Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Cardboard appreciation: 1976 Topps Mickey Scott

Remembering Mickey Scott...

Scott continued to live in Binghamton after his career. He opened a bar, called “Mickey’s Mound,” which I remember driving by when I was a teenager, having no idea that it was Mickey SCOTT’s Mound. I wonder how the conversation would have went if I asked my folks if we could just pop into a bar to see if a former major leaguer was there. (Mickey’s Mound is now The Brass Lantern Tavern).

Scott pitched for a Yankees farm team, the Binghamton Triplets, during the 1960s, and kept his connections to the Yankees after his career, working in various capacities. Yankees manager Billy Martin often frequented Scott’s bar.

But on Sunday, Scott went out to rake leaves. He never returned. His lifeless body was found slumped over outside of his home in Binghamton. Relatives believe he suffered a heart attack or stroke. Mickey Scott was 64.

In this article, Scott’s sister calls her brother a “super, super guy” and “fun-loving.” “Mickey was a hell-raiser, but everyone had good things to say about him,” she said.

Hell-raiser indeed. His card sure raised hell with me in that basement in 1976.

Repoz Posted: November 03, 2011 at 11:51 PM | 4 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: angels, expos, history, obituaries, orioles

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. AndrewJ Posted: November 04, 2011 at 12:36 AM (#3986173)
Although New York has created more MLBers than any state other than California and Pennsylvania, I'd like to see how many of those New Yorkers came from upstate New York, where the population isn't nearly as fierce (but the weather is) as it is in the greater NYC area.

Well, Jim Johnson of the Orioles is from Johnson City and Johnny Logan of the late-1950s Milwaukee Braves is from Endicott, which along with Binghamton make up the "Triple Cities" region of NY's Southern Tier. A 19th century player named Dan Casey (who was erroneously thought to have inspired "Casey at the Bat"), "Wild Bill" Hallahan from the 1930s Cardinals, 1960s Mets pitcher Rob Gardner and Scott Coolbaugh and his late brother Mike came from Binghamton. Other than that...
   2. Buzzards Bay Posted: November 04, 2011 at 02:46 AM (#3986220)
reminded of how beautiful Welker's YAZMOBILE trek.. is
   3. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: November 04, 2011 at 03:17 AM (#3986236)
As God is my witness, I thought this was about Mike Scott, who I believe was called Mickey in his Mets days.
   4. Benji Posted: November 05, 2011 at 08:26 AM (#3986922)
Casper Wells from Schenectady, Tim Stauffer from Saratoga, Brendon Harris from Queensbury to name a few. And Johnny Podres, from way up north, who my grandfather signed to his first Brooklyn contract. He also signed Karl Spooner who had maybe the best first two starts in baseball history.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.