Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 06, 2014

Chelsea Handler Rips A-Rod, Calls Him ‘Disgusting,’ ‘Gross,’ And ‘A Buffoon’

Woke up, it was a Chelsea dagger…

Handler said on “The Howard Stern Show” on Wednesday that Rodriguez recently approached the actress and asked, “Chelsea, why are you gonna make fun of me all the time?”

Handler, as expected, wasn’t shy about telling the truth.

“Get away from me, I think you’re disgusting,” the author told A-Rod.

She also told the slugger that he’s “gross.” And it didn’t end there.

The three-time American League MVP said, “Why am I gross?” Handler told Stern. ”We got off on the wrong foot. Why am I gross? I read all your books. I’m a big fan.”

She wasn’t flattered by the compliment. Her response?

“I go, ‘Well I don’t know why you’re a big fan,’” Handler told Stern. ”‘I think you’re a f—ing a–hole.’”

When asked by Stern why the writer and producer despises the 38-year-old so much, her answer was simple.

“Just the way he conducts himself,” Handler said. “He’s got a centaur of himself in his bedroom. Yeah, him and a horse, combined as one person … Plus he dates all these girls, he just sleeps around. I don’t like guys who cheat on their girlfriends, you know? I’m not into that.”

Repoz Posted: March 06, 2014 at 06:02 AM | 282 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:37 AM (#4667797)
But your choice of Bloomberg to illustrate your point about liberalism and authoritarianism was poor, snapper. Everybody - both sides of the aisle - thinks Bloomberg is an authoritarian, whether they agree with him or not, whether they like him or not. (Also, he's hardly the archetype of liberalism.)
   202. Greg K Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:38 AM (#4667798)
Black people are funny?

It's been a while since I studying the theory of urban history, but as I recall a horribly simplified version of one of the arguments is that urban communities allow for more cosmopolitan societies in which the arts flourish, and conservatism holds less sway (speaking historically here, for instance aristocratic land-owners and peasants tend to be fairly conservative)

So, kind of?

EDIT: I suppose I should clarify my pithy and entirely unserious response. Cultural diversity (whether that's based on ethnicity, religion, or simply regional variation...the fact that London brought people from Kent and Lincoln together had consequences for what life in the city) is one aspect of urban environments that certainly seems to contribute to the arts.
   203. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:42 AM (#4667801)
But your choice of Bloomberg to illustrate your point about liberalism and authoritarianism was poor, snapper. Everybody - both sides of the aisle - thinks Bloomberg is an authoritarian, whether they agree with him or not, whether they like him or not. (Also, he's hardly the archetype of liberalism.)

Well, he's top of mind, living near NYC.

But, he's far from an outlier. Andrew Cuomo has expressed equally authoritarian views; explicitly saying anyone who is pro-Life or pro-gun rights should leave NY State.
   204. Shibal Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:43 AM (#4667803)
And your statement about "the left" is based on absolutely zero evidence, even of the anecdotal variety. In the face of counter-evidence in members of "the left" who see it in entirely different ways than your generalization claims, your statement should be dismissed out of hand.

Jon Stewart's audience skews left. The left generally finds him funny. The right doesn't. The right generally finds Rush Limbaugh entertaining. The left doesn't.

It's laughable that you are so resistant to this.
   205. Greg K Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:51 AM (#4667817)
Jon Stewart's audience skews left. The left generally finds him funny. The right doesn't. The right generally finds Rush Limbaugh entertaining. The left doesn't.

I think these are undeniable as broad trends, but I don't think it means we can't distinguish "funny" and "political fellow-travellers". Political fellow-traveller is probably too strong a term for how I see Stewart or Bill Maher, but I generally skew left. Stewart can be funny, I'm not sure that I've ever laughed at a single thing Bill Maher's said.

George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman series are some of my favourite books of all time, and I find them hilarious, and he was unabashedly conservative (which comes through in the books, albeit in a 19th century context).

I think the argument isn't that politics doesn't influence how we read/see comedy, but that it isn't the be all and end all. We are still capable (or should be anyway) of discussing and distinguishing between funny and unfunny while remaining aware of our biases.
   206. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:57 AM (#4667825)
Now that I think of it, Gran Torino was a deeply conservative movie and damn funny. That's an pretty choice example of conservative comedy.
   207. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:05 PM (#4667833)
Jay Leno, Jeff Dunham, Brian Regan, Drew Carey (libertarian - he does a lot with Reason magazine), Dennis Miller, Norm McDonald, Adam Sandler, Doug Stanhope (libertarian), Nick DiPaolo, the Zucker brothers, are all right-leaning comics, although pretty much just as fiscal libertarians, not on social issues.

There are also self-proclaimed conservative comedians like Evan Sayet, Brad Stine and Eric Golub, but I have never heard of any of them and have no idea how popular they are (my guess is, they aren't.)
   208. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:09 PM (#4667838)
But, he's far from an outlier. Andrew Cuomo has expressed equally authoritarian views; explicitly saying anyone who is pro-Life or pro-gun rights should leave NY State.

Oh, please, that's not what he said.

EDIT: Either way, I'm not really sure what your point is. Pretty much any politician is a good target for comedy at times. If there's a good conservative comedy routine about Andrew Cuomo, please point me to it, as I would likely find it amusing. I haven't seen a lot of that kind of comedy from the right.
   209. PreservedFish Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:10 PM (#4667842)
Aren't performers/artists in general just more likely to be liberal? At least in our culture. There is nothing intrinsically leftwing about painting, ballet, sculpture, opera, writing etc. So I don't think there's necessarily anything special about comedy.
   210. Booey Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:13 PM (#4667845)
And I know I didn't imagine the 1990s when Bill (and to a lesser extent Hillary) Clinton was a well that comedians went to often.

Clinton: Thank you, Lisa, for teaching kids everywhere a vauable lesson: If things don't go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.

Marge: That's a pretty lousy lesson.

Clinton: Hey, I'm a pretty lousy president.
   211. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:13 PM (#4667846)
Oh, please, that's not what he said.

Umm, it's pretty much exactly what he said.

Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they are the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are.

You can assume by "anti-gay" he means anyone who opposed gay marriage, and considers homosexual activity sinful.

He is basically telling me he doesn't want me in NY.
   212. The Good Face Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:14 PM (#4667847)
(3) Standup is a tough gig. Folks who have better options generally choose them. The two funniest people I've ever known socially in my life - both of whom have now built successful careers in comedy - both came to standup AFTER establishing themselves as writers because, with good educations, they could do that first. Guys starting out in standup tend to follow the Louis CK life path - no college, or crappy college, no other options, standup starts looking pretty good.

This is dead on in my experience. One of the funniest guys I know has a good education and a successful career in business, but will occasionally do a gig at a comedy club, or show up for an open mic event, where he inevitably kills. He almost certainly COULD have a career in comedy, but a better career than he has now? That's an awfully big stretch. Standup is not a particularly attractive career path for most folks who have options.
   213. GregD Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:15 PM (#4667849)
Now that I think of it, Gran Torino was a deeply conservative movie and damn funny. That's an pretty choice example of conservative comedy.
Gran Torino is hilarious!

I do resist pure relativism masquerading as analysis. No, I don't think Limbaugh's politics are the primary reason why I find him unfunny and repulsive. I do believe it is possible to make judgments about people and ideas that are not simply binary projections of politics--all good people can agree that Bill Maher is simply not a funny human being, though he may have other fine traits for all I know. The idea that people can only see the world through their ideology is reductive and false even when put to good use, and it is put to bad uses all the time to claim false equivalencies. And the idea of "the left" is a single thing is so foolish as to be unworthy of response. As is for that matter the idea of "the right." So yes I resist your statements and will continue to do so; they're wrong empirically and ethically.
   214. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:25 PM (#4667853)

Umm, it's pretty much exactly what he said.

No, he was talking about extreme Republican candidates for office, saying they did not have a place in state politics. That is pretty clear from the link I posted.
   215. Shibal Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:57 PM (#4667870)
I do resist pure relativism masquerading as analysis. No, I don't think Limbaugh's politics are the primary reason why I find him unfunny and repulsive. I do believe it is possible to make judgments about people and ideas that are not simply binary projections of politics--all good people can agree that Bill Maher is simply not a funny human being, though he may have other fine traits for all I know. The idea that people can only see the world through their ideology is reductive and false even when put to good use, and it is put to bad uses all the time to claim false equivalencies. And the idea of "the left" is a single thing is so foolish as to be unworthy of response. As is for that matter the idea of "the right." So yes I resist your statements and will continue to do so; they're wrong empirically and ethically.

I'm not going to spend five minutes of my time parsing this statement to figure out what you are trying to say.

Next time, if you have an opinion you would like to share, write that opinion simply and clearly.

If you just want to show everyone how smart you are, quit arguing politics on a baseball forum.

216. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 07, 2014 at 01:02 PM (#4667874)
I'm not going to spend five minutes of my time parsing this statement to figure out what you are trying to say.

I understood what GregD was saying. The fact you are unwilling to try to parse it or ask him questions to clarify what he is saying suggests much more about you than it does about him or his statement.

If after you ask for a clarification he refuses or is otherwise unhelpful that is one thing, but blanket statements like yours are unhelpful. Why bother to participate in an open forum like this if you are going to refuse to spend time understanding other views?
   217. The Good Face Posted: March 07, 2014 at 01:23 PM (#4667887)
I understood what GregD was saying. The fact you are unwilling to try to parse it or ask him questions to clarify what he is saying suggests much more about you than it does about him or his statement.

I understood it, but it was such a ridiculous, bullshit argument that it probably didn't even deserve the polite treatment it received in 215. It's part and parcel of the recent trend among BBTF lefties to, when presented with unpleasant realities about groups they either belong to or sympathize with, attempt to constantly parse out exceptions from said groups, and/or obfuscate the validity of such groups, or deny their existence entirely.

It's crap because such clumping is an essential function of how the human brain works. We cannot have meaningful communications with one another if discourse was limited to the sort of disassociative nonsense espoused in 213. No grouping is perfect, but they embody essential conceptual entities that are usually more accurate and useful than not.
   218. pikepredator Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:24 PM (#4667912)
Wait a minute . . . the right views Limbaugh as some kind of a comedian? I thought he his role was as a pundit speaking the truth. The handful of people I know who listen to him think he's a sage authority figure and I have the impression they'd be offended if I called him a comedian. They cite him as a source of fact, not satire/irony/whatever.

I promise, I'm not trying to be obtuse/inflammatory/trollish with this comment. I am honestly confused as to Limbaugh's place in this discussion. I always saw him as more of a right-wing-NPR kind of commentator.

219. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:27 PM (#4667916)
Wait a minute . . . the right views Limbaugh as some kind of a comedian? I thought he his role was as a pundit speaking the truth.

He is until he says something obnoxious enough to draw criticism. Then he's just joking, proof that the left is humorless.
   220. Ron J2 Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:31 PM (#4667917)
#218 He pulls the "I'm an entertainer" after being called for something truly egregious.

And a lot of his material has what you might call comedic roots.
   221. Blastin Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:31 PM (#4667918)
Word.
   222. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:37 PM (#4667924)
Wait a minute . . . the right views Limbaugh as some kind of a comedian?

Most Republicans I know view him as a clown, not a funny ha ha circus clown, but clown in the sense that he's someone who should not be taken seriously.... There's a self-professed dittohead in my roto league who thinks Rush is both hysterical and someone who "speaks truth to power" (he also thought that when Christie bawled out some retired teacher on YouTube that Christie was speaking truth to Power...)
   223. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:40 PM (#4667927)

I'm sure that he doesn't want you in the Country, but is willing to compromise by just kicking you out of the State
   224. Shibal Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:47 PM (#4667936)

The fact you are unwilling to try to parse it or ask him questions to clarify what he is saying suggests much more about you than it does about him or his statement.

Indeed. I made a broad statement a third grader could understand. Greg's statements resemble a high school kid writing an essay to impress a junior college admissions officer.

I have no interest in debating "pure relativism masquerading as analysis", the "idea of the left", "the idea that people can only see the world through their ideology is reductive and false even when put to good use, and it is put to bad uses all the time to claim false equivalencies".

If that's "unhelpful", so be it.
   225. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:51 PM (#4667941)
I always saw him as more of a right-wing-NPR kind of commentator.

?????????
Have you ever listened to his radio show?

When Limbaugh first stated becoming popular, Howard Stern of all people claimed that Limbaugh was copying him- which on the surface was absurd, they don't discuss the same topics and they don't use the same type of language- but what Stern was picking up on was what was making Limbaugh popular (at least in part)- Limbaugh was openly belligerent/offensive to the types of people his audience wanted to be belligerent to.

So in an odd sense he's a less scatological Howard Stern* - but still essentially an entertainer, but in no way shape or form is he anything like an NPR style commentator (and he's seemingly not even capable of that kind of role, I've seen him on The McLaughlin Group)

*I confess 20 years ago I found Stern to be somewhat amusing... don't know what the hell I was thinking, South Park on the other hand, still funny even though it will cross the line into being simply repellent
   226. pikepredator Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:51 PM (#4667942)
I'm going to give him another listen the next time I take a road trip. The reason he turns me off is because I feel like he's blatantly spreading misinformation (w/r/t science, taking politics out of it entirely). Maybe I've been taking him more seriously than he wants me to take him.

anyway back to your regularly scheduled thread. I personally think ideas like "god planted the dinosaur fossils to trick scientists, true believers must keep the faith that the earth is 8000 years old and ignore evolution" is the reason the right gets made fun of more than the left. Yeah it's kinda reductio ad absurdum, but it's easier to make fun of positions like that than it is to make fun of left-leaning positions like "I think all children should get adequate food and health care, so I guess the rich have to pay for it".

so the right gets heckled. and the left gets pitied for being naive and ignoring basic facts, such as Mother Nature herself being heartless. The Sun may be a leftist, but Mother Nature is right-wing all the way.
   227. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:55 PM (#4667946)
I personally think ideas like "god planted the dinosaur fossils to trick scientists, true believers must keep the faith that the earth is 8000 years old and ignore evolution" is the reason the right gets made fun of more than the left.

But that's not really a position of the "right," it's a religious belief held by certain groups of evangelical Protestants (And by some heretical Catholics like Rock Santorum)- the rest of the Right wing coalition usually just kind of stands aside when the Evangelicals really want to fight that quixotic battle
   228. pikepredator Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:06 PM (#4667960)
I know but nevertheless Santorum is a republican, same as the "legitimate rape" wingnuts. I am *not* saying they represent the views of the right overall, but people like that make for comedy gold.

whereas extreme left-wingers come across as pathetic idealists. That line from The Incredibles - "Everybody's special", "that's just another way of saying nobody is" just doesn't have the same kind of legs.
   229. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:08 PM (#4667961)
he reason he turns me off is because I feel like he's blatantly spreading misinformation (w/r/t science

The first time I ever heard about Rush was 25 years ago or so- when the MSM presented him as some kind of Environmental/Science expert- he had some gibberish about how all Environmental problems were caused by volcanoes- there's smog in the valley? A volcano erupted 10,000 miles away two months ago. The Earth is warming? Volcanoes are spewing greenhouse gases. The Ozone layer is depleted? Volcanoes. (Even after he got popular he kept up the volcano shtick fro awhile- even referencing some of his climate ideas in his first couple of books)
He of course knew less about the impact of Volcanoes on the climate than a 12 year old does after looking at Wikipedia for 2 minutes, but nevertheless he's get 5 minutes on some show being deferred to as an "expert" on climatology or something (In fact he was just a guy with a radio show who once heard about how volcanoes impacted the weather and also once heard libruls discussing greenhouse gases, and put 2 apples and 2 oranges together together and got 5 1/2 Apricot Seeds as the answer.

So I think he learned early on that if you:
1: Make stuff up; and
2: Assertively declare that the made up stuff leads to the conclusion your audience wants to hear:
3: Profit
   230. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:12 PM (#4667964)
That line from The Incredibles - "Everybody's special"

Meet the Fockers was a pretty bad sequel, but it was funny when DeNiro meets Stiller's parents and sees their collection of plaques and trophies... leans in reads a few inscriptions, "Huh, I didn't know they made a trophy for tenth place"
   231. Kurt Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:22 PM (#4667970)
*I confess 20 years ago I found Stern to be somewhat amusing... don't know what the hell I was thinking

If there were a comedy Rushmore (here we go again...), Stern would be on it. To come up with 20 hours of live material a week for 30 years and stay enormously popular the way he has is an incredible achievement.
   232. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:30 PM (#4667979)
Comedy Mt. Rushmore:

Pryor, Dangerfield, Carlin, Murphy
   233. Blastin Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:42 PM (#4667988)
I'd put Lucy on there so Rodney can correctly gripe about a lack of respect.
   234. kthejoker Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:46 PM (#4667990)
Comedy Mt. Rushmore:

Groucho, Harpo, Chico, Bob Hope

235. Ron J2 Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:47 PM (#4667991)
#232 Peak or career?

This kind of discussion requires a LAR (Laughs Above Replacement) list. And needs to be age adjusted or we'll get Jim Carey ( I'm told that the success of Ace Ventura is primarily due to the fact that 9 year old boys were eager to watch the movie multiple times) topping the list.
   236. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:49 PM (#4667994)
This, to some extent, betrays my own idealogy but...
With comedy, a rule of thumb is to punch up, not down. Regardless of what you might think about where power actually resides, etc... - voters on the left is composed of more people that are disenfrachised or poor or whathaveyou than we see with the right.

Is this specifically a standup Rushmore or "comedy"? Very different things.

Presuming standup.... no to Dangerfield and Murphy, not that they weren't great - but they weren't top four in terms of influence, skill, breadth of career, etc...

Here's a top 100 list from a decade back - I have issues with it, but there's some names to mull over.
   237. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:49 PM (#4667995)
Murphy

no one has fallen as far as Eddie Murphy, I mean what a lame waste of stage/screen time he's been for 20 years, but man was he so great in the 80s.
   238. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:51 PM (#4667997)
no one has fallen as far as Eddie Murphy

Not far enough in my opinion. Hate to gripe about something so trivial, but Paul Reubens loses his career over touching himself in a movie theater and Eddie Murphy can get caught with a transvestite hooker and go right back to making kiddie fare like Dr. Doolittle and Daddy Day Care.
   239. Blastin Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:52 PM (#4667999)
That doesn't mean Murphy should have fallen farther (the only thing I think was wrong about that was the cheating I guess), but that Pee Wee should still be bigger. But he's still respected and shows up from time to time.
   240. Greg K Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:57 PM (#4668004)
And needs to be age adjusted or we'll get Jim Carey ( I'm told that the success of Ace Ventura is primarily due to the fact that 9 year old boys were eager to watch the movie multiple times) topping the list.

Speaking as someone who was a 9 year old boy when Ace Ventura came out, this is correct.
   241. Greg K Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:01 PM (#4668008)
Here's a top 100 list from a decade back - I have issues with it, but there's some names to mull over.

Updating that list I think Louis CK makes huge strides (from #98).

Off the top of my head I'd put Ricky Gervais and Dylan Moran on there. He really only has one special so far (so far too early to rank, assuming he does any more), but I was impressed with Stephen Merchant's special Hello Ladies, though his HBO TV show Hello Ladies doesn't grab me. I'd also advocate Simon Amstell on my personal list, but am fully willing to consider the notion that that's just me.
   242. BDC Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:06 PM (#4668014)
From the list in #236 I'd take Steven Wright, Woody Allen, George Carlin, and Albert Brooks ‐ betraying my tastes, which are for a sort of surreal philosophical humor. Mitch Hedberg is the sort of Addie Joss of that group, or the James A. Garfield if we're staying with the Rushmore analogy. Louis CK is gaining ground there too: the kind of thinking one turns to in order to orient yourself to the world. Writers, first and foremost, and in a particular genre. I'd like to learn more about similar comics.
   243. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:12 PM (#4668017)
And needs to be age adjusted or we'll get Jim Carey ( I'm told that the success of Ace Ventura is primarily due to the fact that 9 year old boys were eager to watch the movie multiple times) topping the list.

I used to watch In Living Color, Carrey was hysterical on that show (A truly great show until Fox Exec.s ruined it)
Ace Venture Pet Detective otoh was a stinking turd, but I think it is impossible to describe the film to a 10-25 year old make without making it sound like a hysterical film.
   244. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:12 PM (#4668018)
Funniest complete career:

Bill Cosby, Bob Newhart, Bill Murray, Woody Allen

If we're just limiting to what they did in stand-up:

Richard Pryor, Dave Chappelle, Mitch Hedberg, Chris Rock
   245. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:14 PM (#4668019)
Amstell is fine, but I'd hesitate to rank him too highly just yet.
CK the stand up is good, really good - but don't know how to integrate or separate his truly excellent show from the rest of it.
I like Moran a lot - haven't heard enough to get a real sense of where to put him though. On a related note, I've got a big slab of Stewart Lee queued up for this weekend; I've never really heard more than a joke or two from him at a time.

As for Steven Wright/Woody Allen/George Carlin/Albert Brooks, we've a similar bent, Greg - though I wouldn't make that my Rushmore either (either in the global sense or what they mean to me - though I'm sure that the former would have Carlin). Hedberg is definitely a favorite of mine, gob smackingly brilliant, but I'd have to think that over as well.
   246. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:15 PM (#4668022)
Hate to gripe about something so trivial, but Paul Reubens loses his career over touching himself in a movie theater

Yes Paul Reubens got completely screwed (pun not intended but unavoidable), but I never found Pee Wee to be remotely amusing, and if his show was still on when my kids came along I'd likely have to accidently drop an anvil on the family TV.
   247. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:16 PM (#4668024)
Here's a top 100 list from a decade back

No Emo Phillips? The list has no credibility.
   248. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:17 PM (#4668028)
That doesn't mean Murphy should have fallen farther

By "fallen" I don't mean that he lost popularity (though he has), I mean he's lost the comic/entertainment ability he used to have.
   249. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:21 PM (#4668032)
No Emo Phillips?

My Law School Roommate
described Emo as follows:

He's a waste of air, by that I mean he's using oxygen that more deserving organisms, intestinal parasites perhaps, could be using

I wouldn't go quite that far, but Emo Phillip's popularity was one of the more baffling things...
   250. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:24 PM (#4668035)
I love Emo Phillips, especially after he dropped the vocal affectations. Brilliant guy - I'd've had him on there somewhere; sure.

Too late for inclusion on that list, but someone praised Maria Bamford upthread, and I'd be remiss if I didn't second that. She is amazing.
   251. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:26 PM (#4668040)
He's a waste of air, by that I mean he's using oxygen that more deserving organisms, intestinal parasites perhaps, could be using

Most intestinal parasites are anaerobic. Of course your law school roommate is most likely a lawyer now, so his expertise on the nature of parasitism has undoubtedly increased.
   252. villageidiom Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:38 PM (#4668053)
If you just want to show everyone how smart you are, quit arguing politics on a baseball forum.
Someone missed the T in BTF.
   253. villageidiom Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:42 PM (#4668057)
From the linked list:
99. Janeane Garofalo
100. Gallagher

Gallagher was robbed. And I hate Gallagher.
   254. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:47 PM (#4668062)
You think so? This isn't just about popularity - if it was, no one would mention Lenny Bruce in their top ten.
I saw putting him at 100 as the nod to "yes, you exist and had a ton of Showtime specials" - sort of like how BA uses the #30 slot on their annual handbooks ... someone has to get this spot, let's make it a person of (relative) note.

That said, Garofalo (who I really liked during her peak) doesn't belong here.
   255. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:52 PM (#4668068)
You think so?

I think it was a commentary on 99.
   256. Ron J2 Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:54 PM (#4668069)
#254 I have to admit I know little about Bruce's material beyond the fact that he'd constantly get arrested for it.

And what little I know about the man comes from what Bill Russell had to say about him.
   257. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:59 PM (#4668071)
When Limbaugh first stated becoming popular, Howard Stern of all people claimed that Limbaugh was copying him- which on the surface was absurd, they don't discuss the same topics and they don't use the same type of language- but what Stern was picking up on was what was making Limbaugh popular (at least in part)- Limbaugh was openly belligerent/offensive to the types of people his audience wanted to be belligerent to.

Limbaugh also copped the "us against the enemies who don't get it" attitude. And instead of Stern's parade of "X the Y" characters (e.g. Scott the Engineer, Wendy the Retard, Jeff the Drunk, Sal the Stockbroker, Eric the Midget), Limbaugh has created Hillary the Witch and Barack the Socialist and Fluke the Slut and Pelosi the Harpy.

While it's an unfair fight to pit any radio comedian against Stern, Limbaugh does poorly. His deficiencies emerge in almost any head-to-head comparison of comic attributes, whether it's riffing, interplay, mimicry, running gags, improvisation, quick wit, premise-building, and so on. Limbaugh is an excellent broadcaster and polemicist, but his comedy runs dry where Stern's begins.
   258. Moeball Posted: March 07, 2014 at 05:09 PM (#4668078)

Once again a BTF thread that started out talking about Alex Rodriguez turns into another OTP thread, on its way to 300 posts and beyond! Hurray!
   259. Kurt Posted: March 07, 2014 at 05:27 PM (#4668087)
And what little I know about the man comes from what Bill Russell had to say about him.

And Michael Stipe.
   260. PreservedFish Posted: March 07, 2014 at 05:27 PM (#4668088)

I was around this age when it came out, or a bit older. Every different society of boys that I met had one kid that basically spoke, at all times, in Ace Ventura quotes. You switch from one school to another, and on the first day you find out who the Ace Ventura kid is. Even when I was in high school there was this kid named Daniel that would say "alrighty then!" constantly. Now that I look him up I see that he worked for the Bush White House and now he's in some hedge fund. I wonder if he still does it?
   261. Kurt Posted: March 07, 2014 at 05:32 PM (#4668092)
Not far enough in my opinion. Hate to gripe about something so trivial, but Paul Reubens loses his career over touching himself in a movie theater and Eddie Murphy can get caught with a transvestite hooker

Maybe this is too far OT, but I'd put masturbating in a porn theater and being with a hooker - even an icky transvestite hooker - on about the same level. Total victims combined = 0.
   262. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 07, 2014 at 05:39 PM (#4668096)
Not far enough in my opinion. Hate to gripe about something so trivial, but Paul Reubens loses his career over touching himself in a movie theater and Eddie Murphy can get caught with a transvestite hooker

Maybe this is too far OT, but I'd put masturbating in a porn theater and being with a hooker - even an icky transvestite hooker - on about the same level. Total victims combined = 0.

Try Googling "Bill Cosby" and "rape" sometime.

Poor Russell, his brother, whom he slept with.
   263. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: March 07, 2014 at 05:40 PM (#4668097)
Off the top of my head I'd put Ricky Gervais and Dylan Moran on there. He really only has one special so far (so far too early to rank, assuming he does any more), but I was impressed with Stephen Merchant's special Hello Ladies, though his HBO TV show Hello Ladies doesn't grab me. I'd also advocate Simon Amstell on my personal list, but am fully willing to consider the notion that that's just me.

Dara O'Briain would have to be there for me just for his incredible ability to feed off a live audience, and his unmatched speed in building a routine. Not to mention being an unabashed fan of science, videogames, and other cool stuff while still being funny.

Early Bill Bailey ('Bewilderness' in particular) is unmatched, although he's pretty much remixing himself now.

I've been struck recently by how many stand-ups I've seen are fantastic in a medium-sized venue, and just boring in larger ones. Izzard, Bailey, Russell Howard (whose first show I LOVED) - when you have to wait for the sound of audience laughter to reach you on stage, the whole thing seems to disintegrate.
   264. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: March 07, 2014 at 06:59 PM (#4668121)
Forcing people to buy a product they don't want is authoritarian. Limited their Constitutional rights to own guns is authoritarian. Preventing them from developing natural resources on the land they own is authoritarian.

But telling people who they are allowed to fall in love with is all about freedom.
   265. Srul Itza Posted: March 07, 2014 at 07:27 PM (#4668129)
All this talk about comedy greats, and no mention of Mel Brooks?

266. Gaelan Posted: March 07, 2014 at 10:40 PM (#4668171)
Louis C.K. is both hilarious and conservative, in the sense that his comedy provides a rather thorough critique of modern life as the outgrowth of the enlightenment.* That he doesn't identify as such, or that he isn't seen as such, is quite interesting and says quite a bit about our culture's ability to understand itself.

*I was introduced to Louis C.K. when a fourth year student sent me a clip of him doing his "everything is amazing and nobody is happy" bit on Lettermen (or something). The student said this was your course in five minutes. He was right.

Louis C.K. bit on cell phones and educating his girls is a great example of the contrast between the relationship between education and virtue vs. education and happiness.

It shows the the the left/right split is pretty silly, just variants of liberalism neither of which is genuinely conservative in the sense of skeptical of the modern project or of the enlightenment. Nor, for that matter, is evangelical Christianity which, if anything, is modernity on steroids.
   267. formerly dp Posted: March 08, 2014 at 07:19 AM (#4668198)
That he doesn't identify as such, or that he isn't seen as such, is quite interesting and says quite a bit about our culture's ability to understand itself.
Or about your ability to project your own values onto a comedian making some fairly petty generationalist criticisms. CK is brilliant, but if you think his bit on cell phones makes him some sort of (small-c) conservative, you're not paying attention to pretty much everything anyone his age is saying about the generation coming up (see Sherry Turkle, Mark Bauerline, etc.). It's the most banal thing someone CK's age can say.
==
Have not read the whole thread-- did Bill Hicks get a shout-out?
   268. Tripon Posted: March 08, 2014 at 11:13 AM (#4668236)
4. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: March 06, 2014 at 07:46 AM (#4667096)
Chelsea Handler is one of those people whose popularity confounds me. I don't get it at all. To each his own I guess.

She literally slept her way to the top. Her boyfriend at the time was an E! exec that gave her the late night show, and to her credit was able to keep it going.
   269. Shibal Posted: March 08, 2014 at 12:31 PM (#4668262)
She literally slept her way to the top. Her boyfriend at the time was an E! exec that gave her the late night show, and to her credit was able to keep it going.

Nowadays we call that "networking".
   270. CrosbyBird Posted: March 09, 2014 at 03:48 PM (#4668686)
if you can't figure out some way to direct jokes at the freaking PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, you don't pass the laugh test when you describe yourself as "anti-authoritarian".

I consider myself pretty anti-authoritarian, and I can't think of much that's really funny about Obama. He's a black guy that sounds like a white guy when he speaks? His ears stick out? I certainly could criticize a number of things, but they aren't particularly funny.

I don't think anti-authoritarianism is the reason comedy skews liberal. Both liberals and conservatives are pretty statist. Liberal gatekeepers certainly are a factor, especially for standup.
   271. CrosbyBird Posted: March 09, 2014 at 03:58 PM (#4668691)
You can assume by "anti-gay" he means anyone who opposed gay marriage, and considers homosexual activity sinful.

I don't think he's telling you that he doesn't want you in NY so much as he's telling you that your values are dissonant with dominant values in NY.

I'm actually surprised that you'd want to live in NY, particularly close to NYC. I can't imagine too many places in the country where your values would make you more of an outsider.
   272. BDC Posted: March 09, 2014 at 03:59 PM (#4668692)
I can't think of much that's really funny about Obama

I think that's a lot of it. He's good-looking, smart, a great speaker, doesn't have many (at least public) foibles. Like JFK in some ways, though with him Vaughn Meader had 15 minutes of fame doing the accent, while Obama's accent is dead plain radio American. And being black is not funny per se, though I've sometimes been in circles of older white Texans who seem to think it's intrinsically hilarious.

What Obama does very well is crack jokes about, or bounce them off, himself. In that respect he's like Bob Dole, and Bill Clinton, and oddly enough even Gerald Ford, who used to collect Gerald Ford jokes as a hobby. If somebody is comfortable enough to see some humor in themselves, that too tends to defuse a lot of humor, or make it seem churlish. It's the authority figures who seem to have no sense of their own humor (Nixon, 43) who bring out the comedians.
   273. Publius Publicola Posted: March 09, 2014 at 06:09 PM (#4668750)
JFK was noted for his self-deprecating humor as well.
   274. GregD Posted: March 09, 2014 at 06:42 PM (#4668762)
GHWB learned to deflate the jokes by poking fun at himself. Though I don't know if it came naturally to him, the way it did for Dole, I thought he was reasonably effective at it.

Clinton's ability to poke fun at himself didn't seem to insulate him since he was such an inviting target.
   275. villageidiom Posted: March 09, 2014 at 10:13 PM (#4668841)
I think it was a commentary on 99.
It was.
   276. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 12, 2014 at 03:43 PM (#4670475)
The Plight of Conservative Comedy: Where's the Right's Daily Show?

Successful comics often rise up out of thriving, crowded standup scenes, which tend to mainly exist in urban areas. Jon Stewart, for instance, spent five years in the New York City comedy world before landing a show on TV. Big cities tend to be liberal, and it stands to reason that so would be the people who attend comedy clubs in them. Funny urbanites who are conservative may decide that there just isn’t much of a market for their political material. One comedian who I was referred to declined to be interviewed because, the comedian said, the conservative label, “has never been good to me.”...

But the problem for right-leaning televised comedy may also have to do with audiences. Historically, it’s young people who have favored news mixed with humor, and polls have shown young people trending liberal for years. Fox News’ viewership is older, of a different generation than any up-and-coming standup comics, and many of its members hold pretty traditional views. That’s not exactly the audience that’ll help nurture boundary-pushing, conversation-making comedy. On Half-Hour News Hour, for instance, one writer complained that “the best material we wrote was rejected because the network considered it too controversial.”
   277. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: March 12, 2014 at 04:02 PM (#4670493)
The Plight of Conservative Comedy: Where's the Right's Daily Show?

It always struck me that one of the biggest impediments to such a creature was the desire to create a conservative show that happened to be funny, rather than a funny show that happened to be from a conservative perspective.

Stewart undeniably is a liberal, which shines through quite clearly, but it seems that his show's primary objective is to be funny. If he tried to do a liberal show, sprinkled with humor, I don't think it would be nearly as successful.

278. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 12, 2014 at 04:11 PM (#4670502)
It always struck me that one of the biggest impediments to such a creature was the desire to create a conservative show that happened to be funny, rather than a funny show that happened to be from a conservative perspective.

Air America was the left wing version of this. They really wanted to be liberal talk radio and far too often missed out. They should have tried to make great talk radio (perhaps an oxymoron) from a liberal perspective.
   279. The Good Face Posted: March 12, 2014 at 04:25 PM (#4670520)
I consider myself pretty anti-authoritarian, and I can't think of much that's really funny about Obama. He's a black guy that sounds like a white guy when he speaks? His ears stick out? I certainly could criticize a number of things, but they aren't particularly funny.

Seriously? You can't find anything funny about this guy?

It shows the the the left/right split is pretty silly, just variants of liberalism neither of which is genuinely conservative in the sense of skeptical of the modern project or of the enlightenment. Nor, for that matter, is evangelical Christianity which, if anything, is modernity on steroids.

Absolutely correct. I would be very interested in subscribing to your newsletter...
   280. PreservedFish Posted: March 12, 2014 at 04:27 PM (#4670524)

So who is conservative? Other than people that move into caves and such.
   281. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 12, 2014 at 04:31 PM (#4670530)
I can't think of much that's really funny about Obama

Jimmy Fallon's Obama impression actually cracks me up. It emphasizes how Obama deliberately speaks, with long pregnant pauses. I think you could play up "Obama the Professor" as a satire.

But he's certainly far less of a target than W or Clinton. I think someone like Paul Ryan may be too, unless we learn more about him. Romney had the "he's a square" angle, McCain the "grumpy/angry old man" angle, Hillary the "ambitious Lady MacBeth" angle, Biden the "crazy Joe" angle.

You don't even necessarily have to have an angle based on their personality. Dana Carvey did a hilarious HW Bush, but was it really based on any of Bush's actual personality traits? He never actually said "naaaa, gaaa, daaaaa...."
   282. The Good Face Posted: March 12, 2014 at 04:38 PM (#4670538)

So who is conservative? Other than people that move into caves and such.

The enlightenment is not technology, or vice versa. There is a loose grouping of right wing political theorists who have pretty much concluded that the enlightenment was a terrible mistake. I'd argue that they, and their adherents, would qualify as genuinely conservative in Gaelan's (and my) book.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Chicago Joe
for his generous support.