Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 28, 2014

Fox, FS1 bring out-of-market streaming, new timeslots to MLB in 2014

A table of scheduled games and chart of teams by appearance is included in the article.

While Fox will still provide 12 regional split broadcasts in 2014, Fox Sports 1 will air a majority of the baseball. FS1 will air at least a game (and, in 10 weeks, a doubleheader) every Saturday of the season, plus a couple of midweek features. Fox will join for eight weeks of primetime coverage from May until July and then jump back in for the September pennant chase.

FS1 will also necessitate the return of Fox’s baseball studio coverage to Los Angeles, after a three-year stint in Secaucus, NJ with the MLB Network gang. It appears that Fox Sports Live anchor Ryan Field will host the new pregame show (which will air 30 minutes prior to FS1 going on the air), though Fox would not comment on the matter. One would think Fox Sports Live breakout star Gabe Kapler and recent hire Frank Thomas might play a role.

Greg Franklin Posted: February 28, 2014 at 04:37 PM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: fox, fs1, media, mlb network, online, television

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jesse Barfield's Right Arm Posted: February 28, 2014 at 06:04 PM (#4664299)
This is pretty interesting. I mean, I'm probably the only person who still gets all TV from an antenna (no Internet or Cable), but this drastically cuts down on games for people like me (actually, probably people waaaay older than me). Really, I mean no network weekend baseball for the majority of the season?

For the streaming folks, however, that's real good news as the blackouts go way down.
   2. RMc is a fine piece of cheese Posted: February 28, 2014 at 07:21 PM (#4664322)
One would think Fox Sports Live breakout star Gabe Kapler and recent hire Frank Thomas might play a role.

Ironically, the White Sox are one five teams (Jays, Stros, M's, Rox) who aren't getting any of their games on Fox/FS1.
   3. TerpNats Posted: March 01, 2014 at 01:25 AM (#4664407)
Here's the complete list of Fox/FS1 appearances:

MLB on Fox/FS1 appearances per team

Appearances, team

* = local rights owned by a Fox-affiliated regional sports network

11 NY Yankees*
10 St. Louis*
8 Cincinnati*, Detroit*, Texas*
7 Cleveland*, Pittsburgh, Washington
6 Boston, Kansas City*, LA Angels*, Atlanta*, LA Dodgers
5 Baltimore, San Francisco
4 Tampa Bay*, Minnesota*, San Diego*
3 Arizona*, Chi. Cubs
2 Milwaukee*, Philadelphia
1 Oakland, Miami*, NY Mets
0 Toronto, Houston, Seattle, Colorado, Chi. White Sox

Think Fox is trying to persuade the Lerners to dump MASN for a Fox-run RSN? (Weird that the Nats are on the Fox channels more often than the World Series champion Bosox or either Los Angeles team, though I'm certain with ESPN added, total appearances will be in the latter teams' favor.)
   4. McCoy Posted: March 01, 2014 at 09:59 AM (#4664417)
They can try to persuade them all they want, it isn't happening. If the Lerners could get out of their MASN contract they would have. They aren't in that deal by choice.
   5. cardsfanboy Posted: March 01, 2014 at 11:56 AM (#4664448)
Think Fox is trying to persuade the Lerners to dump MASN for a Fox-run RSN? (Weird that the Nats are on the Fox channels more often than the World Series champion Bosox or either Los Angeles team, though I'm certain with ESPN added, total appearances will be in the latter teams' favor.)

Since they don't own the Boston local rights they had to choose games being played in a place that they owned the local rights too. (still doesn't explain how Nats got more games)

Not weird about LA...west coast is always going to be underrepresented in a national broadcast sense. Funny to see a locally owned Fox affiliate(Miami) only get one game though.
   6. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: March 01, 2014 at 07:00 PM (#4664658)
Weird that the Nats are on the Fox channels more often than the World Series champion Bosox or either Los Angeles team

Not weird at all. Fox is just a forward-thinking organization. :-)

Why would Fox need one of the teams to be carried by a local affiliate? Doesn't their contract with MLB give them exclusive carry rights for Saturday day games, so this is separate from any other agreements?
   7. cardsfanboy Posted: March 01, 2014 at 07:09 PM (#4664660)
Why would Fox need one of the teams to be carried by a local affiliate? Doesn't their contract with MLB give them exclusive carry rights for Saturday day games, so this is separate from any other agreements?

Extra money to the broadcasting team, plus you would prefer to take games that will help your local organization out more and just easier logistically.
   8. BDC Posted: March 01, 2014 at 07:51 PM (#4664676)
I'm probably the only person who still gets all TV from an antenna

I do too. For several years, except for whatever series FOX gets in the postseason, the only TV baseball I have access too is the Rangers' Friday night game – and I always have better options on a Friday night :)
   9. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: March 01, 2014 at 08:29 PM (#4664686)
Weird that the Nats are on the Fox channels more often than the World Series champion Bosox or either Los Angeles team

Frankly I think it's odd that the Pirates, Indians and Reds are ahead of those teams than the Nats. The Nats have a sex appeal with Strasburg and Harper that makes them an appealing TV team. The three Central teams lack that sort of star power (Votto is awesome but doesn't fit the bill...we're talking crossover appeal, not actual baseball ability).
   10. cardsfanboy Posted: March 01, 2014 at 08:54 PM (#4664697)
Frankly I think it's odd that the Pirates, Indians and Reds are ahead of those teams than the Nats. The Nats have a sex appeal with Strasburg and Harper that makes them an appealing TV team. The three Central teams lack that sort of star power (Votto is awesome but doesn't fit the bill...we're talking crossover appeal, not actual baseball ability).

I understand the concern about the Indians and Reds being on that list, but the Pirates have the best looking ballpark in all of baseball(although it looks like only two of those are homegames) , have one of the most heralded players and defending mvp in the game(and a black guy to boot) as the star of the team, have had a recent history of being pitiful and look to be on the beginning of several years as a contender in the NL Central. It's a little forward thinking on their part, but it makes a lot of sense (considering they play the Dodgers, Cardinals, Reds x2, Washington and Yankees....good matchups...oh, and the Cubs....but looks like a lot of big market games planned.)

And who knows...maybe they think Billy Hamilton will be big news this year.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Chicago Joe
for his generous support.