Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Daily News uncovers bizarre plot by Melky Cabrera to use fake website and duck drug suspension

A Levinson link mystery if ever!

In a bizarre attempt to avoid a 50-game drug suspension, San Francisco Giants star Melky Cabrera created a fictitious website and a nonexistent product designed to prove he inadvertently took the banned substance that caused a positive test under Major League Baseball’s drug program.

But instead of exonerating Cabrera of steroid use, the Internet stunt trapped him in a web of lies. Amid the information-gathering phase of his doping case last month, his cover story unraveled quickly, and what might have been a simple suspension has attracted further attention from federal investigators and MLB, the Daily News has learned.

Famed steroid cop Jeff Novitzky, a criminal investigative agent for the Food & Drug Administration), and agents from MLB’s Department of Investigation have begun looking into Cabrera’s associates and his entourage, including trainers, handlers and agents, as they search for the source of the synthetic testosterone that appeared in a sample of the All-Star Game MVP’s urine.

...As the website alibi imploded, so did Cabrera’s hopes of getting off and leading the Giants to the World Series. Once a candidate for the National League’s MVP award, Cabrera is now serving the 50-game suspension and has exposed his associates to scrutiny from Novitzky, who uncovered the BALCO doping ring and Kirk Radomski’s steroid distribution network, and other investigators.

According to Seth Levinson, the agents hired the Spanish-speaking Nunez to help them obtain and deal with their Dominican clients, including Cabrera. On Saturday, Levinson distanced himself and his brother from Nunez.

“Juan Nunez is NOT a salaried employee of ACES and does NOT receive the benefits that all ACES employees receive,” Levinson said. “Most importantly, any and all calls, texts and emails that he sends come from his own PERSONAL devices (BlackBerry).”

Repoz Posted: August 19, 2012 at 07:57 AM | 139 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: giants, steroids

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Dan Szymborski Posted: August 20, 2012 at 01:14 AM (#4212286)
I mean, this isn't a "did he or didn't he?" thing anymore.

When did that happen? Has someone that's not the frigging *Daily News* independently confirmed the story yet? Their coverage of the steroid issue in baseball to-date has been embarrassing, sub-Duranty-level crap.
   102. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: August 20, 2012 at 05:22 AM (#4212309)
At this point, i've pretty much lost hope.
   103. Bhaakon Posted: August 20, 2012 at 07:09 AM (#4212314)
When did that happen? Has someone that's not the frigging *Daily News* independently confirmed the story yet? Their coverage of the steroid issue in baseball to-date has been embarrassing, sub-Duranty-level crap.

He was probably referring to the "did he use PEDs" aspect, which Cabrera has admitted to.

BTW, is/should there be any additional punishment in store for Melky if this story proves to be true? I'm inclined to say that attempting to scam the arbitration should be a punishable offense in itself, assuming there's proof of it. It's one thing to present an insufficient defense and be ruled against, quite another to present fabricated evidence.
   104. Tim McCarver's Orange Marmalade Posted: August 20, 2012 at 07:59 AM (#4212322)
I'm only 1/32nd marmalade. Most of my ancestors were grape jellies and jams.
   105. Lassus Posted: August 20, 2012 at 08:03 AM (#4212327)
quite another to present fabricated evidence.

Did he do this at some point?

This seems to barely qualify for a charge of "attempted lying"

If this is true, could he be charged with "attempt to plan to lie"?
   106. Joey B.: posting for the kids of northeast Ohio Posted: August 20, 2012 at 09:04 AM (#4212358)
I think the overlooked thing on this is that a player failed a drug test and a government agent is now investigating where he got it. If that doesn't pull a chill down the union's spine I don't know what is.

When a union has a significant number of its members operating in a manner similar to an organized crime syndicate, eventually they're going to attract the attention of the feds. If they really thought otherwise, that they were going to be able to get away with this kind of stuff forever, then they're pretty freaking stupid.
   107. Biscuit_pants Posted: August 20, 2012 at 09:09 AM (#4212361)
Confessions…

Those aren’t biscuits in my pants, it is actually an iron horse.

Oh and pre-registration days I posted as Smitty*
   108. Smitty* Posted: August 20, 2012 at 09:14 AM (#4212365)
Hey so did I!

Oh, and don't you like pants?
   109. Ron J2 Posted: August 20, 2012 at 09:21 AM (#4212370)
#94 It's such a clownshoes attempt at deception that I really couldn't parse the headline on my first try. Something about ducks and a website. Very confusing.
   110. Biscuit_pants Posted: August 20, 2012 at 09:21 AM (#4212372)
Hey so did I!
yeah, but I questioned your pants hating from the beginning, this is no shock to me. It is about time you came out of the closet…or drawer.
   111. Smitty* Posted: August 20, 2012 at 09:34 AM (#4212382)
You keep your pants in a drawer? Way to have wrinkled pants there Bub
   112. Biscuit_pants Posted: August 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM (#4212442)
You keep your pants in a drawer? Way to have wrinkled pants there Bub
Oh, I get it now, you hate WRINKLED pants. Well I don’t want to too much information your way at once but they have invented this device that “irons” out wrinkles, it’s called an Iron Link. Another invention that has taken place are wrinkle free pants, but lets work on one thing at a time.

113. Nasty Nate Posted: August 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM (#4212449)
#94 It's such a clownshoes attempt at deception that I really couldn't parse the headline on my first try. Something about ducks and a website. Very confusing.

I think the Daily News uncovered a fake duck under a suspension bridge.
   114. Nasty Nate Posted: August 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM (#4212451)
Oh, and don't you like pants?

That's a clown question, bro.
   115. Devin has a deep burning passion for fuzzy socks Posted: August 20, 2012 at 11:13 AM (#4212466)
I actually have no opinion one way or the other about fuzzy socks.

Even worse, I stole the phrase from the biographical paragraph of a National Spelling Bee competitor.
   116. dr. scott Posted: August 20, 2012 at 01:06 PM (#4212560)
Not much to confess. Im both a dr. (though not the uesful kind) and a scott (though not the bagpipe playing kind).

All I can really confess to is being a really bad speller and rarely posting anything relevant.
   117. Karl from NY Posted: August 20, 2012 at 01:06 PM (#4212561)
I actually live in <tiny voice> New Jersey.
   118. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: August 20, 2012 at 01:19 PM (#4212581)
The jury is still out on whether I'm a Depression-era poltergeist from the Isle of Man.

(Note: For the record, I find the subhed "MAN-WEASEL' OR MONGOOSE?" off-putting.)
   119. Poster Nutbag Posted: August 20, 2012 at 01:47 PM (#4212618)
All I can really confess to is being a really bad speller and rarely posting anything relevant.

In this aspect, this is true for at least 90% of us...
   120. Bhaakon Posted: August 20, 2012 at 07:33 PM (#4213166)
Did he do this at some point?

From the article:

“There was a product they said caused this positive,” one source familiar with the case said of Cabrera’s scheme. “Baseball figured out the ruse pretty quickly.”

So clearly Cabrera told MLB that he was using the fictitious supplement.

121. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 20, 2012 at 07:51 PM (#4213191)
When "one source familiar with the case" shaves in the morning, does he see "famed steroid cop" looking back at him in the mirror?
   122. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: August 20, 2012 at 07:56 PM (#4213195)

“Juan Nunez is NOT a salaried employee of ACES and does NOT receive the benefits that all ACES employees receive,” Levinson said. “Most importantly, any and all calls, texts and emails that he sends come from his own PERSONAL devices (BlackBerry).”

How is this the "most important" thing? I suppose these are both good facts for the Levinsons from a legal perspective, but neither proves anything.
   123. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: August 20, 2012 at 07:58 PM (#4213199)
I'm not Joe Bivens, but I'm certainly an idiot.
   124. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM (#4213332)
I've only generated one transaction.
   125. Poster Nutbag Posted: August 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM (#4213378)
I've only generated one transaction.

Was it random?
   126. Dan Evensen Posted: August 21, 2012 at 01:34 AM (#4213404)
Certified real name checking in, toasting in epic bread.
   127. PreservedFish Posted: August 21, 2012 at 01:46 AM (#4213405)
Well, I do enjoy salt-packed anchovies, pickled herrings, bacalao and such.
   128. Swedish Chef Posted: August 21, 2012 at 02:02 AM (#4213411)
Well, I do enjoy salt-packed anchovies, pickled herrings, bacalao and such.

What about surströmming?
   129. PreservedFish Posted: August 21, 2012 at 02:28 AM (#4213421)
I have in fact tasted surstromming, and I didn't think it was terrible. It was covered in sour cream and raw red onions, which helped, and we chased it with aquavit, which also helped. Some of the people I tried it with retched and couldn't even put it in their mouths. It was a funny scene. I actually finished my portion with a smile. This all happened at a restaurant where I was working, the surstromming was brought in by a Swedish cook who himself couldn't bare to smell it. Later in the week one of the owners put it on a pizza that we served to Iron Chef Morimoto, who was dining there, and he reportedly enjoyed it. That sounds like a joke but it isn't.

I've never tried the Icelandic rancid shark dish (Hakarl) but that sounds like another level of disgusting.
   130. Squash Posted: August 21, 2012 at 02:56 AM (#4213425)
When a union has a significant number of its members operating in a manner similar to an organized crime syndicate, eventually they're going to attract the attention of the feds. If they really thought otherwise, that they were going to be able to get away with this kind of stuff forever, then they're pretty freaking stupid.

It doesn't seem particularly surprising to me either. These are controlled substances after all, whatever the agreement between MLB and the MLBPA. Someone's getting this stuff for these guys, I doubt very much Melky Cabrera enters the United States every year with eight months worth of synthetic testosterone stuffed down his pants. Whoever that is is trafficking in controlled substances, whatever one thinks of the law.
   131. Swedish Chef Posted: August 21, 2012 at 03:37 AM (#4213429)
Later in the week one of the owners put it on a pizza that we served to Iron Chef Morimoto, who was dining there, and he reportedly enjoyed it.

On a pizza? Sacrilege!

I kind of wonder if surströmming ever was anything more than a macho trip for northerners. If it was used to avoid starvation, wouldn't the season for it have been in the middle of the winter like lutfisk instead of August-September when there's plenty of palatable foodstuffs around?

The other important event on the calendar in northern Sweden is the elk hunt in late autumn, so maybe a minor macho trip before the big one.
   132. Lassus Posted: August 21, 2012 at 08:29 AM (#4213485)
I've never tried the Icelandic rancid shark dish (Hakarl) but that sounds like another level of disgusting.

I don't use this word lightly: indescribable. Made the Beijing Night Market seem like McDonalds
   133. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: August 21, 2012 at 09:02 AM (#4213505)
"A common myth tells that the dish originated with Swedish sailors in the 16th century. The story goes that they only had half the amount of salt needed to keep their fish fresh, so it began to rot. The sailors came across some Finnish islanders and decided to con them by selling the rotten fish to them. The Finns bought it and the sailors went away. A year later the Swedish sailors returned to the island and the locals asked if they had more rotten fish. The sailors decided to try it themselves, liked it and made more."

Finns are truly vile people.
   134. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: August 21, 2012 at 09:17 AM (#4213513)
"In 1981 a German landlord evicted a tenant without notice after the tenant spread surströmming brine in the apartment building's staircase. When the landlord was taken to court, the court ruled that the termination was justified when the landlord's party demonstrated their case by opening a can inside the courtroom. The court concluded that it "had convinced itself that the disgusting smell of the fish brine far exceeded the degree that fellow-tenants in the building could be expected to tolerate."[8]"
   135. Joey B.: posting for the kids of northeast Ohio Posted: August 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM (#4213576)
It doesn't seem particularly surprising to me either. These are controlled substances after all, whatever the agreement between MLB and the MLBPA. Someone's getting this stuff for these guys, I doubt very much Melky Cabrera enters the United States every year with eight months worth of synthetic testosterone stuffed down his pants. Whoever that is is trafficking in controlled substances, whatever one thinks of the law.

And it hardly needs to be said that the Dominican Republic is one of the biggest sources of the problem. It's only a matter of time before eventually the feds are going to find out what person or people are behind this little Dominican mafia-style drug trafficking outfit operating within baseball, and when they finally get busted, they're going to be looking at big-time prison sentences.
   136. The Good Face Posted: August 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM (#4213598)
Finns are truly vile people.

Considering their most famous dessert, mammi, resembles nothing so much as a lump of fresh dog ####, you might be on to something.
   137. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: August 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM (#4213685)
This is an excellent thread. In the interest of full disclosure, I should add that while I am not a samurai, I do generally contain Bourbon and am in America until saturday.
   138. SoSH U at work Posted: August 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM (#4213693)
As long as we're sharing: I am unacceptable in most social settings* (and SoSHal ones, at least I was at one point). Though, honestly, ever since that stretch where we had to re-register on a daily basis, it's no guarantee I'm at the office when I'm posting under this particular handle.

* Because, unlike my former spiritual leader, I really, really do hate pants.

139. salajander Posted: August 22, 2012 at 01:35 PM (#4214820)
I'm not a salajander. Or a salamander. Or named Sal.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.