Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Buzz Bissinger: My Gucci Addiction

In the past few years, I’ve bought eighty-one leather jackets. Dozens of boots and leather gloves. I’ve purchased pants that cost $5,000. I own a $22,000 coat. This winter I took a tour of Milan’s Fashion Week (all expenses paid by Gucci, in appreciation of my many, many purchases), where I spent tens of thousands more and began to seriously grapple, once and for all, with a compulsion that could cost me more than just my life savings. My name is Buzz Bissinger. I am 58 years old, the best-selling author of ‘Friday Night Lights,’ father of three, husband. And I am a shopaholic.

OsunaSakata Posted: March 26, 2013 at 04:30 PM | 290 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: media

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 
   101. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM (#4397594)
There are only two times a man should wear leather in public (what you do in private is your own business). He can wear leather if it is for a movie with a budget of at least 40 million dollars and he can wear leather if he wears it while driving a motorcycle but he better be near that damn bike at all times otherwise he looks like a doofus. Also it can only be black (and not shiny black) or brown (basic black or brown).

I think we also need a general exemption for people who need to wear leather clothing as a part of their jobs. That way, leather chaps are OK for cowboys, leather aprons are OK for butchers, leather pants and jackets are OK for welders, etc.
   102. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM (#4397595)
have never seen (& have no interest in ever seeing) such BTF cinematic touchstones as Animal House, Caddyshack, Princess Bride , Ferris Bueller's Day Off et al.,

I've seen 2 of the 4; I've not seen Animal House or Princess Bride (despite the appearance of one Peter Falk).

I tried watching Animal House a few years ago and shut it off about 30 minutes in. It held zero interest for me.

As to Princess Bride, it's simply not my kind of movie, even though I generally like comedies. I also don't see the period pieces or "epics" like Lincoln. Or anything that is set before 1960 or in a foreign land or with kings and dragons and sorcerers and emperors and witches.

When I found out that adults were watching Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, I broke my stride to ask why.
   103. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM (#4397596)
As long as we're talking about fashion, I am sort of intrigued by how much of an impact Macklemore's "Thrift Shop" will have on mainstream America's aesthetic choices.
   104. spike Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM (#4397597)
A grown man definitely shouldn't wear something like this unless he's a reenactor:

Sort of agree, but I have an Aero B-6 (the USAF version of the jacket you posted) that is just the greatest cold weather jacket of all time. I can ride at 70mph in 25 degree weather and not feel a thing.
   105. McCoy Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM (#4397598)
I think we also need a general exemption for people who need to wear leather clothing as a part of their jobs. That way, leather chaps are OK for cowboys, leather aprons are OK for butchers, leather pants and jackets are OK for welders, etc.

I think that goes without saying though if you're a butcher and you're walking down the street in a leather apron there is in fact something wrong you.
   106. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM (#4397599)
The Princess Bride is quite nice, I'll show it to my kids when they're older. Bueller didn't do much for me - John Hughes wish fufillment stuff rarely does. Caddyshack and Animal House are hit and miss, but worthwhile.
   107. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM (#4397600)
As long as we're talking about fashion, I am sort of intrigued by how much of an impact Macklemore's "Thrift Shop" will have on mainstream America's aesthetic choices.

What is this of which you speak?
   108. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM (#4397602)
Princess Bride might be one of those ones that you have to have seen as a kid to enjoy as an adult. I just base that on the fact that the two of three people I know who didn't see it as a kid did not enjoy it as an adult. And I've yet to meet anyone who loved it as a kid who does not still enjoy it now.

I was actually thinking earlier today that Animal House (which I have not seen) may work on a similar principle. Super Troopers, or possibly Old School probably work the same for me. I'm pretty sure they're not great movies, but I will always be endlessly entertained by them because of the context of when I first saw them.
   109. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM (#4397604)
By ride, do you mean you wear it while on a motorcycle? In that case it's ok.

edit: responding to #104
   110. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM (#4397607)
I've seen 2 of the 4; I've not seen Animal House or Princess Bride (despite the appearance of one Peter Falk).

I tried watching Animal House a few years ago and shut it off about 30 minutes in. It held zero interest for me.

The basic premise of Animal House seems to me to be "revoltingly stupid people do revoltingly stupid things." I'm not sure why that's supposed to be funny.

Then again, I love The Three Stooges.

But then again (nod toward 108), I encountered them as a child, of course.
   111. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM (#4397608)
107- I am speaking of the biggest song in America! Shame on you for not knowing youth culture!
   112. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM (#4397609)
Princess Bride might be one of those ones that you have to have seen as a kid to enjoy as an adult. I just base that on the fact that the two of three people I know who didn't see it as a kid did not enjoy it as an adult. And I've yet to meet anyone who loved it as a kid who does not still enjoy it now.

The Goonies is like this but much more so.
   113. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM (#4397610)
Triple post, for chrissakes.
   114. Steve Treder Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM (#4397611)
Princess Bride might be one of those ones that you have to have seen as a kid to enjoy as an adult. I just base that on the fact that the two of three people I know who didn't see it as a kid did not enjoy it as an adult.

Well, I could be wrong, but you might be encountering some sample size issues, there.

I never saw the movie until I was, I don't know, 35 or 40, and I loved it the first time I watched it, and have loved it every one of the many times since.
   115. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM (#4397612)
Aaaagh! Double post.
   116. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM (#4397614)
Gef, thanks for sharing. Three times :-)
   117. JJ1986 Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM (#4397615)
I don't really like Animal House or Ferris Bueller. Caddyshack has really good parts, but the actual plot about the caddies is dumb. The Princess Bride is good, but the best scenes are about 30 minutes in and the ending doesn't come near to being as great as the first swordfight and Vizzini's challenge (the film overall suffers from not making Wallace Shawn the biggest part).
   118. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM (#4397619)
"Buzz Bissinger" is one of those thousands of names that sort of float around in the space occupied by "Justin Lieber"

Now you're just being ridiculous.

I just googled that name, and I guess it would appear that way, but it was an honest mistake. According to google, I must have been thinking of "Justin Bieber", another name that's out there in the ether and must mean something to someone, sort of like "Fabian" meant something to some people about 50 or 55 years ago.
   119. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM (#4397623)
As to Princess Bride, it's simply not my kind of movie, even though I generally like comedies. I also don't see the period pieces or "epics" like Lincoln. Or anything that is set before 1960 or in a foreign land or with kings and dragons and sorcerers and emperors and witches.

Foreign settings don't bother me, but if you make them off-planet settings, I'm not likely to be interested, even though I'm quite the sf fan. Pre-'60 doesn't bother me at all (probably half of my favorite movies predate that decade), & neither do period pieces/epics.

Kings/dragons/sorcerers etc. ... yeah. Not my cup of tea, either.
   120. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM (#4397624)
Speaking of Thrift Shop (amazing that that's been viewed 200 million times), I recently noticed that the slogan for 94.7 in DC is "Today's biggest hits, without all the rap." Is it just me, or is that an odd message? I get where they're coming from, but it seems like they could have come up with a more creative way of saying that they're focusing more on alternative type top 40 like Mumford and sons.
   121. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM (#4397628)
The basic premise of Animal House seems to me to be "revoltingly stupid people do revoltingly stupid things." I'm not sure why that's supposed to be funny.

I take it you're not a fan of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
   122. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM (#4397629)
Gef, thanks for sharing. Three times :-)

Evidently, BTF & Google Chrome aren't getting along right now, at least on my machine.
   123. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM (#4397630)

It was sidesplittingly funny for me, because that was exactly what Duke was like circa 1962**, with the SAE House and the ultra-uptight student Judicial Board. And every other Duke alum I knew at the time that movie was released had the same reaction.

**Which is the year Animal House was set in, only it was supposed to be Dartmouth, not Duke. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
   124. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM (#4397631)
I take it you're not a fan of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

See my previous post about not having had cable in 8-odd years. The handful of shows I've watched on DVD since then have invariably been horror/sf.
   125. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM (#4397632)
I like the lengths Andy is going to try to prove he doesn't, in fact, have a shrine set up in his house to Justin Bieber. No one is fooled!

107- I am speaking of the biggest song in America! Shame on you for not knowing youth culture!

I'm old. ::Grump::
   126. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM (#4397634)
If I wanted to know anything about youth culture, I'd be a youth. Which I'm not.
   127. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM (#4397636)
I think that goes without saying though if you're a butcher and you're walking down the street in a leather apron there is in fact something wrong you.

Serial killers are people too, y'know.
   128. Yastrzemski in left. Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM (#4397637)
Buzz also just got done with his car-elevator naming ceremony. The Mitt-Lift.
   129. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM (#4397638)
See my previous post about not having had cable in 8-odd years. The handful of shows I've watched on DVD since then have invariably been horror/sf.

Annoyingly, I've never lived in a country where it was possible to see first run episodes of It's Always Sunny (my favourite TV show) on TV.

It is amazing the breadth of popular culture available these days. It's possible to be an avid fan of television and never have heard of any of the top shows on television at the moment. Or for that matter, it's possible to not know any of the shows a similarly avid fan in similar circumstances with different tastes watches.

Speaking of live TV and things set in the past, on Monday I decided to actually watch some TV for the first time in ages. A new sit-com set in Ancient Rome, called Plebs. It was a fun experiment, but I think I'm going to stick to DVDs.
   130. rr Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM (#4397639)
It was sidesplittingly funny for me,

Yeah, I first saw Animal House when I was 13, (an R-movie!--buddy with an older brother thing) so I obviously loved it then, but even as an adult, I have come to see it as a clever combination of satire (remember the actual title is National Lampoon's Animal House)raunch, and slapstick. Belushi is perfect in it, due to his ability to make the completely insane seem normal. Some of the gags are forced, but some are great, like the one when the send-up of the folk singer guy is singing the "I gave my love a cherry..." song to the rapt, adoring, women, and Belushi grabs his guitar, smashes it to bits, and then politely says, "Sorry."

And the Donald Sutherland character, often forgotten, is a great poke at college Literature professors, and DS is nicely deadpan in the role.
   131. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM (#4397641)
120: it's a common slogan and one I interpret differently than you
   132. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM (#4397642)
It was sidesplittingly funny for me, because that was exactly what Duke was like circa 1962**, with the SAE House and the ultra-uptight student Judicial Board. And every other Duke alum I knew at the time that movie was released had the same reaction.

Well, yeah, that's kind of the feeling I got watching the first 30 minutes -- that this movie was relevant and funny at one time, but that time is long since past.
   133. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM (#4397643)
Buzz also just got done with his car-elevator naming ceremony. The Mitt-Lift.

You think Buzz said to Mitt, You call THOSE magic underwear, fella?

edit: I like Animal House, BTW. And Caddyshack is great. Don't go into Caddyshack looking for a damned plot. I miss the 80's slobs vs. snobs comedies. Everyone wants to be a snob these days.
   134. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM (#4397649)
The last non-sf/horror show I watched regularly was ... season 2 or so of Gilmore Girls? Felicity? Maybe Allie McBeal? Possibly Law & Order or The Practice, or maybe Keen Eddie.

It's been awhile, obviously.
   135. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM (#4397650)
like the one when the send-up of the folk singer guy is singing the "I gave my love a cherry..." song to the rapt, adoring, women, and Belushi grabs his guitar, smashes it to bits, and then politely says, "Sorry."

Stephen Fry's comparison between British and American humour relies heavily on that scene. American comedy identifies with Belushi and British comedy identifies with the folk singer.
   136. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM (#4397652)
The last non-sf/horror show I watched regularly was ... season 2 or so of Gilmore Girls? Felicity? Maybe Allie McBeal?

Now the first few seasons of Gilmore Girls I will stand by as quality television, not just because of when I first saw it!
   137. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM (#4397655)
The Princess Bride is a good movie and all, but one for which the outpouring of gushing adoration (particularly on the internet) confuses me.
   138. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM (#4397657)
Link to Fry, since I think I did a poor job of expressing his point.
   139. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM (#4397658)
Now the first few seasons of Gilmore Girls I will stand by as quality television, not just because of when I first saw it!

One thing I like about Haven is that for me it evokes The X-Files as set in Stars Hollow, with some Twin Peaks added for good measure.
   140. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM (#4397659)
120: it's a common slogan and one I interpret differently than you

Those are probably all CBS stations that use the same format and marketing. I get where they're coming from and I don't listen to that much rap myself, but it struck me as odd.
   141. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM (#4397661)
Then again, I love The Three Stooges.

Speaking of whom, Facebook has just informed me that

Film history was made today as Larry, Moe & Curly began shooting Woman Haters in 1934. This would be the first of 190 shorts The Three Stooges made for Columbia.
   142. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM (#4397662)
I'm guessing "no," given the demographic skew and general tastes of BBTF, but, has anybody else seen Spring Breakers yet? Cuz, if you haven't, you should. It's ####### fantastic. I promise you this opinion is coming from a place of movie snobbery and not "OMG Selena Gomez 4 lyfe," too!
   143. spike Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM (#4397663)
I just base that on the fact that the two of three people I know who didn't see it as a kid did not enjoy it as an adult

Another data point here. Just sorta meh when I saw it.
   144. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM (#4397665)
I'm guessing "no," given the demographic skew and general tastes of BBTF, but, has anybody else seen Spring Breakers yet? Cuz, if you haven't, you should. It's ####### fantastic. I promise you this opinion is coming from a place of movie snobbery and not "OMG Selena Gomez 4 lyfe," too!

I definitely want to see it although I'm having a difficult time convincing the wife it's for legitimate film watching reasons. The preview looked amazing.
   145. Squash Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM (#4397666)
#80, no medical knowledge here, but my understanding is that it gets labeled as an addiction in large part because the neurological mechanism in gambling/shopping addiction is more similar to other types of (chemical) addictions than in most compulsions. The act of buying something/dropping another quarter in the slot sets off the same neurochemical reactions as you'd see in other addictions, rather than being involved in an anxiety merry-go-round that is very immediate and hard for the person to break away from like in OCD.

That's pretty much it. Addiction is actual a compensatory process - for a blunt example, a drug like heroin for example floods your body with endorphins. Too many endorphins puts your body out of whack, so over time and with repeated use of heroin your body begins producing fewer endorphins of its own than it normally would to compensate for the overabundance of outside endorphins you're bringing in on a regular basis, which means when you're then not taking heroin you're feeling all the unpleasant symptoms of an endorphin deficit - pain, nausea, cramping, etc. ... hence you need more heroin to get your endorphin levels back up to where they would ordinarily be. As your body compensates more and more and produces fewer and fewer endorphins you start needing more and more heroin to feel okay, hence why drug addicts can use much more of their drug than you or I could without being incapacitated, and why addiction often seems to spiral once a person hits a certain threshold - it's okay for a while, then it gets bad, then quickly moves to terrible.

Shopping and gambling work from a similar mechanism - if you're getting a rush when you shop or gamble (and clearly many people do) and you keep repeating that action to get that rush, eventually your body is going to tone down production of neurotransmitters (mostly dopamine, which is also the cocaine neurotransmitter) to compensate for that overabundance. So you then repeat that action (shopping/gambling) to get the rush back. That's why addictions can be tamped down by rehabbing or reducing one's use over time, though the process is extremely unpleasant.

OCD/compulsions seem to work from a more hardwired behavior - though the mechanism in terms of neurotransmitters is likely similar, with serotonin being the likely suspect. Your body naturally doesn't produce enough serotonin, leading to all manner of behavioral issues - the comorbidity between OCD and clinical depression is very high for example because they're both triggered from a lack of serotonin. You (usually) can't cold turkey OCD/compulsions depression the way you can addiction because your natural state is to be at a depressed level of the neurotransmitter, rather than needing to rebuild to your natural levels as with addiction - hence why you add drugs for an OCD patient but take them away from an addicted patient.
   146. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM (#4397669)
I definitely want to see it although I'm having a difficult time convincing the wife it's for legitimate film watching reasons. The preview looked amazing.

It's every bit as good as I'd hoped, and I've been hyping it for what feels like a year now. I'm always wary of pimping my own blog but you can read my thoughts at length here. I don't expect most people to like it as much as I did - given Korine's influences/style, my own tastes, and even my age (24), I'm pretty much tailor-made for it - but it's definitely worth a look. And yeah, I've also had a hard time selling it to others, though mentioning the Badlands influence usually perks up some ears.
   147. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM (#4397671)
135 on Fry on comedy: Seems true.
140: I'm with yitr here.
141: Facebook has a strange definition of "today".
142: I've heard that about Spring Breakers as well. Harmony Korine is a piece of work...
   148. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:01 PM (#4397677)
I like the lengths Andy is going to try to prove he doesn't, in fact, have a shrine set up in his house to Justin Bieber. No one is fooled!

Shows how much you know. The only shrine I have in this house is a stolen Madame Tussauds wax bust of Murray Chass. These goddam low-heat candles are costing me a fortune, but I can't get a permit for one of those JFK-style eternal flames.

---------------------------------------

[Animal House] was sidesplittingly funny for me, because that was exactly what Duke was like circa 1962**, with the SAE House and the ultra-uptight student Judicial Board. And every other Duke alum I knew at the time that movie was released had the same reaction.

Well, yeah, that's kind of the feeling I got watching the first 30 minutes -- that this movie was relevant and funny at one time, but that time is long since past.

I saw it again maybe 15 years ago, and while it wasn't as fresh on second viewing, I'd still put it somewhere near the bottom of my top 10 comedy list, well below The Producers but safely above the Marx Brothers.
   149. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:08 PM (#4397679)
[Animal House] was sidesplittingly funny for me, because that was exactly what Duke was like circa 1962**, with the SAE House and the ultra-uptight student Judicial Board. And every other Duke alum I knew at the time that movie was released had the same reaction.

I've mentioned before that such familiarity is probably why Dazed & Confused is probably my favorite comedy of the last quarter-century or so (not that I watch many comedies) -- it's set on the last day of high school for a bunch of juniors & seniors (plus of course Wooderson & young Timmy Lincecum) in 1976 in East Texas, which would've been the year I finished 11th grade in SW Arkansas, i.e. for all intents & purposes the same damned place (NW Louisiana would fit the bill as well).
   150. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:11 PM (#4397683)
The Producers? Is the movie just like the musical? Because the musical was unfunny. As in, it wasn't fun. It wasn't funny. Just boring.

(Not that I understand how "springtime for Hitler" goes off without a hitch as far as public acceptance goes. It will always be too soon to me to joke about the Holocaust.)

Of course, the next Mel Brooks vehicle I find funny will be the first.
   151. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:11 PM (#4397684)
I've mentioned before that such familiarity is probably why Dazed & Confused is probably my favorite comedy of the last quarter-century or so (not that I watch many comedies) -- it's set on the last day of high school for a bunch of juniors & seniors (plus of course Wooderson & young Timmy Lincecum) in 1976 in East Texas, which would've been the year I finished 11th grade in SW Arkansas, i.e. for all intents & purposes the same damned place (NW Louisiana would fit the bill as well).

It also features Ben Affleck's best performance ever.
   152. Steve Treder Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:11 PM (#4397685)
Yeah, I graduated high school in 1976. Nuf sed.
   153. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:12 PM (#4397686)
Is the movie just like the musical?
No.
Because the musical was unfunny. As in, it wasn't fun. It wasn't funny. Just boring.
Yes.

154. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:15 PM (#4397689)
The Producers? Is the movie just like the musical? Because the musical was unfunny. As in, it wasn't fun. It wasn't funny. Just boring.

The movie is a lot better than the musical. It's fantastic, in fact. But as you say later in your comment, you won't like it anyway.
   155. JJ1986 Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:18 PM (#4397691)
The movie of the musical is really bad.
   156. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:19 PM (#4397692)

This is actually similar to how I feel about Superbad, as it was written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg about the experience of suburban high school life in Canada at pretty much the same time I was attending a suburban Canadian high school.
   157. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:20 PM (#4397694)
And just to add, I've also always loved Dazed and Confused, though I don't have any personal or geographical connection to the movie.
   158. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:23 PM (#4397695)
Of course, the next Mel Brooks vehicle I find funny will be the first.

Lordy.
   159. The Buddy Biancalana Hit Counter Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:25 PM (#4397697)
No amount of page hits is worth exploiting someone's mental illness.

Exploiting his own mental illness is essentially Bissinger's career at this point.
   160. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:29 PM (#4397703)
Mel Brooks: Least Funny Man Ever

I love a good movie thread but I'm a little sad we aren't bashing Bissinger anymore. Then again, it would probably hurt him more that we've lost interest so quickly, so carry on!

In that vein, I'm going to do you straight guys in a committed relationships a favor. Next time the gf wants to snuggle up with you and watch a romantic comedy, check out Timer on Netflix. I ####### hate romantic comedies, but this one is tolerable. You're welcome!
   161. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:30 PM (#4397704)
I love Animal House, but then again, I was a (hell of a lot more recent than 1962) Dartmouth SAE, though I'm pretty sure the uptight house was not actually based on SAE but was more likely based on another fraternity.
   162. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:33 PM (#4397708)
Princess Bride might be one of those ones that you have to have seen as a kid to enjoy as an adult.

I first saw it at age 55 or so and loved it. It's held up well upon rewatching in the intervening years. It's just so much fun.

I was actually thinking earlier today that Animal House (which I have not seen) may work on a similar principle.

Yeah, probably. It was the first movie with Belushi post-SNL breakout, so there was that. Plus I had been a huge National Lampoon fan, and Pinto and Flounder ("Night of the Seven Fires") and much of the gang had already been fleshed out in several stories. But I can easily see non-Ray people not liking it. I love it, but recognize that it is nothing special as a piece of movie craftsmanship.
   163. tfbg9 Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:36 PM (#4397711)
"Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son."
"You f*cked up! You trusted us!"
"I'm pre-law. I thought you were pre-med? Same thing."
"Let it go. He's on a roll."
"Thank you sir! May I have another?"

I'm probably forgetting a bunch of them, but these came quickly to mind.
   164. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:47 PM (#4397716)
I think it certainly helps to be of a certain age the year comedies featuring people under the age of 25 come out. I watched Animal House for the first time just a few years ago, and I was wondering what the big deal was. I just didn't find it laugh-out-loud funny. It's possible that at that point, it's been ripped-off so many times and quoted to death that by the time I saw it, it was all lost on me.

Goonies came out when I was a kid, and I very much enjoyed it. Dazed & Confused came out when I was in high school, and I enjoyed that as well. These aren't Great Movies, really, but I still enjoy re-watching them.

Swingers is another example for me. That movie came out around the time I joined a circle of the best friends I've ever had, when we would go to the bars and try to pick up girls and knowingly make homoerotic jokes to each other. I recently re-watched it, thinking it'd be outdated but I was surprised to find out how much I still enjoy it.
   165. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:49 PM (#4397719)

I was talking about the 1968 Zero Mostel / Gene Wilder movie version, but you probably wouldn't like it, either. To each his own.

Of course I have to relate the central gag in The Producers to a great pool player (Ronnie Allen) who just died. He was broke in Vegas (as usual) and needed $500 for the entry fee for a big cash prize tournament. Taking a cue from Mostel (or maybe it was even before the movie, as the basic grift long predates it), he sold 50% shares of his potential winnings at $500 each to about 10 different people, but unfortunately got lost in the moment and wound up winning the tournament. Needless to say, he got the hell out of Vegas and laid low for a hell of a long time.

-----------------------------------------------------

I love Animal House, but then again, I was a (hell of a lot more recent than 1962) Dartmouth SAE, though I'm pretty sure the uptight house was not actually based on SAE but was more likely based on another fraternity.

It was supposedly based on Chris Miller's experiences in Alpha Delta Phi at Dartmouth, but at Duke it would've been the SAEs.
   166. Chip Posted: March 27, 2013 at 01:49 PM (#4397720)
Just want to clarify: Andy, a former bookstore owner, never heard of Bissinger? What did you do, deliberately avoid all exposure to best seller lists while running said store?
   167. Eric Ferguson Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:00 PM (#4397729)
I just can't fathom how people who express distaste for Mel Brooks, Animal House, current things that people enjoy, etc. find something redeeming in BTF of all things.
   168. Kurt Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:03 PM (#4397731)
I miss the 80's slobs vs. snobs comedies.

AV Club posted an overview of Harold Ramis' career as a screenwriter and director a week or two ago. What a monster he was. Animal House, Caddyshack, Meatballs, Stripes, Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, Back to School, Vacation...
   169. SoSH U at work Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:04 PM (#4397733)
It was supposedly based on Chris Miller's experiences in Alpha Delta Phi at Dartmouth.

Tying together two of these films, somewhere in my house is an old VCR copy of Caddyshack that had been lifted from the Alpha Delta Phi house at Dartmouth.

I enjoyed both movies.
   170. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:06 PM (#4397735)
I was kidding about Mel Brooks not being funny. He's got at least two movies in my top 15 comedies of all time.
   171. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:06 PM (#4397737)
168: And an early SCTV figure! I respect the heck out of Ramis and Groundhog Day is a delight.

One thing I appreciate about Brooks is that his throw everything at the screen approach seems to include fans of lots of different types of comedy, as opposed to turning those same people off (if that makes sense). Blazing Saddles' campfire scene didn't work for me, but the ending did (for example).
His best movie is, of course, Young Frankenstein.
   172. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:08 PM (#4397738)
AV Club posted an overview of Harold Ramis' career as a screenwriter and director a week or two ago. What a monster he was. Animal House, Caddyshack, Meatballs, Stripes, Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, Back to School, Vacation...

I am a big fan of his. Wedding Crashers was ALMOST a throw back to those 80's slobs vs snobs movies and got me excited, but, like I said, those guy turned out to WANT to be with the snobs. What happened to you America? You used to be cool.
   173. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:11 PM (#4397741)
One thing I appreciate about Brooks is that his throw everything at the screen approach seems to include fans of lots of different types of comedy, as opposed to turning those same people off (if that makes sense). Blazing Saddles' campfire scene didn't work for me, but the ending did (for example).
His best movie is, of course, Young Frankenstein.

Those are the only two movies of his I've seen, I think. I enjoyed them both.
   174. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:14 PM (#4397743)
Richard Pryor was supposed to be the lead in Blazing Saddles but he had, you know, some problems, though he wrote some of the movie. I'm guessing he wrote the "Where the white women at" line.
   175. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:16 PM (#4397745)
eta: still disappointed that the Girl Talk hijack failed.

My disappoint at the failed Kreayshawn hijack easily outpaces yours. Girl Talk's mashups are great with plenty of diverse source material for future hijacking attempts. A Gucci thread was Kreayshawn's only chance at every hijacking a BBTF thread, unless there's some tangent like "I wonder what Lady Soverign would be like if she were from Oakland?"
   176. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:21 PM (#4397749)
175/YR: Nice comp!

I'm not big on Girl Talk. He's good at what he does but... eh - not for me.
   177. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:26 PM (#4397756)
In regards to Brooks, Young Frankenstein is a perfect movie, a rich sendup/homage to the B&W horror movie genre that Brooks grew up on. Not over the top, which became Brooks' demise. The Producers is as good, if less craft-perfect. I like the rawness of it, with the over the top story line and the great blend of Mostel and Wilder. Blazing Saddles is good, if a bit hit or miss. But the end is great, I agree.

I haven't ever seen 12 Chairs. The post-YF movies are seem overdone with too much reaching for a laugh. They have their moments but none of them have ever left me with a sense that I saw anything more than a pedestrian movie.
   178. Swedish Chef Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:28 PM (#4397759)
Stephen Fry's comparison between British and American humour relies heavily on that scene. American comedy identifies with Belushi and British comedy identifies with the folk singer.

A bit rich for the country that made The Young Ones.
   179. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:30 PM (#4397762)
Just want to clarify: Andy, a former bookstore owner, never heard of Bissinger? What did you do, deliberately avoid all exposure to best seller lists while running said store?

It was a used book shop, and in the one I had there were no worse sellers than former best sellers. Anyone who would have wanted Buzz Bissinger books would have already bought them somewhere else. I couldn't have lasted as long as I did by trying to be a secondhand version of B&N.
   180. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:31 PM (#4397763)
I'm not big on Girl Talk. He's good at what he does but... eh - not for me.

I'll always have a soft spot for his stuff since he's the artist who first introduced me to mashups. It was through an NPR review of "Feed the Animals", oddly enough, since I don't listen to NPR routinely. I remember them playing a track from the album and hearing Salt-n-Pepa, Deee Lite, and Roy Orbison all layered on top of each other and thinking, "Holy cow, that's freakishly amazing."

Here's a nice list of free mashup albums if you're in to that stuff. Lots of quality stuff here - I never realized how badly Rush's "Tom Sawyer" begs to be rapped over.
   181. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:33 PM (#4397765)
Space Balls has its moments.
Also, let's not forget that Brooks helped give the world Get Smart, which I adored as a kid.

A bit rich for the country that made The Young Ones.

Which Fry appeared on.
   182. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:37 PM (#4397768)
I like mashups, just not Gillis' quick cut series of pairings (which is a good idea).
This is odd, but I prefer Jay Z's 99 Problems + Radiohead's The National Anthem over either individual track.
   183. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:45 PM (#4397774)
Biggest surprise for me in this thread was learning that Andy's only as old as trees, not as the mountains themselves. My mom went to Duke in 1963!

I also wanted to go back to [103] - I too am intrigued by the concept of thrift vintage becoming popular in the mainstream. Macklemore's "Thrift Shop" is actually explicitly written about a place where some of my favorite high school memories were made and that I've been to easily 100 times. "What do you guys wanna do today [instead of going to class]?" "Let's go to Thrift Town!"
   184. Swedish Chef Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:47 PM (#4397776)
This is odd, but I prefer Jay Z's 99 Problems + Radiohead's The National Anthem over either individual track.

I have mp3:s of a Jay-Z and Pavement (Slanted and Enchanted) mashup called "The Slack Album". It's not very good though.
   185. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:47 PM (#4397777)
Which Fry appeared on.

In one of (his only?) appearances on it he played a member of a upper-class twitty University Challenge team, which in one of his books serves as a segue into an amusing Hugh Laurie anecdote. Apparently Laurie was a second-generation rower, which was the focus of his life until illness forced him into comedy. While he was still rowing for Cambridge he lost the big annual race against Oxford by the narrowest margin in decades. Fry once told him he knew how he felt because his University Challenge team had suffered a narrow defeat, which is more or less the same thing. He said the normally friendly-to-a-fault Laurie gave him a dark look he has never since seen in all the years he's known him.

For fun, here's a clip of Fry's University Challenge days...if you look at the score I think it's safe to say this is not the narrow defeat he was referring to.

NOTE: In case you can't tell, I am hopelessly in love with Stephen Fry.
   186. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:50 PM (#4397780)

What I like about mashups is that it lets me enjoy the best hooks of pop music without having to listen to the generally execrable cacophony that is pop music. 10 seconds of "Call Me Maybe" is mashup gold. 3 minutes of "Call Me Maybe" cracks terrorists.
   187. Mike Webber Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:50 PM (#4397781)

There are at least three pairs of converse in my house right now that my teenage daughters bought at thrift shops. A couple of the teens that show up at my house occasionally do buy clothes at thrift shops, but teens have to be unusually confident to pull this off. Most of them have a basic uniform of american eagle, old navy, aeropostole, anthropologie, and shirts from some school club or activity that they rotate through.
   188. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:55 PM (#4397782)
I'm actually kind of surprised that thrift store clothing isn't already "mainstream". I kind of assumed it already was. Pretty much everyone I went to university with (2002-2006) got all their clothes at the local thrift store. Especially the trendy folk.

Personally, I just shopped there because I could get 80s San Diego Padres bullpen jackets for 50 cents...but there was a real sense that trendy people got all their clothes from there too.
   189. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:55 PM (#4397783)
Wow, I figured expensive clothes would make you look good.

So did Bissinger.
   190. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:56 PM (#4397784)
Biggest surprise for me in this thread was learning that Andy's only as old as trees, not as the mountains themselves. My mom went to Duke in 1963!

My 1st GF there is one of the highlighted faces on the cover of the latest alumni mag, but it's probably not your mother unless your last name is Rush.

I also wanted to go back to [103] - I too am intrigued by the concept of thrift vintage becoming popular in the mainstream.

As a tie-in to that thought, did anyone catch the front page article in Sunday's NY Times about Nasty Gal? I couldn't care less about fashion, but that's a great story about what one woman with a great idea can make herself a multi-millionaire out of practically nothing.

191. McCoy Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:56 PM (#4397785)
It's generally the 20 somethings that really go to town on thrift store clothing.
   192. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 02:58 PM (#4397786)
I'm actually kind of surprised that thrift store clothing isn't already "mainstream". I kind of assumed it already was. Pretty much everyone I went to university with (2002-2006) got all their clothes at the local thrift store. Especially the trendy folk.

Back in Little Rock circa 2000, the self-styled indie types definitely got a lot of their clothes from such places.

Which is to say, see #191.
   193. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:01 PM (#4397789)
. . . I doubt he's buying leather goods every single day like a true addict.

Didn't RTFA?
   194. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:06 PM (#4397794)
Can we get a Mel Brooks movie ranking?

1) Blazing Saddles
2) Young Frankenstein
3) History of the World Part I
4) Spaceballs
5) High Anxiety
6) The Twelve Chairs
7) To Be or Not to Be
8) Silent Movie
9) Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Have not seen:
The Producers
Life Stinks
Dracula: Dead and Loving It
   195. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:07 PM (#4397797)
Woo, it came back around! I'm a big fan of the Gillis style of quick cuts and multiple layered songs at a time, as opposed to a straight mashup. Trying to figure out which songs are being used and how is fun. There are some 2 song mashups that work great, though. Duke Ellington and Beyonce for example. Or Call Me Maybe and Head Like a Hole. But my absolute favorite is Biggie and Miley, Party and Bullshit in the USA.

That is definitely a quality show. I'm watching it for the first time now, and it's great. I can't believe I missed it the first time around. Well, no I can totally believe it, I was a 19 year old boy when it first came on. I also second everything said about the amazingness of the Princess Bride, but then I watched it almost every day for a summer in grade school. I can still quote most of it from memory. So, so great.
   196. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:11 PM (#4397800)
Inner Circle Hall of Fame:
1) Young Frankenstein
2) The Producers

Solidly HoF:
3) Blazing Saddles

Hall of Very Good:
4) Spaceballs
5) History of the World Part I (some truly inspired sections, though).
6) Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Sub Replacement:
7) Dracula, Dead and Loving It

Have not seen:
Life Stinks
High Anxiety
The Twelve Chairs
To Be or Not to Be
Silent Movie
   197. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:16 PM (#4397804)
(your pleas moved me, scott)

I appreciated Gilmore Girls more than I liked it. Graham is super good with that role.

I listened to, quickly deleted The Slack Album back when it came out. Grey Album is pretty good, but more as a novelty. Glad Dangermouse got a career out of it.
Another track I liked involved Cecile (Hot Like We) over Belle and Sebastian (Your Cover's Blown).

Macklemore does nothing for me.
   198. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:19 PM (#4397808)
That is definitely a quality show. I'm watching it for the first time now, and it's great.

I need to figure out when I stopped watching it (because of lack of opportunity, rather than any perceived decline in quality) so I can rectify that situation at some point. I gave a friend the full DVD set for Xmas a couple of years ago, & I figure she owes me a loan, since she's had my deluxe Freaks & Geeks set for at least that long.
   199. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:19 PM (#4397809)
Re Mel Brooks I will say, to be fair, that I immensely enjoyed watching Get Smart reruns when I was 15 or so. Not sure I'd be all that interested now but, yes, I thought they were fun at the time.
   200. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:21 PM (#4397810)
Re Mel Brooks I will say, to be fair, that I immensely enjoyed watching Get Smart reruns when I was 15 or so. Not sure I'd be all that interested now but, yes, I thought they were fun.

Any earthshaking concession on that level by that person definitely warrants a flip.
Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.