Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, July 01, 2012

Braves win, Strasburg succumbs to 106-degree heat

Strasburg (9-3) left after just three innings because of weather-related issues and had three intravenous fluid treatments. He didn’t return to begin the fourth, tying for the shortest outing of his 33-start career.

Braves officials reported no major health problems among the announced crowd of 26,491. The team credited eight free water stations at Turner Field with helping fans cool off.

Strasburg allowed two hits, three runs and four walks. Throwing 36 of his 67 pitches for strikes, Strasburg struck out four to reach 122, most in the majors.

Strasburg took extra time between pitches and walked slowly between innings. He hit an RBI single and left trailing 3-2 after the Braves’ three-run third.

Nationals manager Davey Johnson came out of the dugout after the third to tell home plate umpire Marvin Hudson that Strasburg was leaving as Chien-Ming Wang jogged in from the bullpen.

‘‘Pretty scary, and he wasn’t talking too good,’’ Johnson said. ‘‘I found out later he got a little dizzy out on the mound. The problem was that he was totally dehydrated. I think the doctor gave him, you know, three transfusions of saline, and he still wasn’t going to the bathroom.’‘

Thanks to Ben.

Repoz Posted: July 01, 2012 at 08:11 AM | 91 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: braves, nats

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Flynn Posted: July 01, 2012 at 10:02 AM (#4170440)
Sounds to me like the San Diego kid got taught an unpleasant lesson in how vital it is to stay hydrated in humid weather. Bet we see him with a water bottle in the dugout a lot more this summer.
   2. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: July 01, 2012 at 10:30 AM (#4170446)
This Strasburg fellow sounds like a weird wuss.
   3. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: July 01, 2012 at 10:41 AM (#4170448)
It's not Strasburg's fault Atlanta isn't fit for human habitation for several months a year.
   4. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:14 AM (#4170458)
Obviously, he should've gone with a sundress.
   5. Randy Jones Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:24 AM (#4170460)
Has anyone asked Dusty Baker for his opinion on this?
   6. Dan Szymborski Posted: July 01, 2012 at 12:07 PM (#4170477)
The use of succumb made me think Strasburg died, which I would think would be a bigger story.
   7. boteman digs the circuit clout Posted: July 01, 2012 at 12:22 PM (#4170486)
Having spent 3 miserable months in San Diego, I learned that the weather is the opposite of the paradise portrayed by its Chamber of Horrors Commerce. It's cool, dank, gloomy, windy, and generally the opposite of Atlanta in the dead of Summer.

Besides, it's not Strasburg's fault that they're treating him like noted delicate flower John Patterson. They're just protecting their investment. And keeping his insurance premiums low. That's Allstate's stand, what's yours, Jobu?
   8. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 01, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4170488)
It's been at least 100 degrees in Denver every day for a week now, but you haven't seen any of the Rockies pitchers have to come out of the game after three innings.... OK, lots of them have come out after three innings, but not because of the heat.
   9. Esoteric Posted: July 01, 2012 at 12:55 PM (#4170510)
It's been at least 100 degrees in Denver every day for a week now, but you haven't seen any of the Rockies pitchers have to come out of the game after three innings.... OK, lots of them have come out after three innings, but not because of the heat.
Statements like this make me think that you don't comprehend the difference between 100 degree heat in the Rocky Mountains versus 100 degree heat in Atlanta or Washington, DC. The latter-named are two of the three most inhospitable major cities in America during the summer -- the other one is Houston -- and it's because it doesn't just get HOT, it gets insanely humid as well. It's difference between feeling like you've walked into an oven when you step outside (i.e. hot, but a dry heat) and feeling like you're being waterboarded with soaking wet 104 degree towels. Until you've lived through a DC summer, you simply don't know what you're talking about. This whole region (from NoVA all the way up to Baltimore) used to be one massive Everglades-sized swamp before we drained it and developed it -- and it still retains those weather characteristics to this day.

But maybe I'm just grumpy because I have no power at home (Montgomery County, MD suburbs of DC) and now it's looking like I might not for AN ENTIRE WEEK. IN THE MIDDLE OF A RECORD HEAT WAVE.
   10. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: July 01, 2012 at 12:59 PM (#4170511)
All ######## aside, I've been working outside on some projects yesterday and today and it is *brutal* out there. Just ungodly hot. It's not even really humid by Atlanta standards, but the heat is extreme even for us. I'm shocked that MLB and/or the Braves didn't move today's 12:35 game to 7:35 or 8:00.
   11. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: July 01, 2012 at 01:04 PM (#4170514)
To Esoteric's point, I was washing down the outside of my house today, and I sprayed cold water from the hose up to the metal awning, it dripped back down *the temp of hot shower water.*
   12. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 01, 2012 at 01:13 PM (#4170521)
Until you've lived through a DC summer, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

I lived in Louisiana for five summers, so I think I know what I'm talking about. But if I ever want to talk about the weather in Colorado again, I'll be sure to check with you first.
   13. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 01, 2012 at 01:18 PM (#4170523)
I've lived in Phoenix & I've lived in New Orleans (well, across Pontchartrain), & where I am now -- Montgomery, Ala. -- is very comparable to Atlanta. Humidity definitely adds its own special hellishness, but at a certain point -- 100 or so -- hot is hot, pretty much.
   14. Esoteric Posted: July 01, 2012 at 01:18 PM (#4170524)
I lived in Louisiana for five summers, so I think I know what I'm talking about. But if I ever want to talk about the weather in Colorado again, I'll be sure to check with you first.
Louisiana summers are bad, but not quite as hot and humid as Atlanta and DC. And I have experience with all three, as well as Colorado summers (where it rarely gets to 100 degrees in Denver at any time throughout the year.)
   15. Justin T., Director of Somethin Posted: July 01, 2012 at 01:29 PM (#4170535)
Shut up you assclown.
   16. Esoteric Posted: July 01, 2012 at 01:42 PM (#4170540)
Shut up you assclown.
WTF is this about? It's hot. I have no power. Maybe for a week. All the hotels are booked. All the gas is sold out. I'm in a crappy mood, but I'm not calling people names.
   17. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: July 01, 2012 at 01:43 PM (#4170542)
What kind of imbecile doesn't know enough to pound the ice water when it's hot and humid? Where's the team trainer? Whether he would have lasted a couple more innings or not, he has to either take precautions or be told to take precautions.
   18. The District Attorney Posted: July 01, 2012 at 01:45 PM (#4170545)
WTF is this about?
That's an assclown question, bro.
   19. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: July 01, 2012 at 01:46 PM (#4170547)
Some baseball book (maybe "Ball Four") talked about enduring heat and humidity while playing in the minors. They'd strip the bed down to the sheet, soak the topsheet in cold water, and cover themselves with it and have a fan blowing on them. (Not a groupie, an electric fan, ASSCLOWNS.)
   20. bunyon Posted: July 01, 2012 at 01:53 PM (#4170555)
Dad tells stories of the old metal spikes with little padding wear they'd take the shoes off between innings because the spikes got hot enough to burn their feet.

The flip side of Eso's warning is that lots of easterners go west and suffer heat stroke because they don't FEEL hot. The fact that sweat evaporates and they aren't a sweaty mess makes them think it isn't that hot, so why go inside.

But I will second Rickey (why in hell is Sam calling himself Rickey?); it feels terrible out there. I worked in the yard for a couple of hours, not at peak heat and felt awful.

And also to second Joe. How does that happen? You can only get dehydrated with the resources at his command by being an idiot.
   21. Swedish Chef Posted: July 01, 2012 at 01:53 PM (#4170556)
(Not a groupie, an electric fan, ASSCLOWNS.)

So there's one point where their plan could be improved on.
   22. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 01, 2012 at 02:00 PM (#4170561)
What kind of imbecile doesn't know enough to pound the ice water when it's hot and humid? Where's the team trainer? Whether he would have lasted a couple more innings or not, he has to either take precautions or be told to take precautions.

Thirding this. I mean, Little Miss Strasburg plays in D.C. to begin with (which I'm assured from this thread is pretty much the absolute pit of hell in the summertime), not ####### Nome, Alaska.
   23. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 01, 2012 at 02:00 PM (#4170563)

Check with the possibility of other factors than simple temperature, at least.
   24. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: July 01, 2012 at 02:02 PM (#4170568)
(why in hell is Sam calling himself Rickey?)

This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey want's to play baseball.
   25. Swedish Chef Posted: July 01, 2012 at 02:07 PM (#4170576)
Meanwhile, summer in Sweden has been a total bust so far (but I think the temperature actually dared to inch its way above 20 C today) and I have a cold.
   26. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: July 01, 2012 at 02:18 PM (#4170588)
I don't know if this is in the TFA, but yesterday's 106 was the highest temperature ever recorded in Atlanta. Not the highest June 30 temperature, the highest temp of any day in a place that's generally hot and miserable.
   27. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: July 01, 2012 at 02:29 PM (#4170598)
I'd say this is more the team trainers fault than anything else, given that this is Strasburg's first summer in DC and he grew up in ParadiseSan Diego. And having been to both Arizona and DC during heat waves, there really is something to be said for both Esoteric's and Bunyon's comments. It is ####### painful to be in old government buildings without airconditioning in a suit. I can't imagine being outside doing something athletic in it.

eta: It's over 100 in Pierre, SD? Geez. We need to let more Canadian air immigrate.
   28. Esoteric Posted: July 01, 2012 at 02:34 PM (#4170605)
eta: It's over 100 in Pierre, SD? Geez. We need to let more Canadian air immigrate.
We tried, but unfortunately the BREEZE Act has been stalled in the Senate since 2010. The powerful Humidity Lobby has friends on both sides of the aisle due to its longstanding institutional presence in Washington as a regional powerbroker.
   29. James Newburg is in awe of Cespedes' CORE STRENGTH Posted: July 01, 2012 at 02:41 PM (#4170616)
Big Humidity is always screwing things up.
   30. yb125 Posted: July 01, 2012 at 04:00 PM (#4170730)
I'd say this is more the team trainers fault than anything else, given that this is Strasburg's first summer in DC and he grew up in ParadiseSan Diego.

If this was really just an issue of not drinking enough fluids it's really weird, I've lived in San Diego all my life and while our heat is dry and not that high (depending on what part of SD) every athlete knows to pound the fluids, especially while in the sun. I assume he has been to other places outside San Diego county, traveling for games,camping in Anza Borrego or Joshua Tree? Even if not you'd think that trainers remind them constantly to take in fluids.
   31. Srul Itza At Home Posted: July 01, 2012 at 04:21 PM (#4170760)
So you're saying it gets really hot on the Mainland in the summer, after being really cold in the Winter?

That just doesn't seem fair.

EDIT: And San Diego is not Paradise. That's a couple thousand miles (and change) WSW.
   32. AJMcCringleberry Posted: July 01, 2012 at 04:29 PM (#4170765)
I learned that the weather is the opposite of the paradise portrayed by its Chamber of Horrors Commerce. It's cool, dank, gloomy, windy, and generally the opposite of Atlanta in the dead of Summer.

Sounds perfect to me.
   33. staring out the window and waiting for fenderbelly Posted: July 01, 2012 at 04:33 PM (#4170777)
Having spent 3 miserable months in San Diego, I learned that the weather is the opposite of the paradise portrayed by its Chamber of Horrors Commerce. It's cool, dank, gloomy, windy, and generally the opposite of Atlanta in the dead of Summer.

Ha! June gloomed! It's always amusing to see the beaches crowded in early June as people come to San Diego on summer vacation... Nooooooooooope. 68 and foggy, #######. Try again in September. (Also, the ocean is freezing cold in June. Again - try September.)

As to the southern heat and humidity... I lived in Houston for a while. The difference between that heat and (for example) Arizona is that you can not go outside without sweating. Literally not possible. You can step outside your door and immediately sit in a chair in the shade (with a cooling beverage) - you will still sweat your ass off.

edit - i want to declare my support for Rickey being constitutional as ####.
   34. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: July 01, 2012 at 05:12 PM (#4170812)
On the plus side, we shoved another giant foam rubber tomahawk up Atlanta's ass today, and now lead the season series 6-2, with six of the eight games having been played in Atlanta.
   35. Poster Nutbag Posted: July 01, 2012 at 05:15 PM (#4170816)
And San Diego is not Paradise. That's a couple thousand miles (and change) WSW.

Nope. Paradise, Ca is exactly 588.34 miles away, heading mostly N. ;-)
   36. DA Baracus is a "bloodthirsty fan of Atlanta." Posted: July 01, 2012 at 05:25 PM (#4170822)
Statements like this make me think that you don't comprehend the difference between 100 degree heat in the Rocky Mountains versus 100 degree heat in Atlanta or Washington, DC. The latter-named are two of the three most inhospitable major cities in America during the summer -- the other one is Houston -- and it's because it doesn't just get HOT, it gets insanely humid as well.

Yeah but it hasn't been humid this weekend. It's been southwest hot, not southeast hot.
   37. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: July 01, 2012 at 05:33 PM (#4170828)
So you're saying it gets really hot on the Mainland in the summer, after being really cold in the Winter?

Well, record breaking heat is, by definition, hotter than ever before. And IIRC this winter was pretty warm, at least here in the northeast.
   38. Rafael Bellylard: A failure of the waist. Posted: July 01, 2012 at 05:45 PM (#4170834)
Nope. Paradise, Ca is exactly 588.34 miles away, heading mostly N. ;-)

And the people who live there will tell you it's aptly named. Constantly and without interruption.
   39. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: July 01, 2012 at 05:52 PM (#4170836)
Actually, to correct myself before someone else does. Record breaking heat is hotter than ever RECORDED before.
   40. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 01, 2012 at 07:40 PM (#4170879)
Actually, to correct myself before someone else does. Record breaking heat is hotter than ever RECORDED before.

Steroids!
   41. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: July 01, 2012 at 07:46 PM (#4170882)
The heat in DC is freakish. I've never seen weather like this. But I just got my power back!
   42. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: July 01, 2012 at 08:00 PM (#4170886)
Record breaking heat is hotter than ever RECORDED before.

Homer: Oh Lisa! There's no record of a hurricane ever hitting Springfield.

Lisa: Yes, but the records only go back to 1978 when the Hall of Records was mysteriously blown away!
   43. Kurt Posted: July 01, 2012 at 08:04 PM (#4170889)
An article in Saturday's Washington Post claimed that one of the golfers at Congressional needed medical attention during Friday's round, despite drinking twenty five bottles of water.
   44. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: July 01, 2012 at 08:09 PM (#4170891)
An article in Saturday's Washington Post claimed that one of the golfers at Congressional needed medical attention during Friday's round, despite drinking twenty five bottles of water.

For water intoxication?
   45. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: July 01, 2012 at 08:11 PM (#4170892)

Well, that would do it.
   46. Kurt Posted: July 01, 2012 at 08:18 PM (#4170898)
For water intoxication?

Possibly. "Despite" was the article's characterization, not mine.
   47. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 01, 2012 at 08:46 PM (#4170913)
And I have experience with all three, as well as Colorado summers (where it rarely gets to 100 degrees in Denver at any time throughout the year.)

Hey, that's great to know. I guess it wasn't really 100 degrees five straight days last week.
   48. zack Posted: July 01, 2012 at 08:46 PM (#4170914)
To anyone calling Strasburg a wuss, he was about to walk onto the field when the trainer blocked his path, and you could clearly see him mouth "what the ####?". So I don't think it was his decision. The Nats are babying him.
   49. bunyon Posted: July 01, 2012 at 09:02 PM (#4170922)
Zack, that does change things. If you're going to put him on a season innings limit, a freakishly hot afternoon when he clearly doesn't have his A game is probably a good time to pull him.
   50. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: July 01, 2012 at 09:04 PM (#4170924)
47: From your link, the new record average temperature for June in Denver is now 74.8 degrees. The normal average temperature for DC is higher than that. That's not saying Denver isn't really hot right now and having a serious heat wave, but even that record breaking June would have lowered the average in DC. And that's ignoring the humidity.

eta: there were 9 days above 90 in Denver in June, that's a touch above your average June in Washington.
   51. Esoteric Posted: July 01, 2012 at 09:12 PM (#4170929)
Hey, that's great to know. I guess it wasn't really 100 degrees five straight days last week.
You really need to stop digging.
   52. zenbitz Posted: July 01, 2012 at 09:25 PM (#4170946)
It's not the heat. It's the stupidity.
   53. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 01, 2012 at 09:30 PM (#4170952)
You really need to stop digging.

You're the one who was wrong, pal. Saying it hardly ever gets to 100 in Denver is like saying it almost literally never gets to 106 in Atlanta, so Strasburg should suck it up.

This whole discussion is silly. I never once compared the weather in Denver to the weather in DC or Atlanta or anywhere else. That was all Esoteric's fantasy.
   54. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 01, 2012 at 10:03 PM (#4170968)
I thought Houston was the most humid, sweatiest city I had ever been to, then I drove to Galveston for some reason. It is indeed impossible not to sweat within a minute in those places during the summer. The evenings are not much better. Quite a sight to see all the locals doing their running late in the evening, guess it is the only time to do it, if you' aren't getting out there by 5 am. I could never acclimate to the Gulf regions (says the guy who has no problem with 100 inches of snow, and several days of below zero.)

I've spent lots of time in very dry climates in higher elevations (6000+ ft), and while it does get hot, I can still stand playing a round of golf in it, though nowhere on earth do I crave water as much as I do in locales where it is 90 degrees with a dew point in the 30s.
   55. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:40 PM (#4171007)
thought only old men bickered about who has experienced the worst weather

some of you should join me at the diner for breakfast tomorrow

cash only
   56. Knock on any Iorg Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:42 PM (#4171010)
C-c-c-can we all just get along? Can we all just get along?

(Too soon?)
   57. The District Attorney Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:44 PM (#4171011)
thought only old men bickered about who has experienced the worst weather

some of you should join me at the diner for breakfast tomorrow

cash only
How about dinner at 5 PM?
   58. Moe Greene Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:46 PM (#4171016)
Hey guys. Come to Seattle. I'm still waiting for summer to start.
   59. phredbird Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:47 PM (#4171017)
Louisiana summers are bad, but not quite as hot and humid as Atlanta and DC.

utter and complete hogwash. i've been in wash. in the summer, and atlanta in the summer. there is no comparison. they are both at higher elevations than new orleans, and there is some relief at night.

new orleans is all at sea level or lower, surrounded by swampy ground. it is the most miserable summer city in the US, period.
   60. McCoy Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:47 PM (#4171019)
The diner here on 18th street has no AC!
   61. McCoy Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:49 PM (#4171021)
Statements like this make me think that you don't comprehend the difference between 100 degree heat in the Rocky Mountains versus 100 degree heat in Atlanta or Washington, DC. The latter-named are two of the three most inhospitable major cities in America during the summer -- the other one is Houston -- and it's because it doesn't just get HOT, it gets insanely humid as well. It's difference between feeling like you've walked into an oven when you step outside (i.e. hot, but a dry heat) and feeling like you're being waterboarded with soaking wet 104 degree towels. Until you've lived through a DC summer, you simply don't know what you're talking about. This whole region (from NoVA all the way up to Baltimore) used to be one massive Everglades-sized swamp before we drained it and developed it -- and it still retains those weather characteristics to this day.

But maybe I'm just grumpy because I have no power at home (Montgomery County, MD suburbs of DC) and now it's looking like I might not for AN ENTIRE WEEK. IN THE MIDDLE OF A RECORD HEAT WAVE.

It's cute when non-Chicagoans complain about the weather.
   62. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:50 PM (#4171022)
da

the old bickering session is over breakfast

warning that several did stints in the south pacific or the middle east or places with crazy heat

63. Moe Greene Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:54 PM (#4171024)
I visited Chicago once during Spring Break from university. It was the first week of March. High temps ranged from the mid-20's to lower-30's and snow was piled up everywhere. I was consistently freezing & miserable.

That was enough Chicago for me. Wonderful city, but I can't take that in March.
   64. PreservedFish Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:56 PM (#4171025)
This thread is the lamest ####### dick measuring contest I've ever seen.

I like in Oakland, and the weather is almost always pleasant. Today I was disappointed because it was in the mid 60s, and not the low 70s, as I had expected. So there.
   65. asdf1234 Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:57 PM (#4171026)
Ha! June gloomed! It's always amusing to see the beaches crowded in early June as people come to San Diego on summer vacation... Nooooooooooope. 68 and foggy, #######. Try again in September. (Also, the ocean is freezing cold in June. Again - try September.)

Yep. No use in starting your garden early in SD County, either--you won't see tomatoes until July regardless of how early you get your seedlings in.

I'll take umbrage with the claim that SD County isn't as close as we'll ever come to a North American paradise, though, June gloom and all.
   66. McCoy Posted: July 01, 2012 at 11:57 PM (#4171027)
Chicago has 4 weeks of good weather. 2 weeks in spring and 2 weeks in the fall. The rest of the time it is shvt.
   67. Esoteric Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:08 AM (#4171033)
Hey guys. Come to Seattle. I'm still waiting for summer to start.
Deal. See you there on Tuesday, how about?

(Seriously, I scheduled an impromptu 4th of July vacation with my gf because I needed to escape this hellhole and we figured that Seattle and Vancouver were guaranteed to give us nice, cool, 60-70 degree weather. And also because I've never been to the Pacific Northwest despite actually being a Mariners fan.)
   68. Esoteric Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:10 AM (#4171034)
It's cute when non-Chicagoans complain about the weather.
I lived in Chicago for six years, so I have direct personal year-round experience with the weather there. I LOVE it. I absolutely adore Chicago in the winter -- and I lived directly on Lake Michigan, so I know what it feels like when the wind is howling in your face in early January -- because I LOVE the snow and the wind and cold and the chill. Chicago in the summer is meh; nothing wonderful, but certainly nothing as terrible as Washington.

If I could live in a place that had Chicago-style winters all year 'round, but was also in the U.S.A., I'd move there tomorrow. Nome, AK here we come!
   69. Spahn Insane Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:13 AM (#4171037)
I visited Chicago once during Spring Break from university. It was the first week of March. High temps ranged from the mid-20's to lower-30's and snow was piled up everywhere. I was consistently freezing & miserable.

That was enough Chicago for me. Wonderful city, but I can't take that in March.

Well, this past March we got a solid week of 80-ish temps. Should've paid us a return visit.

It was a freakishly mild winter/early spring, to be sure, but "snow piled up everywhere" in March is also atypical.
   70. Spahn Insane Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:15 AM (#4171038)
Chicago has 4 weeks of good weather. 2 weeks in spring and 2 weeks in the fall. The rest of the time it is shvt.

Every few years, we get that flukish summer where the temp goes above 90 once or twice (instead of the usual 30 or 40 times), and it's absolute paradise.

This summer is not that summer. I'm not looking forward to the next week's weather.
   71. Spahn Insane Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:17 AM (#4171040)
I am, however, particularly grateful that this afternoon's storm with its 90-MPH wind gusts JUST missed where I live by about a half-mile to the south. Losing my a/c for the next week (and both times I've had a power outage, it's lasted 5 days) would not have made me happy.
   72. Moe Greene Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:19 AM (#4171042)
Deal. See you there on Tuesday, how about?

(Seriously, I scheduled an impromptu 4th of July vacation with my gf because I needed to escape this hellhole and we figured that Seattle and Vancouver were guaranteed to give us nice, cool, 60-70 degree weather. And also because I've never been to the Pacific Northwest despite actually being a Mariners fan.)

Well, you're in for a treat, as 60-70 is where we've been for most of the past 2 months. Hopefully the sun will peek through while you're here and you'll get to enjoy some outdoor activities.
   73. McCoy Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:21 AM (#4171043)
Having lived in virtually all regions of continental USA, including DC for 3 years, I can safely say people who think DC weather is brutal have sand in their vagina.

I haven't turned my AC on once while I have lived in DC or NoVA in the three years and counting that I've been here.
   74. BourbonSamurai Is a Lazy Nogoodnik Posted: July 02, 2012 at 06:38 AM (#4171075)
Have just left D.C. for Bangkok, which feels relaxing and cool by comparison.
   75. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: July 02, 2012 at 09:25 AM (#4171123)
I like in Oakland, and the weather is almost always pleasant.

And then he was shot.
   76. BDC Posted: July 02, 2012 at 10:41 AM (#4171168)
Hmmn, I feel qualified to post in a where-is-it-hotter thread :) Actually the projected high for DFW today is 93, cloudy with showers ‐ a little bit cooler than New England when I left there yesterday. People in Massachusetts and Connecticut were flattened by heat that we'd consider a cold snap.

Everything's relative, really. I do find it interesting how often baseball players, supposedly young and fit men, have to be hospitalized or treated with intravenous fluids or what-not, for incidents that the rest of us would truly just have to deal with. But as noted upthread, their employers will spare no expense to keep them in good nick.
   77. zack Posted: July 02, 2012 at 10:57 AM (#4171187)
Everything's relative, really. I do find it interesting how often baseball players, supposedly young and fit men, have to be hospitalized or treated with intravenous fluids or what-not, for incidents that the rest of us would truly just have to deal with. But as noted upthread, their employers will spare no expense to keep them in good nick.

It's pretty easy to screw up, I do it occassionally, I think the difference is just that when I do it I hork a gatorade and pass out in the shade; when they do it, somebody calls a waaahmabulance.
   78. toratoratora Posted: July 02, 2012 at 10:58 AM (#4171188)
Louisiana summers are bad, but not quite as hot and humid as Atlanta and DC.

utter and complete hogwash. i've been in wash. in the summer, and atlanta in the summer. there is no comparison. they are both at higher elevations than new orleans, and there is some relief at night.

new orleans is all at sea level or lower, surrounded by swampy ground. it is the most miserable summer city in the US, period.

This.
I grew up in the DC area, lived here most my life before I moved to the Big Sleazy for a few years.
DC has nothing on NO.
The first two weeks I lived there I didn't see the sun once-it just rained non-stop.
When it cleared, it was like 110 with 99% humidity for months on end.Brutal heat that hit like a wall, made DC seem like a nice cool place to live. But it's not so much the heat that gets ya, it's the humidity. Between the swamp and the latitude, NO is tropics level hot.There's no place in the US quite like it
People mow their lawns at 6 AM because it's insanity to do it later...which says everything AFAIC
   79. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: July 02, 2012 at 11:10 AM (#4171200)
Everything's relative, really.

In Georgia everything's more relative than in Colorado.
   80. PreservedFish Posted: July 02, 2012 at 11:11 AM (#4171202)
But it's not so much the heat that gets ya, it's the humidity.

Wait... explain.
   81. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: July 02, 2012 at 11:27 AM (#4171228)
Having lived in virtually all regions of continental USA, including DC for 3 years, I can safely say people who think DC weather is brutal have sand in their vagina. I haven't turned my AC on once while I have lived in DC or NoVA in the three years and counting that I've been here.

I used to be able to get by with just fans in my younger years, but I can't do it any more.

But other than the hot and humid summers, the weather in the D.C. area generally speaking isn't really all that bad. That crazy winter we had a couple of years ago was definitely an anomaly.
   82. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: July 02, 2012 at 11:30 AM (#4171235)
It all depends on what you're measuring. The hottest place in the U. S. on an ongoing basis is Death Valley in the Summer. Aside from that, right now it's 115 in parts of Kansas, and I doubt if either N'Orlins or DC can top that. Up until not that long ago, the hottest prolonged U. S. heat wave in recorded history was in the northern plains states in 1936. And at this point I wouldn't be surprised if DC shattered all its existing records for the number of days with highs over 90. And don't kid yourself with the idea that DC doesn't get the humidity along with it.

That said, you can't compare a city like Washington to New Orleans. DC Summers can begin as early as mid-June, but in nearly all years you'll have bits of relief during between then and the beginning of July. Last Monday our high was only 79 with low humidity. And the worst Summer weather here almost never lasts all that much beyond Labor Day, and often eases off by late August.

By contrast, New Orleans Summers start earlier, end later, and are even more likely to have long stretches of unbroken misery than Washington, hard as that may be for us Washingtonians to believe. I also doubt if New Orleans ever has the equivalents of Washington Springs or Autumns, which some years can make us feel we're in Southern California.

OTOH we're still stuck with Dan Snyder, and not even Bountygate can match that for pure punishment, let alone a mere thing like weather.

83. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: July 02, 2012 at 11:34 AM (#4171243)
Having lived in virtually all regions of continental USA, including DC for 3 years, I can safely say people who think DC weather is brutal have sand in their vagina.

I haven't turned my AC on once while I have lived in DC or NoVA in the three years and counting that I've been here.

And I once knew a guy who walked around in a T-shirt and shorts in 5 degree temperatures. Like you, he either possessed some Godlike power of mind over matter, or more likely, he was simply insane. (smile)

84. McCoy Posted: July 02, 2012 at 11:57 AM (#4171274)
And I once knew a guy who walked around in a T-shirt and shorts in 5 degree temperatur

You see that a lot in Wisconsin and Illinois or at least I did. Husky teenage boys walking around in the snow in long shorts and crocs or snadals and socks. Are you stupid?
   85. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:06 PM (#4171283)
People in Massachusetts and Connecticut were flattened by heat that we'd consider a cold snap.

Yeah, but at least we don't freak out over 3 inches of snow. Boston actually has relatively decent weather. Sure it rains pretty much every day from mid May to mid June, and it's humid in the summer, but it's neither that hot nor that cold due to being on the coast and it doesn't get nearly as much snow as inland.

Minneapolis was the best place for the difference in weather you got from dead winter to dog days of summer. From below zero fahrenheit with more wind than Chicago for a couple weeks each winter to your annual summer 10 day heat wave with high humidity and temperatures topping 100 for a few days. The summers aren't so much bad as whiplash from the winters.
   86. Spahn Insane Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:15 PM (#4171299)
I was in New Orleans for Halloween week last year, and it was uncharacteristically cool--highs around 65 almost every day; I don't think even the warmest day was more than 75. Man, that was fantastic, since that's a really walkable city when the weather makes it sufferable to actually walk.

It was my second trip there; my first was for my first honeymoon, in mid-May '98. Then they were in the midst of a month-long drought, and it was well before the height of summer, and it was still the worst humidity I've ever experienced.
   87. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:23 PM (#4171311)
Minneapolis was the best place for the difference in weather you got from dead winter to dog days of summer. From below zero fahrenheit with more wind than Chicago for a couple weeks each winter to your annual summer 10 day heat wave with high humidity and temperatures topping 100 for a few days. The summers aren't so much bad as whiplash from the winters.

I lived in North Dakota for several years. One year, the range between our high and low was about 140 degrees. Where I live now, it's usually ~ 45 degrees (High of ~ 90, low of ~ 45).
   88. JustDan Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4171312)
But it's not so much the heat that gets ya, it's the humidity.

Wait... explain.

Because your sweat doesn't evaporate as easily
   89. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:36 PM (#4171331)
Climate averages for July for a few cities mentioned here:

High  Mean Dew point 
New Orleans  90    82   74
Washington   88    79   66
Atlanta      88    79   68
Chicago      83    74   62
Denver       88    73   48 

It's the dew point that's the killer. The average top heat index (what the heat+humidity roughly feels like) for New Orleans is 99, for Atlanta it's 92.

EDIT: The average high heat index in Denver is only 85 -- less than the actual average high temperature. Low humidity is a good thing.

And Chicago is miserable right now, but it's generally not that bad in the summer, by American standards. It averages 23 90+ days a year -- not a huge number. There's often a breeze, there's the lake to moderate things, and dew points in the 70s are not especially common. It's also rare to have brutal summer temperatures start in May or early June and persist into late September and early October, like they can in more southerly places.
   90. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4171340)
I lived in North Dakota for several years. One year, the range between our high and low was about 140 degrees. Where I live now, it's usually ~ 45 degrees (High of ~ 90, low of ~ 45).

The record for Minneapolis was back in 1936. -36 on January 22nd, 108 on July 14 for a 144 degree difference. While I was there the biggest gap I can figure out was 2009, yearly low around -20, annual high around 100 for a difference of 120 degrees. The thing about the winters, though, is that you get used to them. The average January high is in the teens, and there's usually a cold snap that keeps the thermometer down around zero for a few weeks. When it bumps up to 30 degrees after that, and the sun is out, it feels like late spring.
   91. BDC Posted: July 02, 2012 at 12:55 PM (#4171360)
Interesting, Fernigal. Normal July dewpoint in DFW is a balmy 69.5. Last year, when we had a week of 107-110 degree highs in August, the humidity was also pretty extreme (dewpoints in the mid-60s). We had a week where the low temperatures were 86 (at about 5am). You'd go outside to try to have your coffee in the morning and it would be humid and near 90, and you'd freak out and head for cover. Midafternoon was almost more bearable. (By contrast, the normal July/August dewpoint in Phoenix is in the high fifties.)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.