Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

#CARDCORNER: 1975 TOPPS CÉSAR CEDEÑO

Cedeño played so well, displaying a rare combination of speed, range in the outfield and sheer power, that some Houston writers began to refer to the Astrodome as “César’s Palace.” Cedeño’s all-around excellence – at bat, on the bases, and in center field – evoked comparisons to another one of the game’s legends, but not Clemente. Now the talk involved Willie Mays. Such comparisons to Mays became inevitable because of the identity of Cedeño’s new manager, the venerable Leo Durocher, who had been hired late in 1972.

Cedeño reminded Durocher of Mays, a player whom “Leo the Lip” knew all about, having managed him with the New York Giants for the first half of the 1950s. Durocher loved Mays, whom he regarded as one of his favorite players. He was willing to put Cedeño in the same category. “If I ever saw another Willie Mays, it’s Cedeño,” Durocher told Ed Rumill of the Christian Science Monitor. “Of course, Willie has done it much longer. But there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that Cedeño is going to do it, too… Willie had power in everything – his arm, his bat, his speed; so does this young man.”

Fiore Gino Posted: October 25, 2017 at 11:11 AM | 3 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: astros, cards

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Styles P. Deadball Posted: October 26, 2017 at 09:24 AM (#5562753)
Fun article. I started watching baseball in the late seventies and I remember reading baseball books that my dad had which had been published a few years earlier (well, looking at the pictures mostly) and they all raved about Cedeno. Of course, I had no idea about the incident described in the article and always kind of wondered why he wasn't talked about on This Week In Baseball the way he was in the books from 1975. I knew he was still around, but by then, when people talked about the Astros, they talked about JR Richard.

Meh. I was 7. If you had asked me who the Astros best hitter was, I undoubtedly would have said Terry Puhl, because I think he hit about .900 against the Cubs.
   2. Fiore Gino Posted: October 26, 2017 at 04:08 PM (#5563174)
Cedeno, along with Jose Cruz & Jimmy Wynn had the misfortune of playing their prime years in the cavernous Astrodome. Cedeno & Wynn also had it even worse since their primes were during a pitcher friendly era as well
   3. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 26, 2017 at 09:19 PM (#5563281)
His two closest comps are Amos Otis and Felipe Alou, though his numbers are a bit better than both of them.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Ray (RDP)
for his generous support.