Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Bryce Harper Gets Free Chipotle Burritos for Life, World Domination to Follow

Bryce Harper gets free Chipotle burritos for life.

I will let that fact marinate with you for a second as you consider how horrible your own life is now by comparison.

Coot Veal and Cot Deal taste like Old Bay Posted: March 21, 2013 at 08:42 AM | 327 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nationals

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4
   301. The Good Face Posted: March 25, 2013 at 02:01 PM (#4395903)
You left out the part where they stole Rolling Rock from Latrobe. Just because something is legal doesn't mean that it's right, in a moral or ethical sense. I would not have thought that was a particularly difficult distinction to grasp.

But they didn't steal anything. They bought something, and then moved the thing that they bought someplace else.

Why should I give a flaming #### about whether or not it's "respectable"? That doesn't do Latrobe any good, does it?

Because Rolling Rock is a terrible beer that only regional yokels and college students have any use for? Anyway, aside from the lost jobs, most of which were replaced by another brewer, what good was Rolling Rock doing for Latrobe when it was brewed there? To the extent the beer served as marketing for the town to out-of-towners, that hasn't changed. The beer is still commercially available, and tastes the same. The only thing that's really changed is how Latrobians FEEL about Rolling Rock. Meh.
   302. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: March 25, 2013 at 02:11 PM (#4395909)
I'm only me and I have no dog in this hunt but I think his point is that Rolling Rock is a product which derives its value from its association with Latrobe and its history there. By purchasing the brand and moving it the new owners continue to try and cash in on its kitsch value (which is derived solely from the community of Latrobe) without giving Latrobe the reciprocal benefit of manufacturing it there. This is highlighted by how the association with Latrobe continues to be part of its marketing scheme.
   303. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 02:18 PM (#4395918)
No. I'm not your definition of the word "fan". Fortunately the world isn't ruled by you and your whims.

"Fan" is short for "fanatic", as in an observer of the team who has an unwavering and obsessive devotion to his chosen team. So going back to the origins of the term, you aren't a fan of the Cubs.

An active citizenry and government could have been making arrangements with Budweiser to ensure Rolling Rock was made in Latrobe...

No, they couldn't, because Anheuser-Busch had no interest whatsoever in keeping the brand in town. They bought Rolling Rock with the express intention of moving it, and they weren't willing to listen to alternative proposals.

I'd say trying to make cheap beer at cheap prices is honoring the tradition of a cheap beer.

Yes, because you're an emotionless robot for whom the only consideration is the end product the company is producing, rather than the relationship between the company and its community and workers.

And why should I or Budweiser give a flaming #### about what does Latrobe any good?

Most people have a certain amount of empathy for other humans. You may be an exception, of course.

Except they didn't steal it. They bought it fair and square.

Once again, you're confusing legal issues and moral ones.
   304. The Good Face Posted: March 25, 2013 at 02:22 PM (#4395921)
By purchasing the brand and moving it the new owners continue to try and cash in on its kitsch value (which is derived solely from the community of Latrobe) without giving Latrobe the reciprocal benefit of manufacturing it there.

Sure, but the benefits of manufacturing in Latrobe were publicity/marketing for the town, which is still intact, jobs at the brewery, which have largely been replaced, and the feelings Latrobians have about Rolling Rock. I just don't think the last point is particularly compelling when forced to stand alone.
   305. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 02:27 PM (#4395925)
Anyway, aside from the lost jobs, most of which were replaced by another brewer, what good was Rolling Rock doing for Latrobe when it was brewed there?

It contributed to their civic identity.

The only thing that's really changed is how Latrobians FEEL about Rolling Rock.

And how people from Latrobe feel about themselves. A matter of no small import to people from Latrobe.

I'm only me and I have no dog in this hunt but I think his point is that Rolling Rock is a product which derives its value from its association with Latrobe and its history there. By purchasing the brand and moving it the new owners continue to try and cash in on its kitsch value (which is derived solely from the community of Latrobe) without giving Latrobe the reciprocal benefit of manufacturing it there. This is highlighted by how the association with Latrobe continues to be part of its marketing scheme.

Yes, exactly. If after they'd relocated, they'd shifted to brown bottles and changed the label to read, "Rolling Rock: An inexpensive macrobrew culled from Newark's noxious effluent. Established in 2006!" it still would've sucked that they stabbed Latrobe's economy in the kidney, but at least it wouldn't have been adding insult to injury. As it is, it's like the Nats pretending to give a #### about the history of the Expos. Just rubbing salt in the wound.
   306. McCoy Posted: March 25, 2013 at 02:29 PM (#4395929)
(which is derived solely from the community of Latrobe)

The value of the beer is in its cheapness, possibly the 33 and painted on labels. Nobody outside of Latrobe gives a flying fig that it was brewed in Latrobe or most people if they did know it was brewed in Latrobe don't know that it isn't anymore. So Latrobe has the jobs and still retains the value of people thinking cheap crappy beer is brewed in their city.
   307. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: March 25, 2013 at 02:32 PM (#4395934)
Well, based on my observations of other humans, I would presume the residents of Latrobe would prefer not to have the publicity of being associated with that product.
   308. McCoy Posted: March 25, 2013 at 02:36 PM (#4395939)
"Fan" is short for "fanatic", as in an observer of the team who has an unwavering and obsessive devotion to his chosen team. So going back to the origins of the term, you aren't a fan of the Cubs.

Thank you for the history but again your definitions do not rule the world and is there a point somewhere in all of this?

No, they couldn't, because Anheuser-Busch had no interest whatsoever in keeping the brand in town. They bought Rolling Rock with the express intention of moving it, and they weren't willing to listen to alternative proposals.

Yeah, I'll buy that one for a dollar.

Yes, because you're an emotionless robot for whom the only consideration is the end product the company is producing, rather than the relationship between the company and its community and workers.

No. I'm a human being who doesn't give a fig that some people out of 9,000 people can't look out their window with pride at a bottling plant anymore because the cheap crappy beer is now made elsewhere.

Most people have a certain amount of empathy for other humans. You may be an exception, of course.

When the people are so apathetic to their own plight that they don't do anything about it why should I care if they are mildly annoyed?

Once again, you're confusing legal issues and moral ones.

I am? Didn't I just say that they did nothing morally or legally wrong?

It contributed to their civic identity.

Making crappy beer since 1893! The thing is Rolling Rock still contributes to their civic identity. Latrobe still appears on the bottles of Rolling Rock.
   309. McCoy Posted: March 25, 2013 at 02:52 PM (#4395965)
Yes, exactly. If after they'd relocated, they'd shifted to brown bottles and changed the label to read, "Rolling Rock: An inexpensive macrobrew culled from Newark's noxious effluent. Established in 2006!" it still would've sucked that they stabbed Latrobe's economy in the kidney, but at least it wouldn't have been adding insult to injury. As it is, it's like the Nats pretending to give a #### about the history of the Expos. Just rubbing salt in the wound.

By the way they did try to change to something different when they came out with Rolling Rock Red which outside of a green bottle looked completely different than regular Rolling Rock and the bottle mentioned nothing about "Old Latrobe".
   310. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 25, 2013 at 03:00 PM (#4395969)
I really love the original Calphalon with the straight, flat handles (not that horrid non-stick junk) from the 90's. Again, a great second hand buy - I'm a pretty serious amateur cook, and that stuff is just awesome.

Sorry to quote from 60 posts ago, but this is truer than true. I bought good Calphalon aluminum gear when I was still in college, back in 2002 or 2003, and even now that I can afford "good" pots, and even though I've bought a couple, I still go back to the Calphalon almost every time I cook. They're indestructable, distribute heat evently, can go into the oven, are seasoned to the point where nothing sticks to them unless I want it to, clean easy, etc.
   311. The Good Face Posted: March 25, 2013 at 03:03 PM (#4395973)
The only thing that's really changed is how Latrobians FEEL about Rolling Rock.

And how people from Latrobe feel about themselves. A matter of no small import to people from Latrobe.

If the relocation of a crappy brewery from one's town (that does not have material financial or marketing effects) is really a matter of no small import to how a given person feels about themselves, I'd suggest that person re-examine their priorities.
   312. McCoy Posted: March 25, 2013 at 03:04 PM (#4395975)
From an article in 2011 about Latrobe:
Rolling Rock signs and merchandise, which once covered the bar's walls, were also taken down and given away, Fred Palombo said. After about a year, he brought the beer back and still serves it - just not as much.

"There are definitely people who won't drink it because of what happened," he said.

Jim Benedict, warehouse manager at Rosa's Beer Distributor, said sales of Rolling Rock took a big hit at his Latrobe distributor after the announcement.

"Sales went down pretty good, pretty quickly," Benedict said. "Local people didn't want the business to move out, so they didn't buy it."

Latrobe 30 Beverage owner Jeff McIlmay said sales of the beer are good, but not great.

"It'll never do what it did before in terms of sales because of the loyalty people have to the brewery," McIlmay said. "It's made a bit of a comeback for us the past couple of years, but that's because they put a better price on it."

313. McCoy Posted: March 25, 2013 at 03:09 PM (#4395981)
Sorry to quote from 60 posts ago, but this is truer than true. I bought good Calphalon aluminum gear when I was still in college, back in 2002 or 2003, and even now that I can afford "good" pots, and even though I've bought a couple, I still go back to the Calphalon almost every time I cook. They're indestructable, distribute heat evently, can go into the oven, are seasoned to the point where nothing sticks to them unless I want it to, clean easy, etc.

My mom still has her original set of Farberware pots and pans that she got for her wedding 40 years ago. They still make the same style, though I'm sure the innards have changed, and the stuff can take a beating. As for Calphalon I've never like the hard-anodized look to their stuff.
   314. spike Posted: March 25, 2013 at 04:05 PM (#4396073)
You just have to think of it as "pre-scuffed". Short of copper, which is awesome but brutally expensive and a beeyotch to keep clean, good aluminum cookware is the best lightweight option in the kitchen. I love my enameled and plain cast iron, but they weigh a ton.
   315. BDC Posted: March 25, 2013 at 04:28 PM (#4396103)
plain cast iron

I have a small cast-iron pan which is beautifully seasoned, and has fried hundreds of eggs without sticking or being washed. But I also have a big one that just has never functioned despite seasoning – don't know why. Either it's temperamental or I'm an idiot, and I know the most likely of those two options :) Anyway, I'm tempted to put it in the recycling bin, for all the use I get out of it.
   316. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 25, 2013 at 04:30 PM (#4396104)
You just have to think of it as "pre-scuffed". Short of copper, which is awesome but brutally expensive and a beeyotch to keep clean, good aluminum cookware is the best lightweight option in the kitchen. I love my enameled and plain cast iron, but they weigh a ton.

Agreed - even in the midst of my decade long love affair with my aluminum cookware, I still keep one giant, 50 year-old, hand-me-down cast iron skillet when I need the heat capacity of a massive, heavy pan (for, e.g., steaks). That's something aluminum can't really do.
   317. McCoy Posted: March 25, 2013 at 04:55 PM (#4396141)
I have a small cast-iron pan which is beautifully seasoned, and has fried hundreds of eggs without sticking or being washed. But I also have a big one that just has never functioned despite seasoning – don't know why. Either it's temperamental or I'm an idiot, and I know the most likely of those two options :) Anyway, I'm tempted to put it in the recycling bin, for all the use I get out of it.

It might very well be your heat source. Most home burners are pretty small and don't pump out a lot of gas and those big cast iron pans require a lot of flame to get the whole whole pan hot. Those big cast iron pans aren't really practical for stove top cooking in your average home. If you've got a charcoal pit or a good grill it should work fine or you can use it for cooking inside the oven.
   318. spike Posted: March 25, 2013 at 05:24 PM (#4396190)
But I also have a big one that just has never functioned despite seasoning – don't know why.

Do you mean never functioned as in non stick quotient, or in terms of cooking food evenly?
   319. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 25, 2013 at 06:07 PM (#4396251)
So, the "moral" position is that is OK for a small corporation to hype a cheap regional beer as something special but wrong for a larger corporation to do the same thing? And it is morally superior to make beer in rural Pennsylvania than in an urban area of New Jersey? Because Latrobe called "dibs"?

OK, I think I've got it, but what about shutting down the buggy whip plant?
   320. McCoy Posted: March 25, 2013 at 06:15 PM (#4396263)
Careful guys. Flynn might just call you all internet tough guy contrarians.
   321. McCoy Posted: March 25, 2013 at 07:37 PM (#4396316)
Watching the latest Walking Dead episode and I'm just wondering how it is possible that zombies have a higher population density per square mile than the humans they replaced.
   322. zonk Posted: March 25, 2013 at 07:48 PM (#4396321)
Watching the latest Walking Dead episode and I'm just wondering how it is possible that zombies have a higher population density per square mile than the humans they replaced.

Herds! Migrating herds!
   323. McCoy Posted: March 25, 2013 at 07:53 PM (#4396323)
Did the Bering Straits freeze over again?
   324. zonk Posted: March 25, 2013 at 07:58 PM (#4396325)
Actually, I think that's what bothers me most at the moment... No one is wondering if any place else on earth is better? Iceland? Aruba? Guam? Some isolated island off the Carolina coast? No news? Nothing?
   325. McCoy Posted: March 25, 2013 at 08:06 PM (#4396332)
The thing that bothers me the most is that absolute horrible decisions the writers are forcing the characters to make. People are making some downright not a chance in hell stupid decisions just because it appears the writers are not very good at what they are doing. Someone needs to pull Kirkman and his ego aside so they can get a decent showrunner to do this show.

One other tidbit to notice is how all the people look healthy and well fed despite the fact that nobody has manufactured food in any way in a year or so nor is there in any running water.
   326. McCoy Posted: March 28, 2013 at 05:24 PM (#4398704)
There is no Nats thread so I'll put it here. A vendor dropped off 4 SRO tickets to tomorrow's Yankees vs Nats game at 2pm. If anybody wants one or two or three let me know.

327. steagles Posted: March 28, 2013 at 05:49 PM (#4398714)
The thing that bothers me the most is that absolute horrible decisions the writers are forcing the characters to make. People are making some downright not a chance in hell stupid decisions just because it appears the writers are not very good at what they are doing. Someone needs to pull Kirkman and his ego aside so they can get a decent showrunner to do this show.
i disagree with the overall sentiment. i thought the second season was horrendous, but this third season has been really interesting.

when it comes to sci-fi, what i care about most is whether the premise is interesting. i can let a lot of other stuff go if there's that light at the end of the tunnel that hints at the possibilities for a where a given show may go. revolution is terrible, but the premise is interesting, so i've stuck with it. flash forward was terrible, but again, the premise was interesting, so i stuck with it.

the walking dead did not pass that threshold last season, but i think it has hit its stride with this one.

anyway, getting back to the original discussion in this thread, i just picked up something called cowboy caviar at trader joes. it looks pretty decent.
Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.