Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Freep: Tigers’ Justin Verlander neither confirms nor denies he’s dating Kate Upton

People shriek on the streets of Michigan when they see Verlander in person. He can’t stop at a gas pump or go grocery shopping. Everyone knows where he lives in the off-season (Troy), what he eats the night before he pitches (Taco Bell, for three crunchy Taco Supremes, a Cheesy Gordita Crunch and a Mexican Pizza, hold the tomatoes) and where he grabs his morning coffee.

Justin Verlander: wins Cy Youngs, dates supermodels, eats crap.

eddieot Posted: October 24, 2012 at 01:34 PM | 868 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: giants, tigers, verlander, world series

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 9 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›
   201. Greg K Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:25 PM (#4283444)
Nerdy women are only hot if they are hot women dressed as nerds. Alyson Hannigan is missing the prerequisite.

This is perhaps one of the most annoying practices in Hollywood to me. You can't just slap some glasses on a hot girl and make her a nerd. There's a whole personality of insecurity, self-loathing, and tragedy you have to fit in as well. If a hot girl can manage that as well, then maybe I'll give her a chance.

It's like a convincing drunk scene for me. You see it done poorly so often that on the rare times it's done right it's amazing. I just saw an episode of Peep Show where David Mitchell meets and falls for a nerdy girl done well...it was something special.

EDIT: I will note that Miss Hannigan isn't my cup of tea...but to each his own.
   202. McCoy Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:28 PM (#4283447)
It's not just that he's good-looking (in a Ken doll kind of way), but he's damn funny. Likewise with Clooney.
Men OR women who look really good become exponentially more attractive when they're not at all tryhard.
Idris Elba is another one. That guy pisses me off, because he seems like a cool dude, and he just WAKES UP LOOKING LIKE THAT.

I've never really found him funny, in fact whenever I see him do comedy I generally come off with the impression that he can't act.
   203. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:30 PM (#4283449)
I am on board with most of what you said, but I think Alyson Hannigan and Felicia Day also do it for me (Nerdy women are hot).

That reminds me, Eliza Dushku worked extremely well on Buffy for my then teenage self.
   204. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:33 PM (#4283451)
It's like a convincing drunk scene for me.

Barfly, Mickey Rourke...there is no better example of this.
   205. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:35 PM (#4283453)
and the celeb that pulls of the looks and the smarts does it for me

Yes. And that's why I'd consider Emma Watson to be the most attractive celebrity, even if not the hottest.
   206. Greg K Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:41 PM (#4283458)
Just thinking about my slavish devotion to a "type"...

Simon Amstell's stand up provides a line that rings true to me.

"I was in Paris recently with a group of new people. One of which was a sort of kooky, interesting girl. But in hindsight...not that interesting. I always get fooled. I always think, 'oh she seems fascinating'. Is she Simon? Or does she just have short hair?"
   207. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:42 PM (#4283459)
How about a list of women with the largest differential between past looks and current looks?

Melissa Joan Hart. Looked decent (not hot, but okay) in her Teenage Witch days; not even remotely attractive now in her 30's.

Oddly I've never given her a second thought in anything else, but Maggie Gylenhaal in Stranger than Fiction was a winner for me.

Really? I was gonna put her on my earlier list of supposedly hot celebs that I didn't find even slightly attractive, but I figured she wouldn't fit that category cuz I doubted anyone else found her attractive either. The scene in Dark Knight where the joker is threatening her, calling her beautiful, etc, is almost laughable to me just because of how clearly NON-beautiful she actually is. I'll bet even a straight guy like Heath Ledger had a harder time faking attraction towards her than he did with her brother in Brokeback.
   208. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:52 PM (#4283467)
Alyson Hannigan

I didn't think she was very cute in the American Pie movies and I never saw Buffy (wasn't she in that?), but she's actually getting better looking with age, IMO. She looks pretty good sometimes on HIMYM (at least up through the 6th season - haven't seen the later two yet). I'd actually rather hook up with her than Cobie Smulders now, something I never would have said during the shows first few seasons.
   209. Greg K Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:55 PM (#4283473)
I think it's heavily context related. Put a decent actress in a good (great?) movie and I can sometimes find it hard to tell what it is I'm finding alluring.

I think that's why beauty can be so hard to convey in these threads using photos. Or how I have difficulty wrapping my head around the beauty of models. It's an all-encompassing quality, and I find it hard to judge without watching someone walk and talk and exist as a human being (albeit for the purposes of this discussion usually in the form of playing one in a movie).
   210. Swoboda is freedom Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:55 PM (#4283475)
It's like a convincing drunk scene for me.

Barfly, Mickey Rourke...there is no better example of this.

Drinks for all my friends!!!
   211. Swoboda is freedom Posted: October 25, 2012 at 07:58 PM (#4283481)
How about a list of women with the largest differential between past looks and current looks?

Ellen Barkin. Very pretty in Diner, hot in Sea of Love. Dropped off real quick after that.
   212. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: October 25, 2012 at 08:04 PM (#4283484)

Jennifer Love-Hewitt. Cute and kinda sexy in Party of 5. Just not as nice looking in Ghost Whisperer.
   213. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 25, 2012 at 08:06 PM (#4283486)
Kirsten Dunst -- Yes
Kudrow over Aniston -- Aniston is so clingy and whiny and needy she's never done a thing for me
Old-School Beckinsale -- Yes

Blake Lively vs. Leighton Meester -- Meester
Zooey -- Yes
The bird that plays Cece on that show -- Yes
Alison Brie -- Yes
Cobie Smulders way over Hanigan
Jennifer Connelly -- Yes, indeed.

Theron looked damn good in Prometheus

Hall of Merit, 50s version: Grace Kelly, Jean Seberg.
   214. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 25, 2012 at 08:06 PM (#4283488)
Jennifer Love-Hewitt.

Liked Neve Campbell from that era.

Oh, Natalie Portman -- Yes, indeed.
   215. Kurt Posted: October 25, 2012 at 08:17 PM (#4283501)

Kathleen Turner for sure
Meg Ryan
Nicolette Sheridan
Elizabeth Taylor in her later years
Christina Aguilera
Teri Hatcher

Hey, where is Sam M these days? This conversation is reminding me of the time I expressed a certain fondness for Lucy Lawless, and he said that even as a gay man he found her too mannish.
   216. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 25, 2012 at 08:20 PM (#4283506)
Hall of Merit, 50s version: Grace Kelly
Inner circle Hall of Fame.
   217. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 08:31 PM (#4283531)
Kathleen Turner for sure
Meg Ryan
Nicolette Sheridan
Christina Aguilera
Teri Hatcher

Not really the type we're discussing, but Jenna Jameson and her new fish face has to be in here.

218. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 08:32 PM (#4283536)

Kathleen Turner for sure
Meg Ryan
Nicolette Sheridan
Christina Aguilera
Teri Hatcher

Kirstie Alley. Never really very good looking, I guess, but she's dropped way, WAY below even the average-ish looks she had in Cheers.

Also Molly Ringwald. Not pretty but at least okay in her 80's heyday. Below average by her mid 20's in the 90's (The Stand). Very unappealing in her 40's (Secret Life of the American Teen).

And of course, Sarah Jessica Parker. Never super pretty, but she was at least a little cute in LA Story 20 years ago. Now she just looks like a man in drag.
   219. flournoy Posted: October 25, 2012 at 08:32 PM (#4283537)
Yes. And that's why I'd consider Emma Watson to be the most attractive celebrity, even if not the hottest.

Man, I don't know. For me, she faces the deal-breaker that in my mind, she's still about ten or eleven years old.
   220. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 25, 2012 at 09:12 PM (#4283636)
Man, I don't know. For me, she faces the deal-breaker that in my mind, she's still about ten or eleven years old.

It's funnier if you struggle remembering which one is Emma Watson and which is Emily Watson.
   221. Lassus Posted: October 25, 2012 at 09:20 PM (#4283645)
I have never once been attracted to Julia Roberts, as long as we're having one of these threads.

And, on the opposite end, Carey Mulligan. That is all.
   222. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 25, 2012 at 09:25 PM (#4283651)
I have never once been attracted to Julia Roberts, as long as we're having one of these threads.

This.

And this.

223. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: October 25, 2012 at 09:26 PM (#4283655)
[219] It probably helps that Emma is only 2 years younger than me
   224. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: October 25, 2012 at 09:40 PM (#4283675)

This.

I will third this also.
   225. flournoy Posted: October 25, 2012 at 09:46 PM (#4283679)
[219] It probably helps that Emma is only 2 years younger than me

Probably, but she's only six years younger than me. Just a mental thing, I guess.
   226. phatj Posted: October 25, 2012 at 09:55 PM (#4283689)
No woman has ever been hotter than Elisha Cuthbert in the early 2000's.

I caught a bit of whatever short-lived TV show she was on recently and almost didn't recognize her. She doesn't look bad at all, just... different, in a way I couldn't quite place. And no longer especially attractive.
   227. JJ1986 Posted: October 25, 2012 at 09:58 PM (#4283693)
I caught a bit of whatever short-lived TV show she was on recently

Happy Endings - It's not short-lived yet, still on the air.
   228. phatj Posted: October 25, 2012 at 10:02 PM (#4283699)
Oh. I don't watch much TV.
   229. Dale Berra of Seville (was Rennie's Tenet) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM (#4283706)
Elisha Cuthbert

I always confuse this person with Elisha Cook.
   230. Tuque Posted: October 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM (#4283719)
Lizzy Caplan

I'm always surprised she hasn't turned into a big star...very pretty, a talented actress, and charming in a sort of sardonic, Robert-Downey-Jr. kind of way.

It's a shame, because there are a lot of male actors (like Downey) who trade on that kind of thing. Sometimes I wonder if Hollywood just isn't willing to go for an actress/female character who doesn't fall back on the helpless-pretty-girl-in-trouble act.

Part of what I like about Emma Stone is that she's one of the few A-list actresses under 40 that I've seen who's capable of coming off as smart.
   231. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM (#4283726)

Unfortunately, she lost it within five years.

I read a column recently written by a random woman that used to be hot. She said that she could pinpoint the moment she lost it: guys on the street stopped looking twice at her and checking her out. She said it was a very lonely, empty feeling. (Contra feminism which teaches that it is degrading to women when men view women as sex objects, I guess.)
   232. Tuque Posted: October 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM (#4283732)

There are two terrible shows that I've watched large quantities of basically because of one thoroughly terrible but very good-looking actress. One is Smallville (Kristen Kreuk) and the other is 24.

I am not proud.
   233. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: October 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM (#4283747)
I can neither confirm nor deny that I watched the first few years of Smallville solely because of Kristen Kreuk.
   234. jobu Posted: October 25, 2012 at 11:00 PM (#4283847)
Can't believe I forgot this one. Emma Stone. Not the face, not the figure. But the total package is awesome.
   235. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM (#4283854)
Seriously, as to Verlander, what kind of jackass who is not seeing someone would "not deny" that he is seeing her? Either Verlander is seeing her, or he's a jackass.
   236. Swoboda is freedom Posted: October 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM (#4283871)

Kathleen Turner for sure
Meg Ryan
Nicolette Sheridan
Christina Aguilera
Teri Hatcher

More old time but Shelly Winters. Very hot young starlet, then fat.
   237. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM (#4283908)
More old time but Shelly Winters. Very hot young starlet, then fat.

She was a horse in the Poseidon Adventure.

Rosemary Clooney perhaps fits here.
   238. morineko Posted: October 25, 2012 at 11:43 PM (#4283925)
things this thread has shown me:

1) the tastes of men attracted to women and women attracted to women intersect very little;
2) I don't watch enough television or see enough movies to know who most of these people are;
3) I'm not the only person who watched something horrible just to see the attractive person in it.
   239. base ball chick Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM (#4283934)
152. Booey Posted: October 25, 2012 at 04:24 PM (#4283284)
And we wonder why there aren't more women primates.

I actually think it would be very entertaining if BBC or another woman (if there are any on BBTF) showed up and rated the celebrity guys the way we've been doing with the gals.

- hello boyZ
attractive female celebrities? who knows what they look like without all the photoshopping/CGI. most White females look like they haven't eaten anything but cigarettes in weeks. kate upton is not chunky, but at least she looks as if she eats actual food. minka kelly?? bleccccchhhh

gabrielle union is unbelieveably beautiful. and so was viveca fox.

as for the blonds/attractiveness - well i once asked Husband if he thought jennifer aniston/gwenyth paltrow/usual blond actresses were hot and he said he'd rather nail helen mirren. so i said - but she older than your mother!!! and he said well, then don't ask and i won't tell.

You People are simply impossible

as for male celebrities and male attractiveness
well there ray, hate to tell you but it is unbelieveable how men over 35 or so are significantly less goodlooking than they were 10 years and 30 pounds ago.

hot celebrities?

well i think regular readers of this column know very well who i think the HOTTTTTT White boys are - the few around baseball i like. buster posey and matt holliday are kind of the gwyneth paltrows of the male world - good features, good body, NOT even a little bit sexy.

i don't get the brad pitt is sexy. not at all. not even a little. never did. jon hamm is as attractive as a piece of ham. uck.

i see hotter White guys around houston ( i mean SEXIER, you smartasses) than on tv. no makeup and they don't look phony. and they got NICE clean faces too. there was one FINE boy in the kroger last weekend and - well, i'm a good little grrl, so nevermind

i LUUUVVVVV morris chestnut, shemar moore, terrence howard, jet li, omar epps. oh yeah - daniel dae kim and alex o'laughlin. i watch their show even though it is really stupid just to look at them. i would like eric christian olsen if he got rid of that hideous face hair. him and jayson werth can just line up for me to give em a NICE clean shave and a lil haircut and a heapin helpin of flava...

however, hotttttest actor EVAH is russell wong.

240. Lassus Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:25 AM (#4283943)
I only realized RIGHT NOW that this thread was not about Kate Hudson. My GF had to tell me.
   241. jobu Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:25 AM (#4283944)
he said he'd rather nail helen mirren

Helen Mirren definitely still has it going on. I agree. I would "date" her over gwyneth paltrow.
   242. Lassus Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM (#4283950)
I just re-read the whole thread with my GF. She said it sounds like a lot of boys saying crappy things about girls they could never hope to date.
   243. andrewberg Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM (#4283951)
That's silly. Nobody is evaluating what any of these people would be like to date. They are marketed for their physical appearance and paid for it. Comparing their physical appearances is like comparing players' WAR, only way more subjective, which makes the discussion interesting.
   244. Dale Berra of Seville (was Rennie's Tenet) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:01 AM (#4283952)
I think Helen Mirren might be one of the safe places a guy can go to, like saying Oprah's beautiful if your girl's weight is up a little.
   245. Dale Berra of Seville (was Rennie's Tenet) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:03 AM (#4283954)
She said it sounds like a lot of boys saying crappy things about girls they could never hope to date.

That would be an Anna Benson thread.
   246. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:13 AM (#4283957)
Helen Mirren definitely still has it going on. I agree. I would "date" her over gwyneth paltrow.

This is silly. There is no way you sleep with a 65 year old Helen Mirren over a 40 year old Gwyneth Paltrow.
   247. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:25 AM (#4283959)
This is silly. There is no way you sleep with a 65 year old Helen Mirren over a 40 year old Gwyneth Paltrow.

And as a 48 year old guy, for once, I agree with Ray.

Absolutely, no doubt, hands down. shut the door. case closed.
   248. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:12 AM (#4283964)

Absolutely, no doubt, hands down. shut the door. case closed.

And when you open that door, Ms. Kelly just might have a surprise for you....
   249. Greg K Posted: October 26, 2012 at 05:23 AM (#4283977)
I only realized RIGHT NOW that this thread was not about Kate Hudson. My GF had to tell me.

Not from a attractiveness stand-point, but simply one of actresses, Kate Hudson has a really promising beginning, Almost Famous, followed by a really disappointing career. It took me longer than it should have to realize Scarlet Johanson had followed a similar path after Lost in Translation.

Speaking of Helen Mirren and treating objects like women, man...
This interview of a young Helen Mirren by Michael Parkinson is a pretty striking example. "She's especially telling in projecting sluttish eroticism" - what a classy introduction!
   250. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 06:11 AM (#4283978)
I read a column recently written by a random woman that used to be hot. She said that she could pinpoint the moment she lost it: guys on the street stopped looking twice at her and checking her out. She said it was a very lonely, empty feeling. (Contra feminism which teaches that it is degrading to women when men view women as sex objects, I guess.)

Ray is shocked to find some people enjoying degrading things. Well, claims to be shocked. What he does with that gimp costume is his business.
   251. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 07:50 AM (#4283987)

For proven veteran leadership (TM), I turn to Olivia Williams and Kristin Scott-Thomas.
   252. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 08:06 AM (#4283992)
I had a crush on Courtney Thorne-Smith until she signed up to do that sitcom with Jim Belushi. I can't find a woman who attractive who will even pretend to be attracted to Jim Belushi even in pretend for what I assume was a truckload of money.

Also, why doesn't Rita Hayworth ever get any mentions when people start talking old school?

For proven veteran leadership (TM), I turn to Olivia Williams and Kristin Scott-Thomas.

I really like Olivia Williams and Rachel Weisz.
   253. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 08:10 AM (#4283993)
I mentioned Grace Kelly yesterday, and nobody said boo.....

Helen Mirren is a woman. She's a bit old now, but even in her mid-50's she was still sexy as far as I'm concerned. She was in some movie in the late 60's where she played a muse to an artist and swam aroudn in the ocean naked. It has the very off-putting title "Age of Consent", but since she was 23/24 when it was filmed I'm not feeling any shame.

Andie McDowell was always a fave of mine.

Kristen Scott-Thomas is sexy on some levels, but her eyes looked like they've been half chiseled out by a crow or something. I find her unhealthy looking. GregUK probably likes her!
   254. jobu Posted: October 26, 2012 at 08:17 AM (#4283994)

Look, it's obviously not going to happen in either case, and this is all meant in fun for all of us, I presume....but Helen Mirren has a better figure than Gwyneth Paltrow. She really does, especially if you prefer a certain body type. Plus, there is the Gordie Howe Sex Club to think of. I've only got the 1960s and 1970s checked off.
   255. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 08:39 AM (#4283999)

I find her to be downright boyish.
   256. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 08:51 AM (#4284008)
Michael Keaton Award for plunging off the face of the Earth (career-wise) for no readily explicable reason:

Bridget Fonda
Mira Sorvino

257. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: October 26, 2012 at 08:58 AM (#4284012)
I learned recently that Bridget Fonda is married to Danny Elfman. I don't know why but that seemed very very odd to me. According to IMDB she last acted in 2002 and had a baby in 2003. My guess is she simply decided to be a mom. I wouldn't be at all shocked to learn that growing up in such a well-known acting family burnt her out a bit.
   258. JJ1986 Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:08 AM (#4284014)
Michael Keaton Award for plunging off the face of the Earth (career-wise) for no readily explicable reason:

and Thora Birch
   259. Greg K Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:15 AM (#4284018)
Kristen Scott-Thomas is sexy on some levels, but her eyes looked like they've been half chiseled out by a crow or something. I find her unhealthy looking. GregUK probably likes her!

I did her sardonic wit and thinly veiled depression in Four Weddings and a Funeral.

I find her to be downright boyish.

I realize this is going to be all kinds of awkward to announce, but I think this is the quality that she, along with Ellen Page and a younger Winona Ryder have, that draws me in. Ideally I'd find a word to describe it better than "boyish", but I think we're giving different names to a very similar quality.

I really hope this makes sense.
   260. hokieneer Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:20 AM (#4284021)
and Thora Birch

So Ghost World makes a career? I honestly can't remember her being in anything else.
   261. Greg K Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:23 AM (#4284023)
So Ghost World makes a career? I honestly can't remember her being in anything else.

American Beauty. Though I would agree. I'd describe her narrative more as "initial promise that never really got off the ground".
   262. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:26 AM (#4284026)
Thora Birch's career, sadly, seems to be undone by having a crazy stage father.
   263. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:29 AM (#4284029)
Greg, I think the word you're looking for is elfin, and that's perfectly OK.
   264. hokieneer Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:29 AM (#4284030)
American Beauty. Though I would agree. I'd describe her narrative more as "initial promise that never really got off the ground".

I have seen American Beauty, but can't remember one detail about it other than I think Kevin Spacey was in it. Probably for the best.

I agree with your updated narrative. She never had anything comparable to a Keaton peak-then-disappearance.
   265. Greg K Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:30 AM (#4284031)
Greg, I think the word you're looking for is elfin, and that's perfectly OK.

That sounds a bit better, thanks!
   266. JJ1986 Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:32 AM (#4284032)
I agree with your updated narrative. She never had anything comparable to a Keaton peak-then-disappearance.

Yeah, you're right, but she was much better looking than Keaton.

edit: I don't really think of Fonda as having a huge career before disappearing either.
   267. BDC Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:36 AM (#4284034)
Mira Sorvino works constantly, but in independent films. It makes sense; her father Paul has also had a number of memorable roles in major films, but he too works a great deal in indie films (and on stage). It's just a different career track. Not everybody is aiming for high-Hollywood stardom, and it isn't sour grapes to say you prefer indie culture (particularly if you're clutching an Oscar while doing so :)
   268. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:38 AM (#4284036)
Sure it does, Greg.

I always struggle with this stuff. Not the objectification per se - these are people who have, by and large, chosen to be commodified in that way - but there's a distancing, from the screen to the eye, that I have trouble bridging. It's part of why I've never made a list of the "celebrity it'd be okay for me to cheat on an SO with" variety (well, mainly that I find that idea creepy on a number of levels) - I can't get past 'sure, that famous person is attractive too, no surprise there'. Yes, there are a handful of names listed above where I don't see the appeal or where I'd agree that they're particularly striking, but that's different from thinking that I'd want to be with them.

Yes, I know I'm taking this subject the wrong way / differently than others do - that's my point.
   269. hokieneer Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:41 AM (#4284038)
Did anyone else find the link in #262 a little creepy beyond just controlling stage parent?
   270. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:46 AM (#4284039)
Did anyone else find the link in #262 a little creepy beyond just controlling stage parent?

I just read it now....pretty messed up indeed. Poor girl.
   271. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:52 AM (#4284043)
She was so good in "Ghost World" too. Enid Coleslaw is not an easy role.
   272. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:55 AM (#4284046)
Juliette Lewis burned out pretty quick.
   273. ThisElevatorIsDrivingMeUpTheWall Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM (#4284051)
For hall of fame, you have to have Audrey Hepburn in there too, although she is the very definition of way too skinny.

Sofia Vergara is 40s hot in every sense.

I am ashamed of how many times I've watched Beautiful Girls mostly to watch a far too young Natalie Portman.
   274. Gazizza, my Dilznoofuses! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM (#4284054)
I am ashamed of how many times I've watched Beautiful Girls mostly to watch a far too young Natalie Portman.

I saw Mars Attacks with a friend. When Natalie Portman came on screen, he told me a lot of his friends really wanted her. I said, "Dude, she's like 15." "See Beautiful Girls, you'll understand."

A few months later, I saw Beautiful Girls. I phoned him and told him I understood.

Now, though, I find her beautiful but not sexy.
   275. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM (#4284058)

Kathleen Turner for sure
Meg Ryan
Nicolette Sheridan
Christina Aguilera
Teri Hatcher

Jan Hooks
   276. BDC Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM (#4284060)
Crtl+F tells me that 275 posts have gone by with no mention of Penelope Cruz. I think of her because she's the latter-day Sophia Loren: insanely impossible good looks, and at the same time a phenomenal actress. She is uncanny in various Almodovar films.
   277. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM (#4284061)
I have seen American Beauty, but can't remember one detail about it other than I think Kevin Spacey was in it. Probably for the best.

Is that the worst movie ever to win Best Picture? Has to be up there.

Edit: Having skimmed the list on Wiki, I have to say yes, at least of the ~75% I've seen.
   278. JL Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM (#4284063)
Seriously, as to Verlander, what kind of jackass who is not seeing someone would "not deny" that he is seeing her? Either Verlander is seeing her, or he's a jackass.

Only if you are assuming that are operating under our rules. There is a lot of publicity management that goes on with models and actors. I could easily see a scenario where they agree to this answer because they are casually dating and it is good to keep both names in the spotlight. Similar to the actress who cheated on her boyfriend getting back together with him just in time to promote their new movie.
   279. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM (#4284065)
Is that the worst movie ever to win Best Picture? Has to be up there.

There's a lot of competition for that honor. I don't really get why people even take the Oscars seriously anymore. Hey everyone, here's some mediocre crap for ya!
   280. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:21 AM (#4284067)
Penelope is beautiful, and her voice makes her seem like she'd never get mad at you other than the odd temporary hotblooded Latin outburst.
   281. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM (#4284068)
There's a lot of competition for that honor. I don't really get why people even take the Oscars seriously anymore. Hey everyone, here's some mediocre crap for ya!

I don't mind the mediocrity if it's at least light, entertaining mediocrity (e.g. Gladiator, Braveheart, The King's Speech), but I can't stand moralistic mediocrity that gets off posing about how deep and meaningful it is.
   282. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM (#4284069)
Mars Attacks

Speaking of Mars Attacks, Lisa Marie (Tim Burton's wife, not Elvis's daughter) is (or was) extremely hot.
   283. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM (#4284070)
Penelope is beautiful, and her voice makes her seem like she'd never get mad at you other than the odd temporary hotblooded Latin outburst.

Yeah, but Salma Hayek has it all over her.
   284. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:28 AM (#4284072)
Since we're veering off into general film discussion, did anyone see Drive with Ryan Gosling and the boyish Carey Mulligan? I would never claim to have a GD clue about what constitutes good film, but I thought it was excellent, if a bit too violent for my tastes.
   285. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:28 AM (#4284073)

Yes, I'd agree to that.
   286. BDC Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM (#4284075)
Is that the worst movie ever to win Best Picture?

Historically speaking, there's really tough competition for that honor. Looking back through the list, starting with recent strings like English Patient / Braveheart / Forrest Gump, you've got lots and lots of candidates. Out of Africa. Gandhi. The bizarre 1960s string of ghastly musicals: Oliver, The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady. Around the World in 80 Days. The Greatest Show on Earth. Olivier's Hamlet, geez, that's hard to sit through. Going My Way. The Life of Emile Zola, which can be fun in an MST3000 sort of way, but as a film, a huge can of corn.

I thought American Beauty was intriguing when I saw it (first run, in the theatre), but have never been interested in seeing it again. I'd give it mixed marks. I am the same age as Spacey and his character, and I naturally identified with the mid-life-crisis theme, but I know a lot, lot of younger men who see it as cheaply cynical. And I thought the tortured young filmmaker stuff with the paper sacks twisting in the wind was badly done. Nothing wrong with Bening and Spacey as the leads, though, as I recall it. It's a clichéd situation, but if you avoid them you don't go to many movies at all.
   287. Greg K Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM (#4284078)

One of the reasons I love BTF is that it is confirmed that I'm not entirely crazy for how much I love this movie. Even has a Mira Sorvino sighting!
   288. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:32 AM (#4284080)
Is that the worst movie ever to win Best Picture?

Not in a world in which The English Patient received the award.

(Or Slumdog Millionaire or The King's Speech or....)
   289. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:32 AM (#4284081)

I thought American Beauty was intriguing when I saw it (first run, in the theatre), but have never been interested in seeing it again.

That's the key to me. A lot of those "bad" movies you list I'll watch if they're on TV, and I'm sitting around doing nothing.

American Beauty?; wouldn't even pause long enough for the picture to come up on the screen.
   290. Bitter Mouse Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM (#4284084)
On the subject of TV I watch for the scenery - Fairly Legal. The woman (Sarah Shahi) is just crazy good looking. I have no idea if the show is good or not. It is not bad enough to stop me from watching it, I know that much.
   291. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM (#4284085)
Not in a world in which The English Patient received the award.

(Or Slumdog Millionaire or The King's Speech or....)

Never saw The English Patient (or Out of Africa), but I didn't hate "The King's speech" or "Slumdog...". Not great, or even very good, but certainly watchable.
   292. Greg K Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM (#4284086)
Since we're veering off into general film discussion, did anyone see Drive with Ryan Gosling and the boyish Carey Mulligan? I would never claim to have a GD clue about what constitutes good film, but I thought it was excellent, if a bit too violent for my tastes.

I know Lassus has often expressed an undying love for that movie, but I think that's just his love for Carey Mulligan blinding him.

I think I had the same reaction as you...it's not the type of movie I usually like (ie. violent) but I found myself really enjoying it. I read an interview from the director where he described how he was heavily influenced by Brothers Grimm fairy tales in creating it (did he write and direct? I forget) that made sense to me. Ryan Gosling as a kind of inhuman hero coming in from some unexplained ether and then returning to it.
   293. Ravecc Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM (#4284088)
Female here, and turnabout, etc.

Jude Law and Hugh Jackman top my list.

Ben Affleck looks like a himbo, but the man wrote Good Will Hunting when he was 6, so he’s gotta be smart, but I’ve always found Matt Damon to be little less good-looking but with more substance. Ryan Gosling is the same – gorgeous, with substance.
Brad Cooper seem like a total himbo, but a lot of fun. Same with Ryan Reynolds.

I reserve a special place in my heart for pretty boys: Pierce Brosnan, young Tom Cruise, Jake Gyllenhall. Not quite sure I put Bradd Pitt in this category, but he has his good days.

I dislike when perfectly ordinary-looking guys get superstar roles. Hated Justin Long and Shia Lebouf, and now Andrew Garfield for that. Henry Cavill – loved him in The Tudors, and he’s a perfectly suitable Superman.

294. The Good Face Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM (#4284090)

Yes, I'd agree to that.

Salma Hayek has an oddly square shaped head. Never stopped her from being incredibly hot, but still an unusual feature for such an attractive celebrity.
   295. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM (#4284091)
On the subject of TV I watch for the scenery

Charmed - three hot leads
Rehab Addict - DIY network show about a spunky little blond hottie who restores historical homes
   296. Bitter Mouse Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:39 AM (#4284092)
but I thought it was excellent

I liked Drive, or rather I enjoyed watching it and thought it was different enough to be interesting. Everyone I was with HATED it though. It seems a very polarizing movie and worth watching, but I am not sure it was good.

And in a rare burst of agreement with Ray ... The English Patient was horrible beyond belief. American Beauty was pretentious but otherwise fine. The King's Speech was very good I thought, but perhaps the fact I saw it with my eldest boy who has gone through speech therapy and loved it influenced me.
   297. Greg K Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:39 AM (#4284093)
Ryan Gosling is the same – gorgeous, with substance.

Since we're kind of on the subject, the range of movies Gosling has been in recently I find impressive. Drive, Crazy, Stupid Love, Ides of March, Blue Valentine. They range from really good movies to ok, to pretty bad. But Gosling plays pretty starkly different characters in all of them and is part of the reason the good ones are good, and not really the reason Crazy, Stupid Love is bad.
   298. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:40 AM (#4284094)
Female here, and turnabout, etc.

What I find interesting is the agreement/disagreement between men and women as to which male stars are attractive.

There's a certain set of male celebs where guys "get" their attractiveness, and another set where we're dumfounded by what women see in them.
   299. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM (#4284097)
I wasn't attracted to her in any physical way at the time, but Natalie Portman's performances in The Professional and Heat were suberb.
   300. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM (#4284098)
I dislike when perfectly ordinary-looking guys get superstar roles. Hated Justin Long and Shia Lebouf, and now Andrew Garfield for that.

You must hate French movies!

My gf likes Ewan McGregor and Jude Law. She REALLY like Thom Yorke, though. Go figure.

I liked Drive, or rather I enjoyed watching it and thought it was different enough to be interesting. Everyone I was with HATED it though. It seems a very polarizing movie and worth watching, but I am not sure it was good.

I thought it was good. I didn't like that they made the meaning of the scorpion imagery so explicit, though. I guess they worried a lot of people would miss it and think the Gosling character just liked ugly jackets.
Page 3 of 9 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.