Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, September 18, 2017

‘Friends,’ the Sitcom That’s Still a Hit in Major League Baseball

For at least one generation of Americans, “Friends” endures as a cultural touchstone, a glowing chunk of 1990s amber. But its runaway popularity stretched far beyond the United States, and for some Latino baseball players it is something more: a language guide, a Rosetta Stone disguised as six 20-somethings commingling in a Manhattan apartment.

What would they have learned by watching, say “The X Files” instead?

NattyBoh Posted: September 18, 2017 at 09:59 AM | 485 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: english, latino players, minors

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5
   401. Random Transaction Generator Posted: September 22, 2017 at 08:15 AM (#5536598)
flop
   402. villageidiom Posted: September 22, 2017 at 08:21 AM (#5536600)
Especially since it's not even wrong! The show was set in New York, not the midwest, so even if CFB is right that people in the midwest don't order Chinese food, it would be irrelevant. I could see being irked if the show misportrayed reality, but here he's just complaining that it accurately portrays a different culture than his own.

I don't live in NYC, nor have I ever. But in central CT if I order pizza the shortest wait time I get is 20 minutes, and close to a peak time it's more like 40 minutes. That's for carry-out; for delivery add another 20 minutes (for the place that's 5 minutes away by car). For Chinese carry-out, it's 10 minutes. Never 15; never 5. It's always ready in 10 minutes. The place I prefer for Chinese is also 5 minutes away and doesn't deliver, so I'm not really clear on delivery speed 'round here for that. I don't know if that's the same in NYC, but I suspect in NYC the shortest distance between {restaurant take-out food} and {my mouth} would be Chinese food.

Despite that, far more often when looking to order food to be delivered I'm ordering pizza, because (a) if I'm ordering out either I don't want to cook or I'm busy with other stuff, and (b) if I'm looking for delivery it's because I'm busy with other people. Ordering out with other people is a long negotiation process unless you're ordering pizza because with a group just ordering cheese and/or pepperoni will be at least 90% of the order. Ordering Chinese with a group? Shoot me now. Yeah, we'll get it cooked and delivered lightning fast, if we can ever get out of our own way and place the damn order.
   403. Lassus Posted: September 22, 2017 at 08:24 AM (#5536603)
I lived in the city for 11 years total and simply must not have been a real New Yorker, as I never ordered anything to be delivered.
   404. Random Transaction Generator Posted: September 22, 2017 at 08:24 AM (#5536604)
Meredith Baxter-Birney

Her mom, Whitney Blake, was more so.

MBB was the first time I had a crush on a much older woman. Bailey was supposed to be in her 20s (which was at least in RANGE of my age at the time), but Mrs. Keaton was a mom in her 30s (40s?). But yup, crushed on her as well.

I did not know about Whiteny Blake, but I definitely see that resemblance and understand where MBB's looks come from.

Modern day mom character that I think is hot would be Claire Dunphy (Julie Bowen) from Modern Family. She's almost exactly my age, and other than a season and a half where she lost TOO much weight and looked skeletal for a bit, she's always looked mighty fine in my eyes. I also believe she is better looking now than when she was in "Happy Gilmore" more than 20 years ago.
   405. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 22, 2017 at 08:36 AM (#5536606)
I also believe she is better looking now than when she was in "Happy Gilmore" more than 20 years ago.

It looks like there's been some well-done 5000 mile touchups over the years. She looks older in the Happy Gilmore picture.

For first crush, my 10 year old self crushed on Hayley Mills in the original Parent Trap.
For a crush on an adult woman as a teenager, Mrs. Peel from the Avengers.
   406. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 22, 2017 at 09:10 AM (#5536626)
Ordering Chinese with a group? Shoot me now.

I was once staying at someone's house at "the shore", offered to get Chinese food for dinner as a thank you. The order came back - three families with six children had all ordered separate entrees, plus the fixin's. Cost me more than two nights in a hotel, alone.
   407. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 22, 2017 at 09:20 AM (#5536638)
For first crush, my 10 year old self crushed on Hayley Mills in the original Parent Trap.

Her sister Juliet was the star of Nanny and the Professor. I was probably 9 then, and had a big crush of the "my brain really likes her, but the rest of me doesn't know why yet" type on her.

I did not know about Whiteny Blake, but I definitely see that resemblance and understand where MBB's looks come from.

Whitney Blake and Don Defore on Hazel were one of the prototypes for the dumpy guy-absurdly gorgeous woman couples on sitcoms. At least they made it slightly plausible, in that he was a pricey corporate lawyer.
   408. PreservedFish Posted: September 22, 2017 at 09:29 AM (#5536644)
People really don't get how to order Chinese, Indian, or Thai food. You need to share. It just doesn't work properly if everyone gets their own thing.
   409. PreservedFish Posted: September 22, 2017 at 09:29 AM (#5536645)
People really don't get how to order Chinese, Indian, or Thai food. You need to share. It just doesn't work properly if everyone gets their own thing.
   410. Lassus Posted: September 22, 2017 at 09:34 AM (#5536646)
   411. Greg K Posted: September 22, 2017 at 09:37 AM (#5536651)
The way my friends tend to order Chinese food is everyone picks their favourite dish, then you all share.

Of course, it's also a system that has evolved over several years. Everyone has a go-to dish at a particular restaurant, and over time they've melded into complementary orders. So it's generally pretty quick in selection (in fact, at some places you could probably just call and say "hey, it's me" and they'll know what you're ordering).

A friend of mine actually is such a regular regular at this one Pho place that it can be a bit of an imposition on the owners. He went there for lunch so often that they used to get his soup ready as soon as they saw his car in the parking lot. By the time he sat down the food was almost ready. But it became a bit of a problem if he ever had to go to that strip mall for other reasons (the bank, get some groceries, eat at the Korean place next door). So after a few "hey, where'd you go yesterday?" comments, he started parking at the far end of the lot if he wasn't eating there.
   412. The Good Face Posted: September 22, 2017 at 10:07 AM (#5536671)
I'm afraid to click any of the links on this page. Some of you guys are probably being legit but I've been around here long enough to know that one of them is likely an Albright. And I don't know which.

I enjoy a good Albright as much as the next guy, but hot pics of a young Markie Post are serious business. No shenanigans.
   413. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 22, 2017 at 10:33 AM (#5536692)
Kind of catching up on this thread;

The best sex sitcom is probably "Coupling," at least for its first three seasons (22 episodes). Basically a much funnier, dirty "Friends."

This is so very very true. What an amazing show (the fourth season never happened). The episode where Jeff loses the key is one of the best half hours of TV ever.

Hogan's Heroes is pure genius and I'm definitely a bit of an SJW.

Bailey Quarters...yes.

The IT Crowd is another BBC show that is pure genius. Also while not a sitcom MI-5 (Spooks in the UK) is what people want to pretend 24 is. Just magnificent.
   414. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 22, 2017 at 10:56 AM (#5536711)
Coupling: Jeff was wonderful, but I think the last season without him was still very good, and there were several excellent episodes. The moment where Patrick walks into the pre-birthing class is one of the best payoffs for a long-term character that I've ever seen. I thought the new character, Oliver (full circle to cousin Oliver?) was okay, except that he was tethered to Jane, and she's...uh...better in small doses.
   415. Random Transaction Generator Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:02 AM (#5536717)
All these bikini photos of Markie Post point out one thing:

She had absolutely TERRIBLE 80s hair. It's so big and so distracting!

416. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:09 AM (#5536727)
The hair is what you noticed?
   417. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:09 AM (#5536728)
I, too, loved Hogans Heroes...

Too lazy to look up all the times the Simpsons referenced HH (I think there have been three or four, including a guest voicing by the actor who played Klink) - but I bet if I did, its decline can be calculated as a function of time since the last time the show referenced it.

I will also concur that for that in terms of my "Mrs Robinson" sitcom crushes from back in the day -- Markie Post was mine.

MBB was attractive, but the problem is that her Elyse Keaton character felt like the sort that would never go for such shenanigans... Any young teen boy attempts to fantasize about her inevitably ended her making me a nice mug of hot chocolate, tossing out some - probably sincere sounding to a 13 yo - lip service about being flattered, and patiently explaining that I should find a nice young girl my own age.
   418. Der-K: downgraded to lurker Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:15 AM (#5536732)
Given the mention of British sketch, is anyone else here a Chris Morris fan? It's very hit and miss, but Jam is one of the few TV shows in recent memory that I find re-watchable.
   419. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:15 AM (#5536733)
She had absolutely TERRIBLE 80s hair. It's so big and so distracting!

Pshaw.... you're probably one of the sorts that disagrees with Blair >>>>>>>> Jo on Facts of Life.
   420. The Good Face Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:22 AM (#5536739)
The IT Crowd is another BBC show that is pure genius.

Matt Berry is comedy gold. Between The IT Crowd, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, and his masterful turn as Dixon Bainbridge in the Mighty Boosh, dude can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.
   421. Man o' Schwar Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:35 AM (#5536749)
MBB was attractive, but the problem is that her Elyse Keaton character felt like the sort that would never go for such shenanigans... Any young teen boy attempts to fantasize about her inevitably ended her making me a nice mug of hot chocolate, tossing out some - probably sincere sounding to a 13 yo - lip service about being flattered, and patiently explaining that I should find a nice young girl my own age.

Maybe she'd set you up with Mallory. That Nick was no good, and Skippy Handleman was such a nerd.
   422. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:41 AM (#5536753)
Maybe she'd set you up with Mallory. That Nick was no good, and Skippy Handleman was such a nerd.

If she wanted to set me up with Mallory, then she really needed to let Mallory bouffant her hair up in a more 80s appropriate fashion... and stop insisting on dressing her like a nun.

I mean, she's dating Nick and never once wears any Madonna-inspired off the shoulder tops?!!?!? Come on!

For shame, 60s hippies Keaton parents... for shame.
   423. dlf Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:42 AM (#5536755)
I think there have been three or four, including a guest voicing by the actor who played Klink

I saw Werner Klemperer in a small theater in San Diego back somewhere in the late 80s or early 90s. I kept waiting for the next line to be "Hoooooogaaaaan."
   424. Man o' Schwar Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:45 AM (#5536758)
I saw Werner Klemperer in a small theater in San Diego back somewhere in the late 80s or early 90s. I kept waiting for the next line to be "Hoooooogaaaaan."

He did a very early episode of Law & Order, playing the father of a man who was mentally deranged and attacked a TV actress. It was disconcerting seeing him in a non-Klink role.
   425. Man o' Schwar Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:47 AM (#5536759)
If she wanted to set me up with Mallory, then she really needed to let Mallory bouffant her hair up in a more 80s appropriate fashion... and stop insisting on dressing her like a nun.

I mean, she's dating Nick and never once wears any Madonna-inspired off the shoulder tops?!!?!? Come on!

For shame, 60s hippies Keaton parents... for shame.

It's true. Plus she was into fashion - you'd think that she would have insisted on some trendier wear just on her own.
   426. Lassus Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:52 AM (#5536764)
For those unaware, Col. Klink was the son of one of the most famous conductors of the century.
   427. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:54 AM (#5536767)
Julie Bowen

was hot AF in Boston Legal.
   428. Omineca Greg Posted: September 22, 2017 at 11:56 AM (#5536770)
Jean Stapleton had a very difficult role in All In The Family. All the things Edith had to put up with, and then being a person of limited talent and ability on top of that. That Jean was able to play that character and bring a dignity to that role, and make the family believable, and at times a warm place, just incredible. I think it's great, great acting.
   429. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: September 22, 2017 at 12:00 PM (#5536772)
It's true. Plus she was into fashion - you'd think that she would have insisted on some trendier wear just on her own.

Exactly! And as her turn very much keeping up with a young Julia Roberts in Satisfaction showed, she had the goods.... but they always dressed her in grandma's hand-me-downs.
   430. Der-K: downgraded to lurker Posted: September 22, 2017 at 12:05 PM (#5536777)
TGF, have you tried Toast of London? Didn't work for me, but I'm not really a Berry guy - many seem to like it.
   431. Man o' Schwar Posted: September 22, 2017 at 12:26 PM (#5536806)
Julie Bowen

was hot AF in Boston Legal.

Yes she was. That show had Bowen plus Rhona Mitra, which was a pretty nice combination added to the witty repartee of Alan Shore and Denny Crane.
   432. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 22, 2017 at 01:21 PM (#5536868)
I think there have been three or four, including a guest voicing by the actor who played Klink

"The Last Temptation of Homer" from Season 5.

Also guest starring Michelle Pfeiffer, voicing Mindy, just a fantastic episode.
   433. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 22, 2017 at 01:26 PM (#5536874)
Seeing Werner Klemperer as one of the Nazis on trial in Judgement at Nuremberg, years after HH, was quite disconcerting. I kept wanting him to wag his finger at Richard Widmark and admonish him. I can't get enough of Judy Garland and Montgomery Clift playing broken people serving as witnesses. Extremely moving.
   434. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 22, 2017 at 01:28 PM (#5536879)
I hadn't seen those pictures of Markie Post before -- why did Night Court dress her in such frumpy clothing? Wait a minute, I guess I understand.
   435. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 22, 2017 at 01:30 PM (#5536881)
Speaking of Hogan's Heroes, I guess it had been long enough since WWII to portray Nazis as humorous characters in the late 60s. In a short period of time, you had HH, The Producers and Laugh-In (Arte Johnson's "Verrrry Interesting" soldier) all with funny Nazis.
   436. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 22, 2017 at 01:40 PM (#5536891)
Speaking of Hogan's Heroes, I guess it had been long enough since WWII to portray Nazis as humorous characters in the late 60s. In a short period of time, you had HH, The Producers and Laugh-In (Arte Johnson's "Verrrry Interesting" soldier) all with funny Nazis.

I remember an interview with Klemperer where he said one of the conditions of him taking the job was that Klink would never, ever succeed in any of his endeavors.

1945-1965 (WWII - Hogan's Heroes)
1953-1972 (Korean War - M*A*S*H)
1975-1987 (Vietnam - Good Morning Vietnam)
   437. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: September 22, 2017 at 01:53 PM (#5536912)
"The Last Temptation of Homer" from Season 5.

Also guest starring Michelle Pfeiffer, voicing Mindy, just a fantastic episode.

Yeah - there's also the episode where Burns sells the plant the new plant manager tries to assuage the fears of the plant workers by explaining that perhaps he reminds them of the lovable Sergeant Schultz...
   438. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: September 22, 2017 at 02:08 PM (#5536925)
Speaking of Hogan's Heroes, I guess it had been long enough since WWII to portray Nazis as humorous characters in the late 60s.

The show debuted 20 years after the end of WWII. We're 16 years after 9/11/01 and somehow I don't think there are going to be any comedies about inept Muslim terrorists on network TV c.2021.
   439. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 22, 2017 at 02:11 PM (#5536934)
and somehow I don't think there are going to be any comedies about inept Muslim terrorists on network TV c.2021.

Though there already was an inept Muslim terrorist movie made, Four Lions, back in 2010.
   440. Lassus Posted: September 22, 2017 at 02:11 PM (#5536935)
somehow I don't think there are going to be any comedies about inept Muslim terrorists on network TV c.2021.

Movies, maybe. (Although it's British.)
   441. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 22, 2017 at 02:13 PM (#5536937)
Slow on the draw, Lassus ... too slow.

Though I will say that I didn't remember that Four Lions stars Riz Ahmed, who just won an Emmy for his performance in The Night Of, as the only competent terrorist in the cell and he's fantastic.
   442. Lassus Posted: September 22, 2017 at 02:19 PM (#5536943)
HA! Dammit.
   443. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 22, 2017 at 02:26 PM (#5536954)

somehow I don't think there are going to be any comedies about inept Muslim terrorists on network TV c.2021.

They're not going to be remaking Hogan anytime soon, either. Too soon for the people who weren't born yet.
   444. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 22, 2017 at 02:29 PM (#5536958)
I don't remember why but I learned of Four Lions recently and thought it looked good. Is it worth a watch?
   445. Lassus Posted: September 22, 2017 at 02:50 PM (#5536981)
I don't remember why but I learned of Four Lions recently and thought it looked good. Is it worth a watch?

I think I thought it was good, but the sort good that you rather wished it had been better.
   446. Der-K: downgraded to lurker Posted: September 22, 2017 at 03:44 PM (#5537011)
Four Lions being the only movie made by the guy I asked about in #418. (Film was a mixed bag, more good than bad, Ahmed was excellent.)
   447. Gaelan Posted: September 22, 2017 at 03:56 PM (#5537017)
As I've gotten older and my interest in baseball has waned, I don't come around here as much. But one thing that will always keep me coming back is cardsfanboy's views on New York City, mass culture, and Chinese Food. They are both inexplicable and fascinating, fascinating because they are inexplicable. Kind of like Ray's love of Frasier and Hawaii 5-O.
   448. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 22, 2017 at 04:02 PM (#5537021)
Pretty good (B/B-) for Four Lions, not a lot of laugh-out-loud moments and certainly not a feel-good comedy, but worth a watch if you find yourself in that kind of mood.

It's still pretty amazing it got made, I can only imagine the 'sploding heads that would happen if someone tried to make something similar here.

449. Baldrick Posted: September 22, 2017 at 04:15 PM (#5537036)
I think I thought it was good, but the sort good that you rather wished it had been better.

Exactly my opinion as well.
   450. PepTech Posted: September 22, 2017 at 04:18 PM (#5537037)
Gaelan - Maybe you avoided it on purpose, but in case you missed it, this week's OTP featured the immortal post:
584. Lassus Posted: September 20, 2017 at 03:11 PM (#5535245)
This portion of the thread really DOES need Gaelan. Someone email him to get his ass over here.
   451. jmurph Posted: September 22, 2017 at 04:18 PM (#5537039)
Kind of like Ray's love of Frasier

Aside from Ray's geographical rooting interests, this is his next best contribution here.

(Frasier is basically perfect.)
   452. simon bedford Posted: September 22, 2017 at 06:37 PM (#5537085)
Frasier jumped the shark with no questions when they tried to hide daphnes real life pregnancy, the rest of the run of that show was tedious rehashing and dull new characters ( look we got a wacky new owner of the station!).
The "cheers' guest spots were all pretty useless as well.
   453. Greg K Posted: September 22, 2017 at 06:54 PM (#5537092)
When it comes to TV shows I'm a firm believer in zeroing out negative WAR seasons. If you give me three quality years and then three years of god awful, audience-insulting drek then I'm just going to rank you as if those last three were just forgettable.

It's interesting when you have the drek on the front-end, as in Parks and Rec mentioned above, or even more glaringly, in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Sort of like Roy Halladay's awful 2000 season being an interesting footnote in his HoF case, rather than a real hindrance.
   454. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 22, 2017 at 07:09 PM (#5537099)
My ranking's based on a viewing of the whole series. Shows like Happy Days and Andy Griffith Show take massive beatings.
   455. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 22, 2017 at 07:54 PM (#5537114)
Shows like Happy Days and Andy Griffith Show take massive beatings

But Happy Days' jumping the shark gave us "jumping the shark". Doesn't that make the drek part worth it?
   456. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 22, 2017 at 07:55 PM (#5537115)
No.

457. cardsfanboy Posted: September 22, 2017 at 08:59 PM (#5537134)

But Happy Days' jumping the shark gave us "jumping the shark". Doesn't that make the drek part worth it?

And Ted McGinley, "Show Killer."
   458. Srul Itza Posted: September 22, 2017 at 09:08 PM (#5537140)
I don't remember why but I learned of Four Lions recently

Maybe you saw it where I did, in an article after the recent London tube bombing, where the bomb did not fully detonate. It talked about how there is a sort of "Four Lions" factor that has protected us in some terrorist plots, i.e, the incompetence of the terrorists in making bombs that don't go off, or don't have the bang that was expected, or in the best case scenario (assuming no one innocent is caught in it), blow themselves up while trying to make the explosives.
   459. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 22, 2017 at 09:10 PM (#5537141)
I had to explain jumping the shark to a millenial last month after he was using the term somewhat improperly. I showed him the clip and he was in a stunned silence.
   460. Greg K Posted: September 22, 2017 at 09:24 PM (#5537149)
You know I've never actually seen the shark jumping...

Just watched it now. I always thought it would be an over the top ridiculous scene. But no, it's actually just incredibly dull.
   461. Srul Itza Posted: September 22, 2017 at 09:51 PM (#5537171)
it's actually just incredibly dull.

Like the rest of that show.

But then again, it was supposed to be about the 50's.
   462. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: September 22, 2017 at 10:41 PM (#5537203)
This guy just thought it meant something ridiculous, didn't realize the Fonz actually did this in a tv show
   463. Jay Z Posted: September 23, 2017 at 01:51 AM (#5537250)
You know I've never actually seen the shark jumping...

Just watched it now. I always thought it would be an over the top ridiculous scene. But no, it's actually just incredibly dull.

Henry Winkler knew how to waterski. Unlike riding a motorcycle. That's why they did it. Seems unlikely that Fonzie would have known how to waterski, I guess he got by on coolness. It was a sequel of sorts to the time Fonzie jumped over garbage cans with his motorcycle, which came off a lot better. The waterski thing was a two parter at the beginning of a season, it was a very apt choice for the guys who coined the phrase. You saw that, maybe it wasn't the dregs, but things sure ain't getting any better after that one.
   464. Gazizza, my Dilznoofuses! Posted: September 23, 2017 at 01:18 PM (#5537322)
I used the phrase "jump the shark" in a conversation with a friend who had never heard the term. (This was back when it was first coming into prominence." After I explained its meaning as a point of no return for a TV show, he said "Oh, kind of like when Fonzie jumped over the shark wearing water skis." I was genuinely impressed and surprised he made that connection so quickly.
   465. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 23, 2017 at 02:11 PM (#5537341)
I think the metaphorical jump preceded the actual jump. It occurred when the furrow-browed viewer muttered, "They're really doing this?"

I don't think it was mentioned above: Reno 911! was very funny for several years.
   466. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 23, 2017 at 02:15 PM (#5537343)
Nobody's mentioned South Park.
   467. Greg Pope Posted: September 23, 2017 at 03:09 PM (#5537365)
I've seen the clip a bunch, but what was the actual setup for the shark jumping? I mean, they seem to have trapped a fairly large shark in a tiny area near the beach. Not sure how they pulled that off*. And I don't know why he was doing the trick in the first place.

*In show. The shark clips were obviously stock footage.
   468. Man o' Schwar Posted: September 23, 2017 at 03:37 PM (#5537377)
I've seen the clip a bunch, but what was the actual setup for the shark jumping? I mean, they seem to have trapped a fairly large shark in a tiny area near the beach. Not sure how they pulled that off*. And I don't know why he was doing the trick in the first place.

It's a kind of convoluted story out of a 3-part series of episodes. Fonzie fixes some movie producers' car in Milwaukee, and they invite him (and all the Cunninghams, plus Al, Potsie, and Ralph for some reason) to Hollywood to do a screen test, picturing him as the new James Dean. Richie reads scenes with Fonzie at the screen test, and that's when they get a look at Richie and decide he's the perfect apple pie boy next door, so they give him the contract instead. Fonzie's been learning to water ski in order to be in some movie (or something, it kind of falls apart here), and then he gets challenged by some beach guy to a contest. Fonzie, feeling down about losing the movie thing, agrees to jump over the shark even though he's just learning how to water ski.

And of course he makes it, because he's Fonzie. I'm sure everyone goes home happy at the end, except for whomever gets told to sit on it.
   469. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 23, 2017 at 05:43 PM (#5537442)
The most ridiculous part about the whole thing is that the Fonz does the waterski jump in a leather jacket.
   470. Man o' Schwar Posted: September 23, 2017 at 05:57 PM (#5537449)
He can't take off the jacket - it's like cutting Samson's hair. Do you want Fonzie to get eaten by a shark? Do you?

Think back to Season 1 of Happy Days - Fonzie wore just a regular windbreaker, not a leather jacket, in the first few episodes. He didn't become the Fonz until the leather was a permanent outer garment.
   471. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 23, 2017 at 06:10 PM (#5537455)
ABC believed the leather jacket made Fonzie look like a gang member, and forbade the character from wearing one... unless he was using a motorcycle, in which case a leather jacket became safety equipment.

Once the Fonz got a reaction, the show's producers quickly made sure that he was forever standing next to his motorcycle, polishing it, leaning on it, within eyeshot of it, etc. He even walked the motorcycle into homes or buildings on occasion, as an excuse to keep wearing it for the rest of the scene.
   472. Howie Menckel Posted: September 23, 2017 at 08:31 PM (#5537508)
my oldest sister, who is now 61, couldn't WAIT for the Happy Days premiere to run. there was a 1970s female fascination with the 1950s - sock hop and all.

I am 5 years younger, so watched the show only because we only had one TV and what else was there to do at night? I never really warmed to it; the clothes seemed so ridiculous to me, and the dopey catch-phrases as well.

473. cardsfanboy Posted: September 23, 2017 at 08:45 PM (#5537517)
my oldest sister, who is now 61, couldn't WAIT for the Happy Days premiere to run. there was a 1970s female fascination with the 1950s - sock hop and all.

I doubt it was just female. American Graffiti came out before Happy Days and was a huge success, and it was not a 'chick' flick in that way.
   474. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 23, 2017 at 08:48 PM (#5537519)
It’s been awhile obviously but my recollection as a kid in the 70s is that Happy Days was on the order of “water cooler television.” Parents liked it, kids liked it, even Mrs. Chachus my incredibly uncool 4th grade math teacher liked it! She hated everything!!!!
   475. PreservedFish Posted: September 23, 2017 at 08:56 PM (#5537522)
As a child in the 80s I definitely did not know that Happy Days was retro. I figured it was just an authentic document of its era.

This link is great.
   476. Srul Itza Posted: September 23, 2017 at 09:50 PM (#5537540)
I have in complete earnestness and seriousness argued that Tiffani Amber Theissen's birthday should be a national holiday.

The only show I ever saw her on was White Collar.

Anyone here ever see The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin?

It was not Fawlty Towers, but I liked it.

Of course, I am old enough to remember when they put "My Mother the Car" on television.

I have now pretty much stopped watching sit-coms. After 50+ years, all the jokes seem old. I sometimes catch a little Big Bang Theory, but not too much.
   477. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 23, 2017 at 10:01 PM (#5537547)
I mentioned Reg Perrin somewhere above. I liked it an awful lot, though I haven't seen it in 25 or 30 years.

We must be very close in age. I usually only try new shows now if multiple people tell me something is different and funny.
   478. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 23, 2017 at 10:06 PM (#5537549)
I have in complete earnestness and seriousness argued that Tiffani Amber Theissen's birthday should be a national holiday.

Never got the T.A.T. love. Not then, not now. Was always much more into Elizabeth Berkley, for all of her acting faults.
   479. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: September 23, 2017 at 10:14 PM (#5537552)
Oh CoB, you are so wrong. TAT is roughly a bazillion times sexier and better in every way than Berkeley.
   480. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 23, 2017 at 10:22 PM (#5537556)
Oh CoB, you are so wrong. TAT is roughly a bazillion times sexier and better in every way than Berkeley.

Shrug ... what can I say? Crazy, curly-haired brunettes are my thing ...

481. PreservedFish Posted: September 23, 2017 at 10:42 PM (#5537563)
Once I walked through the red light district in Amsterdam, where the prostitutes stand in these little illuminated windows, displayed like they're in a vending machine or something. Most of the girls were attractive, but they were not all bombshells. Some were downright unattractive. There was one woman in particular that was in her 50s, slightly overweight but no curves, had a jowly mannish face ... she looked like someone's Puerto Rican aunt. But there she was. Someone out there is bypassing the voluptuous youthful beauties to choose this woman.

To me, that's more or less on the level with preferring Elizabeth Berkeley to Tiffany Amber Thiessen. But it was certainly a lesson in subjectivity.
   482. Lassus Posted: September 23, 2017 at 11:14 PM (#5537593)
To me, that's more or less on the level with preferring Elizabeth Berkeley to Tiffany Amber Thiessen.

They are both rather equally average to me. Neither makes much of an impression.
   483. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: September 23, 2017 at 11:19 PM (#5537599)
But it was certainly a lesson in subjectivity.

It certainly is, you people are ####### cray-cray.
   484. Lassus Posted: September 24, 2017 at 07:41 AM (#5537632)
It was late and I sounded way more dismissive/hipstery that I intended. I actually don't consider either Berkeley or Thiessen my type overall, whatever that might be. Thiessen is probably slightly less so.
   485. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 24, 2017 at 09:59 AM (#5537642)
Checking my hard drive, a lot of my favourite UK comedies are sketch shows:

I liked French and Saunders - it seems they're reuniting for a Christmas special this year. I wasn't a big fan of Saunders's Absolutely Fabulous, but liked French's Vicar of Dibley. Another Britcom I like that hasn't been mentioned is Waiting for God.
Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.