Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Grumpy Gossage Napalms His Bridges:BWitz:NYT (reg req.)

Has Goose Gossage at long last grumped his way to irrelevance? Gossage has not been invited to Yankees Old Timers Day. 

Maybe the biggest problem with his grumpiness is there’s nothing new: more complaints about computers and guys from Harvard who won their rotisserie leagues. However, the portrait in the article at well-rounded, and Goose is still one of the icons of the game. Gossage was the best of both words—he lit up the spreadsheet and was fun to watch.

He had never been out of the state until he boarded a plane for Sarasota, Fla., after the Chicago White Sox drafted him in 1970 and gave him an $8,000 signing bonus.

Shortly before he left, he borrowed his brother’s car and drove to his favorite spot, near the Wilson Ranch, where his father, who had died the year before from emphysema, used to take him to hunt rabbit and deer, and forage for arrowheads.

Gossage sat under a pine tree and cried.

“I was scared to death,” he said. “I thought Hank Aaron and all the greats put their pants on different, that they were fictitious characters that didn’t really exist. But through those tears I had a talk with myself, that there aren’t going to be any woulda, shoulda, couldas. When I made that commitment to myself, I felt this weight off my shoulders.”

puck Posted: June 17, 2018 at 01:14 PM | 103 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: old man yells at cloud, yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 20, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5696204)
SoSH, the core of my complaint is simple: All hitters should be given identical, rule-defined strike zones. There's no rational reason for giving bigger strike zones to some players and smaller strike zones to others.

Wait, do you think Aaron Judge and Jose Altuve should have the same-sized strike zone?

Come on, SoSH, you know that's not what I mean. It's why I added "rule-defined" to the above sentence. And Rule 2.00 defines it as:
"that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap"

Unless Judge suddenly becomes The Incredible Shrinking Man and Altuve starts taking Vertical Leap Steroids, that doesn't mean that their strike zones will be the same size.
   102. SoSH U at work Posted: June 20, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5696217)

Come on, SoSH, you know that's not what I mean. It's why I added "rule-defined" to the above sentence. And Rule 2.00 defines it as:

I hoped not, but I wasn't sure. That's why I asked. Identical but different is not really a thing.

I'm sure the Yankees are making the league aware that Judge is getting more low pitches called strikes against him than he should be, and asking that be brought to the ump's attention (while ignoring the fact that he's getting more upper strike zone strikes called balls). So it's not necessarily true that he has a larger* strike zone, rather he's thus far had one.

*Larger than the already larger, that is.
   103. SandyRiver Posted: June 20, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5696410)
"that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap"

This confirms my guess that the strike zone is 3-dimensional rather than 2. That "over the plate" could be a challenge for robo-ump. Think of breaking balls that are in the zone as they reach the front of the plate and out of it as they pass over the rear. (Or the less common high curves that do just the opposite.) Sidewinder sliders might do the same for inside/outside. Vertical sensors at all 5 corners? (Along with the horizontal ones for high-low)
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
phredbird
for his generous support.