Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 07, 2012

Cole Hamels on Bryce Harper: ‘I was trying to hit him’

“I was trying to hit him. I’m not going to deny it. It’s something I grew up watching. That’s what happened. I’m just trying to continue the old baseball. Some people get away from it. I remember when I was a rookie, the strike zone was really, really small and you didn’t say anything. That’s the way baseball is. Sometimes the league is protecting certain players. It’s that old-school prestigious way of baseball.

“I’m not going to injure a guy. They’re probably not going to like me for it but I’m not going to lie and say I wasn’t trying to do it. I think they understood the message and they threw it right back. That’s the way, and I respect it. They can say whatever they want.”

Guapo Posted: May 07, 2012 at 12:40 AM | 168 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nationals, phillies

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. phredbird Posted: May 07, 2012 at 01:47 PM (#4125457)
if we had to draw a line where one end is sam and the other end is morty

How far away is Morty? Can I throw at him?

just throw it behind him, he'll get the message.
   102. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: May 07, 2012 at 01:51 PM (#4125465)
just throw it behind him, he'll get the message.

But it's funnier if you hurt them.
   103. Benji Posted: May 07, 2012 at 01:52 PM (#4125466)
"...they're probably not gonna like me for it..." Don't worry Cole. There's plenty of other reasons. Like calling the Mets "chokers" then pulling one of the most gutless WS performances against the Yankees. But that's not why I'm posting. Yesterday Gary Cohen's smooth announcer voice said one of the sweetest things I ever heard: "the last place Philadelphia Phillies".
   104. OsunaSakata Posted: May 07, 2012 at 01:53 PM (#4125468)
In Florida if a batter is reasonably certain that a pithcher is going to throw at his head can he take out his concealed gun and shoot the pitcher?

*pours gasoline*

Only if the pitcher is black.

*lights match, drops it*

What's going to happen when the Nats play the Yankees and Zimmermann takes a shot at Martin?
   105. 'Spos Posted: May 07, 2012 at 01:54 PM (#4125470)
It’s something I grew up watching. That’s what happened. I’m just trying to continue the old baseball...

HBP/Game:

07-11 .224 [Hamels age 23-27]
02-06 .220 [Hamels age 18-22]
97-01 .238 [Hamels age 13-17]
92-96 .282 [Hamels age 8-12]
87-91 .306 [Hamels age 3-7]
82-86 .294 [Hamels age 0-2, born December 1983]
77-81 .372
72-76 .400
67-71 .436
62-66 .442
57-61 .476
52-56 .528
47-51 .568

Looks more like something his dad grew up watching...
   106. Kurt Posted: May 07, 2012 at 01:56 PM (#4125475)
He was charged with an earned run for a HBP? That's news to me.

Hey, you learn something new every day.
   107. Bob Tufts Posted: May 07, 2012 at 01:59 PM (#4125481)
How does your attitude on these things compare to fellow pitchers/position players, and do differences of opinion on the subject of intentional plunkings come up in the clubhouse?

The easiest call is if someone tries to hurt one of your players (spikes up into the bag, a rollblock at second abse breaking up a double play). Almost 99.9% would retaliate in this situation.

It gets murkier when you try to hit someone who is hot to unsettle them at the plate and I never heard of hitting a players because they were viewed as a hot dog or arrogant.

I never threw at anyone.
   108. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:01 PM (#4125482)
Hey, you learn something new every day.

Today, you should learn how to link to other sites: "Sorry, the page you requested was not found."
   109. SoSH U at work Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:06 PM (#4125483)
I never threw at anyone.

Were you ever asked, or in a situation where it might have been expected? (I take it you never had a situation where someone tried to hurt one of your players and you were on the hill when he came up to the plate)

Thanks for your replies. And I think most of the normal folks here*, whether generally pro-plunking or anti, can agree that there's really no justification for this partiuclar HBP.

* One very abnormal poster being the notable exception.
   110. Kurt Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:08 PM (#4125484)
Not sure why the link isn't working.

Anyway, it's the box score, showing that Hamels was charged with an earned run, because in baseball, a HBP results in an earned run when the runner scores absent any errors when the runner scores absent any errors.
   111. Bruce Chen's Huge Panamanian Robot Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:08 PM (#4125485)
I never liked Cole Hamels. What a douche.
   112. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:13 PM (#4125492)
Anyway, it's the box score, showing that Hamels was charged with an earned run, because in baseball, a HBP results in an earned run.

A HBP in baseball does not actually result in an earned run. If the bases are loaded, a HBP might results in an earned run. If the runner later comes around and scores, he is scored as an earned run.

The penalty for Hamels hitting Harper was a HBP. Not a HBP and an earned run, which was the point. The fact that he allowed that HBP to later score is separate from the punishment for the initial HBP.
   113. Kurt Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:18 PM (#4125496)
It was a potential consequence which happened. He scored.
   114. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:25 PM (#4125503)
I don't get the Harper hate. At all. Is it because he's really, really good and got a large signing bonus? Is it because he sorta-kinda came off as brash in a pretty innocuous interview with a leading men's magazine? Is it the eye-black thing from, what, two years ago? Since he's arrived, he's hustled a lot, kept quiet and done a little bit of everything on the field.

I think it's a combination of all of that. I've turned around on him watching the way he's played. He seems to have grown up a lot since he first hit the scene ~4 years ago (which happens to people between the ages of 15 and 19).

I suspect within the game there is a fair amount of "pay your dues kid" but I think that is going to be true of him, Strasburg, or any other rookie if they come with this kind of hype..

So what's mostdangerous: trampolines, beanballs or unusually grown children?

Matt Wieters wraps small children in a trampoline then throws it as a beanball to hitters who swing hard in the on deck circle.
   115. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:25 PM (#4125504)
It was a potential consequence which happened. He scored.

That's like saying the penalty for a facemask in football is a touchdown. It makes no sense.
   116. Kurt Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:37 PM (#4125511)
It's not like that at all. The runner he hit scored.

Anyway, as long as we're playing pedantball, Rants never said the penalty for a HBP is an earned run. He said "It wasn't outside the scope of the sport, Hamels was charged with an HBP and an earned run." All of which is inarguable.

Your move.
   117. birdlives is one crazy ninja Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:38 PM (#4125512)
I remember when I was a rookie, the strike zone was really, really small and you didn’t say anything. That’s the way baseball is.

What exactly did Harper do that pissed off Hamels? Did Harper complain about the strike zone previously in the series? Looks like Hamels hit Harper just because he thought he's a dick.
   118. SoSH U at work Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:42 PM (#4125513)
That's like saying the penalty for a facemask in football is a touchdown. It makes no sense.

It does make some sense, though you have to the expand the original comment from its abbreviated version.

Pitchers aren't measured in any meaningful way by the number of HBPs they accrue, so HBP totals alone aren't necessarily a detriment. They are measured by the number of earned runs they allow. Because HBPs count as earned events in the run-scoring process (should they factor in the scoring, either as the run that's scored as was the case here, or in helping propel another run home), there is a significant statistical consequence of them, and likely why the initial poster mentioned it.

119. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:52 PM (#4125518)
I never heard of hitting a players because they were viewed as a hot dog or arrogant.

The prosecution rests. Your witness.

Not only don't hitters consent to getting intentionally plunked other than, at best, in retaliation for something they personally did (*), a private business doesn't have the authority to set up contests and atmospheres where assaults are consented to. (Boxing is, of course, excepted as it's licensed and regulated by the state.) Could I set up a bar and have a "custom" develop where the customers can punch other patrons in the face if they don't like the songs the patron played on the jukebox, and thereby have it deemed that the customer who played five bucks worth of Nickelback "consented" to being punched in the face?

Of course not.

Fanboyism is popping its head out of the weeds again.

(*) And even that's a big stretch.
   120. McCoy Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:54 PM (#4125519)
Roadhouse
   121. SoSH U at work Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:55 PM (#4125520)
Could I set up a bar and have a "custom" develop where the customers can punch other patrons in the face if they don't like the songs the patron played on the jukebox, and thereby have it deemed that the customer who played Nickelback "consented" to being punched in the face?

In a just world you could.

122. Xander Posted: May 07, 2012 at 02:56 PM (#4125524)
Is there a material difference between listening to five bucks worth of Nickelback and being punched in the face?
   123. Rants Mulliniks Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:01 PM (#4125528)
He was charged with an earned run for a HBP? That's news to me.

That aside, the fact that there was a penalty applied does not somehow automatically make it within the "scope of the sport". If harper had in return walked out to the mound, and taken Hamels' kneecaps out with his bat, he would have been ejected. That doesn't make it part of the scope of the sport either.

Since nobody has ever been hit intentionally before, I'm surprised the umps didn't have to get together to determine whether to award Harper the base or suspend the game and have security bar Hamels from leaving the park unitl the cops could get there.

If you guys are getting this up in the air over a pitch that hit a batter IN THE LOWER BACK, I'm surprised you aren't chaining yourself outside Gary Bettman's office in protest of fighting in hockey.
   124. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:04 PM (#4125530)
Harper's handled this like a pro, but that doesn't mean that Hamels should get off. It isn't that he's the first pitcher to intentionally hit a batter, but when you openly brag about doing it, it definitely ratchets it up a notch, and it can't be ignored without giving a green light to more crap like this.

And no, Zimmerman shouldn't be retroactively punished for retaliating. There was only one instigator in this incident----Hamels. I'd say 30 days should send the proper message.
   125. asdf1234 Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:05 PM (#4125531)
I giggled like an intoxicated hooker in Hutcheson's bedroom when Hamels referred to himself as a follower of "that old-school, prestigious way of baseball." I'm not sure which element is more prestigious, Hamels--drilling a teenaged Mormon with an addiction to eyeblack or happening to target one of the few major-leaguers with a haircut that makes your butt-part look good?
   126. Zipperholes Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:07 PM (#4125534)

What exactly did Harper do that pissed off Hamels? Did Harper complain about the strike zone previously in the series? Looks like Hamels hit Harper just because he thought he's a dick.
Hamels said it was just a "welcome to the big leagues" thing. He appears to have no problem with Harper.
   127. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:08 PM (#4125535)
Is Harper Mormon? That pretty much answers the "what'd he do to deserve it" questions right there, right?
   128. Rants Mulliniks Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:11 PM (#4125536)
For the record, I never said Hamels shouldn't get a suspension, but what he did is nothing compared to what Pedro or Bob Gibson did on a regular basis.
   129. Zach Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:14 PM (#4125537)
I just watched the MLB highlight clips of Harper, and I'm really impressed. Fantastic tools, plays hard, plays aggressive. He's a brash young kid, but who isn't at 19?
   130. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:21 PM (#4125541)
He's a brash young kid, but who isn't at 19?

Jason Heyward.
   131. Random Transaction Generator Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:27 PM (#4125550)
Is there a material difference between listening to five bucks worth of Nickelback and being punched in the face?

*golf clap*
   132. Morty Causa Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:32 PM (#4125554)
Do you think there is any context where throwing at a guy (sign stealing/retaliation for yoru guys getting hit/punishment for coming in spikes high on your second baseman, etc.) is acceptable?

That's why there is third-party authority.
   133. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:32 PM (#4125555)
127. Sam Hutcheson is the Rickey Henderson of... Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:08 PM (#4125535)
Is Harper Mormon? That pretty much answers the "what'd he do to deserve it" questions right there, right?

Blatant bigotry on BBTF? Again? I'm shocked.

134. Morty Causa Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:36 PM (#4125559)
But almost no pitcher can control the pitch every single time. If you're trying to make a pitch 4 inches off the inside corner, sometimes it's going to be 12 inches inside, and the batter's getting hit if he doesn't move.

Even if that is so, it then comes down to who you give deference to--I go with the victim. Someone has to bear the burden. Maybe there's a way he can exempt himself, but if he can't, tough. The opposite is to impose responsibility on he who has no control of the matter at all.
   135. ?Donde esta Dagoberto Campaneris? Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:36 PM (#4125560)
a private business doesn't have the authority to set up contests and atmospheres where assaults are consented to.

How much cooler would Karate Kid have been if, instead of winning the tournament (which would be illegal as well under your standard) Daniel went to law school and got some of the lesser Cobra Kai to sue and have the dojo shut down? About as cool as Nickelback I would think.

Could I set up a bar and have a "custom" develop where the customers can punch other patrons in the face if they don't like the songs the patron played on the jukebox, and thereby have it deemed that the customer who played five bucks worth of Nickelback "consented" to being punched in the face?

If that becomes a "sport" in view of the relevant court, such that all parties are familiar with gameplay and the potential consequences of same, you'd probably be just fine. Until then the question is irrelevant.

As noted, I'm fairly sure jury nullification would cover that particular scenario in any case.

Are reach-ins in basketball- where the defender strikes the ball-handler- actionable in pick-up games? No state license (which is irrelevant of course), clearly outside the rules of the game, clearly a battery in any other context. Why isn't that actionable?

Nobody on this thread invoking "assault" actually believes the argument; they're just trolling.

I know that... now.

Anyway, the question does get asked (particularly about boxing and UFC) in good-faith fairly frequently. The primary point is that the game rules aren't the legal standard as we expect rules to be broken in all sports.
   136. Wins Above Paul Westerberg Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:38 PM (#4125564)
Wasn't Delmon Young intentionally hit in his first major league at-bat? I think I remember that. He was playing the White Sox, and Ozzie/Freddie Garcia wanted to show him a lesson for that minor league bat incident. Then Delmon homered off Garcia later that game.

Hopefully that's where the similarities end for Harper.
   137. Morty Causa Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:41 PM (#4125568)
And pitchers should get the benefit of the doubt.

I disagree. B. of d. should go to the injured party.
   138. Morty Causa Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:44 PM (#4125570)
It's assault. Players only consent to physical contact that the rules of the game allow and baseball players consent to getting hit by pitches by accident. Hamels's assault was no more justified than if he'd gone up to Harper in the on-deck circle and punched him in the face. That would have "welcomed" him to the big leagues, too.

No one has consented to being hit--not by implication, and it's against the rules. It's about what should be presumed at the outset.
   139. Morty Causa Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:47 PM (#4125574)
Nobody on this thread invoking "assault" actually believes the argument; they're just trolling.

Anyone who falls back on that canard is trolling.
   140. Morty Causa Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:52 PM (#4125579)
Harper's handled this like a pro, but that doesn't mean that Hamels should get off. It isn't that he's the first pitcher to intentionally hit a batter, but when you openly brag about doing it, it definitely ratchets it up a notch, and it can't be ignored without giving a green light to more crap like this.

Many here have something to this effect. That just encourages deceit, which flies in the face of the first organizing principle of games and sporting events. Very Darwinian, though--Robert Trivers is amused and justified:

The Folly of Fools
   141. Morty Causa Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:58 PM (#4125586)
Arguing that being thrown at is implicit in the nature of the competition is like arguing that umpire should call it a strike if it is close enough to call, and if it's close enough to call, it's close enough to swing. That's not an objective rule. The rule is that you cannot throw at a batter. When a better is hit, then, what should be presumed--if you say it should be presumed that the pitcher didn't throw at him intentionally, or with reckless disregard, then you just handed him a loaded pistol and said make 'em dance, cowboys.
   142. Srul Itza Posted: May 07, 2012 at 03:59 PM (#4125588)
That just encourages deceit, which flies in the face of the first organizing principle of games and sporting events

For baseball, the first organizing principle is "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't competin'".

If you disagree, then you obviously do not know, do not understand, and/or do not like professional baseball, and should take your trollery to some other site.
   143. Bug Selig Posted: May 07, 2012 at 04:13 PM (#4125596)
The rule is that you cannot throw at a batter.

No, the rule is that you can not intentionally throw at a batter. For some perspective, which seems absolutely necessary here (in the absence of Pamprin), the umpire MAY choose to eject the pitcher if he judges that there was intent. For comparison, if he carries on his person a foreign substance, he is automatically ejected and suspended 10 games.

The lords of the game apparently don't think it's a big deal.

144. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 07, 2012 at 04:22 PM (#4125603)
The Phillies' biggest problem this year is that they haven't played with enough edge and swagger. If Hamels's edgy, swaggery move doesn't work, maybe they can whip out some new, all-black uniforms.
   145. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: May 07, 2012 at 04:27 PM (#4125606)
The lords of the game apparently don't think it's a big deal.

Ah, appeal to authority. That makes it all better I suppose. And considering an ejection is the ultimate penalty an umpire may affect upon a player, I don't even see how it applies.
   146. Bug Selig Posted: May 07, 2012 at 04:34 PM (#4125615)
No one has consented to being hit--not by implication, and it's against the rules.

Of course they have. There are only so many possible outcomes of an at-bat, and a HPB is one of which every batter is aware. When the rules codify exactly what the penalty is for an action, how can you argue that the action isn't within the normal course of play?

Also against the rules, and so, presumably criminal: Mingling with spectators, warming up a pitcher while on the DL, stepping out of the batters box at will, being hit by a batted ball, runing outside the 3 foot line, intentionally dropping a fly ball, wearing a uniform that does not conform with teammates...
   147. Bug Selig Posted: May 07, 2012 at 04:38 PM (#4125619)
Ah, appeal to authority. That makes it all better I suppose. And considering an ejection is the ultimate penalty an umpire may affect upon a player, I don't even see how it applies.

You are aware of the effect that the word "MAY" has on the rest of the sentence, right?

When people argue that something is so far out of the normal course of play that it becomes criminal, the relevance of how it is treated in the rules is obvious, even to the intentionally obtuse.
   148. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: May 07, 2012 at 04:53 PM (#4125634)
Also against the rules, and so, presumably criminal: Mingling with spectators, warming up a pitcher while on the DL, stepping out of the batters box at will, being hit by a batted ball, runing outside the 3 foot line, intentionally dropping a fly ball, wearing a uniform that does not conform with teammates...

Not presumably criminal because none of those things are crimes. Intentionally throwing a baseball 90 mph at someone from 60 feet, 6 inches away, intending to hit them with the ball, OTOH, is.(*) The laws of civilized society do not permit intentionally hitting other people, with some exceptions -- self defense, etc. -- none of which apply here.

(*) It's also a tort and had Hamels hit Harper in the face, Harper could rightly sue for the damages he sustained. Here, Harper wasn't really damaged, so the assault will pass without incident. Of course, had that happened Hamels would not have admitted the crime/tort, making proof very difficult.
   149. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 07, 2012 at 05:04 PM (#4125648)
C'mon, Cole. You should have kept pounding the corner. Gotten him to chase one outside.
   150. Lassus Posted: May 07, 2012 at 05:28 PM (#4125671)
Jason Heyward.

No will throw at him, they're afraid they might kill him.
   151. The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season Posted: May 07, 2012 at 05:43 PM (#4125680)
The five game suspension Hamels got isn't enough, since he ADMITTED he did it, and Harper had done absolutely nothing to merit this. Had Bryce come in hard to second or admired a home run too long, that's mitigating, at least. But "welcome to the big leagues" = 10 games.
   152. Morty Causa Posted: May 07, 2012 at 05:50 PM (#4125684)
Yep.

Real pointless gangsta--not gangster--sh!t.

See Rizzo story. Now, someone really might get hurt. To get out of the tribal feuding is why the law was invented.
   153. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: May 07, 2012 at 05:54 PM (#4125686)
No will throw at him, they're afraid they might kill him.

*nod*
   154. Zipperholes Posted: May 07, 2012 at 06:07 PM (#4125701)
To get out of the tribal feuding is why the law was invented.
I'm not sure abolishing the law isn't the way to go. Apparently they've all subscribed to this macho nonsense. If they want to make their own rules and police themselves, let them.
   155. staring out the window and waiting for fenderbelly Posted: May 07, 2012 at 06:09 PM (#4125703)
It would be kind of awesome if Craig Biggio was the Elliot Ness (or Eliot Spitzer?) of baseball and had sent a couple of hundred pitchers to prison for assault. Either that or made twice his salary in civil lawsuits.

Quit playing lawyerball indeed.
   156. JE (Jason) Posted: May 07, 2012 at 06:13 PM (#4125707)
Never mind.
   157. mex4173 Posted: May 07, 2012 at 07:45 PM (#4125777)
If Harper was getting a generous strike zone, shouldn't Hamels be throwing at the ump?
   158. AJMcCringleberry Posted: May 07, 2012 at 07:52 PM (#4125780)
Harper is quickly becoming one of my favorite players.
   159. Bob Tufts Posted: May 07, 2012 at 08:18 PM (#4125797)
I was never asked to throw at anyone nor was I in any situation where retaliation was in any way appropriate.

I'm very anti-intentional hitting of batters - part of it is my background growing up in Boston and remembering what happened to Tony Conigliaro.
   160. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: May 07, 2012 at 08:24 PM (#4125811)
Thanks for the insight Bob.

161. CrosbyBird Posted: May 07, 2012 at 08:59 PM (#4125850)
If Harper was getting a generous strike zone, shouldn't Hamels be throwing at the ump?

That would probably be worth a 1-2 game suspension.
   162. PreservedFish Posted: May 07, 2012 at 09:27 PM (#4125894)
Just checking in to say that the clip of Harper taking the extra base on Pierre on an absolutely routine single is totally awesome.
   163. bobm Posted: May 07, 2012 at 11:03 PM (#4126040)
[136] Wasn't Delmon Young intentionally hit in his first major league at-bat? I think I remember that. He was playing the White Sox, and Ozzie/Freddie Garcia wanted to show him a lesson for that minor league bat incident. Then Delmon homered off Garcia later that game.

From B-R:

From 1918 to 2012, In first 1 games, (requiring HBP>=1), sorted by most recent date
Games found: 119. Selected players:

Gcar                  Player          Date  Tm Opp    Rslt PA AB R H HR RBI BB SO HBP BOP Pos. Summary
1            Yoenis Cespedes    2012-03-28 OAK SEA  L  1-3  4  3 0 1  0   0  0  2   1   7           CF
1              Jesus Montero    2011-09-01 NYY BOS  W  4-2  5  4 1 0  0   0  0  1   1   7           DH
1          Fernando Martinez    2009-05-26 NYM WSN  W  6-1  4  3 0 0  0   1  0  2   1   6           RF
1           Asdrubal Cabrera    2007-08-08 CLE CHW  L  4-6  5  3 1 0  0   0  0  1   1   9        2B 3B
1      Jarrod Saltalamacchia    2007-05-02 ATL PHI  W  4-3  4  2 0 0  0   0  1  0   1   7            C

1               Hunter Pence    2007-04-28 HOU MIL  W 10-1  4  3 1 1  0   0  0  1   1   6           CF
1                Alex Gordon    2007-04-02 KCR BOS  W  7-1  4  3 0 0  0   0  0  2   1   5           3B
1                Scott Moore    2006-09-04 CHC PIT  L  4-5  1  0 1 0  0   0  0  0   1   9           PH
1               Delmon Young    2006-08-29 TBD CHW L  9-12  4  3 2 2  1   2  0  1   1   8           RF
1           Chad Billingsley    2006-06-15 LAD SDP  W  7-3  2  1 0 1  0   2  0  0   1   9            P

1              Kenji Johjima    2006-04-03 SEA LAA  L  4-5  4  3 1 1  1   1  0  0   1   7            C
1             Joey Gathright    2004-06-25 TBD FLA  W  2-0  4  3 1 0  0   0  0  1   1   2           CF
1                  Cody Ross    2003-07-04 DET KCR  L  8-9  3  2 0 0  0   0  0  0   1   7           RF
1                Eric Byrnes    2000-08-22 OAK CLE L  6-14  5  4 2 2  0   0  0  0   1   7           DH
1            A.J. Pierzynski    1998-09-09 MIN ANA L  8-10  2  1 1 0  0   0  0  0   1   8            C

1               Dmitri Young    1996-08-29 STL FLA L  9-10  5  4 1 1  0   0  0  0   1   7           1B
1            F.P. Santangelo    1995-08-02 MON FLA  L  6-7  4  3 1 2  0   1  0  0   1   8           LF
1             Stan Jefferson 1986-09-07(1) NYM SDP  W  7-1  5  4 2 1  0   0  0  2   1   1           CF
1            Oddibe McDowell    1985-05-19 TEX CHW  L  1-5  4  3 0 0  0   0  0  3   1   1           CF
1             Ron Washington    1977-09-10 LAD CIN  L  4-7  1  0 1 0  0   0  0  0   1   2           SS

1                   Jim Rice    1974-08-19 BOS CHW  W  6-1  4  2 0 0  0   1  0  0   1   6           DH
1                Bobby Bonds    1968-06-25 SFG LAD  W  9-0  4  3 1 1  1   4  0  1   1   7        CF RF
1               George Scott    1966-04-12 BOS BAL  L  4-5  6  4 1 1  0   1  1  1   1   5           3B
1                    Al Weis    1962-09-15 CHW WSA  L  1-3  4  2 0 0  0   0  1  1   1   7           SS
1          Choo-Choo Coleman    1961-04-16 PHI SFG  L  2-5  1  0 0 0  0   0  0  0   1   9           PH

1             Roy Campanella    1948-04-20 BRO NYG  W  7-6  1  0 0 0  0   0  0  0   1   8            C
1               Eddie Stanky    1943-04-21 CHC PIT  L  0-6  4  3 0 0  0   0  0  0   1   2           2B
1               Tony Lazzeri    1926-04-13 NYY BOS W 12-11  6  4 1 1  0   1  1  0   1   6           2B

164. bobm Posted: May 07, 2012 at 11:12 PM (#4126051)
From B-R Play Index:

For single seasons, From 1901 to 2012, During first season , sorted by greatest Hit By Pitch

Rk            Player HBP Year Age  Tm Lg   G  PA   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS     Pos
1       Charlie Babb  22 1903  30 NYG NL 121 502 .248 .350 .321 .671    *6/5
2     David Eckstein  21 2001  26 ANA AL 153 664 .285 .355 .357 .712    *64D
3       Reed Johnson  20 2003  26 TOR AL 114 457 .294 .353 .427 .780  *97/8D
3     Frank Robinson  20 1956  20 CIN NL 152 667 .290 .379 .558 .936    *7/8
5      Heinie Manush  17 1923  21 DET AL 108 357 .334 .406 .471 .877   *7/89

6       Bert Daniels  16 1910  27 NYY AL  95 421 .253 .356 .343 .699  *7/853
7      Jason Kendall  15 1996  22 PIT NL 130 471 .300 .372 .401 .773      *2
8      Mark Teixeira  14 2003  23 TEX AL 146 589 .259 .331 .480 .811 *3579/D
8     Ed Fitzpatrick  14 1915  25 BSN NL 105 374 .221 .344 .304 .648   *49/8
8    Whitey Alperman  14 1906  26 BRO NL 128 487 .252 .284 .338 .622   *46/5
8    Ike Rockenfield  14 1905  28 SLB AL  95 405 .217 .340 .255 .595      *4
8        Doc Gessler  14 1903  22 TOT ML  78 306 .243 .331 .347 .679    *9/8

13       Alex Gordon  13 2007  23 KCR AL 151 601 .247 .314 .411 .725   *53/6
13     Kenji Johjima  13 2006  30 SEA AL 144 542 .291 .332 .451 .783      *2
13       Ryan Doumit  13 2005  24 PIT NL  75 257 .255 .324 .398 .722   *2/D9
13      Jeff Bagwell  13 1991  23 HOU NL 156 650 .294 .387 .437 .824      *3
13          Ron Hunt  13 1963  22 NYM NL 143 600 .272 .334 .396 .730    *4/5
13      Bill Collins  13 1910  28 BSN NL 151 656 .241 .308 .291 .599    *798

19        Roy Foster  12 1970  24 CLE AL 139 545 .268 .357 .468 .824     *79
19      George Burns  12 1914  21 DET AL 137 544 .291 .351 .389 .740      *3

21     Manny Jimenez  11 1962  23 KCA AL 139 528 .301 .354 .428 .782    *7/9
21     Tex Wisterzil  11 1914  26 BTT FL 149 595 .257 .314 .328 .642      *5
21    Amby McConnell  11 1908  25 BOS AL 140 562 .279 .343 .335 .678    *4/6

24     Jason Heyward  10 2010  20 ATL NL 142 623 .277 .393 .456 .849      *9
24     Marty Cordova  10 1995  25 MIN AL 137 579 .277 .352 .486 .839     *78
24      Johnny Bates  10 1906  23 BSN NL 140 559 .252 .315 .349 .664    *8/7
24      Roy Hartzell  10 1906  24 SLB AL 113 443 .213 .266 .230 .496   *5/64
24      Fred Crolius  10 1901  24 BSN NL  49 222 .240 .306 .285 .591    *9/8
   165. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: May 08, 2012 at 11:45 AM (#4126325)
Wow, Sam, you're even more wrong about Bryce Harper than you are about politics. I literally did not think this was possible.
   166. Xander Posted: May 08, 2012 at 12:01 PM (#4126351)
If Harper was offered a 10-year, $100M contract tomorrow, would he sign it?
   167. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: May 08, 2012 at 12:15 PM (#4126365)
If Harper was offered a 10-year, $100M contract tomorrow, would he sign it?

Make it 8/100, and I think he does.
   168. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: May 08, 2012 at 12:34 PM (#4126387)
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Jim Wisinski
for his generous support.