Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, October 01, 2018

Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (October 2018)

Over the past eight months EW has stalked [Jamie Lee] Curtis and the rest of the Halloween crew — though hopefully in a much less threatening manner than Michael Myers tracks Laurie Strode. The result is a story which includes interviews with Curtis, [David Gordon] Green, [Danny] McBride, [John] Carpenter, and Nick Castle, who once again makes an appearance as Myers in the new film, 40 years after playing the slasher icon in the original movie.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: October 01, 2018 at 09:32 AM | 732 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 8 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: October 15, 2018 at 09:27 AM (#5766583)
flop

Just signed up for AMC's A-List Stubs program ($19.95 per month, 3 movies a week, no restrictions).

I'm looking forward to making them regret it ...
   202. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 09:32 AM (#5766591)
Of potential interest to McCoy and his pit beef business plans:

The $50 Steak Sandwich Hollywood is Drooling Over

Still, it's the party-sized barbecue steak extravaganza--officially called the Serious Barbecue Sandwich--that has people slobbering like basset hounds. Lang spared neither braising time nor calories with this thing: He piles more than one pound of pit-cooked prime New York strip onto crunchy Texas toast and crams it with pickles, sweet onions, and horseradish.

The chef is Adam Perry Lang, who rose to prominence in NYC as the chef of a tiny steakhouse that was improbably located within a Times Square strip club. I recommend his book grilling book Charred & Scruffed, which recommends unusual techniques, such as flaying your steak with a cheese grater in order to increase the surface area.
   203. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 15, 2018 at 09:37 AM (#5766596)
I'm looking forward to making them regret it ...

The only way* they could possibly regret it is if you crowd out someone who wanted to buy a ticket and couldn't because of your presence.

Their model is very different than movie pass, because they own the theaters and are already showing the movies. Movie Pass had a cost every time a subscriber went to a movie, because they had to pay the theater. AMC doesn't pay anyone else and most of their costs are fixed, you occupying a seat doesn't cost them anything but the opportunity cost of ... well selling that seat to someone else.

* Almost. If you would have paid for more movies than the cost of your subscription, and now pay them less in total than you did before, then it is costing them money - well assuming your increased concessions (if there are any) don't make up the difference.
   204. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: October 15, 2018 at 09:53 AM (#5766615)
* Almost. If you would have paid for more movies than the cost of your subscription, and now pay them less in total than you did before, then it is costing them money - well assuming your increased concessions (if there are any) don't make up the difference.

Ding!

1-2 movies per month + concessions right now.

So $20, for a potential 12-15 movies per month, assuming concession discipline, is a flat win for me.
   205. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5766624)
So $20, for a potential 12-15 movies per month, assuming concession discipline, is a flat win for me.

That's a lot of movies! Are there that many out in theaters that you really want to see?
   206. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:04 AM (#5766628)
I mean, just looking at the huge AMC theater in NYC, I'm seeing maybe 3 movies I'd want to watch, a couple more if I add things my kids would watch.
   207. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:07 AM (#5766632)
That's a lot of movies! Are there that many out in theaters that you really want to see?

I did say potential!

:)

More likely it'll be half of that or so, though it is heading towards awards season release times, so I'm looking forward to trying to catch everything I can this year.
   208. McCoy Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:09 AM (#5766636)
There has been a dearth of films over the last 4 months.
   209. BDC Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:13 AM (#5766641)
There has been a dearth of films over the last 4 months

I'm glad that wasn't just my impression. Every few weeks I think, hey, I'd really like to go to a movie, and there's been nothing remotely interesting.
   210. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:18 AM (#5766646)
We're in the soft part of the calendar, between Summer Blockbuster and Oscar Buzz.
   211. McCoy Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:21 AM (#5766648)
I think the last film I saw at the theater was mission impossible and that might have been the only film we saw at the theater over the last 6 months and then there has been no new film on demand that I have had a desire to spend money on.
   212. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:22 AM (#5766649)
I was checking out which movies are playing at the AMC tonight and I found this one

Dummycrats
Featuring Diamond and Silk

As President Trump continues to drain the swamp, social media stars Diamond & Silk are on a mission to expose what’s left of it. Americans cannot trust the mainstream media to report about the Democrats Dummycrats. If the media won’t report the truth…Diamond & Silk will.

Dummycrats documents the duo’s journey across America to reveal the hypocrisy spewed by progressive, big government loving politicians on the left. With their boots on the ground, Diamond & Silk scour California in the search of Maxine Waters and Nancy Pelosi. Unable to find the answers the American people need, the ladies travel to D.C. Meanwhile, they send Kyle Olson to El Paso to uncover the dangers that come with open borders to reveal how the Democrats put the interests of lawbreakers above those of American citizens.

With laughs, tears and anger, Dummycrats takes you on a journey for truth, stepping on the political antics of the left to get answers that the American people deserve -- as only Diamond & Silk can!

It also includes a live Q&A session.

I think I’m gonna go. There’s no way anything else could top this experience.
   213. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:36 AM (#5766660)
I mean, just looking at the huge AMC theater in NYC, I'm seeing maybe 3 movies I'd want to watch, a couple more if I add things my kids would watch.

I've got a AMC 5, 20 and 30 within 15 miles of me. There's probably 30+ distinct movies I can go see right now.

Hmmmm, let me try an exercise and grade them out:

Really want to see:
First Man (IMAX) ((Basically break even on the subscription right there))
Free Solo

Sure, maybe ...
The Hate U Give
Bad Times at the El Royale
Colette
Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer 2
A Star Is Born

Hey, at this point it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Venom
Smallfoot

That's all at the AMC 30 near (15 miles) me.

Obviously, if you've got kids, both content and time considerations are wildly different between us.

Right now, I've totally got the time to pick a day and plan out a day long 3 movie crawl once a week.
   214. McCoy Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5766667)
I’d see bad times but I’m not going to the theater to see it. My wife wants to see the Redford movie when it comes out. I want to see it too but I don’t need to go to the theater to see it.
   215. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5766668)
Ding!

1-2 movies per month + concessions right now.

It can be a win for both sides. It doesn't sound like they are losing out on any real revenue by you signing up for their service. It is not like it costs more for them for a full seat versus and empty one.
   216. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 11:03 AM (#5766698)
Free Solo is the one I'm definitely going to see.
   217. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 15, 2018 at 12:09 PM (#5766773)
Every few weeks I think, hey, I'd really like to go to a movie, and there's been nothing remotely interesting.

That's been like the last 15 years for me.
   218. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 15, 2018 at 12:22 PM (#5766789)
Oh I see, but when I say all Hollywood movies suck I’m just being a contrarian!!!!

grumble grumble grumble
   219. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5766820)
snapper's not being a contrarian, he's being a grump.
   220. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: October 15, 2018 at 12:55 PM (#5766832)
Oh I see, but when I say all Hollywood movies suck I’m just being a contrarian!!!!

grumble grumble grumble
It's more the "Speed Racer is the bestest goodest movie EVAR!!!" thing.
   221. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5766901)
Surprised the $50 sandwich didn't generate any commentary.
   222. BDC Posted: October 15, 2018 at 01:51 PM (#5766914)
Surprised the $50 sandwich didn't generate any commentary

Maybe $50 sandwiches aren't what they used to be … Quite a few Rangers' Ballpark sandwiches now go for $27.50, and I bet they aren't nearly half as good as the one you linked to :)
   223. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 15, 2018 at 01:56 PM (#5766921)
Every few weeks I think, hey, I'd really like to go to a movie, and there's been nothing remotely interesting.

That's been like the last 15 years for me.

I see the Passion of the Christ came out in 2004, so he's only off by a smidgen.

224. jmurph Posted: October 15, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5766932)
Surprised the $50 sandwich didn't generate any commentary.

Hey, if you think so little of yourself that you're only spending a mere $50 on your sandwiches, that's fine, we're not here to judge.
   225. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 15, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5766936)
If Snapper has been holding out for another movie about the New Testamenf, the wait is over, Smallfoot is in theaters now.
   226. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: October 15, 2018 at 02:06 PM (#5766939)
Weirdly enough, they are filming the Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie right outside my building right now. They've moved in a bunch of vintage--70's--looking cars so I guess it's set in the 70's. In fact, the boss is letting us go home because they're going to start closing down the streets. I guess I'll have to watch it when it comes out.
   227. McCoy Posted: October 15, 2018 at 02:19 PM (#5766953)
Didn't see the link until now but the picture of the sandwich and the description makes it sound and look like the sandwich is a ripoff. $6 chili dogs are fine though "hand cut prime chuck" for chili is absolutely pointless and does nothing for the chili nor the dog. The house cured smokeed beef sandwich looks like a good deal though I personally wouldn't want all that pickled stuff with it.
   228. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 15, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5767066)
If Snapper has been holding out for another movie about the New Testamenf, the wait is over, Smallfoot is in theaters now.

Nope. Don't watch religious movies. I guess I saw Ben Hur, but none of the modern ones, not even the Gibson one.

Our movie viewing is pretty much Film Noir, thrillers and detective stories across all eras, and British period pieces.

The Endeavour series is top-notch by the way. Technically TV, but each episode is effectively a 1.5 hour movie.
   229. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5767096)
"hand cut prime chuck" for chili is absolutely pointless and does nothing for the chili

Well, it means it's chunks instead of ground beef. That's definitely a different experience. Prime of course adds fat, not that beef chuck needs more fat.
   230. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 15, 2018 at 05:09 PM (#5767105)
228- Well shucks.

But I don’t care, I’ll pretend your response was other than what it was and use this as another opportunity to encourage people to see 2007’s Secret Sunshine, which is my single favorite movie ever made about the difficulty of Christianity, how, as Lewis put it, “it will take the whole of you.”
   231. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 15, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5767110)
228- Well shucks.

Sorry to disappoint. I did attend the TLM last weekend when I was in Maine, does that make up for it? :-)
   232. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 15, 2018 at 06:42 PM (#5767142)
HBO's Watchmen series unveils enigmatic first look

I am not exactly excited for the new series. I loved Watchmen, and still ...
   233. McCoy Posted: October 15, 2018 at 06:49 PM (#5767144)
Read it awhile back. Wasn’t a fan
   234. McCoy Posted: October 15, 2018 at 07:01 PM (#5767148)
Awhile back while I was watching second season or so of The Sopranos I saw a mention of burrata and how Artie Bucco was trying something new and that he had it flown in from Italy. The ladies (Carm and her mob wives friends) didn't care for it. The show was shot in 2000 early 2001 and I got a kick out how far ahead of his time Artie was. Though his burrata looked like an aged provolone so I'm not sure if they were actually using the real thing and I'm guessing they pulled a Jon Favreau/Garafolo/Christopher thing where they asked some Italian chef for the name of a fancy cheese to add authenticity to their shot. How very ironic.
   235. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 07:46 PM (#5767158)
I watched some Wile E. Coyote & Roadrunner cartoons with my kids tonight. If you had asked me earlier, I would have told you that Acme Corporation products were of shamefully low quality, and that Coyote's continued faith in the corp. was insanity. But upon adult viewing, it's clear that the products are often not just effective but often actually miraculous. User error is typically to blame. Oftentimes the rules of physics conspire against the coyote, which I don't think can be blamed on Acme. And sometimes the Roadrunner can simply outperform even a high quality Acme product.
   236. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 07:50 PM (#5767161)
Is a TLM a Traditional Latin Mass? I'm a profoundly lapsed Catholic but I'd consider attending one of those just as an interesting cultural event.
   237. Tin Angel Posted: October 15, 2018 at 08:03 PM (#5767167)
Anyone else into the author Willy Vlautin? Highly recommend his novels and the film adaptations of them.
   238. Lassus Posted: October 15, 2018 at 08:29 PM (#5767181)
Is a TLM a Traditional Latin Mass?

Yes. Also known as the Tridentine mass.

I'm a profoundly lapsed Catholic but I'd consider attending one of those just as an interesting cultural event.

They sometimes have good polyphony, depending. Other than that, I dunno. The chant-only masses bore me, but that's subjective.

I used to attend full masses if the music was something I wanted to hear, but I can't really even bear that anymore.
   239. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 15, 2018 at 08:30 PM (#5767182)
Is a TLM a Traditional Latin Mass? I'm a profoundly lapsed Catholic but I'd consider attending one of those just as an interesting cultural event.

Yes. Apparently they have a pretty active Latin Mass community in Portland. TLM at the Cathedral every Sunday at noon. Also 8:30 AM at some Basilica, but I don't know where that is.

If you want the cultural experience find out when they're having a sung Mass or a High Mass. You'll find the low Mass very quiet, and without most of the "smells and bells".

I'm not a huge fan of the low Mass, but a well done sung Mass with Schola, or a High Mass is something else. Especially for a funeral.
   240. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 15, 2018 at 08:33 PM (#5767185)
They sometimes have good polyphony. Other than that, I dunno.

Nowadays mostly Gregorian Chant rather than polyphony, if they have a Schola.
   241. Morty Causa Posted: October 15, 2018 at 08:41 PM (#5767191)
PG Wodehouse to be accorded Westminister Abbey tribute.

As a follow-up on the previous thread. Quite a mainstream honor. Wodehouse's popularity, certainly his literary prestige, has grown and burgeoned since his death, some 43 years ago. Most of his books are still in print and many seem as fresh as when they first came out. Those that aren't are delightfully quaint. Compilations and compendiums come out of the mixer regularly, and pastiches seem to be a wave to the future (although why anyone would read an imitation when he has a smorgasbord of some 100 delicacies to select from and delight in).
   242. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 08:45 PM (#5767194)
burgeoned

Noice.

pastiches seem to be a wave to the future (although why anyone would read an imitation when he has a smorgasbord of some 100 delicacies to select from and delight in)

When I was searching for Joy in the Morning on Amazon I came across a series with at least five volumes of steampunkified Sherlock Holmes / Jeeves & Wooster mashup. I wonder how good a living you can make writing stuff like that. I mean, I'm as primed as anyone to read about a Jeeves-Holmes character commandeering an airship to chase evil genius Aunt Agatha Moriarty or whatever, but I have a tough time imagining stomaching multiple volumes of it.
   243. Lassus Posted: October 15, 2018 at 08:45 PM (#5767195)
Nowadays mostly Gregorian Chant rather than polyphony, if they have a Schola.

Easier, fewer singers needed, fewer people to pay.
   244. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: October 15, 2018 at 08:45 PM (#5767196)
I watched some Wile E. Coyote & Roadrunner cartoons with my kids tonight. If you had asked me earlier, I would have told you that Acme Corporation products were of shamefully low quality, and that Coyote's continued faith in the corp. was insanity. But upon adult viewing, it's clear that the products are often not just effective but often actually miraculous. User error is typically to blame. Oftentimes the rules of physics conspire against the coyote, which I don't think can be blamed on Acme. And sometimes the Roadrunner can simply outperform even a high quality Acme product.
Ah, you must have been watching the re-edits from after Warner Bros. bought a controlling interest in Acme Corp.
   245. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: October 15, 2018 at 08:54 PM (#5767198)
For devotees of the Acme Jet-Propelled Unicycle and the Acme Instant Icicle Maker ("Freeze Your Friends -- Loads of Laughs"), a must-read is "Ian Frazier's "Coyote v. Acme" (PDF)
   246. Morty Causa Posted: October 15, 2018 at 09:05 PM (#5767207)
When I was searching for Joy in the Morning on Amazon I came across a series with at least five volumes of steampunkified Sherlock Holmes / Jeeves & Wooster mashup. I wonder how good a living you can make writing stuff like that. I mean, I'm as primed as anyone to read about a Jeeves-Holmes character commandeering an airship to chase evil genius Aunt Agatha Moriarty or whatever, but I have a tough time imagining stomaching multiple volumes of it.

I certainly have no interest in that, nor have I read the Sebastian Faulk homage of a few years ago, Jeeves and the Wedding Bells. And I'm pretty sure I won't read the upcoming one referred to in the article.
   247. Morty Causa Posted: October 15, 2018 at 09:16 PM (#5767219)

Yeah, that is a must read. That initially came out in The New Yorker, when the TNYer was still top shelf. I remember saving it. Expertly done.

And here's the nymph's reply to the shepherd (kind of similar in tone to PF's witty summary above):

Reply to Coyote v. Acme
   248. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 09:25 PM (#5767225)
One of the products he purchases is a quiver of lightning bolts. The lightning bolts are not only extraordinarily fast and explosive but they are heat-seeking. This is a product of epochal, sliced bread potential, and could change warfare forever. Had the Coyote chosen any quarry other than the Roadrunner, the bolt would have met its mark. The fact that the bolt eventually pursued Wile E. is due to the Roadrunner's unbelievable speed and singular genius.
   249. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 15, 2018 at 09:58 PM (#5767253)
I’vs decided to see FIRST MAN instead tonight, as it’s gotten some ecstatic reviews from some of my favorite Letterboxd follows: the guys who make and adore abstract experimental films. I’ve never seen them all so uniformly cheerlead for a Hollywood movie like this before.
   250. Max Parkinson Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:11 PM (#5767270)
On a completely different topic, I’m in LA (Pasadena) for work for a couple of days - have just found out that Spiritualized are playing their only North American show tomorrow night at the Orpheum - scored a front row ticket. If any of y’all are going, shoot me a note. First round is on me.
   251. Morty Causa Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:21 PM (#5767286)
It's been a while since I read it, but I seem to remember that Mark Twain in Roughing It has a nice bit about the character of coyotes that is fairly Looney Tuneish. Also, I think coyotes are much faster runners than roadrunners, which is just one more nail in Wile E.'s loser coffin. Wile E., then, is not only slow for a coyote, but he also seems old and decrepit. An imminent Darwinian closure haunts his ever-waking hours.
   252. PreservedFish Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:31 PM (#5767302)
I have to disagree, if there's one thing we know about Wile E. it's that he's the most durable of animals.
   253. Morty Causa Posted: October 15, 2018 at 10:35 PM (#5767309)
So far, he's a survivor, yes. Barely, and not through any survival skills he possesses.
   254. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 16, 2018 at 01:11 AM (#5767387)
Just got back from “First Man.”

The acclaim is warranted. This movie ffffucks.

I assumed from the pitch and trailers that it was just gonna be Gravity + Oscar-y biopic. But good God is it not. It’s, um....Stan Brakhage + Cassavetes maybe?
   255. BDC Posted: October 16, 2018 at 07:38 AM (#5767404)
Just got back from “First Man.”

The acclaim is warranted

Does he say "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky"?
   256. PreservedFish Posted: October 16, 2018 at 08:01 AM (#5767406)
I assumed from the pitch and trailers that it was just gonna be Gravity + Oscar-y biopic. But good God is it not. It’s, um....Stan Brakhage + Cassavetes maybe?

Sounds great. I love it when a film combines blockbuster-level cinematography and effects with a lean, artistic story. I really loved Gravity, which was fairly lean, but I still would have cut the brief soupy interludes about her family back on Earth or whatever it was.
   257. Lassus Posted: October 16, 2018 at 08:52 AM (#5767430)
I'm not big on regular non-genre releases myself, but First Man looks very good.
   258. BDC Posted: October 16, 2018 at 09:22 AM (#5767456)
Pop fiction: I read three of Harold Adams' "Carl Wilcox" novels, private-detective stories set in Depression South Dakota. Adult though pretty soft-boiled, they are enjoyable mysteries.

I am now onto Catherine Aird's Calleshire novels. These are rural-England detective-inspector novels, also rather soft-boiled but fairly literate and a little quirky. They're full of recognizable fussy, boring English types but the characters seem real and well-developed, not just taken out of How to Write Vicarage Mysteries for Dummies.

Opera: I kept my slate clean of ever having actually seen Wagner by missing The Flying Dutchman in Dallas last weekend (travel, weather, work). But I have every hope of seeing Carmen next Sunday. Carmen is surely popular culture. It is probably the first opera anybody unfamiliar with opera should see, because it is full of great tunes and has a lurid and simple story. And it's easy enough to see, being (checks the Operabase leaderboards) the second-most-performed opera in the world, after La Traviata.
   259. PreservedFish Posted: October 16, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5767537)
snapper's comment had me wondering if there are any Holy Land detective series. It seems almost inevitable - there's a detective for every historical period, seemingly, every country, and even multiple series in which cats solve mysteries. Initial googling reveals none. Seems like a market opportunity. I'm imagining a principled Roman investigator in Jerusalem that, over the course of the many books, learns more and more about that charismatic Jewish preacher...
   260. Graham & the 15-win "ARod Vortex of suck" Posted: October 16, 2018 at 11:08 AM (#5767569)
Anyone else into the author Willy Vlautin? Highly recommend his novels and the film adaptations of them.

I haven't read any of his novels (though Don't Skip Out on Me is on my list). I'm definitely a fan of his now-defunct band, Richmond Fontaine. Their farewell album, You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing To Go Back To, was fantastic and easily among the best releases of 2016.
   261. Tin Angel Posted: October 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM (#5767577)
I haven't read any of his novels (though Don't Skip Out on Me is on my list).

Don't Skip Out on Me is my favorite. You'll like it even more if you are a boxing fan, though of course you don't have to be to enjoy it. Lean on Pete is a great film too.
   262. vortex of dissipation Posted: October 16, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5767611)
...fussy, boring English types...

Ooh, characters I can actually relate to! :-)
   263. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 16, 2018 at 01:09 PM (#5767700)
Just to clarify:

Here’s an example of Brakhage’s work.

The space scenes in First Man resemble *that* a helluva lot more than they resemble anything in Gravity.
   264. Hysterical & Useless Posted: October 16, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5767743)
We don't go to movies as often as we'd like (because we're lazy cheapskates?), but Thursday we're going to see the Coen Brothers The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. I think one or both of them are supposed to be there. Should be a fun evening.
   265. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 16, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5767748)
259- A Twitterer had a thread on Christian-themed art the other day I enjoyed

@LauraJeanTruman
Imagination is the most underrated spiritual discipline.

@LauraJeanTruman
A good, imagination-awakening story shows us how exciting and beautiful goodness and justice are.

A good story wakes us up and defeats the world’s narrative that badness is more “interesting.” That narrative is a lie. Badness is ugly. It’s boring. It’s repetitive.

@LauraJeanTruman
A good story is a revealer of truth- the truth that justice is wonderful & heroism is beautiful. They reveal that consuming, power, flashiness are smoke & mirrors.

When my imagination gets God-starved, or I’ve lost my way, I go back to good stories to remember what’s real.

@LauraJeanTruman
I guess this is where good art and the prophetic intersect - the revelation of truth, calling out what is true, naming and seeing what is true.

The idea of “prophetic imagination” matters because art w/out the prophetic is lying, & the prophetic without imagination is powerless
   266. PreservedFish Posted: October 16, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5767754)
Seems pretty superficial to me, Davo. Heroism and justice don't exist without "badness," and from major examples like Milton and Dante - artists that I'm sure were doing their damnedest to create imaginative and prophetic art, whatever that is - we've learned that evil is typically more interesting than good.
   267. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 16, 2018 at 02:17 PM (#5767776)
266- I’m just thinking of the more general idea of making art about spiritual concerns. I think because I was raised in a non-religious home I welcome a much wider variety of those type of stories (eg, controversial stuff like The Last Temptation of Christ and the like.)
   268. Lassus Posted: October 16, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5767779)
Speaking of all you god people, I'm currently in the midst of trying to book and schedule a traditional Catholic mass wedding gig for a sextet. The whole sung mass, hymns, propers, etc.

As usual, the idea that any conspiracy theory can ever work is generally discounted by attempting to get more then two people to agree to something. We only have 6 people, one guy only agreed to do something in 6 parts, which means there's no backup for any kind of STTTTB setting he seems set on doing if someone gets sick or falls in a hole. We're still negotiating with the couple on the fee and trying to convince them an organist isn't necessary. One guy wants to be able to back out if his family schedules a vacation at some point over the next five months. FFS.
   269. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 16, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5767798)
Speaking of all you god people, I'm currently in the midst of trying to book and schedule a traditional Catholic mass wedding gig for a sextet. The whole sung mass, hymns, propers, etc.

Where is the Mass going to be? I know a Schola in the Westchester, NY area that you could maybe reach out to for some backup, if it's not too, too far away.
   270. Lassus Posted: October 16, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5767814)
Far, far away from Westchester, but thank you. If it was anywhere near the city, singers would be a non-issue. It ain't.
   271. Morty Causa Posted: October 16, 2018 at 06:08 PM (#5768058)
Biblio is having a sale, lots of Wodehouse.

I know I'm coming across as a fanboy, but if anyone wants to try Wodehouse, there is a very good sale at Biblio. A quick browsing indicates that it has a ton of Wodehouse, all for $4 a book, no S&H. They've used books, but I've generally been satisfied with Bibio's product in the past.
   272. PreservedFish Posted: October 16, 2018 at 06:58 PM (#5768108)
Morty you just saved me about $1.25 on Joy in the Morning.
   273. BDC Posted: October 16, 2018 at 07:13 PM (#5768127)
Frank Sinatra came up in OTP and I reckoned he should be discussed over here. Whatever his politics, the guy was, IMO and many others', a great stylist. He made some bad recordings, but who didn't; when Sinatra took a song and treated the lyrics with absolute sincerity, as so often, he was wonderful. "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning," maybe overplayed but the best example of the method. That's all I wanted to say.
   274. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: October 16, 2018 at 07:15 PM (#5768129)
Sinatra is referenced about 50 times in the new A Star Is Born. FWIW.
   275. Morty Causa Posted: October 16, 2018 at 08:01 PM (#5768174)
Morty you just saved me about $1.25 on Joy in the Morning.

It's also known as "Jeeves" in the Morning in some editions.

Wikipedia has a wealth of entries on Wodehouse and his books and characters, including an all-encompassing bibliography, each book having a link to its separate entry. Someone or, more likely, some people have gone to great effort to do PGW right.

EDIT: Oh, and enjoy PF. JitM is simply perfect.
   276. Omineca Greg Posted: October 16, 2018 at 08:43 PM (#5768263)
I love Sinatra's records with Dorsey.

His Columbia work isn't terrible, but I don't think he'd be very well remembered if that's all he had done, or if they turned out to be the peak of his abilities.

His Capitol recordings are generally excellent. Good production values, and he inhabits the material thoroughly. There aren't too many pre-Rock 50s pop albums that are easily accessible to 2018 ears, IMO, but it's pretty easy to get into his 1954 through 1960 stuff, in my opinion.

With his Reprise albums (he founded the label in 1960), he immediately became the entertainer for which he's best known today. Ring-a-ding-ding, the Rat Pack, all that kind of thing. I can take or leave that persona...his best albums on Reprise (SSS!!!AM, S-BAHMF, SoMY, FAS&CAJ;, W) are still great, but his batting average is definitely lower.

I have a hard time being dismissive of his work; there's just too many great, great albums there. I suppose a non-believer could credit his supporting casts, and it's true his collaborators add a lot, but so what?
   277. Lassus Posted: October 16, 2018 at 08:47 PM (#5768269)
I feel a bit about Sinatra how I do about Jeter. As great as he was, I've seen enough, and there are others better.
   278. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 16, 2018 at 10:07 PM (#5768353)
As I said I am not a huge Sinatra fan, but Roger Ebert on Sinatra - FRANK SINATRA'S LEGEND LIVES ON IN FILMS

When the book of 20th century popular entertainment is written, Frank Sinatra will get a chapter as the best singer of his time. As an actor, he will be remembered for the good films, and for a distinctive screen persona as a guy who could win a heart with a song.

But he will not be remembered as one of the greatest movie stars of his time, maybe because he simply never cared enough to make it his business. What is remarkable is that he made more than 60 films, was often at the top of the box-office charts, won two Oscars (one the honorary Hersholt award) and was nominated for another, and had starring roles spanning five decades - even though during most of that time movie acting, for Sinatra, was basically a side line.
   279. PreservedFish Posted: October 16, 2018 at 10:18 PM (#5768360)
As great as he was, I've seen enough, and there are others better.

Like who?

I guess I would compare Sinatra to exact contemporaries such as Bennett, Torme, Darin, Martin, and I'm pretty sure that Sinatra is my favorite among them.

Admittedly I'm a dilettante in this area, although I do spend a decent amount of time listening to The Memories Station, the local standards/nostalgia station that is funded and DJ'd by a single eccentric.
   280. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: October 16, 2018 at 10:30 PM (#5768373)
Here's hoping this gets a US release eventually:

Armed with the full technical toolbox from his Lord of the Rings and Hobbit blockbusters, Peter Jackson has created a new kind of historical documentary with They Shall Not Grow Old. Commissioned by 14-18 NOW, the U.K. arts body set up to commemorate the centenary of World War I, Jackson's technically dazzling screen memorial world premieres today at London Film Festival and simultaneously in theaters across Britain. Copies are also being sent to every U.K. high school, where the film should have a healthy future as an educational aid. No U.S. release is confirmed as yet, but Jackson's name will clearly be a strong selling point.

Jackson and his team, including Weta digital VFX supervisor Wayne Stables, assembled They Shall Not Grow Old from more than 600 hours of footage supplied by Britain's Imperial War Museums plus a vast audio archive from the BBC. The filmmakers then painstakingly upgraded and colorized these century-old images into ravishingly detailed 3D, digitally tweaking frame rates and drawing on CGI modeling techniques to lend them a contemporary fly-on-the-wall immediacy. Professional lip readers were even employed to help match casual speech snippets to the talking heads onscreen, a discreet bit of fakery in service of a broader truth.

Telling the collective story of Britain's First World War fighting men using their own words, They Shall Not Grow Old plots a loose chronological arc from the outbreak of hostilities to the battlefields of Belgium to the inking of the 1918 Armistice. Jackson deploys a simple but inspired structural device to draw the viewer into these historically remote anecdotes. The opening footage is a scratchy monochrome montage framed within a small central rectangle, which gradually widens to fill the entire screen before transforming into the film's fully colorized 3D midsection. In the final act, he reverses this process, as the post-war footage recede into memory once more. An elegant, poetic touch.
   281. BDC Posted: October 16, 2018 at 10:33 PM (#5768379)
he will not be remembered as one of the greatest movie stars of his time, maybe because he simply never cared enough to make it his business

That sounds fair. Sinatra was a very good screen actor, a true leading man who could carry the central interest while character actors did showier things around him. The Manchurian Candidate, as Ebert says, is his best film and his best performance. Not that I've actually seen a high percentage of his films. As Ebert says, for the most part, after he'd become a big star, Sinatra stopped caring about his scripts, and a lot of his films aren't really cult items. I first saw him in one of the first pictures I ever saw in the theater, Von Ryan's Express, which I seem to remember was good, but I was six, what did I know. Soon thereafter he was making stuff like Dirty Dingus Magee and he was passé.
   282. Morty Causa Posted: October 16, 2018 at 11:08 PM (#5768415)
I thought Sinatra the straight dramatic actor was really good in The Man with the Golden Arm and The Devil at 4 0'Clock. I hate to say it, but I've never seen Some Came Running or Kings Go Forth. He was also good in Pal Joey and The Joker is Wild. He had talent and presence as an actor, but he was lazy. He liked to just skate. He hated doing more than one take of a scene.
   283. Morty Causa Posted: October 16, 2018 at 11:17 PM (#5768424)
As a singer, I always thought he did the type of stuff he did, big band/swing, better than anyone probably. He didn't have great range in the sort of songs he did and the style he did them in. Elvis, to compare signature singers of a respective type, did Rock and/or Roll and he did King Creole, Heartbreak Hotel, and the movie stuff. I don't see the Sinatra equivalent to Elvis's mastery of a range of material. JOLLY OLD would probably disagree. I think he considers Sinatra the best.
   284. The Run Fairy Posted: October 17, 2018 at 12:16 AM (#5768466)
I havne't seen much with Sinatra in it, but I really enjoyed his performance in the presidential assassination thriller Suddenly.
   285. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 17, 2018 at 07:53 AM (#5768700)
Angela Lansbury was freaking terrifying in the Manchurian Candidate. Good movie and Frank did a great job, but man Angela ... brrrr.
   286. Omineca Greg Posted: October 17, 2018 at 08:17 AM (#5768711)
Compared to Elvis, Sinatra did have a limited range, but I think Presley is the outlier there. Sinatra had different arrangers...he did swing, he did, I don't know, for lack of a better term, "art song".

If there was a failing there, it was his inability to offer up an alternative to rock music. He never seemed to understand what was good about it, his rock cover songs are unintentionally humorous. If he were around now, he would have been able to find worthy conspirators to bring him to a more modern sound, but in the 60s and 70s, it just didn't work out for him.
   287. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 17, 2018 at 08:24 AM (#5768713)
As great as he was, I've seen enough, and there are others better.

Like who?

Al Jolson and Bing Crosby.
   288. McCoy Posted: October 17, 2018 at 08:35 AM (#5768716)
re 280

Coming soon to a torrent near you. . .
   289. Lassus Posted: October 17, 2018 at 08:43 AM (#5768720)
Like who?

Nat King Cole
Little Jimmy Scott
Fred Astaire (astonishingly underrated)
Tony Bennett
Milt Grayson
   290. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 17, 2018 at 08:49 AM (#5768724)
Cab Calloway
Eddie Cantor
Jimmy Rodgers
Fats Waller
Louie Prima
   291. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: October 17, 2018 at 08:52 AM (#5768725)
Ty Cobb wasn't as great as Babe Ruth, what a loser. :)
   292. PreservedFish Posted: October 17, 2018 at 08:55 AM (#5768726)
I played this groovy Mel Torme tune on my short-lived community radio show, in between songs by "the Ethiopian James Brown" and South Korea's biggest psychedelic star. I thought it worked pretty well, and it's even possible that as many as two or three people tuned in to hear it. Possibly lobsterman's widows that couldn't be bothered to stand up and change the radio station.
   293. BDC Posted: October 17, 2018 at 09:06 AM (#5768730)
Angela Lansbury

Just turned 93 and appears in Mary Poppins Returns, a Disney Christmas-season movie this year.
   294. Lassus Posted: October 17, 2018 at 09:10 AM (#5768732)
re: 290, I'm also not judging performance, more pure vocal production. You can't knock Calloway as an all-world performer, but as a singer he was nothing special.
   295. BDC Posted: October 17, 2018 at 09:14 AM (#5768735)
inability to offer up an alternative to rock music. He never seemed to understand what was good about it, his rock cover songs are unintentionally humorous

Yes. Sinatra realized that George Harrison's "Something" was a fine song, but my gosh his cover is weak. It's like one of those parody Vegas-lounge versions of a pop song.

Compare Ella Fitzgerald's "Can't Buy Me Love": it's essentially a swing song anyway, and she just went with it in its own style and made it a very appealing part of her catalog.
   296. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 17, 2018 at 09:34 AM (#5768751)
re: 290, I'm also not judging performance, more pure vocal production. You can't knock Calloway as an all-world performer, but as a singer he was nothing special.

Then it's Enrico Caruso and everyone else has to pound sand.
   297. Morty Causa Posted: October 17, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5768776)
In comparing whose best among similar singers, surprised no one has brought up...Jo Stafford. Youtube has various performers of that generation doing Stardust. Hers I think is the best. Just perfect pacing and phrasing. She soars, plateaus, then soars to another level. All without the begging little idiosyncrasies most singers developed.

Yeah, Sinatra should have done more of the contemporary stuff of the '60s-'70s younger songwriters, like Harrison or Lennon-McCartney. In that last interview, Lennon in reference to one of his songs says it would be perfect for Sinatra. Then he adds, "But don't ask me to produce it." Can you imagine Lennon and Sinatra in the same studio? It would be total annihilation. A nuclear wasteland.
   298. Morty Causa Posted: October 17, 2018 at 10:01 AM (#5768779)
And what's the matter with Enrico Pallazzo?
   299. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: October 17, 2018 at 10:05 AM (#5768782)
And what's the matter with Enrico Pallazzo?

He was busy saving the Queen!
   300. Lassus Posted: October 17, 2018 at 10:08 AM (#5768788)
Then it's Enrico Caruso and everyone else has to pound sand.

Please. Caruso could maybe carry Bjorling's luggage onto the train. And I like the modern sounds of Rolfe-Johnson and Schreier better anyhow. It's basically Quasthoff and everyone else is tied for third.
Page 3 of 8 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.