Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, February 20, 2012

Deadspin: The Making Of “Homer At The Bat”

How big was this episode:

On Feb. 20, 1992, more American homes tuned into The Simpsons than they did The Cosby Show or the Winter Olympics from Albertville, France. A foul-mouthed cartoon on a fourth-place network bested the Huxtables and the world’s best amateur athletes. Fox over NBC and CBS—its first-ever victory in prime time. New over old.

And how were the players who were on the show:

Showrunner Al Jean has said the players who committed were more than happy to do the show. Well, almost of all of them. “They were all really nice,” Jean said on the DVD commentary, “except for one whose name rhymes with Manseco.”

Mark S. is bored Posted: February 20, 2012 at 08:30 PM | 1075 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: television

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 11 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11
   1001. steagles Posted: March 29, 2012 at 04:24 PM (#4092499)
watching some of these justified scenes over again, i think one of the best parts of the show at this point is seeing how completely flawed raylan is. winona hates him, his coworkers all view him as a liability, his entire relationship with arlo, who's his only living relative, is built on a mutual hatred they have for each other.

and he's not really all that quick in the head, either. he's now let dickie bennett out of jail twice, and in this last episode, he didn't pick up on the fact that the muscle from detroit was sent to get quarles, and not him.

and going back to the episode where he was framed for murder, he wasn't the one who got himself out of the crosshairs. winona found the murder weapon, and w/r/t the corruption inquiry, it was art who shut it down. he didn't do anything to get out from under either of those rocks.

i don't know how it'd be possible for the show to go on without him, but he's just a complete mess, and it seems like there's gotta be some point where all the #### he's done comes back on him.
   1002. McCoy Posted: March 29, 2012 at 05:44 PM (#4092558)
Raylan knew the gun was stashed somewhere and told Winona that. He didn't let Dickie Bennett out of jail. Dickie got off because he got kidnapped by the jailers and they didn't want a lawsuit. There was really nothing going on with the curruption charges. As for the hitmen there was little reason to suspect that they were after Quarles and not him. Wynn Duffy in fact set them over to the bar in the hopes that Raylan and the hitmen would take each other out. You have to remember that Raylan doesn't get to see the scenes we see. So as far as he knows Quarles comes into the bar on Sunday night and threatens to kill him. On Monday morning two hitmen show up at the bar and get tough with him.
   1003. steagles Posted: March 29, 2012 at 06:50 PM (#4092604)

Raylan knew the gun was stashed somewhere and told Winona that.
raylan didn't tell winona to go looking for the gun, she found it on her own.
He didn't let Dickie Bennett out of jail. Dickie got off because he got kidnapped by the jailers and they didn't want a lawsuit.
dickie killed his aunt helen, and was well on the way to killing him. lawsuit or no lawsuit, it's still on raylan that dickie was able to slip both charges.

it's on him, not that it's entirely his fault, but in the sense that he wasn't able to finish the job.
There was really nothing going on with the curruption charges.
with the existing ties between raylan and boyd, i think a motivated investigator could at least make raylan uncomfortable. there may not be a fire there, but there is quite a bit of smoke.
As for the hitmen there was little reason to suspect that they were after Quarles and not him. Wynn Duffy in fact set them over to the bar in the hopes that Raylan and the hitmen would take each other out. You have to remember that Raylan doesn't get to see the scenes we see. So as far as he knows Quarles comes into the bar on Sunday night and threatens to kill him. On Monday morning two hitmen show up at the bar and get tough with him.
he didn't read the situation. maybe that's understandable considering prior events, but still, they did not come in ill-temper. the fact that he got in a scuffle with the one guy (a guy who had no idea who raylan was) is another example of raylan just being an unlikable ass.

the series started off with him as a fairly likable main character. he was calm, he was decisive, he had some great lines, he shot bad people. but when you watch him now, is there anyone on the show who doesn't think he's a gaping ass? there was a line from the pilot that i think is really starting to drive raylan's interactions. it was from winona in the last scene--"you're the angriest man i know". it's taken 3 seasons, but i think we're starting to see the consequences of that, and i think it's becoming the best part of the show.
   1004. McCoy Posted: March 29, 2012 at 07:15 PM (#4092610)
raylan didn't tell winona to go looking for the gun, she found it on her own.

Well, she went home.

dickie killed his aunt helen, and was well on the way to killing him. lawsuit or no lawsuit, it's still on raylan that dickie was able to slip both charges.

Raylan is the DA now?

with the existing ties between raylan and boyd, i think a motivated investigator could at least make raylan uncomfortable. there may not be a fire there, but there is quite a bit of smoke.

And it went nowhere. Raylan didn't have to outsmart anything on that. Im fact his whole attitude about all of it was that it was all a bunch of nonsense. 3 or 4 hours after it all started it all went away and knows, for the most part, how to react to those moves.

he didn't read the situation.

Two hitmen from Detroit show up less than 12 hours after one of their gang threatens to kill him. I'm not sure one can expect anyone to read that differently. Was he supposed to strike up a casual conversation with guys he thinks might just draw on him at any moment? Plus I think Raylan was unarmed at the time as well.

I think Boyd is the smartest one in the bunch but Raylan hasn't shown that he isn't quick in the head. He isn't a planner/manipulator like Boyd but he can see and understand the moves that people are making.
   1005.     Hey Gurl Posted: March 31, 2012 at 01:07 AM (#4093555)
I finally caught up on TWD. I definitely agree that it got a lot better after Sofia, but didn't really like the end anyway. The "reveal" seemed very strange to me in that:

1) I personally had compeletely forgotten about Jenner/CDC/etc. I honestly didn't know what Rick was talking about at first. Anyone else? The thing that has struck me about all of season 2 was how little of it tied with season 1. When Rick said CDC I was kinda like "Oooohhh yeahh!! I'd totally forgotten about all that!"

2) Like someone else mentioned, I have no idea why Rick kept that a secret. When Shane rose was anyone like "WHOA WHAT THE ####?!?!" I was just kinda like "Oh, okay then."

The whole thing just seemed weird. Everyone's reaction to Rick also seemed unnatural, as did Rick's response.

In fact, none of it seemed natural. The season should have just ended with the Rick/Shane showdown (I thought it did at first, before I realized there was a #13 in the folder.) The last episode just seemed bizarre to me. This show really is something. From an objective point of view, it's clearly an awful show; the characters are annoying and/or unlikeable (is Darryl seriously the most likeable character? I say yes.) The acting is generally awful. The plot constantly meanders and goes in circles. Yet despite all this, it manages to be completely compelling and I'm looking forward to season 3. It's like one hemisphere of my brain is arguing with the other.

Anyway, looking forward to Game of Thrones Sunday. I assume everyone has read the books? I ripped through the 900-page third book in under a week, but I have been stuck on book four for months. I actually think I'll go back to it tomorrow though, to prep a bit for the show (which is far behind of course, but still.)
   1006. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 31, 2012 at 02:35 AM (#4093588)
(is Darryl seriously the most likeable character? I say yes.)

What the hell did Glen ever do to you?
   1007.     Hey Gurl Posted: March 31, 2012 at 02:53 AM (#4093590)
See 2 or 3 pages ago. I find his scenes absolutely painful to watch. Like a plane crashing in slow motion.
   1008. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 31, 2012 at 07:46 AM (#4093610)
Any time Raylan and Art go out in the field together, it's guaranteed to be good TV. Also, Michael Ironsides!!
   1009. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 31, 2012 at 07:51 AM (#4093611)
Also, #### Limehouse...thoroughly unlikable, even for this show. I hope Dickie plugs him.
   1010. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 31, 2012 at 07:54 AM (#4093612)
And just having Wynn Duffy and Boyd Crowder talk on the phone was awesome.
   1011. Lassus Posted: March 31, 2012 at 08:54 AM (#4093636)
Re: Justified - I love the show, but this whole "Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" ending to the season that is shaping up is starting to make the eye-rolling a lot more prevalent while I'm watching. They have quite simply thrown way too much into this season and it's becoming insanely top-heavy and annoyingly thin on the surface.

Anyway, looking forward to Game of Thrones Sunday. I assume everyone has read the books?

Actually, no, but the, um, er, what thread was it? One of the recent longer threads talks a lot about the books. If you could talk more about the SHOW here and not the things upcoming or who's dead or not in the books, that would be great.
   1012. McCoy Posted: March 31, 2012 at 10:52 AM (#4093689)
Spoiler: Everybody dies. It's George R.R. Martin.
   1013.     Hey Gurl Posted: March 31, 2012 at 02:21 PM (#4093799)
I read [1011] in the voice of Bill Lumbergh.

But okay, not a problem.
   1014. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: March 31, 2012 at 03:10 PM (#4093817)
Spoiler: Everybody dies. It's George R.R. Martin.

Sean Bean has never taken a role without a death scene.
   1015. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 31, 2012 at 03:44 PM (#4093832)
I agree: we should designate this TV thread a GOT spoiler-free zone so that people can feel safe discussing it.
   1016.     Hey Gurl Posted: March 31, 2012 at 04:21 PM (#4093849)
So, are we going to do the same with the Comics and TWD or...?
   1017. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 31, 2012 at 04:39 PM (#4093854)
I think it would be common courtesy to refrain from major spoilers for the Walking Dead as well, particularly as that comic is even more obscure and less likely to have been read than GOT, yes.
   1018.     Hey Gurl Posted: March 31, 2012 at 04:49 PM (#4093859)
Ok. Just cause, you know, people haven't been. ( I haven't read the comics)
   1019. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 31, 2012 at 05:06 PM (#4093867)
I mean, people can do what they'd like, I'm just expressing what I would believe to be courteous...i.e., don't tell me that Rick turns into a zombie or whatnot.
   1020. steagles Posted: March 31, 2012 at 06:20 PM (#4093902)
re:spoilers, i think after something airs, it's fair game. i haven't read the walking dead books, but when an episode airs on sunday, i see no reason to refrain from talking about it on monday.

re:justified, winona was living with her sister in louisville, not in her house in louisville. she went to the house specifically to look for the gun, and raylan was surprised when she called to say she found it.

and re:the corruption charge and the detroit hitmen and the icepick guy in the elevator and the guy in the trailer with the oxy, and the courtroom scene with dickey and the fact that he got himself stuck with a needle by the male nurse. about the only people raylan's gotten the jump on this season were wade messer and the pawn shop guy, and even that didn't turn out well for him since the guy got shot before he could turn on wynn duffy.

raylan's been in a fog all season. he still has some great lines, but he's just not the same cool, slick lawman he was at the start of the series.
   1021. McCoy Posted: March 31, 2012 at 08:04 PM (#4093941)
don't tell me that Rick turns into a zombie or whatnot.

Okay, I won't tell you that Rick turns into a zombie.
   1022. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 31, 2012 at 09:24 PM (#4093978)

raylan's been in a fog all season. he still has some great lines, but he's just not the same cool, slick lawman he was at the start of the series.

"I didn't order ######## with my whiskey."
   1023. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: March 31, 2012 at 09:30 PM (#4093983)
re:spoilers, i think after something airs, it's fair game. i haven't read the walking dead books, but when an episode airs on sunday, i see no reason to refrain from talking about it on monday.

Agreed. But someone who has read the books coming into a TV thread like this say, last year, and saying OMG YOU GUYS ARE GONNA FLIP OUT WHEN NED STARK DIES!!ONE! would have been a total #######. There are tons of places to discuss the books...and btw, I've read them all and am in no danger of beings spoiled.
   1024. McCoy Posted: March 31, 2012 at 09:32 PM (#4093984)
And if the people who are talking about the TV episode are people that have read the books. . .
   1025. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: April 01, 2012 at 06:56 AM (#4094090)
Is common decency so alien to you that you can't figure out for yourself what kind of pronouncements, and it what format (sans spoiler tag, etc.) would declare you an ####### to the world? I've read the books, yet I somehow can contain my rampaging urges to spill my guts in a thread about television, doubtless being read by people who only watch the TV show. If need to blab about the death or maiming of Character X, I can go to Westeros.Org.

Unbelievable. You'd think I was speaking Chinese!
   1026. McCoy Posted: April 01, 2012 at 11:14 AM (#4094129)
IS the fact that the world doesn't revolve around you so hard for you to comprehend? Numerous people on this board have read the books and have been talking about the TV show well before the show ever came out. But since we all have to be decent to the one guy who might show up who hasn't read the books we're not allowed to talk about the books and show? How about the one guy who hasn't read the books be decent to the rest of us?

Where have I displayed a rampaging urge to spill my guts?

If need to blab about the death or maiming of Character X, I can go to Westeros.Org.

Irony?
   1027. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: April 01, 2012 at 11:24 AM (#4094135)

IS the fact that the world doesn't revolve around you so hard for you to comprehend? Numerous people on this board have read the books and have been talking about the TV show well before the show ever came out. But since we all have to be decent to the one guy who might show up who hasn't read the books we're not allowed to talk about the books and show? How about the one guy who hasn't read the books be decent to the rest of us?

How is this about me? I know everything that happens in GOT and I couldn't give two shits about what happens in The Walking Dead. It's about not being an a-hole. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think it's cool to randomly drop spoilers about things like character deaths or major plot surprises before an episode has aired. It doesn't mean people aren't free to do so, but it does mean they are thoughtless. At least put a spoiler tag in such posts. I'm sure you don't enjoy having things spoiled for you in forums that you wouldn't expect spoil them...again, this is a repurposed thread that has evolved into a discussion of current TV shows. It's not a George RR Martin fan site.
   1028. McCoy Posted: April 01, 2012 at 12:19 PM (#4094172)
It's about not being an a-hole. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think it's cool to randomly drop spoilers about things like character deaths or major plot surprises before an episode has aired.

How is this about anything I've said?
   1029. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: April 01, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4094173)

How is it not?
   1030. McCoy Posted: April 01, 2012 at 04:37 PM (#4094293)
I don't know, that is why I asked.
   1031. Lassus Posted: April 01, 2012 at 05:02 PM (#4094300)

Well, because you whined about being hampered from talking about the books, as so:

But since we all have to be decent to the one guy who might show up who hasn't read the books we're not allowed to talk about the books and show? How about the one guy who hasn't read the books be decent to the rest of us?

I guess this is kind of about me, as I was hoping someone wouldn't mention when or how someone gets killed in the third book of the series while we're discussing the second season of the TV show in the TV thread. (I never once mentioned not talking about the show.)

Is this me not being decent to you or everyone else, McCoy? Let me know.
   1032. McCoy Posted: April 01, 2012 at 05:07 PM (#4094303)
Odd. I'm whining and you're being decent.
   1033. Lassus Posted: April 01, 2012 at 05:52 PM (#4094319)
Odd. I'm whining and you're being decent.

I didn't say I was, I asked if I was. My question was absolutely serious, not sarcastic. Is me asking for details from later books not within this season's GoT not to be discussed in the TV thread not being decent to you? Let me know, and I'll vacate the thread.

And yes, you were whining - read what I quoted, it's a whine. But my question is still serious.

(And for what it's worth, I liked #1012.)
   1034. McCoy Posted: April 01, 2012 at 06:03 PM (#4094328)
edit:
That was a whine? If that was a whine it was a response whine to a whine.

As for talking about GoT I don't really care. If it becomes a topic of conversation I'll talk about it. If it doesn't I won't.

By the way, TWD #95 came out a few days ago.
   1035. Lassus Posted: April 01, 2012 at 07:04 PM (#4094361)
As for talking about GoT I don't really care. If it becomes a topic of conversation I'll talk about it. If it doesn't I won't.

Remind me not to ask you any direct questions. Not about GoT, about anything.
   1036.     Hey Gurl Posted: April 01, 2012 at 10:04 PM (#4094452)
So awesome to have GoT back. I had almost forgotten just how much crazy #### is going on at this time. Are they going to try to match the seasons for the books? I could see books 2/3 taking 5 seasons with all the stuff going on. They did a pretty good job of giving each area a re-introduction of sorts, I thought.
   1037. McCoy Posted: April 01, 2012 at 11:27 PM (#4094488)
Remind me not to ask you any direct questions. Not about GoT, about anything.

Again, I don't care what you do. Secondly, I've stated my intentions. If something becomes a topic of conversation then I'll talk about it if doesn't I won't. I'm not sure how that is unclear. You're a big boy. You can make your own decisions, I don't need to make them for you.
   1038. caprules Posted: April 02, 2012 at 02:14 PM (#4094777)
Are they going to try to match the seasons for the books? I could see books 2/3 taking 5 seasons with all the stuff going on.

Here is a nice interview about the series. This is a good quote from Benioff
As opposed to us being too worried about Season 2 just mimicking book two. At a certain point it just wouldn't make sense either since book four would mean that the fourth season wouldn't have any of the major characters since he split them in half. And so we could lose three or four of our main people. And so there are things that get bumped ahead from the third book into the second season, and likewise there are second book things that will be pushed into Season 3

Also, just before that
When we're done, provided that HBO gives us permission to keep going with this year after year - say it takes us eight seasons to finish it all – then someone could take the DVDs for all eight seasons, some masochistic viewer, and just watch 80 straight hours and it would tell George's saga.

So right now there are 7 books planned, and he is talking about 8 seasons, and combining parts of books 4 and 5 so that characters aren't skipped for a season.
   1039. McCoy Posted: April 02, 2012 at 02:55 PM (#4094819)
I'd still put money on them not completing the whole saga as Martin wrote it. I'd say they do 4 to 5 seasons and condense a ton of stuff.
   1040. Blackadder Posted: April 02, 2012 at 03:09 PM (#4094831)
It appears that the current plan is to split book 3 into two seasons, but of course that is far from finalized.
   1041. zonk Posted: April 02, 2012 at 03:44 PM (#4094853)
I never quite understood why people get so bent out of shape over spoilers --

I guess I subscribe to the idea that every possible plot device has already been done, and done long ago, so regardless of whether we're talking books, TV, or movies -- I no longer see ingesting the stories as a matter of "surprise me", but more a matter of how good is the journey? How good is the writing, how good is the acting, how good is the direction, etc.

In fact, if it weren't for spoilers, I doubt I would have even gotten into GoT... I hadn't read the books, and the first couple of episodes of the HBO series left me almost impossibly lost in the swirl of characters. It wasn't until I read the plot synopses of the books online (wikipedia, I think) where I finally decided it looked like something worth my investment. I On Demanded the episodes I had skipped, caught up, really enjoyed it, then started plowing through the books.

Sure, it's a little bittersweet watching season 2 and knowing where a lot of things are leading, but it's still a very well done show (and Peter Dinklage alone makes the series worth watching).

I'm not proclaiming any intent to start spouting out spoilers here... I mean -- I think that season 1 should have pretty much proven for everyone already that McCoy is quite correct 1012....

I suppose a big part of this goes back to my college career -- I had an English prof who used to suggest reading the Cliff notes plot synopsis of any particularly dense works before tackling them. He suggested that if your mind wasn't bothered trying to play plot detective, you could much more effectively focus on the language, the symbolism, etc. Yes, he was very much of the old mindsight that Shakespeare already presented all the possible plot devices, and everyone else was just rewriting them, but still -- I think it makes for a good approach.
   1042. caprules Posted: April 02, 2012 at 03:45 PM (#4094855)
It would make sense to spread out the material currently available over more seasons while waiting for Winds of Winter to be written. If much of the material from book 3 can be spread over over seasons 3 and 4 of the TV show, that could cover 2013 and 2014. There is one quote from Martin that realistically it will take him 3 years to finish book 6. So it could be published in 2015, maybe? Cover books 4 and 5 in seasons 2015 and 2016 (and they could probably expand it to three seasons for those two books, if they could find a good way to structure it). Then in 2017 or 2018 HBO could cover book 6. At that point, they would still have to wait a few years for book 7 to be published, but it wouldn't be as bad as if books 3-5 were adapted one book per season over the next few years
   1043. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: April 02, 2012 at 04:13 PM (#4094888)
I just got rejected for a job at Colby College after making the final 3. My life is a retarded carnival of pointlessness. Bring on more TV.
   1044. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: April 02, 2012 at 04:22 PM (#4094902)
Very sorry to hear that weekly. Same thing happened to me two years ago, in a situation where I thought I was the front-runner. I stuck it out, though, and got a tenure-track offer this winter at my current place. The life of a vagabond professor is a hard one in many ways, no doubt about it. Hopefully you like what you do. If so, what you do isn't meaningless.

Oh, and don't consider your rejection a judgment on your worthiness as a teacher, scholar, or human being (as hard as that may be to do). It's not easy just getting as far as you did, and whoever was chosen, the search committee were going to have to reject two qualified people who deserve jobs.
   1045. President of the David Eckstein Fan Club Posted: April 02, 2012 at 04:26 PM (#4094905)
I'm in the middle of job hunting myself so I feel your pain (have been close to jobs but haven't closed one out yet).

As for GOT, I thought last night's episode did a good job of setting things up for the season to come. It's funny, I'm looking forward to this season but I have to admit I almost have one eye peeking ahead wondering what will be made out of book 3, which is just crammed full of moments that will surprise/shock/draw a reaction from non-readers.
   1046. Lassus Posted: April 02, 2012 at 04:34 PM (#4094920)
I just got rejected for a job at Colby College after making the final 3. My life is a retarded carnival of pointlessness. Bring on more TV.

Feel you. Although recently starting Breaking Bad hasn't made me feel much better.
   1047. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: April 02, 2012 at 04:42 PM (#4094928)
The worst part is this couldn't have been more perfect since my wife already has a great job in Maine. Oh well, here's to another year being a useless sack of #### adjunct. At least I'll be one year closer to death!
   1048. Chicago Joe Posted: April 02, 2012 at 05:43 PM (#4095002)
At least I'll be one year closer to zombiehood!

FTFY.

1049. steagles Posted: April 03, 2012 at 01:07 AM (#4095189)
i just watched about 5 minutes of the recent green lantern movie and i saw that the guy (ryan lawrence) could interact with all kinds of other species on the lantern planet in his own native language, so i'm wondering if he could also understand the communication of other animals on earth. it'd kind of be out of character for a green lanern, but it'd be some kind of awesome if he could get to the scene of an event and find out about what happened from a flock of pigeons.
   1050. Phil Coorey is a T-Shirt Salesman Posted: April 03, 2012 at 01:22 AM (#4095196)
Justified is so ####### good it is scary - I really should stay in touch with this thread...
   1051. Dan Szymborski Posted: April 03, 2012 at 02:34 AM (#4095201)
The key to writing spoilers is to insert a bunch of fake spoilers, so only the people who know the spoilers know what you're talking about.
   1052. Dale Sams Posted: April 03, 2012 at 02:38 AM (#4095202)
if he could get to the scene of an event and find out about what happened from a flock of pigeons.

Sure. Why not? Animal Man and Aquaman do that ####. GL is limited only by the power of his imagination.
   1053. McCoy Posted: April 03, 2012 at 11:08 PM (#4096195)
Just watched the first two episodes of the second season of Game of Thrones and it looks like the tempo is going to follow the same pattern as the first season. Very slow, sort of confusing, and lots of introductory scenes that last two minutes and then you never see them again.
   1054. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: April 04, 2012 at 06:45 AM (#4096278)
How have you seen the second epsiode! WHO IS YOU SOURCE!?!?!?
   1055. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: April 04, 2012 at 07:31 AM (#4096283)
Thank God for the three Yankee games at CF. Only sellouts of the year I'm betting.
   1056. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: April 04, 2012 at 07:31 AM (#4096284)
oops wrong thread
   1057. McCoy Posted: April 04, 2012 at 09:39 AM (#4096355)
HBO GO.
   1058. McCoy Posted: April 04, 2012 at 12:40 PM (#4096586)
Last night's episode of Justified has Raylan figuring it all out well before anything comes to fruition once again. He figured out rather quickly that Limehouse was pulling the strings and maneuvering everyone on the board.
   1059. steagles Posted: April 04, 2012 at 03:55 PM (#4096868)
Last night's episode of Justified has Raylan figuring it all out well before anything comes to fruition once again. He figured out rather quickly that Limehouse was pulling the strings and maneuvering everyone on the board.
i agree. he was on the ball last night.

but there's still an episode left.

anyway, i'm watching "the departed" right now, and i'm kind of shaking my head at the made for TV editing. rat #### is edited. bull #### is edited. but faggot is just left there dangling in the wind.
   1060. McCoy Posted: April 04, 2012 at 03:55 PM (#4096869)
Fat Betty Draper has got to be the dumbest storyline I've ever seen.
   1061. McCoy Posted: April 04, 2012 at 03:57 PM (#4096874)
anyway, i'm watching "the departed" right now, and i'm kind of shaking my head at the made for TV editing. rat #### is edited. bull #### is edited. but faggot is just left there dangling in the wind.

I just turned on the TV and caught the elevator scene before heading over to Mad Men. Yesterday they had on Tropic Thunder and they wouldn't let the actors say the word "retard". Instead they used the word "special".
   1062. McCoy Posted: April 05, 2012 at 06:59 PM (#4098941)
How come it is always the unconscious coma patient that survives the zombie apocalypse? Resident Evil, The Walking Dead, 28 Days Later. . .
   1063. McCoy Posted: April 09, 2012 at 12:09 AM (#4100760)
Thumbs down on Mad Men tonight. Horribly scripted central story. Humorous interaction between Peggy and Roger. Ham-handed interaction between Peggy and Dawn. Ginsberg scene in the boardroom was stupid. At the bar was pointless but slightly humorous. Not much to say about his daughter's story other than it was humorous to hear the Grandma's story about her dad. Have never been thrilled with any storyline involving Joan and this one didn't change my mind.

As for Don and the main story I think you can use Don's words about the Cindarella pitch for this storyline. It was a cliche and was telegraphed almost a million miles away. This was the only way to show that Don is tempted by his urges and knows he can't control himself so he has to attempt to control others? A dream? That was the only way? Poor writing. This episode was almost totally devoid of subtlety and yet that is what almost all of their situations needed most.

Peggy staring at her purse
Sally sleeping under the couch
Don killing the woman.

1064.     Hey Gurl Posted: April 09, 2012 at 12:23 AM (#4100770)
Haven't watched Mad Men yet, but Game of Thrones was rather dull too, I thought.

I had been looking forward to the Theon/Asha introduction as it had me laughing when reading it; the show's execution was less fulfilling, somehow.
   1065. McCoy Posted: April 09, 2012 at 10:23 AM (#4100930)
Last night was a bummer for me since a bunch of the 1 hour dramas released a sneak preview of their show last week. So all I had was The Killing and Mad Men.
   1066. steagles Posted: April 09, 2012 at 02:19 PM (#4101259)
sunday nights are kind of dead for me right now. i don't watch mad men or the killing or game of thrones or nurse jackie or the big c. i should be interested in the borgias, but i just never bothered to try it.

at least mythbusters is new.
   1067. zonk Posted: April 09, 2012 at 02:59 PM (#4101317)
Haven't watched Mad Men yet, but Game of Thrones was rather dull too, I thought.

I had been looking forward to the Theon/Asha introduction as it had me laughing when reading it; the show's execution was less fulfilling, somehow.

True dat re: Theon/Asha...

However, on the plus side, I do tend to find Davos/Stannis/etc to be more interesting than I found that little faction to be in the books... so it's a tradeoff, I guess.

I'm still conflicted on how well I think they're handling Tyrion in Kings Landing... On one hand, Peter Dinklage deserves every ounce of acclaim he's getting... but on the other, I just felt like the book did a much better job of really fleshing out his time as temporary Hand. I suppose that's mainly a matter of media and the limitations of a 60 minute episode, though.
   1068.     Hey Gurl Posted: April 09, 2012 at 03:22 PM (#4101358)
Yeah, I think you're right. Are non-readers even familiar with Janos Slynt? I guess that's the thing with TV, no time to set stuff up so it all seems to move too quickly and less fleshed-out.

Mad Men was pretty crap too, I agree. If you're a writer and your best idea is to concoct an obvious "it was just a dream" moment, please, find a new profession. And ugh, Joan; her story-line has never been interesting and it's just getting less-so. The only plot-line I'm remotely interested in right now, I think, is Roger's. Sally should never be given that many lines. Or airtime.
   1069. President of the David Eckstein Fan Club Posted: April 09, 2012 at 03:27 PM (#4101375)
A non-reader probably realizes Janos Slynt is a bad guy (Betrayed Ned, killed the baby in the brothel) so I think there's still enjoyment in seeing his comeuppance. I actually like the replacement of Jacelyn Bywater with Bronn as Slynt's successor, as it emphasizes the subtle hypocrisy in Tyrion (and bringing in a new character at that point also takes up time).
   1070. McCoy Posted: April 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM (#4103602)
Apparently several TV blog sites liked the dream sequence of Mad Men.

Justified's season finale is like a shotgun blast so far.
   1071. steagles Posted: April 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM (#4103639)
that was a solid hour of television. i still don't like limehouse, but they've left him, errol, boyd, johnny and wynn duffie in play as villains for next season. the dissension between johnny and boyd could have an interesting payoff down the line, though i don't think there's any doubt that if there's a showdown it'll be boyd who comes out on top.

i'm still curious as to where they take raylan through next season. his relationship with art has softened, but winona still wants nothing to do with him, and playing "harlan" roulette with wynn duffie seems like the kind of thing that'll have consequences sometime next year.

it's a shame that it'll be another year until the show's back, because it really is one of the slickest shows on all of television.
   1072. McCoy Posted: April 12, 2012 at 09:26 AM (#4104770)
GoT got renewed for a third season and they'll be splitting the third book into two seasons. That makes a lot of sense. I've been saying since before they started filming that there was no way they could do these books justices with just 11 or so episodes for each book.
   1073. steagles Posted: April 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM (#4110274)
that was probably one of the best episode of south park there's been in a few years. it was absolutely hilarious until they did the live action scene.
   1074. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: April 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM (#4110289)
Just dropping into this thread to mention: Amazing GF heard somebody in the crowd booing during last night's broadcast of the A's-Angels game.
I had her convinced - albeit very briefly - that the crowd was in fact yelling at Daric "Boo-arton."
   1075. steagles Posted: April 19, 2012 at 06:26 PM (#4110931)
so, after doing doctor who, i'm now onto "better off ted". 4 episodes in, and i'm loving it. it's a crime that there's only 26 episodes.
Page 11 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.