Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Chicago Cubs: The new magic number: 100 losses

As Owen Friend Spondulicks once said…“Goals that are not written down are just swishes.”

Somehow, the Astros (45-97) won a 1-0 game in which they committed four errors and used six pitchers. The Cubs (55-87) are stuck on the same magic number.

“The guys are starting to talk about (it),” manager Dale Sveum said. “Our goal is to stay under 100 losses, unfortunately. It’s not something you go into the season wanting to do, but that’s our goal right now.

“The guys have pride and all that. You don’t want to be a part of that. (It’s) eight games away from not happening. For us right now it’s like a day-to-day thing, (win that day) and then they’ll cut it down to seven and then you go from there.”

...Going 8-12 down the stretch – a daunting 10-game homestand features the Pirates, Reds and Cardinals – means the Cubs would finish with 99 losses.

“What else do we have to lose?” Justin Germano said. “It’s nice to have some sort of goal to finish out the season. A lot of guys want to finish strong. But as a team goal, you definitely want to minimize the losses and stay away from the 100-loss year and just try to finish on a strong note and take that into the offseason and get ready for next year.”

Repoz Posted: September 12, 2012 at 05:26 AM | 8 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: cubs

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Long Arm of Rudy Law Posted: September 12, 2012 at 07:49 AM (#4233426)
I remember hearing a radio show about the 1969 World Series That Should Have Been between the Cubs and the Orioles when I was growing up in Chicago in the early 1980s and neither Chicago team had been to the postseason in a couple of decades. I think there was a computer simulation that had the Cubs winning in seven games. The part where they beat the Braves in the NLCS was probably just assumed. Later there was another simulation about a Tigers-Cubs 1984 Series.

Anyway, I'd kind of like to see the Cubs get a little hot but then lose their last seven games to finish 62-100. In 15 years, the next generation of Cub fans will reenact that week as the last time the Cubs had a chance to avoid 100 losses.
   2. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: September 12, 2012 at 08:05 AM (#4233436)
i give dale a lot of credit. he's not blowing smoke about the situation and trying to give his guys a goal to keep them grinding.

i was a cub fan before milwaukee got a team so a part of me feels for the players and the fans. it's a rough time having a team lose at this pace.
   3. TerpNats Posted: September 12, 2012 at 08:37 AM (#4233457)
Did they ever do an '83 White Sox-Phillies simulation?
   4. Walt Davis Posted: September 12, 2012 at 08:43 AM (#4233464)
Our goal is to stay under 100 losses, unfortunately. It’s not something you go into the season wanting to do,

That does explain a lot.
   5. Walt Davis Posted: September 12, 2012 at 08:47 AM (#4233466)
It's probably in the article somewhere but as crappy as the Cubs have been all these years, they haven't lost 100 since 1966. That's before my baseball consciousness so most of me wants to not see my first 100-loss Cub team. But part of me thinks that's a pretty pathetic thing to cling to and I might as well get it out of the way. Besides we'll still have the not being no-hit streak going.
   6. Hack Wilson Posted: September 12, 2012 at 09:15 AM (#4233485)
I would have thought that the Cub teams I grew up with in the late 40s and 50s would have done it, but no. The shorter 154 game schedule doesn't seem to matter. They did do it in 1962 but of course were overshadowed by another team-terrible timing. They did manage it again in '66, the Durocher led "The Cubs are not an eighth place team" that finished 10th.

7. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: September 12, 2012 at 09:17 AM (#4233488)
But part of me thinks that's a pretty pathetic thing to cling to and I might as well get it out of the way. Besides we'll still have the not being no-hit streak going.

Now you done it. Now you gone and done it. They'll be no-hit on the last day of the season for their 100th loss.
   8. McCoy Posted: September 12, 2012 at 04:22 PM (#4234079)
I think they'll get 99 losses.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JE (Jason)
for his generous support.