Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Calcaterra: Expanded replay is not coming in 2013, but boy howdy, look out for 2014

And the next step down toward terminal NFL doom will be a chewing-his-nose Bill Cowher type doing pre-games. Hold tight, PBA….I might be coming back.

I guess the post office has finally delivered those letters Bud Selig had been asking for, because Jayson Stark reports that there will likely be expanded replay in 2014.

There had been talk of expanding replay to some degree in 2013 — to fair/foul calls, mostly — but Stark reports that people in the game are taking a go-big-or-go-home approach and would prefer to implement something more comprehensive. That will take waiting a year as opposed to rushing something into place this year.  Which, OK, even though I wish we had replay yesterday, I agree is probably the best move. Let’s do this thing right if we’re going to do it.

The only unsettling part is that, according to Stark, there is still some debate about what sort of system to implement and that — brace yourselves — some version of a challenge system is still on the table. Stark refers to a plan in which managers may get, say, two challenges a game for close calls.

Which I absolutely hate.  Either commit to getting all or as many calls correct as possible or don’t. Don’t make some game out of it where — sorry, Cholly! — you just lost a big game because you foolishly wasted your challenges on clear umpire mistakes in the first couple of innings and now you’re stuck with a clear umpire mistake in the eighth!

Repoz Posted: January 17, 2013 at 04:47 PM | 17 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: replay

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: January 17, 2013 at 05:08 PM (#4349364)
I just submitted Stark's piece a few minutes ago and I was a bit more positive about it than Craig is. To me it read like MLB being smart about how they did this. I too hate the idea of a challenge system (hell, I don't really like replay but it's inevitable) but I think the fact that MLB is taking their time rather than rushing into is a good sign. It would be very easy for MLB to simply say "we're doing it like the NFL" and get a lot of good publicity but the fact that they are willing to wait a year in the interest of getting it right gives me optimism that they will in fact get it right.
   2. Voros McCracken of Pinkus Posted: January 17, 2013 at 05:22 PM (#4349380)
Word is the official name for it will be: "The Replay Automatic Call Help System Enforcement Law." I can't hardly wait.
   3. Ron J2 Posted: January 17, 2013 at 05:29 PM (#4349389)
Drop the "System" and you've got a working acronym. I propose we call it "Rachel" anyhow.
   4. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 17, 2013 at 05:30 PM (#4349391)
Drop the "System" and you've got a working acronym. I propose we call it "Rachel" anyhow.
I think there's a working acronym with the "System," but you have to include "The"
   5. Pat Rapper's Delight Posted: January 17, 2013 at 05:31 PM (#4349392)
Contrary to [3], I see what you did there, Voros.
   6. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 17, 2013 at 05:32 PM (#4349393)
I don't like this idea, but if they do it, I hope its a better system than pulling a red flag out of a sock.
   7. JJ1986 Posted: January 17, 2013 at 05:35 PM (#4349395)
This sounds like a really good thing:

MLB is gravitating toward one of two options: (A) adding a fifth umpire to every crew and having the extra umpire review calls in each ballpark, or (B) assigning an extra umpiring "crew" to monitor calls from a central location
   8. Moloka'i Three-Finger Brown (Declino DeShields) Posted: January 17, 2013 at 05:58 PM (#4349411)
Contrary to [3], I see what you did there, Voros.

I laughed too.
   9. Ron J2 Posted: January 17, 2013 at 06:07 PM (#4349420)
#7 Indeed. A second look convinces me. Well done Voros. Keith Laumer would be proud.

Pity I was slow (I just automatically drop the when looking at possible acronyms)
   10. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: January 17, 2013 at 06:13 PM (#4349428)
I just automatically drop the when looking at possible acronyms

So you've never played TEGWAR?
   11. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: January 17, 2013 at 06:17 PM (#4349430)
I did the same thing as Ron. Nice work by Voros though.

I look forward to T-Mobile providing some additional cell phones for the calls to the league office.
   12. Bob Tufts Posted: January 17, 2013 at 06:27 PM (#4349438)
"This red flag appeal is brought to you by Red Bull".
   13. AndrewJ Posted: January 17, 2013 at 07:28 PM (#4349479)
I'm not hung up about replay, but MLB first implemented it in mid-season -- either start it on Opening Day or not at all.
   14. Jim (jimmuscomp) Posted: January 17, 2013 at 07:50 PM (#4349491)
Ha!!!! I just - after 2 solid minutes - got it Voros. Brilliant!!!
   15. Voros McCracken of Pinkus Posted: January 17, 2013 at 07:59 PM (#4349504)
"Tying run at second two out, Palmeiro over the head of Jenks, Uribe charges, throws, OUT! And the White--"

"The ruling on the previous play is under review."

I wish I could make a mash up video of this, but MLB makes that very difficult. My very least favorite part of football is the replays. So of course MLB will have to copy the system verbatim.
   16. zack Posted: January 18, 2013 at 09:37 AM (#4349705)
MLB is gravitating toward one of two options: (A) adding a fifth umpire to every crew and having the extra umpire review calls in each ballpark, or (B) assigning an extra umpiring "crew" to monitor calls from a central location

I like B. The "war room" style is how hockey does it and hockey replay is done very well. Well except for that part where they can only replay during a stoppage, so sometimes 5 minutes of gameplay can be invalidated after it has already been played.
   17. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: January 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM (#4349811)
My very least favorite part of football is the replays. So of course MLB will have to copy the system verbatim.

I'm a periodic football watcher (mainly playoffs), but it seems like there are replays all the damn time now.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robinred
for his generous support.