Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Buzz Bissinger: My Gucci Addiction

In the past few years, I’ve bought eighty-one leather jackets. Dozens of boots and leather gloves. I’ve purchased pants that cost $5,000. I own a $22,000 coat. This winter I took a tour of Milan’s Fashion Week (all expenses paid by Gucci, in appreciation of my many, many purchases), where I spent tens of thousands more and began to seriously grapple, once and for all, with a compulsion that could cost me more than just my life savings. My name is Buzz Bissinger. I am 58 years old, the best-selling author of ‘Friday Night Lights,’ father of three, husband. And I am a shopaholic.

OsunaSakata Posted: March 26, 2013 at 04:30 PM | 290 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: media

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:23 PM (#4397814)
I'm not sure how i'd feel about Get Smart now v. when I was 15 either. But I loved it at 15...
   202. Jarrod HypnerotomachiaPoliphili(Teddy F. Ballgame) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:25 PM (#4397815)
It will always be too soon to me to joke about the Holocaust.

Fixed.
   203. Mike Webber Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:34 PM (#4397821)
I appreciated Gilmore Girls more than I liked it.

Brush with greatness, I ate lunch with Sean Gunn (Kirk) and his brother James of viva los birdos, before game 3 of the 2004 World Series.
   204. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:39 PM (#4397824)
I went to law school with his sister Beth.
   205. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:47 PM (#4397826)
Sean Gunn (Kirk) and his brother James

Who of course teamed up in The Specials (the superhero movie, not the ska band), which I loved. Ditto for Super, which I loved even more, though James doesn't act in that one.
   206. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 03:54 PM (#4397829)
Get Smart, which I adored as a kid.

Raise the cone of silence!
   207. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 04:03 PM (#4397833)
The Specials (the superhero movie, not the ska band)

My disappointment is crushing.
   208. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 04:10 PM (#4397844)
Yeah, I wanted to pass along a message for Rudy.
   209. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: March 27, 2013 at 04:16 PM (#4397852)
I'm actually kind of surprised that thrift store clothing isn't already "mainstream". I kind of assumed it already was. Pretty much everyone I went to university with (2002-2006) got all their clothes at the local thrift store. Especially the trendy folk.

Ebay (and such) and the growth of vintage stores have made thrifting a lot trickier than it was 20 years ago. Pickers will clear the good stuff out a lot of charity thrift shops very quickly. A lot of contemporary thrifting is really just people shopping at vintage and resale shops for the sort of stuff that doesn't last long on the shelves at a regular thrift store. I abandoned charity thrift stores simply because the amount of effort necessary to find interesting stuff has been steadily escalating, and finally got to the point that it just isn't worthwhile any more.
   210. Zach Posted: March 27, 2013 at 04:23 PM (#4397855)
This is actually similar to how I feel about Superbad, as it was written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg about the experience of suburban high school life in Canada at pretty much the same time I was attending a suburban Canadian high school.

Superbad is a really well written movie. The feeling of simultaneously liking and being exasperated with your friends is a lot closer to the high school that I remember than all the teen comedies obsessing about the in crowd and the prom queen.
   211. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: March 27, 2013 at 04:30 PM (#4397867)
Ebay (and such) and the growth of vintage stores have made thrifting a lot trickier than it was 20 years ago. Pickers will clear the good stuff out a lot of charity thrift shops very quickly. A lot of contemporary thrifting is really just people shopping at vintage and resale shops for the sort of stuff that doesn't last long on the shelves at a regular thrift store. I abandoned charity thrift stores simply because the amount of effort necessary to find interesting stuff has been steadily escalating, and finally got to the point that it just isn't worthwhile any more.

Twelve years ago I got awesome pieces of clothing from thrift stores, shirts and sweaters I still wear to this day. I would spend 90 minutes going through the racks, and grumbling because an awesome piece was too small for me. There was plenty of vintage to be had if you were willing to spend the time looking. The last time I went to a thrift store, I found absolutely nothing to like, even in different sizes. You can't get anything "cool" anymore; it's all sweatshirts from the Gap and button-down shirts in very loud colors/patterns.

I do have a soft spot for Little League jerseys, so thrift stores can still be good for that. The XXL ones fit an adult my size pretty well.
   212. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 27, 2013 at 05:32 PM (#4397933)
In 2002, in a thrift store in Flagstaff Arizona, I found a perfectly sized blue workshirt, from a gas station in a nearby town, with the nametag "Bubba". It was not a joke or ironic - it was simply Bubba's shirt. It was the greatest shirt I have ever owned.

And then in 2004, some ###### in my fraternity stole it out of my closet. I have always regretted the loss.
   213. Drexl Spivey Posted: March 27, 2013 at 06:01 PM (#4397951)
In 2002, in a thrift store in Flagstaff Arizona, I found a perfectly sized blue workshirt, from a gas station in a nearby town, with the nametag "Bubba". It was not a joke or ironic - it was simply Bubba's shirt. It was the greatest shirt I have ever owned.

And then in 2004, some ###### in my fraternity stole it out of my closet. I have always regretted the loss.

I would definitely be willing to purchase a "Bubba" workshirt from a thrift store.

I love nametagged workshirts. I also love Bubba Watson, and the name Bubba in general (despite my disinterest in Forrest Gump).
   214. McCoy Posted: March 27, 2013 at 06:08 PM (#4397955)
I think the whole hipster/ironic craze of wearing work shirts with or without a name on it to be in the top 5 dumbest fashion trends of the last 10 years.
   215. PreservedFish Posted: March 27, 2013 at 06:15 PM (#4397957)
Is that a recent trend? I bought a thrift store work shirt with "Ted" or something like that on it around 2000, and I don't think I was particularly ahead of the game.
   216. Drexl Spivey Posted: March 27, 2013 at 06:23 PM (#4397958)
I think the whole hipster/ironic craze of wearing work shirts with or without a name on it to be in the top 5 dumbest fashion trends of the last 10 years.

I don't really follow fashion trends. I just think that a blue workshirt with the name "Bubba" on it is funny.
   217. Drexl Spivey Posted: March 27, 2013 at 06:32 PM (#4397960)
Also, I don't really know what "hipster/ironic" even means.

Is wearing a black shirt and blue jeans a la Louis C.K. considered to be "hipster/ironic"?
   218. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 06:51 PM (#4397969)

The Toronto (or maybe Ontario?) Goodwill clearing house centre is a block from my parent's house. Since my dad retired he spends about 2-3 hours a day there. He knows some people that stock their used book stores or clothing stores almost exclusively from scouring the shop (they sell clothes by the pound). He stocks up all year and every Christmas gives me a bunch of 18th and 19th century books, one or two have been first editions. My mom has to put her foot down every now and then...like explaining that the law of diminishing returns means buying a vacuum cleaner for 25 cents is no longer worthwhile when you already have 7 vacuum cleaners at home.

I sometimes go in there with him and it really is insanity. You can tell who the shop-owners are, they can zip through a bin of hundreds of books in about a minute and somehow manage to pluck out every worthwhile one.
   219. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 06:54 PM (#4397972)

One of my favourite thrift store finds was a nice collared workshirt from a Horseshoe Club with "Greg" written in cursive. I still have it actually.

I also got a "Medical Mission to Zambia: 2002" t-shirt, which I thought would be a great conversation starter! Unfortunately every conversation it has started has ended with the other person thinking I'm a dick for false advertising when I say that I haven't actually been to Zambia. I don't think I thought that one through all the way.
   220. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 06:56 PM (#4397975)
Is wearing a black shirt and blue jeans a la Louis C.K. considered to be "hipster/ironic"?

I always considered "hipsters" to be people who are cooler than me. But that definition is so broad that it is not really useful as a term.
   221. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: March 27, 2013 at 07:11 PM (#4397984)
Also, I don't really know what "hipster/ironic" even means.

I am assuming you're asking this question um, not ironically. But an example of ironic fashion would be a kid who fancies himself punk wearing a New Kids on the Block t-shirt, since you can see from the rest of his punk rock get-up, he oh so clearly does not like New Kids on the Block. Wearing a work shirt with Bubba's name on it is also ironic, because you clearly do not work at that place, and your name is certainly not Bubba. So it's funny! And you are clever for wearing it, and everyone will admire your cleverness.

I graduate high school about 18 years ago, when the "alternative" kids had been doing it for a couple years, including myself. I admit in taking pleasure of the craze. Kids would wear shirts of bands they obviously were not fans of, and I remember trading fast food work shirts with a friend one day with a friend. I work his Blockbuster Video work shirt to school that day, and he work my Dairy Queen shirt. It got good laughs from the co-workers we went to school with, so it was fun. And if you actually scored Bubba's old work shirt with his name still intact at a thrift store, that was a tremendous find. But now you can get one at the mall.

I confess to enjoying a well-played ironic shirt. The closest I come to it these days is wearing my Eric Gagne Red Sox t-shirt, but my roommate when I first moved to NYC in our early twenties had one of those t-shirt that read "If I Knew Grandkids Would be This Much Fun, I Would've Had Them First!" I always got at least a smile whenever I saw him wear it, and it still cracks me up right now just thinking about it.

EDIT: I also wear the Bo Jackson shirt I found at my parents' house from when I was 12, and I've been accused of irony wearing it around hipster Brooklyn. But I am always quick to assure that my admiration for Bo Jackson is the furthest thing from irony.
   222. Drexl Spivey Posted: March 27, 2013 at 07:33 PM (#4397991)
And you are clever for wearing it, and everyone will admire your cleverness.

That is an excellent explanation.

You're basically describing everything in mental floss's store:

http://store.mentalfloss.com/T-Shirts

I don't know what is clever about wearing a Bubba workshirt.
   223. Steve Treder Posted: March 27, 2013 at 07:41 PM (#4397996)
I don't know what is clever about wearing a Bubba workshirt.

It's clever to the extent that "clever" is defined as "having privileged fun at the expense of people who actually have to wear such shirts at their jobs."
   224. Drexl Spivey Posted: March 27, 2013 at 07:45 PM (#4397998)
It's clever to the extent that "clever" is defined as "having privileged fun at the expense of people who actually have to wear such shirts at their jobs."

There is nothing about wearing a uniform that mocks workers.

I love uniforms. Not having to buy/think about what to wear would be awesome.

225. spike Posted: March 27, 2013 at 07:49 PM (#4397999)
The "workshirt" thing stems in part from the latter day rockabilly/"kustom kulture" revival. Vintage clothing is a non-renewable resource, and quality items are very pricey now (as are period correct repros), as well as generally sized quite small. Affecting a "greaser" look is much more economical, as well as comfortable, by substituting a Dickie's work shirt for a gabardine bowling shirt. It's harmless enough, in the grand scheme of things - at least they fit, and while slavish to a degree, not particularly garish and have some utilitarian value as a hard wearing garment you can machine wash.

I used to be a committed thrifter back in the '80s, but the payoff has been diminishing for many years. Estate sales and pawnshops are still viable, but eBay has equipped almost everyone with the ability to more or less accurately gauge value.

//Apparently this is the thread where I reveal my passion for vintage menswear.
   226. Drexl Spivey Posted: March 27, 2013 at 07:55 PM (#4398002)
and while slavish to a degree,

What is slavish about wearing a workshirt?

I liked wearing workshirts. I never had to clean them; I'd just toss them into the laundry bin at the end of the day.

Exactly how demeaning do people here consider labor jobs to be?
   227. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 27, 2013 at 07:58 PM (#4398003)
The Toronto (or maybe Ontario?) Goodwill clearing house centre is a block from my parent's house.

Buzz Bissinger: "Any Gucci?"
   228. spike Posted: March 27, 2013 at 08:08 PM (#4398011)
and while slavish to a degree

Calm down - I meant in terms of it being stereotypically reflective of how people perceive "The Fifties", like a pink Cadillac or a poodle skirt. A hackneyed totem of the times, if you will.
   229. Greg K Posted: March 27, 2013 at 08:08 PM (#4398012)

Buzz Bissinger: "Any Gucci?"

My did buy a single Italian leather woman's boot there once, slice it up and turn it into a pouch for my Kindle, (I think it broke his heart getting me a Christmas gift that he didn't either purchase "from a guy" or make himself...so he had to throw in the pouch as well).

I didn't catch who designed the boot though.
   230. Drexl Spivey Posted: March 27, 2013 at 08:19 PM (#4398018)

Calm down - I meant in terms of it being stereotypically reflective of how people perceive "The Fifties", like a pink Cadillac or a poodle skirt. A hackneyed totem of the times, if you will.

People today still wear workshirts. It's not a Fifties stereotype.
   231. PreservedFish Posted: March 27, 2013 at 08:20 PM (#4398020)
By the way, I read the article. Bissinger is a monster. A harrowing portrait of himself, both in the way he knew it would be harrowing and in other ways too.
   232. spike Posted: March 27, 2013 at 08:29 PM (#4398023)
People today still wear workshirts. It's not a Fifties stereotype.

Sure they do - I was specifically referring to a subgroup that adopted the fashion and why. For goodness sakes, I drove a forklift for a good while and wore one with my name it every day. I thoroughly empathize with blue collar workers and am proud to have been one.
   233. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: March 27, 2013 at 09:32 PM (#4398045)
[190] My 1st GF there is one of the highlighted faces on the cover of the latest alumni mag, but it's probably not your mother unless your last name is Rush.

Sadly no. Unless you've a trust fund to bestow upon a long-lost illegitimate love child.

Also, thank you for posting the Nasty Gal article, interesting read.
   234. McCoy Posted: March 27, 2013 at 09:39 PM (#4398049)
Nothing wrong with wearing a utilitarian workshirt for utilitarian reasons. For instance I'll wear chef pants if I have to go out and do physical chores like cleaning out a garage, moving, and yes even cooking. Going to the club or bar wearing a trucker hat and Mack's "Big Boy Mechanics" workshirt is silly.

Whenever I see guys walking around wearing blue collar work outfits as fashion I think of Dexy's Midnight Runners.
   235. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 27, 2013 at 09:47 PM (#4398053)
#223 - it has nothing to do with "privileged fun". Ridiculous is ridiculous, be it a "Bubba" shirt or something else. My second favorite thrift purchase, which I still have, is an enormous, gorgeous, briefcase from the 60's embossed with "Davis Polk & Wardwell" and with a velvet-lined interior. Those poor saps at Davis Polk, yuk yuk yuk!
   236. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: March 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM (#4398103)
Great writer, though - FNL is a much richer book than the movie or show

Admittedly, I've never read the book, but the show is pretty amazing.
   237. Steve Treder Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM (#4398114)
#223 - it has nothing to do with "privileged fun".

Except in all the ways that it does.
   238. ellsbury my heart at wounded knee Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:42 PM (#4398125)
People have much more dogmatic opinions on fashion than I expected from BBTF.
   239. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM (#4398132)
I work his Blockbuster Video work shirt to school that day, and he work my Dairy Queen shirt. It got good laughs from the co-workers we went to school with, so it was fun

I worked as a peanut vendor at County Stadium during high school and we were issued these heavy cotton (almost denim like) collared navy blue shirts (SportsService). During this time I was also on the high school golf team, where the golf attire required a collared shirt and no jeans. We were all issued one HS golf shirt (I think we paid for it), the rest of the time we had to simply wear a colored shirt and pants (nobody wore shorts golfing in Milwaukee in March/April). I wore my SportsService uniform shirt several times during golf matches, I had a game to work that night. It went over alright except for the total golf dork crowd fitted in Ashworth head to toe.

We had a teammate that was trying to get his mom to stitch a collar to his Metal Up Your Ass Metallica T-shirt.
   240. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:32 AM (#4398155)

Around here, a fair number of Slavic people wear them. Does that count?
   241. Flynn Posted: March 28, 2013 at 05:16 AM (#4398174)
I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing workshirts for fashion, provided you have the self-awareness to think about how you treat blue-collar people/service industry people and the issues that affect them. If you're the kind of person who thinks service means servitude you probably shouldn't be wearing your Bubba workshirt. I also think paying $100 for a workshirt that's been designed to look like it was worn by Bubba is pretty macabre too.
   242. Greg K Posted: March 28, 2013 at 05:26 AM (#4398176)
Nothing wrong with wearing a utilitarian workshirt for utilitarian reasons.

Agreed. I have a Star Trek TNG Security uniform, but I only wear it when I'm guarding something.
   243. Rafael Bellylard: Built like a Panda. Posted: March 28, 2013 at 05:43 AM (#4398177)
I haven't been in a thrift store in years. The idea of going to one reminds me of a Louie Anderson skit:

Louie: Mom, I don't want to stop at the garage sale.
Mom: Oh come on, you might find a shirt.
Louie: Does Raymond Burr live here?
   244. Drexl Spivey Posted: March 28, 2013 at 06:18 AM (#4398179)
I also think paying $100 for a workshirt that's been designed to look like it was worn by Bubba is pretty macabre too.

I honestly didn't realize that people were paying $100 for workshirts.

I don't own a workshirt. I go out of my way to avoid wearing anything that would prompt the question "where did you get that?"

I just like the nickname "Bubba" and assumed that workshirts were just generic clothing items. I never meant to associate workshirts with fashion.
   245. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: March 28, 2013 at 08:47 AM (#4398228)
My best friend in elementary school was named Bubba, but everyone called hum Buddy.

246. Ron J2 Posted: March 28, 2013 at 08:52 AM (#4398234)
#194 I feel the same way as about Blazing Saddles as I do about Princess Bride. I don't think either are great movies. They just have enough great scenes or simply great (quotable) lines that they're always a pleasure to watch.

EDIT: It always blows me away that Princess Bride and Marathon Man were written by the same guy. I don't think Marathon Man is a great movie either, but it does have some stomach churning moments.
   247. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: March 28, 2013 at 09:07 AM (#4398248)
I honestly didn't realize that people were paying $100 for workshirts.

Denim workshirts used to run 99 cents at Kresge's, or about seven bucks in today's dollars. I should have stocked up while I still had a chance.
   248. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 09:51 AM (#4398302)
I haven't been in a thrift store in years. The idea of going to one reminds me of a Louie Anderson skit:

Louie: Mom, I don't want to stop at the garage sale.
Mom: Oh come on, you might find a shirt.
Louie: Does Raymond Burr live here?

That's damn funny. Anyone watching Louie on that diving show? I keep forgetting it exists.
   249. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: March 28, 2013 at 09:57 AM (#4398308)
I don't really follow fashion trends. I just think that a blue workshirt with the name "Bubba" on it is funny.

Uh, dude. That *is* following trend.
   250. McCoy Posted: March 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM (#4398379)
I think it is weird to wear another man's shirt. Especially when that other man's shirt has his name on it and not yours.
   251. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: March 28, 2013 at 11:15 AM (#4398390)
My wardrobe is very boring. If I find a shirt I like, I'll just go buy every color and call it a couple years. I literally have like 13 of the exact same henley short sleeve shirt. I do have some custom made short-sleeve button downs, mainly because I like to get them longer than average because my proportions are off as I'm a 5'11" man who curiously has a 29" inseam.
   252. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: March 28, 2013 at 11:20 AM (#4398397)
I think it is weird to wear another man's shirt. Especially when that other man's shirt has his name on it and not yours.

Thrift store MLB jerseys are the best, because you are wearing another man's shirt with a third man's name on it.
   253. Greg K Posted: March 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM (#4398410)
Thrift store MLB jerseys are the best, because you are wearing another man's shirt with a third man's name on it.

I have a Ringette jersey with the name "Kimmie" on it. Though I'm guessing the original owner actually was Kimmie as I'm not sure Ringette is big enough to have fans buying replica jerseys. So I guess that's just wearing a woman's shirt.
   254. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM (#4398472)
10 seconds of "Call Me Maybe" is mashup gold. 3 minutes of "Call Me Maybe" cracks terrorists.

Too lazy to look for the link, but have you heard the "Call Me Maybe" / "Head Like a Hole" mashup?

255. ellsbury my heart at wounded knee Posted: March 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM (#4398501)
I just assumed all you guys wore whichever pair of sweatpants was least covered with orange cheeto stains.
   256. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:01 PM (#4398505)
   257. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:04 PM (#4398508)
I just assumed all you guys wore whichever pair of sweatpants was least covered with orange cheeto stains.

Note to self: Buy orange sweatpants.
   258. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:31 PM (#4398538)
Too lazy to look for the link, but have you heard the "Call Me Maybe" / "Head Like a Hole" mashup?

Yeah that one got pretty popular a couple of weeks ago. Amusingly in light of #256, I heard it referred to as "Call Me a Hole" which makes me chuckle.

The Bootie Blog is my favorite site for assorted mashups from multiple sources. "Call Me a Hole" made their top-10 for March.
   259. Answer Guy Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:41 PM (#4398545)
I love Animal House, but then again, I was a (hell of a lot more recent than 1962) Dartmouth SAE, though I'm pretty sure the uptight house was not actually based on SAE but was more likely based on another fraternity.

Ugh, SAE is all that people want to talk about now when the subject of Dartmouth comes up. I guess it's better than rehashing that story about the two professors those two teenagers murdered like a decade ago.

Such is the downside of a school that the smart set has heard of but where not a damn thing happens generally.
   260. Lassus Posted: March 28, 2013 at 01:43 PM (#4398548)

Horrifying.
   261. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 02:22 PM (#4398591)
Horrifying.

Yeah, I didn't really care for it, either.

Of course, I kind of enjoy this one, so what do I know?
   262. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 28, 2013 at 03:00 PM (#4398615)
Ugh, SAE is all that people want to talk about now when the subject of Dartmouth comes up. I guess it's better than rehashing that story about the two professors those two teenagers murdered like a decade ago.

Us alums had a good laugh about that RS story. We were a fine house back in my day - in the preppy muddle with Psi U - better than I think we are now, but lord knows, we weren't bedding chicks two at a time and bumping coke off their inner thighs or whatever. Such a preposterous story.

I ended up staying at a B&B at the same time as a senior dean a little while after the story was published, and over breakfast I expressed my, how to say, disbelief. He told me that the College's view was that the whistleblower was a pathological liar.

FWIW, I was a geology major when the Zantops were murdered. It was awful. Half was a good man.
   263. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 03:09 PM (#4398621)
I guess it's better than rehashing that story about the two professors those two teenagers murdered like a decade ago.

Hadn't heard about that case until I read a book on it last year. Pretty harrowing, needless to say.
   264. Sonic Youk Posted: March 28, 2013 at 03:32 PM (#4398636)
Most mashups are pretty lame novelties, but after 2 years, I still listen to the Wugazi album pretty frequently. It's amazing.
   265. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 03:38 PM (#4398639)
   266. Answer Guy Posted: March 28, 2013 at 03:51 PM (#4398647)
FWIW, I was a geology major when the Zantops were murdered. It was awful. Half was a good man.

Met him once at a College function, don't recall the occassion; knew several students who had one or the other for classes. No one there had an ill word to say about either Half or Suzanne. Truly awful, and got a lot more press attention than it would have had it happened at, say, Penn, where it'd be "someone else got murdered in West Philly last night." (University City's a little better than it used to be, but it's still West Philly.)

It's likely very different now, but I will say that in those days that was a tough campus to discover that you're gay. (Granted, the BF is a BYU alumnus and he has me beat hands down in that department.) The Greek system kind of dominated things and the result was tough on those of us who weren't fraternity types.
   267. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 04:24 PM (#4398664)
Also, I RTFA and those who are billing it as the confession of a shopaholic are wrong on both points. I would say of the "confessions" in the article, spending a lot of money on leather clothes is one of the least shocking. This is a guy who has seriously repressed gender/sexuality issues that he needs to work through. He is a deeply insecure #######.

But also, calling it a confession is a misnomer - and Bissinger seems to get this. He is still highly defensive of his shopping and other habits and doesn't think it has had any negative consequences. He can't help but get in his digs at us boring white guys who shop at J. Crew and Brooks Brothers. He lacks the self awareness to realize that all of the fashion people complimenting his style are salespeople whose kids he is putting through college with his purchases.

My wardrobe is very boring. If I find a shirt I like, I'll just go buy every color and call it a couple years.

Dan, I am similar in many ways. I am also a skinny 5'11 guy with somewhat awkward proportions so when I find something that fits me well I tend to buy it in a bunch of different colors (some companies make this very easy with their online stores, some don't). Having clothes that fit well is much more important than having expensive/flashy clothing. This seems to be a lesson that Bissinger's Gucci stylist failed to teach him.
   268. Poulanc Posted: March 28, 2013 at 04:38 PM (#4398669)
Woo, it came back around! I'm a big fan of the Gillis style of quick cuts and multiple layered songs at a time, as opposed to a straight mashup. Trying to figure out which songs are being used and how is fun. There are some 2 song mashups that work great, though. Duke Ellington and Beyonce for example. Or Call Me Maybe and Head Like a Hole. But my absolute favorite is Biggie and Miley, Party and ######## in the USA.

How about this one.
   269. spike Posted: March 28, 2013 at 04:46 PM (#4398675)
He lacks the self awareness

Just a bit....

Gucci men's clothing best represents who I want to be and have become—rocker, edgy, tight, bad boy, hip, stylish, flamboyant, unafraid, raging against the conformity that submerges us into boredom and blandness and the sexless saggy sackcloths that most men walk around in like zombies without the cinematic excitement of engorging flesh.

The pics I've seen aren't what I'd call edgy.
   270. The Good Face Posted: March 28, 2013 at 05:12 PM (#4398693)
Having clothes that fit well is much more important than having expensive/flashy clothing. This seems to be a lesson that Bissinger's Gucci stylist failed to teach him.

Very true, but based on those photos, Bissinger is short, pudgy, and somewhat pear-shaped; not great raw material to work with. Even the best stylist can't do much with a short, fat guy who insists on wearing tight leather.
   271. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 05:17 PM (#4398699)
Even the best stylist can't do much with a short, fat guy who insists on wearing tight leather.

Euthanasia?
   272. McCoy Posted: March 28, 2013 at 05:24 PM (#4398703)
There is no Nats thread so I'll put it here. A vendor dropped off 4 SRO tickets to tomorrow's Yankees vs Nats game at 2pm. If anybody wants one or two or three let me know.

273. Zach Posted: March 28, 2013 at 05:40 PM (#4398708)
The best mashup I've heard is Neutral Bling Hotel's King of Ante up.
   274. Zach Posted: March 28, 2013 at 05:54 PM (#4398715)
I would say of the "confessions" in the article, spending a lot of money on leather clothes is one of the least shocking. This is a guy who has seriously repressed gender/sexuality issues that he needs to work through. He is a deeply insecure #######.

That's what I thought, too. The clothes are kind of stupid, but to each his own. The obsessive shopping, the almost orgasmic reaction to buying (forgotten a couple of days later when the clothes actually arrive), the icky sex stuff...

And while making fun of other people's appearance isn't my favorite thing to do, I think it's important to note that his feelings of sexual power and attractiveness are not actually grounded in anything. He's a schlubby mid 50s male who has spent a half million on clothes without going to the gym. He wants to project an image -- a "rocker" -- that hasn't been current in forty years. The fact that this has apparently all developed in the last three years is also disturbing.

It reminded me of this essay.

A narcissist looks the same every day; he has a "look" with a defining characteristic: a certain haircut; a mustache; a type of clothing, a tatoo. He used these to create an identity in his mind that he will spend a lot of energy keeping up.

Consider the narcissist who wants his wife to wear only white, high heeled pumps. The narcissist wants this not because he himself likes white high heel pumps-- which he might-- but because the type of person he thinks he is would only be with the type of woman who wears white high heeled pumps. Or, in other terms, other people would expect someone like himself to be with a woman who wears those shoes. What he likes isn't the relevant factor, and certainly what she likes is irrelevant. What matters is that she (and her shoes) are accessories to him.

Never mind that the woman is obese, or 65, or the shoes out of style, or impractical-- the shoes represent something to him, and he is trying to reinforce his identity through that object.
   275. tfbg9 Posted: March 28, 2013 at 06:01 PM (#4398718)
Bissinger is short, pudgy, and somewhat pear-shaped; not great raw material to work with.

Men like Buzz are why the suit was invented in he first place; portly middle-aged guys look presentable in suits. They look like fools in the clothes Buzz fetishizes.
I RTFA for some reason. What a sad, sad man. I hope he overcomes.
   276. robinred Posted: March 28, 2013 at 06:07 PM (#4398722)
He's a schlubby mid 50s male who has spent a half million on clothes without going to the gym.

This element surprised me a bit, in that I would think a guy with the issues Bissinger appears to have here might react in part to those feelings by serious dieting and a lot of working out, if for no other reason than to look better in the clothes.
   277. Zach Posted: March 28, 2013 at 06:18 PM (#4398727)
I would think a guy with the issues Bissinger appears to have here might react in part to those feelings by serious dieting and a lot of working out, if for no other reason than to look better in the clothes.

That's why I think people are right to say he has a fetish or an addiction. It really is about the clothes. Looking good without purchasing new, expensive, leather Gucci clothes with a "rocker" theme doesn't appear to do anything for him.
   278. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 07:09 PM (#4398753)
How about this one.

The songs don't mesh well enough together and aren't at the proper tempo to play well together. That NMH mashup is excellent.
   279. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 28, 2013 at 08:35 PM (#4398800)
Most mashups are pretty lame novelties, but after 2 years, I still listen to the Wugazi album pretty frequently. It's amazing.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
   280. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM (#4399172)
The Grey Album is fantastic. Jay-Z's Black Album and The Beatles' White Album, done by Danger Mouse.
   281. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 29, 2013 at 01:05 PM (#4399182)
I enjoyed The Specials (movie). Low expectations help here...
Didn't see it above, but Bissinger entered rehab.
   282. The Good Face Posted: March 29, 2013 at 01:29 PM (#4399192)
This element surprised me a bit, in that I would think a guy with the issues Bissinger appears to have here might react in part to those feelings by serious dieting and a lot of working out, if for no other reason than to look better in the clothes.

Yeah, for a tiny fraction of what he's blown on ill-fitting clothes, he could have hired a trainer to work with him on a daily basis to reshape his body into something less... toad-like.
   283. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 02:38 PM (#4399232)
Didn't see it above, but Bissinger entered rehab.

Yeah. The article really was a cry for help. He cancelled on a Today show interview to instead go to rehab, which makes me think his close friends and family sat him down. He had already admitted he had a problem, which is one of the biggest and hardest steps. I hope he's working with people who can help him. I think he's a bloviating jackass, but I know people who've suffered from gambling addiction, and ruined not only their own but their family's life because of it. And that's not to mention the friends I've had whose lives were wrecked by drugs.

he could have hired a trainer to work with him on a daily basis to reshape his body into something less... toad-like.

Anti-mutant racism!
   284. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 02:43 PM (#4399238)
Not to mention anti-toad speciesism.
   285. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 04:26 PM (#4399311)

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed. Never heard of it, even though I love Wu-Tang and Fugazi. Listening to it right now and it is fantastic.
   286. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 05:35 PM (#4399342)
And while not a mash-up, this is a great re-lyrical styling of Thrift Shop.
   287. Lassus Posted: March 29, 2013 at 06:26 PM (#4399360)
If we're talking entertainment, I saw Seven Psychopaths last night, which was extraordinarily underwhelming. I was shocked by its Rotten Tomatoes rating.
   288. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 07:09 PM (#4399385)
Yeah. The article really was a cry for help.

I am not a psychologist, but I would say the clothes were a cry for help. When they failed to attract enough attention he wrote the article.

That's why I think people are right to say he has a fetish or an addiction. It really is about the clothes. Looking good without purchasing new, expensive, leather Gucci clothes with a "rocker" theme doesn't appear to do anything for him.

Right, I think it's pretty clear from TFA that Bissinger's primary issue is confusion/insecurity about his gender/sexuality, not his appearance.
   289. Greg K Posted: March 29, 2013 at 07:23 PM (#4399392)
If we're talking entertainment, I saw Seven Psychopaths last night, which was extraordinarily underwhelming. I was shocked by its Rotten Tomatoes rating.

I was really looking forward to it, and was mildly disappointed, though I still liked it. It seemed a little meandering and formless until they got to the desert. From then on it was pure gold for me.
   290. Greg K Posted: March 29, 2013 at 07:27 PM (#4399394)
Perhaps you'll find the cat version of the film more to your tastes, Lassus.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.