Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

ESPN: Mike Scioscia talks Mike Napoli trade

Interesting comments by Napoli on his time with the Angels, I don’t recall seeing anything about them when he made them

In August, Napoli told the Dallas Morning News he felt constrained by Scioscia’s high demands on his catchers.

“I always felt like I was looking over my shoulder to see if I was doing things right,” Napoli said. “I had ‘bad hands.’ I was so worried about my setup and the mechanics all the time. I learned a lot. I learned a lot of what I do there, but playing there just wasn’t much fun.”

Also from Saxon at ESPN: Scioscia and the new GM: setting boundaries

Jim Wisinski Posted: October 26, 2011 at 02:03 AM | 115 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: angels, arizona, rays, yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Ray (CTL) Posted: October 29, 2011 at 03:05 AM (#3981715)
That they thought they had to give ANYTHING OF VALUE to get Wells in return strains credulity. And so the conclusion is that they didn't think they were giving anything of value.

That idea doesn't strain credulity at all; they thought they had to give value to get value.

The Wells contract was a running joke for years. Nobody in the Anaheim front office was aware of this?
   102. JimMusComp likes Billy Eppler.... Posted: October 29, 2011 at 03:49 AM (#3981957)
The Wells contract was a running joke for years. Nobody in the Anaheim front office was aware of this?

This. The fact that they thought they had to give up ANYTHING to get Wells makes the former FO look foolish.
   103. Something Other Posted: October 29, 2011 at 06:55 AM (#3982029)
It seems bizarre, but if you don't look at advanced stats or go to advanced stats sites, and bought into Wells defensive reputation... maybe? Sort of? Though even if you're looking at something like range factor, Wells doesn't stand out. His assists aren't anything special....

Fielding percentage?
   104. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: October 29, 2011 at 07:07 AM (#3982032)
Looks like Scioscia was right. Napoli couldn't call a good enough game to get the Rangers through last night's 9th and 10th, or keep the game close tonight. Why did he call for the HBP? Bad timing. Mathis would have called for a fastball on the outside black.

In short, the Angels have been redeemed, and Mike Napoli is indeed the worst catcher of all time.
   105. Ray (CTL) Posted: October 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM (#3982062)
Yes, Napoli is not a World Champion. Scioscia was right!
   106. BWV 1129 Posted: October 29, 2011 at 05:16 PM (#3982193)

I'm not saying it was smart. I'm saying they wanted Wells at any cost.
   107. BWV 1129 Posted: October 29, 2011 at 05:18 PM (#3982197)
In seriousness, the bases-loaded walk to Yadier Molina probably would have been a strikeout with Mathis back there.
   108. Tripon Posted: October 29, 2011 at 05:24 PM (#3982200)
It seems bizarre, but if you don't look at advanced stats or go to advanced stats sites, and bought into Wells defensive reputation... maybe? Sort of? Though even if you're looking at something like range factor, Wells doesn't stand out. His assists aren't anything special....

Fielding percentage?

Probably the Angels pro scouting reports, and awards like Gold Gloves(Wells has 3 of them), etc. The Angels are a pretty traditional organization. I doubt using any sort of stats like range factor, fielding percentage were factored heavily.
   109. Tripon Posted: October 29, 2011 at 05:30 PM (#3982204)
Also, the Jays lucked out on the Vernon Wells trade, at least on a WAR/Salary basis. Due to how ridiculousness back loaded the contract was, the Jays paid only $40 million for 17 WAR over 5 years. Averaging out 3.4 WAR per year for only $40 million total is pretty good, and then they found a patsy in the Angels. Just makes you want to laugh at the absurdity.
   110. ...and Toronto selects: Troy Tulowitzki Posted: October 29, 2011 at 06:15 PM (#3982233)
Anthopoulos went over this again last night on radio w/ Wilner. They had Arencibia who had just won the Triple-A MVP award, and even better prospect D'Arnaud coming up right behind him. Adam Lind signed to a longterm deal, and had just signed Encarnacion whom AA gave his word would get a large number of AB's in '11. He needed good bullpen arms and would likely get a "B" compesation pick for the '12 draft from Fransico.
   111. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 29, 2011 at 06:17 PM (#3982235)
In seriousness, the bases-loaded walk to Yadier Molina probably would have been a strikeout with Mathis back there.

Wait, why?

It was a strike (per Gameday and my eye) and I don't see anything Napoli did wrong in receiving it.

I think it was called a ball b/c Feldman had no idea where the ball was going.
   112. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 29, 2011 at 06:20 PM (#3982237)
Probably the Angels pro scouting reports, and awards like Gold Gloves(Wells has 3 of them), etc. The Angels are a pretty traditional organization. I doubt using any sort of stats like range factor, fielding percentage were factored heavily.
After failing to sign both Crawford and Beltre, the FO was under a lot of pressure to spend the money they'd slotted for those guys. They probably also looked at Wells' 2010 and 2008 numbers, decided that 2009 was a fluke, and wanted his bat in their punchless (94 OPS+) lineup. The combination of pressure to spend a lot of money and poor player evaluation is a deadly one.

To be fair, if Wells and Napoli both had their 2010 season all over again, things could have been very different. Nearly everyone on this board hated the trade (including me), but nobody was predicting that Napoli would be one of the 10 best players in the league, and that Wells would be one of the 10 worst.
   113. Tripon Posted: October 29, 2011 at 06:51 PM (#3982251)

Wait, why?

It was a strike (per Gameday and my eye) and I don't see anything Napoli did wrong in receiving it.

I think it was called a ball b/c Feldman had no idea where the ball was going.

That's the joke. If Mathis was batting, he'd struck out. Note BWV didn't mention that Mathis was catching in this situation. :)
   114. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 29, 2011 at 07:07 PM (#3982259)
That's the joke. If Mathis was batting, he'd struck out. Note BWV didn't mention that Mathis was catching in this situation. :)

That's not how I interpret "back there", but I hope you're right.

At bat, Mathis would have flailed helplessly at the pitch, and made the call a moot point.
   115. BWV 1129 Posted: October 30, 2011 at 07:06 PM (#3982841)
I meant Mathis behind the plate. Despite the "In seriousness", it was tongue-in-cheek -- Mathis is allegedly better at receiving the ball than Napoli is, so maybe he would have gotten a strike call on a pitch that was a strike.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Randy Jones
for his generous support.