Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Final rosters for 2013 World Baseball Classic announced

Many of the game’s elite stars and veterans of Major League Baseball (MLB), Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB), the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) and other leagues from Asia, Latin America, Europe and Australia will participate in the third edition of the World Baseball Classic.  From the ranks of Major League Baseball, the rosters include 2012 American League Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera of Venezuela as well as fellow past Most Valuable Players Ryan Braun (USA), Joe Mauer (USA), Justin Morneau (Canada), Jimmy Rollins (USA), Miguel Tejada (Dominican Republic) and Joey Votto (Canada).  Reigning Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey is on the roster of Team USA.

Including the names above, there are 45 Major League All-Stars who appear on the submitted rosters (alphabetically): Elvis Andrus (Venezuela), Heath Bell (USA), Carlos Beltran (Puerto Rico), Braun, Asdrubal Cabrera (Venezuela), Robinson Cano (Dominican Republic), Nelson Cruz (Dominican Republic), Dickey, Yovani Gallardo (Mexico), Adrian Gonzalez (Mexico), Carlos Gonzalez (Venezuela), Gio Gonzalez (USA), Ramon Hernandez (Venezuela), Omar Infante (Venezuela), Adam Jones (USA), Andruw Jones (Netherlands), Craig Kimbrel (USA), Russell Martin (Canada), Mauer, Yadier Molina (Puerto Rico), Miguel Montero (Venezuela), Morneau, Chris Perez (USA), Brandon Phillips (USA), Martin Prado (Venezuela), Hanley Ramirez (Dominican Republic), Jose Reyes (Dominican Republic), Alex Rios (Puerto Rico), Fernando Rodney (Dominican Republic), Francisco Rodriguez (Venezuela), Rollins, Pablo Sandoval (Venezuela), Giancarlo Stanton (USA), Mark Teixeira (USA), Tejada, Jose Valverde (Dominican Republic), Javier Vazquez (Puerto Rico), Shane Victorino (USA), Ryan Vogelsong (USA), Edinson Volquez (Dominican Republic), Votto, David Wright (USA), Carlos Zambrano (Venezuela) and Ben Zobrist (USA).

Other participants of note are eight returning players from Japan’s 2009 Championship Team, including two Pacific League MVPs, pitcher Toshiya Sugiuchi and outfielder Seiichi Uchikawa, as well as the reigning Central League MVP, catcher Shinnosuke Abe; 11 returning players from Korea’s 2009 Finalist squad, including infielder Tae-Kyun Kim and outfielder Hyun-Soo Kim; Cuban stars Frederich Cepeda, Alfredo Despaigne and Yulieski Gourriel; Canadian relief pitcher John Axford, infielder Brett Lawrie and pitcher Jameson Taillon, the second overall choice in the 2010 MLB Draft; longtime Major League pitcher Chien-Ming Wang of Chinese Taipei, marking his first World Baseball Classic appearance, as well as 2008 MLB Futures Game MVP Che-Hsuan Lin of Chinese Taipei; 2005 MLB Futures Game MVP Justin Huber of Australia; Team Italy’s Anthony Rizzo and Alex Liddi, who became the first Italian-born and developed Major League player ever in 2011; Netherlands infielders Andrelton Simmons and Xander Bogaerts; Minor Leaguers Ray Chang and Wei Wang of Team China; and members of the 2012 World Series Champion San Francisco Giants, including National League Championship Series MVP Marco Scutaro of Venezuela and outfielder Angel Pagan of Puerto Rico.

Gamingboy Posted: February 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM | 28 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: international, wbc, world baseball classic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. John Northey Posted: February 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM (#4373816)
Given two teams from each pool go on to the next round I figure most are pretty set...

Pool A: Japan & Cuba while Brazil and China fight it out to avoid being shut out.
Pool B: Australia & Korea move on, Chinese Taipei and the Kingdom of the Netherlands dream of an upset.
Pool C: Dominican Republic & Puerto Rico should move on, with Venezuela having an upset potential, Spain is just happy to be there.
Pool D: United States & Canada likely,with Mexico the upset potential while Italy tries to win one.

Should be a fun tournament though, as after round one things can get crazy.
   2. JJ1986 Posted: February 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM (#4373820)
Australia & Korea move on, Chinese Taipei and the Kingdom of the Netherlands dream of an upset.

I don't think Australia is obviously better than the Netherlands.
   3. JJ1986 Posted: February 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM (#4373824)
The United States added Ross Detwiler. I guess he's just the long man, but it's still depressing that they can't find better starters willing to play.
   4. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: February 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM (#4373854)
I think the good thing is that other than Pool A there is some uncertainty throughout. Japan and Cuba could send their 3rd or 4th best team and get past Brazil and China without much difficulty but the other three pools should feature 3 teams for 2 spots pretty well. I agree with JJ that the Dutch and Australia should battle for that 2nd spot and I think Canada/Mexico is similarly uncertain.

I'm a bit torn. I really would like to see the US win the tournament but at the same time I wonder if it might be good for the event if we completely crapped out and lost in the group stage. That might generate enough interest that a true dream team type scenario would exist in 2017. I don't think a US Dream Team is necessarily a clear favorite over the DR or Japan but I think it would help some perception of the tournament.
   5. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: February 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM (#4373864)
The USA isn't that far from a dream team on the offensive side. And pitchers will always be skittish of appearing.
   6. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: February 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM (#4373871)
Let's see here.

USA lineup:

C Mauer
1B Teixeira
2B Phillips
3B Wright
SS Rollins
LF Braun
CF Jones
RF Stanton

Bench:

C Arencibia
C LuCroy
IF Zobrist
IF Bloomquist
OF Victorino

It seems to be made up of players who already view themselves as having achieved a lot in their pro careers.

All 29 or older, except Jones and Stanton and the backup catchers.

7. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM (#4373873)
I'm a bit torn. I really would like to see the US win the tournament but at the same time I wonder if it might be good for the event if we completely crapped out and lost in the group stage.
The US is obviously the giant. Whne the US doesn't show up and take care of business, it makes the WBC look like something the best team in the world doesn't care about, and that destroys the possible appeal of the tournament. The narrative of the WBC should be like the narrative of the world basketball championships - can any of the little guys knock off the giant? The US needs to win a couple, on the back of our obviously massively superior talent base, to make the whole thing more interesting.

I am rooting for the DR, which is clearly the second-best team on a pure talent basis, to finally put together the run they should. US-DR is the final the world needs.
   8. JJ1986 Posted: February 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM (#4373877)
The USA isn't that far from a dream team on the offensive side. And pitchers will always be skittish of appearing.

I think they're the best offensive team in the tournament, but they're missing MVP-candidate level players at 1B, 2B, SS, CF and DH. Adding Trout, Tulo, Cutch, Posey and Pedroia would make it into a dream team.
   9. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM (#4373888)
JJ - Just nitpicking, since I don't generally disagree, but I don't think switching Mauer out for Posey makes any meaningful difference. I'd want to replace Adam Jones in CF, but I don't think there's anything about Braun / Stanton in the corners that isn't a dream team lineup.

The US currently lacks a top-quality 1B. Prince Fielder would be an upgrade on Teixeira, but he's so poor defensively and on the bases that he isn't that big a deal.
   10. JJ1986 Posted: February 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM (#4373892)
but I don't think there's anything about Braun / Stanton in the corners that isn't a dream team lineup.

I'd put Trout in LF and have Braun DH. As of now, I don't know who's the DH. Zobrist?
   11. Gamingboy Posted: February 22, 2013 at 01:13 PM (#4374029)
The full rosters are on a PDF available to the side of this page.

Pat Venditte is on Team Italy, meaning that, YES, we could very well see MAJOR LEAGUERS FACE AN AMBIDEXTROUS PITCHER.

And that is AWESOME!
   12. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: February 22, 2013 at 01:22 PM (#4374039)
Has there been any discussion of this thing having a mobile presence either as part of MLB At Bat or it's own standalone?

MCOA - #7 makes a lot of sense. I'm with you on the DR.
   13. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: February 22, 2013 at 01:31 PM (#4374044)
Maybe Victorino is in RF and Stanton is the DH.

The bench looks short for a team with a DH. I guess top priority is given to making sure no pitcher gets overworked. The offense is 9 men plus Zobrist as supersub, while the pitching staff has such luminaries as Steve Cishek and Vinnie Pestano.
   14. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: February 22, 2013 at 01:44 PM (#4374048)
I'll echo Jose's question in #12 with the hopes that someone sees it. Anyone know if MLB.tv will air live games? A quick google search seems to indicate it's exclusive to MLB-Network, but I'd hope at least some of the group stage games will be more accessible.
   15. Flynn Posted: February 22, 2013 at 02:10 PM (#4374069)
I think the USA winning would be the best thing for the tournament. It would finally get the American public onside, which will lead to more pressure on the top players to play.
   16. Gamingboy Posted: February 22, 2013 at 02:26 PM (#4374087)
I know that ESPN Deportes will also have the games. And, to be honest, depending on who MLB Network has on some of the games, the Spanish announcers probably will be better, even if you, like I, have little Spanish.

17. bunyon Posted: February 22, 2013 at 02:40 PM (#4374103)
I often watch the Spanish broadcast of games. I can tune out stupid stuff said in a language I don't understand easier than I can when it is said in a language I know. In Spanish, steroid rants, Jeter ass kissing and discussion of chemistry and professional hitters just sounds like music, often really good music, and doesn't make me want to napalm someone.
   18. Gamingboy Posted: February 22, 2013 at 02:45 PM (#4374109)
I think I'm going to try and watch at least part of some of the games between the Latin American teams in Spanish, simply because I think the energy in their voices will probably match the energy of the crowd better.
   19. cmd600 Posted: February 22, 2013 at 03:14 PM (#4374137)
7 - While I generally agree, I think someone likes Brazil won't care too much that they played against the B team if they can knock off a US or DR. I think getting the newer markets as competitive as possible while help them become more interested than making them watch Verlander not let one of their hitters get the ball out of the infield.
   20. SG Posted: February 22, 2013 at 04:16 PM (#4374189)
Pat Venditte is on Team Italy, meaning that, YES, we could very well see MAJOR LEAGUERS FACE AN AMBIDEXTROUS PITCHER.

Venditte is recovering from labrum surgery on his right arm and would strictly be used as a LHP.
   21. Gamingboy Posted: February 22, 2013 at 09:30 PM (#4374411)

Venditte is recovering from labrum surgery on his right arm and would strictly be used as a LHP.

I'm reasonably sure that this is the first time somebody has only been doing half-rehab.
   22. puck Posted: February 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM (#4374419)
Is there someone significant from the DR missing from the OF? Nelson Cruz, Alejandro De Aza and minor leaguers: I figured there'd be more MLB regulars out there.
   23. RollingWave Posted: February 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM (#4374421)
Pool B: Australia & Korea move on, Chinese Taipei and the Kingdom of the Netherlands dream of an upset.

Give that the games are hosted in Taiwan, I'd hazard a guess that we'll advance. most likely at Aussie's expense.

It does hinge a little on how much Wang and Kuo have left in the tank of course.

24. madvillain Posted: February 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM (#4374438)
The US is obviously the giant. Whne the US doesn't show up and take care of business, it makes the WBC look like something the best team in the world doesn't care about, and that destroys the possible appeal of the tournament. The narrative of the WBC should be like the narrative of the world basketball championships - can any of the little guys knock off the giant? The US needs to win a couple, on the back of our obviously massively superior talent base, to make the whole thing more interesting.

I am rooting for the DR, which is clearly the second-best team on a pure talent basis, to finally put together the run they should. US-DR is the final the world needs.

This is what I thought before watching the two classics, but now I think the narrative has changed almost to where the US is the underdog. It's Japan that is under the most pressure to win imo. US fans don't take it that seriously (hardcore baseball fans sure but the casual fan no way) so if we lose early it's just going to be "meh, nobody wanted to be there anyways now back to important baseball".

One thing interesting was living in NYC for the last WBC and seeing all the various "______-americans" cheering for their squads. The Dominican guys at the Bodegas had their gear on, the Mexican kids in Sunset Park had the games on in the taqeuerrias, etc. Don't know about Little Italy though. Maybe they had on their Piazza gear.
   25. Gamingboy Posted: February 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM (#4374442)
Is there someone significant from the DR missing from the OF? Nelson Cruz, Alejandro De Aza and minor leaguers: I figured there'd be more MLB regulars out there.

Carlos Gomez decided to focus on his contract year. Melky Cabrera dropped out shortly after the latest stuff from Biogenesis. The Blue Jays blocked Joey Bats since he ended last season on the DL. Soriano is old and probably didn't want to do it. Vlad is retired.

I have no idea what Starling Marte's excuse is.

Give that the games are hosted in Taiwan, I'd hazard a guess that we'll advance. most likely at Aussie's expense.

It does hinge a little on how much Wang and Kuo have left in the tank of course.

I'd put the Dutch ahead of the Aussies. I'd say Korea has best chance, then a fight between Taiwan and the Dutch, with Australia as a dark horse that could cause trouble.
   26. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: February 22, 2013 at 11:44 PM (#4374450)
No starlin, but they have Tejada I guess this is a blessing though.
   27. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 23, 2013 at 01:28 AM (#4374470)
I think they're the best offensive team in the tournament, but they're missing MVP-candidate level players at 1B, 2B, SS, CF and DH. Adding Trout, Tulo, Cutch, Posey and Pedroia would make it into a dream team.

They have an MVP-candidate 2B in Zobrist but Phillips is apparently the starter.
   28. Jarrod HypnerotomachiaPoliphili(Teddy F. Ballgame) Posted: February 23, 2013 at 01:46 AM (#4374475)
When did Ichiro opt out?

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
danielj
for his generous support.