Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, February 18, 2012

ESPN apologizes for offensive headline on mobile sites for Jeremy Lin story

ESPN has apologized for using a racial slur in a headline for a story on Knicks sensation Jeremy Lin.

ESPN ran the headline “Chink in the Armor” after Lin had nine turnovers in New York’s loss to the New Orleans Hornets on Friday night on its mobile website that could be seen on phones and tablet computers.

Lin is the NBA’s first American-born player of Chinese or Taiwanese descent. He has captivated sports fans with unexpected dominance on the court that sparked a seven-game winning streak.

ESPN says in a statement Saturday it removed the headline 35 minutes after it was posted. The cable network says it is “conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake.”

The story was first reported by Outsports.com.

Fat Al Posted: February 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM | 203 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. CrosbyBird Posted: February 23, 2012 at 02:05 PM (#4067091)
Yeah, not my point, though. Not trading with the guy in the lead is fine and expected; it's when the losers actively decide who the winner is going to be that real problems arise. It's a structural problem to some degree, and the endgame relies heavily on people thwarting the leader in some ways but not others in order to not disintegrate into farce.

In my experience, most groups don't do that. If someone is within 1 turn of winning, nobody trades with him and he gets the robber every time. If multiple people are within 1 turn of winning, you try to pick the guy most likely to win and thwart him or you try to screw both of them at the same time.

I wonder if it's legitimate to do this, but every group I've seen uses this strategy: "if you put the robber on him instead of me, I'll give you an ore." In a 4-player game, you might get three resources out of the robber that way: two players bribe you, and the third guy gets stolen from. That makes a special card strategy very viable for the guy who is closed out of the great settlement spots. That's part of what makes Settlers so fantastic a game; there really are a lot of viable strategies.

One of the house rules that I've seen (I played it once and felt it was neutral) is the "resource chit." Every time there's a roll that doesn't match any of your settlements, you get a resource chit. You can trade in a number of resource chits equal to your current victory point total for any single resource. With this house rule, it's really hard for the game to be completely out of reach for any player, and that can help avoid blatant kingmaking.

On the other hand, the game is short enough that it's not that serious a problem. It sucks when you play a three hour+ game and you lose because of a non-competing player's arbitrary decision on the last turn; in a 45-minute game, it's a bit easier to swallow.
   202. CrosbyBird Posted: February 23, 2012 at 02:12 PM (#4067100)
re: M:TG

I'm not a huge fan of the most recent block (Innistrad), but the previous one was really fantastic.

I don't care so much about theme as I do cool mechanics, and I really don't like the double-sided cards at all. I appreciate the innovation but I don't really love the cards.

I have to get into constructed. I play only limited and I really miss out on understanding a huge portion of the game. I think I'm resistant to how rare-heavy (read: expensive) the really competitive decks are.
   203. Something Other Posted: March 01, 2012 at 04:51 AM (#4071706)
One of the house rules that I've seen (I played it once and felt it was neutral) is the "resource chit." Every time there's a roll that doesn't match any of your settlements, you get a resource chit. You can trade in a number of resource chits equal to your current victory point total for any single resource. With this house rule, it's really hard for the game to be completely out of reach for any player, and that can help avoid blatant kingmaking.
Interesting idea--it does reduce the role of luck, which I generally prefer.

Yeah, it's when you're halfway through the game and something like this happens that wrecks the fun: You're clearly well on your way towards taking over longest road. The guy who you're going to take it from is, at that point, a little ahead. After you take the road, he'll be slightly behind you. The third player is a likely non-entity, and the fourth player is already hosed. So, the first player gives the fourth player three ores, one wheat, two wood and two brick to take his existing brick and wood and build three roads to sever your ability to take longest road.

Ugh.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.