Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, October 19, 2012

Hal Steinbrenner proud of 2012 Yankees

Strange Tales of the Now Usual: THE SOUND OF DOOM!

ga

New York Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner released a statement through the team on Friday:

“I want to thank our passionate fans for their support this season.

“We fell short of our singular and constant goal, which is a World Series Championship. However, I am proud of the accomplishments of this year’s team.  We earned the best record in the American League and were one of the four teams to advance to the League Championship Series, despite having to overcome and fight through a series of long-term injuries to a number of our key players.

“Make no mistake, this was a bitter end to our year, and we fully intend to examine our season in its totality, assess all of our strengths and weaknesses and take the necessary steps needed to maintain our sole focus of winning the World Series in 2013. Great teams—and organizations—use disappointment as a motivation for future improvements and success. In the days, weeks and months ahead, we plan to do what’s necessary to return this franchise to the World Series.

“Nothing has changed. Nothing will change. My family—and our organization—has a long-standing commitment to provide all of our fans a championship-caliber team year after year.

“We may have fallen short yesterday but we never feel sorry for ourselves and never make excuses. We already are beginning the process to find a way to win our 28th World Championship.

“I want to congratulate Mike Ilitch, Dave Dombrowski, Jim Leyland, and the Detroit Tigers. They certainly proved worthy of representing the American League in the World Series, and are well deserving of this honor.”

Repoz Posted: October 19, 2012 at 04:20 PM | 31 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. TerpNats Posted: October 19, 2012 at 04:30 PM (#4276815)
Perhaps the Yankees should run their version of the "Gratitude" ad the Lerners did, thanking their fans.
   2. The District Attorney Posted: October 19, 2012 at 04:31 PM (#4276816)
Hey, beats what Dad would have done. (Of course, Hank is allegedly the crazy one.)
   3. Swedish Chef Posted: October 19, 2012 at 04:32 PM (#4276817)
There's still hope that we'll hear from Hank.
   4. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 04:38 PM (#4276824)
“We fell short of our singular and constant goal, which is a World Series Championship. However, I am proud of the accomplishments of this year’s team. We earned the best record in the American League and were one of the four teams to advance to the League Championship Series..."

...and then we became stricken with panic after a three-game sample and moved players in and out of the lineup and up and down the batting order, turning to our backups at a number of key positions. And so we all but ensured that we would lose.
   5. Gamingboy Posted: October 19, 2012 at 04:43 PM (#4276826)
His father would be ashamed of him right now.
   6. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 04:46 PM (#4276828)
...and then we became stricken with panic after a three-game sample and moved players in and out of the lineup and up and down the batting order, turning to our backups at a number of key positions. And so we all but ensured that we would lose.

It was 7 games; they didn't hit for #### vs. Baltimore either.

In any case, with ARod, Cano, Granderson, and Swisher completely useless, they were done. Doesn't matter how you arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.
   7. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 04:51 PM (#4276834)
THIS IS LOSER TALK
   8. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 04:54 PM (#4276836)
Doesn't matter how you arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

It kind of does. They lost one game in 12 innings, and while that wasn't on Girardi, the 2-1 loss in Game 3 most certainly was. He sat his starting 3B and RF and then put on a display of incompetence in the 9th inning that was the worst I've ever seen.
   9. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: October 19, 2012 at 05:30 PM (#4276864)
He's proud of the True 2012 Yankees.
   10. Bruce Markusen Posted: October 19, 2012 at 05:58 PM (#4276884)
Ray, you never give up the talk, do you? The Yankees scored six runs in four games. That is somehow the fault of Joe Girardi. It's never the players' fault, is it?
   11. formerly dp Posted: October 19, 2012 at 06:28 PM (#4276896)
I would like to take this opportunity to say that I'm also proud of the Yankees. Making a Met fan feel bad for you is difficult work.
   12. Gamingboy Posted: October 19, 2012 at 06:51 PM (#4276909)
He's proud of the True 2012 Yankees.

AKA Ichiro, pre-injury Derek Jeter, the starting pitchers except for Game-4-of-the-ALCS CC and late-game Raul Ibanez.
   13. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 06:51 PM (#4276910)
Ray, you never give up the talk, do you? The Yankees scored six runs in four games. That is somehow the fault of Joe Girardi. It's never the players' fault, is it?

I didn't say that; in fact, I specifically absolved Girardi for blame in Game 1.

But, yes, if ever there was a series where a manager put his team in the best possible position to lose, this was it. Once again: he did not go to war with the same players who achieved the best record in the league. He went with backups.

Perversely, Chavez and Gardner sucked up 24 PA and went 0-24, without reaching base a single time. Not even ARod/Swisher/Granderson/Cano were that bad.

Brett Gardner went 0-8 after basically not seeing MLB pitching since April? I'm shocked.

And while Girardi pushed some of the right buttons with Ibanez, that became a curse as Ibanez was left to bat for himself against a lefty with the season on the line, Girardi believing in mythical magical clutch postseason gods.

14. depletion Posted: October 19, 2012 at 08:19 PM (#4276953)
But, yes, if ever there was a series where a manager put his team in the best possible position to lose, this was it.

No, question.
   15. SoSH U at work Posted: October 19, 2012 at 08:35 PM (#4276975)
But, yes, if ever there was a series where a manager put his team in the best possible position to lose, this was it.

Actually, it was the 2001 World Series. Alas, it didn't take.

Compared to Mr. Brenly in '01, Girardi was John McGraw.
   16. Dag Nabbit: secretary of the World Banana Forum Posted: October 19, 2012 at 09:16 PM (#4277031)
Oh, I'm sure you'd have people complain about how McGraw handled his team in the Series too. He should've pulled an obviously tiring Christy Mathewson in Game Seven* of the 1912 Series, he got outmanuevered by Bucky Harris in Game Seven of 1924 .....

*Actually it was Game Eight due to a darkness-called tie, but you get the idea.
   17. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: October 19, 2012 at 09:50 PM (#4277103)
I'm of the same mind as Hal, and I think this was a well-worded statement. The last week has been crushing and demoralizing for Yankee fans, but they had a very good year overall.
   18. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM (#4277256)
I'm of the same mind as Hal, and I think this was a well-worded statement. The last week has been crushing and demoralizing for Yankee fans, but they had a very good year overall.

Girardi and Cashman (I'm going to blame Cashman also because he specifically stated last night that he is heavily involved in the lineup decisions, including in this postseason) took a team with the best record in the AL after 162 games, and in their next 9 games turned it into a circus and a laughingstock and sent them into complete disarray.

That is pretty bad. Their year was good, but their finish was absolutely horrid.
   19. tshipman Posted: October 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM (#4277262)
Perversely, Chavez and Gardner sucked up 24 PA and went 0-24, without reaching base a single time. Not even ARod/Swisher/Granderson/Cano were that bad.

Chavez was their starting DH most of the season. He probably should have started at DH against righties. Your complaint is really with batting Ibanez against a lefty (.197/.246/.246 for the season).
   20. Walt Davis Posted: October 20, 2012 at 01:30 AM (#4277278)
Meanwhile, I've been wondering all day ... are there run-of-the-mill tales of the unusual? Wouldn't strange tales of the usual be more appealing anyway?
   21. PreservedFish Posted: October 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM (#4277324)
I kind of agree with Ray.

In any case, with ARod, Cano, Granderson, and Swisher completely useless, they were done. Doesn't matter how you arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Yes, with the way the team performed, Girardi probably couldn't have done a damn thing. But still ... it was an embarrassing managerial job.
   22. Tom Nawrocki Posted: October 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM (#4277325)
Chavez was their starting DH most of the season. He probably should have started at DH against righties.

Chavez was a much better hitter than Rodriguez over the course of the season, especially against RHP. Starting Chavez over A-Rod is perfectly justifiable.
   23. Tom Nawrocki Posted: October 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM (#4277329)
Oh, I'm sure you'd have people complain about how McGraw handled his team in the Series too. He should've pulled an obviously tiring Christy Mathewson in Game Seven* of the 1912 Series, he got outmanuevered by Bucky Harris in Game Seven of 1924 .....

If you assume every positive move a manager makes and every positive impact he has is automatic and obvious, then all we have to do is wait for them to make some suboptimal move, so we can call them "dumb." Looked at in that light, every single manager in MLB history has been a bad one.
   24. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM (#4277387)

Yes, with the way the team performed, Girardi probably couldn't have done a damn thing. But still ... it was an embarrassing managerial job.

I don't know. You can't fault the handling of the pitching staff; they did a stellar job. And that's well more than 50% of the tactical side of a manager's job.

He also pulled the string on that gutsy first Ibanez PH HR, which basically saved the ALDS.

He made some bad decisions, but there was a lot of good too.
   25. Fat Al Posted: October 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM (#4277401)
He also pulled the string on that gutsy first Ibanez PH HR, which basically saved the ALDS.

Sure. But having pulled a rabbit out of the hat once, he then proceeded to manage the entire Detroit series in a manner contrary to what he had, and would have, done all season. You can't be Joe Girardi all season and then turn into Dusty Baker for the last four games.
   26. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM (#4277420)
Chavez was a much better hitter than Rodriguez over the course of the season, especially against RHP. Starting Chavez over A-Rod is perfectly justifiable.

If we think their careers started in 2012, sure. But we have to go back eight years to find that same performance from Chavez, and we have to go back to never to find when Eric Chavez was a better baseball player than Alex Rodriguez.

But you're covering for Girardi, who didn't think Chavez deserved to start over ARod in Game 1 of the ALDS, or in Game 2 of the ALDS, or in Game 3 of the ALDS, or in Game 4 of the ALDS. Magically, in Game 5 of the ALDS, Joe Girardi suddenly thought Eric Chavez was a better baseball player. Girardi based his decision on 18 PAs from ARod, not on anything else. And when Chavez started going hitless, 0-4, 0-8, 0-12, 0-14, Girardi suddenly ascribed to the notion that it was just a small sample of at bats that Chavez wasn't hitting in - contra to what Girardi had just decided re ARod - and so he decided that Chavez still was his better option.

Girardi was flailing in the postseason, constantly. He was in over his head. He is a bad manager who managed badly, who went to war with his bench players, who turned a 95-win team into the Staten Island Yankees and a circus and left them in disarray.

Girardi on Chavez, before Game 4 of the Detroit series: "He got the barrel of the bat on Verlander." Got the barrel of the bat on him? He had two flies to center and a popup to SS. I don't know what Girardi was watching. And is that the standard now? Got the barrel of the bat on him?

Girardi was completely out of his depth.
   27. KT's Pot Arb Posted: October 20, 2012 at 03:56 PM (#4277537)
any case, with ARod, Cano, Granderson, and Swisher completely useless, they were done. Doesn't matter how you arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

They should all be waived.
   28. DKDC Posted: October 20, 2012 at 05:55 PM (#4277606)
#28andcounting
   29. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 20, 2012 at 06:07 PM (#4277620)
Sure. But having pulled a rabbit out of the hat once, he then proceeded to manage the entire Detroit series in a manner contrary to what he had, and would have, done all season. You can't be Joe Girardi all season and then turn into Dusty Baker for the last four games.

Agree, I'm not claiming he didn't make a bunch of mistakes. Just saying, there was a bunch of good along with the bunch of bad.
   30. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 20, 2012 at 08:35 PM (#4277691)
Sure. But having pulled a rabbit out of the hat once, he then proceeded to manage the entire Detroit series in a manner contrary to what he had, and would have, done all season.

Yes. Ibanez hit for a .618 OPS in August. He was a 40 year old DH who couldn't hit lefties at all and had lost his job. He opened September in a 1-24 skid. He had hit to a .496 OPS against LHP in 2012; to a .585 OPS against LHP in 2011; to a .728 OPS against LHP in 2010. On September 15th, any manager who had proposed that Ibanez should be hitting instead of Alex Rodriguez with the game on the line against a LOOGY would have been laughed out of the room; one month later, there Girardi was, doing just that against Phil Coke in the ALCS, his season going down in flames. Girardi let what he saw last dictate what he did next. You cannot manage that way and deserve to keep your job. You simply cannot. If the move would have been insane a month ago, it is insane now.

I mean, doesn't the 2012 postseason of Robinson Cano show anyone the silliness of all of this? Cano batted something like .615 in the stretch heading into the postseason. He then went 1-32 in the postseason. This is a player who had hit to a 1.150 OPS over his last two postseason series. Do people not see the absurdity of believing that the postseason itself is a magical driver of good or bad performances? Do people not see that in-season splits and momentum and hot hitters are not not meaningful creations? They might be driven by injury or lack thereof; they are not driven by things like clutch.
   31. Fancy Pants Handle doesn't need no water Posted: October 20, 2012 at 09:24 PM (#4277711)
I want to thank our passionate fans for their support this season.

He then proceeded to name all four of those, who showed up at Yankee Stadium for the ALCS.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
A triple short of the cycle
for his generous support.