Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Freep: Tigers’ Justin Verlander neither confirms nor denies he’s dating Kate Upton

People shriek on the streets of Michigan when they see Verlander in person. He can’t stop at a gas pump or go grocery shopping. Everyone knows where he lives in the off-season (Troy), what he eats the night before he pitches (Taco Bell, for three crunchy Taco Supremes, a Cheesy Gordita Crunch and a Mexican Pizza, hold the tomatoes) and where he grabs his morning coffee.

Justin Verlander: wins Cy Youngs, dates supermodels, eats crap.

eddieot Posted: October 24, 2012 at 01:34 PM | 868 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: giants, tigers, verlander, world series

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 9 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > 
   401. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM (#4284250)
I can watch the first two Godfather films continuously.

Concur on I, and the flashback half of II; DeNiro is awesome. I thought the Nevada/Miami/Cuba part of II was ridiculous, nonsensical and painful to watch. Michael's behavior is literally unbelievable.
   402. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM (#4284251)
I like westerns, but I don't see what's so special about Unforgiven. In that vein (gritty, revisionist western), McCabe & Mrs. Miller is much better IMO.
   403. ThisElevatorIsDrivingMeUpTheWall Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM (#4284252)
Unforgiven has some decent wide scenes and few useful memorable lines. Not like Princess Bride, Animal House, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Casablanca etc. but more along the Cool Hand Luke amount.

Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
   404. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM (#4284255)
but the AV Club's list is fundamentally flawed by putting Goodfellas a slot above Pulp Fiction, which WAS the best movie of the 90s and it's not really even close.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Goodfellas is much better than Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction was good popcorn fodder, but it was all gimicks.

GF is better than PF

Perhaps my "problem" with Pulp Fiction (namely that I think its merely very good and not great it seems)is that I went to see it at the urging of a friend who seemingly thought that PF was the most incredible ground breaking 90+ minutes of awesomeness that one could ever see... I disagreed... I thought it was entertaining, but a bit campy and downright hokey in spots...

PF did have some truly great scenes/ bits of dialogue- such as when the in hiding druggies bursts into the room, pistol blazing, yelling die scum, firing off an entire clip- and missing, the look Jackson and Travolta give eachother, and the wall behind them (full of holes)- before shooting the guy, priceless...

405. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM (#4284256)
I can watch the first two Godfather films continuously.

Did that back to back on a flight recently. As I recall I watched Laurence of Arabia on the same flight. On a classic kick that day for some reason.

406. ThisElevatorIsDrivingMeUpTheWall Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM (#4284258)
McCabe and Mrs. Miller reminds me of another movie I just kept on watching a few years back; Altman's The Long Goodbye. I guess it's easier than ever to do that since most tv channels that play movies will run the same one a bunch of times.
   407. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM (#4284259)
Once Upon A Time in the West is laughably bad, and horribly boring.

Loved Unforgiven, though.

There was a western with Cate Blanchet that I loved.... The Missing.
   408. Bitter Mouse Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:19 PM (#4284260)
So Cloud Atlas, another movie I am really not sure about. I suppose I should see it in the theater though.
   409. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:19 PM (#4284261)
Heat was probably the most disappointing movie of all time...

I think I'm going to nominate The Phantom Menace for that title. Saw that one opening night at Mann's Chinese Theatre and the crowd afterwards acted like they'd been shitmisted. Not being a Star Wars geek myself, it was pretty amusing watching my friends try and talk themselves into liking what they'd seen.
   410. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM (#4284264)

Concur on I, and the flashback half of II; DeNiro is awesome. I thought the Nevada/Miami/Cuba part of II was ridiculous, nonsensical and painful to watch. Michael's behavior is literally unbelievable.

I agree on II --

I remember there was/are re-edits that break II into two separate movies and I very much prefer the flashback to the 'present day' stuff to the point that I skip the Michael/Pacino stuff.
   411. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM (#4284266)
I'm gonna throw one put there- The Good the Bad and the Weird- a bizarro world remake of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, set along the Manchurian/Korean border area in WWII...

412. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM (#4284267)
I'm gonna throw one put there- The Good the Bad and the Weird- a bizarro world remake of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, set along the Manchurian/Korean border area in WWII...

Is this an actual film, or a script you have in development?
   413. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM (#4284269)
PF did have some truly great scenes/ bits of dialogue- such as when the in hiding druggies bursts into the room, pistol blazing, yelling die scum, firing off an entire clip- and missing, the look Jackson and Travolta give eachother, and the wall behind them (full of holes)- before shooting the guy, priceless...

So - ultimately, you land with Travolta... "it happens"... I'm with Samuel L -- "what we saw here was a miracle and I want you to acknowledge it". Thus it is with the film itself.
   414. JJ1986 Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM (#4284270)
I can't remember the name, but I like that really cheesy western with Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCaprio that came out in the 90s.
   415. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM (#4284271)
I think I'm going to nominate The Phantom Menace for that title. Saw that one opening night at Mann's Chinese Theatre and the crowd afterwards acted like they'd been shitmisted. Not being a Star Wars geek myself, it was pretty amusing watching my friends try and talk themselves into liking what they'd seen.

Oof. What a terrible, terrible movie. A whiff in every way imaginable and it led to two more equally shitty movies I was stupid enough to pay to see. On the other hand, it did give us that hilarious youtube review of it. The only movie review I've watched more than once!
   416. ThisElevatorIsDrivingMeUpTheWall Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM (#4284272)
I know he's not a great actor, but I always give Harrison Ford props for making that Star Wars dialog seem vaguely comprehensible.
   417. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM (#4284273)
can watch the first two Godfather films continuously.

Did that back to back on a flight recently.

Regarding Godfather 3- obviously the movie just did not work- but upon re-watching I realized that there were bits and pieces that did- most stuff that had Pacino in it worked- except with Sofia Coppola- stuff between Any Garcia and Pacino worked, but scenes without Pacino didn't- the early scene where Garcia takes down the two burglars *should have* worked, but did not... aggravating movie.
   418. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM (#4284274)
McCabe and Mrs. Miller reminds me of another movie I just kept on watching a few years back; Altman's The Long Goodbye.

Yeah, The Long Goodbye is one of my favorite Altman films, just a wonderful, shaggy, shambolic modernized noir.

Plus, it's got Jim Bouton!

[edit] And super-early Ahnold.
   419. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4284275)
Heat was probably the most disappointing movie of all time...

Ooohhh... close... I think I'd probably still take Heat, but mostly because I remember the Ewoks/Jedi and went into Phantom Menace expecting that Lucas would be more likely to be doing Ewoks than Empire.

You're right, though -- same experience seeing Phantom... everyone trying to convince themselves it really wasn't that bad - even good - when it was clearly a film that desperately wished it was an animated Disney movie.

EDIT: and a straight-to-video, not particularly good Disney movie at that.
   420. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4284276)
Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead composed the score for There Will Be Blood. Very chilling music, the film wouldn't have been the same without it, at all.

Did anyone see Down in the Valley, with Edward Norton, Evan Rachel Wood and David Morse? I thought that was a really good movie.

The Big Lebowski is my favourite of all time, hands down.
   421. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4284277)
Oof. What a terrible, terrible movie. A whiff in every way imaginable and it led to two more equally shitty movies I was stupid enough to pay to see. On the other hand, it did give us that hilarious youtube review of it. The only movie review I've watched more than once!

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the Star Wars prequels. I'm just pissed you can't get versions of the originals that haven't been butchered by Lucas. Greedo shooting first in the Canbtina? WTF?
   422. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4284278)
I know he's not a great actor, but I always give Harrison Ford props for making that Star Wars dialog seem vaguely comprehensible.

I think all the actors in Star Wars did a brilliant job. Lucas owes each of them a billion dollars.
   423. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM (#4284279)
I can't remember the name, but I like that really cheesy western with Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCaprio that came out in the 90s.

The Quick and the Dead. You forgot the top-billed star, Sharon Stone.
   424. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM (#4284280)

The Quick and the Dead.

Sam Raimi.

[edit] whatever sort of carbonated beverage they drink up there to Rants

Plus: Gene Hackman!
   425. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM (#4284281)

And Gene Hackman! Directed by Sam Raimi, right? I remember not liking it at the time, but I wonder what it would be like to see it now.

edit: cokes and ####
   426. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM (#4284282)

Poor Gene Hackman... he never seems to get the respect he deserves.

EDIT: Dammit, cokes, cokes, and more cokes..
   427. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM (#4284283)
I remember not liking it at the time, but I wonder what it would be like to see it now.

I'm pretty confident it would still be an atrocity of a film.
   428. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM (#4284284)

He was building a house!
   429. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM (#4284285)

Hey, I was plugging French Connection last page.
   430. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM (#4284286)
Is this an actual film, or a script you have in development?

An actual film I saw on Cable last month.

Looking at Wiki it seems there were two endings- an everyone dies ending and the "happy" ending- I saw the everyone dies ending...

It's not a straight remake of Leone, among other things it takes the North/Confed bridge battle scene and mashes it up into a moving MadMax/Roadwarrior style fight between the 3 protagonists- with such fight being, umm, interfered with by the Imperial Japanese Army (who try to shoot/shell everyone)...

431. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM (#4284287)
...and I love Sam Raimi. Just giving us Bruce Campbell alone means he gets forgiven for any cinematic crimes he might commit in the future.
   432. JJ1986 Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM (#4284288)
...and I love Sam Raimi. Just giving us Bruce Campbell alone means he gets forgiven for any cinematic crimes he might commit in the future.

Even after Spider-Man 3?
   433. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM (#4284290)
Even Spider-Man 3?

True or false: The jazz club scene is the dumbest thing ever filmed.
   434. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM (#4284291)

Even Spider-Man 3?

I was going to specifically mention that - but as BBTF tends to enjoy the superhero genre much more than I, I won't pretend to understand what's a good superhero movie and what's not. Personally, there's not a single superhero film I actually like... and that includes the supposedly great ones.

But yes, on a personal level - I forgive him for that.
   435. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM (#4284294)

Bruce Campbell playing "Bruce Campbell" in My Name is Bruce is just awesome - right up there with William Shatner playing "Bill Shatner" in Free Enterprise
   436. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:38 PM (#4284296)
Bruce Campbell playing "Bruce Campbell" in My Name is Bruce is just awesome - right up there with William Shatner playing "Bill Shatner" in Free Enterprise

I was a big fan of Briscoe County Jr. back in the day when I'd never even heard of Evil Dead.
   437. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM (#4284297)
I actually prefer the Quick and the Dead to Unforgiven.
   438. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:41 PM (#4284301)

Not as long as "Slumdog Millionaire" exists.
Thirty years ago, my brother hit me with a Louisville Slugger. And now I know all about Pete Browning!
   439. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM (#4284302)
Ooohhh... close... I think I'd probably still take Heat, but mostly because I remember the Ewoks/Jedi and went into Phantom Menace expecting that Lucas would be more likely to be doing Ewoks than Empire.

Yeah, frankly my perspective is more or less the same, which is why The Phantom Menace isn't *my* most disappointing film, only the film that I think is the *most* disappointing ever.

My own personal most disappointing film is probably The Thin Red Line. HUGE Malick fan (Days of Heaven is top-50 for me, maybe top-25), Pacific War geek. Crazy excitement to see it.

Just a crushing disappointment.
   440. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM (#4284303)

Indeed... I liked Being John Malkovich quite a bit, but actually - so far as those breaking down the 4th wall films go, I might like My Name is Bruce even better.

The worst of that lot is the excrement that was whichever Ocean's sequel has Julia Roberts' character pretending to be "Julia Roberts"... I won't even bother trying to remember whether it was 12 or 13, because that's another set of sequels on par with the two Matrix follow-ups that really, really just should not exist.
   441. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4284304)
Not as long as "Slumdog Millionaire" exists.

Ooooh, now there's a film I can work up a good, seething loathing for.
   442. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4284305)

High five. Also my favorite movie of all time.

On the other hand, it did give us that hilarious youtube review of it. The only movie review I've watched more than once!

The Red Letter Media reviews?

I don't even think it's the dumbest thing in that movie, which to me goes to Spider-Man landing on a roof with an American flag billowing dramatically in the background. I laughed out loud in the theater at the ridiculousness of it.
   443. Langer Monk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM (#4284306)
Geez, not a single mention of Kristen Bell earlier? And TV for scenery - Gilmore Girls.
   444. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM (#4284307)

I don't even think it's the dumbest thing in that movie, which to me goes to Spider-Man landing on a roof with an American flag billowing dramatically in the background. I laughed out loud in the theater at the ridiculousness of it.

You think Raimi was purposefully trying to kill the franchise?

The Red Letter Media reviews?

I think so, yeah.
   445. Lassus Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM (#4284310)
Love Drive.
American Beauty is pretentious drivel

Calling American Beauty pretentious as if Drive wasn't is nonsensical. Drive was the fantastical quiet/violent/emo fantasy of every wannabe suburban suit that ever lived.

446. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM (#4284311)
Some other random thoughts from reading the past couple pages...

I really liked Unforgiven and I'm not much of one for Westerns.

I took a film class in college in about 2004 and the professor hated, hated, hated Gladiator. He trashed it every chance he got.

The weirdest omission from the AV Club's list is The Silence of the Lambs. I don't understand how that movie could not be in the top 10 of the 90's, let alone not mentioned at all.

I enjoyed American Beauty well enough, mainly due to Spacey's performance, but I have no desire to ever watch it again.
   447. JJ1986 Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM (#4284312)
Geez, not a single mention of Kristen Bell earlier?

I think she's too perfect as Veronica Mars. She's not nearly as good anytime she's playing anything else.
   448. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM (#4284314)
Hey nerds, if you haven't seen Slither yet, it's on Netflix instant. It's up there with Pee Wee's Big Adventure as movies I went to see expecting nothing and was blown away with how good it was.
   449. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM (#4284316)
The weirdest omission from the AV Club's list is The Silence of the Lambs. I don't understand how that movie could not be in the top 10 of the 90's, let alone not mentioned at all.

Before Sunrise is another weird omission from the list.
   450. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM (#4284320)
Kristen Bell

I find she has very beady eyes, but I'll concede she can be cute.
   451. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM (#4284322)

I hate when movies just try too damn hard.
I had the same reaction to the President's Big Speech in "Independence Day," and the big courtroom blowup in "A Few Good Men."
At least with the latter, a few other people started laughing too. ONE OF US!
   452. Lassus Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM (#4284324)
I'm not sure if it's the character she plays or what, but I'm often surprised that Anna Torv isn't mentioned in more of these threads.
   453. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM (#4284325)
Regarding Godfather 3- obviously the movie just did not work- but upon re-watching I realized that there were bits and pieces that did- most stuff that had Pacino in it worked- except with Sofia Coppola- stuff between Any Garcia and Pacino worked, but scenes without Pacino didn't- the early scene where Garcia takes down the two burglars *should have* worked, but did not... aggravating movie.

GFIII obviously isn't remotely in the class of the first two, but some things about it worked. I liked the Immobilare story line, the insinuation that JPI was offed by the Mob and -- how this escapes notice puzzles -- the saga of Michael Corleone ends exactly how it should end, with him old, destitute, and alone in the cold on the chair, back in Sicily, his father's once-promising quest to make it big in America a dismal failure.
   454. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:03 PM (#4284327)
Also, "Heat" was a huge disappointment: DeNiro and Pacino - two great, physical actors - finally get a chance to play off one another... and they're onscreen together twice. First, sitting down at a diner, mostly shown in alternating shots over each other's shoulders, so we almost never see them listening, reacting, etc. (made me wonder if they were even on set at the same time). And then a big shootout at the end. Annnnnd... that's it. Pleh.
   455. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:03 PM (#4284328)
Hey nerds, if you haven't seen Slither yet, it's on Netflix instant. It's up there with Pee Wee's Big Adventure as movies I went to see expecting nothing and was blown away with how good it was.

Another fun horror-ish movie starring a Firefly alum available on Netflix instant is Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.
   456. andrewberg Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:05 PM (#4284330)

High five. Also my favorite movie of all time.

Me 3. My dog is named Walter.
   457. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:06 PM (#4284332)
I turned on the Red Letter review of Phantom Menace. I don't think I'll ever cease to be amused by it.
   458. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:07 PM (#4284334)
I turned on the Red Letter review of Phantom Menace. I don't think I'll ever cease to be amused by it.

What's wrong with your faaaaaaaaaaaaace?

[edit] What amuses me is that even at a 1/2 hour, Plinkett's really not even come close to exhausting the list of things that are terribly wrong with Episode I; he could have doubled his running time and still not have been padding things.
   459. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:09 PM (#4284335)
What's wrong with your faaaaaaaaaaaaace?

Ha! That stuff is fine, but it's actually the spot on criticism that makes me giggle. It's such a terrible movie.
   460. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:09 PM (#4284336)

Have you watched the other two? They're just as funny, and also longer somehow.
   461. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:10 PM (#4284337)

Never bet against Nathan Fillion...
   462. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:11 PM (#4284338)
Have you watched the other two? They're just as funny, and also longer somehow.

I have. And the Crystal Skull one, though I was smart enough not to go see Crystal Skull.
   463. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:13 PM (#4284340)
Hey you Lebowski nerds, my friend wrote this which I will plug for him.

Very funny and well done.
   464. villageidiom Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:20 PM (#4284346)
For re-watching though not much beats Jaws. Any time I see it on TV I have to watch the rest of the movie.
mrsidiom bought it for me on DVD to discourage me from doing the same thing.
   465. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:24 PM (#4284350)
Red Letter - I get the need for the subplots to break things up, but they don't work for me at all. The rest is great.

Add me to the list of people unimpressed with Heat.

Drive was the fantastical quiet/violent/emo fantasy of every wannabe suburban suit that ever lived.

I'm not sure that we saw the same movie - there's very little wish fufillment going on in that flick (spolier not mentioned).

Poor Gene Hackman

Hmmmm? Everybody loves Gene Hackman...

I don't feel the need to pick between Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas - they're both tremendous.
   466. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:26 PM (#4284351)
Bourbon, that is awesome, hopefully the production will make it my way someday. "Jacques" Treehorn...... love it.
   467. Voros McCracken of Pinkus Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:30 PM (#4284355)
Just giving us Bruce Campbell alone means he gets forgiven for any cinematic crimes he might commit in the future.

Bruce Campbell is god. My Name is Bruce is a very cheezy movie, but I love that he portrayed himself as a drunken, washed-up jerk.
   468. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:36 PM (#4284364)
Bruce Campbell is god. My Name is Bruce is a very cheezy movie, but I love that he portrayed himself as a drunken, washed-up jerk

His turn in Bubba Ho-Tep as the elderly Elvis, growing old alone incognito in a Texas nursing home, who has to join forces with John F. Kennedy (played by Ozzie Davis) to battle a soul-stealing Egyptian Mummy is another great performance in a fun horror/comedy. Not as good as Evil II, but a nice little cult film.
   469. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:39 PM (#4284366)
His turn in Bubba Ho-Tep as the elderly Elvis, growing old alone incognito in a Texas nursing home, who has to join forces with John F. Kennedy (played by Ozzie Davis) to battle a soul-stealing Egyptian Mummy is another great performance in a fun horror/comedy. Not as good as Evil II, but a nice little cult film.

Bubba Ho-Tep is wonderful stuff... It's one of those movies I'd say belongs on the list of "Best Movies No One Has Ever Heard Of" -- but then, every time it comes up, I find most people have heard of, if not seen it.
   470. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:39 PM (#4284367)
I'm not sure that we saw the same movie - there's very little wish fufillment going on in that flick (spolier not mentioned).

At its core, Drive was an unironic homage to the hero, in very welcome opposition to its times, with their relentless irony. Even heroism can't be taken on without a winking eye, but only in its "super" form.

It also featured a cast including Carey Mulligan, Albert Brooks, Ron Perelman, and Bryan Cranston -- each a great actor -- from whom the director coaxed outstanding work.
   471. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:47 PM (#4284374)
Albert Brooks creeped the hell of me in that, I'd never seen him play anything like that sort of character before.
   472. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:47 PM (#4284375)
I remember there was/are re-edits that break II into two separate movies and I very much prefer the flashback to the 'present day' stuff to the point that I skip the Michael/Pacino stuff.

Actually, there was a "TV edit" of Godfather and Godfather II that merges the two films into one very long film (shown over two nights) that supposedly rearranges a few of the flashback scenes. It ran sometime in the 80s, but hasn't been seen since.
   473. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:50 PM (#4284376)
All the Star Wars movies are crap with the exception of "The Empire Strikes Back". That Lucas has made it this far being the hack director that he is must rank up there as one of the great achievements of all time.

Also "Heat" for the bank shootout alone is 20 time better than any of the prequels.
   474. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:52 PM (#4284378)

It's probably the most overlooked "great" movie of all time.

For a movie with the awards (only third one to win the big 5 (movie, director, screenplay, actor, actress)), the pop cultural references (Lecter is a legendary villain), and box office punch (#4 for 1991, and it was released in February), it always seems to get overlooked from people's "best of" lists (either all time or even 1990s).

475. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:53 PM (#4284379)
All the Star Wars movies are crap with the exception of "The Empire Strikes Back". That Lucas has made it this far being the hack director that he is must rank up there as one of the great achievements of all time.

Well, there was that Raiders thing, too... but I can understand how people forget after the Alien Skull Crystalizing Communists or whatever.
   476. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:55 PM (#4284381)

For a movie with the awards (only third one to win the big 5 (movie, director, screenplay, actor, actress)), the pop cultural references (Lecter is a legendary villain), and box office punch (#4 for 1991, and it was released in February), it always seems to get overlooked from people's "best of" lists (either all time or even 1990s).

I think it's a victim of timing -- I honestly would consider it for my top 10 of the 90s, but for some reason, I thought it was from '89.
   477. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:55 PM (#4284382)
Bubba Ho-Tep - saw it in the theatre. Good, but I was actually a little disappointed - it had a lot of buildup.

It also featured a cast including Carey Mulligan, Albert Brooks, Ron Perlman, and Bryan Cranston -- each a great actor -- from whom the director coaxed outstanding work.

Yup.
   478. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:56 PM (#4284387)
Greedo shooting first in the Canbtina? WTF?

He always did, you were just confused.
   479. hokieneer Posted: October 26, 2012 at 01:57 PM (#4284388)
Bubba Ho-Tep is wonderful stuff... It's one of those movies I'd say belongs on the list of "Best Movies No One Has Ever Heard Of" -- but then, every time it comes up, I find most people have heard of, if not seen it.

I had never heard of it. I'll have to check it out

I think so as well. It's on my short list of best 90s. I will stop and watch it anytime I see it on tv.
   480. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:00 PM (#4284393)
Well, there was that Raiders thing, too... but I can understand how people forget after the Alien Skull Crystalizing Communists or whatever.

That was Spielberg. And Lucas apparently had a much bigger role in the fourth movie, so...
   481. hokieneer Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:00 PM (#4284395)
2 other movies that no one is going to confuse with being "an all time great" that have not been mentioned, but passes the "stop and watch on cable at the drop of a hat" test: Tombstone & Friday. Well that is if you can catch an non-butchered version of Friday.
   482. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:13 PM (#4284402)
Kurt Russell is sort of the Don Sutton of actors... It's awfully hard to see how you deny him the HoF because he's just been so good for so long, but it's awfully hard to identify a 'peak' where he was anything near the best actor going.

I mean, Snake Pliskin is one of favorite movie characters of all-time, but I wouldn't try to argue its "greatness".
   483. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:14 PM (#4284403)
"Tombstone" is amazing in that you can tell that its trying to tell 2 separate stories because of the firing of the director midway through and yet they somehow ended up with a really entertaining movie.
   484. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:14 PM (#4284404)
That was Spielberg. And Lucas apparently had a much bigger role in the fourth movie, so...

The notes from the story conference that Spielberg, Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan had while developing Indiana Jones are, well, interesting

G — I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

L — And he was forty-two.

G — He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.

S — She had better be older than twenty-two.

G — He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

S — And promiscuous. She came onto him.

G — Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...

S — She has pictures of him.

And here's how the scene plays out in Raiders

INDY: I never meant to hurt you.
MARION: I was a child! I was in love.
INDY: You knew what you were doing.
MARION: It was wrong. You knew it.
INDY: Look, I did what I did. I don't expect you to be happy about it. But maybe we can do each other some good.

485. zonk Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:15 PM (#4284405)
"Tombstone" is amazing in that you can tell that its trying to tell 2 separate stories because of the firing of the director midway through and yet they somehow ended up with a really entertaining movie.

A testament to Russell and what an inspired Val Kilmer can do...
   486. JJ1986 Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:17 PM (#4284406)
Speaking of Val Kilmer, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is definitely one of my top 10 all time movies.
   487. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:29 PM (#4284413)

I've posted this before, but about a year or two ago I saw both THX 1138, American Graffiti and Star Wars (the original) and Ep ii (enter the clones?) same weekend, and obviously I've seen all the Star Wars movies (BTW Lucas did NOT direct Empire Strikes Back- the best of the lot- which among other things is why a rather large volume of unscripted ad libs were allowed in...)

and I was convinced that Lucas did not direct American Graffiti- oh he worked on it- and the first draft if the script was his... I'm guessing that Wexler took over much of the directing work- or possibly even Coppola depending upon how much he was around- but probably Wexler, that film didn't need three cinematographers around
   488. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:34 PM (#4284417)
(BTW Lucas did NOT direct Empire Strikes Back- the best of the lot- which among other things is why a rather large volume of unscripted ad libs were allowed in...)

Nor was he primarily responsible for the screenplay, that was Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan.
   489. JJ1986 Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:34 PM (#4284418)
I'm guessing that Wexler took over much of the directing work- or possibly even Coppola depending upon how much he was around

My money would be on Ron Howard.
   490. Rennie's Tenet Posted: October 26, 2012 at 02:41 PM (#4284421)

Most of Part I and the flashback portions of II were adapted from Puzo's novel, while the Hyman Roth story line was original screenplay for GF II.

I don't really see how Forrest Gump can make any worst lists. The Lieutenant Dan story line alone should lift it above merely tedious films for most people. I also don't see how a list of top (guy-centric) 90s films doesn't include Donnie Brasco. It's the only crime film since the first two Godfathers that doesn't lose it's punch by the end of two hours.

The Academy's honored a few I can't even identify in recent years, but before about 1990 I think Kramer v. Kramer is almost objectively the worst Best Picture ever chosen. As trapped in the 70s as Saturday Night Fever, but without the entertainment value.
   491. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: October 26, 2012 at 03:06 PM (#4284435)
####, how am I so late to the movie discussion?

Drive was the best movie of last year, though I could make cases for The Tree of Life or A Separation as well. The awesome thing about Drive for me, though, is that it didn't just lead me to some awesome music - as other directors such as Scorsese and Tarantino have done - it fostered my obsession with 80s (and 80s-influenced) electronic music in general, as well as the record label Italians Do It Better (who have two tracks on the soundtrack - "Tick of the Clock" by Chromatics, which plays during the opening heist, and "Under Your Spell" by Desire, which plays during a couple of Carey Mulligan's encounters with Ryan Gosling). Kill for Love and Night Drive by Chromatics are two of my favorite albums in a long time.

GoodFellas is better than Pulp Fiction. Both are near and dear to my heart, but I've simply seen Pulp Fiction too many times to be all that taken with it anymore. One thing that I think hurts Pulp Fiction more than any imitators and offshoots it may have spawned is seeing how much more advanced Tarantino's technique as a director has become in his subsequent films. He's simply a much more capable storyteller, cinematographer, et al than he was back in the day. Inglorious Basterds is probably his best film on the merits (though my favorite is Kill Bill), and Django Unchained looks like it will be the best film of the year*.

(*So far that honor goes to Killer Joe, which I can't gush about enough. Imagine William Faulkner and the Coen Bros. collaborated and the resulting screenplay was cranked up to 11 and given the William Friedkin treatment, and you've basically got Killer Joe. It's totally depraved and somehow totally hilarious despite being overwhelmingly ugly and misanthropic.)

Neither of these is the best movie of the 90s, though. That honor goes to Satantango. If you can stomach the idea of watching a 7.5-hour-long black-and-white Hungarian film about dirt-poor farmers scheming and stabbing each other in the back and living like scoundrels, I can't recommend it enough. If that all makes it sound like the most miserablist slog through arthouse pretension ever, rest assured that it's also a very very black comedy. Though yes, it is monstrously affecting and contains probably the most harrowing and depressing sequence in any film I've ever seen. It's also probably the best film I've ever seen. Yeah, I'm a snob...in my defense, I'll also go to the mat for Titanic as a legitimately great film, so I'm not completely stuffy.
   492. JJ1986 Posted: October 26, 2012 at 03:17 PM (#4284440)
I couldn't make it through Werckmeister Harmonies, so I've never considered trying Satantango. Does it have the same pacing or is it faster-moving?
   493. Rants Mulliniks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 03:26 PM (#4284446)
I liked Tree of Life a lot.
   494. billyshears Posted: October 26, 2012 at 03:27 PM (#4284447)
Any list of the best movies of the 90s that doesn't include Twelve Monkeys is wrong.
   495. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: October 26, 2012 at 03:28 PM (#4284448)
Werckmeister Harmonies is, if anything, quicker than Satantango (or his latest, The Turin Horse), so yeah, Tarr probably isn't for you.
   496. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 03:28 PM (#4284449)

Bruce Campbell is god. My Name is Bruce is a very cheezy movie, but I love that he portrayed himself as a drunken, washed-up jerk

Met him, as cool in person as you would expect. I recommend highly his autobiography, If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B-Movie Actor.
   497. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 26, 2012 at 03:36 PM (#4284453)
The Academy's honored a few I can't even identify in recent years, but before about 1990 I think Kramer v. Kramer is almost objectively the worst Best Picture ever chosen.

For pre-1990, I'm going to say "Ordinary People".
   498. Rennie's Tenet Posted: October 26, 2012 at 03:51 PM (#4284466)

For pre-1990, I'm going to say "Ordinary People".

Yeah, a plausible choice. The Academy really got maudlin for a couple of years there.
   499. OsunaSakata Posted: October 26, 2012 at 04:11 PM (#4284477)
I think that Marg Helgenberger and Gillian Anderson are very attractive (as those shows portray them, enhanced by Helgenberger's character's apparent license to wear bizarrely form-fitting and skimpy clothing to her job).

I'm about the same age as Marge. In the last few years I saw a girl I dated in college and I realized she was looking like Marg. Actually, when she was in college, she looked a lot better than young Marg. So it helped my self-esteem to realize I dated someone in Marg's league.

I also thought Jennifer Aniston wasn't so hot. I was surprised Brad Pitt married her. She's a step down from Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie.

I realized as I got older that I liked celebrity women that bore a resemblance to someone I dated. So my evaluation about whether I thought I had a chance with them actually morphed into my tastes. Given that I've never dated any girl who looked like Kate Upton, if I saw her on the street, dressed like she was in the video game commercial, I would forget I saw her once she was out of sight.

What's the deal with Pippa Middleton? Why is she "The Royal Hottie"? She's attractive enough for an ordinary person, but not as a global sex symbol.
   500. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 26, 2012 at 04:30 PM (#4284498)
What's the deal with Pippa Middleton? Why is she "The Royal Hottie"? She's attractive enough for an ordinary person, but not as a global sex symbol.

I think she's okay, but her sister Kate blows her out of the water.
I think Pippa looked very good on the wedding day, and that was probably the first time anyone really paid even a small amount of attention to her.

I also thought Jennifer Aniston wasn't so hot. I was surprised Brad Pitt married her. She's a step down from Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie.

Young Jennifer Aniston (first couple of seasons of "Friends") was amazing looking (though the wardrobe helped). After that, she sort of aged into "very nice looking".
Gwyneth has definitely aged VERY well (she looks great in the Iron Man movies), while Jolie is just a little too "exotic" for my tastes. I understand what everyone else likes, but there is something that is just "off" for me.
Page 5 of 9 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Jim Wisinski
for his generous support.