Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Brent Lillibridge channels inner ‘nerd’

On the eve of what can be described as a do-or-die series against the Minnesota Twins, Chicago White Sox second baseman Brent Lillibridge was so excited he sounded like a kid in a candy store.

Or a video game geek in line for the latest version of “Halo.”

“Most important night of the year Halo coming out at 12 tonight and yes I’m in a line to get it… Jokes please,” Lillibridge tweeted at approximately 11 p.m. (CT) Monday.

Lillibridge, 26, even tweeted a picture of the line he was standing in, but his enthusiasm was not shared by teammate Mark Teahen.

“Brent, get to bed. Take Gavin, Thornton & Putz with you. Halo will survive the night without you,” Teahen tweeted, referring to pitchers Gavin Floyd, Matt Thornton and J.J. Putz.

The White Sox host the Twins on Tuesday night and are six games behind in the American League Central. Lillibridge, a backup who’s had just one at-bat in the past three games, wanted to make sure Teahen knew he would be well-rested for the game, but he has passions other than baseball.

“I promise I’ll be in bed early 2nite Noone wants to win more than I do. As much as I luv playing bball I have a lot of nerd in me,” Lillibridge tweeted.

ESPN targeting the nerd audience I guess - this story was on the front page.

Zipperholes Posted: September 14, 2010 at 05:52 PM | 221 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baseball geeks, white sox

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Blackadder Posted: September 17, 2010 at 02:06 AM (#3642446)
My friend, who doesn't really like console shooters, had a much better analogy: being good at console shooters is like being good at running in high heels. Sure it can be hard, but why impose such a big burden on yourself? I don't entirely agree, but I have to admit it was pretty funny.

As for video game accomplishments, hmmm, nothing that impressive comes to mind. I had a no glitch 70 star run of Mario 64 in about 1:40, which is not terrible, but it was really only about the fourth or fifth time I ran it. Even without incorporating the much better strategies the speed runner who are actually good use I definitely could have improved.

For feats of video game endurance, I think my record is a little under 22 hours straight of Final Fantasy VII.
   202. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 17, 2010 at 03:53 PM (#3642721)
On STEAM you can get TF2 and L4D2 for $20 each, and HL2 (w/ Counter-Strike) for $8. C'mon cheapskates, let's get a game going!
   203. McCoy Posted: September 17, 2010 at 04:11 PM (#3642734)
That all looks like cousins of R2-D2 and C-3PO
   204. Paul D(uda) Posted: September 17, 2010 at 04:37 PM (#3642759)
Y R, that's a good idea, someone should start a primer group on Steam.
   205. formerly dp Posted: September 17, 2010 at 04:48 PM (#3642769)
It's the controller. You can actually plug your Xbox360 controller into a PC and it works just fine.

Haven't made it through the thread yet (SC2 chewing up my mornings), but I'm amazed at how few people realize this. It works pretty smoothly in most games.

Even at a medium level, SC/SC2 are great blends of tactics(micro) and strategy(macro). The tactics of the game may not map to real world military tactics, but it's height of ignorance to say that there aren't tactics in the game, when you are literally controlling every aspect of what route your units take, which units they attack, what order they attack in, when they push and when they run, and when they use special abilities (blink, cloak, etc.)

At a strategy level, what it gets better than Civ (and believe me, you will not find a bigger Civ fan) is a very tight balance between units and their counters, which puts a huge premium on continuous recon. Because there are effective counters for every unit in the game, knowing what the opponent is up to at any given time is key.

Huge SC1 player, played excessively until 2 came out, and I'm amazed at how 2 has grown on me the more I play. Macro wins games in the long run, but you can't survive without being able to micro. I never play 1v1, only 3v3. Good communication is essential. I'm about a .500 player right now, which I'm happy with.

It does put a premium on attention/multitasking skills, but that's one of the things that's cool about the game -- in fact, it's often optimal use an economically suboptimal strategy that allows you to harass your opponent effectively and knock them off their game.

1 harass 2 tech strategy in 3v3 works every time. The game is brilliantly fun. I think they'll tweak some units in a patch, but in general I'm happy that some of the older killer strategies from SC1 don't work at all in SC2.
   206. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 17, 2010 at 04:48 PM (#3642770)
I don't know how many people would be interested, but I could get the group set up on STEAM. Who's in? Or are we the sort of group that doesn't spend enough time on our computers in our mothers' basements?
   207. Accent Shallow Posted: September 17, 2010 at 04:50 PM (#3642775)
My favorite achievement? Beating Quake on Nightmare (many years ago, HS era). Unfortunately, I've had all laptops since college, which has really put a damper on my gaming, non-Civilization division. It's tough to get to Bronze Age in 12 minutes with a laptop mouse.
   208. formerly dp Posted: September 17, 2010 at 05:03 PM (#3642786)
I do think terran is the easiest to play well, and so a lot of lower-skilled players have gotten the impression that terran is overpowered when that might not be the case.

I've always thought toss was easiest (I play as toss pretty much exclusively, so might be biased, but I thought that was a fairly accepted consensus). Terran requires climbing too many tech trees for units to be most effective. Right now, Void Rays seem incredibly overpowered. If you can micro your Rays well, it's the easiest way to disrupt econ. DT rush was my favorite SC1 strategy, now it's becoming VR rush even though it feels cheap.

Re: Console vs. PC- Right now, developers are making games that scale incredibly well on old hardware. This wasn't always the case, but there's very few games that require a brand-new $1500+ machine to run smoothly. The new ATI and nvidia cards are overkill for anything currently on the market, and I don't know if we'll see a swing back to game companies publishing games that shame users into upgrading their gear, at least not in this economy.

I have a 360, PS3, and beastly gaming rig, and if it wasn't for SC, I wouldn't game much on my PC. I'd rather sit on the couch to game. Until I can wirelessly stream video from my desktop to my living room, I don't see that changing much- 50" plasma looks better than my 27" monitor, even though the monitor has better resolution.
   209. with Glavinesque control and Madduxian poise Posted: September 17, 2010 at 07:53 PM (#3642951)
I've always thought toss was easiest (I play as toss pretty much exclusively, so might be biased, but I thought that was a fairly accepted consensus). Terran requires climbing too many tech trees for units to be most effective. Right now, Void Rays seem incredibly overpowered. If you can micro your Rays well, it's the easiest way to disrupt econ. DT rush was my favorite SC1 strategy, now it's becoming VR rush even though it feels cheap.

I don't think this is the consensus at all. Marine/marauder armies with stim are ridiculously powerful and absolutely destroy any protoss army before colossi or temps...until the toss gets good at forcefield micro.

Void rays work on a ton of people, sure, but it's honestly not all that difficult to disrupt. Zerg just needs even numbers of queens, and terran just needs marines, which they should have anyway. Voids are actually most effective, imo, on protoss, because they kill stalkers pretty well.

Edit: I, too, play toss, though probably 70/30 1v1/team games.
   210. Blackadder Posted: September 18, 2010 at 04:37 PM (#3643380)
Hehe, that's funny, my roommate and I just got Left 4 Dead 2 last night (I didn't look at this thread). Awesome game, highly recommended even if you aren't a shooter fan, and runs really well on my decidedly non-gaming laptop. A Steam group sounds like a cool idea, although I think I want more than 63 minutes of practice before I have Y_R puking green sh!t on me from some bizarre location :)
   211. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 18, 2010 at 04:57 PM (#3643390)
The only game I ever mastered was old arcade Q*Bert. I once played a six-hour game on one quarter, and even at that, I only quit because I happened to look over at a wall and "saw" a faint image of the game's block pyramid. I figured I'd better stop before I developed Q*taracts.
   212. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: September 27, 2010 at 09:19 PM (#3649772)
What could be more appropriate than to reanimate this thread with a zombie update:

LEFT 4 DEAD "THE SACRIFICE" COMING OCTOBER 5

Latest DLC Coming to Both L4D1 & L4D2

September 27, 2010 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the new add-on for its co-operative zombie thrillers -- "The Sacrifice," in development for both Left 4 Dead (L4D) and Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) -- is due for release on October 5, 2010.

In The Sacrifice for Left 4 Dead 2 owners receive "The Sacrifice" campaign playable with the Left 4 Dead Survivors. In addition, those with Left 4 Dead 2 receive L4D's "No Mercy" campaign. Both campaigns are playable in Campaign, Versus, Survival, and Scavenge modes and both will feature the Left 4 Dead 2 Special Infected, items, and weapons. Yes, Zoey with a chainsaw!

Targeted for release on October 5th, "The Sacrifice" will be available for download on Xbox Live for 560 Microsoft Points and free to all PC gamers.

Suckers.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dingbat_Charlie
for his generous support.