Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, June 14, 2014

George “The Animal” Steele Mangles A Baseball

Unlike Tiger Jeets Singh…George “The Animal” Steele still has range of motion (according to the new TheraBite Sabermetric System).

As noted earlier, WWE Hall of Famer George “the Animal” Steele threw out the ceremonial first pitch at The Charlotte Knights - Columbus Clippers MiLB game last Sunday at BB&T Ballpark in Charlotte, NC as part of “Animal Day.” You can watch Steele throw the pitch and mangle a baseball in the video above.

Repoz Posted: June 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM | 275 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: wrasslin'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 
   101. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 21, 2014 at 01:36 PM (#4755248)
Pretty bad PPV. Random thoughts as follows:

Jericho v. Bray-Was really excited about this and thought the match was terrible in the moment. However, I re-watched this morning (my feed was choppy during this match and stopped right after so I had to finish the PPV this morning and decided to rewatch) and it was...ok. They botched a gutbuster spot and the DDT on the apron. Crowd wasn't that into it despite Jericho's repeated "COME ON!"s. Bray has such an awesome entrance, look and presence but I'm still waiting for him to have a great feud. If they had put him over Cena that would have been huge. Still pissed about that.

Ambrose v Rollins-As a network subscriber, I like what they did. Rather than give us the match now and then again at Summerslam with a stipulation they built towards it. If you are someone still buying individual PPVs (why?!) then yeah this sucked, but I thought it worked as a build. Could have done without the car stuff at the end. Hate almost all car scenes.

Main Event-Reigns is completely overrated and the main event scene is very stale. The superpunch is a stupid ####### finisher and his spear doesn't look as good as some of the great spears of the past. Can't wait for Lesnar to be back.

Miz Win-I enjoyed this a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. Miz's victory/celebration was great.
   102. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: July 21, 2014 at 02:47 PM (#4755298)
I understand what they're doing with Ambrose-Rollins; building up to a bigger event, fair enough. You could've had them go for 10 minutes ending in a double-DQ/count out or something like that. As a Network subscriber I wasn't so upset but if I had bought a ticket to the event I would've been pissed (I get "card subject to change" but this was basically the main event for some folks; it's certainly the hottest feud). They could've saved the "Ambrose gets thrown out of a building" angle for Raw.

I'm not following WWE TV so can someone explain Paige's character to me? I saw a bunch of her in NXT and she got over as a no-nonsense female wrestler. Last night she came off as timid, almost afraid to hurt AJ. It was weird to watch.

Bummer that the WWE has no idea what to do the Wyatts so they've decided to constantly job them out. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Bray and Harper/Rowan get wins at Summerslam though; yay 50/50 booking. The entire midcard gets put through this to the point that nobody cares about them anymore.

Rusev/Swagger's entertaining and I'm glad they're continuing that feud.

I would bet money that Lesnar is returning tonight to challenge Cena at SS.
   103. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: July 21, 2014 at 02:52 PM (#4755302)
I did not watch the entire card because I was only interested in a few matches but my thoughts:

USOs versus the Wyatts was great, and as I've said before, I can't stand the USOs. But how long can they keep feuding? And what's the point if the Wyatts keep losing? Luke Harper gets my vote for Most Improved. If it weren't for the lack of tag-teams I'd say he should ditch Rowan and go on his own as a big man villain.

I am fine with delaying Ambrose versus Rollins but if you hate Battle Royales, that may have been the only reason to tune in last night.

The Miz...well. Yeah. I should've known. I did love the look on Ziggler's face, though. And I thought Cesaro and Kofi had some excellent spots. Why can't these two feud?

104. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: July 21, 2014 at 05:09 PM (#4755367)
I thought the PPV was decent. I agree Ambrose vs. Rollins should've been a longer double DQ match. The Jericho/Wyatt feud is bland and killling Wyatt's heat. The Wyatt family got shutout last night. The de-push of Cesaro is odd. Him no longer using the "Cesaro swing" is weird like when Scott Steiner stopped using the "Frankensteiner."
   105. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 21, 2014 at 05:17 PM (#4755373)
The de-push of Cesaro is odd. Him no longer using the "Cesaro swing" is weird like when Scott Steiner stopped using the "Frankensteiner."

They were trying to get him over as a heel and ISTM they thought it didn't make sense for a heel to have a move the entire crowd loves.

I would bet money that Lesnar is returning tonight to challenge Cena at SS.

Makes sense.

I'm not following WWE TV so can someone explain Paige's character to me? I saw a bunch of her in NXT and she got over as a no-nonsense female wrestler. Last night she came off as timid, almost afraid to hurt AJ. It was weird to watch.

Her storyline with AJ has them as..."frienemies" (her and Michael Cole's words, not mine).
   106. Canker Soriano Posted: July 21, 2014 at 08:59 PM (#4755459)
I'm giving AJ/Paige some time, because it's just so odd that at least it's interesting. They've got a horde of female talent down in NXT, and they could build a credible division of 6-8 women by calling them up. But that would mean pushing the Total Divas into the background, and who would want to see actual wrestling when you could watch bimbos roll around in tight outfits.

They were trying to get him over as a heel and ISTM they thought it didn't make sense for a heel to have a move the entire crowd loves.

Yeah. I'm not sure why they pushed him as a heel, though I suspect they were building towards a program with Bryan and needed a heel who could go with him in the ring. It's looking like a giant missed opportunity, like Sandow was last year. They ought to put Sandow and Cesaro into a team and just let them beat the crap out of everyone as a couple of disenchanted wrestlers sick of it all.

I'm glad to see they're bringing Lesnar back, but it presents problems. If Cena wins, then it's just LOL Cena wins and Lesnar loses whatever heat he still has left from ending the Streak. If Lesnar wins, he can't disappear from TV again. You can't have a champion who only shows up to wrestle one out of every 3 or 4 months. But you can't really end the card on (arguably) your second biggest PPV of the year with a DQ or other schmozz finish.

If they've gotten a commitment out of Lesnar for more days, then I'm fine with it. But my fear is that they're booking themselves into a corner, and the only way out is going to be super Cena again.

107. Chokeland Bill Posted: July 21, 2014 at 10:38 PM (#4755527)
Cena's losing to Lesnar. They're building up Lesnar to put over someone at WM 31, presumably Reigns. If they don't want to keep the belt on him, they'll have Rollins cash in at NoC or something.

Paige turned heel tonight, which is probably where she belongs.

Since the Shield breakup, Ambrose has arguably been the strongest guy on the roster. Really taking advantage of his time to shine. Rollins has actually looked the worst of the three, but that might be because he's been up against Ambrose.
   108. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 21, 2014 at 10:57 PM (#4755537)
I'm still bothered by how many of Ambrose's punches are just a bit too wild and don't even look like they come close to connecting. Think he needs to tone that down. Also, I know he's Mr. Lunatic Fringe, but I could do without the spittle. Other than that, good to go.
   109. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM (#4755542)
Brock and Heyman are so ####### awesome man. Even when you know they're coming. So, so, so good.
   110. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: July 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM (#4755698)
I like Big E and Kofi Kingston as a team but will be throughly unimpressed if they bring back the Nation of Domination.

I agree about Ambrose's wild punches and spittle but he is one of the best on the roster and its nice to see he hasn't turned into a jobber in the Rollins feud
   111. andrewberg Posted: July 22, 2014 at 01:06 PM (#4755716)
Brock and Heyman are so ####### awesome man. Even when you know they're coming. So, so, so good.

That was one of Heyman's best speeches. I am very excited to see Brock pummel Cena. I doubt he works on a weekly basis, but if they can get him to show up to the PPVs and at least one Raw per month, he can be built up to such a huge champion by WM 31 that beating him will immediately get someone over.

I like Big E and Kofi Kingston as a team but will be throughly unimpressed if they bring back the Nation of Domination.

The best stories recently have been rooted in a kernel of reality. As mentioned in The Atlantic last week, there is at least a kernel of reality (and probably a lot more) to the notion that WWE is uncreative and stereotypical in booking black wrestlers. I wish they came up with something like this without public prodding, but I am at least interested to see them trying something different. I'm also glad that they chose 3 guys who, while not perfect, all have something unique to offer.
   112. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 22, 2014 at 01:15 PM (#4755726)
As a black WWE fan who knows several other black WWE fans...we all rejoiced at that Xavier Woods moment.
   113. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: July 22, 2014 at 01:26 PM (#4755736)
I read the article in the Atlantic and it was well done. If handled correctly, Woods, Big E, and Kofi teaming could be interesting. I just don't want to see a return to the Attitude Era Factions or as the commentators would spout Factions!!! Factions!!! The Nation of Domination! Los BorIcuas! Disciples of the Apocalypse! (yawn)
   114. andrewberg Posted: July 22, 2014 at 01:36 PM (#4755748)
I read the article in the Atlantic and it was well done. If handled correctly, Woods, Big E, and Kofi teaming could be interesting. I just don't want to see a return to the Attitude Era Factions or as the commentators would spout Factions!!! Factions!!! The Nation of Domination! Los BorIcuas! Disciples of the Apocalypse! (yawn)

There were multiple iterations of the Nation of Domination, and that was definitely the worst part. I don't think we're going to get an exact re-hash anyway. I can see why that would be the first thing anyone's mind goes to, but I am hopeful that they can be more creative than that.
   115. Random Transaction Generator Posted: July 22, 2014 at 02:14 PM (#4755766)
I used to watch the PPVs (friend had a cracked satellite) and RAW back during the Attitude era, and I've watched maybe 5 minutes every month in the past year or two when I'm flipping around the Canadian sports stations, so I'm only slightly familiar with the story lines and the characters/performers.

I caught the end of the womens tag team match, and when the tall, pale woman (Paige?) blind-sided her partner (AJ...who I remember seeing in the promos for RAW/Smackdown and thinking "Damn, she's cute.") I watched for another minute or two. I was struck by how wonderfully EVIL Paige acted during that bit. She seemed to exude a fantastic/crazy anger with her "MY HOUSE!" (?) roars, and the look in her eyes really sold it. Is she generally that good a performer? I never really like the women division when I watched (except for Lita when she hung around the Hardy Boys, and Trish Stratus in her prime), but that really caught my attention.
   116. andrewberg Posted: July 22, 2014 at 02:28 PM (#4755771)
Paige is very young and comes from a family of wrestlers/promoters in Norwich. She had a really good run in WWE developmental (NXT) as the women's champion, but got watered down and square-pegged into a top face role when she came to the main roster. She SHOULD be a really talented, charismatic, dangerous heel, but she has never had that chance on a big stage until now. I fully believe she will be a big star- maybe big enough to really change women's wrestling in WWE- but there are no guarantees.
   117. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: July 22, 2014 at 02:47 PM (#4755789)
There is talk Mark Henry could join Woods, Big E, and Kofi. Anybody but Henry...SD Special Delivery Jones...JT Smith....Koko B. Ware...Akeem the African Dream...just...not...Mark..Henry!
   118. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: July 22, 2014 at 03:00 PM (#4755800)
Why? Because Mark Henry is the best and you don't want him weighed down by anyone else? I can buy it. But this hitting with Henry making a surprise save of a new group of best pals would be sweet.
   119. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: July 22, 2014 at 03:18 PM (#4755819)
I've never been a Mark Henry fan. Now SD Jones on the other hand? He showed me some spunk in his 8 second loss to King Kong Bundy at Wrestlemania
   120. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 22, 2014 at 03:38 PM (#4755842)
Never been a Mark Henry fan and my WWE viewing now consists of KOTR '96-Survivor Series '04 and Royal Rumble '14-Present, but I recently came across this. As I watched I thought (a) Holy ####, Mark Henry was a main eventer?! and (b) Holy ####, Mark Henry can do an awesome promo!? (c) Holy ####, this 5 minute segment completely sold me on whatever feud this was?!

EDIT: Watching the promo again. This is legitimately good acting. Not even wrestling acting, but acting acting.
   121. Canker Soriano Posted: July 22, 2014 at 04:25 PM (#4755871)
They've got Titus O'Neill in their back pockets as well, if they wanted to add a big guy to the group who isn't doing anything these days.

One thing about the Attitude Era - they found stuff for the midcard wrestlers to do. There were a lot of feuds ongoing at the same time, and most people on the roster had at least something. You get so many guys now who just kind of float from match to match for no real reason. It seems like they're trying to do more with that recently - they don't have to be epic, but give a couple of guys a beef, stretch it for a couple of months, and let them blow it off at a PPV. Like they did with 3MB and the Matadors - it was silly, but better than just putting them out there against whichever other tag team has nothing else to do that week.

I was on board a while ago with the idea of a European faction - Cesaro, Barrett, Sheamus, Paige, maybe even Rusev. Bring Regal out from backstage as the mouthpiece. Their styles even work well together - all along the same stiff/tough line.
   122. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: July 22, 2014 at 04:40 PM (#4755885)
EDIT: Watching the promo again. This is legitimately good acting. Not even wrestling acting, but acting acting.

I must admit I watch the clip and enjoyed it. With the big pink jacket and shoes, Bray Wyatt could drop Harper and Rowan off and have Henry show them a thing or two about fashion
   123. Canker Soriano Posted: July 22, 2014 at 05:40 PM (#4755927)
I'm not sure Harper has ever washed that white T-shirt he wears. That thing should be able to stand up by itself by now.
   124. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: July 23, 2014 at 09:42 AM (#4756180)
Actually, Harper's shirt can not only stand up by itself but it could also compete in the 20-man battle royal

Cesaro certainly seems to be the WWE's lost opportunity in 2014. They should've turned him face at Wrestlemania since his situation reminded me of Brutus Beefcake's Wrestlemania 3 when he got kicked out of the Dream Team for Dino Bravo
   125. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: July 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM (#4756232)
I noticed that Harper had new jeans on a few weeks ago and I was a little disappointed.

Regarding the article in The Atlantic and Xavier Woods on RAW, I am interested in seeing where it goes. But they've changed up Big E.'s character a couple times just in the last few weeks alone so it's hard to have any confidence in creative doing anything. Hell, Xavier has jobbed in NXT twice in the last couple weeks alone, once to CJ Parker and once to Bull Dempsey. It has also occurred to me that assuming the belt goes to Brock Lesnar, Titus O'Neal is one of the few guys on the roster that could conceivably beat him, and he's not (yet) part of the proposed faction.

Even without that, the RAW was like Vince was on vacation and Trips scoured the message boards for ideas. He referenced his friend "Mark," Dolph beat the Intercontinental Champion, Zack Ryder wrestled on RAW for the first time in over 500 days and WON, they finally did something with Paige, Bray Wyatt looked dangerous for the first time in a long time, and John Cena, Sheamus and the USOs were nowhere to be seen.
   126. Random Transaction Generator Posted: July 23, 2014 at 12:35 PM (#4756275)

If I had seen that live, I would NEVER have guessed how it ended. I would have been completely convinced by his performance. That was awesome.
   127. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: July 23, 2014 at 07:19 PM (#4756574)
This is the part where I lobby for a wrestling or a wrasslin OT thread. Ok lobbying over.
I'd really like to sed more separation in the IC and US title. Make the US title kinda like how the TV was the #3 title in WCW. They kinda seem to do this but actually having rankings for each would be nice
   128. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: July 23, 2014 at 09:11 PM (#4756639)
You're already in that thread, Tubbs & Minni Minoso!!
   129. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: July 23, 2014 at 09:44 PM (#4756654)
Yes but eventually this thread will be closed like the Daniel Bryan/YES!/Pirates thread which went to something like 4 pages worth of comments. I want a separate OT thread for wrestling like they have for soccer, politics, etc. If not for me then for Minnie Miñoso...
   130. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: July 23, 2014 at 11:01 PM (#4756693)
I'm not sure what the protocol is for asking permission to have an OT thread. Obviously it won't be as popular as the other ones, but I think there's enough of a demand for it. Plus sometimes I am rather desperate to talk about wrestling intelligently since I don't have any smark friends. I like reddit for news, goings-ons and commentary, but I'd rather discuss it with you guys.

How about the first person who notices that this thread is closed submits Randy Poffo's bb-ref page? That way we create an OT wrestling thread while still being baseball-related. Otherwise we keep going here.
   131. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: July 24, 2014 at 07:44 AM (#4756758)
I didn't realize the Yes/Pirates thread was officially closed. I figured enough time had passed without a comment that peeps just jumped on the George Steele thread when it was posted.

Anyway, I don't want to discourage posting here (I was especially enjoying NJ's old ppv thoughts), but if anyone's desperate for a wrestling message board fix, I really recommend Pro Wrestling Only. I've unfortunately lurked and/or participated in many wrestling board over the last fifteen years, and PWO has the best substantive discussion I've come across, for both current WWE and everything that's come before.
   132. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: July 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM (#4756849)
I am watching Main Event. It's almost always uninteresting if not pointless (Seth Rollins v. Fandango??) but it's notable for Kofi and Big E.'s first match-up with Xavier as manager. They faced Titus O'Neal and Heath Slater. I find this odd not just because they are going against Titus, but given the promos with Titus and Heath before and after the match, they seem to be pushing that team more than Kofi/Big E, despite (SPOILER) losing to them.

But Xavier seems to be taking to his new role very well and I'm glad for that. Seeing him job on NXT was getting ridiculous.
   133. Tubbs & Minnie Miñoso don't fear Sid Monge Posted: July 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM (#4756897)
How about the first person who notices that this thread is closed submits Randy Poffo's bb-ref page? That way we create an OT wrestling thread while still being baseball-related. Otherwise we keep going here.

Sounds good, Dock.

A week or so ago when Fandango was commentating Dolph Ziggler's match, he did more to put over his character just with his comedic using his name in the third person. "Sometimes Fandango like blondes, sometimes Fandango likes brunettes.". "You think Fandango is gonna blow his cover and talk about that?"
   134. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 30, 2014 at 02:39 PM (#4760573)
Currently watching New Year's Revolution 2005. The last few months of PPVs have been pretty brutal. Snitsky? Some white (literally white) guy whose name I don't remember? Luther Reigns? Mark Jindrak?
   135. The District Attorney Posted: July 30, 2014 at 03:22 PM (#4760651)
Hey, if you need more Snitsky in your life, set your DVR to record TNA Impact...

Wait, what's that now?
   136. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:44 PM (#4761556)
The actual rumble portion of Royal Rumble 2005 was a lot of fun. One of the interesting aspects of just watching PPVs is trying to figure out how/why guys are over. If someone is a great wrestler I can (kind of) tell, but if a guy is getting over because of promos/storylines it's difficult to pick up on that other than promo packages. Because of this it's been interesting watching the rise of Orton, Batista and Cena. Batista has a great look, but he's always had that great look and over the past few months he's become the most over guy in the company. Not sure what changed. Orton also has a good look and it appears the powers that be thought that was enough so they decided to push him to the moon as a face when it seems all fans really liked about him was his finisher (which is admittedly great). Watching a 100% over Cena is still disorienting.
   137. andrewberg Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:01 PM (#4761608)
Batista has a great look, but he's always had that great look and over the past few months he's become the most over guy in the company.

It seems like wrestling fans have been trained to go crazy for a badass powerhouse guy like that. Also, he benefited from a good story. When Orton split from Evolution, it was kind of clumsy and forced. When Batista slowly turned on HHH, it was much more organic and fans responded to it very well. He also had the benefit of going over HHH clean at 3 consecutive PPVs, which was a big deal at the time.
   138. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:03 PM (#4761615)
Dammit berg, he hasn't faced HHH yet! Thanks for ruining the next 3 PPV main events :-(

It seems like wrestling fans have been trained to go crazy for a badass powerhouse guy like that.

It's just weird to me that the initial reaction seemed to be "who cares" which is also the reaction for Jindrak, white guy, Reigns, etc. but at some point it became "OMGOIAJFIJEWAIOJFEWIA!!!!" I will chalk it up to the storyline as you implied though.
   139. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:09 PM (#4761628)
Big time heel turn from berg. Feel bad for NJ. Did you ever figure out who the white guy is?
   140. Canker Soriano Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:12 PM (#4761638)
I'm guessing it was Heidenreich. I think he was around that time.
   141. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:16 PM (#4761646)
Mordecai is the guy.

Which reminds me, for an all-time great, I don't think Undertaker has been involved in a feud that moves the needle for a few years now.

EDIT: Just read [140] and did a Google image search and yeah I might have been thinking of Heidenreich. I don't know. There's just this class of big white guys that are consistently on PPVs that are tough to watch.
   142. Chokeland Bill Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:40 PM (#4761682)
When did Undertaker start going part-time? I know of maybe 2-3 big feuds (not counting his Wrestlemania-only stuff like Michaels and HHH) 2005-forward, but I think most of his late career prestige might basically be just that great run of matches from Wrestlemania 21 or so forward.

I really wish WWE would put out DVDs/Network packages of all of the segments and matches of specific feuds. I hear nothing but great things about the 2008 Jericho/Michaels feud, but it's a pain to track down everything from it.

Having only watched for the past year or so, it's really hard for me to buy the idea of Orton as a face. His entire appeal is that he's a crazy slimeball.
   143. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:45 PM (#4761692)
Having only watched for the past year or so, it's really hard for me to buy the idea of Orton as a face. His entire appeal is that he's a crazy slimeball.

This is what's been so perplexing about the face Orton run. He preens around the ring like a heel and still does that stupid pose, which strikes me as a very BEHOLD MY GREATNESS heel pose. Everything about him says not just heel but classic heel, but the storyline is telling me he's a face. And the crowd just sort of sits through his matches, popping intermittently if he hits an RKO or chanting for the RKO when they haven't seen an attempt in a while.

EDIT: The matches are...uh...generally...um...not good, but I've enjoyed the promos and match finishes for this Heel Champion Bradshaw run.
   144. andrewberg Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:46 PM (#4761693)
Dammit berg, he hasn't faced HHH yet! Thanks for ruining the next 3 PPV main events :-(

Oh man, I'm sorry. I figured that was why everyone was cheering him.

All I remember about Heidenreich is that he hated caskets. I think he briefly joined the Road Warriors, too. That was weird.

Orton has always been a better heel.
   145. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:47 PM (#4761695)
I really wish WWE would put out DVDs/Network packages of all of the segments and matches of specific feuds. I hear nothing but great things about the 2008 Jericho/Michaels feud, but it's a pain to track down everything from it.

Yep, that was one of my dreams for the network. Specifically, playlists for entire feuds (like, say, CM Punk/Jeff Hardy). Thought Wrestlemania Rewind might serve some of that purpose, and some of them have, but even the better ones are pretty truncated recaps of the build to a match.

No Holds Barred is available to stream on netflix and I watched it for the first time earlier this week. Absolutely insane movie.
   146. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:51 PM (#4761701)
No discussion of TNA losing their TV contract with Spike and presumably going down the drain due to their unimaginable attraction to Vince Russo?
   147. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:03 PM (#4761723)
The finish to JBL-Show at No Way Out '05 took what I said in 143 to another level. I'm laughing uncontrollably right now.

EDIT: The brand split makes this time of year so confusing for me. JBL is WWE Champ (Smackdown). HHH is Heavyweight Champ (Raw). Batista (Raw) won the Royal Rumble (Raw&Smackdown; event). Then there was a #1 contender tournament on Smackdown which Cena won at No Way Out (Smackdown). Which would lead me to believe ok so Cena faces JBL. But the announcers are telling me (as No Way Out closes with Batista apparently starting a feud with JBL) that Wrestlemania will be either Cena vs. JBL or Cena vs. JBL vs. Batista. I get why (storyline) Batista would go after JBL since he's in a faction with the other champ, HHH. But if the Royal Rumble is supposed to decide who gets a title shot at Wrestlemania, then why have a Smackdown exclusive #1 contender tournament immediately after where the winner can somehow place themselves in the same position as if they won the Rumble?
   148. andrewberg Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:14 PM (#4761738)
Well the storyline was always that the RR winner got to choose who they would face at WM. That doesn't totally answer your question, but that's part of it.
   149. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:18 PM (#4761743)
The network put up the first roster draft (March 2002) this week and I watched about half of it (a poor habit of mine - I still have the back halves of WMXX, Clash of the Champions 7 (in a sweaty Fort Bragg) and a random SNME to get to), so I thought about asking how the brand split was faring three years later. Sounds like it was going as poorly as I remember.

The finish to JBL-Show at No Way Out '05 took what I said in 143 to another level. I'm laughing uncontrollably right now.

More than Vince blowing out his knees at the royal rumble?
   150. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:23 PM (#4761758)
Well the storyline was always that the RR winner got to choose who they would face at WM. That doesn't totally answer your question, but that's part of it.

Yeah, that part makes sense. But I don't understand how/why there was a Smackdown tournament to name Cena #1 contender when (at this point) Batista was being made to appear as as a potential JBL WM opponent. Why not hold that tournament after Batista (I assume) turns on HHH and chooses to face HHH at WM? The way it went down it makes the Rumble seem less important since Cena lost in the Rumble but got to the same point just a couple weeks later.
   151. andrewberg Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:29 PM (#4761773)
Yeah, that part makes sense. But I don't understand how/why there was a Smackdown tournament to name Cena #1 contender when (at this point) Batista was being made to appear as as a potential JBL WM opponent. Why not hold that tournament after Batista (I assume) turns on HHH and chooses to face HHH at WM? The way it went down it makes the Rumble seem less important since Cena lost in the Rumble but got to the same point just a couple weeks later.

Yet another problem with the brand split and dueling titles. I liked it better when they starting using the elimination chamber as the 2nd WM title qualifier at No Way Out.
   152. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 31, 2014 at 04:09 PM (#4761851)
I've enjoyed the promos and match finishes for this Heel Champion Bradshaw run.

Perhaps my favorite WWE line from the past decade was from Bradshaw circa 2005: "Since I became your champion, there have been no further attacks on U.S. soil."

Unless it was this Jerry Lawler bumper read: "Tonight's commercial-free episode of RAW is brought to you by Kentucky Grilled Chicken."
   153. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 01, 2014 at 09:43 AM (#4762377)
Watching Cena (more or less) play a black stereotype and be the most over person in the company is interesting.
   154. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 01, 2014 at 02:00 PM (#4762593)
Wrestlemania 21 was solid. Angle/Michaels, Money in the Bank and Taker/Orton were all excellent. I thought Taker-Orton was the best match of the night. Shelton Benjamin (for all the issues WWE may or may not have had with handling of black wrestlers they are trying REALLY REALLY hard to make this guy happen but he just doesn't have any charisma) running up the ladder was the moment of the night.

The dual main events were underwhelming. Batista-HHH was meh and it made me realize that I had no real memories of Batista as a singles wrestler prior to this match. Reminds of the way Reigns is booked right now. Cena-JBL just made no sense. JBL basically destroyed Cena for the entire match and then out of nowhere Cena hits a couple shoulder blocks, 5 knuckle shuffle, and an F-U and the match is over. What?!
   155. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: August 01, 2014 at 02:06 PM (#4762601)
akebonooooooooooooooo
   156. Canker Soriano Posted: August 01, 2014 at 03:09 PM (#4762657)
JBL basically destroyed Cena for the entire match and then out of nowhere Cena hits a couple shoulder blocks, 5 knuckle shuffle, and an F-U and the match is over. What?!

Welcome to the next 9 years of the WWE.
   157. Chokeland Bill Posted: August 01, 2014 at 03:54 PM (#4762682)
I wonder if one of the key reasons Cena's wrestling ability is so frowned upon, despite a long list of classic matches, is that his finisher sequence is really unconvincing. The shoulder blocks and 5 knuckle shuffle don't look like they could hurt anyone. His submission hold also looks pretty bad, though he's at least pretty decent at finding interesting sequences to apply it. It's not like the guy doesn't have plenty of other signature moves that are just fine. He's insanely strong, he should probably use more direct power moves.
   158. andrewberg Posted: August 01, 2014 at 03:59 PM (#4762689)
Cena has also improved in front of us. He got to the main event in WWE within two years of debuting there and it's not like he had a bunch of indy experience before going through their developmental. I always defend his wrestling ability now, but there were 2-3 years where he was one of the top guys in the company and he was bad as a wrestler. That tends to stand out and the memory sticks with fans.

It probably didn't help that he had to wrestle guys like the Great Khali a lot during that stretch.
   159. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: August 01, 2014 at 04:38 PM (#4762721)
NJ, what did you like about Royal Rumble 2005? I watched it last weekend and of all the Royal Rumbles I've seen since I've gotten back in, this was the least fun and interesting. Only the ending was remotely interesting and memorable, to me. The 2011 Royal Rumble, that I loved.

160. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 01, 2014 at 09:12 PM (#4762880)
NJ, what did you like about Royal Rumble 2005? I watched it last weekend and of all the Royal Rumbles I've seen since I've gotten back in, this was the least fun and interesting. Only the ending was remotely interesting and memorable, to me. The 2011 Royal Rumble, that I loved.

The first thing that comes to mind is the Paul London clothesline bump. Other than that (perhaps because of the way I'm watching) the Cena-Batista finale felt epic. I didn't know who would win as both guys had been built up as legitimate threats in the PPVs that preceded the Rumble. I liked the Smackdown vs. Raw moment. Enjoyed the Angle-HBK build. To be fair, I'm a guy who usually hates the Rumble (and a "traditional" Survivor Series) so I probably have a different perspective on it.
   161. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: August 02, 2014 at 11:38 AM (#4763041)
Thanks! The Paul London clothesline bump was the only memorable bit. I forgot about the Smackdown vs Raw moment (that's when the wrestlers suddenly took sides and faced each other, right?), and having not gone through that, it was totally lost on me. Kurt Angel/HBK was also fun, so maybe it's not as boring as I'm thinking. I'm also the guy who loves Royal Rumbles, and always seem to find things that stand out to me.

Watching last night's Smackdown. Paige is just owning her heel turn right now.
   162. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: August 02, 2014 at 12:13 PM (#4763046)
   163. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 03, 2014 at 05:01 PM (#4763528)
Just finished Backlash '05. Not sure if this is going to continue to be an issue, but the Batista-HHH main event was a relatively short 15 minutes and Batista looked GASSED. Not Big Poppa Pump at the '03 Rumble gassed, but gassed nonetheless. I thought the storyline of "Batista fears the pedigree" was kind of stupid as well.

EDIT: [162] Good link
   164. Conor Posted: August 03, 2014 at 07:23 PM (#4763571)
I agree that when Cena first really reached the top of the card, he wasn't a great wrestler (didn't HHH even use that in the build up to Wrestlemania in 2006?) and he kinda looks sloppy when he's in there with at least some of the stuff he does, but for the most part, most of the time he's in a main event match on a PPV the match is good to great. (matches against Kane don't count)

The best part about the network to me, is that I was bored last week, so I decided to randomly watch 2 matches that I hadn't seen yet, Bryan-Cena from Summerslam last year, and Cena-Lesnar for Extreme Rules in 2012. The Cena-Lesnar match was great, and so much different than pretty much any other match you'll see in WWE. I'm really hoping their match at summerslam is 80% as good.

When did Undertaker start going part-time? I know of maybe 2-3 big feuds (not counting his Wrestlemania-only stuff like Michaels and HHH) 2005-forward, but I think most of his late career prestige might basically be just that great run of matches from Wrestlemania 21 or so forward.

He's been part time for a long while. For the last 3 or 4 years he's been pretty much one match per year. I think he was feuding with Kane in the end of 2010, but since 2011, pretty sure he's basically worked Mania and I think there was a match after mania last year when he faced the shield, but it was in the week or so after Mania.
   165. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 03, 2014 at 10:13 PM (#4763628)
Eddie Guerrero question. Spring 2004 he was elevated to the title/main event scene for Smackdown. Crowd (from what I can tell) was really into him. Loses the title to JBL to begin Summer '04 and has since been mired in the mid-card or used as a show opener. The crowd still seems to love him. Is there an explanation for why he was demoted when he seemed to be doing well in the top spot?
   166. Good cripple hitter Posted: August 03, 2014 at 10:45 PM (#4763637)
Guerrero reportedly had personal difficulties when he was champion. He put a lot of pressure on himself and for that reason he either asked to lose the title or was demoted.

One news piece: "Guerrero’s championship reality, like many dreams come true, wasn’t quite what Eddie had hoped. He was expected to carry the Smackdown brand, and despite the fact he was drawing Hispanic fans, particularly in the Southwest, the rest of what it takes to make a wrestling company work just wasn’t in place. Guerrero took that failure as his own and wanted to be removed as champion"

Eddie talked about the pressure in an interview:

"It's a great responsibility being champion, as you're the one carrying the ball, and I found it very difficult. It was the first time I'd held the title and I don't think I was ready. I was ready to win the belt, but not for what lay ahead of me. I wasn't prepared mentally for what happens outside the ring - because I think that's where the real challenges lie. I was taking things like attendances and ratings very personally. I'm an extremist and that's one thing I'd like to change in my life. It's good to be hard on myself but not to the point where I beat myself up about things. And if I'm honest and look back at my mistakes then I was too hard on myself when I was carrying the title. I let things eat me up inside and I questioned myself when I shouldn't have. But it's a lesson learned and I won't make that mistake again."
   167. Rowland Office Supplies Posted: August 03, 2014 at 11:20 PM (#4763646)
Eddie beating Lesnar for the title and then diving headlong into the adoring crowd is one of my all-time wrestling goosebumps moments. I've watched this stuff all my life and I've never heard a crowd yell along with the 1-2-3 any louder.
   168. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 03, 2014 at 11:53 PM (#4763659)
[166] Thanks, that explains a lot.
   169. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 04, 2014 at 06:49 PM (#4764296)
Bradshaw-JBL II (I Quit) at Judgment Day was a lot better than their Wrestlemania match. Cena got more offense in in the first 2 minutes of this match than all of Mania. Not a fan of the way he magically was perfectly ok as soon as he got the I Quit though. I much prefer when guys sell post-match.

ECW One Night Stand '05 was fun. It felt like my HS reunion, everything good and bad about the old experience crammed into a short period of time. For as much as I was fascinated by the idea of ECW as a teenager, some of the "highlights" of that stuff are extremely difficult to watch as an adult.
   170. Rowland Office Supplies Posted: August 04, 2014 at 07:37 PM (#4764333)
I much prefer when guys sell post-match.

Benoit was the best post-match seller. He made it look like pure agony to have his arm raised. Ambrose is really good now.
   171. Chokeland Bill Posted: August 04, 2014 at 07:40 PM (#4764335)
Bryan-Cena from Summerslam last year

My favorite part of this match is the reaction from HHH right as the running knee hits. Full credit to Cena on that one: he sold that move better than anyone since.

One thing I've noticed watching a lot of the recent PPVs - there are several people who almost always have the front row camera-facing seats at almost every PPV. WWE employees, friends/family members, or just ridiculously dedicated fans?

Is the Cena-Punk feud the biggest/best feud to never get a match at Wrestlemania? I think things would have been better off if they had put them into a triple threat match with Rock at 29. That would have preserved some of the "once in a lifetime" element of 28 and probably increased the quality of the 29 match itself. You need a different opponent for 'taker, but I think they could have come up with something.
   172. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 04, 2014 at 07:52 PM (#4764344)
He made it look like pure agony to have his arm raised.

As far as I know his arm was legitimately injured during the first MITB match at Wrestlemania 21.
   173. Good cripple hitter Posted: August 04, 2014 at 09:00 PM (#4764374)
Is the Cena-Punk feud the biggest/best feud to never get a match at Wrestlemania? I think things would have been better off if they had put them into a triple threat match with Rock at 29. That would have preserved some of the "once in a lifetime" element of 28 and probably increased the quality of the 29 match itself. You need a different opponent for 'taker, but I think they could have come up with something.

Off the top of my head:

Piper vs Hogan in a singles match
Hogan vs Flair
Austin vs McMahon
Mankind vs Undertaker
Savage vs Roberts

Fantasy department:

CM Punk vs Austin (unlikely, but for a while it at least looked possible)

Randy Savage vs Shawn Michaels (Savage reportedly pitched this while he was in exile as a commentator, but got shot down)
   174. Conor Posted: August 04, 2014 at 09:05 PM (#4764378)
I would say Hogan-Flair doesn't really count, because they didn't have a huge feud in the WWF, did they? They did the house show stuff when Flair first came in, but it was never a big time feud on WWF television as far as I know. I did think of Hogan-Piper, but they at least had a tag match, depending on how you want to treat that. Punk and Cena have had some awesome matches in the past.

Austin-McMahon is a good one, though obviously Vince was never a full timer. Austin-Taker might be another good one, they wrestled a million times on PPV, and Summerslam 98 was a huge PPV, but unless I'm totally blanking they never worked at a wrestlemania.

I don't know if anyone is watching RAW right now but they are being so annoying shilling the network tonight.

My guess is they didn't want to do that because they wanted Cena over Rock clean without anyone else involved. If Punk got that match, I wonder if he leaves the company though.
   175. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 04, 2014 at 09:08 PM (#4764381)
Bradshaw-JBL II

That sounds like a unique match! And I thought Hornswoggle broke the time-spaced continuum by running through a concrete wall.
   176. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: August 04, 2014 at 10:04 PM (#4764419)
I don't know if anyone is watching RAW right now but they are being so annoying shilling the network tonight.

It's about time! If they didn't do the bare minimum (if even) of promotion the last six months, there's a chance they wouldn't be in as bad a situation as they are.

If you haven't, watch Cena/Punk from a Raw the month or so before Wrestlemania 29. Very good and would have been a great Wrestlemania main event. Punk/Taker was good (the only worthwhile match on that card, right?) but no thanks to the horrendous build. If Punk couldn't/wouldn't get anything out of that, I can't imagine who on the roster at the time (thinking realistically in what they would book) would have gotten anything better. Punk only earned the right to fight Taker because he won a crappy four way match on Raw! I was at WM29, so maybe that's why I'm particularly bitter about shitty builds to a crappy card. The previous Wrestlemanias were nothing special, either, (well, at least 27 and 28, haven't seen 25 or 26), so I was buying into a comment I read about how WMs are now better thought of as conventions with no real focus on build or matches. Then WM 30 was awesome and I remembered how to dream again.
   177. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 04, 2014 at 11:13 PM (#4764451)
I could watch Steph do promos and hand out pedigrees all day every day. She's so great.
   178. Rowland Office Supplies Posted: August 05, 2014 at 12:44 AM (#4764482)
I could watch Steph do promos and hand out pedigrees all day every day. She's so great.

She should bring back her dad's Kiss My Ass Club.
   179. andrewberg Posted: August 05, 2014 at 11:33 AM (#4764614)
The biggest rivalry without a WM match is probably something involving guys who spent more time in. Flair vs. X (Luger, Sting, Funk, Race, Rhodes, Steamboat). I know that's not in the spirit of the question but it is probably the true answer.

I think Stephanie McMahon, Paul Heyman, and John Cena are the most over heels in wrestling right now, at least by the measure of who most fans would pay money to see get their asses kicked. Stephanie hasn't wrestled in 10 years and wasn't much of a wrestler at that time. Heyman is a mouthpiece who never actually wrestled. And Cena is a face. Funny how these things work. In any case, the SummerSlam card is basically "Pay $9.99 to see Cena and Steph get their asses kicked," so they're embracing it.
   180. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: August 05, 2014 at 12:03 PM (#4764654)
Andrew, are you still keeping up with your wrestling blog and, if so, can I ask you to re-link it?
   181. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 05, 2014 at 12:19 PM (#4764675)
[180] Here ya go.
   182. andrewberg Posted: August 05, 2014 at 01:06 PM (#4764737)
Thanks NJ!

Just posted on raw. We are exploring new hosting possibilities and will likely add a podcast soon, but our inability to design or program anything is a hindrance.
   183. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: August 05, 2014 at 01:51 PM (#4764772)
Thanks, NJ (and Andrew).
   184. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: August 05, 2014 at 03:26 PM (#4764938)
I think Stephanie McMahon, Paul Heyman, and John Cena are the most over heels in wrestling right now, at least by the measure of who most fans would pay money to see get their asses kicked.

Adam Cole.
   185. andrewberg Posted: August 05, 2014 at 05:03 PM (#4765070)
Adam Cole babaaaaay.

FTFY.

I love Cole, but he is not drawing the money those others draw. At least not yet.
   186. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 05, 2014 at 06:07 PM (#4765120)
I try to give the WWE the benefit of the doubt, but...a ladder match to determine the custody of a child is really asking a lot in terms of suspension of disbelief.
   187. RJ in TO Posted: August 05, 2014 at 06:09 PM (#4765121)
I try to give the WWE the benefit of the doubt, but...a ladder match to determine the custody of a child is really asking a lot in terms of suspension of disbelief.

This is not even in the top 10 of ridiculous things they've done.
   188. andrewberg Posted: August 05, 2014 at 06:36 PM (#4765134)
There was an "afterball" on Hang Up and Listen (Slate sports podcast) this week about a study by Indiana University on lewd gestures, etc in wrestling. They mentioned that the study was done based on televised wrestling in 1999 and they pulled several quotes from Vince and Linda from the same era. Somehow they never made mention of the change (for better or worse) to PG programming, her Senate run, or the effect on the company and its sponsors. There is a great story to tell about the change in wrestling over the last 15 years, but they somehow only told the non-story about the fact that it was crude 15 years ago.

I think there is another interesting journalistic story about how pro wrestling has infiltrated other sports. You see pro wrestling belts all the time (Cespedes at the HR derby, various NBA champs). The Daniel Bryan Yes chant was all over college basketball last year. Every week, Raw shows local sports stars in the front row (to wit- Vince Young in Austin last night! ok, sports "figures" might be more accurate than "stars"). I think wrestling is less marginal than it has been in a very long time and Josh Levin from the podcast sounded out of date by treating it as being as counter-cultural and fringy as it was so long ago.
   189. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 05, 2014 at 08:07 PM (#4765158)
Summerslam 2005 was the best PPV in a while and all because the D.C. crowd was incredibly hot. I may be off, but I always hear about Chicago, MSG and (all of) Canada as hot crowds, but I've been really impressed by DC on a couple occasions now. A great crowd really enhances the action and a great wrestling crowd might be better than a great crowd in any other "sport" or sport.

The Eddie-Rey ladder match sucked. I don't consider myself an expert on the mechanics of matches, but that was a botchfest if I ever saw one.

Hogan-Michaels was entertaining as hell thanks to Michaels choosing to screw Hogan over.

Jericho-Cena felt like the first sign of what I see today where the "smart"/adult fans hate Cena and the kids love him. Halfway through the match there was a clear 50/50 split as exemplified by the "Let's go Cena! Let's go Jericho!" chants.

Watching this PPV after the ones that came in the preceding months makes me feel like there just isn't enough talent to support the brand split as of Summer '05. Some of it is a lack of talent and some of it is weird booking. I enjoy the hell out of the JBL character and promos, but he's no one's idea of a great worker. I feel like he should be feuding with better workers but for the past half a year or so he's been feuding with Cena and Batista. The result is that I'm happy/excited when he walks out, but by the time he's hit his 4th neckbreaker in a row followed by a short armed clothesline (which is distinct from the Clothesline from Hell as a finisher...somehow...even though it looks more painful) I start to check how much time is left on the video stream.

I know Edge is going to go on to become a main eventer, but it feels like other than the look Christian is a better worker and better on the mic, so I wish they would do more with him.

No idea why the Eugene thing is still going and, better yet, why a guy like Kurt Angle is wrestling Eugene at a Summerslam.

Also, no more Orlando Jordan, Carlito and Muhammad Hassan, please.
   190. Conor Posted: August 05, 2014 at 09:34 PM (#4765189)
Also, no more Orlando Jordan, Carlito and Muhammad Hassan, please.

If you just saw Summerslam 2005, then I don't think you need to worry about Hassan anymore. Was he even on that card?

The Eddie-Rey ladder match sucked. I don't consider myself an expert on the mechanics of matches, but that was a botchfest if I ever saw one

Its been a while, but wasn't there a point where Eddie starts asking where the (bleep) Vickie is?

A great crowd really enhances the action and a great wrestling crowd might be better than a great crowd in any other "sport" or sport.

Definitely agree with this, a great crowd can make a good show awesome, and a really good show incredible. The night after Raw is always my favorite show of the year.
   191. Chokeland Bill Posted: August 05, 2014 at 09:53 PM (#4765194)
I know Edge is going to go on to become a main eventer, but it feels like other than the look Christian is a better worker and better on the mic, so I wish they would do more with him.

I think the story is that they didn't really know what to do with Edge until he went to Vince with an idea about how to handle the MitB case, then he took off from there. I've only watched the Manias, but Edge has my favorite match of 22 and maybe 24 as well.
   192. Rowland Office Supplies Posted: August 05, 2014 at 10:41 PM (#4765219)
Christian has said that Vince McMahon just thought he was straight-up ugly. At one point Vince wanted to gimmick him as having unspecified legal issues that would entail having a blue dot superimposed over his face when he wrestled.
   193. andrewberg Posted: August 06, 2014 at 11:35 AM (#4765486)
Edge became much, much better on the mic as time went on. He had a run of a couple of years where Smackdown was usually better than Raw and he was the guy who carried Smackdown. His feuds with Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, and Batista when he was with La Familia are very underrated, in my opinion.

Christian is one of the greats of his generation at ring psychology. He can wrestle a great match against any opponent. He can wrestle a great match in which he only does a small handful of moves. He can believably win matches in many, many ways. I think that skill is extremely valuable, but maybe moreso outside of the main event because he can help others look really good. His program with Randy Orton a few years ago was classic based on the matches they had. I always hear other wrestlers say that Orton is one of the most talented wrestlers of all time but does not often channel that. Christian deserves a ton of credit as the guy who brought the very best out of Orton.
   194. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: August 06, 2014 at 12:00 PM (#4765522)
I think the story is that they didn't really know what to do with Edge until he went to Vince with an idea about how to handle the MitB case

What was the idea? Cash it in on an injured champ or one who had just wrestled? Maybe it just seems obvious in retrospect with ~90% of MITB winners exercising their right to a match that way, but wouldn't that always have been the idea?
   195. andrewberg Posted: August 06, 2014 at 12:12 PM (#4765534)
What was the idea? Cash it in on an injured champ or one who had just wrestled? Maybe it just seems obvious in retrospect with ~90% of MITB winners exercising their right to a match that way, but wouldn't that always have been the idea?

I assume that is a reference to how he paraded around with the case and referred to himself as a future champion. I remember he got the name "the ultimate opportunist" out of that. MITB is pretty inherently heelish as a concept, but since he did it first, it kind of stuck to him more than anyone and got him more heat.
   196. Rowland Office Supplies Posted: August 06, 2014 at 12:25 PM (#4765541)
Ziggler on Del Rio was my favorite cash-in. Hot day-after-'Mania crowd. Two guys who can go. Great stuff.
   197. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: August 06, 2014 at 12:26 PM (#4765542)
Edge became much, much better on the mic as time went on. He had a run of a couple of years where Smackdown was usually better than Raw and he was the guy who carried Smackdown. His feuds with Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, and Batista when he was with La Familia are very underrated, in my opinion.
vickie guerrero deserves a ton of credit for that run, too. more than edge, imo. edge was great, but vickie could bring an entire arena down with just two words. there was a time that she could turn anyone short of hitler into a face just by saying "excuse me".

Christian has said that Vince McMahon just thought he was straight-up ugly. At one point Vince wanted to gimmick him as having unspecified legal issues that would entail having a blue dot superimposed over his face when he wrestled.
vince is kind of insane.
   198. andrewberg Posted: August 06, 2014 at 12:34 PM (#4765552)
vickie guerrero deserves a ton of credit for that run, too. more than edge, imo. edge was great, but vickie could bring an entire arena down with just two words. there was a time that she could turn anyone short of hitler into a face just by saying "excuse me".

Good point.
   199. NJ in DC (Now with Wife!) Posted: August 07, 2014 at 07:22 AM (#4766130)
The announcer/crowd reaction to Ric Flair FINALLY coming off the top rope successfully at Unforgiven '05 was legitimately hilarious.
   200. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 07, 2014 at 08:35 AM (#4766144)
Flair flip
Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.