Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, October 06, 2012

HHS: McCloskey: The All-Time Los Angeles/Brooklyn Dodgers Team

Fear not…it’s not one of those Where’s Jackie Collums?.

So, what were the toughest decisions here?

• Adam‘s latest wWAR formula gives Mike Piazza’s Dodgers days a slight edge over Campanella at catcher, but I feel pretty confident going with Campy for the first-team.

• I’m sure an argument could be made for Steve Garvey over Hodges at 1B. When I was witnessing Garvey’s career as a youngster, I’ve got to admit he felt like a Hall of Famer to me. With hindsight, and the benefit of advanced statistical analysis, I don’t feel that way anymore. But, to be honest, I still have trouble wrapping my head around evaluating the careers of players who were perennial all-stars during my formative years, but quite possibly were over-rated.

• I’m curious what the reaction will be to the fact I’ve moved Snider to RF for Davis. Let me get one thing straight first, though. If I had to choose between the two, I’d obviously choose Snider. But, since I rate Davis as the third best outfielder in Dodgers history, and it seems pretty clear he was a better defender than the Duke, I think the move makes sense.

...I suppose I’ll get some flack, if you’re assuming the order these guys are listed in represents their respective place in the rotation–it does–for Koufax at #2. In fact, based on wWAR–which does give extra credit for a player’s peak–Drysdale edges out Koufax, but it’s close enough that I’m going to succumb to peer pressure and move “The Left Arm of God” up from #3. [Actually, if you factor in batting value, Drysdale begins to pull away, but the decision whether or not to dock Koufax for his ineptitude at the plate is a tough call.]

The thing is, though, there’s a strange aspect to this all-time teams thing. Basically, we’re pretending each player is a composite (I’m sure there’s a better word than that, but it’s not coming to me right now) of the different versions of him throughout his career. In other words, Koufax is not just the pitcher who had one of the greatest peaks in history from 1961-1966 (1633 IP, 129-47, 156 ERA+, 44.4 WAR). He’s also the pitcher who struggled early in his career (1955-1960, 692 IP, 36-40, 100 ERA+, 5.9 WAR). Combining those two versions of Koufax brings him back down to earth a bit.

Now, if we’re having the proverbial “who would you want on the mound in one game for all the marbles?” discussion, I’d definitely choose Koufax, as long as we’re talking about the 1961-1966 version. Otherwise, you could definitely make a case for Vance, despite the fact he was a very late bloomer who didn’t win his first major league game until he was 31. But, all of those pre-30s struggles were before he came to Brooklyn, so they’re ignored for the purposes of this exercise.

Repoz Posted: October 06, 2012 at 07:48 AM | 148 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dodgers, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Downtown Bookie Posted: October 07, 2012 at 08:01 PM (#4258563)
Astros

C - Ashby
1B - Bagwell
2B - Biggio
SS - Menke
3B - Caminiti
LF - Cruz
CF - Wynn
RF - Staub
Reserves - Cedeno, Watson, Garner, Doran, Rader, L. Gonzalez, Cliff Johnson (Backup C!)

SP - Oswalt, Richard, Hampton, Scott, Dierker
P - Wagner, D. Smith, K. Forsch, D. Wilson, J. Niekro

Nolan Ryan goes to the Angels in this scenario...

Sorry; I'm claiming Ryan on behalf of the Mets, as the only team for which he played in the World Series.

Yeah, I know it's more than forty years ago; but I still ain't over that stupid trade. What can I say.

Oh, and as long as I'm here, let me have Staub as well, for the same reason as Ryan.

DB
   102. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: October 07, 2012 at 08:01 PM (#4258567)
I wasn't sure Musial had the arm for right

He did play 784 games there in his career.
   103. cardsfanboy Posted: October 07, 2012 at 08:07 PM (#4258569)
I wasn't sure Musial had the arm for right, but it's worth it in any case to keep Mize's bat in the lineup. Deal.

I had a lineup before, didn't have Hernandez, and had Flood in centerfield, did it by war as a Cardinal, since this is basically what the article was about. And Included Brock.

17. cardsfanboy Posted: October 06, 2012 at 03:40 PM (#4256888)
The Cardinals would be
1b Pujols
2b Hornsby
ss Ozzie
3b Boyer
LF Brock(I acknowledge his war isn't the greatest, but you have to put him in as a Cardinal here)
CF Flood
RF Musial(you can put him in several spots of course)

SP Gibson
SP Dean
Sp Carpenter(sad but he is in the top ten in war for the cardinal pitchers)
SP Jesse Haines
SP Harry Brechen(?)or Mort Cooper(Wainwright is very close to making this list)

RP Hrabosky(sad, but best choice available....Worrell, Hrabosky, Sutter, Isringhausen, are all interchangeable)
   104. Mefisto Posted: October 07, 2012 at 08:11 PM (#4258571)
He did play 784 games there in his career

That seems like good evidence.
   105. KJOK Posted: October 07, 2012 at 08:15 PM (#4258573)
Angels:

C - Napoli (seriously)
1B - Joyner (Carew on Twins)
2B - Grich (need him more than the Orioles/Browns)
SS - Fregosi
3B - Figgins
LF - Downing
CF - Erstad
RF - Salmon
Reserves - Anderson, Glaus, Kendrick, Schofield, Chilli Davis, Pearson, B. Molina

SP - Ryan, Tanana, Finley, Weaver, Langston
P - Percival, F. Rodriguez, Harvey, Lackey, Chance

Not eligible - Guerrero, Hunter, Carew, Decinces
   106. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: October 07, 2012 at 08:29 PM (#4258583)
Not eligible - Guerrero, Hunter, Carew, Decinces

Between Brooks Robinson and Harlond Clift, I think the Orioles may be willing to let you have Decinces.
   107. KJOK Posted: October 07, 2012 at 08:37 PM (#4258588)
Probably, but the Angels are actually OK at 3B with Figgins or Glaus, and Decinces had more value with Balt.

108. KJOK Posted: October 07, 2012 at 08:41 PM (#4258590)
San Diego Padres

C - Kennedy
1B - A. Gonzalez
2B - Loretta
SS - Templeton
3B - Headley
LF - Winfield
CF - Finley
RF - Gwynn
Reserves - Klesko, Colbert, Richards, B. Roberts, K. Greene, Nevin, Santiago

SP - Peavey, Benes, R. Jones, Show, Ashby
P - Hoffman, M. Davis, Bell, G. Harris, Whitson

Not eligible - Ozzie Smith, Robbie Alomar, Gene Tenace, Ken Caminiti, Brian Giles, Kevin McReynolds
   109. Chris Fluit Posted: October 07, 2012 at 08:43 PM (#4258594)
Between Brooks Robinson and Harlond Clift, I think the Orioles may be willing to let you have Decinces.

Yup. As the guy who did Baltimore, I claimed Grich but left DeCinces for the Angels even though both had more WAR with the Orioles.

I also limited myself to Baltimore only but the Browns would certainly add depth with an alternate infield of Sisler, Pratt, Wallace and Clift, Ken Williams in the outfield over Singleton, and Shocker as an upgrade for the rotation.
   110. KJOK Posted: October 07, 2012 at 09:00 PM (#4258612)
This is a tough one:

Marlins
C - C. Johnson
1B - Conine
2B - Castillo
SS - H. Ramirez
3B - Lowell
LF - Floyd
CF - C. Ross
RF - Sheffield (could be a Dodger)
Reserves - Uggla, Stanton, Pierre, Millar, Willingham, Infante (could be Brave, but really need another backup IF here), Redmon

SP - J. Johnson, Willis, A. Sanchez, Burnett, Pavano
P - Looper, Alfonseca, Oviedo, Penny, Nolasco

Not Eligible - Cabrera, Renteria, D. Lee

Edit: Should probably replace Infante with Alex Gonzalez.
   111. cardsfanboy Posted: October 07, 2012 at 09:08 PM (#4258619)
I also limited myself to Baltimore only but the Browns would certainly add depth with an alternate infield of Sisler, Pratt, Wallace and Clift, Ken Williams in the outfield over Singleton, and Shocker as an upgrade for the rotation.

You probably shouldn't have, the Nationals are going to include either Washington only players or Expos, the standard has been set.
   112. BDC Posted: October 07, 2012 at 09:14 PM (#4258623)
@80: You left out Arky Vaughn and Fred Clarke

True, but I was looking only at starters, and it's a measure of how good the Pirates great stars have been. Vaughan is not going to start over Wagner, and outstanding a player as Clarke was, he does not have the bat to displace Kiner or Waner, or the glove to displace Clemente or Carey. I suppose if one would actually play these teams out in a sim, you'd think hard about getting Vaughan into the infield somehow instead of Traynor or Mazeroski, at least in the early innings of games. He could surely have been a good major-league 3B, though he didn't play there much till he went to Brooklyn.
   113. Chris Fluit Posted: October 07, 2012 at 09:15 PM (#4258625)
Tampa Bay- this almost isn't fair

C: Toby Hall- seriously
1B: Carlos Pena
2B: Ben Zobrist
SS: Julio Lugo
3B: Evan Longoria
LF: Carl Crawford
CF: BJ Upton
RF: Rocco Baldelli
DH: Aubrey Huff

SP: David Price
SP: James Shields
SP: Scott Kazmir
SP: Matt Garza
SP: Jeremy Hellickson
RP: Fernando Rodney
   114. KJOK Posted: October 07, 2012 at 09:20 PM (#4258631)
Colorado Rockies:

C - Ianetta
1B - Helton
2B - Young
SS - Tulowitzki
3B - Castilla
LF - Holliday
CF - C. Gonzalez
RF - Walker
Reserves - Galarraga, Bichette, Hawpe, Atkins, Barmes, N. Perez, J. Reed

SP - U. Jimenez, Cook, Jennings, Francis, Ruffin
P - Fuentes, S. Reed, Betancourt, Astacio, J. Jimenez

Inelgible - E. Burks (Boston)

115. Chris Fluit Posted: October 07, 2012 at 09:31 PM (#4258636)
You probably shouldn't have, the Nationals are going to include either Washington only players or Expos, the standard has been set.

Well, yeah. Except one of those franchises relocated in 1954 and the other one was founded in 1969.
   116. KJOK Posted: October 07, 2012 at 09:39 PM (#4258652)
Arizona Diamondbacks

C - Montero
1B - Durazo
2B - Hudson (Could be Blue Jay)
SS - Drew
3B - Reynolds
LF -L. Gonzalez
CF - Finley (should not be on Padres above, my mistake)
RF - J. Upton
Reserves - C. Young, Counsell, Tracy, Spivey, Colbrunn, Snyder, D. Miller

SP - R. Johnson, Webb, Haren, I. Kennedy, B. Anderson
P - Valverde, B. Kim, Mantei, M. Batista, Daal

Not Eligible - M. Williams, Schilling, J. Bell, Putz
   117. Chris Fluit Posted: October 07, 2012 at 09:43 PM (#4258654)
Diamondbacks:

C: Miguel Montero
1B: Chad Tracy - seriously
2B: Craig Counsell
3B: Mark Reynolds
SS: Stephen Drew
LF: Luis Gonzalez
CF: Steve Finley
RF: Justin Upton

SP: Randy Johnson
SP: Brandon Webb
SP: Dan Haren
SP: Miguel Batista
SP: Ian Kennedy
RP: Jose Valverde

Reserves: Chris Young (he'd probably start at first on this team)

not eligible: Mark Grace, Matt Williams, Jay Bell, Curt Schilling
   118. Mefisto Posted: October 07, 2012 at 09:45 PM (#4258656)
WAR shows Clarke as the better offensive player and they're about equal defensively.

I think it's only fair to include Vaughan at 3d for the Bucs. And that's possibly the best left side of any infield.
   119. Chris Fluit Posted: October 07, 2012 at 09:45 PM (#4258657)
CF - Finley (should not be on Padres above, my mistake)

17 WAR with the D'backs, 7.8 with the Padres (and 15.2 with the Astros)
   120. KJOK Posted: October 07, 2012 at 10:02 PM (#4258683)
Combined Orioles/Browns:

C - Hoiles
1B - Murray
2B - B. Roberts
SS - Ripken
3B - B. Robinson
LF - K. Williams
CF - Blair
RF - Singleton
Reserves - Sisler, Powell, B. Anderson, B. Wallace, Stephens, Clift, Dempsey

SP - Palmer, Mussina, Shocker, Garver, McNally
P - S. Miller, Benitez, Olson, D. Martinez, Powell

Not Eligible - Frank Robinson, Grich, Palmeiro
   121. KJOK Posted: October 07, 2012 at 10:21 PM (#4258706)
And since they're my favorite team, and I disagree with some of the previous choices:

St. Louis Cardinals
C- Simmons
1B- Pujols
2B - Hornsby
SS - O. Smith
3B - Boyer
LF - Musial
CF - Edmonds
RF - Slaughter
Reserves - Mize, Frisch, K. Hernandez, Medwick, Brock, Lankford, Y. Molina

SP - Gibson, Dean, Brecheen, Haines, M. Cooper
P - T. Worrell, Isringhausen, Hrabosky, Wilks, McDaniel

122. KJOK Posted: October 07, 2012 at 10:57 PM (#4258742)
Oh, and in my admittedly biased opinion, an exercise like this is one place where The BaseballGauge is actually better than Baseball-Reference:

Cardinals All-Time Team in Graphical Form

(you can switch between WAR, Win Shares, and Win Shares Above Bench)

Cardinals All-Time Players by WAR, Win Shares, and WSAB

(you can see and sort WAR, Win Shares, and WSAB all at once, and filter by position, etc.)

123. Mefisto Posted: October 07, 2012 at 11:07 PM (#4258754)
KJOK, I don't think your Cards team and mine are that far off. The main differences are (1) I couldn't justify the Cards getting Hornsby and Frisch, because they were traded for each other; (2) your team needs a bench spot for a back up infielder or two (hence Marion and Schoendienst on my team). Molina might well be a better choice for reserve catcher than McCarver.
   124. KJOK Posted: October 08, 2012 at 12:59 AM (#4258904)
Well, both Frisch and Hornsby had majority of their value with the Cardinals, so I was OK with having both - I mean realistically Gibson and Dean couldn't play together either, so why not have both Hornsby and Frisch?

The backup infielders were so far below the 1B/OFers it was hard to pick one, but you're right probably should have Schoendienst on the team instead of Lankford.

Molina and McCarver are extremely close, but I suspect before he retires Molina will clearly be a better pick than McCarver.

125. KJOK Posted: October 08, 2012 at 01:57 AM (#4258924)
I think 91 is the Phillies.

Ha, yes, I mixed up which Philadelphia team was missing, so I think that means we still need the A's?

126. KJOK Posted: October 08, 2012 at 02:08 AM (#4258927)
Athletics:

C - Cochrane
1B - Foxx
2B - Danny Murphy
SS - Campaneris
3B - Baker
LF - R. Henderson
CF - Dw. Murphy
RF - R. Jackson
Reserves - Simmons, McGwire, Canseco, Bando, Bishop, B. Johnson, Tenace

SP - Grove, Plank, Waddell, Rommel, Bender
P - Eckersley, Fingers, Street, C. Hunter, Hudson

127. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 08, 2012 at 02:16 AM (#4258929)
A's!

C - Cochrane
1b - Foxx
2b - Eddie Collins
3b - Sal Bando
SS - Campaneris
LF - Rickey!
CF - Reggie!
RF - Aloysius!

Subs: Tenace (C/1b), McGwire (1b/PH), HR Baker (3b/PH), Danny Murphy (2b/OF), Dwayne Murphy (OF/LIDR), Bob Johnson (OF/PH), Canseco (PH/OF/RP)

SP - Plank, Waddell, Rommel, Bender, Zito
Cl - Eck, Rollie
Sw - Grove, Walberg, Shantz

EDIT: hrmf.
   128. Gaelan Posted: October 09, 2012 at 09:46 AM (#4260276)
I'm going to put these teams together in diamonmind format.
   129. Mefisto Posted: October 09, 2012 at 10:16 AM (#4260305)
Gaelan, some suggestions for rules:

Only original 16 teams (including franchise moves – Browns/Baltimore are one franchise, etc.); expansion teams haven’t been around long enough to compete. Players must have the majority of their career value after 1892. Players can only play for one team and are assigned to the team they came up with, unless a player was significantly more notable for his accomplishments for one particular other team. For example, Roger Clemens is assigned to the Red Sox, but Babe Ruth to the Yankees.

Players who began with an expansion franchise or a franchise which no longer exists can be assigned to one of the original 16 if (a) they played for that team; and (b) had notable success for that team. Thus, Pedro Martinez is assigned to the Red Sox rather than the Dodgers/Expos. Players can be assigned to a different team if they can’t make the one to which they would be assigned by reference to the previous rules. Example: Sid Gordon is assigned to the Braves because the Giants already have 2 second basemen and Gordon would be the best available for the Braves.

Players can have the average number of PAs they had during the first 10 years they were regulars. To account for the different season lengths, players since 1961 will have their PAs multiplied by 154/162 or vice versa. Catchers prior to 1920 can get the same PAs as catchers in the 1920s and ‘30s. Players can play any position they actually played at least 200 games in the Majors or can shift down the spectrum within the IF or OF. LF/RF can switch, but there will be adjustment for arm strength. A player’s offensive statistics must be chosen from a year he actually played for the team in question.

Pitchers must have pitched the bulk of their career after 1893. Modern conditions apply to starting pitchers: 5 man rotation, roughly 115 pitches per start, 5 RP. Relief pitchers can be used according to their actual usage at any time since 1950. Thus Dennis Eckersley gets 1 IP per appearance, Hoyt Wilhelm can get more. Teams must carry at least 10 pitchers. SP can move to the bullpen. DH rule in effect.
   130. Mefisto Posted: October 09, 2012 at 10:23 AM (#4260316)
I forgot 2 obvious points: 25 man rosters, and they need to be real rosters with back up infielders, etc.
   131. Famous Original Joe C Posted: October 09, 2012 at 10:49 AM (#4260357)
RP - Bob Stanley

Papelbon >> Stanley
   132. Mefisto Posted: October 09, 2012 at 11:55 AM (#4260432)
Oh, and I got anal and put together 16 teams already. If you want, I'll send them to you. Feel free to adjust them; reasonable people can differ on some choices.
   133. SoSH U at work Posted: October 09, 2012 at 12:08 PM (#4260443)
Papelbon >> Stanley

A little, and I can definitely see how he'd end up on some lists. But he's only got six seasons with the Sox, rather than an entire career. He may very well end up with more value in Philly than he did in Boston (not likely, but possible). Whenever I compile lists like this, I run an active player discount to account for that future uncertainty. YMMV.

Oh, and Stanley was a good and versatile pitcher for the Sox, his role in one unfortunate 10th inning notwithstanding.

134. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: October 09, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4260498)
Players must have the majority of their career value after 1892.

Oh, and I got anal and put together 16 teams already.

In that case, who is your Cubs first baseman if not Anson? Chance or Grace? Hopefully, in 10 years it will be Banks, with Castro at SS.
   135. Mefisto Posted: October 09, 2012 at 12:48 PM (#4260501)
Chance. For the Cubs' sake, I hope you're right.
   136. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: October 09, 2012 at 01:03 PM (#4260519)
Using the rules from 129, here's the Cubs:

C - Hartnett and Kling
1B - Chance
2B - Sandberg and Herman
SS - Banks and Tinker
3B - Santo and Hack
LF - Williams
CF - Wilson
RF - Sosa
OF - Cuyler
OF - Pafko
OF - Monday

SP - Brown
SP - Jenkins
SP - Reuschel
SP - Vaughn
SP - Griffith
RP - Sutter
RP - Smith
RP - Marmol
RP - Dempster
RP - Holtzman
   137. PreservedFish Posted: October 09, 2012 at 01:05 PM (#4260522)
Only original 16 teams (including franchise moves – Browns/Baltimore are one franchise, etc.); expansion teams haven’t been around long enough to compete.

########. Just imagine the cinderella story possibilities.
   138. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 09, 2012 at 01:24 PM (#4260554)
Only original 16 teams (including franchise moves – Browns/Baltimore are one franchise, etc.); expansion teams haven’t been around long enough to compete. Players must have the majority of their career value after 1892. Players can only play for one team and are assigned to the team they came up with, unless a player was significantly more notable for his accomplishments for one particular other team. For example, Roger Clemens is assigned to the Red Sox, but Babe Ruth to the Yankees.

Excellent - A's get to keep Cochrane, Foxx, EDDIE F. COLLINS, Rickey!, Reggie!, and even Canseco & McGwire off the bench.
Eckersley pitched for the A's longer than any other team, and was significantly more notable for his accomplishments with them... even though, honestly, his Boston years were probably more "valuable." Do the A's keep Eck?
   139. Mefisto Posted: October 09, 2012 at 01:30 PM (#4260556)
Yeah, I gave Eck to the As. He was a starter for the Sox, and they don't really need him as a starter (Clemens, Young, J. Wood, Kinder, Martinez). Eck is famous as a reliever, which he did for Oakland.

Obviously there are some judgment calls necessary on this.

Misirlou, I forgot about Cuyler, so good call, but what about Stephenson? Edit: And what about Reulbach as a pitcher?
   140. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 09, 2012 at 01:55 PM (#4260581)
Players can play any position they actually played at least 200 games in the Majors or can shift down the spectrum within the IF or OF.

OK, so A's have Rickey! in CF, and Reggie! in RF?
   141. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: October 09, 2012 at 02:43 PM (#4260655)
Misirlou, I forgot about Cuyler, so good call, but what about Stephenson? Edit: And what about Reulbach as a pitcher?

Trying to balance out the eras as much as possible. Riggs might be 10% better than Monday, but we already have 2/3 of the 1929 outfield.

Same with Reulbach. There are already 3 deadball era pitchers on the staff.

edit: But I guess Monday should really belong to the A's (more value) or Dodgers (more years). Maybe Swish Nicholson. Get a big LH bat off the bench.

edit edit: And Nicholson's better than Monday or Stephenson anyway.

142. BDC Posted: October 09, 2012 at 02:58 PM (#4260675)
Just imagine the cinderella story possibilities

Ron Swoboda and Brooks Robinson, Part II :)
   143. Gaelan Posted: October 09, 2012 at 04:16 PM (#4260787)
I started last night. Here's what I'm doing.

1) I'm using diamondmind's all time greatest players disk which I've been personalizing over the years to include platoon skills for some players and players (usually recent) that weren't on that disk. That means that players are rated on their best 4000 to 6000 consecutive plate appearances. I'm also using the fielding ratings that are on the disk, which means that Sid Gordon is not rated at secondbase.

2) I'm including all teams, including expansion teams for like preservedfish says, I don't need to do this to know the Yankees are going to be better than the Marlins. However, if the Marlins beat the Yankees that would be awesome.

3) I'm creating a baseline of these teams from the teams posted in this thread. However, for players that appear on multiple teams they are assigned to the team that best lines up with their peak/prime. I'm doing this by sorting their seasons by WAR and using the eyeball test. For example, by this standard Jim Bunning plays for Philadelphia because his 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 6th best seasons are with Philadelphia, David Cone is a Royal, Mike Piazza is a Dodger, etc. If this is close as it often is with contemporary players, tie goes to the expansion team, hence Curt Schilling is a Diamondback.

4) Teams get their best 25 man team taken from these players, with appropriate backups and 11 man pitching staffs. Players that don't make their original team can then be released to their next most likely team, which in turn may bounce someone else. Eventually the bouncing may stop. Sid Gordon, it turns out, may not be good enough for either the Braves or the Giants.

5) Play a double elimination tournament of 7 game series with off days only for series that are shortened early.

Anyway, that's my idea.

[Edit] Other rules. DH depends upon home team; Diamondminds modern era (1955-2005 or something); no injuries; O
   144. PreservedFish Posted: October 09, 2012 at 04:26 PM (#4260802)
Cone should be a Met. He threw 1250 innings for the team, vs 450 for the Royals. That's like making Reggie Jackson an Oriole. Plus Shea Stadium is where he was caught masturbating in the dugout.
   145. Gaelan Posted: October 09, 2012 at 04:51 PM (#4260831)
Cone is a tough one. Not only is his playing time divided amongst a number of teams but he has two partial seasons. However, one thing I'm sure is that the amount of innings is not a deciding factor. His best consecutive seasons are from 1991-1999. That excludes the majority of his Mets seasons and brings the Yankees into the question more directly. Still, the best two seasons are with the Royals, so he goes with them with perhaps a little help of the expansion tie breaker.

146. Mefisto Posted: October 09, 2012 at 05:22 PM (#4260875)
No injuries is a huge advantage for the Yankees. They have a great OF, but both DiMag and Mantle were injury prone. That said, as long as you don't put Rickey on the Yanks, it's cool. :)
   147. Gaelan Posted: October 09, 2012 at 05:42 PM (#4260896)
Two reasons for having no injuries. The first is theoretical, if you have injuries then you have to have more than 25 man rosters, to replace the injuries. The second is practical, the players aren't coded for injury proneness and I don't want to do it on a case by case basis.
   148. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: October 09, 2012 at 06:53 PM (#4260977)
Hopefully, in 10 years it will be Banks, with Castro at SS.

Or Rizzo, with Banks still at short.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.