Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Brewers look to emulate 1982 AL champions

MILWAUKEE—Cecil Cooper willed the baseball to earth and Charlie Moore greeted Jim Gantner at home plate with a hug. Marshall Edwards made a catch. Robin Yount fielded Rod Carew’s grounder and threw him out at first base.

And Dwayne Mosely, who had the radio call while Bob Uecker was poised to interview players in the wake of the Brewers’ pennant-clinching win in Game 5 of the American League Championship Series, bellowed, “Milwaukee, you have a World Series!”

It all happened 36 years ago today.

So, which one’s trying to be Gorman Thomas?

QLE Posted: October 10, 2018 at 06:11 AM | 43 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: 1982, brewers

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. TomH Posted: October 10, 2018 at 08:05 AM (#5763834)
Let's hope Josh Hader is not Rollie "out with an injury" Fingers, possibly costing the Brewers what would be their only trophy. Surely they were a better team than the Cards that year.
   2. ajnrules Posted: October 10, 2018 at 09:16 AM (#5763866)
I dunno, The Chicken's Wall-Bangers doesn't quite have the same ring.
   3. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: October 10, 2018 at 09:23 AM (#5763872)
Heh - despite being a Cubs fan all my life, Harvey's Wallbangers are actually the first team I remember fairly well.

I had not yet learned to hate the Cardinals as much as I was supposed to, so my dad suggested I should root for the Brewers because Harvey Kuenn once played for the Cubs. Plus, of course, all the cool facial hair.

I've always felt a bit of debt to that Brewers team for teaching me the lesson about sporting disappointment and how to handle it in a mildest, almost scrimmage kind of way - kept me from being a serial killer after 1984 (so far as any of you know!).

So, despite wresting our rightful division title from our grubby, cubby hands....

Go Crew.
   4. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 10, 2018 at 01:28 PM (#5764072)
When I eat lunch in my office, I use a placemat. It's a 1982 American League Champions (Milwaukee Brewers) McDonald's Placemat. It features drawn portraits of Gorman Thomas and Mike Caldwell, headshots, and then a couple action shots. It then has their 'back of baseball card' stats and a big 'ball and glove logo' in the center. It is glorious. If they made one with Aguilar and Chacin, I'd buy 'em.

Aside from being a homer, the '82 Series is definitely one of 2 or 3 in my lifetime that leave me saying 'How the F did they lose to that team.'
   5. SoSH U at work Posted: October 10, 2018 at 01:35 PM (#5764077)
The '82 Brewers were the dirtiest team in my lifetime. Not in terms of how they played. But they were simply filthy. Mike Caldwell's cap alone needed to be removed by a Haz-Mat crew.

I hope they make it back.
   6. -- Posted: October 10, 2018 at 01:38 PM (#5764080)
Two very contrasting styles -- Cardinals only hit 67 HRs in the regular season, Brewers 216. Cardinals led the NL in OBP and SBs. Cardinals outscored the Brewers 39-33 in the Series, and only lost the HR battle 5-4.
   7. -- Posted: October 10, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5764088)
The '82 Brewers were the dirtiest team in my lifetime. Not in terms of how they played. But they were simply filthy. Mike Caldwell's cap alone needed to be removed by a Haz-Mat crew.

And he might not even have been #1 on the team; Charlie Brown's friend Pig Pen was cleaner than Gorman Thomas. Fun team, fun season.
   8. -- Posted: October 10, 2018 at 01:48 PM (#5764095)
Beautiful piece of other-way hitting by Cecil Cooper on the game-winning hit in Game 5 of the ALCS.(*) Memories from live watching BITD of the place shaking even when they cut to Cooper at first, essentially confirmed.

Link

(*) Not to get too nostalgic, but when some of us complain about the shifts and TTO baseball, that swing and that approach right there at that moment pretty much encapsulates what we're talking about.
   9. SoSH U at work Posted: October 10, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5764103)
And he might not even have been #1 on the team; Charlie Brown's friend Pig Pen was cleaner than Gorman Thomas. Fun team, fun season.

Agreed. Thomas was delightfully gross.
   10. Batman Posted: October 10, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5764109)
The Brewers of that era were the American Leaguiest team and the Astros were second to the Cardinals as NL-est. And now we're supposed to act like it's OK that they're both in the wrong league.
   11. dlf Posted: October 10, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5764142)

Pete Vuckovich gives both of them a run for their money.

I like Vuck's page on IMDB. His filmography shows one acting role - his star turn as the slugging 1B for the hated Yankees in Major League - plus two other appearances: "1982 World Series (TV Mini-Series)" and "1982 American League Championship Series (TV Series)" where he appeared as "Himself - Milwaukee Brewers Pitcher."
   12. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 10, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5764155)

And how could anyone forget the Harvey of Harvey's Wallbangers, who'd limp out to replace his pitchers on his wooden leg while spraying tobacco juice right and left? He was the perfect fit for a perfect team.
   13. John DiFool2 Posted: October 10, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5764166)
Did our Harvey shuffle off of the mortal coil awhile back, as intimated in another thread?
   14. Rally Posted: October 10, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5764169)
And how could anyone forget the Harvey of Harvey's Wallbangers, who'd limp out to replace his pitchers on his wooden leg while spraying tobacco juice right and left? He was the perfect fit for a perfect team.

Once again a point of how it used to be a job requirement that a manager look much older than his chronological age. Harvey in 1982 was all of 4 years older than Craig Counsell is today.
   15. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: October 10, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5764171)
Did our Harvey shuffle off of the mortal coil awhile back, as intimated in another thread?

Sadly yes.

Word has it that the current hurricane bashing the crap out of Florida is actually an ethereal irrigation dispute writ multi-planal.
   16. -- Posted: October 10, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5764219)
Harvey in 1982 was all of 4 years older than Craig Counsell is today.

Kuenn at 52 then -- !!! -- runs neck and neck with Ohio State Buckeye center Granville Waiters for the 1982 Sports Figure Who Looked The Most Older Than Their Actual Age. For decades, I thought Waiters ran away with it (*), but was under the badly flawed assumption that had he not assumed the helm of the Crew, Harvey would have been home living off Social Security.

(*) Any Big Ten basketball fan alive at the time knows exactly what I mean here. Coincidentally, the record was threatened if not broken by yet another Ohio State center -- Greg Oden. I'd still go with Granville, if for no more than having the hairline and accompanying style -- somehow simultaneously both badly balding and full -- of a guy in his 50s ... at age 21. His hair on the very eve of the Rockwell curl gel era was something to see, and of course had he been born 10 years later he would have just had gone into the barbershop starting at around age 17 and told the barber to just shave it all off.
   17. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: October 10, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5764229)
I doubt there was much shuffling involved. Harvey's probably told the mortal coil to f*** off.
   18. puck Posted: October 10, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5764239)

I like Vuck's page on IMDB. His filmography shows one acting role - his star turn as the slugging 1B for the hated Yankees in Major League

OF course with Uek's line "he leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair." I had forgotten this part, "when he sneezes, he looks like a party favor."
   19. Perry Posted: October 10, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5764279)
Harvey in 1982 was all of 4 years older than Craig Counsell is today.

Sparky Anderson in 1982 was the same age as Counsell now.
   20. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 10, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5764282)
Beautiful piece of other-way hitting by Cecil Cooper on the game-winning hit in Game 5 of the ALCS.
That was the first time baseball completely broke my heart. It wasn't the last time.
   21. Rally Posted: October 10, 2018 at 05:32 PM (#5764316)
Harvey’s Wallbangers had to beat the Orioles in the last game of the year to make the playoffs. Their legendary manager was in his final year (at least that’s what was thought in 1982) and also a mere 51 years of age.
   22. SoSH U at work Posted: October 10, 2018 at 05:42 PM (#5764323)
Harvey’s Wallbangers had to beat the Orioles in the last game of the year to make the playoffs. Their legendary manager was in his final year (at least that’s what was thought in 1982) and also a mere 51 years of age.

Game 163 for both teams, only because of an earlier tie against those O's.

23. perros Posted: October 10, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5764332)
Did anybody ever meet the legendary Harvey?
   24. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 10, 2018 at 05:48 PM (#5764334)
All the way down the bench they had slobby guys. Ladd, Slaton brouhard, Charlie Moore. Augustine, Bernard. A young Doug Jones was on that roster shortly.
   25. PreservedFish Posted: October 10, 2018 at 05:48 PM (#5764335)

Once again a point of how it used to be a job requirement that a manager look much older than his chronological age.

It really is astonishing. Are there other jobs with a strong intrinsic bias towards hiring the prematurely aged? It makes a certain sense in baseball - you want someone fresh enough to relate to current players and be up on current trends and still have some mental acuity, but old enough to command respect. A grizzled mug commands more respect than a babyface, I think. But I guess you could say that about any supervisory role.
   26. SoSH U at work Posted: October 10, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5764336)

His neighbor wishes he hadn't.
   27. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 10, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5764340)
Well, the Doobie Brothers snagged Michael McDonald. He looked 55 when he was 25.
   28. Batman Posted: October 10, 2018 at 06:03 PM (#5764346)
Kuenn at 52 then -- !!! -- runs neck and neck with Ohio State Buckeye center Granville Waiters for the 1982 Sports Figure Who Looked The Most Older Than Their Actual Age. For decades, I thought Waiters ran away with it (*), but was under the badly flawed assumption that had he not assumed the helm of the Crew, Harvey would have been home living off Social Security.
When Waiters was with the Bulls, I remember a Chicago TV news guy (Warner Saunders) used to say he was his favorite player because they kind of looked alike. Saunders was 26 years older than Waiters.

Saunders died yesterday and it made the news this morning, which reminded me of Granville Waiters. This thread makes two times I've thought about Granville Waiters today, and that must an omen or something.
   29. -- Posted: October 10, 2018 at 06:06 PM (#5764351)
Add Bob (The Accountant) (*) Weiss, former Buffalo Braves guard, to the list. Super 70s Sports Twitter account has a field day with the guy; he actually played in the NBA (**) with a balding, graying pate the likes of which you never really see anymore.(***) Looked early 50s at 33. Became an NBA head coach maybe like 25 years later and looked like two years older.

(*) Not his nickname, but it should have been.

(**) Eleven minutes off the bench in Game 3 of the 1976 playoff miniseries against the Sixers, a staple of NBA Hardwood Classics.

(***) Former Maryland congressman and Terrapin star Tom McMillian was rocking at least 50% gray hair in his over the ears full mop (and that's conservative) as a 31 year old Washington Bullet when I saw him from a pretty good seat against the Pistons in 1984. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but gray hair on pro athletes is something we don't really see anymore. As can be seen with the flick of a comparative mouse on YouTube, Rick Barry regularly defiled the CBS airways with his awful toupee as the vain 31 year old alpha of the defending champion 1976 Golden State Warriors.
   30. Rally Posted: October 10, 2018 at 07:39 PM (#5764393)
Maybe we just don’t have many older players right now. Among the few we have, Chase Utley has plenty of gray and Albert Pujols has been bald for quite some time.

John Smoltz is a fairly recent player who went bald but didn’t shave it all off. I never thought he looked older than his years. Perhaps he just kept himself in better shape than most.
   31. Booey Posted: October 10, 2018 at 08:38 PM (#5764413)
Between the premature balding and graying, late career Ripken always looked older than he was, but not ridiculously so.

The modern (ish) player that always struck me as looking 10-20 years older than he really was was Otis Nixon. He would've fit right in in the 1910's and '20's when everyone looked positively ancient by the time they retired (Honus Wagner, Tris Speaker, Grover Alexander, Eddie Collins, etc all could've passed for 60 or 70 when they were 40-ish).
   32. Rally Posted: October 10, 2018 at 08:40 PM (#5764416)
The modern (ish) player that always struck me as looking 10-20 years older than he really was was Otis Nixon.

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.
   33. Booey Posted: October 10, 2018 at 08:42 PM (#5764418)
The '82 Brewers couldn't have been any grungier than the 1993 Phillies, could they? Dykstra, Kruk, Daulton, Schilling, Hollins, Mitch Williams, etc.
   34. Rally Posted: October 10, 2018 at 08:55 PM (#5764420)
I'm curious as to whether managers in general are starting out older than they used to. For example, Earl Weaver retired at 51 after the 1982 season. He didn't stay retired, but he was definitely retired, didn't get fired or walk away to pursue other jobs. Earl was a legend at that point, having managed the Orioles for 15 years.

Torey Lovullo was a rookie manager in 2017, he was 51. That's cherry picking of course. The Rookie managers from last night's game were 42 (Cora) and 45 (Boone). I'll have to check if there's a general trend either way.

35. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: October 10, 2018 at 09:07 PM (#5764426)
Harvey’s Wallbangers had to beat the Orioles in the last game of the year to make the playoffs.

Robin Yount went into that last game trailing Willie Wilson by a few points in the batting title race. Yount played of course. Wilson sat out, pending Yount's results. Yount went 3-4 through 8, bringing him within a point of Wilson, and was due up 5th in the 9th. If Yount batted in the 9th and got a hit and Wilson didn't bat, Yount would win the batting title. If Yount didn't bat, or had a non-AB PA like a walk, and Wilson batted and made an out, Yount would win the batting title. The Royals-A's game was in the bottom of the 9th as the Brewers-Orioles was in the top of the 9th. The Royals somehow got A's manager Billy Martin to help stall for time with a mound visit in order to extend the time to see what Yount's final PA resulted in and allow Wilson to PH if necessary. Yount was HBP, and Wilson stayed on the bench, securing the title.
   36. perros Posted: October 10, 2018 at 09:12 PM (#5764428)
Being a millionaire slows the aging process significantly. Plus nobody's ducking into the clubhouse for a smoke anymore.
   37. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: October 10, 2018 at 11:41 PM (#5764459)

If he bought a bag of peanuts (or Dove Bar, Nachos, hot dog, etc.) from a vendor in the early to late 90s at County Stadium, then I probably met him, otherwise, I did not. I never did card anybody for peanuts. Our land never saw any tremendous flooding either, so no.
   38. Perry Posted: October 10, 2018 at 11:44 PM (#5764460)
The modern (ish) player that always struck me as looking 10-20 years older than he really was was Otis Nixon.

Jim Thome always looked like he would have fit in in the 50s, or even the 30s.
   39. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: October 11, 2018 at 12:05 AM (#5764462)
Jim Thome always looked like he would have fit in in the 50s, or even the 30s.

Well by that standard, half of today's players look like they would fit into the 1890's.
   40. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 11, 2018 at 09:37 AM (#5764506)
I suppose I'm the only one around here who remembers Harvey Kuenn as a 21 year old rookie shortstop for the Tigers, and hard as it might be to believe, one year he even had 1.7 dWAR at that position. Paul Richards once accused him of lacing his chewing tobacco with steroids, but since Kuenn always swallowed his wad after chewing all the vitamins out of it, there was never any physical evidence to back up Richards' accusation.
   41. DL from MN Posted: October 11, 2018 at 10:26 AM (#5764535)
Thome is way too tall to be pre 1950.
   42. Spahn Insane Posted: October 11, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5764549)
Sparky Anderson in 1982 was the same age as Counsell now.

I remember being blown away in 1983 when Topps started (or resumed, don't know which) putting manager cards in their sets, and I first saw Anderson's birth date. Even 11-year-old me thought it was a misprint. He was under 50 at the time, which seems impossible. (Indeed, he was only about a year and a half older than I am now. **sob**)

Between Anderson, Kuenn and Earl Weaver, there was a lot of premature aging among AL East managers at that point.
   43. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: October 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM (#5764551)
Between Anderson, Kuenn and Earl Weaver, there was a lot of premature aging among AL East managers at that point.

in the 1970 WS, Anderson was 36 and Weaver was 40 and both looked to be in their mid-50s

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Darren
for his generous support.