Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, January 25, 2010

CtB: Calcaterra: If Brett Favre rules applied to baseball

Calcatetris…it’s sweeping the nation!

So last night Brett Favre throws an interception that costs his team a trip to the Super Bowl. You think he’s going to be ripped for it, but within minutes of the game ending the ESPN talking heads are launching right back into that “he’s like a kid out there/he’s a gunslinger” baloney. The best one was Tom Jackson who said “That’s the thing about Brett Favre; he’s not afraid to throw an interception. That’s one of the things I most admire about him.”

I thought that was some of the best suck-up-inspired denial of reality from a commentator I’ve heard in ages, so I quickly tweeted the following for laughs: “That’s the thing about Bill Buckner. He’s not afraid to muff a grounder. That’s one of the things I most admire about him.” Worried that people may not get the joke,  I applied a #FavreRulesForAll tag on it.  I giggled to myself for approximately four seconds, shut my computer down and went to sleep.

I woke up this morning to find that the meme had been picked up (the tag improved to #ESPNFavreRulesForAll). Between 11pm and 5am this morning, hundreds of people had made thousands of “That’s the thing about [infamous person] he’s not afraid to [make a big historical failure]. Gotta respect that.” posts.  Most were pop culture related. My favorite was Will Leitch’s “That’s the thing about France: It’s not afraid to build a war plan around the Maginot Line. Gotta respect that.” It was lightning fast. It was kinda brilliant. By dawn this morning it was utterly played out, at least on Twitter. There is something glorious about that.

Repoz Posted: January 25, 2010 at 02:44 PM | 1018 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: online, site news

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 11 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11
   1001. Lassus Posted: February 03, 2010 at 06:45 PM (#3453423)
Very difficult to watch, although the kids seemed to have fun...

They only THINK they're having fun.
   1002. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: February 03, 2010 at 06:46 PM (#3453425)
I coached Little League "minors" for a couple of years (8-11 years old, I think) and my only rule for pitchers was, If you want to be a pitcher, you have to be able to throw strikes. So every practice I'd ask if anybody wanted to try out, and I'd have them throw me 20 pitches with me as catcher. The kids who threw the most strikes were my pitchers.
In contrast to the above, it worked beautifully. I had kids who couldn't break a pane of glass, but they could put it over the plate, and that was plenty enough. Kept the games moving, the fielders engaged, etc.

I intend to employ the same strategy.
   1003. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: February 03, 2010 at 07:01 PM (#3453436)

Hey, it worked for my crew! Good luck!
Also: kids act up, have 'em run a lap. No lectures, no yelling -- just point at a distant tree or something.
(n.b. I'm not talking about "make an error, run a lap" -- I had a d##cheb#g coach who'd do that stuff, and I hated it. Because how's THAT supposed to help?)
   1004. zenbitz Posted: February 03, 2010 at 07:07 PM (#3453442)
The worst thing I ever saw was a kid bounce a pitch that headed straight for the batter's shins. The batter hacked straight down at the ball and managed to hit himself in the leg. Weirdest strikeout I've ever seen.

The real live major league San Francisco Giants had two DIFFERENT players swing and miss at a pitch that hit them last year. One did it twice (Nate Shierholtz, I think)
   1005. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: February 03, 2010 at 07:25 PM (#3453453)
The real live major league San Francisco Giants had two DIFFERENT players swing and miss at a pitch that hit them last year. One did it twice (Nate Shierholtz, I think)

Ah, but Nate Shierholtz didn't swing directly at his own leg. That makes all the difference. In a way it was impressive how well the kid tracked the ball.
   1006. DL from MN Posted: February 03, 2010 at 08:01 PM (#3453472)
Part of the problem in our league is traveling baseball for kids as young as 8. It skims off all the kids who should be playing the skill positions (P, C, SS, 1B) and leaves kids who can't throw straight or catch consistently. My son was more interested in playing 2 nights a week with his friends than playing 3 nights a week plus nearly every weekend with kids he didn't know well. I can't say I'm disappointed he didn't do traveling baseball, I really wouldn't want to spend that much time following him around.

In 3rd grade they let the kids pitch but if there are 4 balls the coach comes in and throws up to 3 additional pitches. In 4th grade they walked on 4 pitches and many innings went by with one hit or less before they hit the 6 run limit (~6BB, ~3HBP, 1 or 2 K). This is with no basestealing. When there was a hit, none of the fielders were prepared because they'd spent 20 minutes watching the pitcher throw balls against the backstop. The catchers couldn't catch but I didn't really blame them too much, the pitchers couldn't hit the mitt. I had to umpire one game and it was not much fun. I expanded the strikezone up and down from shins to chins but didn't give an whole lot side to side. I spent most of my time dodging the ball.

5th grade is a whole lotta that plus basestealing. I think I'd advise them to just give the player at 1B as far as he can advance, no sense throwing the ball into the outfield. The catchers had a hard enough time getting it back to the pitcher. The attrition rate between 4th and 6th grade is enormous. There were fourteen 4th grade teams and six 6th grade teams from the same school district. In 2 years they lose 60% of the kids. My son decided he liked lap swimming better.
   1007. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: February 03, 2010 at 08:38 PM (#3453497)
Part of the problem in our league is traveling baseball for kids as young as 8. It skims off all the kids who should be playing the skill positions (P, C, SS, 1B) and leaves kids who can't throw straight or catch consistently. My son was more interested in playing 2 nights a week with his friends than playing 3 nights a week plus nearly every weekend with kids he didn't know well. I can't say I'm disappointed he didn't do traveling baseball, I really wouldn't want to spend that much time following him around.

In 3rd grade they let the kids pitch but if there are 4 balls the coach comes in and throws up to 3 additional pitches. In 4th grade they walked on 4 pitches and many innings went by with one hit or less before they hit the 6 run limit (~6BB, ~3HBP, 1 or 2 K). This is with no basestealing. When there was a hit, none of the fielders were prepared because they'd spent 20 minutes watching the pitcher throw balls against the backstop. The catchers couldn't catch but I didn't really blame them too much, the pitchers couldn't hit the mitt. I had to umpire one game and it was not much fun. I expanded the strikezone up and down from shins to chins but didn't give an whole lot side to side. I spent most of my time dodging the ball.

5th grade is a whole lotta that plus basestealing. I think I'd advise them to just give the player at 1B as far as he can advance, no sense throwing the ball into the outfield. The catchers had a hard enough time getting it back to the pitcher. The attrition rate between 4th and 6th grade is enormous. There were fourteen 4th grade teams and six 6th grade teams from the same school district. In 2 years they lose 60% of the kids. My son decided he liked lap swimming better.

That sounds like a nightmare league that's for sure. We don't do traveling teams until the end of the season. Thus, we always get our butts kicked by the mainland teams in the tournament, as they do have traveling squads which play together year round.
   1008. flournoy Posted: February 03, 2010 at 08:47 PM (#3453508)
My son decided he liked lap swimming better.

Nothing wrong with that. I just did some lap swimming this morning, and I'd be in a much better position for triathlon training now if I had expressed any interest in swimming when I was a kid. How old is your kid?
   1009. DL from MN Posted: February 03, 2010 at 09:06 PM (#3453527)
My oldest is 10 years old, going to turn 11. I agree, nothing wrong with swimming. I'm glad he found something else, most kids are dropping out to play video games.

Little League games which rarely require hitters or fielders are truly boring. Might as well watch a kid pitch a simulated game.
   1010. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: February 03, 2010 at 09:11 PM (#3453530)
Might as well watch a kid pitch a simulated game.

...in his mother's basement.
   1011. Kurt Posted: February 03, 2010 at 09:14 PM (#3453532)

That's what I did as a kid, for the one inning I got to pitch. Our regular pitcher - a wild fireballer - was running out of gas, the coach asked me if I could pitch, I said sure, why not. I just lobbed the ball over the plate as slow as I could, and gave up one hit. Mostly it was because as a hitter, I did better against other kids pitching than coaches. The coaches pitched so slow it threw my timing off, and I was so scrawny it was hard to generate my own power.
   1012. SoSH U at work Posted: February 03, 2010 at 09:14 PM (#3453533)
My oldest is 10 years old, going to turn 11. I agree, nothing wrong with swimming. I'm glad he found something else, most kids are dropping out to play video games.

Few things makes me happier than the fact that of my three kids, only the youngest is remotely interested in video games, and he's also the one who would still much rather play sports than anything virtually.
   1013. McCoy Posted: February 08, 2010 at 10:14 PM (#3456282)
   1014. McCoy Posted: February 12, 2010 at 04:58 AM (#3459098)
   1015. Home Run Teal & Black Black Black Gone! Posted: February 26, 2010 at 08:03 AM (#3468677)
This thread is the ####, but it's no poop thread.
   1016. Something Other Posted: February 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM (#3468694)
The catcher thing not only helps performance, it also makes the game a lot more fun. If you get a pitcher and catcher who can actually move the game along, the little guys are a lot of fun to coach. When you're trying to wake up your infield after the sixth consecutive walk (and "steal" of home) things degrade in a hurry.
With kids that age I don't get why a Tee isn't used. What you're describing doesn't sound like any fun at all. Apologies if this has been gone into, but what's the typical age kids in little league make the transition from a tee to live pitcing?
Page 11 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Brian
for his generous support.