Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Daniel Bryan’s ‘YES!’ chant has spread to the Pirates’ dugout

I once started an “Unpredictable! Unpredictable! Unpredictable!” Johnny Rodz chant after Clay Bellinger’s first career HR. Just never caught on.

The Pirates and Reds grappled in an absolute homerfest Monday in Cincinnati, launching an absurdly entertaining 10 long balls before rain halted the game after six innings. A half-dozen of those long balls came courtesy of Pittsburgh batters, leading the Bucs to adopt a new team celebration.

After years of the Dude, Where’s My Car-inspired Zoltan, the Pirates unveiled their homage to Daniel Bryan’s “YES! YES! YES!” chant following Neil Walker’s second home run of the evening.

Repoz Posted: April 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM | 316 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: pirates

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4
   301. steagles Posted: June 03, 2014 at 07:22 PM (#4718403)
NXT Takeover was a fantastic show. But Sami Zayn will be 30 next month, and I fear the WWE are not maximizing what little peak physical condition years he has left.
wrestlers can go into their 40s in peak-ish condition. the main reason it's not more common right now is that a lot of the guys in that age bracket have made enough money over their career that they don't have to.

I am a Bo-liever. I can't wait to see what they have in mind for him.
my money would be on nothing. he'll trade wins for a while while "feuding" with someone on the mid-card. then he'll be probably be put into a bland-ish tag team with another mid card guy. and then 6 years later, he'll be wished the best in his future endeavors.
Rollins has really broken out as a performer in the last couple of months. Still, Ambrose would have been the more obvious one to turn - he's always seemed a little unhinged.
i forget, which one has the greasy hair, and which on has the greasy hair that's spray painted black?
Batista's outrage on Twitter after Bluetista was awesome, especially rewriting his bio as #wwejobber. His return was not really welcome, but he's redeemed himself.
batista doesn't get enough credit. i still love this promo.
   302. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: June 03, 2014 at 09:35 PM (#4718462)
my money would be on nothing. he'll trade wins for a while while "feuding" with someone on the mid-card. then he'll be probably be put into a bland-ish tag team with another mid card guy. and then 6 years later, he'll be wished the best in his future endeavors.

I think his bloodline may compel the WWE to make something of him. I'd rather they didn't, but they may make him the long-lost Wyatt brother.

wrestlers can go into their 40s in peak-ish condition. the main reason it's not more common right now is that a lot of the guys in that age bracket have made enough money over their career that they don't have to.

But aren't they numbed up on a million painkillers to get them to that point? Perhaps I am lumping Sami with the Daniel Bryan/CM Punk ROH crowd, where the ethos and personal politics are different. Bryan and Punk are both banged up by early/mid-30s, and their lifestyles aren't exactly conductive to the long-term rigors of professional wrestling. I know Bryan is no longer a vegan but still.

Anyway I may be talking out of my ass on all points. I've only recently started following it again after a 20 year absence.

303. Good cripple hitter Posted: June 03, 2014 at 11:38 PM (#4718506)

But aren't they numbed up on a million painkillers to get them to that point? Perhaps I am lumping Sami with the Daniel Bryan/CM Punk ROH crowd, where the ethos and personal politics are different. Bryan and Punk are both banged up by early/mid-30s, and their lifestyles aren't exactly conductive to the long-term rigors of professional wrestling. I know Bryan is no longer a vegan but still.

I don't know about his lifestyle (I've never heard a bad word about him, but that doesn't mean anything w/r/t painkillers) but Sami's ROH feuds (Briscoes, AoTF, Kevin Steen) were predicated on him taking a lot of bumps. The Steen feud in particular got a lot of criticism from some sources for being too violent. Sami took a lot of chair shots (seemingly) direct to the head during that one. He's also wrestled his high-octane style elsewhere and he's probably put a lot of mileage on his body.

And while it's easy to think of the typical WWF/NWA brawlers who lasted a long time (Sting/Flair/Hogan/Undertaker/etc) It's really hard for me to think of a high flyer who worked steadily into his 40s. RVD's the only guy I can think of off the top of my head, but he's had long hiatuses and had a reputation for being lazy in the ring.

With that in mind I'd be floored if Sami was wrestling long past his 35th birthday. That being said, I don't think that's much of a concern for WWE. With wrestlers wrestling on TV once and sometimes twice a week, careers are intensified. They could call him up in the summer and have 5 or 6 successful years and they'd get a lot out of him.
   304. steagles Posted: June 08, 2014 at 03:11 AM (#4721219)
just saw the last 10 minutes of raw.

the way i'd write this shield break-up is to have HHH bury rollins. with rollins' turn, the shield is done, which means that HHH already got what he wanted out of him. dump him in the next month, let reigns/ambrose beat the hell out of him at summerslam and then get him off TV for a while. in the meantime, you build up reigns/ambrose as an unbeatable tag team until TLC, when you bring rollins back with a tag team partner (does cm punk have any plans? how about sting?) and let that feud burn into wrestlemania.

ambrose/reigns will be hot since rollins betrayed them. rollins will be hot cause he was betrayed by HHH and got ass kicked by his old partners. everyone there will be pissed off, for good reason. it writes itself.

and it's not like HHH isn't gonna bury the guy, anyway.
   305. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 08, 2014 at 09:52 AM (#4721236)
And while it's easy to think of the typical WWF/NWA brawlers who lasted a long time (Sting/Flair/Hogan/Undertaker/etc) It's really hard for me to think of a high flyer who worked steadily into his 40s. RVD's the only guy I can think of off the top of my head, but he's had long hiatuses and had a reputation for being lazy in the ring.

Mil Mascaras and Jushin Liger?
   306. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: June 08, 2014 at 12:34 PM (#4721288)
I've recently gotten back into wrestling and I'm surprised at how much of the current roster has held either the RAW or Smackdown World Title. I'm particularly surprised Alberto Del Rio & Dolph Ziggler have held it and now toil in the midcard
   307. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: June 08, 2014 at 01:20 PM (#4721301)
Don't forget Jack Swagger!

it writes itself.

that's...not the impression i got from this round of fantasy booking.
   308. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: June 08, 2014 at 01:55 PM (#4721317)
I've recently gotten back into wrestling and I'm surprised at how much of the current roster has held either the RAW or Smackdown World Title. I'm particularly surprised Alberto Del Rio & Dolph Ziggler have held it and now toil in the midcard

Don't forget Jack Swagger!

And light a prayer candle for the Great Khali. And the Miz.
   309. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: June 08, 2014 at 03:37 PM (#4721370)
and it's not like HHH isn't gonna bury the guy, anyway.

eh I don't think Trips is going to be doing a lot of burying. He's developed and cultivated a deep pool of talent in NXT (the AAA league of the WWE, for anyone wondering), and he's put over The Shield, The Wyatts, and Daniel Bryan, who all came up through NXT. The product has a lot going for it right now, and he is a big reason for that.

Smackdown actually mattered Friday night. Dolph Ziggler / Seth Rollins was a fantastic match. I'm not sure why Dolph of all guys was brought out to be Rollin's first post-deflection match, but the best was in the beginning when he says "I know saying this will get me knocked further down the totem pole..." and Triple HHH nods.

Bo Dallas vs Santino was a piece of comic wrestling brilliance. Bo (another NXT talent) is 5-0 since being called up.
   310. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: June 08, 2014 at 04:16 PM (#4721389)
I think it's even funnier that he's criticizing Rollins for focusing on the hits record by acknowledging that hits aren't as important as other statistics.

Ziggler spoke out against the Authority & fought Batista not too long ago. I guess he could be an ally to Ambrose & Reigns vs. Evolution
   311. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: June 08, 2014 at 04:22 PM (#4721393)
Dean Ambrose is terrific. If I could pick one WWE wrestler to cast in movies, I'd pick him. I think he's the best actor in the company. But if Bray Wyatt were a character on a popular television show, he would be as iconic as Walter White or Omar Little.

I just recently got back into WWE after watching Wrestlemania XXX, so most of the roster is new to me. I must agree with you about Ambrose, he sold Rollins turn well and is excellent with the mic. The only thing I would change is his punching, maybe it is part of his unhinged gimmick but it just looks beyond fake and reminds me of when The Nasty Boys used pummel their opponents in the corner and looked about as intimidating as a couple of 3rd grade bullies. Overall though, Ambrose is awesome.
   312. Chokeland Bill Posted: June 09, 2014 at 07:30 PM (#4722181)
Bryan is going to be stripped of the belts, meaning that the Money in the Bank match is now for the title. I would guess either Cena or Kane is the favorite to win, depending on how long they expect Bryan to be out. Orton will almost certainly be in the match. I think it would be cool to have HHH give Rollins a direct entry and to have Reigns and Ambrose need to earn their way in, but that might be putting too many eggs in one match-basket.

Provided he can make a full recovery, this might be best for Bryan in the long run. No one was enjoying the Kane feud, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and losing the belt refuels his battle with the Authority. They can play an angle where he doesn't get a title shot when he comes back, despite never getting beat.
   313. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: June 11, 2014 at 10:10 AM (#4723188)
I said that Dean Ambrose is terrific and the best actor in the company, and Monday's Raw only confirmed it. He took it to another level with his promo. I think The Shield breaking up is the best thing that could happen to his career because now that he can play the Betrayed Brother and turn it up to 11, he could end up being the best actor on television this year. Seriously, he's reminding me of vintage Mickey Rourke. I'm not sure if professional wrestling has ever had a method actor but there is one now.
   314. Heinie Mantush (Krusty) Posted: June 13, 2014 at 02:38 PM (#4725142)
Pat Patterson came out in the latest episode of Legends House. It was filmed in 2012 and Patterson's sexuality has been an open secret within wrestling forever, but it takes some serious testicular fortitude to come out at 73.
   315. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: June 13, 2014 at 04:31 PM (#4725343)
[313] That promo made me jump on the Ambrose hype train. Still waiting to be sold on Reigns.
   316. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 13, 2014 at 06:03 PM (#4725468)
I'm not sure if professional wrestling has ever had a method actor but there is one now.

Wrestling in the era of kayfabe was full of method actors. Scott Simpson was so into his Nikita Koloff gimmick he learned to speak Russian and used his phony accent outside of the ring 100% of the time for years. He even used his (fake) uncle Ivan Koloff (a Canadian) as an "interpreter" for signing leases and whatnot so he could continue to pretend to barely understand a word of English. Check out the masters in action. Even Daniel Day Lewis couldn't sell that character any better.
Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Andere Richtingen
for his generous support.