Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Brisbee: The worst commercials of the postseason

You’re risking an advertiser’s life!

Of course you hate the commercials playing during the playoffs this year. You hate them every year. A decade later, there’s still a subset of baseball fans who twitch and mumble “zzznnzzxx her father is the district attorney zznnnxxx” in their sleep.

So when your friends, roommates, family members or significant others complain that you watch too much baseball, let them know that you have suffered for your hobby. Lo, how you have suffered. The worst commercials of the postseason, ranked in increasing order of awfulness.

Brian White Posted: October 17, 2012 at 07:03 PM | 183 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: tv

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: October 19, 2012 at 09:03 AM (#4276426)
Is inflating a tire really that complicated a task?
   102. Tom Nawrocki Posted: October 19, 2012 at 09:15 AM (#4276438)
The GEICO "happy" ads seem so arbitrary at times. Why would a bodybuilder be happy directing traffic, since there are better ways to show off his muscles?

The Geico ads are generally pretty clever, but I have to fault them greatly for two things:

1. The gecko is now officially the most played-out character in advertising history. Every time I see it in a commercial, I want to go put on my work boots and step on it.

2. It induced other insurance companies to create truly heinous "fun" commercials, like the ones with the Allstate "mayhem" guy or the ones where frat boys summon an insurance agent by chanting "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there." It's insurance! The commercials are SUPPOSED to be boring!
   103. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 09:43 AM (#4276459)
The gecko is now officially the most played-out character in advertising history.

More than the Energizer Bunny?
   104. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: October 19, 2012 at 09:47 AM (#4276465)
I get a kick out of the State Farm commercials. The first few were kind of lame but then they figured out that they could use the theory in pretty outrageous situations and it's always amusing.

I like the gecko too. A big reason for that is I work with someone who I firmly believe IS the GEICO gecko. He's a 5'4", 120 pound English guy and sounds just like the gecko. It's really comical. Every time I see the commercial I think of Dan.
   105. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 09:48 AM (#4276467)
The gecko had lost me somewhat, but he got it back with that ad set in the Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote universe.
   106. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 09:52 AM (#4276470)

2. It induced other insurance companies to create truly heinous "fun" commercials, like the ones with the Allstate "mayhem" guy or the ones where frat boys summon an insurance agent by chanting "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there." It's insurance! The commercials are SUPPOSED to be boring!

I like the "Mayhem" ads but until just now I could not remember which brand they were for. Again, one of the strong points of the GEICO ads--you never forget who the cavemen work for.

The "State Farm" ads, I agree, are really stupid.
   107. Tom Nawrocki Posted: October 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM (#4276478)
More than the Energizer Bunny?

At least the Energizer Bunny isn't all over the radio too, like the gecko is. There's no escape.
   108. Benji Gil Gamesh Rises Posted: October 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM (#4276483)
Another vote for the Gecko. They're understated and sometimes clever, the character is pleasantly self-deprecating, the gecko/GEICO thing ties in great, and the accent makes it all work.

I loathe the Cavemen ads. The first one was (very very) mildly amusing, I'm amazed they made it anything more than a one-off.
   109. hokieneer Posted: October 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM (#4276486)
Clone high

Oh man, that was a great show. How the hell did it get cancelled in the middle of it's first season? Stupid MTV.

I was wondering if anyone would remember that. There are episodes broken up on youtube you can watch. I have been saying for several years I need to buy the DVD collection of the only season, but for some reason I always put it off.
   110. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM (#4276492)
I loathe the Cavemen ads. The first one was (very very) mildly amusing, I'm amazed they made it anything more than a one-off.

Heck, they spun them off into a TV series.
   111. Greg Pope thinks the Cubs are reeking havoc Posted: October 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM (#4276524)
The DirecTV ad with the shower doesn't even make any sense. She walked out of the shower with the husband in the room. So he does get to see her walk around naked. His comment makes no sense.
   112. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM (#4276533)
(Also, I'm bewildered by the "Does this plant have a small carbon footprint?" line in the Gallagher ad. It's a vegetable! It is specifically designed to remove CO_2 from the air and turn it into oxygen. If it doesn't have a negative carbon footprint, somebody is doing something wrong.)

Well, the carbon footprint could be taking into account EVERYTHING that goes into the plant. Fertilizer, harvest methods, transportation to place of sale, etc.
   113. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: October 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM (#4276541)
(Also, I'm bewildered by the "Does this plant have a small carbon footprint?" line in the Gallagher ad. It's a vegetable! It is specifically designed to remove CO_2 from the air and turn it into oxygen. If it doesn't have a negative carbon footprint, somebody is doing something wrong.)

Well, the carbon footprint could be taking into account EVERYTHING that goes into the plant. Fertilizer, harvest methods, transportation to place of sale, etc.

The commercial features Gallagher for cryin' out loud. I don't think they are looking for deep thinking to be involved.
   114. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM (#4276543)

I was wondering if anyone would remember that. There are episodes broken up on youtube you can watch. I have been saying for several years I need to buy the DVD collection of the only season, but for some reason I always put it off.

Do you mind? Some of us are nailing Catherine the Great here...or should I say Catherine the so-so.
   115. Darren Posted: October 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM (#4276565)
Flo
   116. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: October 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM (#4276570)
The commercial features Gallagher for cryin' out loud. I don't think they are looking for deep thinking to be involved.

Assuming this is an actual farmer's market and they were trying to think of things that people might be talking about in the background, the carbon footprint of the food would be a likely candidate.
   117. phredbird Posted: October 19, 2012 at 03:05 PM (#4276734)
all that said, i still have no desire to buy geico insurance. i really wonder about the overall effectiveness of the hip, smart campaigns.

As it happens I used to work in market research, essentially testing commercials before air to see which ones were more effective than others. Many, many, many times we found that the hip, smart, funny commercials were less memorable than others because people were concentrating on the hip/funny/smart. As is nearly always the case, simpler is better.

oh, i mostly agree. back in the day, i worked briefly for a guy who directed tv commercials; he had a lot of disdain for the hot commercial director back then, the one who did the fast talking guy for fedex -- niedermayer? -- and all the other whacky commercials. he said they were good for stroking the egos of the directors and agencies, but they were no more effective than the straight sells.
   118. Group Captain Mandrake Posted: October 19, 2012 at 03:13 PM (#4276738)
She walked out of the shower with the husband in the room. So he does get to see her walk around naked. His comment makes no sense.

She already had the towel on when she walked out.
   119. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 19, 2012 at 03:25 PM (#4276749)
Probably my all-time favorite straight-sell commercial tag:

"Melitta: we do one thing, and we do it perfectly. Coffee, coffee filters, and coffee makers."
   120. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: October 19, 2012 at 03:36 PM (#4276761)
That reminds me of one of my all-time favorite lines in wrestling, which Jerry Lawler was forced to say: "Tonight's commercial-free episode of 'Monday Night Raw' is brought to you by Kentucky Grilled Chicken."
   121. Greg Pope thinks the Cubs are reeking havoc Posted: October 19, 2012 at 03:47 PM (#4276775)
She already had the towel on when she walked out.

Yes, but then why is she complaining about the DirecTV banner? Same thing.
   122. Monty Posted: October 19, 2012 at 03:57 PM (#4276784)
Last night was a callback to "The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis".

And about twenty other episodes. It was weird, but it made me laugh a lot.
   123. Tom Nawrocki Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:16 PM (#4278025)
Then there's the school talent show in an auditorium that's packed, except for the front row center seat that one entitled family is using for its electronics.

But the kid is playing "Axel F" on the tuba, which is pretty cool.
   124. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:24 PM (#4278030)
You mean guys don't want to buy glo-coat?
   125. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 02:31 PM (#4278065)
I like most of the Mayhem ads. I'm over the Gecko. Flo can go flush herself. And I feel pain for JK Simmons every time I see those State Farm U ads.

Virtually all the ads I see these days, except when I'm watching sports on an actual television, come from Hulu. I really wonder what sort of rates get paid for that as compared to regular TV, and I really wonder why TV ads cost so much more than internet ads when my attention to both are pretty minimal. I'd love to see the numbers on that stuff, because I really doubt that TV ads move much product that wouldn't already be sold, so what it amounts to is the various companies fighting over a fixed market share and basically wasting each other's profits due to the prisoner's dilemma.
   126. Monty Posted: October 21, 2012 at 02:41 PM (#4278072)
I may have watched too much Oz, because I think it's weird that Ryan O'Reily and Vern Schillinger are both working for insurance companies.
   127. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: October 21, 2012 at 02:41 PM (#4278074)
And I feel pain for JK Simmons every time I see those State Farm U ads.

I'm pretty sure these are for Farmer's, but the confusion speaks poorly to the efficacy of the commercials.
   128. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 21, 2012 at 02:45 PM (#4278076)
Apparently the Cable Conflict Box is further emasculating the Hapless Husband Who Never Sees His Wife Walk Around Naked by seizing his pants. A man without pants is . . . what . . . Smitty?
   129. Voros McCracken of Pinkus Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:56 PM (#4278133)

He's been a great character actor for a while now and a scene stealer extraordinaire, but the one thing those ads do for him that he rarely gets otherwise is it gives him a starring role.
   130. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 04:52 PM (#4278165)

Those ads are funny in that most commercials feature (a) unknown actors playing a part, (b) famous actors playing themselves, or (c) famous actors doing voiceovers. It's rare to see someone as recognizable as Simmons appears in a commercial playing a role like that.
   131. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 05:31 PM (#4278180)
It's rare to see someone as recognizable as Simmons appears in a commercial playing a role like that.
Although insurance company ads seem to specialize in having "that guy" do the ads. In addition to Simmons, there's Dean Winters in the "Mayhem" ads and Dennis Haysbert doing Allstate.
   132. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 06:17 PM (#4278204)
Yeah, but I think Haysbert is playing himself as "celebrity spokesman". He's not playing a character.

I didn't realize Winters was that famous but looking at his IMDB page I guess I just haven't seen much of his work.
   133. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 08:22 PM (#4278373)
The best ads are the Mayhem ads and the Direct TV ones. Still like the one with the guy with the eyepatch best.

The worst ads are every other one. GEICO is all played out, and Flo needs to go.
   134. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 08:36 PM (#4278421)
I think the worst ads are for the Trojan Twister.
   135. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 09:46 PM (#4278519)
Yeah, Farmers/State Farm. Same difference. They both have Farm in the name, it's their own fault.
   136. Steve Treder Posted: October 21, 2012 at 09:57 PM (#4278536)
The Vogeyman Can.
   137. DFA Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM (#4278647)
I loathe the Budweiser commercials, primarily because nobody I've ever met has wanted to order a budweiser from anywhere.

I like the VW commercial with the Rush song and the guy air drumming. Nonetheless, I will not buy a VW.
   138. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM (#4278660)
I have a buddy that pounds budweisers. The funny thing is that at least in DC it is kind of hard to actually find budweiser in bars.
   139. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 08:19 AM (#4278739)
I have a buddy that pounds budweisers. The funny thing is that at least in DC it is kind of hard to actually find budweiser in bars.

Really? Are you sure this just isn't your inner hipster coming out? Is there a light lager on tap? And is it Pabst?
   140. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 08:27 AM (#4278743)
I like the VW commercial with the Rush song and the guy air drumming. Nonetheless, I will not buy a VW
Weirdly, I know exactly where that ad was filmed. It's near the Citibank tower in Queens, where I occasionally go for work.
   141. McCoy Posted: October 22, 2012 at 09:04 AM (#4278759)
Really? Are you sure this just isn't your inner hipster coming out? Is there a light lager on tap? And is it Pabst?

You can find Bud Light in bars but a lot of bars don't bother carrying Budweiser. For functions I probably sell 6 to 7 times more Bud Light than Bud and often more than that.

Pabst is so 5 years ago for hipsters.
   142. John DiFool2 Posted: October 22, 2012 at 09:17 AM (#4278769)
all that said, i still have no desire to buy geico insurance. i really wonder about the overall effectiveness of the hip, smart campaigns.

You keep on using those words. I don't think they mean what you think they mean.

As a GEICO customer, I would say the commercials worked on me.

What a coincidence-they worked on me, too-#### commercials ensuring that I will never buy their #### insurance.

1. The gecko is now officially the most played-out character in advertising history. Every time I see it in a commercial, I want to go put on my work boots and step on it.

You are a far more compassionate man than I. Stepping is too good for that ####### bastard lizard.

Their ads are invariably and unrelentingly cloying, pretentious, annoying, irritating, unfunny, and pathetic. They are the ad equivalent of that guy in middle school who thought he was possessed of supreme cutting wit when he would endlessly (and incompetently) quote the same few Beavis and Butthead and Monty Python bits, over and over.
   143. McCoy Posted: October 22, 2012 at 09:25 AM (#4278776)
I believe I have Geico simply because it was the cheapest rates my agent could find me or did have Geico at one point but when I moved to another state they were rather expensive. I forget which. Either way I have absolutely no brand loyalty when it comes to insurance and only really care about really low premiums.

Commercials for insurance co. and such exist simply so people know it is out there and is an option.
   144. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 09:54 AM (#4278788)
Yes, but then why is she complaining about the DirecTV banner?

She's still uncomfortable with her body after the radical mastectomy last year, and doesn't like the thought of anybody seeing her deformity and judging her to be less of a woman compared to the stars on TV, even if it's only an unthinking machine. The operation is also interfering with her sex life with the husband, which is why he's so frustrated. Deep down, she doesn't really believe it when he tells her she's still beautiful, and he doesn't know what he needs to do to convince her. He cries in the shower because he feels obligated to "be strong" and he never learned how to properly express his emotions.

Two years ago, they were starting to think about having kids, but that all went on the side when she was first diagnosed, and the upstairs bedroom with the little bears and balloons on the wallpaper is an unspoken wound in the fabric of their day-to-day lives.
   145. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM (#4278813)
Vlad, a career awaits you at the Lifetime Network.
   146. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM (#4278900)
You can find Bud Light in bars but a lot of bars don't bother carrying Budweiser. For functions I probably sell 6 to 7 times more Bud Light than Bud and often more than that.

Pabst is so 5 years ago for hipsters

Ah, true, I was thinking of Bud Light when my 'no way in hell it's hard to find Bud in a bar...' thought went through my brain.

I guess it was 5 years ago. I drank it in college and then stopped when everyone else started getting into it.
   147. The Good Face Posted: October 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM (#4278918)

Same. He's very smart, extremely successful, lives in Manhattan and is well-educated. He just likes Budweiser for some reason.
   148. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM (#4278921)
Two years ago, they were starting to think about having kids, but that all went on the side when she was first diagnosed, and the upstairs bedroom with the little bears and balloons on the wallpaper is an unspoken wound in the fabric of their day-to-day lives.
This bit doesn't work, because there's the second ad where the husband is trying to speak to his kid about the "DVR at 100% Capacity" message. Turns out he might be even worse as a father than as a husband.
   149. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM (#4278959)
This bit doesn't work, because there's the second ad where the husband is trying to speak to his kid about the "DVR at 100% Capacity" message.

It's a mental fugue state, where he's imagining what his life would be like if his wife hadn't experienced a spontaneous abortion as a result of the chemo?

Dunno. I've never seen that one.
   150. Bourbon Samurai Posted: October 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM (#4278980)
The worst commercial is the Viagra one with the guy running down dark trails and driving his car to distant towns in the middle of the night. It looks like a commercial for a drug to help you be a creepy rapist.

The geico mandolin player is one of my best friends. It is very odd to see him constantly on tv.
   151. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 03:47 PM (#4279177)

Coors is like that too. It seems like no one drinks the non light version.
   152. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 03:49 PM (#4279179)
this may be off topic, but those commercials for CTU (I think it's Colorado Technical Institute) make me want to go postal. They have these punks continually saying "I don't WANT a JOB like EVERYONE ELSE". I'm not interested in a SCHOOL where I have to LISTEN to an instructor". I want to take the self-absorbed little SOBs and feed them to the geico lizard.
   153. if nature called, ladodger34 would listen Posted: October 22, 2012 at 03:59 PM (#4279190)
I loathe the Budweiser commercials, primarily because nobody I've ever met has wanted to order a budweiser from anywhere.

Though it rarely happens, there have been times when I have ordered Bud at some awful bar because it was the best option. The other options were of course something like Bud Light and Coors Light.
   154. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 22, 2012 at 04:34 PM (#4279229)

Isn't Budweiser the best selling beer? I detect some elitism here at BBTF. Shocking.
   155. hokieneer Posted: October 22, 2012 at 04:45 PM (#4279242)
Though it rarely happens, there have been times when I have ordered Bud at some awful bar because it was the best option. The other options were of course something like Bud Light and Coors Light.

Yep I've been to a few places like that.

Budweiser is my beer of choice when I'm mowing grass, cutting brush, or doing any outdoors general property maintenance. It's cheap, light but not too light, has a tolerable taste, and perfect for having a few while working outdoors without getting too buzzed.
   156. McCoy Posted: October 22, 2012 at 05:09 PM (#4279259)
For ubiquitous beers I go Yuengling, MGD, Stella, and after that I'm in trouble if they don't have any of those options.
   157. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 22, 2012 at 05:09 PM (#4279261)

This bit doesn't work, because there's the second ad where the husband is trying to speak to his kid about the "DVR at 100% Capacity" message.

There is also a 3rd commercial, referenced in #128, in which the Hapless Husband is further emasculated by the Cable Conflict Box seizing his pants. Two kids make an appearance in that ad, which I've only seen on a football telecast.
   158. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 06:41 PM (#4279353)
Budweiser is my beer of choice when I'm mowing grass, cutting brush, or doing any outdoors general property maintenance. It's cheap, light but not too light, has a tolerable taste, and perfect for having a few while working outdoors without getting too buzzed.

For those situations, I go with Miller High Life, "The Champagne of Beers".

Isn't Budweiser the best selling beer? I detect some elitism here at BBTF. Shocking.

I don't hate it because it's terrible, mass-produced swill. I hate it because Adolphus Busch stole the entire schtick, lock stock and barrel, from a much better brewery (i.e. Budweiser Bier Bürgerbräu) and then went to court to block that brewery from using their (stolen) name for marketing in the US. That's almost "cartoon supervillain" level of evil.

I mean, the name "Budweiser"? BBB has used it since 1795 because their beer was brewed in the city of Budweis in the kingdom of Bohemia (currently known as ?eské Bud?jovice, and now part of the Czech Republic). The "King of Beers"? That's because BBB was, at one time, the official beer supplier to the court of the King of Württemberg. And so on...
   159. McCoy Posted: October 22, 2012 at 07:07 PM (#4279373)
So in 100 years some American company won't be able to call their pizza Chicago Style in China because some Chinese guy will have trademarked it in China.
   160. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 07:29 PM (#4279388)
Which reminds me the Budweiser frogs have to be added to the list of most played-out advertising mascots.
   161. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 22, 2012 at 08:48 PM (#4279535)

Bud *Light* is the best selling beer in the U.S.. It has almost 20% market share and sells more than twice as much as the #2 beer (Coors Light, which unseated Budweiser for #2 last year).

I'm not a beer snob, but those numbers were absolutely shocking to me the first time I saw them.
   162. DFA Posted: October 22, 2012 at 08:54 PM (#4279552)

Budweiser is terrible beer IMO. And nobody I know drinks it thusly I cannot imagine going to a bar with 3 friends and everyone ordering the same crappy beer. Most of my friends drink Rainier (local to the NW), PBR (the hipster wannabees) or some random microbrew that I've never heard of...but really I'm just a whiskey man now.
   163. hokieneer Posted: October 22, 2012 at 08:56 PM (#4279568)

I've never had any beer by the Miller Brewing Company that I would purposely drink again. I just can't stomach MGD, Miller Lite, etc. Yet I can down a few 16oz Budweisers while playing a doubleheader. Go figure.
   164. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM (#4280436)
I've never had any beer by the Miller Brewing Company that I would purposely drink again. I just can't stomach MGD, Miller Lite, etc.

I don't much care for any of their other beers, but High Life is OK, as mass-market beers go.
   165. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM (#4280460)

Don't you mean the "Sham Beer of Bottled Pain"?
   166. Lassus Posted: October 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM (#4280571)
Sometimes I go for motor oil, which at least doesn't have to be refrigerated.
   167. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: October 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM (#4280585)

Bud and Bud Light are made using a relatively high rice content. High Life is the best of the <$1/bottle beers.
   168. Chicago Joe Posted: October 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM (#4280587)

That's his girlfriend.
   169. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM (#4280625)
Sometimes I go for motor oil, which at least doesn't have to be refrigerated.

Lassus, I read that with my Tom Waits voice, adding a little chuckle on the end.
   170. ellsbury my heart at wounded knee Posted: October 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM (#4280628)
I'm not a beer snob, but those numbers were absolutely shocking to me the first time I saw them.

That list is insane. I expected Bud Light would be #1, but their total dominance is surprising, and I had forgotten Keystone Light even existed.
   171. McCoy Posted: October 23, 2012 at 01:06 PM (#4280634)
That list is insane. I expected Bud Light would be #1, but their total dominance is surprising, and I had forgotten Keystone Light even existed.

It's the vanilla ice cream effect. Great national distribution, it's everywhere and it's cheap.

The beer company that the big boys have to look out for is Yuengling. If they ever decide to seek outside investors and expand aggressively they'll take a huge cut of the market share away from the Bud/Miller companies. They'll be this generations Coors if they ever do that. So far they have seemed to be pretty content with staying a family business that expands slowly and safely.
   172. hokieneer Posted: October 23, 2012 at 02:25 PM (#4280706)
The beer company that the big boys have to look out for is Yuengling. If they ever decide to seek outside investors and expand aggressively they'll take a huge cut of the market share away from the Bud/Miller companies. They'll be this generations Coors if they ever do that. So far they have seemed to be pretty content with staying a family business that expands slowly and safely.

That's a good point. Yuengling is much better than the Bud/Miller/Coors light, and I think the retail price is comparable if not equal.

When I was in my early 20s, despite being with a few 100 miles of the brewery, it was hard to find Yuengling at a convenient or grocery store in central WV (bars and liquor stores carried it though). Now it's in every mom and pop shop, right next to the national brands.

173. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 23, 2012 at 02:40 PM (#4280727)
If you are ever in PA coal country, definitely do the Yuengling tour.
   174. MM1f Posted: October 23, 2012 at 03:02 PM (#4280744)

Yuengling already IS this generation's Coors in the sense that its a regional hit that people outside the region clamor for. However, this generation has a wealth of craft beer at their fingertips, so the appeal of Yuengling isn't that "It is a great beer, but you can only get it in one part of the country," like Coors, but rather "It's the same price as Bud/Miller/Coors and it actually tastes alright."

Yuengling will be expanding westwardly soon. They came close to buying an old Coors plant in Memphis a year or two ago, but backed out because they weren't completely sold on the details. They'll buy or build a new plant somewhere on the western edge of their distribution footprint soon here but, as you said, they are all about slow and safe, they'll probably wait til they find a deal that is too good to pass up.
   175. Nasty Nate Posted: October 23, 2012 at 03:07 PM (#4280750)
Yuengling will be expanding westwardly soon. They came close to buying an old Coors plant in Memphis a year or two ago, but backed out because they weren't completely sold on the details. They'll buy or build a new plant somewhere on the western edge of their distribution footprint soon here but, as you said, they are all about slow and safe, they'll probably wait til they find a deal that is too good to pass up.

Do you think they will go west before they go north to New England?
   176. The Good Face Posted: October 23, 2012 at 03:14 PM (#4280759)
Yuengling already IS this generation's Coors in the sense that its a regional hit that people outside the region clamor for. However, this generation has a wealth of craft beer at their fingertips, so the appeal of Yuengling isn't that "It is a great beer, but you can only get it in one part of the country," like Coors, but rather "It's the same price as Bud/Miller/Coors and it actually tastes alright."

Pretty much, although I don't really think it's significantly better than Bud/Miller/Coors. Given a choice of those four, I guess I'd pick Yuengling, but without much enthusiasm. It'd have to be a VERY limited bar/booze shop that didn't have better options given the wealth of craft and local brews out there nowadays.
   177. MM1f Posted: October 23, 2012 at 03:49 PM (#4280794)
Do you think they will go west before they go north to New England?

I think so. I'm not all that knowledgable about the New England beer market, but it seems like there is more competition there with Narragansett, Sam Adams and a few others already being budget mainstay type beers. Plus, Yuengling has already by-passed New England in favor of expanding southernly and westwardly over the last decade. I would assume Texas, America's most beer selling-est state, might be the next target, though of course Shiner already occupies a large, Yuengling-like role there.

Kentucky and Indiana would be easy, but less rewarding, states to expand into. Moving into Texas would probably require a new plant in the area, like that failed Memphis idea, but Kentucky and Indiana might be able to be served by an increase in production in Pottsville.
   178. villageidiom Posted: October 23, 2012 at 03:58 PM (#4280811)
The plot of Smokey And The Bandit has not aged well.
   179. tshipman Posted: October 23, 2012 at 04:12 PM (#4280846)
Pretty much, although I don't really think it's significantly better than Bud/Miller/Coors. Given a choice of those four, I guess I'd pick Yuengling, but without much enthusiasm. It'd have to be a VERY limited bar/booze shop that didn't have better options given the wealth of craft and local brews out there nowadays.

Man, imo Yuengling is a huge step above Bud/Miller/Coors. Although, for me, if I have a gun to my head, I go MGD, then Budweiser, then pull the trigger, then Coors. Coors is just terrible beer.
   180. ASmitty Posted: October 23, 2012 at 04:54 PM (#4280924)
The beer company that the big boys have to look out for is Yuengling. If they ever decide to seek outside investors and expand aggressively they'll take a huge cut of the market share away from the Bud/Miller companies.

When I was starting college at Clemson, Yuengling wasn't distributing to South Carolina. They entered the market when I was junior, and took over virtually overnight. It was almost certainly the second highest selling beer at bars behind Bud Light after about a month. It wouldn't surprise me if it did the same thing in other markets.

As noted above, it's non-awful and has a price point as good or better than the macro-brews. You could, and can, get Yuengling for about the same price as the Natty lights of the world in and around Clemson.
   181. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: October 23, 2012 at 05:20 PM (#4280965)
Back when Coors was regional was it ACTUALLY better than Bud and Schlitz, or was that just a mass delusion / marketing campaign?
   182. Tippecanoe Posted: October 23, 2012 at 06:15 PM (#4281024)
My impression is that Coors in 1970 was of no better quality than its competitors, but it was more "modern". From the repeal of prohibition forward, American beer gradually tranformed to a paler, lighter, colder drink. People drank less in taverns and more on the go, outdoors when they wanted something to quench thirst and drink fast. When it was fad beer, Coors (already with dominant market share in all of the mountain states) was comparatively even lighter but also less hoppy, making it very chuggable. With some sharp marketing, it took the country by storm.
   183. MM1f Posted: October 23, 2012 at 07:13 PM (#4281074)
My impression is that Coors in 1970 was of no better quality than its competitors, but it was more "modern". From the repeal of prohibition forward, American beer gradually tranformed to a paler, lighter, colder drink. People drank less in taverns and more on the go, outdoors when they wanted something to quench thirst and drink fast. When it was fad beer, Coors (already with dominant market share in all of the mountain states) was comparatively even lighter but also less hoppy, making it very chuggable. With some sharp marketing, it took the country by storm.

I've always thought of Coors Banquet/Coors Heavy as a somewhat richer, maltier, vaguely Helles-like (I mean, as far as macro lager goes) macro lager and, thus, a bit more interesting than Bud Heavy.

Coors Light, on the other hand, does seem like the lightest of the Big 3 light beers. It is the coldest tasting after all!

I'm a big craft beer geek, but I'm not above drinking some light beer. When it comes to light beers though, I don't understand why people buy anything other than the cheapest option. They're all the damn same. Busch Light and Bud Light are virtually indistinguishable, and anyone drinking either isn't trying to notice anything about the taste of the beer anyway, so it tickles me silly when bros insist on buying a keg of Bud Light instead of Busch Light, when Busch Light is half the price. I also love the rednecks who think its crazy to drink their crappy light beer from a can, and tell me that it is "so much better" from the bottle.

I've recently become quite fond of Genny Light for tailgates. 30 beers for 12.99.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JE (Jason)
for his generous support.