Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 30, 2017

CENTRAL PARK - JULY 1, 2017 10 AM - BBTF ANNUAL SOFTBALL EXTRAVAGANZA

I think this year we should make t-shirts.

The Central Park field for 10 AM on July 1st has been submitted for approval to the Parks Department, but not yet assigned.  We’re waiting to hear back.  It’s never been a problem as yet, so hopefully it won’t be this year as well. UPDATE: 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM, Great Lawn, Field #2. -vi

Note: This is the same weekend as the massive SABR extravaganza in NYC.  I would expect all connections and all favors to be called in to get some retired MLB players or broadcast and basement-dwelling notables to come by.  Rob Neyer, Tommy Lasorda, Benny Agbayani, Robothal, Pete Rose, no target too high.  Or too low.  So maybe Calcaterra could make it.

Let’s hear it, who’s coming?

Lassus Posted: March 30, 2017 at 09:49 AM | 419 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: sabr

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5
   401. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 04, 2017 at 02:13 PM (#5487568)
Turn page please.
   402. Bote Man Posted: July 04, 2017 at 07:26 PM (#5487680)
New Yorkers have higher standards than that, thank you very much.

Not I ;-)

But seriously, folks, I am safe and sound back in sunny, hot, humid South Florida where we are gathering the crowd for our not-so-little in-house fireworks presentation come sunset. I have stocked up with the necessary imbibements and am already sampling.

On the photos, I'm shocked, SHOCKED that there's a photo of me batting, yet the camera lens is still intact. Must've been the last shot he took.

In the words of Dock Ellis* catomi03 is pretty spry for a big guy. He snared my hot shot down the LF line right out of thin air to rob me of extra bases, so d@mn you, sir! D@man you to h3ll!!

catomi02 can PLAY! Please return in the future.

* no longer on acid apparently
   403. catomi01 Posted: July 04, 2017 at 08:27 PM (#5487703)
Catomi02 makes everyone better just by being on the field. Both of the catomi guests enjoyed themselves and should be back next year. In fact I was already yelled at by a potential catomi04 for not inviting her, so it looks like we tentatively have 4 in for next year already.
   404. Bote Man Posted: July 04, 2017 at 09:10 PM (#5487711)
I regret to inform you that I was forced to wash the hand that shook Sean Foreman's hand. Those responsible have been sacked.
   405. catomi01 Posted: July 04, 2017 at 09:19 PM (#5487715)
Speaking of Sean, when these games make it onto bbef, I would like to be credited with the wn in game 1 and both a win and a loss in game 2.
   406. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 05, 2017 at 11:12 AM (#5487889)
Thankfully, apparently nobody has a picture of my famous face-plant after my first softball contact in roughly 20 years...

Full disclosure: I got a lot of mileage out of the story this weekend, so that's a win for me! And for the rest of the day, everywhere I scratched, dirt came out.
   407. Bote Man Posted: July 05, 2017 at 11:42 AM (#5487915)
Maybe it's time to un-pin this thread from the main Newsstand page? I've got it bookmarked so I can check it periodically.
   408. villageidiom Posted: July 05, 2017 at 01:11 PM (#5487985)
Maybe it's time to un-pin this thread from the main Newsstand page? I've got it bookmarked so I can check it periodically.
Unpinned.
   409. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: July 05, 2017 at 05:22 PM (#5488185)

Just coming back to the thread now, but I had a blast, everyone. Sean, while I arrived late and don't think I ever formally introduced myself, we were playing next to each other in the outfield for much of the day.

The wife's (not girlfriend's) flight was delayed on the tarmac for a while so I probably could have stayed until the end, too. Once I found out she was delayed I attempted to head back to the park for a run and ended up getting caught in that rainstorm with 3 miles to go.

Anyway, thanks to those who organized and brought the equipment. I vow to find my glove or acquire a new one by this time next year, and maybe take some practice swings at Chelsea Piers in the interim. I have a feeling the game is even more fun when you can hit the ball out of the infield :-)
   410. Karl from NY Posted: July 05, 2017 at 06:11 PM (#5488208)
Yeah, I missed the introductions too and didn't even know Sean was one of the players until reading the thread afterwards.

I noticed a somewhat lower energy level than in past years. Maybe it was the heat and humidity, but I also want to say because we were missing some of the younger and more sprightly folks, like Ray, Lassus, Rickey!. I was trying to keep the energy level up in shagging balls during the intermission, to get folks back on the field for game two.
   411. villageidiom Posted: July 05, 2017 at 09:56 PM (#5488302)
I, for one, was exhausted after game 1. I'm guessing it was a combination of heat, humidity, and constantly circling the bases. Not every team experienced all of those. Maybe next year I'll play for a losing team, y'know, just so I can find out what that's like.

We had a fair number of first-timers this year, and a huge part of the old guard (Shooty, JE, Rickey, Ray, McCoy, Lassus, snapper, Obo) was notably absent. Let's fix that for next year, but get the first-timers back, and get some new blood.
   412. Howie Menckel Posted: July 05, 2017 at 10:27 PM (#5488318)
I, for one, was exhausted after game 1. I'm guessing it was a combination of heat, humidity, and constantly circling the bases. Not every team experienced all of those. Maybe next year I'll play for a losing team, y'know, just so I can find out what that's like.

TRASH TALK!
:)

it was undeniably true that the losing team fielded under brutal sun in most innings while "the others" seemingly got clouded handed to them every half-inning. so a 10-run inning might have been only half that - ok I got nothing, other than the first brutally/randomly picked sides. that was not his experience!

still, villiageidiom's post makes me feel like part of a salvage crew this year - when I sank the ship in the field, but hopefully got the crew back to sea level in the post-game.

my analysis of brutal date this year, unexpectedly low arrival of newcomers this year, and likely better date next year and sentimentality (?) of the icons who missed for a couple of years has me 538.com-level 95 pct forecasting a best-ever Wins Above BBTfer player level next summer. pin it if you like, if that's what the kids call it nowadays.
   413. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 07, 2017 at 02:40 PM (#5489375)
I hadn't bookmarked the thread (I still have those from the last 3 years bookmarked; ah, memories!) but fortunately (and unexpectedly) was able to find using the search function.

Maybe next year I will bring 2 gloves to assist in clothing those who come with zero.

Lower energy level: largest factor was obviously the many kids who for some reason stayed OFF OUR LAWN! this year, eg, Jason, Lassus, Shooty, Ray, Sam, McCoy, billyshears, obo...also, several attendees had been on the field since 9ish, and there was quite a bit of warming up done. Some of the game may have been left there...

414. Bote Man Posted: July 07, 2017 at 02:56 PM (#5489392)
Maybe next year I will bring 2 gloves to assist in clothing those who come with zero.

I'm pretty sure I read upthread that this was a clothing-optional game, which suits me just fine as that mitigates the hot weather perfectly.
   415. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 07, 2017 at 03:04 PM (#5489399)
I'm pretty sure I read upthread that this was a clothing-optional game, which suits me just fine as that mitigates the hot weather perfectly.

Jesus, Bote, with threats like that attendance next year will PLUMMET!!!!
   416. Howie Menckel Posted: August 20, 2017 at 02:10 PM (#5517298)
so I put that lost 20 pounds to use last night at my niece's wedding/my birthday/father-of-bride=my-twin birthday)

the challenge: shimmy all the way down during "SHOUT"! song* at reception, then slowly go all the way back up - no use of hands allowed. tougher to do as one turns 56.

going down was fine, but first push of legs to go up met some resistance for a moment. but - success! saw a 30-year niece and a 31-year-old nephew both with illegal use of the hands penalties to boost back up, which was even more gratifying.

mixed feelings on the fact that because I was the most energetic dancer out there for this one - having slow-played for a couple of hours to make sure I had a full tank late - my brother-in-law called for me to "DO THE WORM!" at just the proper call-out time. with just a split-second to think, I passed. I think you have to be really hammered to go that route, and I just wasn't.

it could have gone viral - but equally likely as not, for the wrong reasons.
:)

* - yeah, it's a cliche, I know. but this was an Irish/Puerto Rican wedding, and the dance floor was a frenzy of activity all night - so it actually fit. if you're going to have a half-dozen people doing it at half-speed while everyone else watches - then no.
   417. LA Podcasting Hombre of Anaheim Posted: August 20, 2017 at 02:23 PM (#5517308)
DO THE WORM. DO IT.

Also, happy birthday and congrats :)
   418. Bote Man Posted: August 20, 2017 at 03:47 PM (#5517353)
Don't worry Howie, I was stupid enough to start one of these fitness classes in which you jump around for the better part of an hour and I'm feeling it 3 days later. Maybe I'll go back if I don't die first.

#OutOfShape
   419. Hysterical & Useless Posted: August 25, 2017 at 03:05 PM (#5521066)
Howie, belated happy b-day. You crazy kids with your "dance moves."

I've been away from the site for a couple of weeks and was gratified to come back and see this thread was still alive. This year's game is far enough in the past for me to feel like I might be able to do it again next year. I think it's like what women say about childbirth, horrible to go through but the pain fades away and before you know it OH #### I'M DOING IT AGAIN!!!
Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis
for his generous support.