Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Freep: Tigers’ Justin Verlander neither confirms nor denies he’s dating Kate Upton

People shriek on the streets of Michigan when they see Verlander in person. He can’t stop at a gas pump or go grocery shopping. Everyone knows where he lives in the off-season (Troy), what he eats the night before he pitches (Taco Bell, for three crunchy Taco Supremes, a Cheesy Gordita Crunch and a Mexican Pizza, hold the tomatoes) and where he grabs his morning coffee.

Justin Verlander: wins Cy Youngs, dates supermodels, eats crap.

eddieot Posted: October 24, 2012 at 01:34 PM | 868 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: giants, tigers, verlander, world series

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 9 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   101. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:11 PM (#4283038)
Dunst is the Cesar Cedeno / Vada Pinson of Hollywood. Peaked very early. She can be downright homely without makeup now.

Lindsay Lohan. She was actually pretty cute as a teenager, but she looks absolutely horrid in all the recent photo's I've seen. Completely washed up looks wise, at what, 25ish?
   102. jobu Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:20 PM (#4283050)
Gwyneth: neither hot nor stunning.. Most of us see many women on a daily basis more attractive than this, without their having to trowel on makeup.
   103. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:24 PM (#4283057)
So, who do you find "hot" jobu?
   104. McCoy Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:28 PM (#4283060)
Most of us see many women on a daily basis more attractive than this, without their having to trowel on makeup.

Well, that depends. Most of us don't get to see many women on a daily basis in the exact same pose with the exact same lighting captured by a photo like we do with that photo.
   105. SoSH U at work Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:29 PM (#4283065)
Gwyneth: neither hot nor stunning.. Most of us see many women on a daily basis more attractive than this, without their having to trowel on makeup.

She's probably the first 40-year-old woman who hasn't aged gracefully.

I still don't think you're going to convince me that I was wrong to think Gwyneth Paltrow was quite beautiful when she was in her 20s, but I suppose you can keep trying.
   106. billyshears Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:34 PM (#4283075)
Lindsay Lohan. She was actually pretty cute as a teenager, but she looks absolutely horrid in all the recent photo's I've seen. Completely washed up looks wise, at what, 25ish?

Hard living doesn't help.
   107. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:36 PM (#4283078)
   108. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:38 PM (#4283083)
I never found Gwyneth Paltrow "hot" when I was younger but as I've gotten older I've found her more and more beautiful. I think she has actually aged quite well, and it is helped by the fact that when I've seen her interviewed she seems like a reasonably intelligent and cool woman.
   109. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:39 PM (#4283084)
Jobu - I think you're nitpicking a bit on my use of the word "hot." Others have described the young Paltrow as "very attractive", "quite beautiful", and "stunningly gorgeous." Those all pretty much mean the same thing, IMO. So I stand by my earlier "supposedly hot" statement. :-)

I also think that when someone is cast as a leading lady/romantic lead in movies intended to appeal to young males or grace the cover of men's magazines (pretty sure Paltrow has been in Maxim too), that's pretty good evidence that they must be considered attractive to many, no?
   110. jobu Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:42 PM (#4283085)
So, who do you find "hot" jobu?
Well, Kate Upton for starters. Plus pretty much the entire Derek Jeter Gift Basket Collection. Jeter's average while in scoring position is very high.

This list from booey (I believe) was pretty good, minus Zooey Deschanel:
I'd take Olivia Wilde, Zooey Deschanel, Natalie Portman, or Katy Perry over Kate Upton any day. And Mila Kunis if she had a more shapely body. Her face is nice.

For women in their 40s, Diane Lane is way up there. Elisabeth Shue circa "Adventures in Babysitting" remains my all-time favorite. She's a little bit older than I am, so I've been happy to have her as a "draft and follow" for the last 25 years.
   111. Kurt Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:46 PM (#4283088)
I'm sorry, is the link in 102 supposed to represent someone who hasn't aged gracefully into her 40's? Do any of you have any idea what most women in their forties look like (not to mention men)? And I'm not even a big fan of hers - she's attractive, in the same way a sunset or a painting of a rural landscape is attractive.
   112. jobu Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:46 PM (#4283089)
Others have described the young Paltrow as "very attractive", "quite beautiful", and "stunningly gorgeous." Those all pretty much mean the same thing, IMO

Booey, I don't know if you are married or not, but if you are, you can ask your wife how she would feel if you called her "very attractive" or "quite beautiful." Maybe if you said it in a British accent, it would past muster. But I'll bet "hot" or "sexy" might have a better effect on her. I'll grant you "stunningly gorgeous." That probably keeps you from having to sleep in the guest bedroom.
   113. BDC Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:47 PM (#4283091)
For about 10 years, Paltrow was a pretty consistent go-to star of high-middlebrow prestige pictures; lately she seems to be a sidebar in superhero movies, and there was the baffling decision to make Country Strong her mid-career vehicle. I think it's really, really hard for that class of actress (Nicole Kidman is another, and Charlize Theron, and coming up on the younger side, Scarlett Johansson) to keep getting great roles past age 40. Hollywood just drops them. I'd have my money on Kate Winslet avoiding the trap, but actually how many actresses have ever really done so? Hepburn, Streep … I don't think it has much to do with appearance, or how well they age. I think movies just aren't interested, even today, in the drama of women between 40 and whatever age Geraldine Page was in Trip to Bountiful. That's why Titanic worked; the character was either 20 or 90, and nobody had to worry about the mid-life woman.

114. jobu Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:54 PM (#4283100)
I'm sorry, is the link in 102 supposed to represent someone who hasn't aged gracefully into her 40's?

I think it looks like someone out to steal my magic ring.
   115. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:54 PM (#4283101)
Elisabeth Shue circa "Adventures in Babysitting" remains my all-time favorite.

I prefer her circa Leaving Las Vegas. The 80's are just so awful.

In a similar vein, Jennifer Connelly is fantastic.
   116. Kurt Posted: October 25, 2012 at 01:56 PM (#4283104)
Booey, I don't know if you are married or not, but if you are, you can ask your wife how she would feel if you called her "very attractive" or "quite beautiful." Maybe if you said it in a British accent, it would past muster. But I'll bet "hot" or "sexy" might have a better effect on her. I'll grant you "stunningly gorgeous." That probably keeps you from having to sleep in the guest bedroom.

If he actually is married to Norma Desmond, i pity him. Most people are not married to Norma Desmond.

This is just stupid.
   117. Rennie's Tenet Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:02 PM (#4283108)
Brad Pitt perfume commercial on during the game reminded me how sexy that guy is. I don't swing that way and even I could see why most women go crazy over him.

You mean your first reaction wasn't incredulous laughter? That is the most pretentious commercial in the history of television.

I had my sister on the phone and sound down on the TV when this came on. I said, "Oh, and here's Brad Pitt with his frowny face. What tragic social issue is depressing him now?" She burst out laughing.
   118. dr. scott Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:31 PM (#4283125)
I swear I saw Alice waters skulking near a Taco Bell last night in a ninja auit... cearly all in the SF bay area were sabotoged with fresh organic meat, low fat beans, locally grown vegetable, and high end milk and cheese products... and it worked. Keep up the good work.

I hear Fister needs a jamba juice, and a white caslte to be himself before the big game. Whos up to join the resistence? We attack at noon.
   119. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:31 PM (#4283127)

Lohan at 18 had the big hips that people here are bashing Kate Upton over. She's thinner now and meanders from looking cute to old.
   120. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:34 PM (#4283131)
She's probably the first 40-year-old woman who hasn't aged gracefully.

I still don't think you're going to convince me that I was wrong to think Gwyneth Paltrow was quite beautiful when she was in her 20s, but I suppose you can keep trying.

Paltrow has always been very overrated, but she looks the same now as she did at 25.

I'm 39 and in the dating world, and it is absolutely stunning how many women hit the wall by age 35.

That's why I prefer late 20s or early 30s.
   121. andrewberg Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:36 PM (#4283135)
Kirsten Dunst- normally agree, but found her to be very attractive in Melancholia

Gwyneth Paltrow- A friend told me that he found her incredibly hot in Ironman and it took me 30 minutes before I accepted that he was not joking.

Olivia Wilde- incredibly gorgeous, but fits in the Mila Kunis category of having a 12-year old boy's body, to me.

Others who have somehow been neglected- Kate Beckinsale, Brooklyn Decker, Megan Fox, Eve Mendes, Christina Hedricks, Jessica Biel, Angelina Jolie (career achievement award, now looks sickly. not a commentary on her work or value, she just looks sickly).
   122. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:36 PM (#4283136)
Jennifer Aniston is hotter now at 43 than she's ever been, but that's an extreme outlier.
   123. McCoy Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:36 PM (#4283137)
Older women who are stunning in person:

Elizabeth Banks
The mom from Modern Family
A few of the older supermodels

Really almost any female celebrity that had good looks when they were young will keep them just as long as they don't go crazy with plastic surgery or with a hard partying lifestyle. Virtually all of the middle age female celebrities I have met were very pretty in person. Now if you compare them to some 20 year old beautiful female celebrity and you're huge into the youth fad you might knock them some points but in reality they older female celebrities are quite beautiful.
   124. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:38 PM (#4283140)
Jessica Biel might have the best female body ever. Eva Mendes is smoldering. Decker's got a great rack, but other than that, meh. Beckinsale is classically beautiful, but I've never been attracted to her that much.
   125. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:38 PM (#4283142)
For about 10 years, Paltrow was a pretty consistent go-to star of high-middlebrow prestige pictures; lately she seems to be a sidebar in superhero movies, and there was the baffling decision to make Country Strong her mid-career vehicle. I think it's really, really hard for that class of actress (Nicole Kidman is another, and Charlize Theron, and coming up on the younger side, Scarlett Johansson) to keep getting great roles past age 40. Hollywood just drops them. I'd have my money on Kate Winslet avoiding the trap, but actually how many actresses have ever really done so? Hepburn, Streep … I don't think it has much to do with appearance, or how well they age. I think movies just aren't interested, even today, in the drama of women between 40 and whatever age Geraldine Page was in Trip to Bountiful. That's why Titanic worked; the character was either 20 or 90, and nobody had to worry about the mid-life woman.

This reads like a who's who of overrated women on looks: Paltrow, Kidman (*), Theron, Winslet, Hepburn, Streep...

(*) Kidman was very pretty and then lost it seemingly overnight.
   126. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:40 PM (#4283144)

She was on Ellen the other day when I was flipping channels and I couldn't believe how hot she was. Julie Bowen.
   127. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:41 PM (#4283145)
Dunst and Mendes are overrated, but the rest of these are on target:

Olivia Wilde- incredibly gorgeous, but fits in the Mila Kunis category of having a 12-year old boy's body, to me.

Others who have somehow been neglected- Kate Beckinsale, Brooklyn Decker, Megan Fox, Eve Mendes, Christina Hedricks, Jessica Biel, Angelina Jolie (career achievement award, now looks sickly
   128. andrewberg Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4283146)
This reads like a who's who of overrated women on looks: Paltrow, Kidman (*), Theron, Winslet, Hepburn, Streep...

Or women who are mainly seen as attractive by other women.

One thing I was thinking about reading this thread is that Kate Upton has been marketed (or perhaps this is how she really is, who knows) as the best looking girl in the high school that is American popular culture. She is blonde and has huge boobs (2 things that are probably valued more in high school than anywhere else), she is presented as ditzy but down to have a good time/a little slutty, she seems to be really into having everyone's attention all of the time, and she literally dates the most popular jocks (Demarcus Cousins, Mark Sanchez, Justin Verlander).

Maybe I am too much of a conspiracy theorist, but if that is an intentional form of brand management, it is pretty brilliant.
   129. Kurt Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4283148)
ELIZABETH BANKS IS NOT AN "OLDER WOMAN"! GET OFF MY LAWN!!
   130. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:45 PM (#4283150)
BDC, did you actually say you had a crush on Ida Lupino?

Finding film images of women attractive is an odd business, given the immortality of visual data these days. I admit to having a crush on Ida Lupino in High Sierra, but that was seventy years ago, and Lupino has been dead for twenty of them.
   131. andrewberg Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:46 PM (#4283152)
She was on Ellen the other day when I was flipping channels and I couldn't believe how hot she was. Julie Bowen.

I still see her as the girlfriend from Happy Gilmore.
   132. jobu Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:47 PM (#4283154)
Others who have somehow been neglected- Kate Beckinsale, Brooklyn Decker, Megan Fox, Eve Mendes, Christina Hendricks, Jessica Biel, Angelina Jolie (career achievement award, now looks sickly

Strong list. I think Christina Hendricks looks a lot better dressed in 1960s fashion than modern clothes.

Monica Bellucci, with or without caviar.
   133. andrewberg Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:50 PM (#4283156)
Strong list. I think Christine Hendricks looks a lot better dressed in 1960s fashion than modern clothes.

Yup! My theory on this oddity is that Mad Men uses hair and makeup styles that are era-appropriate but also the most flattering to her. She does not want to be overly typecast as Joan, so she uses very different styles in real life even though are not quite as flattering.
   134. The Good Face Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:50 PM (#4283157)

Elizabeth Banks
A few of the older supermodels

A friend of mine saw Catherine Zeta-Jones running around NYC a year or two ago and said she was incredibly tiny and almost impossibly beautiful.

Beckinsale is classically beautiful, but I've never been attracted to her that much.

Beckinsale has had a TON of work done. She looks nothing like the young, pre-surgery version of herself.

I'm 39 and in the dating world, and it is absolutely stunning how many women hit the wall by age 35.

Oh god, don't date the 35+ set; at least not seriously.
   135. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:50 PM (#4283158)
Monica Bellucci was put on earth to induce spontaneous erections in men.
   136. SG Posted: October 25, 2012 at 02:57 PM (#4283163)
I dunno, I consider McDonald's to be ambrosia compared to Taco Bell.

But have you had the Cantina Bowl? I LOVE it. I can't even believe it's Taco Bell.
   137. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 03:14 PM (#4283183)
In a similar vein, Jennifer Connelly is fantastic.

Yes! One of the most gorgeous women ever in her youth.

Jennifer Aniston is hotter now at 43 than she's ever been, but that's an extreme outlier.

She's aged very well, but she's not quite where she was in the early Friends days of the mid-late 90's. I got into that show as a teenager originally solely to watch her (she walks around without a bra A LOT on that show, and I wasn't complaining). Christina Applegate was pretty high on my teenage "must hit" list back then too.

ELIZABETH BANKS IS NOT AN "OLDER WOMAN"! GET OFF MY LAWN!!

She's older than me, so yes, she is. :-)

138. jobu Posted: October 25, 2012 at 03:14 PM (#4283184)

Elizabeth Banks

Seems fun, funny and smart to boot. Penn grad. Jewish by conversion!
   139. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 03:15 PM (#4283185)
J-Lo still looks great for a woman in her 40's, no?
   140. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 25, 2012 at 03:28 PM (#4283202)
J-Lo gets better every year. That marriage to Mark wasisname was the most lopsided in history, looks wise.
   141. billyshears Posted: October 25, 2012 at 03:31 PM (#4283209)

I've liked her since Ed, one of the great, underrated TV shows of our time.
   142. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 03:31 PM (#4283210)

Elizabeth Banks

She is interchangeable with Amy Smart for me. They both look like they would be a ton of fun in the sack.
   143. McCoy Posted: October 25, 2012 at 03:36 PM (#4283216)
She's aged very well, but she's not quite where she was in the early Friends days of the mid-late 90's.

She's also had some plastic surgery done and seems to be on the absolute no body fat kick like Cox. The only difference is that Aniston still poses for barely wearing anything photospreads so she gets the photoshop treatment more often.
   144. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 03:39 PM (#4283220)
J-Lo gets better every year. That marriage to Mark wasisname was the most lopsided in history, looks wise.

Beyonce and Jay-Z has to be up there too...
   145. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: October 25, 2012 at 03:46 PM (#4283226)
People think Kirsten Dunst is hot? She would be a relatively good looking girl at your high school.

I agree that Paltrow is overrated by women. She is good looking, no golem, but not off the charts.
   146. andrewberg Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:05 PM (#4283254)
People think Kirsten Dunst is hot? She would be a relatively good looking girl at your high school.

I think I'm the only one who defended her, and that was strictly in Melancholia. Other than that, no thanks.

Regarding mismatches, I'm no Julia Roberts fan, but the gap between her and Lyle Lovett is an all-timer.
   147. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:11 PM (#4283267)

And we wonder why there aren't more women primates.

I assumme you spend your days shrieking in horror at the various hags you are forced to interact with in your everyday life?
   148. The Good Face Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:14 PM (#4283271)
Regarding mismatches, I'm no Julia Roberts fan, but the gap between her and Lyle Lovett is an all-timer.

Ric Ocasek and Paulina Porizkova is another HOF mismatch. Apparently they're still together after 23 years.
   149. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:22 PM (#4283278)
Bill Simmons wrote about Kirsten Dunst that part of her appeal is that she's very attractive but still looks nice/approachable.

I think Winslet, Hepburn, and Streep are actually regarded as good actresses. (EDIT: by which I mean that people never held them out there as the hottest women in the world or anything.) Theron is drop-dead gorgeous in some movies and more ordinary in others (not counting Monster, obviously).

Ashley Judd is another woman who sort of fits this mold...

I haven't paid much attention to her lately but Jessica Alba was smoking hot at her peak.
   150. jobu Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:23 PM (#4283279)

I assumme you spend your days shrieking in horror at the various hags you are forced to interact with in your everyday life?

No, I work in an industry where people are hired 95%+ for their brains, not their looks (though there are few fields where average+ looks don't help). Unlike acting. Talking about an actress/supposed fashion icon's appearance seems entirely in bounds to me, especially given the subject of the thread. Kate Upton didn't spawn a thread for anything other than her looks.
   151. Every Inge Counts Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:23 PM (#4283281)
When I was an 8th grader and freshman in high school we loved Jennifer Love Hewitt and Heather Graham.

Today the list starts with:
Alison Brie

I am sure I can make a way too long list of hot celebrities, but some others: Kat Dennings, Lizzy Caplan, Deborah Ann Woll, Zoe Saldana, oh also Jennifer Lawrence before she decided to become a stick figure

In terms of an actress that people say is hot and I don't really see it:
Anna Paquin...I am not sure what doesn't do it for me...
   152. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:24 PM (#4283284)

I actually think it would be very entertaining if BBC or another woman (if there are any on BBTF) showed up and rated the celebrity guys the way we've been doing with the gals.
   153. The Good Face Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:29 PM (#4283291)
I actually think it would be very entertaining if BBC or another woman (if there are any on BBTF) showed up and rated the celebrity guys the way we've been doing with the gals.

BBC has never been shy when it comes to MLB players she thinks are hot. Nor should she be.
   154. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:32 PM (#4283296)
Ashley Judd is another woman who sort of fits this mold...

Not with one eyebrow permanently raised.
   155. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:33 PM (#4283297)
When I was an 8th grader and freshman in high school we loved Jennifer Love Hewitt and Heather Graham.

When Hewitt was around 14 or 15 she was on a short lived TV show called "Shaky Ground" (or something like that). I was around the same age as her and thought she was one of the cutest girls I'd ever seen. But either she hasn't aged well or my standards have changed a lot since then, cuz I don't find her even remotely attractive anymore. Graham is basically in the same boat too.

Today the list starts with:
Alison Brie

Annie Edison, yes indeed. During the first season finale of Community when Britta and Slater were both vying for Jeff's affection and he was trying to decide which one to go for, I kept telling my GF that he was an idiot and that Annie was much cuter than either of them. Needless to say, I approved of his choice at the end...
   156. andrewberg Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:37 PM (#4283303)

Why can't we do that? I can appreciate a good looking guy even if I don't want to bone/be boned by him.

The list definitely starts with Jon Hamm. I suppose the usual suspects like Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Denzel, and George Clooney belong. I can also see what the ladies like about the guy who played Thor and Channing Tatum.

My fiance looooooooooves Bruce Willis, and almost anyone else with short or no hair and stubble (Jason Statham, WWE's Randy Orton). I am not bald, but not having to shave very often is nice.
   157. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:39 PM (#4283305)
You guys are all racists. No minority women listed?

Let us not forget:

Whitney Houston in her prime
Tia Carrera in her prime
Halle Berry now or anytime
Etc
   158. andrewberg Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:43 PM (#4283309)
Oooh, how did we forget Halle Berry for 156 posts? Also, I know a lot of people are into Rihanna, but I think she seems more interesting than hot. That's the exact opposite of how I feel about almost everyone else listed.
   159. jobu Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:43 PM (#4283310)

I'm sure that it's precisely because some guys pick a thread literally with a supermodel's name in the title to talk about attractive/unattractive women. The ratios of women to men are of course MUCH higher in SABR, Lee Sinins's readership, baseball card collecting or your typical fantasy bsaeball league. It's the inherent sexism of BBTF that's driving women away.

160. JJ1986 Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:43 PM (#4283311)
the guy who played Thor

I don't get his appeal. Robert Downey is definitely the hottest Avenger.
   161. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:47 PM (#4283319)
She's aged very well, but she's not quite where she was in the early Friends days of the mid-late 90's. I got into that show as a teenager originally solely to watch her

Aniston is the 3rd hottest female in friends. And that's being generous.
   162. JJ1986 Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:48 PM (#4283321)

I'd agree, but she does wear the sexiest outfits consistently.
   163. Every Inge Counts Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:48 PM (#4283323)
Hey I had Zoe Saldana listed.

Frieda Pinto is very very hot. So is Aishwarya Rai. Padma Lakshmi.
   164. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:49 PM (#4283324)
BTW runaway leader for most overrated is Sarah Jessica Parker.
   165. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:49 PM (#4283326)

IMO Parks & Rec currently has the most attractive grouping of females: Rashida Jones, Aubry Plaza, Alison Becker; Amy Poehler is looking gorgeous this season, though she's not my cup of tea.

Much of this thread reminds me of this.
   166. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:50 PM (#4283327)
Why can't we do that? I can appreciate a good looking guy even if I don't want to bone/be boned by him.

The GF and I used to have this conversation too. The guys she liked that were easiest for me to understand were Will Smith (more cuz of his style and attitude than his appearance), Ryan Reynolds, and Chris Evans. I will never, EVER grasp what she thought was so unbelievably hot about Adam Sandler (seriously).

As far as athletes go, I used to watch a lot of NBA games with my ex wife and she thought Chris Webber was very attractive. I can see that.
   167. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:53 PM (#4283331)

People did mention Beyonce, Zoe Saldana, and J-Lo. I am a bit surprised that no one said Halle Berry.
   168. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:53 PM (#4283332)
I'd agree, but she does wear the sexiest outfits consistently.

That's kinda like putting a 300 lbs woman in spandex catwoman suit. It kinda defeats the whole point.
   169. jobu Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:55 PM (#4283337)
Gabrielle Union
   170. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:57 PM (#4283339)

Oh no. No, no, no, no, no. Cox was only attractive at the very beginning of the show and went downhill with each subsequent season (though part of that was her characters personality - Monica was by far my least favorite of the 6). Lisa Kudrow was never very cute, IMO.
   171. Rennie's Tenet Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:04 PM (#4283348)
Paulina Porizkova

Porizkova still looks stunning, and looks her age.
   172. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:10 PM (#4283355)

Absurd. Cox ahead of her I can see - and might even agree - but you have Kudrow ahead of her? And in a walk?

Wild.
   173. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:11 PM (#4283357)
oh also Jennifer Lawrence before she decided to become a stick figure

Isn't she like 17? Put on some pants and button up that trenchcoat, buddy. :-)

(too lazy to look it up, but I know she's probably actually older than 17)
   174. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:21 PM (#4283364)
Talking about an actress/supposed fashion icon's appearance seems entirely in bounds to me, especially given the subject of the thread.

Talking about who is attractive is different from claiming that because a woman doesn't look absolutely perfect in a candid shot she looks like a troll.
   175. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:22 PM (#4283366)
Robert Downey is definitely the hottest Avenger.

I'd pick Scarlett Johansson, personally. But whatever floats your boat. :-)
   176. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:29 PM (#4283371)

Salma Hayek's the hottest woman I've ever met in person. Made small talk with her in the willcall line to pick up tickets to Lawrence of Arabia at the Egyptian Theatre in L.A. back in the mid-90's, before she was all that well known. Shorter than she looks in film but even more beautiful in person; I think we talked about her seeing LoA for the 1st time that night, but frankly, I can't remember anything from the conversation other than it happened and I was entranced.

Speaking of entranced, Grace Kelly.

177. McCoy Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:32 PM (#4283376)

Are we counting other women on the show besides Lisa, Courtney, and Jennifer because otherwise I don't see how she ends up being #3.
   178. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:35 PM (#4283378)
Are we counting other women on the show besides Lisa, Courtney, and Jennifer

Oh, I didn't realize he was counting other women besides those three. Fine, that explains it.

I thought it was bizarre that he had Kudrow ahead of her, but I guess he wasn't being clear.
   179. McCoy Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:44 PM (#4283383)
I've met Kudrow in person and she basically looks like your typical NY housewife. Well dressed, not super skinny or fat, looks decent from a distance, but up close you notice that she is wearing tons of makeup to hide her age. Lisa Kudrow was always the normal looking one on that show and she really is normal looking not one of those let's put her in glasses and have her hair in a pigtail kind of look normal.
   180. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:49 PM (#4283386)
Chris Webber played a significant role in the last sporting event that made me cry. I have always thought he's a good looking guy except when he shaves his head. Don't get the idea that Jon Hamm is super attractive. All time best looking male athlete would have to be Ali circa 1974.
   181. McCoy Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:54 PM (#4283389)
Yeah, the Jon Hamm crushfest mystifies me. He looks good in 1960's suit and haircut but modern Hamm is nothing special when it comes to male celebrities.
   182. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 05:58 PM (#4283391)

My wife typically doesn't talk about other men who she finds attractive, although she has mentioned Tiki Barber a few times (even after I told her that Tiki left his pregnant wife for a younger woman).
   183. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:03 PM (#4283394)
(even after I told her that Tiki left his pregnant wife for a younger woman).

Especially after.
   184. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:04 PM (#4283396)
Chris Webber played a significant role in the last sporting event that made me cry.

Were you a Michigan Fab Five fan or a Sacramento Kings fan? Pretty sure he made both fanbases cry at least once.
   185. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:08 PM (#4283398)
Michigan fan.
   186. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:18 PM (#4283402)
Yeah, the Jon Hamm crushfest mystifies me. He looks good in 1960's suit and haircut but modern Hamm is nothing special when it comes to male celebrities.

It's not just that he's good-looking (in a Ken doll kind of way), but he's damn funny. Likewise with Clooney.
Men OR women who look really good become exponentially more attractive when they're not at all tryhard.
Idris Elba is another one. That guy pisses me off, because he seems like a cool dude, and he just WAKES UP LOOKING LIKE THAT.
   187. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:27 PM (#4283405)
Kristin Chenoweth is someone that I can't even see as being hot yet she seems to be in a lot of tv shows for some reason.
   188. jobu Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:33 PM (#4283408)
Idris Elba--yeah, I can see that. Cam Newton also strikes me as ridiculously good-looking. My wife agrees--perhaps a bit too enthusiastically for my comfort.
   189. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:36 PM (#4283410)
Oh, I didn't realize he was counting other women besides those three. Fine, that explains it.

I wasn't.

Cox was only attractive at the very beginning of the show and went downhill with each subsequent season (though part of that was her characters personality - Monica was by far my least favorite of the 6). Lisa Kudrow was never very cute, IMO.

I agree with that part, and I still have Aniston third. She's the antithesis of hot.
   190. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:37 PM (#4283413)
Kristin Chenoweth is someone that I can't even see as being hot yet she seems to be in a lot of tv shows for some reason.

Is a tiny woman. Attractive in person.

It's funny seeing her outside walking her dog, dressed in disguise with her cap pulled down and covered up in a coat... The only problem? Her big, massive neck brace gives her away.
   191. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:40 PM (#4283416)
How about a list of women with the largest differential between past looks and current looks? Because Jessica Simpson, Christina Aguilera, and Kathleen Turner have to be leading the way.

I would say Britney too, but she has rebounded to normal.
   192. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:48 PM (#4283421)
You know what older woman looks great? Your mom.
   193. Sonic Youk Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:56 PM (#4283427)
I never once found Jennifer Aniston attractive, until I rewatched Leprechaun last weekend and realized that was her. Damn.
   194. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 06:58 PM (#4283428)
I never once found Jennifer Aniston attractive, until I rewatched Leprechaun last weekend and realized that was her. Damn.

I think it was Along Came Polly for me. Those red shorts, in particular.
   195. Greg K Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:01 PM (#4283430)
Kirsten Dunst- normally agree, but found her to be very attractive in Melancholia

That's because depression is hot, duh!

Looks like it's time to join in a good old low-brow male conversation!

Mary-Louise Parker was a bit of a dark horse for me in her West Wing and early Weeds days...though from what I understand of the later Weeds seasons that show was trading pretty heavily on her looks.

Other than that...
Early-mid 90s Winona Ryder
Ellen Page
Rebecca Hall
Oddly I've never given her a second thought in anything else, but Maggie Gylenhaal in Stranger than Fiction was a winner for me.

...I stick pretty religiously to a type it seems. As if to prove the point I absolutely loved Rachel McAdams the one time I saw her with black hair (The Family Stone).
Marion Cotillard is another.

There's another grouping where I'm not sure if physical attraction is the right term. Nicole Kidman, Keira Knightley,...I'm sure there are others off the top of my head. But I'll watch literally anything with them in it. I just enjoy their company. In the interests of CanCon I'd put Sarah Polley and Molly Parker in that group too.

I should add this isn't an exclusively female thing either. I'm on a James McAvoy kick at the moment.

EDIT: Oh yes and the girl from Trainspotting! I think it's mostly her accent, but I'm always up for anything she's in. Her and McAvoy were both in the UK miniseries "State of Play". McAdams played her role in the US movie version to bring it full circle. She was also recently in Knightley's "Anna Karenina" if you want to get full Kevin Bacon in here! (who I just saw playing opposite James McAvoy in X-men! I just blew my mind).
   196. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:09 PM (#4283437)
Ellen Page

No.

Oddly I've never given her a second thought in anything else, but Maggie Gylenhaal in Stranger than Fiction was a winner for me.

And no. You should have stuck to your first thought.
   197. Greg K Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:11 PM (#4283439)
I've resigned myself to the fact that I have peculiar tastes. It is one of the many crosses fate has decreed I must bare.
   198. Bitter Mouse Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:13 PM (#4283440)
I'm no Julia Roberts fan

Her smile does it for me. The poster than mentions smarts ... to me smart is sexy and the celeb that pulls of the looks and the smarts does it for me. Of course it is often hard to tell about actors, you have to listen to them away from their script.

Will Smith is the ex's favorite, that and oddly Tim Curry. Never got that, but whatever.
   199. Bitter Mouse Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:15 PM (#4283441)
I've resigned myself to the fact that I have peculiar tastes.

I am on board with most of what you said, but I think Alyson Hannigan and Felicia Day also do it for me (Nerdy women are hot).
   200. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:18 PM (#4283443)
Nerdy women are only hot if they are hot women dressed as nerds. Alyson Hannigan is missing the prerequisite.
Page 2 of 9 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Brian
for his generous support.