Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Game of Thrones Characters as MLB Franchises

Jaime Lannister – Boston Red Sox
Disparagingly nicknamed the “Kingslayer,” Jaime Lannister has lived in the shadow of his father since he was born. A knight skilled in art of combat, he possesses his father’s viciousness, but lacks his tact and ambition. The opportunity to make a name for himself is ripe for the picking if he chooses to grab it. For decades, the Red Sox knelt at the feet of the Yankees as their hated rival dominated baseball. The Yankees spent more, won more and achieved royalty rarely reached. Then in 2004, the Red Sox finally usurped the crown and earned the respect they long sought.

A bit old, but season 3 is only a couple of months away…

Tripon Posted: January 26, 2013 at 04:55 PM | 114 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baseball, tv

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 29, 2013 at 08:10 AM (#4357175)
As GF said, the difference with Harry Potter is the setting. Rowling's genius was to combine a hackneyed chosen one story about wizards and witches with a classic English boarding school coming-of-age tale.

I can't remember where I read this, but someone made a smart point about Rowling. The boarding school story in English literature is heavily involved the maintenance of the aristocratic order. In Rowling, the bad guys are the ones obsessed with the old aristocratic order, and the good guys are the inclusive ones. However, you still have an effective higher class of humans who can do magic, and no one questions their privilege. So what you get is both the superior feeling of being part of the natural aristocracy combined with the good liberal feeling of standing up for equality.

With the Wheel of Time, you have a hackneyed chosen one story set in a fantasy world (a richly imagined one, to be fair) that doesn't have any particular resonances with other genres or other contemporary concerns. So you just have a hackneyed story with loads and loads of appendices. I don't really see any reason to believe it would make good film.
   102. NJ in DC (Now unemployed!) Posted: January 29, 2013 at 08:31 AM (#4357181)
Random thoughts while reading this thread:

1. I loved The Hobbit book hated all of the LotR books and could not get through them but loved the LotR movies and was lukewarm on The Hobbit movie.

2. Loved the GOT books, lukewarm on the tv series because the HBO budget just isn't enough for the way my imagination built the world I was reading.

3. Loved the Harry Potter books, hated all of the movies except Deathly Hallows Part 1, which was amazing.
   103. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 29, 2013 at 08:57 AM (#4357192)
Prisoner of Azkaban is easily my favorite of the Harry Potter films. Alfonso Cuaron created the cinematic version of Rowling's Hogwarts (all the other films, visually, are just attempts to rip off Cuaron) and found a resonant, kicky metaphor for puberty in all the magic stuff.
   104. Lassus Posted: January 29, 2013 at 09:17 AM (#4357200)
I missed only one of the Harry Potter films; but I can't figure out which one and I don't really want to watch all eight of them to figure it out.
   105. Paul D(uda) Posted: January 29, 2013 at 09:23 AM (#4357202)
You're still going to have to get over a high bar for the next major fantasy series, and there simply isn't another fantasy series that has the same level of depth as ASOIAF.

Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen has considerably more depth than Martin, but is probably unfilmable.
   106. McCoy Posted: January 29, 2013 at 09:48 AM (#4357216)
Sci-Fi series I'd like to see turned into tv series/films:

Dragonlance
Stainless Steel Rat
Biff the Intergalactic Hero
Harry Turtledove's alternate WWII

And that is about it and I also say this knowing full well that Biff would probably be a terrible series without somebody like Whedon coming along and doing for it what he did for Buffy.

I've read a lot of sci-fi but a lot of it is rather unfilmable or would be rather mediocre if translated to the screen.
   107. JJ1986 Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM (#4357241)
I missed only one of the Harry Potter films; but I can't figure out which one and I don't really want to watch all eight of them to figure it out.

Probably 5 or 6; they have different plots, but feel like exactly the same movie.
   108. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM (#4357263)
2-3 season Mistborn series.

This I think would be doable. Special effects of people flying/jumping and coins zipping around the air can work visually. Pretty concise writing from Sanderson, easily likable characters, unfortunate ending that's a bit over the top, but it could be a great series.
   109. The Good Face Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM (#4357282)

I'd love to see Bakker's Second Apocalypse filmed, but I doubt there's much of a market for a film about a sociopathic ubermensch trying to save the world from alien rape-monsters. Ok, maybe in Japan.
   110. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM (#4357375)

The Yiddish Policemen's Union. I'm heartbroken that the Coen brothers adaptation doesn't seem like it's going to come together.

I'd also like to see films adapted from Lethem's Gun, With Occasional Music and Dick's Faith of our Fathers.
   111. Chokeland Bill Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM (#4357386)
Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen has considerably more depth than Martin, but is probably unfilmable.

I'm through book 5. Book 1 is kind of sloppy but the other 4 have all been very good. I don't think it reaches the highs of Storm of Swords, but it's already kept its quality longer than ASoIaF. The sheer scale of things make it almost certainly unfilmable as written, but I read something a while back that Erikson wrote a pitch based on the Chain of Dogs sequence from book 2. That could probably work as a single film.
   112. Ron J2 Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM (#4357423)
Brandon Sanderson was more than capable as a fill in author, but there were just too many threads to pull together.

I think it's a remarkable achievement to have more or less satisfactorily dealt with most of the plot lines in a mere three books. It's pretty clear that Jordan could never have finished the series himself.
   113. Paul D(uda) Posted: January 29, 2013 at 07:47 PM (#4357832)
I'm through book 5. Book 1 is kind of sloppy but the other 4 have all been very good.

The actual plot of the series doesn't really get started until book 5 or 6. It's a challenge, but worth it.
   114. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM (#4357868)
It's not my number, man. It's from Entertainment Weekly - check the link.

You don't like it, take it up with them.

My numbers are from HBO. So nyah. Was merely correcting.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Infinite Joost (Voxter)
for his generous support.