Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, January 13, 2012

College Football: Postseason Thread

Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn) Posted: January 13, 2012 at 07:22 AM | 892 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: community, steroids

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 9 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. Kurt Posted: January 26, 2012 at 06:29 PM (#4046586)
Rich. Kotite.

We tried hawd. Gave a good effuht. I'm frustrated. We're *all* frustrated.
   102. DA Baracus Posted: January 26, 2012 at 06:58 PM (#4046610)
Remember that story about the Yale QB who decided to pass on the Rhodes Scholarship interview to play against Harvard?

Turns out he never had the choice, he was no longer a candidate.
   103. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: January 26, 2012 at 07:48 PM (#4046661)
Phil Knight, not exactly winning the oration of the year award...

"This much is clear to me: If there is a villain in this tragedy, it lies in that investigation and not in Joe Paterno's response," Knight said.
   104. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 26, 2012 at 07:49 PM (#4046664)
I think Rutgers would be foolish to not at least approach Mario Cristobal, he is a hot prospect with ties to the program and Schiano and would be a good bet to keep the Florida pipeline going that Schiano established

Really good call. The other interesting name I saw mentioned last page was Bradley, but I think you're right, Cristobal should be the number 1 target for the program.

Man, it's surprising to see Schiano leave. He's been around forever, at least relative to the other Big East coaches. And they had a young team coming off of a 9 win season and a breakthrough recruiting class coming in. Seemed like the real culmination of what he built was a couple of years away. But I would guess NFL jobs don't come around very often. He is still leaving behind a very impressive legacy.

This makes...Doug Marrone the longest tenured Big East coach, at three years. Wow. The MAC keeps coaches around longer.
   105. Howie Menckel Posted: January 26, 2012 at 08:26 PM (#4046705)

SI's Peter King has recently been touting Schiano as NFL head coaching material, which strikes most as bizarre.

The Bucs seem like the sort of team that figures, "Hey, we have no idea what we're doing, and King seems pretty connected, and if nothing else we'll likely get a tip of the cap from a big SI guy."

I'm kidding.
Wait, am I kidding?
   106. DA Baracus Posted: January 26, 2012 at 08:38 PM (#4046715)
SI's Peter King has recently been touting Schiano as NFL head coaching material, which strikes most as bizarre.

He touted him because Belichick is always praising him. When he's not spouting that whatever happened this week is the new new thing, King regurgitates what coaches feed him. For example you would think he was a Shanahan family member the way he talked up John Beck in the off-season.
   107. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: January 26, 2012 at 09:12 PM (#4046758)
103-The Onion says Sandusky was there. Ouch!
   108. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 26, 2012 at 09:31 PM (#4046787)
Cristobal is the favorite on scarletnation board right now. I would also be ok with promoting cignetti
or hiring Toal from Don Bosco
   109. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 26, 2012 at 09:36 PM (#4046795)
I would also be ok with promoting cignetti

If this keeps the recruits on board, that wouldn't be a bad move. IIRC, Pitt considered him the successor to Wannestadt before they canned the Stache.
   110. Howie Menckel Posted: January 26, 2012 at 09:46 PM (#4046807)

"I would also be ok with promoting cignetti or hiring Toal from Don Bosco"

Is Toal willing to take a pay cut?

#jerseyjoke

111. smileyy Posted: January 26, 2012 at 09:52 PM (#4046814)
[107] I don't know if I've ever seen the Onion be drier.
   112. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM (#4046872)
Schiano has had more than a few opportunities to take huge jobs in college. He turned down Michigan (allegedly) a few years ago. Miami and maybe another major program. You don't do that unless you were holding out for Penn State or the NFL. If you read between the lines, he had built more than casual relations with NFL staffs. NFL teams have guys on campus watching tape pretty much all season. You then talk to NFL HCs during the draft process, etc....

113. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM (#4046882)
Read the Patrick Witt story. Yale is notorious for under reporting campus crime.

Yale is located in city with the highest crime, by far, in the Ivy League. Safety can be a huge deal breaker when choosing schools and the competition for the best is off the charts when you compare applicants for the big three HYP. Yale in the 80s and 90s struggled to overcome increased crime in New Haven and on and near campus, then suddenly the rate dropped to a level that put Yale at the top, safest campus in the Ivy League. Naturally competitors charged Yale was under reporting campus crimes....sure enough there has been evidence indicating this is the case.

Add Patrick Witt's accusations to this list. The media was completely snookered and hoodwinked on this story back in November.
   114. DA Baracus Posted: January 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM (#4046887)
Yale is located in city with the highest crime, by far, in the Ivy League.

This didn't seem right, but holy ####, it's true.
   115. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 26, 2012 at 11:09 PM (#4046890)

Sure, if you overlook UPenn and Columbia.

New York has a lower crime rate than New Haven, esp Manhattan. Ditto Philly.

Why do you just sit there and shoot from the hip and make up stuff?
   116. DA Baracus Posted: January 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM (#4046892)
UPenn and Columbia are in bad parts of the city, hence my initial reaction.

Why do you just sit there and shoot from the hip and make up stuff?

Why not, you do it.
   117. Howie Menckel Posted: January 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM (#4046905)
Don't know if it's still true, but a few years back Chicago had more murders than NYC, which is amazing since 4 of NYC's 5 boroughs are bigger than all of Chicago, iirc.

118. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM (#4046906)
UPenn is not in a bad part of the city. Even if you go west of campus into West Philadelphia, where I used to live, the area is rapidly gentrifying. Penn funds the Sadie Tannell Mosser Alexander School, a magnet school that has become one of the most desirable schools in the city. Moreover, Penn offers cheap home loans to faculty and staff purchasing houses in the area. So the whole area between Walnut and Baltimore west to about 48th street has seen a lot of renovation. Even if you go into the traditionally minority area farther west, that's not really the high crime area of the city, which is a bit more to the NW.

You can find a crime map of Philadelphia here.
   119. DA Baracus Posted: January 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM (#4046909)
UPenn is not in a bad part of the city.

It might be regentriying now, but I don't recall it being that good I was in the area. I'm not saying it's Camden or anything.
   120. DA Baracus Posted: January 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM (#4046916)
Here is your misleading headline of the week.

Oh damn, they changed it, but the url still has it. "Mark Richt Goes to Jail to Meet Top Football Prospect."
   121. Squash Posted: January 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM (#4046932)
[107] I don't know if I've ever seen the Onion be drier.

I don't know if they've ever been more brutal. Bravo!
   122. William Satterwhite Posted: January 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM (#4046940)
Here is your misleading headline of the week.

Oh damn, they changed it, but the url still has it. "Mark Richt Goes to Jail to Meet Top Football Prospect."

They just jumped the gun a bit, UGA kids always wait until they get into school before getting arrested.
   123. DA Baracus Posted: January 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM (#4046942)
They just jumped the gun a bit, UGA kids always wait until they get into school before getting arrested.

I had a similar thought.
   124. William Satterwhite Posted: January 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM (#4046948)
But does Mario realize his own value is pretty high and if things break right, he might be able to do much better in a year or two in a better conference?

Considering all of the turnover at major programs over the last couple off-seasons, are there really any jobs out there that could potentially open in the next 2-3 years that could be considered better positions than the program Schiano is leaving behind?
   125. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM (#4046949)
Don't know if it's still true, but a few years back Chicago had more murders than NYC, which is amazing since 4 of NYC's 5 boroughs are bigger than all of Chicago, iirc.

Without even looking I don't think any NYC borough is bigger than Chicago, let alone 4 of them. Unless Chicago fell below 2.5 million. Brooklyn is around that size. But the point is NYC is a lot safer than Chicago and that is indeed true.

New Orleans and DC probably have more total murders than NYC, or at least pre-katrina.
   126. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM (#4046953)
UPenn and Columbia are in bad parts of the city, hence my initial reaction.

This was another lie. Someone explained Philly.

Columbia is in a safe part of NYC. It is indeed in a higher crime area of Manhattan, but only relative to the rest of Manhattan, which is exceptionally safe.

I called you out on making up lies, I'd appreciate if you would do the same for me instead of being a lemming.
   127. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: January 27, 2012 at 01:15 AM (#4046962)
Someone claimed morning side heights was dangerous, let alone more dangerous than New Haven? Man, that's stupider than one of the patented "Alabama's defense is better than half the NFL's" rants. Good times.
   128. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 07:10 AM (#4047000)
West Philadelphia, where I used to live

Until you moved in with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air?
   129. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 07:12 AM (#4047002)
Exactly Cowboy. Cignetti is the guy to hire if your #1 concern is preserving the recruiting class. However, such short term thinking about such an important hiring decision might not be wise. I honestly haven no idea if Cigs would make a good head coach or not, but I would certainly consider him.
   130. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 07:13 AM (#4047003)
It's too bad this didn't happen a little earlier. We could have gotten Rich Rodriguez!
   131. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 07:13 AM (#4047004)
I hear Schiano only took the job once he was assured of a waiver from the NFL so he could schedule Army and Grambling St.
   132. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 07:20 AM (#4047007)
Is Toal willing to take a pay cut?

#jerseyjoke

This is funny, but I wonder how much he actually makes. I know it's Bosco but it's still a high school. Maybe, what, $150,000? I know he interviewed for Fordham's job a little while back, so I'm guessing he'd jump at the chance, but it would be a huge risk to hire someone with zero experience in college ball. Had he gotten the Fordham job and done that for a couple of years, he might be perfect.

Bleh, headline from the ledger today..."Rutgers may lose Don Bosco's Darius Hamilton as Greg Schiano leaves for Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

At least hiring his coach would change that, I bet.
   133. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 07:21 AM (#4047009)
046962)
Someone claimed morning side heights was dangerous, let alone more dangerous than New Haven? Man, that's stupider than one of the patented "Alabama's defense is better than half the NFL's" rants. Good times.

Two mild upsets for ya...NYC is much safer than New Haven, but New Haven has better pizza.

134. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 27, 2012 at 08:21 AM (#4047023)
Is it not common knowledge that New Haven (along with most of the rest of the cities in Connecticut) is depressed and crime-ridden?

I've lived in University City / West Philly, I've hung out with friends in Morningside Heights and downtown New Haven, and there's no question where the crime risk is higher. You take way more precautions going out at night in New Haven than the other two.

On pizza, while it's true that Sal's and Pepe's are awesome, we are experiencing a Great Pizza Leveling. Sometime about five to ten years ago, a whole bunch of American chefs learned what real Neapolitan pizza is, and started reproducing it. Now you can get great pizza in at least one or two places in a whole bunch of cities. There's still something special about Sal's, something special about DiFara's (watching the man hand-make every single pie at DiFara's is a legitimate occasion for a pilgrimage), but the growth of real Neapolitan means that the best places aren't that much better than that new really good place in Boston or Philly.
   135. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 08:26 AM (#4047025)
Boston...eh. Who is making authentic neapolitan pies there? Posto in Davis Square? They were not very good. I definitely love me some Regina's (Thacher Street only), but Neapolitan it ain't.

I hear what you're saying, though. It's definitely easier to find good pizza outside of the "pizza belt" than it used to be.
   136. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 27, 2012 at 08:30 AM (#4047029)
Picco in the south end is the one I was thinking of. I was kind of hoping another good place had opened in town, probably in Cambridge, in the two years since I've lived there, but I was only thinking of Picco.
   137. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 08:38 AM (#4047034)
I never made it to Picco. I actually heard they had great homemade hot fudge on their ice cream sundaes.
   138. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: January 27, 2012 at 09:21 AM (#4047056)
I went to a good pizza place some time in the early 2000's. I remember it being maybe in the South End (maybe not) and being run by an Italian family that apparently rooted for the Yankees. They had photos of Joe DiMaggio, Rizzuto and other Yankee legends all over the place. Does anyone know what I'm talking about. Otherwise, dear lord, pizza in Boston is pretty bad. There's decent Indian food though.
   139. jmurph Posted: January 27, 2012 at 09:46 AM (#4047087)
There is great pizza. Everywhere, in every city. Full stop. I haven't lived in Boston in more than a decade, or even visited in 2 or 3 years, but it's just not true that there isn't good pizza in Boston. I'm sure the places I ate at frequently in college are gone by now, so I won't bother to name them (I went to that most beloved of safety schools, BU), but come on guys. Is it possible you're just not that into pizza? I also prefer neapolitan style (I visited Rome, Florence, Naples, and the Amalfi coast over the past two years and literally ate it twice a day, every day. I'm essentially a child), and I'll concede Boston isn't great on that front, but I love the greasy crap too. It's all good.
   140. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 09:50 AM (#4047093)
I wouldn't say Pizza in Boston is bad, at least not anymore. It's bad out at the random Greek Drunk Food slice joints in Allston/Brighton, but there are many good places. Bostone, Ernesto's, Pinnochio's, Galleria Umberto, Santarpio's, just to name a few. Upper Crust is good if uneven. Always liked the brick oven pizzas at Antico Forno as well.

I LOVE pizza and I'm from the NY/NJ area, and if you ask me, now consigned to the pizzaless waste land of Western Maine, what pizza I'm craving on any particular day it will be one of three 1)Star Tavern in Orange, NJ, 2)Sally's in New Haven, or 3)Well done, stretched pepperoni pie at Regina's in Boston.
   141. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: January 27, 2012 at 09:51 AM (#4047097)
There is great pizza. Everywhere, in every city.

This is just not true. And I offer you St. Louis as evidence.
   142. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 10:01 AM (#4047109)
Ditto Bangor, ME.
   143. jmurph Posted: January 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM (#4047114)
This is just not true. And I offer you St. Louis as evidence.

Alright I'll admit I've not actually had pizza in every city in america, but there must be something there, even if it's NY style.

WJ: If I'm remembering correctly you live in Farmington? Is that right? I lived in Wilton as a kid, I think we conversed about that years ago. I'm pretty sure when I was a kid I thought the crap at convenience stores was amazing, so I'm afraid I have no recommendations for you. There is now a handful of great places in Portland, which is cool. Haven't been in a little bit.
   144. jmurph Posted: January 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM (#4047118)
I mean it's pizza! I've had great pizza in Georgia and Louisiana for crying out loud, in places no italian has ever set foot.

Sorry, I admit I'm ridiculous on this front, though I now know what I'll be doing for lunch today.
   145. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM (#4047121)
jmurph,
That's right, I remember. Yes, Portland has Otto, which is AWESOME. Augusta just got a "coal oven" place but if they actually use a coal oven i'd be shocked. Pizza was crap.

Honestly, some of the convenience stores are the best options around here. Douin's Market where Rt. 2 and 27 meet in New Sharon, is much better than the actual pizzeria in Farmington, OR Amato's.

146. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM (#4047124)
Let me say again how much I hate Amato's. Hate it. Hate the "italians." Hate the pizza. Hate it all. Garbage. Though, I guess their plain red sauce is pretty decent as a jarred sauce option.

147. jmurph Posted: January 27, 2012 at 10:18 AM (#4047139)
Way too far for you, but Finelli in Ellsworth is solid. Ahh, and according to google, there appears to be a takeout-only branch in Bangor now.
   148. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM (#4047146)
Is it possible you're just not that into pizza?
If by "not that into" you mean, make a more significant distinction between good and bad pizza, then, yes. I love great pizza. I like good pizza, and I can enjoy bad pizza in the right situations. But great pizza is a special thing.
   149. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM (#4047160)
Rutgers commit Leonte Caroo is NOT taking his trip to Miami this weekend. Darius Hamilton still is.
   150. jmurph Posted: January 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM (#4047161)
If by "not that into" you mean, make a more significant distinction between good and bad pizza, then, yes. I love great pizza. I like good pizza, and I can enjoy bad pizza in the right situations. But great pizza is a special thing.

I was being snarky, no harm intended. I live in a city (DC) that people constantly rag on for not having good pizza, though there's a surprising amount of diversity here. Good neapolitan options, a couple of new New Haven style places, standard NY style delivery options, and a few unique ones (Vace in Cleveland Park is outstanding). The real problem with pizza in DC is the quantity, not the quality. Everyone knows and loves the handful of great places, so they're generally crowded.
   151. Kurt Posted: January 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM (#4047180)
New Orleans and DC probably have more total murders than NYC, or at least pre-katrina.

DC had about 100 homicides in 2011; it was the lowest total in 30 or 40 years. I'd be pretty surprised if NYC got under that.
   152. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM (#4047184)

Alright I'll admit I've not actually had pizza in every city in america, but there must be something there, even if it's NY style.

New York style pizza is not good pizza. Anywhere.
   153. Sam M. Posted: January 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM (#4047207)
Having gone to law school in New Haven 25 years ago, and having been back a few times in recent years, my own two cents worth is that there is no comparison between how safe it is now and then. Yale may have started to play games with reporting, but the environment around campus has also improved A LOT. There is a more vibrant energy, more open stores restaurants at night, and far more people on the streets. That doesn't mean it is safer than New York or Philly, but it is a better place to be out and about and go to school than it was when I was there in the mid-80s.

As for pizza, great then. Great now.
   154. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM (#4047228)
New York style pizza is not good pizza. Anywhere.

What utter crap. Random manhattan slice joint pizza is not good, but have you ever had DiFara? i'm guessing you've never been to Pizza Town USA or any other great New Jersey pizzeria, either. Any style of pizza is good if done well, even greek.
   155. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM (#4047231)
Hey Sam, what do you think of my prediction that Rutgers is headed for a Kragthorpian nightmare?
   156. DA Baracus Posted: January 27, 2012 at 11:22 AM (#4047234)
I called you out on making up lies, I'd appreciate if you would do the same for me instead of being a lemming.

This is too easy. If being mistaken is a "lie" then I direct you to post #81.

----------

So Mack Brown is already under contract 'til 2016, and he just got a 4 year extension. Makes sense to me.
   157. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM (#4047263)
Schiano signed for 5 years, $15 million. Not much of a raise.
   158. Sam M. Posted: January 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM (#4047351)
EDIT -- Double post.
   159. Sam M. Posted: January 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM (#4047353)
WJ -- I hope not, for the sake of the BE in general. Cristobal would not be Kragthorpe II, I don't think -- there's too much evidence of his solid recruiting ability, if nothing else. If they just promote from the current staff for the shirt-term hope of salvaging this year's recruiting class, then there's a definite risk of that, because that guy might just be the wrong person to sustain the program long-term, as Kragthorpe was here. (Note, tho, that he was not an internal hire, so that 's not what I'm saying. But Jurich did rush into that decision and blew it.)

IMHO, anyone who blasts Schiano is really unfair. Is this a tough blow to Rutgers? Sure. But he gave that program tremendous work, great success, and a lot more years than most coaches with his record would have. He didn't leave a week after signing day; the players he was recruiting have he chance to make a new choice. The guy made a career move he was more than entitled to make. It's nothing like Bobby Petrino, who literally interviewed for a new job every year he as at Louisville, lying to both the fans and the AD about his actions. Personally, I suspect he'll be a less-than-stellar NFL coach, but he's entitled to try.
   160. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM (#4047354)
The key to pizza is the sauce (well ok everything, but sauce is first). Sweet sauce is the enemy. The only meat that should be allowed on pizza comes from the pig - chicken, beef, and seafood are wonderful, but not on pizza.
   161. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: January 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM (#4047362)
Any style of pizza is good if done well, even greek.

Well as long as we acknowledge that Chicago-style pizza is not really pizza, then I'm fine with this idea. :)

Sweet sauce is the enemy.

I basically agree with this, except V&T's up by Columbia is pretty good and its sauce is definitely on the sweet side. Speaking of near Columbia, I really like Sal and Carmine's. The key there is the cheese is so good.
   162. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: January 27, 2012 at 01:04 PM (#4047409)
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

163. jmurph Posted: January 27, 2012 at 01:17 PM (#4047433)
Well as long as we acknowledge that Chicago-style pizza is not really pizza, then I'm fine with this idea. :)

This we can agree on. I don't even understand deep dish.
   164. DA Baracus Posted: January 27, 2012 at 01:21 PM (#4047445)
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

One of my clients has a pig (the result of a drunken impulse purchase) and we keep trying to get her to have a pig wrestling contest in her backyard. She says no one will win, but it would be damn hilarious.
   165. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: January 27, 2012 at 01:33 PM (#4047469)
On pizza, while it's true that Sal's and Pepe's are awesome, we are experiencing a Great Pizza Leveling. Sometime about five to ten years ago, a whole bunch of American chefs learned what real Neapolitan pizza is, and started reproducing it. Now you can get great pizza in at least one or two places in a whole bunch of cities. There's still something special about Sal's, something special about DiFara's (watching the man hand-make every single pie at DiFara's is a legitimate occasion for a pilgrimage), but the growth of real Neapolitan means that the best places aren't that much better than that new really good place in Boston or Philly.

Only idiots think that Neopolitan pizza is the ne plus ultra of pizza. Most of those "real Neopolitan" restaurants serve spongy junk to people like MCoA who get a hard-on from thinking they're eating something special.

Di Fara, while good, is no better than a dozen joints in Bergen Co.

EDIT: Picco pizza is fine. Not special. A good Regina pie is better. The sundaes at Picco are terrific, though, and they sell them to-go.
   166. Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn) Posted: January 27, 2012 at 01:55 PM (#4047496)
Only idiots think that Neopolitan pizza is the ne plus ultra of pizza. Most of those "real Neopolitan" restaurants serve spongy junk to people like MCoA who get a hard-on from thinking they're eating something special.

Did you drop your pacifier?
   167. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: January 27, 2012 at 02:47 PM (#4047554)

Is this a gibe at SwinefotheSenate?
   168. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 27, 2012 at 02:54 PM (#4047564)
Is it not common knowledge that New Haven (along with most of the rest of the cities in Connecticut) is depressed and crime-ridden?

No, this is not common knowledge. Most people in America think Connecticut is wealthy and white and that's about all they know. While CT is wealthy and white by most measures, you are dead on target that the urban areas in Connecticut are very run down and crime ridden. There are maybe four cities in CT over 100,000, three of them are crime ridden.

Hartford
New Haven
Bridgeport

only Stamford is safer than average. The safe parts are rather boring suburbs. At least New Haven does have some nightlife and quality dining. Bridgeport is a hell hole and Hartford is just guilty of being empty.
   169. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 27, 2012 at 02:58 PM (#4047567)

This is spot on.

Pizza Bianco in Phoenix is largely credited with the trend of Neapolitan growth. I've been there it is very good, but not much better than most other places that make the same style. That said, the Neapolitan style while the original, is not automatically the best.

"The great leveling" is really true of all food items across this country. It used to be impossible to find good cuts of meat outside of a top restaurant, now you can get great cuts just about everywhere.
   170. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 27, 2012 at 02:59 PM (#4047568)

Totally agree with this too!

Since most people are lemmings, you are going to get worship of this trend.
   171. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 27, 2012 at 03:09 PM (#4047577)
1)Star Tavern in Orange, NJ, 2)Sally's in New Haven,

I've been to Star, it is very good. Jersey has underrated pizza in general. To me there is a Jersey style and this is it. In New Haven the best pies are 1) Pepe's White Clam 2) Pepe Fresh Tomato 3) Modern - Sausage 4) Sally's Peperoni 5) Bar - Potato

Pizza Town in Jersey was dropped, that's solid NYC pizza. Probably even better Zeppole and Calzone.
   172. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 27, 2012 at 03:11 PM (#4047579)
Most of those "real Neopolitan" restaurants serve spongy junk to people like MCoA who get a hard-on from thinking they're eating something special.
Yeah, ok.

I guess I can clarify, as 'zop ridiculous reaction to my post, while mostly a function of his special 'zoptitude, was also partly a misreading of what I said. Nowhere did I say neapolitan was the ne plus ultra of pizza. My point was that good Neapolitan is popping up around the country in places that didn't have good pizza before. This trend is a good thing.

People who say that there are innumerable places in this other region that serve better pizza than the canonical great pizza joints are commonly the same people that feel the need to tell you that your taste is laughably underdeveloped. It's not terribly surprising 'zop is one of these people.
   173. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: January 27, 2012 at 03:34 PM (#4047595)
Anyone else brought up with the idea that one of the reasons NYC pizza and bagels are better than in other places is because the water that is used to make the bread is better? Always made sense to me as a youngster since I loved drinking NYC tap water and found tap water in any other place gross and close to undrinkable.
   174. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: January 27, 2012 at 03:46 PM (#4047607)
Anyone else brought up with the idea that one of the reasons NYC pizza and bagels are better than in other places is because the water that is used to make the bread is better? Always made sense to me as a youngster since I loved drinking NYC tap water and found tap water in any other place gross and close to undrinkable.

Couldn't that just be what you're used to? I live in the Chicago area and I'm on lake water, and I love it. My wife can't stomach it, and I don't really like tap water anywhere else.
   175. DA Baracus Posted: January 27, 2012 at 03:48 PM (#4047609)
as a youngster since I loved drinking NYC tap water and found tap water in any other place gross and close to undrinkable.

I would say "what's wrong with you" but we know that it's that you grew up loving NYC tap water.

(Yes, that was a joke. I feel the need to point that out in this thread.)
   176. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: January 27, 2012 at 03:48 PM (#4047610)
Couldn't that just be what you're used to? I live in the Chicago area and I'm on lake water, and I love it. My wife can't stomach it, and I don't really like tap water anywhere else

Oh definitely. I'm asking because it's quite possible it's NYC egotism combined with childhood credulity on my part.
   177. smileyy Posted: January 27, 2012 at 06:22 PM (#4047799)
[173] I find it implausible that (1) water conditions would have that much impact and (2) if they did, steps wouldn't be taken to replicate favorable water conditions elsewhere.

Edit: I grew up on mineral-heavy well-water. "City water" always tasted weird to me. I'm sure I never lacked for a micronutrient. Of course, my clothes were all rust-colored, but....
   178. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM (#4049191)
Looks like it is down to Christobal and interime head coach and current OL coach Kyle Flood for the Rutgers job.
   179. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM (#4049280)
I find it implausible that (1) water conditions would have that much impact and (2) if they did, steps wouldn't be taken to replicate favorable water conditions elsewhere.

I'm no water expert, but hard water or soft water maters in taste. I do not know if water hardness carries over to baking/cooking, it makes sense that it would. In beer, Bass was famous for hard water and Pilner Urquell soft water. It mattered there. It was only recently water hardness/softness could be recreated with precision by science.

Then you have the massive subject of water treatment, etc....which I have zero understanding of. Taste of NYC water might be more tied to this perhaps.
   180. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM (#4049283)
Devin Fuller to UCLA. That's going to be a mistake. He should have went to Arizona or Nebraska if he wanted to play QB, which he said he did. UCLA will run pro stuff for 4 years before Mora gets fired.
   181. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM (#4049290)
Devin Fuller to UCLA. That's going to be a mistake. He should have went to Arizona or Nebraska if he wanted to play QB, which he said he did. UCLA will run pro stuff for 4 years before Mora gets fired.

What pisses me off is almost every expert predicted Fuller to Rutgers last week before Schiano bolted.
   182. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM (#4049292)
Oh, and part of the reason Fuller picked UCLA over Arizona or Nebraska is that he apparently cares about academics.
   183. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM (#4049296)
Keith Sargent says Cristobal to Rutgers.
   184. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM (#4049304)
UCLA over Arizona or Nebraska

These schools and Rutgers can't be terribly different in academics.

The GS to Tampa timing couldn't have been worse. I see nobody is really ripping the NFL.....trust me, had Greg Schiano left Tampa for Rutgers during a critical point in the NFL schedule, say week 16, even if Tampa was 4-10, cry baby NFL fans would be eviscerating Rutgers.

Week 16 on a team that's going nowhere is less important than 6 days before signing day in college football. Way less important. In fact, week 16-17 in the NFL might be the least important regular season weeks in all of sports, even winning teams stop trying.
   185. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM (#4049312)
Phew! Bob Diaco was mentioned as a candidate early on. I think he's going to be a successful HC some day soon but I would prefer he wait another couple of years so ND is in better shape.
   186. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM (#4049314)
I definitely think of UCLA on a different level than AZ, Nebraska, or Rutgers, which are more like your generic big state research schools.

more bad news for Rutgers in that Tom Savage's appeal to the NCAA for a hardship transfer has been declined. So from looking like a QB stable of Savage, Fuller, Nova, Dodd, Ranking, Rutgers is now back to Nova and Dodd, and hoping Rankin at least keeps his commitment. Ouchies.

Maybe Cristobal can still land Darius Hamilton.
   187. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM (#4049317)
Oh, yes, and if I were Fuller I would have gone to Rich Rodriguez in Arizona. Seems like a no brainer, but UCLA (and Cal as well) are both recruiting well and look to be on the rise.
   188. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM (#4049324)
UCLA (and Cal as well) are both recruiting well and look to be on the rise.

UCLA has had many solid recruiting classes in recently memory, but nothing to show. I think they hired a moron in Mora and it is clear to me already he doesn't have a clue about college football. Of course we will all see.
   189. JJ1986 Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM (#4049333)
had Greg Schiano left Tampa for Rutgers during a critical point in the NFL schedule, say week 16, even if Tampa was 4-10

This sounds familiar.
   190. LionoftheSenate (Brewers v A's World Series) Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM (#4049339)
This sounds familiar.

Oh it is. Ripped from the headlines.
   191. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM (#4049341)
UCLA and Cal are reaping the benefits of USC's sanctions. Cal lost their recruiting ace to Washington who tripled his salary. I don't know if this is more than a short term bump - particularly if Stanford maintains their momentum.
   192. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM (#4049355)
It must be incredibly difficult for Cal to recruit as the consensus #4 school in the state (hell, they'd be hard pressed to beat Fresno most years). Funny, because as a university it blows USC and UCLA out of the water.
   193. Rear Admiral Piazza Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM (#4049360)
Yes, but football players go to schools because of tradition, beautiful women, good weather, and a culture that likes sports. Can't remember the last football player that cared about the linguistics department.

Cristobal is making a lateral move here.
   194. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM (#4049362)
Cristobal is making a lateral move here.

Utter horsepoop. Think about it for five seconds.
   195. TerpNats Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM (#4049368)
I live in a city (DC) that people constantly rag on for not having good pizza
I know the District has relatively few branches compared to Virginia and (especially) Maryland, but have you ever tried Ledo?
   196. Rear Admiral Piazza Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM (#4049369)
No, in a couple of years, the Big East will be a mid major conference, so it's not like it is a step up in that department. Rutgers' athletic department has overspent. The talent is better down in Florida. It's true, Rutgers has been better recently, but there's no reason for it to stay that way, nor is there any reason to think FIU can't do the same things against the same middle tier competitors.

The one clear plus is that it's a bigger market, and Cristobal can parlay it into a better job down the road more easily.
   197. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM (#4049372)
Can't remember the last football player that cared about the linguistics department.

Noam Chomsky invented the bubble screen while leading his intramural football squad at UPenn.
   198. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM (#4049376)
No, in a couple of years, the Big East will be a mid major conference, so it's not like it is a step up in that department. Rutgers' athletic department has overspent. The talent is better down in Florida. It's true, Rutgers has been better recently, but there's no reason for it to stay that way, nor is there any reason to think FIU can't do the same things against the same middle tier competitors.

Rutgers is the flagship state university of one of the top recruiting states in the country. FIU is in a nice recruiting area, but it is #5 in its own state. Hell, it's #2 in its own city. Rutgers athletic department has probably 3 times the budget as FIU's. FIU and Rutgers could be in the exact same conference and it would still not be a "lateral move. As it is, Rutgers plays in a BCS conference, and will for at least two more years, and nobody has any idea what is happening after that, you least of all.

And lest we forget, it's not like FIU plays in CUSA or the Mountain West. They play in the Sun Belt, which is to CUSA as CUSA is to the ACC.
   199. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM (#4049383)
A couple more things: FIU plays in a 20,000 seat "stadium" with an average attendance of 18,000. Rutgers plays in a modern, 50,000 seat stadium with an average attendance of 45,000. It's silly to suggest these programs are on the same level. Even the Big East's crappy bowl tie ins are far far better than the Sun Belt's.
   200. Rear Admiral Piazza Posted: January 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM (#4049389)
My point is that FIU is on the upswing, Rutgers on the downswing, in part because its conference will likely get demoted.

The talent around FIU is much better than it is around Rutgers. On the other hand, Rutgers has no competition in its own state for such players.

FIU is just building up its program, so its facilities will suck for the time being. Rutgers, on the other hand, is overextended, and won't be improving facilities any time soon.

It's a close call - hence it being a "lateral" move.
Page 2 of 9 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Don Malcolm
for his generous support.