Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, March 20, 2006

ESPN - Wily Mo to the BoSox for Arroyo

Good deal for the Sox. 

Mister High Standards Posted: March 20, 2006 at 05:36 PM | 114 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: red sox, reds

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Psychedelic Red Pants Posted: March 21, 2006 at 11:53 AM (#1910176)
As an Indians fan, I'm a bit bewildered -- wouldn't the Tribe or any other team that could play Pena full-time be willing to give up more than the Sox for him? I know the Sox need depth and a right fielder for next year, but Cleveland needs a Blake upgrade THIS year.

I don't think the Reds called around to see what they could get for Wily Mo. They decided they needed more starters, they found one they liked, and they asked what the price was. They 'bought' with Pena rather than selling him to the highest bidder. By demanding a starter, the Reds also reduced the number of possible suitors to a handful of teams -- few teams feel that they have too much pitching this time of year. The big puzzle (to me, anyway) is why the Reds were so keen on getting a starter for this year. The Reds were going to suck this year no matter what -- why spend one of their most desireable trading chits for short term marginal improvement?
   102. Dr. Vaux Posted: March 21, 2006 at 12:29 PM (#1910181)
The crazy thing is, they might not suck. ZIPS+PT had them for 83-79 before this trade, and tht was with Freel on the bench. The downgrade from Pena to Freel is much less than the upgrade from Paul Wilson or other crap to Aroyo. I think this puts the Reds ahead of Pittsburgh for sure, and probably Chicago. They, Milwaukee, and St Louis could all win between 82 and 90.
   103. OnWI Posted: March 21, 2006 at 01:49 PM (#1910219)
Vaux:

I here ya'. Here is what I see happening.

Wily Mo leaves a club that:

--yanked him in and out of the lineup
--called him lazy
--griped about his defense
--ditched him at first chance for the pudgy pasty Dumbo wanna be
--has a history of being less than supportive to their players of "color"
--has a recent history of s*cking

Wily Mo joins a club that:

--is highly competitive
--with a Latino in a leadership role
--has a fan base who would cheer Satan if can go yard 40 times a year
--has a history of accomodating players with "different" approaches to the game
--the front office is considered fairly smart and wouldn't get the guy if they didn't have a plan

I do NOT think Wily Mo is a bad dude. I think the Reds are a bunch of hayseeds who don't know talent from a squash. (stealing that line from Pop, it's so absurd I think it's funny)

The Sox got a 24 year old guy with a load of talent who will be mentored by one of the most beloved players in the league.

Boston is going to crush on this trade. Absolutely CRUSH.

Cincy got raped by a 10 foot pole wrapped in barbed wire. And they handed the Sox the d*mn pole!!

Losers.

Later,

H3
   104. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: March 21, 2006 at 01:58 PM (#1910232)
Come on. WMP = Wily of Mass Production (or some such)
No, WMP = Wily Mo Pena. It's already his monogram. It can't also be his nickname just by standing for something else.
   105. TDF, situational idiot Posted: March 21, 2006 at 03:15 PM (#1910299)
Wily Mo leaves a club that:

--ditched him at first chance for the pudgy pasty Dumbo wanna be

Which is why they sent Pena to Louisville last year, and kept Kearns in the lineup.

--has a history of being less than supportive to their players of "color"

Yea. Look at the way they've treated Morgan. And Perez. And Concepcion. And Soto. And Rijo. And Davis.
   106. chris p Posted: March 21, 2006 at 03:31 PM (#1910327)
C. Crisp should really be C+C Out Factory or something.

no it shouldn't. basically, i'm with mca on the nickname issue.
   107. OnWI Posted: March 21, 2006 at 03:40 PM (#1910343)
TDF:

What a homer. Kearns comes to camp fat and gets 152 at bats before getting shipped to KY. (63 in April and 89 in May). To the tune of a .230 average with no power. Hmm, tasty.

Meanwhile Wily gets 48(!) ABs the first two months. Some of this attributed to an injury but some of it also the club thinking Austin "Tubby" Kearns is the preferred choice.

And yeah, gotta love how the Reds relationship with Barry Larkin finished. And how the yahoos have been chanting for Griffey's head the last few years because he had the gall to get injured. Need I go on? Or are you going to claim these things didn't happen?

Which of course would end this exchange. Because I heard for myself some goof named "Andy" claim on the flagship station for the Reds how Ken Griffey Jr. had failed Cincinnati and its fans. He TORE THE GUY APART.

Sweet town you got there.

Later,

H3
   108. TDF, situational idiot Posted: March 21, 2006 at 03:56 PM (#1910366)
H3:

If you listen to Andy Furman, you are an idiot. This is not a dig at you - listening to the guy turns your brain to mush. Literally.

And the Reds' relationship with Larkin? They gave him a 3 yr/$27 mill contract when he was 37, simply because Lindner listened too closely to the fans. Plus, Larkin fueled the fire by crying in the paper every single day. He rewarded Cincy with 250 games of crap. Then, he cried some more in the paper (to get the fans behind him, again) to get another contract. The city (and the team) LOVED Larkin. If anyone soured that relationship, it was Barry.

Finally, when all was said and done last year, Kearns and Pena had the same OPS+. And you can call him "Tubby" all you want, but his defense is lightyears ahead of Pena.
   109. OnWI Posted: March 21, 2006 at 04:26 PM (#1910420)
TDF:

Well, I wasn't in charge of the car radio. On family trips I'm still parked in the "back of the bus". Thank God for the iPod.

I know Kearns can play. But at the start of 2005 he was in TERRIBLE physical shape. He was waddling out to right field. Pena was coming off a HUGE second half in 2004. It just seemed pretty bizarre that any organization could look at these two guys AT THAT MOMENT, and say, "give me the fat dude".

And I notice you didn't respond to the Griffey comments. So I'm guessing you heard the same thing. And likely that wasn't the only time that hayseed was preaching that sermon. Heard from more than a few folks from the brier patch that night yapping that Junior needed to go.

Other then dumping Casey on the Pirates (the only team in the division dumber then the Reds) I think your management team is setting you up for a long trip down a very dark road.

Sorry,

H3
   110. MM1f Posted: March 21, 2006 at 06:56 PM (#1910718)
"--has a history of being less than supportive to their players of "color""

Boston actually has a worse repuatation for this
   111. Psychedelic Red Pants Posted: March 21, 2006 at 07:04 PM (#1910744)
No, WMP = Wily Mo Pena. It's already his monogram. It can't also be his nickname just by standing for something else.

no it shouldn't. basically, i'm with mca on the nickname issue.

You two are no fun.
   112. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: March 21, 2006 at 07:10 PM (#1910758)
C+C Out Factory or something

Isn't that Counsell and Clayton?
   113. Psychedelic Red Pants Posted: March 21, 2006 at 07:16 PM (#1910769)
Isn't that Counsell and Clayton?

I thought they'd been shut down by OSHA.
   114. TDF, situational idiot Posted: March 21, 2006 at 08:26 PM (#1910967)
H3:

I didn't respond to the Jr. comments because I didn't think I had to. (1) It was Andy Furman; and (2) the same people who said those things were the ones buying World Series tickets the day after the Reds got him - by your logic, I could use that as eveidence that Cincy is exceptionally enlightened when it comes to people "of color".

You know as well as I do that the blowhards on radio, and their listeners, exist only on the extremes of opinions - Player A is either the greatest player ever, or the worst piece of crap to walk the earth. Sometimes during the same game.

Most fans and sportswriters know the truth - that Jr. wasn't going to turn a lucky 2nd place team into a WS champion, and he wasn't a POS because of his injuries. It was only guys like Furman who said Jr. was lacking as a person because he got hurt.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Chicago Joe
for his generous support.