Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

‘Bull Durham’ musical to debut in Atlanta in 2014

It took 20 years to bring the movie to the stage? You know what I call them? Lollygaggers.

Producers announced Wednesday that the new musical will have its world premiere at the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta in September 2014. The musical features a script by Ron Shelton, who directed and wrote the original movie, and songs by Susan Werner.

The original movie, which starred Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, follows a minor league veteran who is sent to Durham, N.C., to coach a rookie pitcher. The film is consistently ranked by various publications as one of the best sports movies of all time.

PHOTOS: Hollywood stars on stage

No cast has been announced for the musical, which will be directed by Kip Fagan, a veteran of New York’s Rattlestick Playwrights Theatre.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 11, 2013 at 06:29 PM | 29 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baseball in the arts, bull durham, musical

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Ray (RDP) Posted: December 11, 2013 at 06:52 PM (#4616285)
But the producers loudly announced that Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon were not welcome.
   2. AndrewJ Posted: December 11, 2013 at 07:13 PM (#4616295)
I dig Bull Durham and I dig Broadway, but this does not sound good.
   3. Benji Gil Gamesh Rises Posted: December 11, 2013 at 07:26 PM (#4616304)
I dig Bull Durham and I dig Broadway, but this does not sound good.
[musical Crash Davis]: Shut up.
   4. AndrewJ Posted: December 11, 2013 at 07:59 PM (#4616327)
Apart from Damn Yankees, the only baseball-related Broadway musical I can think of is The First, a 1981 musical about Jackie Robinson joining the Dodgers. It ran about a month.
   5. BDC Posted: December 11, 2013 at 08:07 PM (#4616331)
The First, a 1981 musical about Jackie Robinson

I remember one verse of one song from that show. Robinson sings:

"It's a beginning
God bless you, Larry Doby.
Help him hit lefties
Or they'll ship him to Nairobi."

6. AndrewJ Posted: December 11, 2013 at 08:51 PM (#4616347)
I understand that the veteran Broadway composer Harold Rome attempted a musical version of Bang the Drum Slowly in the 1960s; apparently the script would have been written by Ring Lardner, Jr. In the right circumstances, that might have worked.
   7. winnipegwhip Posted: December 11, 2013 at 08:52 PM (#4616349)
That bereft dumb and unkind kid
Sure needs more than a fastball.

How do think he does it?
Idon't know.
what makes him so good?
   8. Scott Ross Posted: December 11, 2013 at 09:08 PM (#4616355)
I'm going to have nightmares about the musical number on Crash's "I believe..." speech.
   9. AndrewJ Posted: December 11, 2013 at 09:14 PM (#4616359)
I got the horse right here/The name is Ben Revere...
   10. A New Leaf Posted: December 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM (#4616383)
New pitcher arrived just the other day
Got a lotta cliches I gotta teach him to say
He tries to strike out guys in a fascist way
Still walks too many, though, control is far away
But he'll make it before we know it, that much is true
He'll say "I'm gonna be like you, Crash
You know I'm gonna be like you"

The ####'s in the ##### and a woman's back
A hanging curve ball and a high fiber snack
"When you making The Show, Crash?"
I don't know when
But I know that Susan Sontag's crap, yeah
I know that Susan Sontag's crap
   11. OsunaSakata Posted: December 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM (#4616389)
If you guys weren't already aware, the Durham version of the racing sausages.
   12. Swoboda is freedom Posted: December 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM (#4616424)
I see a Baseball Annie dance line.
   13. winnipegwhip Posted: December 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM (#4616430)
The Yankees of the 1970s were having trouble
What a sad sad story.
They needed a new leader to
restore their former glory.
Where oh where was he?
Where could that man be?
Michael Burke looked around and then he found
The man for you and me.....

Springtime for Steinbrenner and the Yankees.
Winter for the Red Sox and the AL East.
We are setting a faster pace.
Look out we will win the pennant race.

14. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: December 12, 2013 at 01:43 AM (#4616449)
13 wins the tread, and possibly the site for the month, also I now have to clean my computer screen
   15. bobm Posted: December 12, 2013 at 01:48 AM (#4616453)
Baseball Musicals You've Never Heard Of:

Diamonds

An all-star team takes the field in ''Diamonds,'' the new musical revue about baseball at the Circle in the Square Downtown. The roster of songwriters reads like a hall of fame of the present-day musical theater; the sketches are by such literary sluggers as Roy Blount Jr. and John Lahr; the veteran director is Harold Prince, who, in an early season of his career, co-produced the all-time champ of baseball musicals, ''Damn Yankees.'' So go figure why ''Diamonds'' proves too often a minor league affair. Even by generous estimate, the revue connects in only 10 of its 35 segments. Check my arithmetic, but I think that makes for a lowly winning percentage of .286.

National Pastime

the baseball-themed, Broadway-hopeful musical "National Pastime" [...] The saccharine musical harkens back to traditional Broadway shows and serves up a sweet slice of Americana - think "Oklahoma!" meets "Damn Yankees" with a splash of "Guys and Dolls." The show, set in 1933, revolves around the WZBQ radio station staff in rural Baker City. Times are tough after the Great Depression, so the station owners hatch a scheme to broadcast fictional games played by the nonexistent Baker City Cougars to boost ratings and the town's morale.

Batter Up

Ever wonder just what made “Mighty Casey” strike out that memorable day in Muddville? Ever think you could find out while simultaneously being entertained by the citizens of Muddville? Based on Ernest Thayer's immortal poem, “Casey at the Bat”, Batter Up reveals the answer, and then shows what happened next

DC-7

In DC-7, a bilingual musical with English and Spanish book and lyrics, three of the most influential characters in Clemente's life meet at his funeral to share their memories. Matino (Clemente's brother), Vera (his widow) and Ramiro Martínez (a close friend and journalist), reminisce about their life with Clemente. Their stories transport the audience to Clemente's early years in Puerto Rico, his time with the Montreal Royals and his 18-year tenure with the Pirates. This musical also dramatically depicts the era of the Civil Rights Movement and how it affected his life as a Black Hispanic. Through all his trials and tribulations, Clemente triumphed becoming a legend on and off the field. This new musical is a dedication to a hero whose extraordinary life continues to inspire and touch lives.

Johnny Baseball

Originally called Red Sox Nation, Johnny Baseball was conceived after the Red Sox’s stunning collapse in the 2003 playoffs due to the "Curse", which is often cited as a reason for the failure of the Boston Red Sox baseball team to win the World Series in the 86-year period from 1918 until 2004.[3][4]

The Curse is traced to the interactions of three people: the fictional Johnny O'Brien, a hard-luck right-hander on the 1919 Red Sox; his idol, Babe Ruth; and O'Brien's love interest, Daisy Wyatt, an African American blues singer. The show is told through flashbacks between the fourth game of the 2004 American League Championship Series and the fictional life of Johnny O'Brien. The musical ends with David Ortiz ending the Curse in 2004.

Sousepaw

Famed pitcher Rube Waddell has one last shot to make a big comeback, so he hires the Reptile Girl from the circus to keep him company -- and sober. This heartbreaking play explores their long night of broken promises, secrets, and past regrets.

A League of Their Own: The Musical

With Bring It On a freshly minted Tony nominee for Best Musical and Rocky heading to Broadway early next year, it's clear that sports movies are a hot new mini-trend for the Great White Way. In 2016, we'll no doubt be hate-watching Hayden Panettiere in Air Bud: Songsational!, and the ghost of Richard Rodgers will shed another dusty tear. But even this trend could spawn a masterpiece. As at least one internet scholar has noted, A League of Their Own is just sitting there, waiting to be turned into a song-and-dance classic. In fact, we got so excited by the idea that we decided to help Broadway along. Here's a rough treatment for A League of Their Own: The Musical, including song titles and key notes on the plot. If you're excited to see those Singin' Rockford Peaches, then please expand on our ideas in the comments.
   16. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: December 12, 2013 at 02:02 AM (#4616459)
A League of Their Own: The Musical

I know the guys that wrote that! To be fair, it's just a list of proposed songs that cover the events of the movie.

* "All the Way" — After All the Way Mae scores a winning run, the ladies carry her off in celebration. Doris stays behind to sing this torch ballad about her unrequited love for her best friend.
   17. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: December 12, 2013 at 02:11 AM (#4616462)
I want so much for there to be a song in this project called "Lady Kenmores (Nasty, Whoa, Nasty)."
   18. AndrewJ Posted: December 12, 2013 at 07:05 AM (#4616479)
Surprised nobody's attempted a musical about the 1919 World Series.
   19. Rants Mulliniks Posted: December 12, 2013 at 08:36 AM (#4616491)
Crash Davis would just have to do spoken word-esque like Shatner, I think he's too macho to actually sing.
   20. BDC Posted: December 12, 2013 at 09:26 AM (#4616509)
Wow, that's quite a list, bobm. Thanks!

In Austin last summer I saw a letter from Bernard Malamud to his agent, complaining in all seriousness that the agent had missed a bet by not shopping The Natural to Broadway producers à la The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant (Damn Yankees). The agent was the smart one :)
   21. depletion Posted: December 12, 2013 at 09:50 AM (#4616522)
Way cool post, bobm! Are you a pro in theater work? I would pay to see a Rube Waddell dramatization. He's my favorite old time player.
   22. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM (#4616533)
Not baseball, but there was a musical recently about Larry Bird v. Magic Johnson that was supposed to be quite terrible.
   23. DL from MN Posted: December 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM (#4616590)
You don't need a quadraphonic Blaupunkt -- you need a curve ball.
   24. GregD Posted: December 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM (#4616596)
Not baseball, but there was a musical recently about Larry Bird v. Magic Johnson that was supposed to be quite terrible.
Was that really a musical? Amazing. I read vaguely about it but assumed it was just a terrible drama. But a terrible drama put to music!
   25. Jeltzandini Posted: December 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM (#4616611)
Nuke: What's wrong with me?
Crash: I think you're crazy.
Nuke: Want a second opinion.
Crash: You're also lazy!

Oh Crash Davis, Oh Crash Davis!
   26. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: December 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM (#4616616)
Famed pitcher Rube Waddell has one last shot to make a big comeback, so he hires the Reptile Girl from the circus to keep him company -- and sober. This heartbreaking play explores their long night of broken promises, secrets, and past regrets.

Good try to slip a fake one in the list, but you've been caught.
   27. Hack Wilson Posted: December 12, 2013 at 01:28 PM (#4616754)
A 1977 play Bleacher Bums would actually make a decent musical. (It is based on a bad dream by actor Joe Mantegna.) The show stopper would be an ancient Ernie Banks pinch hitting in the 15th inning of the 7th W.S. game and hitting a homer to beat the Sox. (It is in the play.)

Think I can get James Earl Jones to play Ernie?
   28. tfbg9 Posted: December 12, 2013 at 01:38 PM (#4616763)
Crash Davis would just have to do spoken word-esque like Shatner

...or Rex Harrison?
   29. OsunaSakata Posted: December 12, 2013 at 01:40 PM (#4616765)
Not a musical, but Take Me Out involved a fictional star coming out about his homosexuality. He seemed to be a mixed race player for the most popular team in New York City.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis on Acid
for his generous support.