Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Even when Tim Tebow is hitting .131, his Triple-A team is drawing fans in droves

We are now a month into Tim Tebow’s Triple-A career, and it’s pretty hard to overstate how horrifically the former football player is performing.

Through 26 games for the Syracuse Mets this year, Tebow is hitting .131/.198/.179 with zero home runs and a 37 percent strikeout rate. He currently has only 11 hits on the season, 12 if you count the time he accidentally kicked his first-base coach in the groin. After saying in February that an MLB call-up was his goal for the season, the 31-year-old outfielder currently ranks last in the entire Triple-A level in OPS (.376) and wRC+ (-4).

Those latter two numbers are on pace to be the worst marks the Triple-A season has seen in the last decade, per Fangraphs. And, keep in mind, Tebow plays a bat-first position at left-field and won’t be making the majors through his fielding or baserunning.

If there’s player who has earned the crown of “Worst Player in Triple-A” this year, Tebow is the runaway leader right now. That hasn’t stopped fans from coming out in droves to see the Heisman Trophy winner and former NFL first-round draft pick.

I suspect that this is telling of something, but would that I knew what it was….

QLE Posted: May 11, 2019 at 04:25 AM | 25 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dollah dollah bills, y'all, mendoza line, tim tebow, tim tebow tim tebow tim tebow tim tebow tim tebow tim tebow, triple a

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. akrasian Posted: May 11, 2019 at 01:23 PM (#5840995)
He's obviously overmatched.

I was going to rant about him blocking somebody younger who has a shot - but Syracuse is full of former major league outfielders in their 30s. I think their roster has one OF listed under 30, and he's not hitting either. Still, Tebow is the worst hitter by far, and even Rajai Davis has a better chance of contributing in the majors at this point than Tebow.

Demote Tebow to a level where he's not overmatched at least, for a few weeks. Or better yet - cut him. That would have happened already if the Mets weren't using AAA for publicity instead of helping the major league team.
   2. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 11, 2019 at 01:44 PM (#5841001)
If he’s not blocking anyone, why should the Mets demote or release Tebow? He’s already done AA with some modest success. Either he eventually learns to adapt to AAA or he doesn’t, and at his age there isn’t much time for repeating levels in the minors. The Syracuse team is probably quite happy to have him if he’s drawing fans. It’s the first year of their affiliation with the Mets, and developing that relationship seems more important than cutting Tebow just because you can.

EDIT: TFA indicates the Mets own the Syracuse franchise, so it’s a matter of keeping themselves happy rather than the affiliate’s ownership. That may make them more greedy than benevolent, but they still would have nothing to gain by cutting or demoting Tebow.
   3. Spahn Insane Posted: May 11, 2019 at 02:32 PM (#5841006)
How about cutting him on the principle that guys you employ at the next level down from the majors actually be able to play baseball at that level.
   4. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 11, 2019 at 03:01 PM (#5841013)
Signing Tebow was nothing but a publicity stunt. It's always been nothing but a publicity stunt. At least Eddie Gaedel was almost guaranteed to get on base.
   5. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: May 11, 2019 at 04:41 PM (#5841036)
If he continues not hitting, maybe he can start biting the heads off chickens to keep fans coming to the park.
   6. caspian88 Posted: May 11, 2019 at 04:43 PM (#5841037)
I hope they keep him, because I don't want the Giants to pick up yet another has-been or never-was corner outfielder as part of their Titanic promenade deck remodel.
   7. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 11, 2019 at 06:44 PM (#5841089)
How about cutting him on the principle that guys you employ at the next level down from the majors actually be able to play baseball at that level.
The Mets would apparently have to cut a lot of guys if they adopted that principle.
   8. Howie Menckel Posted: May 11, 2019 at 10:11 PM (#5841130)
I hope they keep him, because I don't want the Giants to pick up yet another has-been or never-was corner outfielder as part of their Titanic promenade deck remodel.

they claimed Aaron Altherr off waivers today, no kidding

GIANTS LF STARTS (x if jettisoned already)
Gerardo Parra 15-X
Connor Joe 5-X
Yangervis Solarte 4-X
Brandon Belt 4
Tyler Austin 4 (acquired in April trade with Twins)
Michael Gerber 4 (just called up)
Mac Williamson 3 (just called up)

GIANTS CF STARTS
Kevin Pillar 32 (acquired in early April from Blue Jays
Steven Duggar 7

GIANTS RF STARTS
Duggar 28
Parra 8
Michael Reed 2-x
Williamson 1

I think it's fair to say that this OF is "in flux."
and here comes Altherr as contestant No. 11

7 players started at least 15 G in LF for SFG last year - the high was 37. of those 7, only Williamson is still on the team (and he just returned).
3 of the 4 players who started 16 G in CF are gone; only Duggar remains
the departed McCutchen got 127 G in RF in 2018
   9. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 11, 2019 at 10:53 PM (#5841140)
FWIW, Tebow is outhitting former Yankee IF Ronald Torreyes in the IL! (by AVG, Torreyes edges in him wRC+....I've never seen a wRC+ of -1 before!)
   10. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: May 11, 2019 at 11:30 PM (#5841146)
I’ve always been willing to give Tebow some benefit of the doubt — he seemed like a hard worker who has improved each season in the minors. But I was a little surprised to turn on m6 tv the other day and see that Tebow has also been hosting an obstacle course racing show on CBS called Million Dollar Mile. And he apparently executive produced a Christian football movie last year, too. Even if the show was all filmed during the off-season, it does raise the question of how focused TT is on baseball and whether he’s really just preparing for his next career at this point. If he was perform8ng better at AAA I wouldn’t think much of it. I mean, he’s probably just overmatched talent-wise (and not young), but his AA stats don’t indicate a guy who should be this bad.
   11. eric Posted: May 11, 2019 at 11:45 PM (#5841148)
but his AA stats don’t indicate a guy who should be this bad.

His AA stats indicated a guy who had no power and an obscene strikeout rate. Extreme luck made his slash line look as high as it was: mediocre. He was overmatched at AA, and now that luck is evening out he looks truly putrid at AAA.
   12. John Reynard Posted: May 12, 2019 at 05:18 AM (#5841161)
So, related to the $5 ticket thread:

Would it be worse for a team like the Marlins to run a ton of $5 ticket nights, potentially damaging their pricing power later?

Or

Sign Tebow and put him in MLB and see if he raises attendance?

Sadly, this is an idea Jeter might do if he thought it would get warm bodies in. Miami might be too far south to really benefit. But, you never know until you try, right?

And I'll concur with Eric above that Tebow's AA line from a 30-year old suggests roster filler unless he's a slick-fielding C/SS/CF in which case he could be a weak-bat UTIL in MLB. Since Tebow is a LF and doesn't appear to even be a great one........keeping him going on is a service to the Mets affiliates, not their farm system.

13. Lassus Posted: May 12, 2019 at 08:09 AM (#5841170)
I would also like to point out that there isn't really shit to do in Syracuse.
   14. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 12, 2019 at 08:46 AM (#5841171)
I've never seen a wRC+ of -1 before!

Everyone who has posted in this thread has a 0 wRC+.
   15. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 12, 2019 at 08:46 AM (#5841172)
So, related to the $5 ticket thread:

Would it be worse for a team like the Marlins to run a ton of $5 ticket nights, potentially damaging their pricing power later?

Or

Sign Tebow and put him in MLB and see if he raises attendance?

Hell, why not go whole hog and re-activate Derek Jeter? Even at 44 he's a better prospect than Tebow.
   16. Banta Posted: May 12, 2019 at 12:13 PM (#5841192)
I would also like to point out that there isn't really #### to do in Syracuse.

I would contend there is ONLY #### to do in Syracuse!

But I won't because people in Buffalo shouldn't throw stones. Only snowballs.
Or so they say.
   17. akrasian Posted: May 12, 2019 at 02:07 PM (#5841212)
they still would have nothing to gain by cutting or demoting Tebow.

Well, giving playing time to someone who realistically might contribute a tiny bit in the majors is something to gain.

It's hilarious - basically their entire outfield in AAA are either never was oldies or players way past being effective. Every offseason there are players floating around who with a break or two might be able to help the major league team slightly. Instead the Mets focused on getting and keeping players like Tebow.
   18. Howie Menckel Posted: May 12, 2019 at 02:20 PM (#5841215)
for many of us, it's worth it to see the Mets keep playing Tebow just to read all the overreactive statements. so kudos!
   19. Tim M Posted: May 12, 2019 at 02:41 PM (#5841219)
Everyone who has posted in this thread has a 0 wRC+

Tim Lincecum's dad used to post here once in a while, you could say he "created" some wins.
   20. Lassus Posted: May 12, 2019 at 03:33 PM (#5841227)
Wait, what?
   21. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: May 12, 2019 at 09:29 PM (#5841343)
Hell, why not go whole hog and re-activate Derek Jeter? Even at 44 he's a better prospect than Tebow.

He’s not done with plotlines from the original Major League yet, can’t be moving on to #2 already.
   22. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: May 12, 2019 at 11:48 PM (#5841400)
Tim Lincecum's dad used to post here once in a while, you could say he "created" some wins.
Bob Tufts had one Major League plate appearance. He did not get a hit and posted a -100 OPS+. So, as far as we know, he has the least offensive value of any BBTF poster!

I would say he was probably still better at baseball than the rest of us, though.
   23. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: May 13, 2019 at 10:10 AM (#5841440)
Tebow's BB% and K% are almost identical to last year.

His BABIP plummeted from .417(!!) to .255.

24. puck Posted: May 13, 2019 at 10:35 AM (#5841447)
Wow, Tebo (38 K's in 102 PA's) isn't even close to having the highest K rate on the team.

Travis Taijeron, 1B, 48 K's in 112 PA's.
   25. Ithaca2323 Posted: May 13, 2019 at 12:22 PM (#5841505)
Even if the show was all filmed during the off-season, it does raise the question of how focused TT is on baseball and whether he’s really just preparing for his next career at this point

This is the part that always struck me as glossed over. If Tebow (and the Mets) were really serious about him making up for lost time playing baseball and earning a shot in the majors, this stuff wouldn't be happening. I'm not saying all minor-leaguers need to be all baseball, all the time. But a guy his age (with his financial security) should be

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim
for his generous support.