Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Freep: Tigers’ Justin Verlander neither confirms nor denies he’s dating Kate Upton

People shriek on the streets of Michigan when they see Verlander in person. He can’t stop at a gas pump or go grocery shopping. Everyone knows where he lives in the off-season (Troy), what he eats the night before he pitches (Taco Bell, for three crunchy Taco Supremes, a Cheesy Gordita Crunch and a Mexican Pizza, hold the tomatoes) and where he grabs his morning coffee.

Justin Verlander: wins Cy Youngs, dates supermodels, eats crap.

eddieot Posted: October 24, 2012 at 01:34 PM | 868 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: giants, tigers, verlander, world series

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 6 of 9 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›
   501. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 04:31 PM (#4284500)
What's the deal with Pippa Middleton? Why is she "The Royal Hottie"? She's attractive enough for an ordinary person, but not as a global sex symbol.

She's got huuuuuge tracts of land?
   502. andrewberg Posted: October 26, 2012 at 04:45 PM (#4284510)
And didnt Ordinary People win over Raging Bull? That makes it seem even worse by comparison.
   503. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: October 26, 2012 at 04:51 PM (#4284517)
I thought the Nevada/Miami/Cuba part of II was ridiculous, nonsensical and painful to watch. Michael's behavior is literally unbelievable.

Michael's behavior is borderline sociopathic, but not at all unbelievable, in fact IMHO it's the closest those movies came to actual gangster/mafia behvior
   504. Ron J2 Posted: October 26, 2012 at 05:05 PM (#4284531)
Regarding mismatches, I'm no Julia Roberts fan, but the gap between her and Lyle Lovett is an all-timer.

Shania Twain, Mutt Lange
   505. Ron J2 Posted: October 26, 2012 at 05:07 PM (#4284532)
No minority women listed?

Let us not forget:

Vanity? Circa 52 pickup.
   506. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: October 26, 2012 at 05:07 PM (#4284533)
"Tombstone" is amazing in that you can tell that its trying to tell 2 separate stories because of the firing of the director midway through and yet they somehow ended up with a really entertaining movie.

A testament to Russell and what an inspired Val Kilmer can do...

As compared to an what an uninspired actor like Marlo Brando can do to a movie such as "Island of Dr. Moreau".
   507. hokieneer Posted: October 26, 2012 at 05:09 PM (#4284536)
Michael's behavior is borderline sociopathic, but not at all unbelievable, in fact IMHO it's the closest those movies came to actual gangster/mafia behvior

He was damn terrifying by the end of GF2. I can still remember the chills I got during the "It was an abortion" scene.

I enjoyed the DeNiro flashbacks in II more than the "current" story (seems that's the groputhink so far). But I still think the further and final corruption of Michael into the lonely, cold, but powerful man trapped by his father's image and legacy is a compelling story that's narrated in very believable and gripping manner.
   508. Rennie's Tenet Posted: October 26, 2012 at 05:10 PM (#4284537)
And didnt Ordinary People win over Raging Bull? That makes it seem even worse by comparison

Yup.
   509. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 26, 2012 at 05:10 PM (#4284539)
No minority women listed?

For starters: Iman (who is blazing), Grace Jones, Halle, Jada Pinkett.
   510. Tuque Posted: October 26, 2012 at 05:16 PM (#4284543)
What's the deal with Pippa Middleton?

Oh...Pippa.
   511. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 05:21 PM (#4284551)
As compared to an what an uninspired actor like Marlo Brando can do to a movie such as "Island of Dr. Moreau".

Oh, I disagree, Brando's performance was totally inspired.

I just couldn't tell you by what.

Brando's not really the primary problem though, that whole movie's a hot mess and pretty much trainwrecks completely after Moreau is killed.

Great scene for Kilmer where he mocks Brando's acting to his face and the world, though.

[edit] And that's a shoot I'd love to hear all the stories and gossip about.
   512. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 26, 2012 at 05:30 PM (#4284555)
Pam Grier.

My picks for induction to the Gordie Howe Club (alphabetical order):
Maud Adams.
Pam Grier.
Jessica Lange.
Meryl Streep.
Sigourney Weaver.

Or some random 22-year-old, I guess... never thought much of Emma Watson until I saw a picture of her playing field hockey. I like the jock-gals.
   513. Lassus Posted: October 26, 2012 at 05:55 PM (#4284573)
Drive was the best movie of last year, though I could make cases for The Tree of Life or A Separation as well. The awesome thing about Drive for me, though, is that it didn't just lead me to some awesome music - as other directors such as Scorsese and Tarantino have done - it fostered my obsession with 80s (and 80s-influenced) electronic music in general, as well as the record label Italians Do It Better (who have two tracks on the soundtrack - "Tick of the Clock" by Chromatics, which plays during the opening heist, and "Under Your Spell" by Desire, which plays during a couple of Carey Mulligan's encounters with Ryan Gosling). Kill for Love and Night Drive by Chromatics are two of my favorite albums in a long time.

I'm catching up, and I'll get into why I think the film is NOT good when I do, but it can't be a hip soundtrack and nostalgia that makes it the best movie of the year. What does? What's the argument?

Also, I thought Tree of Life was excellent. Not a perfect 10 of a film for what it was going for, but damned good, and the acting was absolutely brilliant.

Lastly, the best film of the 90s was Mulholland Drive. Yes, I know it came out in 2001.
   514. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: October 26, 2012 at 06:10 PM (#4284588)
I don't like Carey Mulligan in "Drive". She is a little too "mousy" for me.
   515. jobu Posted: October 26, 2012 at 06:11 PM (#4284591)
I'm not sure if it's the character she plays or what, but I'm often surprised that Anna Torv isn't mentioned in more of these threads.

The character (Olivia on "Fringe") is awesome--strong, brave, intelligent, vulnerable. I think the nature of the role is that she doesn't smile much, but when she does, it lights up the screen. I think this is a great add to the consideration set. She's beautiful and also sui generis.

Kate Middleton's stock no doubt went down a little bit with those unfortunate (on many levels) paparazzi photos.

On the movie front...Val Kilmer has had a remarkable career beyond "The Island of Dr Moreau." He's not the superstar one might have expected from "Real Genius," and he seems to drop off the radar now and then, but in reality, he's worked nearly constantly, and he's had some great roles along the way: Iceman, Jim Morrison, Doc Holiday, John Holmes, Batman, his characters in "The Salton Sea" and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," etc. Some unfortunate choices like Dieter Von ##### and his character in "At First Sight."
   516. billyshears Posted: October 26, 2012 at 06:15 PM (#4284594)
Also, I thought Tree of Life was excellent. Not a perfect 10 of a film for what it was going for, but damned good, and the acting was absolutely brilliant.

Man, I hate this movie so hard.
   517. Lassus Posted: October 26, 2012 at 06:16 PM (#4284596)
I'm going out, so I can't do my dissertation on Drive yet. I know you're all very upset. But when I get back, I'll try and explain why I personally found Drive to be hipstery and annoying while having very little narrative value.
   518. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: October 26, 2012 at 06:20 PM (#4284597)
Regarding mismatches, I'm no Julia Roberts fan, but the gap between her and Lyle Lovett is an all-timer.

Christina Hendricks and Geoffrey Arend (aka Snozzberries guy in Super Troopers).

Oh...Pippa.

A fellow Bugle listener, I presume.
   519. jobu Posted: October 26, 2012 at 06:26 PM (#4284598)
   520. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: October 26, 2012 at 06:55 PM (#4284627)
Good lord that is a sad list.

Also Val Kilmer was excellent in Thunderheart.
   521. McCoy Posted: October 26, 2012 at 06:58 PM (#4284631)
Most of the guys on that list aren't really ugly. Most simply aren't Hollywood heartthrobs though that doesn't mean they are ugly.
   522. hokieneer Posted: October 26, 2012 at 07:03 PM (#4284639)
When I see links like #519, I'm convinced there is a secret women council meeting where a few are chosen or volunteered to make a sacrifice and date men 3-4 integers below them as another form of control over the male population. 16 year old math club president Jimmy sees the stoner from supertroopers land hendricks and he's much more likely to do the cheerleaders hw. So you're saying there's a chance!
   523. madvillain Posted: October 26, 2012 at 07:13 PM (#4284649)

I'm going out, so I can't do my dissertation on Drive yet. I know you're all very upset. But when I get back, I'll try and explain why I personally found Drive to be hipstery and annoying while having very little narrative value.

Tree of Life
makes Drive look like a Faulker novel.
   524. Voros McCracken of Pinkus Posted: October 26, 2012 at 07:28 PM (#4284658)

Here's Susanna Hoffs at 53 years old:

Susanna Hoffs
   525. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: October 26, 2012 at 07:31 PM (#4284660)
I'm catching up, and I'll get into why I think the film is NOT good when I do, but it can't be a hip soundtrack and nostalgia that makes it the best movie of the year. What does? What's the argument?

That was more of an aside/bonus than anything, though style does go a long way with me and Drive's aesthetic is pretty much perfect. But one of the things that makes its aesthetic perfect is how it complements the narrative. It's an ultra-pristine portrayal of a very violent, disturbed man with whom we're initially asked to identify. Driver starts out appearing to be another in a long line of silent loner/badasses, but his behavior is a lot more erratic and disturbed as the film progresses, and it becomes more apparent that he's not a hero but a ######-up individual with hero aspirations. He puts on a hero's costume, inserts himself into situations where he's forced to act and releases violent impulses with stunning skill and ease. (I've seen plenty of talk on Drive's most obvious influence - Walter Hill's The Driver - but very little of what, to me, is the biggest character influence for Gosling: Shane.) His weirdly detached demeanor towards even the ostensible love interest goes from "stoic" to "antisocial." One of the best descriptions of his character I've read was as a grown-up version of David from A.I. Artificial Intelligence - somebody trying to act human, but with an uncanny valley effect at work that makes the whole effort futile. Instead, he's just creepy. Gosling fits the character like a glove - he's as handsome as they come, but like the film, the sheen of his appearance is masking something a lot uglier beneath the surface. It's why those unflinching bursts of brutality come as such a shock.

This may not all carry that much weight with you, but for what it tried to do - which, as a crime film junkie, I happened to love - it does so just about perfectly.

Lastly, the best film of the 90s was Mulholland Drive. Yes, I know it came out in 2001.

In my top five ever.
   526. phredbird Posted: October 26, 2012 at 07:34 PM (#4284661)
Actually, there was a "TV edit" of Godfather and Godfather II that merges the two films into one very long film (shown over two nights) that supposedly rearranges a few of the flashback scenes. It ran sometime in the 80s, but hasn't been seen since.

i think i've seen this. its actually cut up into 5 1-hour segments with little 'did you knows' added to the start of the commercial breaks that give behind the scenes stuff about the making of the movies.
   527. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 26, 2012 at 07:48 PM (#4284665)
Here's Susanna Hoffs at 53 years old:

Susanna Hoffs

Not really my type, though I suspect somehow that she's much more attractive in person than in the music videos.

EDIT: redacted. TMI, NVM.
   528. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: October 26, 2012 at 08:12 PM (#4284674)
since this is apparently an entertainment thread, here's a few thoughts i have on my current viewings:

the walking dead is actually good so far. season 2 was pretty awful, and i completely gave up on it 2 or 3 episodes short of the finale. i wasn't planning on watching this year, either, but since the DVR still had it on auto-record, i watched the first two episodes. and as i said, they were actually good.

revolution: it's not good, and the female lead is awful, but it has an interesting premise, and now that they revealed the 12 keys for restoring power to the world, it also has a purpose. that's usually enough to keep my interest in any sci-fi, and this is no different. i don't really like the show, but there's enough there for me to keep watching.

revenge: again, not a good show, but kind of a guilty pleasure.

american horror story: see revenge

fringe: i was really looking forward to this season, but it's fallen flat so far. the first few episodes have been a glorified scavenger hunt, and i was really hoping to see more of the "evil" walter.

more later...maybe.
   529. Rennie's Tenet Posted: October 26, 2012 at 08:19 PM (#4284679)
Actually, there was a "TV edit" of Godfather and Godfather II that merges the two films into one very long film (shown over two nights) that supposedly rearranges a few of the flashback scenes.

This is usually called, "The Godfather Saga," and it's been run by AMC this year:

The Godfather Saga

Good chance it'll show up on there during the holidays sometime. I think I've heard that there might be a DVD version in the works -- there was a VHS years ago.
   530. McCoy Posted: October 26, 2012 at 08:20 PM (#4284680)
TWD has been very good so far that is mostly because they have had very little time to stop and do character driven plots. I think we all know those are coming and when they do the show might just fall apart. They can't spend the next 8 episodes clearing wards in the prison and even if somehow they did it would still get boring. As an aside I've found the current editions of the comic books to be pretty bad. I have almost no desire to read them anymore. I kind of get the feeling the comic book series is still around because it is now a TV show.

Copper: Absolutely horrible show. Watched something like the first 3 episodes and have dropped. Does period horribly. Does procedurals horribly. Does acting horribly. Does plot horribly.

Boardwalk Empire seems a bit rudderless. For the life of me I can't figure out what the major arc is for this season.

531. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 08:50 PM (#4284693)
Boardwalk Empire seems a bit rudderless. For the life of me I can't figure out what the major arc is for this season.

Seems to me like Nucky found himself in a real dilly of a pickle. His sole source of revenue is being threatened on multiple fronts, with Gyp Rosetti and Arnold Rothstein coordinating to cut Nucky out entirely. His wife, who it should be remembered screwed Nucky out of a literal fortune in the New Jersey highway deal, is back screwing Nucky's first lieutenant. The Feds still want a piece of him, and the DA basically told Nucky the gig was up. He's so desperate for competent help he's forced to rely on Mickey F'n Doyle, and his most competent associate, Eli, just happened to betray Nucky previously and tried to have him killed.

Nucky's never been in a weaker position before.
   532. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:01 PM (#4284696)
Maud Adams.
Pam Grier.
Jessica Lange.
Meryl Streep.
Sigourney Weaver.

How any list of silver foxes wouldn't include the absolutely stunning Helen Mirren (she's 67) is beyond me. That bikini photo from when she was 63...crikey.
   533. puck Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:02 PM (#4284697)
Heat was probably the most disappointing movie of all time...

I think I'm going to nominate The Phantom Menace for that title.

I will also nominate Prometheus.
   534. puck Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:04 PM (#4284698)
How do people have hard time understanding Jude Law as a heart throb? A number of women always like the pretty boys, and he is damn pretty. I think the first movie I saw him in was Wilde--he and Stephen Fry were really good in it.
   535. PreservedFish Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:07 PM (#4284699)
I thought Drive was terrific, but I would have liked it any more if it was entirely stripped of sappiness and had even more driving.
   536. JJ1986 Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:07 PM (#4284700)
I think Law is a good actor with a pretty face, but he has the worst hairline around. He's looked like he's going bald since his twenties.
   537. McCoy Posted: October 26, 2012 at 09:39 PM (#4284713)
Seems to me like Nucky found himself in a real dilly of a pickle. His sole source of revenue is being threatened on multiple fronts, with Gyp Rosetti and Arnold Rothstein coordinating to cut Nucky out entirely. His wife, who it should be remembered screwed Nucky out of a literal fortune in the New Jersey highway deal, is back screwing Nucky's first lieutenant. The Feds still want a piece of him, and the DA basically told Nucky the gig was up. He's so desperate for competent help he's forced to rely on Mickey F'n Doyle, and his most competent associate, Eli, just happened to betray Nucky previously and tried to have him killed.

Nucky's never been in a weaker position before.

Arnold is not trying to cut out Nucky. Arnold sided with Nucky and Arnold tried to have Gyp killed. Gyp has now been chased out of Tabor Heights and the booze is flowing again to NY. The AG is looking for a fall guy but Nucky is enlisting the female prosecutor to his side, still has Harding's baby in the cooler, and now has Means cutting a deal with him. All Nucky has experienced this season is petty annoyances.
   538. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:04 PM (#4284723)
How any list of silver foxes wouldn't include the absolutely stunning Helen Mirren (she's 67) is beyond me. That bikini photo from when she was 63...crikey.

I thought I'd mentioned her already. If I didn't: yes.
   539. madvillain Posted: October 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM (#4284727)
Anyone still watching Revolution? It's alright.
   540. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM (#4284748)
The weirdest omission from the AV Club's list is The Silence of the Lambs. I don't understand how that movie could not be in the top 10 of the 90's, let alone not mentioned at all.

It's probably the most overlooked "great" movie of all time.

For a movie with the awards (only third one to win the big 5 (movie, director, screenplay, actor, actress)), the pop cultural references (Lecter is a legendary villain), and box office punch (#4 for 1991, and it was released in February), it always seems to get overlooked from people's "best of" lists (either all time or even 1990s).

I have Silence in my top-5, and I mention it frequently in these discussions.
   541. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: October 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM (#4284752)
Heat was probably the most disappointing movie of all time...

i was 8 when it came out so i don't really have a feel for its hype at that time, but it's a pretty watchable movie, at least imo.

if i was gonna add a nomination in the "most disappointing movie of all time" category, i'd go with anything michael bay directed after armageddon. before then, he did that, the rock, and bad boys. after, he did pearl harbor, bad boys 2, and the transformers.

Anyone still watching Revolution? It's alright.

as i've said in a few of these thread, the most important aspect of any sci-fi project is to have an interesting premise. if you want something good, it takes a bit more thought, but if you're just looking for something that's watchable, the premise of the show is really all that matters. terra nova wasn't good, but it had an interesting premise. flash forward wasn't good, but it had an interesting premise. it's the same thing with american horror story and the walking dead and, yes, revolution is in this category, too.

on the other end of the spectrum, you have things like "the event" and caprica and commander in chief, that are terrible from the start and have no business being on TV.

and then you have those sci-fi shows that put everything together, and you get greatness. doctor who, battlestar galactica, firefly, daybreak.

542. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:10 AM (#4284769)
if i was gonna add a nomination in the "most disappointing movie of all time" category, i'd go with anything michael bay directed after armageddon. before then, he did that, the rock, and bad boys. after, he did pearl harbor, bad boys 2, and the transformers.

Whoa, we found someone who actually likes Armageddon!
   543. Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:24 AM (#4284772)
I don't know how anyone could have been disappointed with The Transformers. What could you possibly have been expecting that left you disappointed?
   544. Tuque Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:58 AM (#4284786)
What could you possibly have been expecting that left you disappointed?

This is actually a good point. It's an embarrassingly stupid movie, but was anyone really expecting some groundbreaking masterpiece?
   545. Gaelan Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:01 AM (#4284787)
That was more of an aside/bonus than anything, though style does go a long way with me and Drive's aesthetic is pretty much perfect. But one of the things that makes its aesthetic perfect is how it complements the narrative. It's an ultra-pristine portrayal of a very violent, disturbed man with whom we're initially asked to identify. Driver starts out appearing to be another in a long line of silent loner/badasses, but his behavior is a lot more erratic and disturbed as the film progresses, and it becomes more apparent that he's not a hero but a ######-up individual with hero aspirations. He puts on a hero's costume, inserts himself into situations where he's forced to act and releases violent impulses with stunning skill and ease. (I've seen plenty of talk on Drive's most obvious influence - Walter Hill's The Driver - but very little of what, to me, is the biggest character influence for Gosling: Shane.) His weirdly detached demeanor towards even the ostensible love interest goes from "stoic" to "antisocial." One of the best descriptions of his character I've read was as a grown-up version of David from A.I. Artificial Intelligence - somebody trying to act human, but with an uncanny valley effect at work that makes the whole effort futile. Instead, he's just creepy. Gosling fits the character like a glove - he's as handsome as they come, but like the film, the sheen of his appearance is masking something a lot uglier beneath the surface. It's why those unflinching bursts of brutality come as such a shock.

I liked Drive a lot. However, I totally disagree with this analysis. For lack of a better word it's so very bourgeois. There is nothing sociopathic or anti-social in Gosling's character. Or rather, if he is narcissistic, lonely, and violent that isn't mean to be a counterpoint for the way "normal" people are in society, but rather as a reflection of them. Moreover, while I get that he is playing the role of the hero, he nonetheless genuinely tries to do the heroic thing. Once again, the failure here isn't his, but the society he lives in, that perverts the animating impulses of that lie behind heroism. I found his character both interesting and endearing, and not at all repulsive.
   546. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:04 AM (#4284788)
fringe: i was really looking forward to this season, but it's fallen flat so far. the first few episodes have been a glorified scavenger hunt, and i was really hoping to see more of the "evil" walter.
well, walter the evil genius still wasn't quite there -- although he had a great line "we spent 20 years investigating fringe events. it's about time we started causing some of our own" -- but tonight's episode was great. they were still doing the scavenger hunt thing, but there was finally some interaction between the fringe team and observers and the loyalists.

as for the ending, i am never a fan of gratuitous deaths, so it was good to see some fallout in the promo for next week. hopefully this season really starts to pick up steam from here. i am dying to be blown away by the end.
   547. Gaelan Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:08 AM (#4284789)
Albert Brooks creeped the hell of me in that, I'd never seen him play anything like that sort of character before.

This is from the previous page. I can't agree more. I only saw Drive a couple of months ago and I think of the Brooks character almost every single day.

[Edit] Oh, and Crash is a movie so bad that every copy should be destroyed and the memory of its existence erased Stalin-style.
   548. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:31 AM (#4284792)
Whoa, we found someone who actually likes Armageddon!
i am an absolute sucker for disaster/extinction programming. also, the cast has buscemi, thornton, bruce willis was at his best, there was that russian guy.
I don't know how anyone could have been disappointed with The Transformers. What could you possibly have been expecting that left you disappointed?
something that wasn't a complete abortion?

actually, come to think of it, can we change this:
if i was gonna add a nomination in the "most disappointing movie of all time" category, i'd go with anything michael bay directed after armageddon.
to anything with even steven in it? transformers, indiana jones, wall street. my god, has there been anyone involved with more desecrations of beloved franchises than this guy?
   549. Tuque Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:03 AM (#4284796)
my god, has there been anyone involved with more desecrations of beloved franchises than this guy?

Well, the next thing he's going to be in is a Lars Von Trier movie where he apparently has genuine on-screen sex. Which is irrelevant really but...you know, a thing.

Von Trier is such a dweeb.
   550. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 27, 2012 at 07:37 AM (#4284803)
I liked Drive a lot. However, I totally disagree with this analysis. For lack of a better word it's so very bourgeois. There is nothing sociopathic or anti-social in Gosling's character. Or rather, if he is narcissistic, lonely, and violent that isn't mean to be a counterpoint for the way "normal" people are in society, but rather as a reflection of them. Moreover, while I get that he is playing the role of the hero, he nonetheless genuinely tries to do the heroic thing. Once again, the failure here isn't his, but the society he lives in, that perverts the animating impulses of that lie behind heroism. I found his character both interesting and endearing, and not at all repulsive.

Yes. When the soundtrack denominated Driver, "A real human being ... and a real hero," it was being entirely sincere. That kind of thing is so out of step with our time that it inevitably confused.
   551. Greg K Posted: October 27, 2012 at 07:54 AM (#4284806)
For pre-1990, I'm going to say "Ordinary People".

Heh. I was about to say so far our taste in movies are almost identical. But Ordinary People is one of my favourites.
   552. Every Inge Counts Posted: October 27, 2012 at 07:54 AM (#4284807)
Has anyone seen The Master yet? Saw it couple of weeks ago....and I liked it but it might be a movie I have to see more than once.
   553. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: October 27, 2012 at 08:48 AM (#4284816)

For me the key scene in my reading is the elevator standoff between the Driver and the hitman Bernie sends to his apartment. We're treated to the big romantic moment where he takes Irene aside and kisses her in slow-motion, and then disarms the hitman in about five seconds flat...and then proceeds to stomp his face in until it's nothing but a pile of goo and blood has spattered on his face. It's completely brutal, and Irene is understandably horrified. Driver looks over his shoulder in desperation and she stands there gaping at him while the doors close between them. I'm not saying the film's treatment of him is totally ironic, but at the very least, its notions of heroism are completely medieval and out-of-time with a film made in 2011.
   554. Lassus Posted: October 27, 2012 at 09:24 AM (#4284827)

ATTENTION: THIS REVIEW IS SPOILER-HEAVY. DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN DRIVE

Or rather, if he is narcissistic, lonely, and violent that isn't mean to be a counterpoint for the way "normal" people are in society, but rather as a reflection of them. Moreover, while I get that he is playing the role of the hero, he nonetheless genuinely tries to do the heroic thing. Once again, the failure here isn't his, but the society he lives in, that perverts the animating impulses of that lie behind heroism.
I don't think this a good criticism. It is simply fitting the film into your own view of society. It's a review of you, not the film. While I understand a good amount of artistic commentary is like this, what ticks this over into unusable is that it offers opinion as fact: "Society is this. Full Stop. Therefore the film..." I understand this is your writing style, but it works quite a bit into why I didn't find the film much of a commentary on anything at all.

Anyhow, the reasons I didn't like this film are manifold. And despite what was asked on the previous page, I think it IS subconscious wish-fulfillment for the viewer in a ton of ways. a.) The highly-skilled loner expertly executing a masculine pursuit. How does the saying go? Two things every man thinks he is good at, sex and driving? b.) Taking the girl away from an unworthy man, something all boys dream about (hell, all people.) c.) Solving problems with extreme violence, both the protagonist and everyone else. d.) Riding off into the sunset, a misunderstood loner. The film IS Shane, only at least Shane's character was developed. This man stares. No sane person wants their life to be like this, but they imagine it could be. The film is simply popular entertainment, the only insight being that it reveals what a certain type of audience wants to see out of their heroes. That, I can see, is something valuable, but for me it doesn't make for an exceptional film, it makes for a common one in a hipster art-house wrapping. An absolute currently common bloody hipster art-house wrapping.

To this end, cinematically, it leans utterly on cliched characters, which is ultimately why, to me, it fails completely. Nothing at all that Brooks' or Perlman's characters did surprised me in the slightest. Nothing the hard-luck Cranston did either. You could see Irene's boyfriend getting killed in the robbery light-years before it occurs. As soon as Hendricks shows up onscreen, you know she's a redhaired redshirt. Cranston even moreso. Maybe that was the point, I guess, but I didn't see what the point was.

Lastly, why does the Driver wear a mask in that penultimate scene? He doesn't see anyone but who he kills. Perhaps I missed something.

Anyhow. This could have been a better entry but I'm late for work. Ultimately, I just thought the film brought very very little new to the genre of ultra-violent arthouse crime cinema.

555. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: October 27, 2012 at 09:32 AM (#4284831)
Sorry to use this thread for very selfish reasons but my wife and I just watched the first episode of Battlestar Galactica last night and I'm now wondering if I should continue. Don't get me wrong. I didn't dislike it, but it seems like quite a time investment and the first episode didn't exactly pull me in. Maybe it's because the acting was a little wooden. Does the series get a lot better as you go on?
   556. Lassus Posted: October 27, 2012 at 09:36 AM (#4284834)
Yes. The issue for many is when, though. I liked the whole thing because I'm a total nerd, but there are varying opinions on when it picks up for others, if I recall. Keep it up for at least a few more episodes before you decide.
   557. PreservedFish Posted: October 27, 2012 at 09:47 AM (#4284837)
The film IS Shane, only at least Shane's character was developed. This man stares. No sane person wants their life to be like this, but they imagine it could be. The film is simply popular entertainment, the only insight being that it reveals what a certain type of audience wants to see out of their heroes. That, I can see, is something valuable, but for me it doesn't make for an exceptional film, it makes for a common one in a hipster art-house wrapping.

I agree with this. The discussion that Gaelan and Alex are having gives the movie way too much credit. But I liked the wrapping a lot more than you did. I think the wrapping was awesome.
   558. Greg K Posted: October 27, 2012 at 09:52 AM (#4284839)
Sorry to use this thread for very selfish reasons but my wife and I just watched the first episode of Battlestar Galactica last night and I'm now wondering if I should continue. Don't get me wrong. I didn't dislike it, but it seems like quite a time investment and the first episode didn't exactly pull me in. Maybe it's because the acting was a little wooden. Does the series get a lot better as you go on?

Not sure if this will be at all helpful, but I was in the same boat a couple months ago. I think my initial reaction was very similar to yours. I think it's worth it to stick it out. Though I finished season 3 quite a while ago now and haven't bothered to get the next season on DVD, so take that for what it's worth.

#554, that is a pretty convincing view of Drive. Though I do wonder how the elevator scene mentioned above fits into that reading. Carey Mulligan's reaction seems to indicate that C) negated B) in this case. As for the mask scene I was a bit fuzzy on that as well. It seemed like just a toss in to provide some sort of connection to his day-job in the movie studio and for him to look creepy. In terms of actual in-movie reasons the best I can come up with is that he wanted to poke his head into the pizzeria to make sure Pearlman was there. Which seems both overly-elaborate and unnecessary (both because I'm not sure Pearlman knows what he looks like at that point, and surely he can just stakeout the place from afar).
   559. JJ1986 Posted: October 27, 2012 at 09:53 AM (#4284840)
Did you watch the miniseries or "33"? If it was the former, then the next episode is really good.
   560. hokieneer Posted: October 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM (#4284848)

All my disappointment came right in the middle of viewing the trailer. I'm not a huge film buff, so while I had heard there was a live-action Transformers movie in production, I had no idea who was directing/producing/etc. About halfway through the first trailer the screen read "From the director of Pearl Harbor" or something alluding to Bay having his hands on it. I stopped it, got up from my desk, and went to have a smoke.

At least the trailer didn't overhype the movie.
   561. Lassus Posted: October 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM (#4284851)
I agree with this. The discussion that Gaelan and Alex are having gives the movie way too much credit. But I liked the wrapping a lot more than you did. I think the wrapping was awesome.

Well, right. I can cop to that, no problem. I think that if the wrapping is better that the present, you can't pretend contend the present came from Bloomingdales.
   562. PreservedFish Posted: October 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM (#4284859)
Oh, but I think sometimes the wrapping is the present. Especially in film. Aren't genre conventions mostly just a lot of wrapping? Isn't Breathless mostly wrapping, or Badlands, or Bullitt? James Bond? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it seems like you're prioritizing plot above all. But good directors can have a lot of fun with extremely familiar or simple plots.

I was disappointed that the heart of the plot was so conventional. But for me that only held it back from really being a triumph.

Also, maybe we've been watching different movies, but Drive's wrapping didn't seem that common or overdone to me. It looked like early Michael Mann, and he's still making movies, so I suppose there's some overlap there ...
   563. chisoxcollector Posted: October 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM (#4284912)
Ugh, I'm VERY late to this thread. Let me just say that Drive is an incredible film. That opening scene alone packs more punch than the entirety of 95% of films. I have Drive as either the first or second best of last year... only 50/50 provides any real competition.

As for AVClub's list of the best films of the 90s, Before Sunrise was by far the biggest omission. I started reading at #50, and as I got further and further I kept thinking "Wow, how high is it going to be?" It was until I reached the top 5 or so that it even occurred to me that it might not be on the list at all. The sequel is just as good, and I can't wait for the next film in the series.

Lastly, Kate Upton. She isn't remotely my type... and still there is no doubt that she's smoking hot.
   564. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM (#4284922)

But, the whole idea that a New York Mafia boss would abandon his NY territories, leave his people w/o protection, and go to Nevada to "go legit" is a preposterous story line. If a real mobster tried to do what Michael does, he would have been killed 6 minutes into the movie. Hell, his mother would have helped kill him.
   565. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:27 PM (#4284948)
50/50 had mixed reviews but a few people have mentioned it as excellent in this topic. I'll have to check it out.

EDIT: Apparently my memory deceived me since it's at 93% at RT, not exactly 'mixed'.
   566. Tuque Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:34 PM (#4284952)
50/50 is very good. Speaking of young, pretty, and wicked talented actresses, Anna Kendrick is at or near the top of my list.
   567. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: October 27, 2012 at 01:45 PM (#4284958)
Plot has almost nothing to do with whether a movie is good or not.
   568. Monty Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:00 PM (#4284965)

Did you watch the pilot movie or the first actual episode, "33". Because if it's the movie, you should push on. But if "33" didn't grab you, you should walk away, because it's one of the most compelling episodes of the series.
   569. Chokeland Bill Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4284988)

For a franchise that is supposed to be about giant robots fighting, the first movie pretty much took every opportunity to cut away from that and show humans doing stuff.

Has anyone seen The Master yet? Saw it couple of weeks ago....and I liked it but it might be a movie I have to see more than once.

The acting and direction are superb, but I have no interest in seeing it again. It is an impeccably crafted film about people I didn't care for.

Out of all films to come out so far this year, Argo is probably the most likely to do well during awards season. It's very good, somewhat topical, and manages to be both funny and tense when needed.

Seven Psychopaths was probably the movie I enjoyed the most this year, but it's not for everybody. Anyone who enjoys dark, violent comedy should check it out.

Battlestar Galactica is pretty strong from the season 1 premiere through the first two-thirds of season 2. After that it drops off in quality but still has has high points that match the peaks of the initial run (particularly the first four episodes of season 3, the arguable high point of the series). At it's best the show is driven by character and political threads, the religion/spiritual stuff really bogs things down in the final two seasons. I say check it out through the two-parter in episodes 4&5 (Act of Contrition and You Can't Go Home Again). If you aren't hooked at that point it probably isn't worth moving on.
   570. chisoxcollector Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4284989)
Plot has almost nothing to do with whether a movie is good or not.

Agreed. My favorite Roger Ebert quote goes something like this. "It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it."
   571. Tuque Posted: October 27, 2012 at 02:52 PM (#4285001)
Has anyone seen The Master yet?

This video was the perfect summation of how I felt about that movie...
   572. McCoy Posted: October 27, 2012 at 03:13 PM (#4285017)
I keep meaning to see Slither but I never get around to it.

The downside of watching a lot of movies is that they all sort of blend together for me nowadays. I'm seldom blown away by movie and wish to see it again. Though oddly enough I'll occasionally get the desire to watch a movie I saw 10 or more years ago. There has been almost nothing I've seen in the last 5 years or so that I've had a desire to see again. It might just be because I've seen so many movies or it might be because TV dramas have gotten so good that modern movies are suffering in comparison. I'm much more likely to cannonball through a season or series of some show than watch a movie I saw 3 years ago.
   573. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: October 27, 2012 at 04:11 PM (#4285066)
It might just be because I've seen so many movies or it might be because TV dramas have gotten so good that modern movies are suffering in comparison. I'm much more likely to cannonball through a season or series of some show than watch a movie I saw 3 years ago.
i'm almost the same way, except it's gotten to the point where i really have no interest in watching any movie anymore. serialized TV is just so much more fleshed out, from the characters, to their relationships, to the plot, that when i try to watch movies now, they just feel incomplete because there's not enough there.

574. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: October 27, 2012 at 04:27 PM (#4285078)
After that it drops off in quality but still has has high points that match the peaks of the initial run (particularly the first four episodes of season 3, the arguable high point of the series).
i actually think the episode directly after that, "collaborators", where everyone gets back to life in the fleet, is the best episode of the entire series. the way that it flows into my other favorite BSG story arc -- the 3 episode coup in season 4, "a disquiet follows my soul", "the oath" and "blood on the scales" -- really sets it above everything else on new caprica. and if you go back and watch it after you finish the rest of the series, there's a lot of really good -- i won't say foreshadowing, because i'm pretty sure it wasn't planned to be that way, but things that fit in much better when you find out about the final 5 cylons.
   575. smileyy Posted: October 27, 2012 at 05:15 PM (#4285134)
STEAGLES, I wonder if you need to aim at a different type of movie. It sounds like you like the "depth of character" of a movie, but found that serialized drama did it better. So either that's the kind of entertainment you like, or you find what a movie _can_ do in 90-150 minutes.
   576. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: October 27, 2012 at 05:40 PM (#4285157)
STEAGLES, I wonder if you need to aim at a different type of movie. It sounds like you like the "depth of character" of a movie, but found that serialized drama did it better. So either that's the kind of entertainment you like, or you find what a movie _can_ do in 90-150 minutes.

my favorite movies over the last ~10 years have been pulp fiction, from dusk till dawn, inglourious bastards, the dark knight, fight club, lock stock and two smoking barrels, snatch, the departed, LA confidential, and goon.

there are other movies that i've liked, but those are ones where if i see them on, i have to watch 5 minutes, and if i watch 5 minutes, i'm probably gonna watch until the credits.

so yeah, i definitely have a type, but there aren't a lot of directors who can pull that kind of movie off.
   577. smileyy Posted: October 27, 2012 at 06:35 PM (#4285205)
I'm a sucker for "Conan the Barbarian" (the original) -- even the bowdlerized tv version of it. I just can't stop, its so good.

Of those, would The Departed and LA Confidential work better as serialized dramas? Maybe even The Dark Knight (and TDKR)? The other seem along the lines of irreverent action movies, which I think cinema still does well.

But yes, I can agree that movies have lost their throne as the best place for High Drama.
   578. Greg K Posted: October 27, 2012 at 06:37 PM (#4285207)
Speaking of TV, today's The Thick of It was truly great.

Some tremendous melt-downs/arrests/terminations/resignations from Malcolm Tucker, Stewart, and Glenn.

And some classic lines delivered to Terry.

Glenn: "Terry, I don't think I've ever met anyone quite so proud and quite so useless. I do have to thank you, because I have managed to stay in shape purely through the energy I spend in pitying you every day."

Adam: "One of the many, many things that baffles me about you is that you remain unmurdered."
   579. Bourbon Samurai Posted: October 27, 2012 at 07:14 PM (#4285232)
I'm a sucker for "Conan the Barbarian" (the original) -- even the bowdlerized tv version of it. I just can't stop, its so good.

I have just read that apparently Arnold has signed to do a new one- a kind of old conan looking back at his life, which I am super excited by as that was always an aspect of the old comics. I love that original Conan.

The Conan that came out last year was truly, magnificently awful. What an epic failure. How you take ####### conan the barbarian and make a 2 hour movie that doesn't have one instant of fun in it...I have no idea.
   580. Monty Posted: October 27, 2012 at 09:00 PM (#4285344)
a kind of old conan looking back at his life, which I am super excited by as that was always an aspect of the old comics. I love that original Conan.

The first Conan story Robert E. Howard ever wrote was about Conan in middle age, trying to rule Aquilonia.
   581. McCoy Posted: October 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM (#4285453)
I think Nolan's Batman would have made a great TV Drama and while the effects would not have been good I think everything else would have benefitted from doing 1 hour shows on HBO. The last one was just a big mess, the first one screamed for a 12 show season, and the second one was only saved by Ledger's Joker but even with him the movie played like a TV drama with its zillion climaxes and cliffhangers.
   582. Tuque Posted: October 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM (#4285495)
blood on the scales

That episode is one of the best anythings I've ever anythinged. The ending gave me ####### tingles and cemented Gaeta as one of my favorite characters in everything ever.
   583. smileyy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 01:08 AM (#4285731)
[581] I'm impressed that Nolan was able to make a 3 hour TDKR feel rushed. That movie needed a lot more room to breathe.
   584. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 28, 2012 at 02:19 AM (#4285749)
That movie needed a lot more room to breathe.

You mean, because it sucked so much?
This was one of those times I felt like I just didn't see the movie everybody else saw.
   585. McCoy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 03:50 AM (#4285755)
I thought Nolan's trilogy to be rather boring. Batman Begins was horrible and I have no desire to ever see it again. TDK had about a million endings and felt like it went on for 6 hours. TDKR was just a horribly written movie with a bad plot.
   586. vivaelpujols Posted: October 28, 2012 at 09:28 AM (#4285779)
I remember thinking Kirsten Dunst was unbelievably hot in virgin suicides. And I agree with whoever said that Elisha Cutbhert in the early 2000's hottest was the hottest woman of all time.

As for movies, I thought Resevoir Dogs was Tarantino's best movie by far and probably the best of the 90's. Pulp Fiction is mostly great, but it's kind of gimmicky and there are some pretty grating scenes (like Bruce Willis with that french chick). Goodfellas was great, but the second half always kind of bores me. Still they are both probably in the top 10. Virgin Suicides was actually probably better than Resevoir Dogs, and there were like 4 great coen brothers movies (Barton Fink, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, arguably The Big Lebowski). Being John Malkovich and OFFICE SPACE are also in the top 10.
   587. vivaelpujols Posted: October 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM (#4285804)
Also Britney Murphy is fine.
   588. Swoboda is freedom Posted: October 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM (#4285809)
there were like 4 great coen brothers movies (Barton Fink, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, arguably The Big Lebowski)

Where's the love for Miller's Crossing? That is one of my favorite Coen brother movies.
   589. vivaelpujols Posted: October 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM (#4285816)
yeah i could see anyone thinking miller's crossing, blood simple or fargo were great as well. I personally don't like them as much as their best movies.
   590. chisoxcollector Posted: October 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM (#4285825)
I think Kirsten Dunst has been reasonably hot all along, including her recent film Melancholia... she just isn't particularly pretty.

I agree with the two posters that said peak Elisha Cuthbert is one of the hottest women of all time. She's tough to beat in season one of 24 and The Girl Next Door.

For some reason I've never truly connected with Coen Bros movies the way most like-minded cinephiles have. I like them all well enough, but none would make my personal top 50. No Country for Old Men is probably my favorite.

591. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM (#4285862)
Once you see that Dunst snaggle-tooth, it's hard to forget it.

And yes, in the category of "young, blond, and sexy", fellow Canadian Cuthbert is near the top of the list. I've always found this picture of her to be the most "inspiring".
   592. Too Much Coffee Man Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM (#4285873)
Sorry, but this thread is a bit creepy. I totally get the obsession of ripping apart a multi-year deal for an over thirty player with a poor command of the strike zone.

Criticizing Kate Upton's credentials as a super model seems over the top, as is being critical of Verlander for not dating someone "hotter."

Every time I see Verlander speak, he seems personable, a good quote. He's very likable in this article as well.
   593. hokieneer Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM (#4285880)
I think Nolan's Batman would have made a great TV Drama and while the effects would not have been good I think everything else would have benefitted from doing 1 hour shows on HBO. The last one was just a big mess, the first one screamed for a 12 show season, and the second one was only saved by Ledger's Joker but even with him the movie played like a TV drama with its zillion climaxes and cliffhangers.

You mean, because it sucked so much?
This was one of those times I felt like I just didn't see the movie everybody else saw.

I have yet to see the 3rd installment, but I had that same exact feeling after the TDK. I left the theater completely disappointed, and even generally being a fan of Nolan's work, I just couldn't understand the level of praise for TDK. After I watched it the 2nd time at home, I didn't think it was completely awful, just not very good.

I think McCoy hit the nail on the head for me, the pacing in TDK was just awful, and really made the movie boring and drag on. I have no desires to go see the 3rd one.
   594. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM (#4285886)
I just couldn't understand the level of praise for TDK.

It's all about Heath Ledger. I thought the Two-Face stuff was just a waste of time.
   595. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM (#4285891)
I have yet to see the 3rd installment, but I had that same exact feeling after the TDK. I left the theater completely disappointed, and even generally being a fan of Nolan's work, I just couldn't understand the level of praise for TDK. After I watched it the 2nd time at home, I didn't think it was completely awful, just not very good.

I think McCoy hit the nail on the head for me, the pacing in TDK was just awful, and really made the movie boring and drag on. I have no desires to go see the 3rd one.

It's better if you read this whole thing in Christian Bale's stupid gruff "Now I'm Batman and totally not Bruce Wayne" voice.
   596. hokieneer Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM (#4285893)
It's all about Heath Ledger. I thought the Two-Face stuff was just a waste of time.

Even with that taken into account, I still don't get it. Ledger was good, but I didn't come away with the impression he turned an awful movie into an all-time great.
   597. smileyy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM (#4285913)
Huh. I thought Batman Begins was fabulous, TDK was adequate, and TDKR was...well...not good.
   598. chisoxcollector Posted: October 28, 2012 at 01:59 PM (#4285995)
Huh. I thought Batman Begins was fabulous, TDK was adequate, and TDKR was...well...not good.

This sums it up pretty well for me. I loved Batman Begins. I thought The Dark Knight was pretty good, but definitely overpraised. The last one isn't terrible, but definitely the worst of the bunch.

A couple of people mentioned Looper earlier. I'd like to give it another plug. Very good movie. Am I the only one that things Joseph Gordon Levitt is the best reasonably young actor working today?
   599. Monty Posted: October 28, 2012 at 01:59 PM (#4285996)
I think McCoy hit the nail on the head for me, the pacing in TDK was just awful, and really made the movie boring and drag on

I think that movie should have ended when Aaron Eckhart wakes up in the hospital and sees the coin on his bedstand. Put the rest of the stuff in a second movie.
   600. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 28, 2012 at 03:19 PM (#4286046)
flip
Page 6 of 9 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
danielj
for his generous support.