Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Finally healthy, 2013 first-overall pick Mark Appel is ready to live up to expectations | For The Win

He probably should have waited until he has some pro success before making this reveal.

“Given where I was, and the investment that the Astros put in me — the belief that they had in me — I wanted to compete,” Appel said. “I love playing baseball; I love pitching. But I also just wanted to give my best effort and be somebody — the Astros made a huge investment, and I don’t take that lightly. I wanted to be able to perform and be the guy that I know I can be for a team that drafted me in the first round. So with that being said, it’s like, ‘I can’t do any of that on the DL. It doesn’t hurt to throw. I’m not getting any extension, but it doesn’t hurt to throw, and I can compete, I can find a way.’

“I think it was a little bit of pride in me, not going to get it checked out or anything like that. But also it wasn’t to the point that I was feeling pain every time I threw a baseball. I just couldn’t get extension, and I didn’t realize the effect it had on me.”

Jim Furtado Posted: February 28, 2017 at 06:47 AM | 5 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: mark appel, phillies

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Zach Posted: February 28, 2017 at 07:31 PM (#5410455)
“I pitched my college season, and I didn’t remember feeling a single thing,” Appel told USA TODAY Sports at Phillies camp last week. “I started playing pro ball, and I remember, a couple times, asking one of my teammates in the low level minors with the Astros, like, ‘Hey, do you kind of feel this way?’ and he was like, ‘Yeah, seomtimes. You’re fine.'”

Appel ranked near the top of most draft boards after his junior season at Stanford in 2012, but the Astros instead chose Carlos Correa with the first-overall pick due to concerns they would not be able to meet Appel’s bonus demands. The righty fell to Pittsburgh with the No. 8 selection, but returned to Stanford after his camp could not negotiate a deal with the Pirates.

I guess it worked out OK for Appel, but I don't see why a pitcher with major arm pain would want to be a holdout after getting picked eighth.
   2. base ball chick Posted: March 01, 2017 at 12:18 AM (#5410585)
he didn't have the trouble his junior year

now what is unbelieveable to me is that not ONE person on the astros looked at videos of him trying to pitch at lancaster and compared them to videos of him pitching at college

no one notices that he is incapable of straightening out his elbow?

you can't listen to some male tell you - oh i am fine everything is great when it is obvious that it is NOT
   3. Tuque Posted: March 01, 2017 at 01:04 AM (#5410591)
Being forced into picking Carlos Correa instead might end up being the best thing that ever happened to that franchise.

I just discovered that Carlos Correa was worth 6 WAR last year. At the age of 21. I would feel like that's kind of crazy, but then in this new age of Mike Trouts and Corey Seagers and Manny Machados I kind of don't know what that means anymore.
   4. Khrushin it bro Posted: March 01, 2017 at 01:15 AM (#5410592)
I'm finally eating healthy again and my first pick of Apple is really living up to my expectations.
   5. Walt Davis Posted: March 01, 2017 at 05:27 PM (#5411063)
Huh? Correa got a good bit more Rbat out of that 123 OPS+ than I expeced -- really good BB rate/OBP. Given an average Rfield, I would have pegged him around 4 WAR. Anyway, the kid's a potential beast.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.