Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 06, 2014

Chelsea Handler Rips A-Rod, Calls Him ‘Disgusting,’ ‘Gross,’ And ‘A Buffoon’

Woke up, it was a Chelsea dagger…

Handler said on “The Howard Stern Show” on Wednesday that Rodriguez recently approached the actress and asked, “Chelsea, why are you gonna make fun of me all the time?”

Handler, as expected, wasn’t shy about telling the truth.

“Get away from me, I think you’re disgusting,” the author told A-Rod.

She also told the slugger that he’s “gross.” And it didn’t end there.

The three-time American League MVP said, “Why am I gross?” Handler told Stern. ”We got off on the wrong foot. Why am I gross? I read all your books. I’m a big fan.”

She wasn’t flattered by the compliment. Her response?

“I go, ‘Well I don’t know why you’re a big fan,’” Handler told Stern. ”‘I think you’re a f—ing a–hole.’”

When asked by Stern why the writer and producer despises the 38-year-old so much, her answer was simple.

“Just the way he conducts himself,” Handler said. “He’s got a centaur of himself in his bedroom. Yeah, him and a horse, combined as one person … Plus he dates all these girls, he just sleeps around. I don’t like guys who cheat on their girlfriends, you know? I’m not into that.”

Repoz Posted: March 06, 2014 at 07:02 AM | 282 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 
   101. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: March 06, 2014 at 05:15 PM (#4667369)
I'm also having a tough time seeing the malice or even condescension in Ferrell's performances but everyone has their own view of things.
   102. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 06, 2014 at 05:20 PM (#4667370)
I'd say that's probably closer to Mexican-American experience than a guy with a Polish name who looks white

Since that made me wonder what Mencia looked like in his youth, here's a picture of his high school ID card. (Amusingly, he's wearing a hat with a giant "NED" on it, to emphasize his un-Carlos-ness.)
   103. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 06, 2014 at 05:21 PM (#4667371)
Anyone see that John Mulaney stand-up on Netflix? To me that's the best stand-up act for a relatively new comedian in the last few years.

New Kid in Town is beautiful.
   104. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 06, 2014 at 05:27 PM (#4667376)
Voros, you need to learn how to enjoy having everyone hate you and just not giving a damn.

Re: Ferrell - I've told this story on the site before, but it bears repeating. When I was in middle school and then high school, Ferrell had just joined SNL. Ferrell moved a block away from my school when he first arrived in NY, and we'd see him on the street all the time. He was a total gentleman, friendly to all of us; the kids playing football during recess in the street would lose their football and he'd put down his groceries to throw the ball back - "Hey, kid, go long!". Just a completely and unnecessarily nice and normal guy. Also super smart - made a fortune off of Funny or Die.

Of all the comedians; nay, all the celebrities; nay, all the public figures - to single out for mean-spiritedness, Will Ferrell may well be the last on the list.
   105. Morty Causa Posted: March 06, 2014 at 05:31 PM (#4667383)
But what does that have to do with him as a comedian?
   106. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 06, 2014 at 05:34 PM (#4667384)
Regardless of what you think of Chelsea Handler, I think its hard to argue with the statement she made. I mean, A-Rod is a pretty disgusting guy, if by that you mean that he is a liar, a cheat with baseball, and a cheat with women.

Are those things even remotely debatable?

I don't think he is disgusting. He is an odd duck*, sure, but I don't find that disgusting. He took steroids, the horror! Just like many, many, many athletes. As to cheating with women, I have no idea if he has or not. He is not (to the best of my knowledge) married, and many non-married guys date multiple women. If you are above board with that (or in an open relationship), that is not disgusting at all.

Now I am not an expert on all things Centaur, so maybe he is married and does sundry disgusting things, but from what I know he is odd but not disgusting (any more than any other professional athlete anyway).

* OK, perhaps not duck. Odd Centaur.
   107. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 06, 2014 at 05:36 PM (#4667387)
But what does that have to do with him as a comedian?

Farrell is a goofy man child who makes fun of goofy man childs. He's not cruely stigmatizing the other, he's self deprecating.
   108. Voros McCracken of Pinkus Posted: March 06, 2014 at 05:37 PM (#4667389)
Voros, you need to learn how to enjoy having everyone hate you and just not giving a damn.

I'm 42 years old. It ain't happening. And in general, not giving a damn cost me a dozen of the last 14 years of my life. I'm quite proud of the extent of my recovery the last two years. I recognize the attraction of apathy, but it's a losing strategy.

I really don't think I've ever done a whole lot for people to want to hate me, anyway. I don't hate Will Ferrell (don't know him). I just don't think simply pointing and laughing at people is funny.
   109. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 06, 2014 at 05:47 PM (#4667398)
I'm 42 years old. It ain't happening. And in general, not giving a damn cost me a dozen of the last 14 years of my life. I'm quite proud of the extent of my recovery the last two years. I recognize the attraction of apathy, but it's a losing strategy.

Not apathy. Apathy is bad. You have to affirmatively not care, for reasons you honestly believe to be valid. Its actually more difficult than caring, which makes it not apathetic. Apathy is wishing folks didn't hate you but lacking the willpower to act on it.
   110. Yardape Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:01 PM (#4667407)
If you replaced "Ferrell" with "Sandler" in all of Voros' posts, I would be 100% on board.
   111. J. Sosa Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:07 PM (#4667409)
I've never gotten the impression that Ferrell is making fun of himself. Quite the opposite. He may be a peach of a man in real life, but I think Voros is correct in that he is only making fun of a certain type of person (which does not include himself for the most part). I like Stewart because he tends to be fairly even handed in his mockery. But to suggest that Ferrell is doing anything other than mocking a group of which he is not a part is dubious. In recent times he rarely has been able to make it through a film that doesn't involve the Koch brothers (The Campaign) or a Diebold joke + Koch brothers (Lego Movie). I would struggle to remember a joke he has made in the other direction, and his obsession with that particular issue across multiple movies is odd. I believe that is what Voros was referring to with his 49 percent comment. If not, I apologize for putting words in his mouth.

I personally find Ferrell's comedy repetitive and tiresome, but a few of my friends think he is hilarious. I did enjoy Talledega nights but oddly didn't care for Anchorman which seems to be most people's favorite.
   112. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:13 PM (#4667411)
I like Stewart because he tends to be fairly even handed in his mockery. But to suggest that Ferrell is doing anything other than mocking a group of which he is not a part is dubious. In recent times he rarely has been able to make it through a film that doesn't involve the Koch brothers (The Campaign) or a Diebold joke + Koch brothers (Lego Movie).

Um, what? I like Stewart, but he is NOT even-handed. He will take potshots at Obama, but its from the left. And he gets back into partisan mode come election time, his pandering to John Kerry was awful.

I haven't seen The Campaign (which was not written by Ferrell nor his writing partner Adam McKay), but to say there's much of a political strain in Ferrell's material other than the George W Bush stuff (which is simple "hey, people in power are foolish, eh?, a strain of comedy that goes back generations) is a stretch. Also, he didn't write "The Lego Movie", and I rather doubt he ad-libbed the stuff about voting booths, since its animation.

If you replaced "Ferrell" with "Sandler" in all of Voros' posts, I would be 100% on board.

Agreed. Now there is a style of humor that is mean-spirited and all about putting others down, and a perfect illustration of the difference between doing a joke at someone's expense versus doing it in a mean-spirited manner. If Will Ferrell were doing a joke about a fat person, he'd make a fat joke, but make it in a way so that the person delivering the joke was also the butt of the joke because of how inartful and stupid they were (i.e. Ron Burgundy's ridiculous put downs). Sandler would just make a mean-spirited joke where the essence was fat people are stupid and subhuman (i.e. the awful treatment of "Jill" in "Jack and Jill"). There is a huge difference there.
   113. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:16 PM (#4667414)
Anyone see that John Mulaney stand-up on Netflix? To me that's the best stand-up act for a relatively new comedian in the last few years.

Interesting he is brought up when we're talking about "mean" humor. What I find so damn refreshing about John Mulaney is that he is not spiteful or vindictive at all. Almost every comedian some kind of an #######, but there isn't a hint or pretension or malice in John Mulaney's stand-up. I really enjoy him and I hope the tv show he has in the works takes off. I think it's very difficult to be funny and not also be a dick.
   114. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:21 PM (#4667415)

Agreed. Also, I think the claim that the Lego Movie is political is a huge stretch.
   115. J. Sosa Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:27 PM (#4667417)
Where else would Stewart take shots at Obama from? The right?

Does Ferrell have a career without the GWB stuff (which he was great at)? Are Koch brothers and Diebold jokes really such a common thing as one would expect them to be part of both a movie based on political satire and an animated film that Ferrell acts in? Maybe Hollywood is more insular than I thought.

I do agree about Sandler.

edit to add: I didn't say that the Lego movie was political. I said that Ferrell has shown a fondness for Koch brothers jokes. Which is true. The Diebold machine joke in the Lego movie was odd because, yes, it was the Lego movie. The Lego movie showed a general lack of self awareness that was startling, but overtly political no.)
   116. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:33 PM (#4667422)
Where else would Stewart take shots at Obama from? The right?

Yes, if he was "even-handed" as you say.

Does Ferrell have a career without the GWB stuff (which he was great at)?

Yes, he was fairly popular before that.

Are Koch brothers jokes really such a common thing as one would expect them to be part of both a movie based on political satire and an animated film that Ferrell acts in?

The Koch brothers angle in Lego Movie is a huge stretch - at best its an anti-business sentiment in general, not the specificity of the Koch brothers. And again, Ferrell didn't write it. The whole "Ferrell is mean to conservatives" seems to stem from two of his works - "The Campaign", in which he plays a buffonish Democratic Congressman, and his stuff with George W. Bush, a President that everyone made fun of.

I am baffeld at any suggestion that Ferrell takes shots at the same targets, while Jon Stewart does not.
   117. BDC Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:37 PM (#4667423)
I remember being impressed by Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction, his foray into philosophical comedy. He hasn't forayed much in that direction.
   118. Greg K Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:38 PM (#4667424)
In terms of cruel and self-deprecating comedy, Simon Amstell may be a great example of a comedian somehow being both in his career.

He's probably best known for hosting Nevermind the Buzzcocks, a music celebrity quiz show where his job was essentially to be as cruel as possible to his guests. The one linked there is his famous episode with pop singer Preston, who was actually so annoyed he walked out half-way through taping. Amstell did his usually mockery, but sent Preston over the edge when he repeatedly read from Preston's wife's autobiography.

And yet his standup is some of the most confessional stuff I've ever seen, to the point where I'm not even sure it's standup comedy. It's pretty much him talking about his flaws for an hour or so.
   119. J. Sosa Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:45 PM (#4667429)
I haven't seen Stranger than Fiction, I will have to look it up.

Did the same people write Megamind and the Lego Movie? The jokes about Met-atrocity and the Craggle I thought were cloying, and he tends to do that sort of thing in other films. Maybe that's hilarious and I need to get my funny bone checked. He's popular so it is well within reason that it's me.
   120. Lars6788 Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:54 PM (#4667431)
I think Ferrell is dumb - he plays all these embecil roles that are just so vanilla - but people of his ilk eat that up and think he is something great.

Maybe he's a normal, down to earth guy in real life but he seems [to have made a nice living, being a celeb, et al] by being a no-talent hack who loves to mock feckless schmucks.
   121. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:55 PM (#4667432)
The Lego Movie was written by the guys behind the "21 Jump Street" movie and "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs."
   122. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:59 PM (#4667435)

He's gotten a ton of internet abuse over the years and he handles criticism far better than oh say, MGL...
   123. J. Sosa Posted: March 06, 2014 at 07:11 PM (#4667447)
I respect Voros. And I do think he generally over the years has taken a lot of crap that was uncalled for. Which is why I posted in this thread (not to imply he was taking crap here just that I am generally sympathetic to him ). I generally avoid nonsports threads like the plague.
   124. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 06, 2014 at 07:13 PM (#4667450)
Yes, if he was "even-handed" as you say.

Is it even possible to take shots at something "from the right" and still be funny? Humor is about the reversal of power dynamics and the subversion of expectations, and conservatives are pretty much always the overdog. That's kind of their whole thing, right?
   125. JJ1986 Posted: March 06, 2014 at 07:25 PM (#4667460)
No dog in this fight, but the new Anchorman movie takes a lot of shots at Rupert Murdoch as if he were the originator of cable news back in the 80s, with no reference whatsoever to Ted Turner.
   126. JLAC is engulfed in a harmless burst of flame Posted: March 06, 2014 at 07:28 PM (#4667463)
RoyalsRetro, "even-handed" does not mean not having a position or a point of view. Even-handed means giving everyone the gears regardless of theirs.
   127. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: March 06, 2014 at 07:43 PM (#4667469)
anyone have an opinion on whether or not Amy Schumer is funny?
   128. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 06, 2014 at 07:44 PM (#4667470)
To put it crudely, the expression in the Duke frat houses BITD used to be "anything with hair and a hole".

And today, they've dropped the hair requirement.

Colbert strikes me as mean: whether that's a shtick or not doesn't matter.

Real Colbert is widely regarded as one of the nicest and most centered comedians around.

anyone have an opinion on whether or not Amy Schumer is funny?

Somewhat. A lot funnier than Handler, a lot less than Silverman (since all female comedians must, by law, be compared only to one another).
   129. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 06, 2014 at 07:44 PM (#4667471)
As to cheating with women, I have no idea if he has or not. He is not (to the best of my knowledge) married, and many non-married guys date multiple women. If you are above board with that (or in an open relationship), that is not disgusting at all.

Now I am not an expert on all things Centaur, so maybe he is married and does sundry disgusting things, but from what I know he is odd but not disgusting (any more than any other professional athlete anyway).

Well, A-Rod and his ex-wife got divorced after he was photographed out with another woman. His wife alleged in the divorce proceedings that he had a long string of extramarital affairs and that he had emotionally abandoned her and their daughter. If true, I could understand why a person would find that objectionable.
   130. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 06, 2014 at 07:56 PM (#4667475)

Separately, I read on Wikipedia that Carlos Mencia is the 17th of 18 children. Holy ####.

I don't find Will Ferrell funny, but it's not because he's mean-spirited, it's just that his comedy is not very smart. His schtick is playing pompous blowhards with no self-awareness, which isn't that funny to me. I'm more entertained by the smartest guy in the room than the dumbest guy in the room. If they're dumb, they should at least be likeable (i.e. Leslie Nielsen slapstick comedy), whereas most of Ferrell's characters are intensely unlikeable.
   131. Greg K Posted: March 06, 2014 at 08:03 PM (#4667477)
As far as female comedians go, I really like Josie Long in interviews or as a guest on shows, but her actual stand-up specials haven't grabbed me.

I think she can go on the Bill Cosby list of comedians that seem to be funny without really going after anyone.

She also seems to always do really odd bits. I think I saw her once do a show where the comedians are given an assigned topic for their 5 minute bit. But they don't know what it is until they are handed a piece of paper as they walk on stage. Or this one which appears to be a stand up routine for a bunch of unsuspecting travellers on a street car. Which doesn't make for the funniest of specials, but has a certain impressive element to it.
   132. Zach Posted: March 06, 2014 at 08:08 PM (#4667480)
Is it even possible to take shots at something "from the right" and still be funny? Humor is about the reversal of power dynamics and the subversion of expectations, and conservatives are pretty much always the overdog. That's kind of their whole thing, right?

What a lucky person you are. All of the funny people agree with you!
   133. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 06, 2014 at 08:10 PM (#4667481)

Yeah well then you should be able to take potshots at the Presidency from any direction then.

With respect to "kicking down" type humor, sure that's what people like Rush do, and it's the main basis of "frat boy" humor, but its also what lefties do when they make fun of "white trash" flyover country types.
   134. steagles Posted: March 06, 2014 at 08:19 PM (#4667482)
Interesting he is brought up when we're talking about "mean" humor. What I find so damn refreshing about John Mulaney is that he is not spiteful or vindictive at all. Almost every comedian some kind of an #######, but there isn't a hint or pretension or malice in John Mulaney's stand-up. I really enjoy him and I hope the tv show he has in the works takes off. I think it's very difficult to be funny and not also be a dick.
tom jones thinks he's a petty little shithead.

there are a lot of really good stand-ups these days. to the names already mentioned, i'd add recs for jim jefferies (alcoholic australian), john pinette (fat italian) and kyle kinane (creepy weird guy with beard).
   135. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 06, 2014 at 08:20 PM (#4667484)

I think you can take shots at something "from the right" and still be funny. Good parody needs to have some affection or empathy for the object of the humor, it can't be fueled purely by hatred, which is why (IMO) a lot of right-wing comedy, and political comedy in general, falls flat. Yeah, there are some comedians whose schtick was to be a grumpy spiteful SOB, but you could generally see that for what it was, a schtick. One reason why Colbert is so successful is that even when he disagrees with the guy across the table from him, he seems to get along with them. Stewart is much more on the borderline, and someone like Dennis Miller seems to hate everyone. Another good rule is "don't take yourself so seriously".
   136. michaelplank has knowledgeable eyes Posted: March 06, 2014 at 08:23 PM (#4667485)
I've never found Ferrell remotely funny, and his stint on The Office was like a betrayal of the smart, subtle comedy that that show had specialized in up to that point.
   137. Kurt Posted: March 06, 2014 at 08:30 PM (#4667488)
Good parody needs to have some affection or empathy for the object of the humor, it can't be fueled purely by hatred

Or the audience needs to also hate the target, which is why Tina Fey's Sarah Palin material was so successful.
   138. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: March 06, 2014 at 08:32 PM (#4667490)
Heinlein insisted that "funny" was something bad happening to someone else

And tragedy is something funny happening to you?

139. Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: March 06, 2014 at 08:52 PM (#4667500)
I've never gotten the impression that Ferrell is making fun of himself. Quite the opposite. He may be a peach of a man in real life, but I think Voros is correct in that he is only making fun of a certain type of person (which does not include himself for the most part).
Well, his breakthrough movie role was playing an overgrown fratbro who liked to get drunk and go streaking.
From wikipedia:
He enrolled at the University of Southern California, where he studied Sports Broadcasting and joined the Delta Tau Delta Fraternity. In college, he was known for a few pranks. On occasion, he would dress in a janitor's outfit and stroll into his friends' classes. He was also known for streaking around campus with a few other people from the Delta Tau Delta fraternity.

That said, count me among those who don't find him terribly funny. He's ok in small doses (old school, wedding crashers, etc), but his shtick wears thin pretty quickly.
   140. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 06, 2014 at 09:48 PM (#4667523)
Is it even possible to take shots at something "from the right" and still be funny?

Of course it is, if you're P.J. O'Rourke or the late William F. Buckley, or Bob Dole. Am I missing anyone?
   141. GregD Posted: March 06, 2014 at 10:39 PM (#4667539)
Bob Dole was a genuinely funny person, the only truly funny politician I've ever seen, or at least the only one willing to show his bleak sense of humor in public.
   142. Shibal Posted: March 06, 2014 at 10:53 PM (#4667540)
How the left views comedy:

If you make fun of my side, you are spiteful and full of hate.

If you make fun of the other side, you are a brilliant comic speaking truth to power.

Rush Limbaugh is the prime example of this.
   143. GregD Posted: March 06, 2014 at 11:11 PM (#4667542)
Sean Hannity...great comic or greatest comic ever?
   144. Manny Coon Posted: March 06, 2014 at 11:27 PM (#4667546)
How the left views comedy:

If you make fun of the other side, you are a brilliant comic speaking truth to power.

No, Rush is just terrible, the guy spoke out in favor of Joseph Kony. South Park guys are pretty conservative are really dislike liberals and constantly make fun of them and the left doesn't really go after them.
   145. Lassus Posted: March 06, 2014 at 11:31 PM (#4667548)
South Park guys are pretty conservative are really dislike liberals and constantly make fun of them and the left doesn't really go after them.

It's pointless to answer that sentiment. Shibal thinks disparagement is same as humor. The left often mocks itself. When was the last time you ever saw the right do so, Shibal? Get back to me when you do.
   146. Lars6788 Posted: March 06, 2014 at 11:34 PM (#4667549)
The right - we should be able to make fun of women, minorities and oppressed groups but if any of those groups come back at us, we cry mommy, say we're persecuted, say they were asking for it and accuse them of being too PC.
   147. GregD Posted: March 06, 2014 at 11:35 PM (#4667551)
The right - we should be able to make fun of women, minorities and oppressed groups but if any of those groups come back at us, we cry mommy, say we're persecuted, say they were asking for it and accuse them of being too PC.
And you think that isn't funny?
   148. Shibal Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:17 AM (#4667560)
You lefties sure are touchy tonight.
   149. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:17 AM (#4667561)
I wouldn't call South Park conservative. Religion, redneckery, and jingoism are constantly being mocked. Their politics don't seem to really fit what most people would classify as conservative or liberal. They just like making fun of everyone. If the show has an ideology, it's libertarianism, despite Barbrady disavowing the concept of reading altogether as a result of reading Atlas Shrugged.

And Limbaugh is a poor example for Shibal to use, because Limbaugh is irredeemably loathsome, but the rest of his statement is true. However, the reciprocal is also true. Most people have a much easier time sympathizing with and justifying inflammatory rhetoric coming from those they generally like and agree with than from those they don't. This isn't a new thing, and it's not exclusive to any particular group.
   150. Shibal Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:21 AM (#4667563)
Sean Hannity...great comic or greatest comic ever?

Chris Mathews ranks up there, don't forget him.
   151. GregD Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:23 AM (#4667564)
Chris Mathews ranks up there, don't forget him.
He does share the Limbavian tendency to laugh loudly at his own jokes! I can't say I've ever joined him in his hilarity. CM may be the least-funny person on TV...
   152. Shibal Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:27 AM (#4667566)
And Limbaugh is a poor example for Shibal to use, because Limbaugh is irredeemably loathsome,

He's loathsome to you because you find his politics loathsome.
   153. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:40 AM (#4667571)

No, he's loathsome to me because he is a loathsome person. It has nothing to do with what he thinks our foreign policy should be or what he believes ideal tax rates are. You have no idea what my politics are.

Edit: To clarify, using your own words:

This is why I hate him, more than anything. It's his approach to life, at least his public life. It's destructive and despicable. I don't care what end of the spectrum it's coming from.
   154. Manny Coon Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:42 AM (#4667572)
I wouldn't call South Park conservative. Religion, redneckery, and jingoism are constantly being mocked. Their politics don't seem to really fit what most people would classify as conservative or liberal. They just like making fun of everyone. If the show has an ideology, it's libertarianism, despite Barbrady disavowing the concept of reading altogether as a result of reading Atlas Shrugged.

Whether or not they are mainstream conservative or libertarian or whatever, the original comment was "How the left views comedy: If you make fun of my side, you are spiteful and full of hate." and they make fun of the left strongly and often, and have regularly talked about how much they dislike liberals during interviews outside the show.
   155. GregD Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:43 AM (#4667573)
I would not say that. Limbaugh is a truly loathsome individual. He's a liar, he's unbelievably vicious and petty especially to people he thinks can't fight back; he lives to mock and ridicule. Despite his own well-documented failures at sobriety and marriage, among other things, he hypocritically mouths platitudes about the very values he mocks in his own life. Next to him, Elmer Gantry is Elmer Fudd.

There are many people far more conservative than Limbaugh whom I don't find loathsome at all. To choose just one quick example. Tom Coburn is almost certainly a more committed conservative than Limbaugh. I shudder at the idea of Tom Coburn ever holding national office. His politics are anathema to me. But I don't find him personally loathsome at all.

The only person saying that liberals can't distinguish between their politics and their personal responses to people...is you.
   156. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:52 AM (#4667580)
Is it even possible to take shots at something "from the right" and still be funny?

Of course it is, if you're P.J. O'Rourke or the late William F. Buckley, or Bob Dole. Am I missing anyone?

As mordantly amusing as Bob Dole could be whenever he stopped trying not to be mordantly amusing, he doesn’t exactly qualify as a leading example of the comedic approach. P.J. O'Rourke's reputation is greatly overrated by virtue of his "tallest skyscraper in Omaha" status as a libertarian ex-Lampooner with a good rolodex. It’s an incomplete and leading statement to say that the National Lampoon’s sharp downhill plunge began when he took charge, but that is what happened. Some of Buckley's quips were extremely funny; Winston Churchill’s best lines were, too.

Nick DiPaolo is a funny conservative standup comic. Adam Carolla's another one. Parker and Stone have done some terrific anti-liberal storylines and characterizations on “South Park.”

Go back in time and you pick up Bob Hope (though he was more of a prominent conservative who did comedy and less of a conservatism-driven comedian). H.L. Mencken’s over-the-top invective doesn’t hold up quite as well today, but in his heyday he was a bracing conservative wit.

Some writers who swerved all over the ideological road like Christopher Hitchens and George Orwell produced some very good anti-left stuff. That Jonathan Swift is so often invoked as a conservative satirist is true, but if one of your top guys is a contemporary of Johann Sebastian Bach and Benjamin Franklin, it speaks to the weakness of the conservative comedy bench.

There are some functional, structural reasons why most comedy is liberal, or at least not conservative. What’s less clear is why most of the best comedy taking apart liberal weaknesses, biases and assumptions has been done by other liberals.

Rush Limbaugh is an ideal example. He’s the most prominent conservative comedian out there, but his routines are lame and monotonous. It's not impossible to do great comedy by comforting the comfortable and afflicting the afflicted, but it takes more talented chops than Limbaugh’s got.
   157. Shibal Posted: March 07, 2014 at 01:08 AM (#4667587)
The only person saying that liberals can't distinguish between their politics and their personal responses to people...is you.

I don't understand your point. You didn't see all the posts on here explaining how you can't be funny if you are right-wing?

Let me explain it to you simply, taking out my flippant, partisan jab that got you ladies all hot and bothered.

1) Jokes about my side aren't funny.
2) Jokes about the other side can be funny.

Therefore, right-wingers don't find John Stewart very funny. Left wingers don't find Rush Limbaugh funny.

158. GregD Posted: March 07, 2014 at 01:20 AM (#4667590)
1) Jokes about my side aren't funny.
2) Jokes about the other side can be funny.
Possibly this describes you. I deny it describes everyone. There is a smug in-crowd type of joking that is obviously meant solely to appeal to true believers, but that tells us more about the comedian than the inherent capacity of an audience.

Therefore, right-wingers don't find John Stewart very funny. Left wingers don't find Rush Limbaugh funny.
I don't find these equivalent cases for the reason I said before. Limbaugh is a truly despicable, loathsome person. I can find plenty of other conservative not loathsome and also funny, and still believe this person lacks any sign of a sense of humor or any sign of any functional moral compass. (While the two often don't go together, it is unusual to see a person score zero on both category, but he is, as he likes to say, exceptional.)
   159. Shibal Posted: March 07, 2014 at 01:40 AM (#4667593)
Good lord Greg. I was making a broad statement. Maybe some high-minded, morally superior folks like you can laugh at all brands of political humor, but most don't. Why is that so difficult to understand?

You might have a point if I had said:

How Greg D views comedy:

But I didn't. So your personal opinion, while absolutely fascinating, has little bearing on my initial statement.
   160. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: March 07, 2014 at 01:56 AM (#4667596)
The South Park guys are just kind of ########. They may lean libertarian, but they just decide to 'skewer' whatever they feel like.

I think Stewart actually goes too far in trying to be 'fair' towards both sides. Some of his attempted jabs towards the left are...stretches, to say the least.
   161. GregD Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:52 AM (#4667601)
But I didn't. So your personal opinion, while absolutely fascinating, has little bearing on my initial statement.
And your statement about "the left" is based on absolutely zero evidence, even of the anecdotal variety. In the face of counter-evidence in members of "the left" who see it in entirely different ways than your generalization claims, your statement should be dismissed out of hand.
   162. ptodd Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:56 AM (#4667606)
“Just the way he conducts himself,” Handler said. “He’s got a centaur of himself in his bedroom. Yeah, him and a horse, combined as one person … Plus he dates all these girls, he just sleeps around. I don’t like guys who cheat on their girlfriends, you know? I’m not into that.”

This the girl who wrote "My Horizontal Life-A collection of One Night Stands" . At least Arod keeps his stuff in the bedroom
   163. valuearbitrageur Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:22 AM (#4667607)
Lots of people have probably slept their way onto a t.v. show (if that's indeed what she did) but few of them are still on the air 5 years later. Never seen the show but I assume she's doing something right.

I was obtuse because I assumed if anyone knew of Chelsea, they'd know she dated and lived with Ted Herbert for the first 4 years of her show. Ted, who is almost 60 years old, was in charge of E! network and now runs NBC, a hugely powerful exec. Joel McKale on The Soup mentioned it whenever he would make fun of her, which was a lot.

Dating Ted was her prerogative, but acting so moral and prim while ripping A-Rod as a promiscuous sleaze (& when Chelsea Lso used to show her own sex tape at parties too, LOL) is an impressive amount of hypocrisy.

And worse, to do it because A-Rod walked up to her to tell her he liked her show and is a big a fan? That's a bit more ###### than necessary.
   164. BrianBrianson Posted: March 07, 2014 at 06:50 AM (#4667611)
There is a smug in-crowd type of joking that is obviously meant solely to appeal to true believers, but that tells us more about the comedian than the inherent capacity of an audience.

I'm skeptical - if the audience is showing up for it, it tells you something about the audience. And watching Margaret Cho go down that path, I at least want to believe she was dragged there by her audience. Stupid audience.
   165. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: March 07, 2014 at 07:20 AM (#4667614)
As far as female comedians go, I really like Josie Long in interviews or as a guest on shows, but her actual stand-up specials haven't grabbed me.

Nina Conti's ventriloquism act is good fun (she can also be seen on 'Family Tree') - the disconnect between her own on-stage persona, and that of the puppets, is continually fascinating to me. And no Jeff Dunham catchphrase crap!

I've not seen Helen Keen do stand-up, but her BBC Radio show, 'It Is Rocket Science', was very Josie Long-esque. Lucy Porter's panel show work also makes me think that her stand-up shows are probably very good, though again I've not seen one of them yet, just 'Mock the Week'-style clips.

Kristen Schaal's stand-up doesn't really connect for me, but it's definitely an interesting watch. But I did really enjoy Aisha Tyler's show from a few years back. Her material isn't outstanding, but her physical presence and commitment was amazing.
   166. Flynn Posted: March 07, 2014 at 08:16 AM (#4667618)
I don't think Orwell really veered ideologically all over the map. He was pretty consistently a democratic socialist. Just in the 1930s, you were dealing with a lot of true believer stalinists who parroted the party line from Moscow (which really killed a previously diverse set of opinions on the left) while Hitler was taking over Europe. It's easy to see how that would horrify Orwell.

He also skewered middle-class proto-hippies, who are certainly objects of scorn and derision among much of the British left today. And the American left, frankly.
   167. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 07, 2014 at 08:28 AM (#4667625)
For Orwell and Hitchens both, I amend "swerved all over the road" to "changed lanes."
   168. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 09:19 AM (#4667633)

I looked on YouTube but couldn't find Limbaugh's ill-fated appearance on the Letterman show from the 90s. He went to his usual bag of material early, with some crack about how ugly Hillary Clinton was, and Letterman replied with something along the lines of, "Well, to an Adonis like you everyone looks homely," which got much bigger laughs. And then the sweat started pouring from Limbaugh's fat face, and I suddenly understood why Rush so studiously avoids any interactions with people who disagree with him.
   169. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 07, 2014 at 09:23 AM (#4667634)
1) There are more conservatives than liberals (I keep hearing we are a center right country).
2) Both sides are equally funny when attacking the other side.

These two taken together mean there must be more conservative comedians than liberal comedians. Except this does not appear to be the case. There are many more liberal comedians than conservative ones. So what is the missing piece?

a) There really are more liberals than conservatives
b) Liberals are funnier and/or making fun of conservatives is easier (intrinsically more funny) than the reverse.
c) The deck is stacked against legion of conservative comics. Your liberal media at work, keeping down the right wing funny.

170. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 07, 2014 at 09:28 AM (#4667636)
His wife alleged in the divorce proceedings that he had a long string of extramarital affairs and that he had emotionally abandoned her and their daughter. If true, I could understand why a person would find that objectionable.

Like I said, I am not an expert on Centaurs. But "professional athlete sleeps around" and "ex-spouse says bad things about former mate" are two of the least surprisingly things ever. Heck ARod might be a horrible human being, no idea, but most pro athletes sleep around and a very large percentage of marriages end in divorce. And many parents suck at parenting. None of those are exactly admirable, but calling them disgusting requires calling a large percent of every pro athlete disgusting. Why is ARod MORE disgusting? He is weird, but weird is not disgusting, it is just weird and perhaps off putting.
   171. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 07, 2014 at 09:41 AM (#4667639)
There are more liberals than conservatives in all field of performing arts. That has nothing to do with the talent of conservatives versus liberals, any more than the relative paucity of liberals at major investment banks means that liberals can't do math.

My personal experience is that people who are "funny" on an everyday basis show no political bias (other than an anti authoritarian streak), but people who choose a career as a comedian are overwhelmingly liberal. Also, a significant proportion of "conservative" humor pokes fun at those who are different or behave contrary to social norms, so the jokes aren't really acceptable as public consumption. It's the "black comics can make racial jokes, but white comics can't'" principle writ large.

Just thinking in the past week: there's an East African guy in my office, very stereotypical "horn of africa" in appearance and accent. Brilliant guy, but sometimes things get lost in translation. We're having a meeting on Monday, the day after all of the Captain Phillips clips at the Oscars, and he had to duck back in his office for a second. "Nobody leave this room", he says in his accent, then leaves. We stare at each other in silence for a minute, then this brutally funny, WASPy guys drops a "captain, I think we're being hijacked". Brought the house down. But as soon as the East African dude stepped back in, everyone pretended like nothing had happened.
   172. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 07, 2014 at 10:10 AM (#4667650)
There are more liberals than conservatives in all field of performing arts.

Why? You assert this is the case like it is natural law or something. Comedy clubs are extremely darwinistic. Nobody cares about anything but getting laughs. It is different than acting, because it is much more individual and if you get laughs you will get bookings, and you can start out at the bottom with open mic nights.

One can make a plausible argument acting is "full of liberals" because that is who is cast or something. So why do you think there are an overwhelming number of liberal comics?

I suspect it has to do with the anti-authoritarian nature of comedy. And the fact that Liberals are more likely to be anti-authoritarian. But if comedy is intrinsically anti-authoritarian as are liberals (which is why they go together like peanut butter and jelly), then the contention about both sides humor is the same is wrong. Liberals are more funny (on average) because they are swimming with the comedy grain.

You can't have it both ways. Humor can not be totally non-partisan unless there is some exogenous factor preferencing liberal comedians. So what is that exogenous factor? Or is humor not completely non-partisan?
   173. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 10:22 AM (#4667659)
RoyalsRetro, "even-handed" does not mean not having a position or a point of view. Even-handed means giving everyone the gears regardless of theirs.

Fair enough, but I don't think Stewart makes Obama a target nearly as much as he did Bush. And I think he would be far less funny if he did, so there is reason for that. I don't think comedians should be even-handed. They should have a point of view. And I'm still a bit baffled as how anyone could pick up much of a political strain through Ferrell's work, much less a "mean" political strain. There have to be 3-4 dozen comics with a much more overt mean political bent in their work than him. His shtick is buffoonish white man-boy.
   174. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 07, 2014 at 10:31 AM (#4667668)
Stewart and the Daily Show mostly focused on skewering the media and not the politicians themselves during the 00's. The show was far more critical of the journalists who slavishly repeated the statements of the Bush admin. than it was of the admin. itself. But my impression is that Stewart began to view himself as more of a traditional pundit and member of the media around 2010 or so, and since then he's become exactly what he used to make fun of: A media insider saying "both sides do it" and "both sides suck." The show has suffered as a result.
   175. The Good Face Posted: March 07, 2014 at 10:42 AM (#4667678)
I suspect it has to do with the anti-authoritarian nature of comedy. And the fact that Liberals are more likely to be anti-authoritarian. But if comedy is intrinsically anti-authoritarian as are liberals (which is why they go together like peanut butter and jelly), then the contention about both sides humor is the same is wrong. Liberals are more funny (on average) because they are swimming with the comedy grain.

Way off base. Liberals ARE the establishment; they're the party of the status quo. They control almost every institution worth controlling in America. It's hilarious to see people who are as establishmentarian as it gets describing themselves as "anti-authoritarian". Seems to me that at some point an anti-authoritarian would take some shots at, yanno, authority. Like perhaps the President of the United States?
   176. ASmitty Posted: March 07, 2014 at 10:51 AM (#4667682)
Also, a significant proportion of "conservative" humor pokes fun at those who are different or behave contrary to social norms, so the jokes aren't really acceptable as public consumption. It's the "black comics can make racial jokes, but white comics can't'" principle writ large.

I think there is a lot of truth to this. Chris Rock's "N-word" bit is one of the most famous stand-up segments in history, and it is really, in many ways, a very conservative piece of comedy. But I don't think conservatives would even be comfortable with a non-black comic performing that piece. See, e.g, Steve Carrell attempting it on The Office for the precise purpose of generating that sort of tension.

And this is true of a lot of comedy that is inherently conservative. The Chappel Show mocked things like ghetto culture and reparations, but kept the white co-author of those bits off screen.

In the end, much of conservative thought can be boiled down to, "some people are, in fact, better than others in meaningful ways." It's hard to turn that into comedy, because it means pointing out that the underdog may be the underdog for a reason, and that is often true, but rarely funny. On the other hand, attacking that notion mainly involves picking on the people who think they are better than others, and pretty much everyone can get behind that because it appeals to human nature.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that comedians swing liberal because liberal material is much easier to do in a platable way. If you want to attack notions of equality and pick on the underdogs, it's more or less required that you be a part of the underdog class, lest you seem like a bully. And people don't really like bullies.
   177. Shredder Posted: March 07, 2014 at 10:52 AM (#4667683)
I don't think anyone really believes everyone at CPAC are idiots. That would completely leave out all the grifters who are there specifically to take advantage of the idiots.
   178. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 07, 2014 at 10:59 AM (#4667690)
Way off base. Liberals ARE the establishment; they're the party of the status quo. They control almost every institution worth controlling in America.

As we have established many times how you define words and how the rest of the world defines those same words is very much at odds, which makes these discussion a bit difficult at times. For example see the thread on how you think North Korea is actually a Democracy. Your definition of terms like Democracy, Liberal, and so on makes it a challenge to have discourse with you.
   179. The Good Face Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:04 AM (#4667695)
Way off base. Liberals ARE the establishment; they're the party of the status quo. They control almost every institution worth controlling in America.

As we have established many times how you define words and how the rest of the world defines those same words is very much at odds, which makes these discussion a bit difficult at times. For example see the thread on how you think North Korea is actually a Democracy. Your definition of terms like Democracy, Liberal, and so on makes it a challenge to have discourse with you.

Actually, this is pretty straightforward. Liberals control the Presidency, the Senate, the media, academia, and the various government bureaucracies. Again, if you can't figure out some way to direct jokes at the freaking PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, you don't pass the laugh test when you describe yourself as "anti-authoritarian".
   180. BDC Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:07 AM (#4667697)
If you want to attack notions of equality and pick on the underdogs, it's more or less required that you be a part of the underdog class, lest you seem like a bully

Great point. This has been true pretty much forever. Chaucer's Canterbury Tales pick on a few "common" people, like the gullible carpenter in The Miller's Tale, but most of the satiric targets are rich, powerful, or at least pretentious: the friar, the monk, the prioress. The same in Boccaccio: there's one village-idiot type in several of the Decameron stories (Calandrino), but even he has more money than sense; generally, the stories tend to be about the foolishness of the privileged.

There were funny conservative writers in Britain in the last century, notably Evelyn Waugh and Noël Coward. But even they spent a lot of time making the fashionable upper classes look idiotic.
   181. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:18 AM (#4667712)

Anyone who doesn't find Rush loathsome is loathsome, I know people who agree with his politics who find him loathsome, some lefties are also loathesome (I know some fomer Naderites who now regad St. Ralph as beng loathesome), some politically neutral people are loathesome, Roman Polanski is loathesome.

Rush Limbaugh is as loathesome and dishonest and phony as they come- Beck may be somewhat nuts but he's genuine, Hannity's not the sharpest knife but he's genuine- Rush is a hypocritical lying scumbag
   182. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:26 AM (#4667718)
And people don't really like bullies

Most people don't really like bullies, some people do, and some people will do anything possible to refuse to perceive that someone they otherwise like is in fact a bully (try convincing the average parent that their child is the bully- almost literally can't be done)
   183. Kurt Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:27 AM (#4667719)
These two taken together mean there must be more conservative comedians than liberal comedians. Except this does not appear to be the case. There are many more liberal comedians than conservative ones. So what is the missing piece?

a) There really are more liberals than conservatives
b) Liberals are funnier and/or making fun of conservatives is easier (intrinsically more funny) than the reverse.
c) The deck is stacked against legion of conservative comics. Your liberal media at work, keeping down the right wing funny.

d) Standup comedy flourishes in large, overwhelmingly liberal cities like New York, Chicago and LA. A comic in NYC is much more likely to be "discovered" than comic in Wichita.
   184. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:38 AM (#4667727)
d) Standup comedy flourishes in large, overwhelmingly liberal cities like New York, Chicago and LA. A comic in NYC is much more likely to be "discovered" than comic in Wichita.

Comics aren't tied to one particular city. They travel around all the time for gigs. And most talented comics in Wichita, St. Louis, etc. are going to go to NYC, Chicago, and LA to get noticed.

It would be more accurate to say that people in cities like NY, Chicago, and LA serve as the gatekeepers, and that filtering process is going to favor liberal comics. But even that's begging the question to some extent. Why are the people in those cities the gatekeepers?
   185. Kurt Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:44 AM (#4667729)
Why are the people in those cities the gatekeepers?

Because those are the cities with the most people, obviously. It's a lot easier to fill a couple-hundred seat club for a show when there are millions of people living within a few square miles of the place.
   186. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:54 AM (#4667739)
Comedy clubs are dying. You can get just as easily get "discovered" in Wichita on Youtube than you can grinding it out on the club circuit in NY.
   187. Ron J2 Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:55 AM (#4667741)
#145 P. J. O'Rourke has been mentioned and he'll take plenty of shots at the right. Yeah generally with a, "but the Left is worse" disclaimer.
   188. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:56 AM (#4667742)
Why? You assert this is the case like it is natural law or something. Comedy clubs are extremely darwinistic. Nobody cares about anything but getting laughs. It is different than acting, because it is much more individual and if you get laughs you will get bookings, and you can start out at the bottom with open mic nights.

Why are such a high percentage of male ballet dancers gay? Why are so many engineers male? Why did most boxers grow up poor?

None of these things have much to do with talent. There are three factors at play:
(1) Once a predominance is established, it perpetuates itself through mentoring, opportunites and a general preference for people like you (aka "the good old boy network").

(2) With rare exceptions, professions are a choice, not a destiny. There are lots of things that a charismatic, funny guy might do for a living.

(3) Standup is a tough gig. Folks who have better options generally choose them. The two funniest people I've ever known socially in my life - both of whom have now built successful careers in comedy - both came to standup AFTER establishing themselves as writers because, with good educations, they could do that first. Guys starting out in standup tend to follow the Louis CK life path - no college, or crappy college, no other options, standup starts looking pretty good.

189. Kurt Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:00 PM (#4667745)
Comedy clubs are dying. You can get just as easily get "discovered" in Wichita on Youtube than you can grinding it out on the club circuit in NY.

Who's done that?
   190. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:01 PM (#4667747)
Because those are the cities with the most people, obviously. It's a lot easier to fill a couple-hundred seat club for a show when there are millions of people living within a few square miles of the place.

But that leads to the questions of why those cities are so populous, why there's been a dramatic increase in urbanization, and why urban areas are more liberal.
   191. Greg K Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:04 PM (#4667752)
But that leads to the questions of why those cities are so populous, why there's been a dramatic increase in urbanization, and why urban areas are more liberal.

To bring it full-circle, Louis CK's thoughts on the never-ending "why" spiral.
   192. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:05 PM (#4667755)

This is a laugh. Liberals want to impose just as many restrictions on people as conservatives, it's just that you like those restrictions. Michael Bloomberg is far more authoritarian than any conservative politician in this country.
   193. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:12 PM (#4667762)
That Louis CK bit is hilarious.

See, I can laugh at my own post! Maybe that's a liberal quality. (to bring it around again)
   194. Greg K Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:17 PM (#4667766)
See, I can laugh at my own post! Maybe that's a liberal quality. (to bring it around again)

I really just wanted an excuse to link some stand up...this thread has had me meandering through youtube for the last little while.

I was going to post something similar myself, my guess on comics being generally more liberal can be drawn back (like a lot of things) to why urban centres are generally more liberal.
   195. ASmitty Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:22 PM (#4667773)
I really just wanted an excuse to link some stand up...this thread has had me meandering through youtube for the last little while.

You've already drawn me down the YouTube rabbit hole with that first link. I've seen/heard all of these Louis CK bits before, but I never get tired of them. Not sure I can say that about any other comics I've been exposed to.
   196. Kurt Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:24 PM (#4667776)
To bring it full-circle, Louis CK's thoughts on the never-ending "why" spiral.

Oh my God, yes. I had one of those that culminated in "Why no more why questions?" The looks I got from the people around me after that one...
   197. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:25 PM (#4667777)
I was going to post something similar myself, my guess on comics being generally more liberal can be drawn back (like a lot of things) to why urban centres are generally more liberal.

Black people are funny?
   198. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:29 PM (#4667785)

This is a laugh. Liberals want to impose just as many restrictions on people as conservatives, it's just that you like those restrictions. Michael Bloomberg is far more authoritarian than any conservative politician in this country.

If Michael Bloomberg is the best you can come up with as an example of a liberal, then you may be identifying part of the problem.

But yes, Bloomberg was the subject of some pretty funny jokes (including by "liberal" comedians like Bill Maher). Obama has been, too. And I know I didn't imagine the 1990s when Bill (and to a lesser extent Hillary) Clinton was a well that comedians went to often.
   199. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:35 PM (#4667791)
If Michael Bloomberg is the best you can come up with as an example of a liberal, then you may be identifying part of the problem.

But yes, Bloomberg was the subject of some pretty funny jokes (including by "liberal" comedians like Bill Maher). Obama has been, too. And I know I didn't imagine the 1990s when Bill (and to a lesser extent Hillary) Clinton was a well that comedians went to often.

Every major liberal politicians wants authoritarian measures in spheres like healthcare, gun control, and business activity (especially oil, gas and coal production).

Forcing people to buy a product they don't want is authoritarian. Limited their Constitutional rights to own guns is authoritarian. Preventing them from developing natural resources on the land they own is authoritarian.
   200. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:36 PM (#4667793)

Who's done that?

Bo Burnham
Jon Lajoie
Good Neighbor (Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney)
The girls behind "Broad City"
The Gregory brothers
Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.