Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, May 26, 2019

Daily Mike Trout report: First error since 2017 costly in 4-3 loss to Texas

Jumping ahead to the relevant section:

Friday: Went 1 for 4 — his 12th double of the season — with a walk in a 4-3 loss to the Rangers in the opener of a three-game series at home. He batted second and, playing center field, made his first error since 2017. A hard-hit liner bounced off him and allowed two runs to score in the seventh inning. Trout had gone 296 games since his last error.

I’d argue he’s made an error more recently than that- but whoever’s left here that’s an Angels fan probably wouldn’t agree with that sentiment….

QLE Posted: May 26, 2019 at 10:09 AM | 5 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: errors, mike trout

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer Posted: May 26, 2019 at 11:09 PM (#5845860)
Sigh. I think part of the reason he signed the contract he did, with the team he did, is because he prefers a situation where he can quietly play baseball for the next 12 years at an elite level, without the pressure and distractions of mainstream fame and attention. If he has another 10-12 years of this level of elite play, but the Angels generally continue to be what they are, who is the closest comp to Trout in professional sports? Karl Malone? I'd say Tony Gwynn or somebody like that, but Trout is at another level from a "run of the mill" Hall of Famer.

A guy like Trout should be one of the four or five faces of North American professional sports, the way that Tom Brady, Lebron James, Steph Curry are. But his name ID in mainstream American society has to be disappointingly low.
   2. Jose is Absurdly Unemployed Posted: May 26, 2019 at 11:48 PM (#5845867)
The idea that Trout or any other player makes a mistake signing a 9 figure contract is just nonsense to me. Did he leave money on the table? Of course but he clearly valued some combination of certainty and playing in LA over an extra 25 million.

But Trout making an error on the field is something the Angels shouldn’t tolerate. I think the Sox would move a Jackie abradley and probably kick in a minor leaguer as well. JBJ is a great defender and wouldn’t make such a mistake.
   3. Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer Posted: May 27, 2019 at 09:28 AM (#5845876)
Blotto:

1) I definitely don't think he made a mistake - as long as Trout did what he felt was in his best interests, and is happy with his decision, then good for him. He can do what he wants. The "sigh" is that, from the perspective of the game of baseball, being a baseball fan, etc., what is best for him and what is best for the sport do not appear to align. So it goes.

2) The Angels should not accept such an error in the field. Bradley would not make that error, and the swap should be made immediately...for the Angels' sake.
   4. Jose is Absurdly Unemployed Posted: May 27, 2019 at 03:22 PM (#5845951)
SBPT - Yeah I understood what you meant. Sorry I didn’t make that clear.
   5. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: May 27, 2019 at 04:21 PM (#5845973)
What a ####### bum.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.