Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Guitar video game hurt Zumaya’s arm

You’re almost as good as…ClefyB?

The Tigers are satisfied they won’t see a recurrence of the right wrist and forearm inflammation that sidelined Joel Zumaya for three games of the American League Championship Series.

Why? Club president and general manager Dave Dombrowski told WXYT-AM (1270) on Wednesday the team had concluded Zumaya’s injury resulted from playing a video game, not from his powerful throwing motion. “That was probably what was taking place,” Dombrowski later told the Free Press.

Zumaya, 22, was known to play “Guitar Hero,” a PlayStation 2 game in which a player uses a guitar-shaped controller to simulate the performance of popular songs.

Repoz Posted: December 14, 2006 at 01:26 PM | 150 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: products, tigers

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. shaftr Posted: December 14, 2006 at 11:48 PM (#2261733)
My most played game ever is probably Tecmo Super Bowl, followed by Halo 2. After that, it's a toss up between Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, Super Mario Bros 3 and Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow. I'm sure Gears of War and Rainbow Six: Vegas can be added to that list soon.
   102. Shredder Posted: December 14, 2006 at 11:53 PM (#2261739)
The only problem with the NHL games of that era was that it was so easy to score on the breakaway move. The NHLPA '93 version for Super Nintendo corrected this somewhat, but you couldn't edit your lines on that version. Still, that was the toughest one to play against the computer. And though head to head games with friends could still be close, we'd always end up with a score of like 15-13.

When they came out with the versions where multiple people could play seasons (i.e., you could technically play every game with every team if you checked all the boxes), my roommate and I went through a whole season and naturally met in the finals (we were also battling it out in the scoring race until a glitch in the game made the stats go all crazy). I swept him in four games, although each game was very close. I don't think we spoke for a week.
   103. My guest will be Jermaine Allensworth Posted: December 14, 2006 at 11:54 PM (#2261740)
Not one mention of Goldeneye? I still think it's better than Halo when it comes to multi-player free-for-alls.
   104. Danny Posted: December 14, 2006 at 11:56 PM (#2261744)
The only problem with the NHL games of that era was that it was so easy to score on the breakaway move.

That's why you switch to the manual goalie in head to head.
   105. Paul D(uda) Posted: December 15, 2006 at 12:16 AM (#2261763)
Not one mention of Goldeneye? I still think it's better than Halo when it comes to multi-player free-for-alls.

I'm with you on this one. I'm not sure why Goldeneye appeals to me so much more than any other first person shooter. Lots of games have tried stealth aspects and the like, but Goldeneye is just so damn fun...
   106. CrosbyBird Posted: December 15, 2006 at 12:19 AM (#2261769)
I'm sure for those that play it it is a blast. But that doesn't change the fact that you look stupid doing it.

That's the thing. You're taking an activity that you did when you were a kid, and didn't care about how goofy you looked, and sneaking a way to distract you so you're that free and comfortable again.

That's a sign of a great experience. When you know you must look pretty stupid but you don't care and you lose yourself in just having a blast. It's why lots of people drink alcohol to get "dancing courage."

Dance Dance Revolution is an incredible game for the same reason. Although you would be surprised. At the crazy difficulty levels in both games, a spectator with any idea of what is going on can't waste time from marvelling at what you're doing to spend much time considering how goofy you look.
   107. Shredder Posted: December 15, 2006 at 12:24 AM (#2261778)
I too enjoyed Goldeneye immensely.
   108. mike f Posted: December 15, 2006 at 12:56 AM (#2261813)
Elite Beat Agents just came out for DS recently and it is excellent as well.

That game is probably more embarassing than GH, but it's amazingly fun. Frequency and Amplitude for the PS2 are two more good music based games. Those types of games are my crack. I lose interest in anything with a story, but I'll tap at circles on my DS to Skater Boi for hours.
   109. Greg Maddux School of Reflexive Profanity Posted: December 15, 2006 at 12:57 AM (#2261815)
I was at best buy the other day and saw a doctor in scrubs and what appeared to be his accountant wailing away at the in-store guitar hero. I was laughing my head off.

I saw that, too...
   110. Jake Luft Posted: December 15, 2006 at 01:41 AM (#2261846)
Garth,
You didn't betray Nintendo. Nintendo betrayed us! I faithfully bought an N64, too, and then Nintendo decided they were only going to put out one decent game every three months. Meanwhile, my PS friends were getting hundreds of titles a month! Thankfully Microsoft saved us all with the beautiful XBOX and 360. ...

Anybody here get through Gears of War on insanity level yet? I did hardcore on co-op mode and by myself and now I'm trying to trying to play it solo.

For the record, Halo 2 was good, but Gears makes it look like a game of Hopscotch.
   111. Robert S. Posted: December 15, 2006 at 01:42 AM (#2261848)
That game is probably more embarassing than GH, but it's amazingly fun. Frequency and Amplitude for the PS2 are two more good music based games. Those types of games are my crack. I lose interest in anything with a story, but I'll tap at circles on my DS to Skater Boi for hours.

Oh, man, have you ever played the original - Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! - version of the game? It makes EBA look like Die Hard. Import-friendly, like Rhythm Tengoku, to boot.
   112. Chris Dial Posted: December 15, 2006 at 02:48 AM (#2261908)
i am glad.
   113. Chris Dial Posted: December 15, 2006 at 02:48 AM (#2261909)
i am glad.
   114. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:06 AM (#2261928)
For all you Civ dorks, I have Railroad Tycoon 2 and 3 on my computer. Its not a good idea.
   115. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:12 AM (#2261935)
The best game nobody ever played was Descent Freespace II. What an AWESOME AWESOME game. Great music, great gameplay, great graphics, greatest story line... frak.

I wish I had a playstation so I could play Pawapuro.
   116. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:15 AM (#2261940)
Here's the ultimate nerd game though (besides Civ, which ruined my high school social life along with my snarky demeanor and the school's racial discrimination against Asians)

FOOTBALL MANAGER.

Biggest nerd game EVER.
   117. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:18 AM (#2261943)
What is Gears of War? i can't afford a console.

Also, FPS's on consoles are no go for me. If I want to kill something, get me a mouse and keyboard.

P.S. - EA Battlefield - great game, tech issues up the WAZOO
   118. Juan V Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:20 AM (#2261945)
#117, couldn´t agree more. I´ve found myself screaming "PASS THE #### BALL, YOU ####!" to a little white dot on my computer screen more than a few times.
   119. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:23 AM (#2261949)
#117, couldn´t agree more. I´ve found myself screaming "PASS THE #### BALL, YOU ####!" to a little white dot on my computer screen more than a few times.

Yeah I know. Or the krappy corners my guys seem to take even though I set specific instructions.

My team is so damn good at set pieces though. I can't score without them.
   120. Robert S. Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:37 AM (#2261959)
What is Gears of War? i can't afford a console.

It's a third-person shooter from Epic for Xbox 360.
   121. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:39 AM (#2261962)
It's a third-person shooter from Epic for Xbox 360.

Is it like Metal Gear Solid for White people, or is it something else?
   122. Fly should without a doubt be number !!!!! Posted: December 15, 2006 at 04:01 AM (#2261975)
I just can't get into Football Manager. I'm trying, but it's not working. I'll stick with OOTP and FIFA.

NHLPA 93 was the last NHL with fighting (for a while), and it's because the NHL made them take it out, along with the blood. That's what's wrong with the scene in Swingers: You can't make Wayne's head bleed in an NHL game without fighting.
   123. WillYoung Posted: December 15, 2006 at 04:03 AM (#2261976)
Football Manager is pretty sweet. Some of my students downloaded it on the work computer and we played that thing religiously for about a month until I, being the boss, finally had to delete it.
   124. Juan V Posted: December 15, 2006 at 04:16 AM (#2261983)
Valeri Bojinov (well, his virtual self) is the main subject of my previous rant. He seemed to want to dribble past the whole opposing defence every time, even with teammates at more advantageous positions (and against my team orders of short passing and little running with the ball). I finally had enough and sold him.

For some reason, I never really warmed up to OOTP (I prefer Baseball Mogul). I´ll probably give it another try sometime, though.
   125. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: December 15, 2006 at 07:04 AM (#2262081)
I'm 19, and I was lucky enough to grow up with a NES. We also had an Odyssey (SP?) that had some pretty fun games -- I thought it was after the Atari but I think someone in this thread said it was before?

The best game of all time remains Crystalis for the NES, basically a Zelda knockoff, but OMG so much fun.

The next system I had was the N64, and I remember my mind being blown the first time I saw Mario 64. Anyone that doesn't think Ocarina of Time is one of the greatest games of all time clearly does not deserve to live.

I've also spent countless hours playing the GTA and MGS series on PS2 as I've gotten older, and for the Cube I spent most of my time on Zelda and Monkeyball.

Now I have an effing Wii sitting in my house, but I can't play it because it's a Christmas gift. I swear, I'll be shocked if I don't get a semi the first time I play the new Zelda. Sweet jebus, actualy swinging the sword? Oh baby.

It's going to be even more amazing once the Mario Sports games start coming out for it (seriously, play Mario Baseball, so effing fun with someone else). I know it comes with Wii Sports, but these games are going to be so much ####### fun, and I can't even imagine how good Mario Tennis or Mario Kart are going to be. The thought of a new Soul Caliber on the Wii should warm even the darkest of hearts as well.
   126. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: December 15, 2006 at 07:18 AM (#2262093)

Perfect Dark, done by the same people, was amazing as well, and in some ways I liked it quite a bit more.

Also, for those with the Wiil, on IGN they have Goldeneye as a virtual console release sometime next year.
   127. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: December 15, 2006 at 07:21 AM (#2262096)
Is it like Metal Gear Solid for White people, or is it something else?

Definitely not Metal Gear Solid. AFAIK, it's not stealth at all, and while this doesn't have to do with that point, there's no way the storyline is nearly as strong.
   128. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: December 15, 2006 at 07:54 AM (#2262105)
As long as we're going Old School, anyone here ever play XOR's NFL Challenge?
   129. DCW3 Posted: December 15, 2006 at 07:58 AM (#2262106)
(seriously, play Mario Baseball, so effing fun with someone else).

This is the most addictive video game I've ever played, even if I do get my ass stomped every time I play it.
   130. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: December 15, 2006 at 08:03 AM (#2262108)
Mario Baseball is no Mario Strikers. Best soccer game ever to have giants lizards randomly breathing fire at your players.
   131. DCW3 Posted: December 15, 2006 at 08:11 AM (#2262110)
Well, Mario Baseball probably wouldn't be quite as much fun if I wasn't such a huge baseball fan--half the fun my friends and I have playing it is deciding which actual major leaguers the players are analogous to. (Mario = Derek Jeter; Yoshi = Rickey Henderson; Waluigi = Randy Johnson; Bowser = Manny Ramirez; Magikoopa = Ozzie Smith; King Boo = Ronnie Belliard.)
   132. Good cripple hitter Posted: December 15, 2006 at 08:30 AM (#2262120)
4. HE'S ON FIRE!

I believe that no game developer has ever surpassed the joy that was caused by combining the Al Gore code with the code that let you dunk from anywhere on the court. Al Gore + somersault jam from his own foul line = pure joy.

I'm surprised at the turn that this discussion took. How can you have a video game thread on a baseball forum without anyone mentioning:

Baseball Simulator 1.000
Base Wars
Super Baseball 2020
Ken Griffey Jr's Baseball

And as far as retro games go, nothing will ever beat Earthbound for me:

"Dali's clock froze time! Ness can't move!"

and

"The annoying old reveler grumbled about today's youth! Ness's guts went down!"
   133. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: December 15, 2006 at 08:34 AM (#2262121)
This is the most addictive video game I've ever played, even if I do get my ass stomped every time I play it.

Seriously, I've never had more fun than playing this with my girlfriend. She's had my Game Cube for the last 6 months though, so I'm worried when I see her next week she's going to kick my ass and I'll lose my street cred.

Shy Guy may be my favorite character in the game. And that old man with the weird mushroom bat always comes through in the clutch. Diddy Kong = Juan Pierre? I love having guys like him in that game. I get on base with them and I just run my opponent to death. And Waluigi, while hilarious and a good pitcher, is so absolutely god awful at the plate and in the field.
   134. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: December 15, 2006 at 09:20 AM (#2262128)
Kyle, the old man is Toadsworth. He is a good man, and a must on any Mario Baseball lineup. And Shy Guy is great. The best is playing as him Mario Tennis and watching him run around and grunt. I'm not a huge fan of Mario Baseball, but it has some outstanding characters. Birdo with her ridiculous outfield range and the Blue Noki with its complete uselessness are also essential parts of any lineup.

"The annoying old reveler grumbled about today's youth! Ness's guts went down!"

I never played Earthbound, but I know Ness from Super Smash Bros. I've spent way too much time playing that game.
   135. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: December 15, 2006 at 09:27 AM (#2262130)
Anyone that doesn't think Ocarina of Time is one of the greatest games of all time clearly does not deserve to live.

Oh well, sucks for me! I'll just kick off now then!
   136. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:32 PM (#2262208)
You silly, silly people & your silly, silly obsessions.

Enough of this nonsense -- I'm off to the classic comics forum at comicbookresources.com to work on #11 in my 12 Favorite Comics Characters of All Time ...
   137. Super Creepy Derek Lowe (GGC) Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:39 PM (#2262212)
Every time I hear the name Guitar Hero, I think of that Foreigner tune "Juke Box Hero". One of my junior high classmates was really into that tune and made his own dance to it. He had the DJ at one of our dances play it five times, much to everyone else's chagrin.
   138. sasquatch83 Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:39 PM (#2262213)
I haven't been playing Guitar Hero as much as I should (I'm playing through FFXII instead).

But just to weigh in on RPGs, I thought Chrono Trigger and FFVI are probably my favorites. But the first two Shadow Hearts games are up there. If you haven't played them, they're tremendously entertaining.
   139. sasquatch83 Posted: December 15, 2006 at 03:42 PM (#2262215)
sorry - *I think.

Also, I'll take on anyone here at Goldeneye - it's been a few years, but I bet I can still hold my own.
   140. Jake Luft Posted: December 15, 2006 at 04:05 PM (#2262226)
Baseball Sim 1.000 was brilliant. Somebody needs to bring back the "Earthquake Ball."
   141. CrosbyBird Posted: December 15, 2006 at 04:08 PM (#2262227)
The best two RPGs ever are unfortunately not available on console.

Fallout and Planescape:Torment. Worth playing both even now, many years after release.
   142. CraigK Posted: December 15, 2006 at 04:21 PM (#2262237)
New Super Mario Brothers.

First hard Mario game since about Super Mario 3.
   143. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: December 15, 2006 at 07:47 PM (#2262425)
Pawapuro pwns all other baseball games.
   144. The Original SJ Posted: December 15, 2006 at 07:59 PM (#2262437)
there was a NES softball game that was pretty cool.

My sister and her fiancee just bought Nintendo DS's. so much cooler than gameboy or psp.
   145. Juan V Posted: December 15, 2006 at 08:08 PM (#2262445)
Ocarina is great, but it´s not even the best Zelda im my book: A Link To The Past!!!
   146. Shredder Posted: December 15, 2006 at 08:14 PM (#2262451)
there was a NES softball game that was pretty cool.

They had a great volleyball game, too. It was a Nintendo product, not a third party game. It was really fairly difficult and challenging. I'm not talking about beach volleyball (there were a couple of those games, too), but actual indoor volleyball, and I think you could play as men or women. Man, I miss that game.
   147. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: December 15, 2006 at 08:17 PM (#2262453)
Ocarina is great, but it´s not even the best Zelda im my book: A Link To The Past!!!

From the little I played that, that is an amazing game. I prefer Ocarina, but I never had a SNES either.
   148. Who Swished In Your Cornflakes? Posted: December 15, 2006 at 08:27 PM (#2262466)
I still break out Ken Griffey Jr. Slugfest every now and then. Heck, I've still got Roger Clemens Baseball on SNES. Mario Baseball is pretty great. Am I the only one who looks at the Nintendo characters and assigns appropriate baseball personalities to them?

I still have my copy of ESPN Baseball 2K5 with Giambi on the cover. In four years I managed the Angels to three World Series titles. In the same amount of time I got the Tigers to one and the Mets to two. I really like roster management.

I miss RBI Baseball.

Here's one I enjoyed immensely that I haven't seen mentioned yet... Microsoft Baseball 2001. Gameplay? I didn't care. I was too busy managing teams. Seeing Derek Jeter still hanging on as a Yankee with decent numbers at age 38 was an eye-opener, I can tell you.
   149. Paul D(uda) Posted: December 17, 2006 at 04:24 AM (#2263536)
First hard Mario game since about Super Mario 3.

Define hard? I think this might have been the easiest Mario game I ever played.

If you mean that it's hard to find all the extra levels and worlds, okay, I'd buy that, but the game itself is very easy.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.