Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fernando Is A Bad Enough Pitcher To Lead Astros To Number 100!!!

100! Congrats BBC!

Losses, that is.

He actually wasn’t that bad – struck out a lot of guys, 6 in 5 innings, didn’t walk anyone, gave up 3 runs on 6 hits.

What was the absolute most amazing thing about this game is that Jason Castro threw out Jon Jay TWICE – once trying to steal second on a strikemout, throwemout; once trying to steal third on a strikeemout, throwemout. JASON CASTRO MANAGED TO THROW OUT 2 RUNNERS IN THE SAME GAME!!! Will miracles nevah cease??!!

Trouble is that Kyle Lohse was GOOD, there’s a reason he’s the ace this year. Can you believe it? Better than Adam Wainwright? He gave up 4 hits and 2 walks over 7 innings, but no cigar.  You could see the guys breathe a sigh of relief when Mitchell Boggs, a good reliever, came in. He’s good, but he’s no ace. The guys managed to score a run on 3 singles – Brett Wallace tapped an outside slider opposite field to score Paredes from third.

...Good news is that Larry Bowa is not going to be managing. I have absolutely NO idea why on earth they interviewed him in the first place. Crane says that they will choose the manager by the end of next week, so unless someone is interviewing after Bogar, it means they only interviewed 5 guys – and, naturally, nobody who is going to cost any sort of money. And best I know, they have NOT interviewed Brad Ausmus – too bad.

Repoz Posted: September 19, 2012 at 06:20 AM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: astros

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dangerous Dean Posted: September 19, 2012 at 09:56 AM (#4239943)
Welcome to the AL, Lastros.
   2. Lassus Posted: September 19, 2012 at 09:58 AM (#4239946)
I thought maybe they'd moved Fernando Martinez to the mound.
   3. formerly dp Posted: September 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM (#4239950)
I thought maybe they'd moved Fernando Martinez to the mound.

My first thought as well...like in a 19-inning, heart-wrenching loss. Although that's having a lot of faith in his durability-- he'd probably tear a labrum warming up in the bullpen.
   4. flournoy Posted: September 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM (#4239958)
My first thought was Fernando Valenzuela, but I was smart enough to realize that couldn't be right.
   5. Rants Mulliniks Posted: September 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM (#4239963)
Any idea what their offseason plans are? As the roster stands now, I don't see how they don't lose 125 games next year when they have to play almost 60 games against the Rangers, A's and Angels. Its not liek they're going to sign and big FA's, and who coudl they trade for?
   6. base ball chick Posted: September 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM (#4240012)
dean,

first in losses, last in ANY league. it's not like it's gonna be tougher to lose in the AL - actually, it's gonna be even tougher for teams from preventing the astros from reaching that magical mark of 121 - The All Time Sacred Losses/162 Games Record!!!!!

lassus,

sorry, if i had known repoz was gonna honor me, i would have put a hyphen between A-Bad.
seems i remember all yall mets fans weren't too impressed with him when he finally got to the majors. was he a crappy fielder and runner then, too? i seem to remember he was.

fluornoy,

A-Bad was actually Good last night, compared to his usual outings. it wasn't HIS fault they had scott moore (a 3rd baseman) playing RF and blooper hits over the heads of infielders happen. and errors leading to runs happen, too. he had 2 actual GOOD gloves out there. hard to have confidence.

rants,

well, it's not like i see any minor leaguer they have in either AAA or AA who looks as if he could come up and play successfully in the bigs. i am positive they are gonna trade lowrie if they find any takers with a decent return. i would guess they are scouring the scrap heaps and will sign a bunch of scott moores. i would guess they are gonna sign a few el cheapo FA relievers and an el cheapo FA position player so that the MLBPA won't scream so loud. the only pitcher i can see in the high minors who looked any good is jose cisneros, and you never hear anything about him. i guess he's been designated Minor League Filler.

we had plenty of difficulty getting FA, i mean, GOOD FA to sign when the team was really good. not exactly sure why, but we did. might could have been the owner, youneverknow. since 1995, the only 2 top notch FA we signed were carlos lee and jeff kent. and andy pettitte. and of course, Da Rojah - who i promise you wouldn't have even thought of signing if andy hadn't happened to sign first.

i have a very VERY hard time believing that the owner is gonna sign a ivan rodriguez/magglio ordonez to next year's team. or even the 14 or 15 team. i have a very hard time believing that any top FA will even agree to sign. i can't see him agreeing to take a vernon wells/alexis rios contract. i can't see him agreeing to do a red sox/dodgers trade.
   7. Jarrod HypnerotomachiaPoliphili(Teddy F. Ballgame) Posted: September 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM (#4240026)
Are you rooting for Israel in the WBC qualifying round, bbc?
   8. base ball chick Posted: September 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM (#4240040)
jarrod

it's an idea. brad ausmus is "jewish" even though he's christian, so maybe i'm jewish too because youneverknow - i mean, my mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's just might have been one of those Black jewish tribes youneverknow.

anyhow, any excuse to root for bradley awesomeness will do.
   9. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: September 19, 2012 at 06:05 PM (#4240445)
Lastros

Man, why hadn't I heard of this before?
   10. base ball chick Posted: September 19, 2012 at 10:38 PM (#4240693)
it's ok voxter - that's old news

it's gonna change oct 4 to ALastros

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.