Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Dodger Stadium to undergo $100-million renovation this offseason

The Dodgers on Tuesday will unveil plans for a $100-million renovation of Dodger Stadium that will provide a new center field plaza as well as elevators and bridges that will connect the outfield pavilions to the rest of the stadium.

The project is expected to be complete in time for next season. The announcement will be made during a news conference where the logo for the 2020 MLB All-Star Game at Dodger Stadium is expected to be revealed.

Spread over two acres, the new center field plaza will include food establishments, a beer garden, two sports bars, a children’s play area, and a space for live pregame and postgame music. Fans will be able to watch the game from above a new batter’s eye in straightaway center field and from standing positions that ring the seating areas.

The entrance to the plaza will feature a Jackie Robinson statue, which will be relocated from the left-field reserve plaza. It will also serve as permanent home for the “Legends of Dodger Baseball” plaques. Don Newcombe, Steve Garvey and Fernando Valenzuela comprised this year’s inaugural class of “legends.”

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: July 23, 2019 at 11:34 AM | 32 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dodger stadium

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. kcgard2 Posted: July 23, 2019 at 01:22 PM (#5864213)
That's a very odd inaugural class for Legends of Dodger Baseball
   2. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 23, 2019 at 01:25 PM (#5864214)
and a space for live pregame and postgame music
...which will be about a third of the volume of the in-game "music."
   3. SoSH U at work Posted: July 23, 2019 at 01:31 PM (#5864216)

Eric Karros was snubbed.
   4. DL from MN Posted: July 23, 2019 at 01:39 PM (#5864221)
Looks nice. I enjoyed my visit to Dodger Stadium and sat in those bleachers. It was a great time but it definitely didn't have modern amenities.
   5. phredbird Posted: July 23, 2019 at 02:02 PM (#5864230)

OK, see what i mean?

I've been advocating for pushing the fences back across baseball to mitigate the TTO environment.

one of the first objections is that it's 'too expensive'.

i call bullsh1t, the owners are swimming in money and can afford it, they are renovating stadiums all the time.

this is the second time the dodgers have done major work to the stadium since 2000, and i'm sure they are not alone.
   6. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 23, 2019 at 02:02 PM (#5864231)

Yeah. is "Legends of Dodger Baseball" a euphemism for "Fan Favorites who aren't Hall of Famers?"
   7. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 23, 2019 at 02:03 PM (#5864232)
The introduction of standing/sitting/lounging areas with some view of the field, no matter how far, is such a critical, and simple 'value add' for the mall/ballpark. The presence of a drink rail alone at the backside of the last row of a section is a great improvement. People love to gather. Ex. watch any Mariners game, when a homer goes to CF, there's a swarm of humanity out there, it aint' because there's a great view of the game. Houston also did a great job with their space in CF, where nobody would otherwise spend a nickel on a seat.

As much as I love attending games, scoring if I can, and rarely leaving my seat, clubs are really misreading their customer base that do not allocate space to these spaces. Minor league parks, where nearly all creative and pioneering marketing ideas at the ballpark originate have long mastered this, as have most of the Cactus League parks that I've attended.

8. Itchy Row Posted: July 23, 2019 at 02:04 PM (#5864233)
Apparently the Dodgers only retire numbers of Hall of Famers, so non-HOFers can only become Legends.
   9. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 23, 2019 at 02:12 PM (#5864237)
Apparently the Dodgers only retire numbers of Hall of Famers, so non-HOFers can only become Legends.

They retired Jim Gilliam's number 19.
   10. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: July 23, 2019 at 02:13 PM (#5864238)
A question that must be asked: As this project will push into the parking lot, doesn't this mean Frank McCourt stands to make some money off it?
   11. RoyalFlush Posted: July 23, 2019 at 02:20 PM (#5864243)
OK, see what i mean?

I've been advocating for pushing the fences back across baseball to mitigate the TTO environment.

one of the first objections is that it's 'too expensive'.

i call bullsh1t, the owners are swimming in money and can afford it, they are renovating stadiums all the time.

this is the second time the dodgers have done major work to the stadium since 2000, and i'm sure they are not alone.

I don't believe that you - or anyone else - believe that money is actually the issue. I don't know who is offering these objections, but I think the first one would be "we like home runs and we don't think discouraging them is good for our bottom line".
   12. PreservedFish Posted: July 23, 2019 at 02:32 PM (#5864248)

This is an investment. They expect to make money by doing this work. Of course businesses would rather spend money on stuff that makes money than spend money on stuff that doesn't make money. You wanna tell the Dodgers that fewer homeruns will improve the quality of the product and eventually reap extra profits? Good luck with that argument.
   13. Howie Menckel Posted: July 23, 2019 at 02:46 PM (#5864252)
the entrance to the plaza will feature a Jackie Robinson statue

since the Mets' stadium has the Jackie Robinson Rotunda in its main entrance (team owner went to HS with Sandy Koufax), would have been sporting of the Dodgers to have a statue of David Wright. Or Marv Throneberry.
   14. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: July 23, 2019 at 03:03 PM (#5864258)
Yeah. is "Legends of Dodger Baseball" a euphemism for "Fan Favorites who aren't Hall of Famers?"

Yes. That is exactly what this is intended to be. The Dodgers, for whatever reason, only want to retire the numbers of players elected to the Hall of Fame. Gilliam had his number retired immediately after dying of a massive brain hemorrhage and, while I don't think anyone associated with the Dodgers would classify it as a mistake, it was an one off emotional decision-- not something that they are looking to expand upon.
   15. Itchy Row Posted: July 23, 2019 at 03:26 PM (#5864264)
Walter Alston is the only other Dodger whose number was retired without his being inducted, but he made the Hall a few years later.
   16. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 23, 2019 at 03:29 PM (#5864266)

Yes. That is exactly what this is intended to be. The Dodgers, for whatever reason, only want to retire the numbers of players elected to the Hall of Fame. Gilliam had his number retired immediately after dying of a massive brain hemorrhage and, while I don't think anyone associated with the Dodgers would classify it as a mistake, it was an one off emotional decision-- not something that they are looking to expand upon.

It seems odd to have an honor the exactly mimics another, greater, honor.
   17. SoSH U at work Posted: July 23, 2019 at 03:37 PM (#5864273)

I agree. And it can lead to weird situations, where you're honoring a guy who might have spent much less time with a club as opposed to some lifer. If Gary Sheffield is inducted into the Hall (and sports an LA cap, which is quite possible), I don't think he'd be more worthy of having his number retired by the Dodgers than Garvey or Lopes, for example.
   18. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: July 23, 2019 at 04:30 PM (#5864292)

Like how the Yankees have Monument Park? This Legends thing only seems odd because the Dodgers didn't get around to doing it decades ago.
I agree. And it can lead to weird situations, where you're honoring a guy who might have spent much less time with a club as opposed to some lifer. If Gary Sheffield is inducted into the Hall (and sports an LA cap, which is quite possible), I don't think he'd be more worthy of having his number retired by the Dodgers than Garvey or Lopes, for example.

The Dodgers haven't retired Mike Piazza's number so it seems that if your plaque doesn't have you wearing a Dodgers hat then your number isn't getting retired. Sheffield is interesting as a thought exercise, but, to me, he looks like a guy who should go in without a team designation in the event he is inducted.
   19. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: July 23, 2019 at 04:45 PM (#5864301)

I don't believe that you - or anyone else - believe that money is actually the issue. I don't know who is offering these objections, but I think the first one would be "we like home runs and we don't think discouraging them is good for our bottom line".

Plus who wants to upset Nick Castellanos?
   20. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 23, 2019 at 05:08 PM (#5864308)
Like how the Yankees have Monument Park? This Legends thing only seems odd because the Dodgers didn't get around to doing it decades ago.

Monument Park and number retirement for the Yankees is completely independent of the HoF. It's the mimicry of the Dodgers number retirement that makes no sense.

Elston Howard, Roger Maris, Thurman Munson, Billy Martin, Allie Reynolds, Don Mattingly, Ron Guidry, Tino Martinez, Paul O"neill, Bernie Williams, Willie Randolph, Mel Stottlemyre, Andy Pettitee, and Jorge Posada all have plaques and/or their number retired. None are HoFers.

Other were honored by the Yankees before the Hof, like Dimaggio, Mantle, Rizzuto, and Rivera.

21. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 23, 2019 at 05:09 PM (#5864311)
Elston Howard, Roger Maris, Thurman Munson, Billy Martin, Allie Reynolds, Don Mattingly, Ron Guidry, Tino Martinez, Paul O"neill, Bernie Williams, Willie Randolph, Mel Stottlemyre, Andy Pettitee, and Jorge Posada
"We Didn't Start the Fire" outtake?
   22. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: July 23, 2019 at 05:12 PM (#5864312)
"We were always winning! / While The Boss was sinning!"
   23. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: July 23, 2019 at 05:52 PM (#5864319)
Monument Park and number retirement for the Yankees is completely independent of the HoF. It's the mimicry of the Dodgers number retirement that makes no sense.

AFAIK, most teams just retire whatever number they want for whatever reason they want. I don't see why the Dodgers' tradition makes "no sense" compared to just retiring whatever number for whatever justification. I'm open to the idea that there is a better way to do it, but it seems to me that mostly teams are choosing the numbers they retire for completely arbitrary reasons.
   24. phredbird Posted: July 23, 2019 at 06:00 PM (#5864322)

11, 12, there have been threads here with discussions over the aesthetics of the game where some have complained about too many strikeouts and home runs.

the sportswriter peanut gallery complains about it constantly.

the obvious solution is too expand outfields. there's no reason to go into the reasons in depth, i know.

in these discussions there have been those who say it's too expensive, and i simply want to point out that there is plenty of money for this fix.

i know it will take a sea change in attitude before it could possibly be contemplated.

i realize that the owners tend to have a different take, since their short-term groupthink is centered around home run offenses.
   25. Dr. Vaux Posted: July 23, 2019 at 07:01 PM (#5864332)
And I haven't watched a game for weeks. I probably won't watch another one for the rest of the year.
   26. bachslunch Posted: July 23, 2019 at 07:04 PM (#5864334)
It would be great if they did something about the bleacher speakers. They’re deafening and should be adjusted somehow. Have been to games in the bleachers at many stadiums, and this was by far the worst in that regard.
   27. JAHV Posted: July 23, 2019 at 07:27 PM (#5864340)

I don't know if it's an actual policy or just de facto practice, but the Angels have taken the same stance, at least in the last few decades. Tim Salmon is someone who most would say is a no doubter to have his number retired by the franchise, but it hasn't been, and as far as I know, there are no plans to. The weird thing is that no one else is allowed to wear the number, though. It hasn't been worn, to my knowledge, since he retired in 2006. Why not just retire it?

And there is more weirdness with Vlad Guerrero, who meets the qualifications (HoF player who had a significant part of his career with the Angels) but whose number is being worn by Mike Trout. They certainly can't retire it now. I know those players are all in the Angels Hall of Fame, which seems to be like the "Legends" thing the Dodgers are doing.

Personally, I like that the bar is really high for number retirement for the Angels. I just don't understand why they don't retire Salmon's if they're not going to let anyone wear it anyway. Salmon wasn't quite Hall-worthy, but he was very good and was a career Angel who helped them to their only World Series. I don't think retiring his number would start them down the slippery slope.

28. puck Posted: July 23, 2019 at 07:52 PM (#5864344)
Fernando has his own 30-for-30. Of course he's a legend!
   29. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 23, 2019 at 08:05 PM (#5864349)
in these discussions there have been those who say it's too expensive, and i simply want to point out that there is plenty of money for this fix.

And the difference between "spend scads of money demolishing and then rebuilding large portions of the seating bowl, which will result in fewer seats and likely less revenue" and "build amenities that make money" has been explained.
   30. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: July 23, 2019 at 08:20 PM (#5864350)
It would be great if they did something about the bleacher speakers. They’re deafening and should be adjusted somehow. Have been to games in the bleachers at many stadiums, and this was by far the worst in that regard.

This is one of the listed upgrades:
New Sound System: A new sound system will replace the current speaker tower and provide an enhanced audio experience to fans on all levels of the ballpark with more directed sound inside the stadium.
However, it remains to be seen if that results in the volume decreasing from ear splitting.
   31. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 23, 2019 at 08:37 PM (#5864352)
Ugh. If anything it sounds like they’re increasing the volume.
   32. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: July 23, 2019 at 08:40 PM (#5864354)
Personally, I like that the bar is really high for number retirement for the Angels. I just don't understand why they don't retire Salmon's if they're not going to let anyone wear it anyway. Salmon wasn't quite Hall-worthy, but he was very good and was a career Angel who helped them to their only World Series. I don't think retiring his number would start them down the slippery slope.

The Dodgers have done the same thing with 34 for Fernando. This is the part of their policy that makes no sense. They finally did put Garvey's 6 back into circulation after 20+ years of no one wearing it so maybe after this honor for Fernando someone will wear his number again.

I can see keeping a number out of circulation for awhile after a player retires if they have a shot at the Hall. For example, when Clayton Kershaw retires they aren't going to let someone wear 22 until he is officially inducted into the HoF, but once a candidate falls off the ballot then it should go back into circulation (or just retire the number anyway).

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.