Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, January 09, 2019

College student says she ‘felt harassed’ by Indians pitcher Trevor Bauer on Twitter

A Texas State University finance major hadn’t heard of Trevor Bauer when she chided the Cleveland Indians pitcher on Twitter over the weekend.

Days later, Nikki Giles told USA TODAY Sports she’s been reduced to tears by the barrage of responses from Bauer and some of his 135,000 followers. Giles said she’s reported the harassment to the Indians via the team’s official Facebook page and flagged three of Bauer’s tweets in a complaint to Twitter.

“It has definitely ruined my last three days,” Giles told USA TODAY Sports. “I have cried daily and called my family crying because the first 12-24 hours or so I was getting a lot of hate.”

The more and more I see of Twitter, the more and more I become convinced that it is naught but a hive of scum and villainy…..

QLE Posted: January 09, 2019 at 08:15 AM | 326 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: social media, trevor bauer, twitter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4
   301. JL72 Posted: January 11, 2019 at 11:49 AM (#5804626)
Flip
   302. Greg Pope Posted: January 11, 2019 at 11:55 AM (#5804631)
This is why I would rather Jim not have nuked OTP. We could simply tell people to take the discussion there. We've clearly moved on from the article subject into the same old sparring. And references to virtue signaling, which I don't know even know what that is, but it's apparently horrible.

And no, that was not an invitation for education.
   303. Nasty Nate Posted: January 11, 2019 at 12:02 PM (#5804636)
...OTP. We could simply tell people to take the discussion there. We've clearly moved on from the article subject into the same old sparring.
I respectfully disagree. Discussions like this were not served well by being in that thread.
   304. . Posted: January 11, 2019 at 12:17 PM (#5804644)
And references to virtue signaling, which I don't know even know what that is, but it's apparently horrible.

Cambridge English Dictionary:

"Virtue signaling" (noun):

an attempt to show other people that you are a good person, for example by expressing opinions that will be acceptable to them, especially on social media:

Virtue signalling is the popular modern habit of indicating that one has virtue merely by expressing disgust or favour for certain political ideas or cultural happenings.

As I noted, that's an entirely different (and inferior) rhetorical exercise from engaging ideas, thinking, brainstorming, suggesting theses and supporting them, etc, etc.
   305. McCoy Posted: January 11, 2019 at 12:21 PM (#5804645)
I don’t know what 299 means. Anyone care to elaborate or make sense of it?
   306. Lassus Posted: January 11, 2019 at 12:22 PM (#5804646)
But Christ changed all this—He ended the Law of Violence and replaced it with the Law of Love.

I... don't even think snapper could agree with this. "Treat other as you would be treated" pre-dates the legend of Christ.

You can confirm we've never met, right? This is the internet. There's another poster here who insists he's a very-serious-and-in-demand-superlawyer despite....well, just read his posts. Over on Reddit it's a running joke that everyone who writes, "As a black person I think..." is actually white.

I know you don't care, but now you're just being an asshole. Multiple people - myself included - who have met the man in Central Park can confirm he's black, and have already. Your pleas for good faith arguments sound worse and worse.
   307. Greg Pope Posted: January 11, 2019 at 12:24 PM (#5804647)
I respectfully disagree. Discussions like this were not served well by being in that thread.

No? I didn't go there that often. They may not have been well served, but they were contained.
   308. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:05 PM (#5804677)
You can confirm we've never met, right? This is the internet. There's another poster here who insists he's a very-serious-and-in-demand-superlawyer despite....well, just read his posts. Over on Reddit it's a running joke that everyone who writes, "As a black person I think..." is actually white.

I know you don't care, but now you're just being an #######.

I know you don't care, but you're being dishonest.

Multiple people - myself included - who have met the man in Central Park can confirm he's black, and have already.

And I would know this how?

Are you really so wrapped up in going down with the ship that you're gearing up outrage over...what exactly?
   309. Blastin Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:12 PM (#5804684)
For those who don't know, Blastin (Black Justin) is literally a nickname a white friend named Justin gave me (in jest), and that friend introduced me to this site (in 2007!), so I used it when I joined.

310. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:20 PM (#5804690)
For those who don't know, Blastin (Black Justin) is literally a nickname a white friend named Justin gave me (in jest), and that friend introduced me to this site (in 2007!), so I used it when I joined.

Why "Blastin" instead of "Blustin"?
   311. Blastin Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:26 PM (#5804695)
Because that sounds dumb, maybe. But I think it was because I used to be pretty erratic and volative, like a rocket ship that could blast off.
   312. Lassus Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:27 PM (#5804698)

Paying attention. It's come up countless times.

Are you really so wrapped up in going down with the ship that you're gearing up outrage over...what exactly?

I have no idea what ship you're referring to. People who disagree with you are not always outraged, nor gearing up to be so. I'll cop to annoyance, which is all your arrogance merits.
   313. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:29 PM (#5804699)
Because that sounds dumb, maybe.

Yeah, but that's usually a feature, not a bug, when giving your friends nicknames. :-)

But I think it was because I used to be pretty erratic and volative, like a rocket ship that could blast off.

Makes sense.
   314. Blastin Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:30 PM (#5804700)
Pretend I wrote "volatile" which is an actual word.
   315. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:32 PM (#5804702)
Pretend I wrote "volatile" which is an actual word.

I kinda like volative. It's link volatile and explosive all in one.
   316. Blastin Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:34 PM (#5804706)
Probably more accurate in that sense then.

(I'm painting myself as a serial killer but mostly I just yelled a lot from like 18-25)
   317. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:50 PM (#5804718)

Paying attention. It's come up countless times.

Not to me it hasn't. And if it had...how much personal information on each of you pumpkins are people supposed to retain? I know Andy runs a bookshop, that stick in my mind because I'm a book lover, but has he ever been married? Have children? Voted for Steve Martin as a write-in in 1976? I have no idea. It may have come up at some point but I could have missed it, or I could have forgotten. Your seething insistence on looking for malfeasance behind every post must be exhausting.

I've swapped dozens of messages with you. I know nothing about you other than that you live in upstate NY. If you've ever mentioned anything of a personal nature, even in a reply directly to something I posted, I have forgotten it. This summer I met Primate Vlad in Pittsburgh, we had dinner and spoke for a few hours. What does he do for a living? I don't remember. I'm sure he told me, but I have no recollection of it. Monstrous, I know.

I have no idea what ship you're referring to.

The sinking wreck of whatever ginned-up transgression you're falsely insisting I committed.
   318. base ball chick Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:55 PM (#5804722)
225. McCoy Posted: January 11, 2019 at 08:02 AM (#5804448)

The guys is important to some. I've seen some women get annoyed by it when used on them. I've seen women use the term on other women as well. In the service industry I've seen most companies try to train it out of people. Usually to no avail. Just yesterday in a pre con meeting three or four of our management team referred to two women meeting planners as guys when welcoming them and talking to them.

we don't even have this problem in texas
we got yall and all yall

BTW -

males killing females has zero to do with males fighting other males
   319. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 11, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5804724)
BTW -

males killing females has zero to do with males fighting other males

I didn't say it did. I'm saying both behaviors may have evolved out of the same small group dynamics in our evolutionary pre-history.
   320. Lassus Posted: January 11, 2019 at 02:05 PM (#5804727)
Your seething insistence

Yes, you can tell I'm barely able to type with all the rage. Was it the exclamation points or the all caps that gave me away?

The sinking wreck of whatever ginned-up transgression you're falsely insisting I committed.

The only transgression I would pin on you is being so unerringly convinced of your own invincible rectitude on all matters racial that anyone - especially within the races you target - who dares disagree dishonors themselves.
   321. tshipman Posted: January 11, 2019 at 02:35 PM (#5804743)
Why "Blastin" instead of "Blustin"?

Blustin makes me feel good.

(I ain't afraid of no ghosts)
   322. McCoy Posted: January 11, 2019 at 02:40 PM (#5804745)
No, seriously. What was the point of post 299?
   323. . Posted: January 11, 2019 at 02:46 PM (#5804748)
What was the point of post 299?

Virtue signaling. No one outside the nation's rubber rooms could actually believe that this site is "like an alt-right site," or that a bunch of people (apparently including you) here are "awful." So the only reason someone would write such things would be to signal their virtue. The more outrageous the claim, the more pure and surpassing the virtue. (*)

Since writing provocative and excessive things one doesn't actually believe is the textbook definition of a "troll," we have to give begrudging credit to the virtue signalers for successfully rebranding themselves as counter-trolls, though the only way they do that is through typical shrill harpy insistence rather than persuasion.

(*) And since there are black people actively engaged in the discussion and one has even been deemed to be under some kind of "attack," the virtue signalers get the benefit of a two-fer. Which likely explains a lot of what's going on.
   324. McCoy Posted: January 11, 2019 at 02:52 PM (#5804750)
That didn't help.
   325. Lassus Posted: January 11, 2019 at 03:00 PM (#5804753)
Well done.
   326. Jim Furtado Posted: January 11, 2019 at 03:07 PM (#5804757)
OK, I just read the thread. YR has been banned. Although I only vaguely remember seeing the YR handle (usually if someone is a real problem personality I know their handle), if baseball chick says, "yr has been out of the closet with his racism for years", that's sufficient justification for me. She and I have interacted quite a bit here and outside the site and I very much respect her judgement.

I'm also closing this thread so I don't have to deal with it any more. Hopefully this will give me a little time to work on myself. :p
Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.