Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, June 18, 2018

OTP 2018 June 18: How Life Imitates the Congressional Baseball Game

“This game is a situation of which, you’re a product of your political success, so if you have a good political year, you have a good recruiting year for this game.” So said former Rep. David Bonior, D-Mich., many years ago about the Congressional Baseball Game and the teams each party gets to field.

Washington is host to the 2018 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, known among fans as the midsummer classic. But Capitol Hill has staged its own midsummer classic every year for more than five decades, the Congressional Baseball Game.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 18, 2018 at 08:15 AM | 1775 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 11 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›
   1001. Greg K Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:35 AM (#5696777)
As a matter of fact, is it the case that if an adult successfully gains asylum that their kids can come, too? (It would seem to make sense if that was the case, but I don't know.)

A good friend of mine likes to tell the story of his dad fleeing Uganda under Amin. He managed to get the Canadian embassy to fly him out, but they could only take him, not his infant daughter. He said "ok, I'll just leave her with you guys". After a bit more wrangling they managed to get her out too.
   1002. Random Transaction Generator Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:00 AM (#5696778)
Marijuana will become legal in Canada on October 17, 2018.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced today that Canadians will be able to consume marijuana recreationally without criminal penalties starting on Oct. 17, 2018 — many months later than the government's initial target date.

"One of the things that we heard very clearly from the provinces is that they need a certain amount of time to get their bricks and mortar stores — their online sales — ready. Producers need time to be able to actually prepare for a regimented and successful implementation of the regime ... This is something that we want to get right," Trudeau told reporters at a press conference held today before the House of Commons rises for its summer recess.

"By giving the provinces more time to ensure that they are fully ready for the day of coming into force of this legislation, it will be a smooth success in all the ways that we can hope for."
   1003. Ishmael Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:03 AM (#5696780)
For those people who believe that there shouldn't be a right to free movement between states:

First - do you believe that the presumption of a right to free movement exists in the absence of nation states or national boundaries (within states, or in stateless areas etc.)?

Second - if you do think that there is a prima facie right to free movement, by what argument do you justify its restriction by nation states?
   1004. -- Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:09 AM (#5696781)
Second - if you do think that there is a prima facie right to free movement, by what argument do you justify its restriction by nation states?

The need to organize the world sensibly, and the reams of empirical data on the various options. The world's masses value place, value national identity, value membership in a polity based on shared culture, values, habits of living, etc.(*) Moreover, distinctly minority cultures within a nation have proven over history to raise troublesome issues, to say the least. There's no changing the ones that are already established, but the wisdom of creating a bunch of new ones escapes the bounds of logic and sense.

I will also say that it's beyond bizarre that the very same people who tend to be very pro-immigration also accept the Palestinian premise that a Palestinian state that comes out of the peace process should be essentially Jew-free.

I'm an open borders type by sentiment, but I'm also sharp enough to know that it wouldn't work. I reject ideas that I know won't work, even when a big part of me wishes they would work. That's kind of the sane centrist's dilemma in a nutshell.

(*) You can call them "racists" and "xenophobes" and all the rest all you want, but that doesn't change the underlying reality in the least.
   1005. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:09 AM (#5696782)
Catching up, this is from #855:

People whose deaths should be celebrated with a national parade: Henry Kissinger, Dick Cheney, Donald Trump, Jeff Sessions, Stephen Miller
I learned that Jesse Helms died on the morning of my favorite cousin's wedding. That was a ####### awesome weekend.
   1006. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:50 AM (#5696788)
Great sleazeballs sleaze alike:

Sara Netanyahu, wife of Israeli prime minister, charged with fraud
She is accused of misusing $100,000 in state funds for catering services at their Jerusalem residence. The charge represents the latest development in corruption scandals dogging Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

That justice system in Israel must be loaded with anti-Semites and self-hating Jews, sort of like the way our FBI is a den of Democrats.
   1007. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:53 AM (#5696789)
For those people who believe that there shouldn't be a right to free movement between states:

First - do you believe that the presumption of a right to free movement exists in the absence of nation states or national boundaries (within states, or in stateless areas etc.)?

This is interesting, because I am not much a believer in absolutes. I don't think there is an absolute right to unfettered travel between nations, because I don't believe in absolute rights. A right has to be documented and enforced in some fashion. The highest power (non-fantasy division) is the nation state (larger, higher order organizations are slowly evolving, like the EU and the UN, but they are not quite there yet).

I think the right of free movement should exist (and like the right to free speech and association have occasional limits, boundaries), but I don't presume it does. And of course the justification of restriction by nation states is more than just force.

A nation state is by its very nature organized around control of a territory, if it doesn't have a certain level of control of that territory then that territory is not part of the nation state. One way nations can choose (not necessarily should choose, but can) to exercise that control is a certain level of control of access to the territory. If you are going to deny the nation state the ability to exercise that control (even if the specifics are not to your liking) then you are denying it is a nation state in control of that territory.

Shorter answer: By their nature nations control territory, if they can't then they are not nations, so your very question in presupposing the existence of the nation state answers the question as to what justification they have - by their very existence.
   1008. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:56 AM (#5696790)
And finally, a #NeverTrump who actually understands the logic of that sentiment:

A GOP strategist abandons his party and calls for the election of Democrats
For three decades, Steve Schmidt has played at the highest levels of Republican politics, as a top strategist in presidential campaigns and as an adviser to other GOP candidates. He has also been one of the most vociferous critics of President Trump. On Wednesday, he made that opposition even more emphatic, renouncing his party affiliation and urging Americans to vote for Democrats in the November elections.

“Trump’s election did not spell doom for the Republican Party,” Schmidt said by telephone Wednesday while traveling. “The reality is that our Founders always predicted that one day there would be a president like Trump, and that’s why they designed the system of government the way they designed it. What they never imagined is the utter abdication of a co-equal branch of government, which we’re seeing now. . . . The definition of conservatism now is the requirement of complete and utter obedience to the leader.” ...

Trump’s presidency and what Schmidt regarded as the obeisance of traditional Republicans brought him near a breaking point. Events of the past 10 days — he cited Trump’s praise for North Korea’s Kim Jong Un, attacks on Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the horrific images of immigrant children separated from their parents on the U.S.-Mexico border — finally tipped him over the edge.

He said he came to see the Republican Party as living in fear of the president and, as such, “a threat to the American republic and to liberal democracy.” The party, he said, “is irredeemable,” at risk of going the way of the Whig Party or, as it now is in California, running third in registration behind Democrats and “decline to state.”

Schmidt will not enroll in the Democratic Party. He will change his registration from Republican to independent. But in a two-party system, he sees the Democrats as the lone hope to prevent an ultimate unraveling of democratic norms. “The Democratic Party is called to be the sentinel of American democracy and liberty,” he said. “It is beyond bone-chilling to consider what happens if that party fails in that task, in that duty.” ...

Schmidt’s decision to abandon his party and call for Democratic victories in November might not sway many in the GOP. He was already seen as outside the party family. And as he freely admits, his views of the president are well known and oft-stated at a volume not easily missed. With all that, he offered perspective on what led him to Wednesday’s tweet.

“Politics always fascinated me,” he said. “In my 20s, I was involved in politics and, as I look in the mirror, not for the noblest of purposes. It was for sport. In my 30s, I believed my candidates were better, but there was a lot of ambition involved. Today, I look at it as a way to make fundamental choices for the country, and I’m extremely worried. There is poison coursing through it. . . . I’m going to continue to speak out as best as I’m able.”
   1009. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 08:30 AM (#5696798)
And finally, a #NeverTrump who actually understands the logic of that sentiment

What an awesome story ... which I linked to yesterday.
   1010. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 08:31 AM (#5696799)
No, you don't blow your shot. You hang out here and then a bit of time passes and you therefore have "roots" here and therefore according to the open borders types shouldn't be deported.(*)

You know, it's a misdemeanor.

How many misdemeanors do you know of with no statute of limitations? Since you don't consider getting married, having kids, buying a house, and holding a job "roots" but rather 'hanging out'... what WOULD you consider roots - no airquotes?

White nationalists like yourself make me sick.
   1011. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 08:32 AM (#5696800)
And finally, a #NeverTrump who actually understands the logic of that sentiment

What an awesome story ... which I linked to yesterday.

But it never gets old. Do you want me to put your coke on ice?
   1012. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 08:38 AM (#5696802)
So I opined recently that the GOP President's "strategy" would be amazingly effective at making immigrants (not just illegals, but all of them) sympathetic (ripping children away from their parents and throwing them in cages tends to do that).

Record-High 75% Say Immigration Is Good Thing

A new Gallup poll finds that a record-high 75% of Americans, including majorities of all party groups, think immigration is a good thing for the U.S. — up slightly from 71% last year. Just 19% of the public considers immigration a bad thing.

Meanwhile, a new Axios/SurveyMonkey poll finds there’s been a big jump over the last week in the percentage of Americans who say immigration is the most important issue facing the country, as they’ve been bombarded by the images and sounds of families being separated after trying to cross the border illegally.”

And of course ... Poll: immigration has become the No. 1 issue for voters in 2018

But between the recent outrage over the Trump administration’s family separation policy and House Republicans taking up a comprehensive bill aimed at fixing the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, one new poll finds that voters thinking about 2018 care most about immigration.

Out of 2,002 Republican and Democratic adults (including 1,608 registered voters) surveyed by the Pew Research Center from June 5 to 12, immigration emerged as the top issue they most wanted to hear 2018 candidates talk about. In fact, about one in five voters mentioned immigration — more than mentioned either health care or the economy.

Somehow I suspect Trump's disastrous "Rip children from their parents, cage them, and then fold like a house of cards under pressure" plan will not help the GOP, nor do I think the upcoming "GOP House still can't pass a comprehensive immigration plan" will help either.

Don't worry though as the trade war heats up and hurts folks and when the increased insurance premiums take a bite from their wallet, I suspect the economy and health care will have their turn.
   1013. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 08:41 AM (#5696804)
But it never gets old. Do you want me to put your coke on ice?

Diet please, and room temp is fine.
   1014. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:06 AM (#5696808)
I guess Michael Bloomberg has all but announced his intentions to run in the 2020 Democratic primary -- he's pledged 80 million to House Democrats in 2018.

Thanks for the cash, Mike... I suspect it's gonna work out to something like 5 million per delegate I expect you'd get in a Democratic primary, but don't let me discourage you. Put another zero behind it to see if that proportion gets better, says I.
   1015. -- Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:18 AM (#5696817)

How many misdemeanors do you know of with no statute of limitations? Since you don't consider getting married, having kids, buying a house, and holding a job "roots" but rather 'hanging out'... what WOULD you consider roots - no airquotes?

White nationalists like yourself make me sick.

Wow. Pretty amazing, and disheartening, stuff.

The hinges seem to be going in the wrong direction, it's my sad duty to report.
   1016. Traderdave Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:24 AM (#5696821)
As much as I'd be in favor of President Bloomberg (business oriented centrist, actual business success + political experience) he'll turn 79 just weeks after the '21 inauguration.

Can't anyone put a non-septegenarian on the ballot??
   1017. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:28 AM (#5696823)
Can't anyone put a non-septegenarian on the ballot??

Democrats can and will in 2020. It is not a mortal lock, but it is pretty darn close.
   1018. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:33 AM (#5696826)
But I hear GOP President Trump is at a (tepid at best, but still) personal best approval rating in one poll! CNN Poll: Support for Democrats ticks up and they retain enthusiasm advantage

The percentage of voters who said Democrats when asked which party they'll support in November was up three points since CNN's May poll, and Democrats have a sizable lead among voters who are most enthusiastic about voting. Forty-two percent of registered voters said they'll support the Republican candidate.

This week, Trump will embark on a week-long campaign tour taking him to the key states of Minnesota, Nevada, South Carolina, North Dakota and Wisconsin, rallying around Republicans in the 2018 midterm elections. Each of those states except South Carolina is home to a hotly contested Senate race.

The survey was conducted between June 14 and June 17, just as the stories of the US government separating children from parents trying to cross the border began to take over political conversations. It suggested wide disapproval of that practice, but a majority of Republicans favored President Trump and the White House in the matter.

Since the poll only caught the start of the "Cages for Kids" fiasco, and was before Trump's craven surrender of his own principles, I can only assume future polls will show a massive GOP spike.
   1019. Traderdave Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:34 AM (#5696828)
1017:

Who will that be?
   1020. Lassus Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:34 AM (#5696829)
As much as I'd be in favor of President Bloomberg (business oriented centrist, actual business success + political experience) he'll turn 79 just weeks after the '21 inauguration.

The oldest President at start of term has been Donald Trump (70 years, 220 days - beating Regan by around 280 days), and Bloomberg would destroy that record.
   1021. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:37 AM (#5696830)
Wow. Pretty amazing, and disheartening, stuff.

Yes, I'm well aware that you are disheartened by your dreams of a white ethno-state crashing and burning. I know it really bothers you that the nation is becoming increasingly diverse - and the data says that even though bigots like yourself have gotten louder, your numbers are actually decreasing. I'm sure it further angers you that your last gasp blip "no more brown people!!!" falls fall short of the numbers just 20 years ago was also wasted on a buffoon like Donald Trump.

That actually makes me happy. Not happy enough to have any impact on my voting behavior, mind you - but happy still. A nice cherry on top, let's say.
   1022. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5696834)
1017:

Who will that be?

Booker, Harris, Hickenlooper, Gillibrand, Patrick, McAuliffe, etc.

No idea.

I'm just certain it won't be Bloomberg and I very highly doubt it will be Biden.

I think we're at least a year away from trying to make even a mildly meaningful guess.
   1023. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5696835)
No, you don't blow your shot. You hang out here and then a bit of time passes and you therefore have "roots" here and therefore according to the open borders types shouldn't be deported.(*)

How many misdemeanors do you know of with no statute of limitations?
Unless you've done it before or have previously been deported, and then it's a felony. (The statute of limitations is five years; for the first offense that period begins to run when the border is illegally crossed, but for subsequent offenses it doesn't begin to run until the person is caught.) But your response misses its target. Deportation is not a criminal punishment for illegal entry; it's an administrative remedy for being here illegally. People who have been here a long while (and "put down roots") aren't being prosecuted for illegal entry; they're just being deported. The statute of limitations plays no role in that. (Similarly, if you come here legally -- say, on a tourist or student visa -- and overstay, you haven't broken the law at all (so the statute of limitations is irrelevant), but you can still be deported.)
   1024. Traderdave Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:46 AM (#5696836)
Booker and Harris are blue state Senators and while they could be viable candidates, the Dems really need a swing stater on ticket.

Hickenlooper will be 69 shortly after inauguration, which is a rounding error, though IMO he'd be a good choice otherwise.

I don't see the other 3 gaining that much traction, please enlighten me if I'm wrong.
   1025. -- Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:46 AM (#5696837)
Yes, I'm well aware that you are disheartened by your dreams of a white ethno-state crashing and burning. I know it really bothers you that the nation is becoming increasingly diverse - and the data says that even though bigots like yourself have gotten louder, your numbers are actually decreasing. I'm sure it further angers you that your last gasp blip "no more brown people!!!" falls fall short of the numbers just 20 years ago was also wasted on a buffoon like Donald Trump.

This is the stuff that's amazing.
   1026. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:47 AM (#5696838)
Who will that be?

Who do I favor? Right now I think Brown (The Senator from Ohio, not the really old Gov. from California). Who will it be?

I will take the field. Pick anyone and I will happily take the field. Heck pick three people, your top three choices, and I will likely take the field. I do know who it is not going to be though, that I am pretty sure I can do.

It will not be Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Bloomberg, Oprah Winfrey, Starbucks guy (I am forgetting his name), or Bernie Sanders. It also almost certainly won't be Elizabeth Warren, but there is at least a chance of that happening. Which is why it is not quite a mortal lock the Democratic nominee will be under 70, but I think there are many people more likely to be the nominee than her.

In no particular order: Brown, Harris, Booker, Gillibrand, Klobuchar, and Kaine are all more likely than any of the 70 set, and that is off the top of my head, I am sure I am missing several.

EDIT: Coke to Zonk.
   1027. Jess Franco Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:48 AM (#5696840)

if the choice is that or incarceration and children being taken away...?

For all the squalling over Trump, this is his game. Take the most extreme position possible and compromise to get more than you could've hoped for as a moderate. "Sorry, I can't pay that debt, but will you take 20 percent?"

More effective than Colt .45.
   1028. zenbitz Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:49 AM (#5696841)
So they drive it to a side street somewhere at night and dump it there, where it sits for many moons until the city gets around to collecting it.

I know this is an ancient Ray quip, but I live in the dumping capital of San Francisco. Which also has it's share of construction work done by illegal immigrants. I very rarely see construction debris dumped. It is very true that poor people dump stuff on street corners because it's not cheap to get rid of a couch or broken book case or whatever garbage didn't fit in your can.

1029. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5696842)
I don't see the other 3 gaining that much traction, please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

The Democrats don't need a swing state politician on the ballot. It doesn't hurt certainly, but Obama (to choose the most recent example) did just fine, and Illinois is hardly a swing state any more (Kerry won it in 2004 by 10 points).

Also it is not about trying to determine who will win, not at this point, it is looking at trends and current in the party. Right now the source of energy in the Democratic Party is women, people of color, and the young. You need someone who can energize at least one of those factions (or you won't win the primary) and hopefully not scare off the rest of the electorate (or you won't win the general).

That is why I think Brown has a chance, he is a white dude (not scary) and yet he is a very solid politician, not old, with impeccable progressive credentials and has enough charisma to make it happen. Being from a swing state is the cherry on top I must admit. But he could easily lose, like I said I would take the field given the option.
   1030. Greg K Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5696843)
It is very true that poor people dump stuff on street corners because it's not cheap to get rid of a couch or broken book case or whatever garbage didn't fit in your can.

Hmm. I've done this a few times in the past couple months. It's never fun realizing you're poor. Though you'd figure at a certain point you'd stop going through the process of realizing it over and over again!
   1031. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:56 AM (#5696845)
More effective than Colt .45.

Except ... you know ... in this instance where he has gained nothing except a giant pile of GOP infighting and massive amounts of bad press seemingly targeted to influence critical voting blocks. Other than that ... yup, winning!
   1032. Traderdave Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:57 AM (#5696846)
Agree that Brown has a shot and wouldn't be a terrible candidate, but I saw plenty of him the years I lived in Ohio and he always struck me as an empty suit, professional politician reading the cue cards du jour.

But I admit to possible bias.
   1033. zenbitz Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5696848)
When asylum is sought by Mexicans in removal proceedings

Credit where credit is due -- this is a brilliant troll.
   1034. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5696849)
I know this is an ancient Ray quip, but I live in the dumping capital of San Francisco. Which also has it's share of construction work done by illegal immigrants. I very rarely see construction debris dumped.
As I pointed out to Ray at the time, illegal immigrants aren’t demolishing homes on spec. They’re working for contractors. If there were construction debris being illegally dumped, it would be by the contractor, not the immigrants.

It is very true that poor people dump stuff on street corners because it's not cheap to get rid of a couch or broken book case or whatever garbage didn't fit in your can.
Just dump it in your neighbor’s yard and pull a gun on him if he complains.
   1035. Greg K Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:05 AM (#5696852)

You could dump it anywhere within a 50km radius of my dad. Whatever it is he'll grab it within 30 minutes and bring it home.
   1036. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:10 AM (#5696853)
Unless you've done it before or have previously been deported, and then it's a felony. (The statute of limitations is five years; for the first offense that period begins to run when the border is illegally crossed, but for subsequent offenses it doesn't begin to run until the person is caught.) But your response misses its target. Deportation is not a criminal punishment for illegal entry; it's an administrative remedy for being here illegally. People who have been here a long while (and "put down roots") aren't being prosecuted for illegal entry; they're just being deported. The statute of limitations plays no role in that. (Similarly, if you come here legally -- say, on a tourist or student visa -- and overstay, you haven't broken the law at all (so the statute of limitations is irrelevant), but you can still be deported.)

I have no more desire to get into a legal debate over the statutory specifics with a real lawyer than I do a fake one.

My point is that the rhetoric, the framing, and the Sturm und Drang over the matter has rapidly outpaced the reality... without even getting into the more insidious and ridiculous elements like pretending some tiny fraction who are violent gang members are anything more than a tiny fraction*.

Frankly, I wasn't a huge fan of the 2013 immigration reform law that passed the Senate - I think it's a bit draconian to create another, lesser class of residents that need to wait 10 years before they can enter the line to become 2nd class residents - but in the spirit of compromise, I would have been willing to go along with it as not-as-bad-as-the-status-quo option. If it had gotten a house vote - my bet is that it would've gotten 300 votes. Yeah, yeah - maybe only 30-40% of the GOP would have voted for it but so the #### what.

The overton swings both ways - so while the racists like Steve King and nazis like Stephen Miller and bigots like Donald Trump keep refusing to do anything except push the immigration debate towards their own extremist ends, it's unreasonable not to expect the counter side to do the same. The unreasonable whackjobs keep exacerbating the problem keep blocking reasonable solutions - so if needs to end up becoming a long-term burn towards only one extremist solution, so be it. Just remember who blocked any compromise and who was willing to go along with it. 5 years ago, I would have eyerolled people holding signs saying "Abolish ICE!" - now? Whatever. We'll have to wait for the evening for the resident IP expert to weigh in - but I'm pretty sure one side of the debate doesn't have sole and sovereign copyright on hyperbolic narrative and imagery... so if words like concentration camps and storm troopers and SS bother people - too ####### bad. Every GD step of the way - it's been the Tancredo wing that has upped the ante, so it's stupid not to respond in kind. My advice would be that it's a dumb idea to turn things into a war of imagery when the other side of the ideological divide clearly draws more creative types than one's own - long-term, that's a losing proposition.

*FTR - if one actually WANTS to staunch asylum seekers fleeing violence in Central America, I wouldn't even be so quick to deport the MS-13 types... The US spends an ever-expanding amount of money on incarceration - to the point it's become a very healthy for-profit industry. Might as well put it to some use.
   1037. stig-tossled,hornswoggled gef the talking mongoose Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:13 AM (#5696856)
here are shitholes in California (and shitheels in N Virginia), and beautiful places in WV.

I saw a reference yesterday in some FB group I'm in to a course taught in high school focusing on various aspects of WV. The high school was somewhere in Australia.

WTF?
   1038. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:15 AM (#5696857)
Booker and Harris are blue state Senators and while they could be viable candidates, the Dems really need a swing stater on ticket.

So was Obama.

Agree that Brown has a shot and wouldn't be a terrible candidate, but I saw plenty of him the years I lived in Ohio and he always struck me as an empty suit, professional politician reading the cue cards du jour.

Brown's a pretty consistent and hardcore labor guy. Blue collar union support is his bread and better - and indeed, if protectionist/economic populism actually is a viable requirement, he's probably the best the Dems have to offer. He might be all talking points on any manner of items - but his 'working class' bona fides are legit.
   1039. Lassus Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:20 AM (#5696861)
but I live in the dumping capital of San Francisco.

Errrrr..... Hunter's Point?

Also, WhenTF did the Castro become Eureka Valley?
   1040. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:24 AM (#5696864)

I just can’t see the Democrats nominating a white male in 2020.

EDIT: Don't accuse me of concern trolling or anything. I am not making any sort of normative argument, no prediction they're doomed if they do/don't, nothing like that. I am just making a prediction.
   1041. Shredder Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:30 AM (#5696870)
Supreme Court just overturned Quill. You folks' sales and use tax avoiding days are over, ya buncha cheats. I would guess, anyway. Haven't read the opinion yet.
   1042. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:32 AM (#5696872)

You could dump it anywhere within a 50km radius of my dad. Whatever it is he'll grab it within 30 minutes and bring it home.

Heh - my grandfather was the same way... once he more or less retired from farming, he made going to auctions a full-time gig (and used to drive my grandmother nuts bringing home trailers full of crap several times a week). The man was a "picker" before his time - and if he had born just a decade or two later, I have zero doubt he'd have increased his already substantial fortune via ebay style pioneering.

I will say this, though - before my sophomore year of college, I went with him to an auction to get some cheap furniture and a bike. That's all I wanted - couch and a bike. He goaded me into buying no less than a dozen couches and twice as many bikes - I had picked out the ones I wanted pre-bidding, and they cost less than 10 bucks total... and then, as the others began going for a buck or 5 bucks for three, etc - I went along with his itch. Ultimately - I spent $80 on the entire haul.

I then took them up to campus with me - and sold the excess stock off the back of the trailer during new student week and turned that $80 into nearly $800.
   1043. -- Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:33 AM (#5696874)
The overton swings both ways - so while the racists like Steve King and nazis like Stephen Miller and bigots like Donald Trump keep refusing to do anything except push the immigration debate towards their own extremist ends, it's unreasonable not to expect the counter side to do the same.

Concession very, very, very much accepted.

And now I'll go reeeeeeal slow so you and yours can understand: Declining to join in the bizarre stampede of the counter side to their own extremist end, and explaining why, very much does not make one a "Trumpkin." Indeed, the perspective that it does is a direct and proximate result of stampeding to, and residing on, that very same extremist end.

I would consider this discussion ... progress. It took many months, but we seem to have finally arrived.
   1044. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:37 AM (#5696875)
Ahhh.... poor Paulie.

Let's see if we actually do get a House vote today. I'm betting we don't.

But remember, kids, it's the Democrats' fault for not voting on things that they get no input into and never come up for votes anyway.
   1045. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:37 AM (#5696876)
Frankly, I wasn't a huge fan of the 2013 immigration reform law that passed the Senate - I think it's a bit draconian to create another, lesser class of residents that need to wait 10 years before they can enter the line to become 2nd class residents - but in the spirit of compromise, I would have been willing to go along with it as not-as-bad-as-the-status-quo option.

In fact by simply allowing anyone who'd lived here since the end of 2011 to apply for the status of Registered Provisional Immigrant, that 2013 Gang of 8 bill would've been a HUGE improvement over the status quo, by providing protection from arbitrary deportation for many millions of people while they were awaiting eventual citizenship. Not to mention that the bill incorporated the DREAM act.

If it had gotten a house vote - my bet is that it would've gotten 300 votes. Yeah, yeah - maybe only 30-40% of the GOP would have voted for it but so the #### what.

Tell that to Clapper, who thinks that only Republican votes matter.
   1046. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:38 AM (#5696877)

Concession very, very, very much accepted.

It's not a concession if my point is the opposite of the one you've made.

I'd think Concession Boy would understand that.
   1047. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:40 AM (#5696878)
And now I'll go real slow so you and yours can understand: Declining to join in the bizarre stampede of the counter side to their own extremist end, and explaining why, very much does not make one a "Trumpkin." Indeed, the perspective that it does is a direct and proximate result of stampeding to, and residing on, that very same extremist end.

Yeah, yeah... I do understand.

You think only bigots are entitled to stampede towards extremist ends. I know. You've been very clear about the idea about your separate but unequal theories.
   1048. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:44 AM (#5696879)

EDIT: Don't accuse me of concern trolling or anything. I am not making any sort of normative argument, no prediction they're doomed if they do/don't, nothing like that. I am just making a prediction.

I think that largely will depend of how strong a message someone like Kamala Harris could project to potential swing voters, but I agree that if she decides to enter the race that she'd be the most formidable candidate the Democrats could offer in terms of appealing to the broadest base of voters and reassembling the Obama coalition.
   1049. -- Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:46 AM (#5696881)
You think only bigots are entitled to stampede towards extremist ends.

No, I've said over and over that you and yours have stampeded toward extremist ends and now you've admitted it. I've also said over and over that the nutty tribes have gotten nuttier and more tribal and now you've admitted that, too.

I've also said that one tribe stampeding toward extremism tends to cause the other one to do the same thing ... and you've now admitted that.

So this was kind of the hat trick of concessions. If this was a hockey game, there would be hats all over the rink now and we'd have to call extra security to clear them all off.
   1050. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:49 AM (#5696884)
No, I've said over and over that you and yours have stampeded toward extremist ends and now you've admitted it. I've also said over and over that the nutty tribes have gotten nuttier and more tribal and now you've admitted that, too.

I've also said that one tribe stampeding toward extremism tends to cause the other one to do the same thing ... and you've admitted that, too.

No, you've defended Trump's increasing extremism until you're blue in the face -- all the while blaming 'modern liberals' for it... the fact that you occasionally trot out the transparently ridiculous "both sides" facade is no different than the pedophile telling the po-po "But officer, I was wearing a trench coat most of the time I was at that playground!"
   1051. Lassus Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:54 AM (#5696887)
   1052. Traderdave Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:56 AM (#5696889)
Cut him some slack, he HAD to rescind it. It had the scarlet "O" all over it.
   1053. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5696892)
In terms of who helps the presidential baseball team the most.

The 2 best Browns are Kevin and Miner. But the pitching staff is already ridiculously strong, with Randy and Walter Johnson, Whitey Ford, Billy Pierce, and Babe Adams. No position player brown would be an upgrade. Could probably swap Babe for Matt or someone like that.

There's no Harris of note. Couple of relievers and a pinch hitter.

There's no Booker or Kaine, and I'm not even going to try for Gillenbrand or Kloubachar.

Brown it is, until another name emerges.
   1054. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5696893)
Cambridge, MA has the greatest collection of stuff left on the street that I have ever seen in my life. I am reading this thread on the 24" HP monitor I found on the street, attached to a desktop with ~2014 internals that I found on the street (I bought the SSD), all sitting on a desk I found on the street. The printer I found on the street; it replaced the one I found on the street that didn't have a scanner attached. I'm in a desk chair I found on the street. The bookshelf I found on the street has six or seven tech books I found on the street. I read them in my nice wooden armchair I found on the street, by the light of a lamp I found on the street, that sits on a table I found on the street. I've gotten most of the books I've read in the last year out of the various Little Free Libraries that are all over town. Lots of my books have gone in one in exchange. And I've been involved with a lot of swaps, where I end up getting a box of tea or something for an item I don't want. I could go on.

If you're a dedicated scrounger and like small scale alternative economies, it's the greatest place.
   1055. -- Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5696895)
No, you've defended Trump's increasing extremism until you're blue in the face

Nope, I've never done that a single time. Indeed, I called the child separation at the border an unequivocal abomination, more than once.

all the while blaming 'modern liberals' for it.

Nope, I've outlined the unfortunate current dialectic of tribalism and extremism and you've now confirmed it. Credit is due for the stampede to extremism metaphor -- it's spot-on.
   1056. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:20 AM (#5696902)
On Thanksgiving, when my friend and I went up to visit Alice at the restaurant, but Alice doesn't live in the restaurant, she lives in the church nearby the restaurant, in the bell-tower, with her husband Ray and Fasha the dog. And living in the bell tower like that, they got a lot of room downstairs where the pews used to be in. Having all that room, seeing as how they took out all the pews, they decided that they didn'thave to take out their garbage for a long time'

We got up there, we found all the garbage in there, and we decided it would be a friendly gesture for us to take the garbage down to the city dump. So we took the half a ton of garbage, put it in the back of a red VW Microbus, took shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed on toward the city dump

Well we got there and there was a big sign and a chain across across the Dump saying, "Closed on Thanksgiving". And we had never heard of a dump closed on Thanksgiving before, and with tears in our eyes we drove off into the sunset looking for another place to put the garbage

We didn't find one. Until we came to a side road, and off the side of the side road there was another fifteen foot cliff and at the bottom of the cliff there was another pile of garbage. And we decided that one big pile is better than two little piles, and rather than bring that one up we decided to throw ours down

That's what we did, and drove back to the church, had a Thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat, went to sleep and didn't get up until the next morning, when we got a phone call from officer Obie. He said, "Kid, we found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a half a ton of garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any information about it." And I said, "Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope under that garbage."

1057. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:22 AM (#5696904)
In terms of who helps the presidential baseball team the most.
Just running through the list of current governors, I think the best choice for the single-issue voter who only cares about the Presidential All-Stars Baseball Team would be Susana Martinez (R-NM). She'd add Pedro and Edgar and a whole host of useful second-tier players, and I suspect that there are likely to be more future greats named Martinez than named Reynolds or Cooper or Scott. It would also be comical to have the GOP run a Latino woman to follow Trump.

My understanding is that there's no way in hell she could ever get re-elected as Governor of New Mexico, so a Presidential win seems a bit of a stretch.

Scott Walker and Charlie Baker would also bring in a player of HoF caliber.

The D's need to identify promising youngsters named Ruth or Mays and get them to start running for office.
   1058. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5696908)
Just running through the list of current governors, I think the best choice for the single-issue voter who only cares about the Presidential All-Stars Baseball Team would be Susana Martinez (R-NM). She'd add Pedro and Edgar and a whole host of useful second-tier players, and I suspect that there are likely to be more future greats named Martinez than named Reynolds or Cooper or Scott. It would also be comical to have the GOP run a Latino woman to follow Trump.

The rule is 1 player per President. There are 2 Johnsons in the rotation because there were 2 Presidents Johnson. Pedro would be nice, but all he adds is an upgrade to a ridiculously strong pitching staff, and a bench bat.
   1059. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5696910)

the single-issue voter who only cares about the Presidential All-Stars Baseball Team
Which is actually probably a better heuristic than any one commonly used by voters today.
   1060. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5696914)
In that case, I guess I'm voting for Charlie "Home Run" Baker over Scott "Larry" Walker. Who's the current 3B? Charlie Hayes? Hayes to Baker is probably a bigger upgrade than Trot Nixon to Larry Walker.
   1061. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:39 AM (#5696915)
An update on Very Fine Person Jason Kessler's application to hold a rally in DC --

NPS Approves ‘Unite The Right’ Anniversary Rally Outside White House

Awesome. Maybe Trump will address it.

I'd have preferred they pick a date a week or two later - a nice kickoff for the traditional fall campaign season opening - but I suppose August 12 ought to be close enough... Figure Trump tosses some of his special brand of gasoline on the fire that keeps it burning another week or two - might actually work perfectly.
   1062. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5696917)
In that case, I guess I'm voting for Charlie "Home Run" Baker over Scott "Larry" Walker. Who's the current 3B? Charlie Hayes? Hayes to Baker is probably a bigger upgrade than Trot Nixon to Larry Walker.

Got Von Hayes at 1B. 3B is Sparky Adams. My Nixon is Otis. With Hack Wilson the starting CF, I need a true CF on the bench.
   1063. Ishmael Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5696921)
Thanks for the responses to my #1003 by the way. I'd be interested if anyone sees freedom of movement restrictions as more than just questions of practical necessity, too.
   1064. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5696922)
would be Susana Martinez (R-NM).
If Trump miraculously isn't running in 2020... Ted Cruz would add some significant options. I don't remember the entire team, but Jose Cruz Sr. was very good. Most other possible Republican hopefuls add nothing... Kasich, Haley, Rand Paul, Rubio... As Misirlou noted, the pitching staff is already loaded, but Rick Perry would still have been a good addition. Paul Ryan, too. Importantly, there has never been a professional player named "Putin."

EDIT: Oops -- forgot about Mike "Hunter" Pence. Not that he'd make the team, but he has had a decent career.
   1065. -- Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5696926)
Awesome. Maybe Trump will address it.

Yeah, wow, Kessler estimates that 400 people will be there.

Four-hundred people!!!
   1066. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5696927)

I don't see any reason why not. There are plenty of white males in the Democratic Party, and Democratic non White Males have plenty of experience voting for white males for political office. For example in every Presidential election save the last three and the vast majority of Governor, Senator, House and every other election. (Yes there are likely some voters who have voted for non white males exclusively, but they are {I am pretty sure} in the minority).

Yes, as I said the energy of the party is in the young, non white, and female cohort, so any candidate is going to have to appeal to at least one of those groups to win the nomination, however - for example - in a field with multiple non white and female candidates those groups votes could easily be split, allowing a white male to grab up enough of the rest of the votes to win.

Based on history alone if you bet on a white male being nominated you'll be right most of the time. Heck even in the last three elections a white male made there way on to the ticket each time, so even in the three only exceptions there was still a white male lurking about. Democrats hardly hate white males.
   1067. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:54 AM (#5696930)
Stretchy likes his White Supremacists in small groups. Personally I don't like them at all, but maybe that is just me. In any event I support their right to assemble peacefully, despite finding their ideology loathsome. Two are too many, but if there are two then they should be able to assemble.
   1068. Traderdave Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5696933)
Considering all the hand wringing over the "white working class" I'd be shocked if the D's don't nominate a white male.
   1069. -- Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5696935)
Stretchy likes his White Supremacists in small groups. Personally I don't like them at all, but maybe that is just me. In any event I support their right to assemble peacefully, despite finding their ideology loathsome. Two are too many, but if there are two then they should be able to assemble.

I'll never believe there isn't a Platitude Bot writing some of these posts.
   1070. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5696936)
Got Von Hayes at 1B. 3B is Sparky Adams. My Nixon is Otis. With Hack Wilson the starting CF, I need a true CF on the bench.

Michael Taylor.... Claudell Washington also played a bit of CF, though he wouldn't fit the bill as a defensive replacement.

Reggie Jackson should be on the team somewhere. Josh Harrison can player wherever you need him in the IF. Gary Carter catches. There's no shortage of pitchers - Whitey Ford in the back-half of the rotation...

EDIT: Misread the exercise... never mind
   1071. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:57 AM (#5696938)
If Trump miraculously isn't running in 2020... Ted Cruz would add some significant options. I don't remember the entire team, but Jose Cruz Sr. was very good. Most other possible Republican hopefuls add nothing... Kasich, Haley, Rand Paul, Rubio... As Misirlou noted, the pitching staff is already loaded, but Rick Perry would still have been a good addition. Paul Ryan, too. Importantly, there has never been a professional player named "Putin."

EDIT: Oops -- forgot about Mike "Hunter" Pence. Not that he'd make the team, but he has had a decent career.

Hunter Pence would be a starter. He would replace Claudell Washington in LF. As would Jose Cruz.
   1072. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5696939)

Can they bring their lawyers along? Because then Trump nets you Ty Cobb - the baseball one.

1073. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5696941)
Considering all the hand wringing over the "white working class" I'd be shocked if the D's don't nominate a white male.

I wouldn't go that far. Candidates are not chosen in smoky rooms or assembled to fit a need. They have to run a long gauntlet which includes getting enough money, people, base "mind share", and such all before they go through the valley of doom known as Iowa and New Hampshire. It is really hard to run for President, as many otherwise capable politicians have discovered to their chagrin.

There is no assurance that a white male happens to survive past New Hampshire, especially when so many capable non white males will clearly be running.
   1074. dlf Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:05 PM (#5696948)
He would replace Claudell Washington in LF.

I always loved the banner referencing George that some fans flew in old Comiskey when disappointed with Claudell's performance: "Washington slept here."
   1075. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:07 PM (#5696950)

Hunter Pence would be a starter. He would replace Claudell Washington in LF. As would Jose Cruz.
See, as I said I don't remember the entire team. Also, I thought Washington was a bit better than that.
   1076. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:09 PM (#5696954)
Using wikipedia's page of Democratic Party Presidential contenders for 2020 -

There is a former Democratic rep from AZ in the 1980s named Harry Braun that has declared... so that gets me Ryan Braun.

A perennial candidate and football coach named Robby Wells... so David or Vernon.

Julian Castro gets me either a catcher or utility IF.

Bernie gets you Reggie.

OH Democrat Tim Ryan for Nolan.

I see Stormy Daniels is listed - so add Kal.

Caroline Kennedy for Ian or Terry or whomever.

Ken Salazar for Luis or others.

Shery Sandberg for Ryne?

1077. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:10 PM (#5696961)
Michael Taylor..

The bullpen is kind of weak, so I have Ron Taylor.

C - gary Carter
1B - Von Hayes
2B - Adam Kennedy
SS - Donie Bush
3B - Sparky Adams
LF- Claudell Washington
CF - Hack Wilson
RF - Reggie Jackson

Bench:

Josh Harrison
Homer Bush
Otis Nixon
Lu Clinton

SP - Randy Johnson
SP - Walter Johnson
SP - Whitey Ford
SP - Billy Pierce
SP - Babe Adams

Pen:

Mudcat Grant
Ron Taylor
Lefty Tyler
Mike Lincoln
Matt Harrison

Still need a backup catcher and maybe another reliever

1078. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:12 PM (#5696964)

Weird that there's a HOF rotation but a lot of bleh in the starting lineup.
   1079. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:14 PM (#5696965)
Weird that there's a HOF rotation but a lot of bleh in the starting lineup.

Blame whitey and the lack of Latinos...
   1080. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:18 PM (#5696968)
The bullpen is kind of weak, so I have Ron Taylor.

Well, if you buy the technically-but-probably-not-really historical footnote that David Rice Atchison was President for a day (Polks term ended on a Sunday, Taylor didn't take the oath until Monday) - that could buy you a Scott Atchison for the pen, freeing up Taylor for your 4th OF.

EDIT: You also haven't used a Hoover - so there's JJ Hoover for the pen as well.
   1081. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:21 PM (#5696971)
Forgot Reggie Cleveland in the pen.
   1082. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:22 PM (#5696972)
Well, if you buy the technically-but-probably-not-really historical footnote that David Rice Atchison was President for a day (Polks term ended on a Sunday, Taylor didn't take the oath until Monday) - that could buy you a Scott Atchison for the pen, freeing up Taylor for your 4th OF.

That would free up Russ Nixon as backup catcher/manager
   1083. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:25 PM (#5696977)
Could also add Jesse Jefferson to the pen.
   1084. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5696981)
If you're comfortable jettisoning Homer Bush, you could also add a better bat to the bench like Reggie Jefferson, Matt Adams (you've got plenty of SPs), or Craig Monroe (who also played some CF).
   1085. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:35 PM (#5696983)
Somebody named Scotti Madison - who I do not remember despite the fact I thought I had an encyclopedic knowledge of even cup of coffee 80s players - was a backup catcher that got into 71 games in the mid/late 80s for Detroit, KC, and Cincy.
   1086. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:42 PM (#5696987)
Back to politics --

GOP Reps of all stripes are now fleeing the...whatever... nobody seems quite sure what... bill that is supposedly going to be voted on this afternoon.

Will Hurd - one of the few actual GOP moderates on immigration that has spoken in favor - just bailed on the (whatever) 'compromise' bill that all of the whacko caucus has already denounced.

1087. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:43 PM (#5696988)

He's two years younger than Nancy Pelosi.
   1088. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:51 PM (#5696992)
WaPo: Trump Admin Suspends Criminal Prosecutions Of Migrant Parents

Quick! Somebody set up another hugs and kisses session with a brutal dictator to change the story...
   1089. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:51 PM (#5696993)
He's two years younger than Nancy Pelosi.

Ignoring Clapper's rather vile ageism for a moment, Pelosi has shown herself to be a far better Speaker and voter counter than the current GOP Clownshow Leadership, who can't even manage to get votes from their own caucus on an immigration bill after months of wrangling. The almost lost control o the point that the discharge petition forcing a vote on 4 bills nearly got to the floor and forced the latest "compromise" bills - which look to again go down in flames.

I will take an older but competent leader over what the GOP has, every single time.
   1090. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 12:54 PM (#5696994)
I guess those DHS/HHS rules that required approval and two weeks notice for any site visits for Democratic reps and Senators don't apply for first ladies...

Maybe she's looking for her parents.

When she asked how long the children stay without their parents, she was told 42-45 days. “That’s great,” she said.

She wanted to clarify that children that arrive truly unaccompanied are between 12 and 17 and that they know where they are. “They’re not young young?” she asked.
   1091. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:00 PM (#5697000)
A question of semantics...

Do trolls cave or do trolls retreat back to their caves?
   1092. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5697002)
More polling ...

Voters More Focused on Control of Congress

A new Pew Research survey finds “voter engagement is high when compared with comparable points in previous midterm cycles” and “a record share of registered voters (68%) say the issue of which party controls Congress will be a factor in their vote in November.”

“A 60% majority say they consider their midterm vote as essentially a vote either for Donald Trump (26%) or against him (34%). These are among the highest shares saying their view of the president would be a factor in their vote in any midterm in more than three decades.”

And more on enthusiasm ...

Democrats Are More Enthusiastic Than Republicans For the First Time Since 2006

The right-hand chart shows voter enthusiasm. Democrats usually have trouble turning out the vote for midterm elections, but this year enthusiasm is sky-high—far higher than it was even in the wave election of 2006. It’s even as high as Republican enthusiasm in the tea-party wave of 2010. If this keeps up, it’s bad news for Republicans.

So who’s responsible for this enthusiasm? Young women

1093. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:05 PM (#5697003)
Do trolls cave or do trolls retreat back to their caves?

Hmmm. Maybe they just surrender, like Trump.

Trump Surrenders

The coverage of President Trump’s sudden reversal on his policy to separate migrant children from their parents at the border is universally brutal.

The Fix: “It’s at once an admission that the politics of the issue had gotten out of hand and that the administration’s arguments were completely dishonest. Virtually everything it said about the policy is tossed aside with this executive action. It’s the political equivalent of waving the white flag and the legal equivalent of confessing to making false statements. Rather than letting Congress rebuke it, the White House is rebuking itself and trying to save some face.”

Politico: “It was a remarkable shift from a president who is typically reluctant to bow to outside pressure. He often doubles down on his existing stance when confronted with criticism.”

Seriously though it should be "Troll caves into Troll caves"

EDIT: Or maybe ... "Troll caves into Troll's cave" for slightly more interesting flow.
   1094. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:07 PM (#5697005)
Seriously though it should be "Troll caves into Troll caves"

Where's a good earthquake when you need one... to cave-in the troll caves permanently.
   1095. Count Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:09 PM (#5697007)
Great news if they are actually stopping criminal prosecutions.
   1096. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:12 PM (#5697012)
Great news if they are actually stopping criminal prosecutions.

DOJ is now refuting the WaPo report.

The original report -

The Post reported, citing one unnamed senior U.S. Customs and Border Protection official, that Border Patrol agents had been “to stop sending parents with children to federal courthouses for prosecution,” in the paper’s words.

“We’re suspending prosecutions of adults who are members of family units until ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) can accelerate resource capability to allow us to maintain custody,” the official said.

Who knows.

It's tragically amusing that when this regime moves into chaotic who knows territory - it almost always constitutes an improvement over the prior state of affairs.
   1097. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:29 PM (#5697023)
It's tragically amusing that when this regime moves into chaotic who knows territory - it almost always constitutes an improvement over the prior state of affairs.

I suspect that is what makes being a Trumpkin so exciting, you never know what exactly you are defending (except Trump of course) and you need to be able to change directions on a dime with no sense of shame.
   1098. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:35 PM (#5697027)
Hey, it is not all throwing kids in cages and then craven surrender ... The EU just hit back at Trump with its own tariffs on American goods

The European Union has announced that as of Friday, it will impose tariffs on $3.2 billion worth of American goods including bourbon, peanut butter, and Harley-Davidson motorcycles. The move is in response to President Donald Trump’s decision to impose harsh import taxes targeting the EU earlier this month.

“We did not want to be in this position,” EU trade commissioner Cecilia Malmström said in a statement Wednesday. “However, the unilateral and unjustified decision of the U.S. to impose steel and aluminum tariffs on the EU means that we are left with no other choice.”

The EU is strategically choosing products that will hit Republicans hard. According to lists submitted to the World Trade Organization, the bloc of 28 European countries plans to enact a 25 percent tax on American products made in vulnerable Republican-heavy states, such as orange juice from Florida. The state, which had majority support for Trump in the 2016 election, could be key for Republicans to win over in this year’s midterm election.

No reason that only China should have the "fun" of having a nice little trade war with the Dear Leader.

The economy is so going in the tank. Not in time for 2018, but definitely before 2020. What a moron Trump is. Well done guys, the one you have defended, voted for, and enabled is destroying everything he touches.
   1099. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5697028)
Somebody named Scotti Madison - who I do not remember despite the fact I thought I had an encyclopedic knowledge of even cup of coffee 80s players - was a backup catcher that got into 71 games in the mid/late 80s for Detroit, KC, and Cincy.
Paul Hoover was the model backup-backup catcher, the guy who hangs out in AAA waiting for someone on the big team to hurt himself -- 40 MLB games, but over 700 career AAA games. I saw him get 1/3 of his MLB extra base hits!
   1100. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:37 PM (#5697030)
Well done guys, the one you have defended, voted for, and enabled is destroying everything he touches.

If only a Republican had told them earlier!
Page 11 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.