Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, June 18, 2018

OTP 2018 June 18: How Life Imitates the Congressional Baseball Game

“This game is a situation of which, you’re a product of your political success, so if you have a good political year, you have a good recruiting year for this game.” So said former Rep. David Bonior, D-Mich., many years ago about the Congressional Baseball Game and the teams each party gets to field.

Washington is host to the 2018 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, known among fans as the midsummer classic. But Capitol Hill has staged its own midsummer classic every year for more than five decades, the Congressional Baseball Game.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 18, 2018 at 08:15 AM | 1775 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 12 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last ›
   1101. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5697032)
Huh?
   1102. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 21, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5697035)
Supreme Court just overturned Quill. You folks' sales and use tax avoiding days are over, ya buncha cheats.

Those who claim they can predict the votes of Justices based on the party of the appointing president may wish to note that the line-up in Wayfair was Kennedy, Thomas, Ginsburg, Alito & Gorsuch in the majority, and Roberts, Breyer, Sotomayor & Kagan dissenting.
   1103. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 21, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5697053)
. . . Pelosi has shown herself to be a far better Speaker and voter counter than the current GOP Clownshow Leadership . . .

Well, if you believe Democratic Congressional Candidates, we may soon not have Nancy Pelosi to kick around any more - Democratic Candidates Vow To Dump Pelosi:
Clarke Tucker’s first general election ad for an Arkansas-based House race tries to defuse one of the GOP’s most potent attacks: “I’ve said from Day One,” the Democrat declares, “that I won’t vote for Nancy Pelosi.”

Tucker, an Arkansas legislator who’s running against Rep. French Hill (R-Ark.), is one of at least 20 House Democratic challengers who’ve publicly rejected the minority leader on the campaign trail.

My own view is that if the Democrats win a majority in 2018, most of those candidates who win would renege on their pledge and vote for Pelosi for Speaker if she is put forward by House Democrats. Starting their career breaking a campaign promise might have some electoral consequences down the road, but it is also rather difficult for a relatively small group of Members to buck their caucus on a vote for Speaker, even if theoretically they hold the balance of power. If the GOP retains the House in 2018, one would think even the die-hard Pelosi loyalists would finally concede it's time for her to go, but perhaps the creative types will find something "unfair" about the election so it wouldn't really count.
   1104. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5697054)
Those who claim they can predict the votes of Justices based on the party of the appointing president
No, no, no. You didn't gerrymander the statement enough. Those people only think they can predict the votes of justices based on the party of the appointing president if you first tell them that the vote broke down along party lines based on the party of the appointing president.
   1105. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 02:17 PM (#5697062)
Well, if you believe Democratic Congressional Candidates, we soon won't have Nancy Pelosi to kick around any more

The more you focus ever so tightly on judges and Democratic Leadership the more obvious it is how desperate you are not to talk about your own party and its "adventures" running the legislative and executive branches.

In any event don't you worry about the Democratic caucus, I am confident in their current leadership and based on the past I am not afraid of whoever the next leader might be. As Nancy Pelosi herself said, just win baby.
   1106. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5697066)
My own view is that if the Democrats win a majority in 2018, most of those candidates who win would renege on their pledge and vote for Pelosi for Speaker if she is put forward by House Democrats. Starting their career breaking a campaign promise might have some electoral consequences down the road, but it is also rather difficult for a relatively small group of Members to buck their caucus on a vote for Speaker, even if theoretically they hold the balance of power. If the GOP retains the House in 2018, one would think even the die-hard Pelosi loyalists would finally concede it's time for her to go, but perhaps the creative types will find something "unfair" about the election so it wouldn't really count.

The number of people whose votes in 2018 are going to come down Pelosi for speaker votes is precisely the same as the number in 2020: Zero.

I congratulate dumbass troll Trumpkins like you for giving the story as much oxygen as it gets - that's the one thing you people do well, fluff up bullshit so sheep write about it, ad-makers make ads about it, etc - but you know it, I know it, anyone with half a brain knows it... so on second thought, maybe you don't know it.
   1107. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5697075)
As if right on cue -

UPDATE 2:10 p.m.

House GOP leaders postponed a vote on a “compromise” immigration proposal until Friday, according to House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy.

Why do you #### nozzles even bother winning majorities? All you do is say the same crap you do during the rare occasions when you don't have the gavel and then run around like morons with your trumpholes on fire.
   1108. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 02:26 PM (#5697081)
Why do you #### nozzles even bother winning majorities?

They are the dog that catches the car and then (and only then) starts to wonder, "Now what?"
   1109. zenbitz Posted: June 21, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5697082)
@1039 close enough, Bayview. There was always a Eureka valley (I mean going back to the 1970s) and I think it overlaps but does not subsume the Castro.

1110. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5697086)
Clarifying -

The Make America Stay White bill did get a vote - and failed - with all Democrats and about 40 Republicans voting no.

The Make American Seem a Little Less Like It's A Keep America White vote has been postponed.

So... once again... I'm sure this is the Democrat's fault. They didn't vote for the whackjob caucus bill and reasons...reasons...reasons... on the bill they also got no input on and wasn't even brought up for a vote.
   1111. perros Posted: June 21, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5697111)
If you are for detaining illegal immigrants, here is what you support.

Of course, this is what we routinely do in a regime where people are incarcerated at the highest rates in the world.
   1112. dlf Posted: June 21, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5697119)
Those who claim they can predict the votes of Justices based on the party of the appointing president may wish to note that the line-up in Wayfair was Kennedy, Thomas, Ginsburg, Alito & Gorsuch in the majority, and Roberts, Breyer, Sotomayor & Kagan dissenting.

Both Kennedy, for the majority, and Thomas, for the dissenters, said that Quill was bad law and should have been decided differently. The minority argued that the fix should have been done by Congress, especially since there have been a number of bills kicking around Washington for a number of years and a gazillion dollars of industry will be affected. (I liked Roberts little tidbit that one state (Illinois?) taxes Twix differently than Snickers because with flour, the former is considered food while the latter is candy.)

1113. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: June 21, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5697125)
Trump is known to enjoy Starburst candies, especially the red and pink ones.
Following up on the incident in which Trump allegedly threw candy at Chancellor Merkel, which Zonk already mentioned, i found this amazing anecdote:
McCarthy once observed that Trump, like many six-year-olds, only likes the pink and the red Starburst candies, but none of the other colors. So McCarthy got a staff member to buy some in bulk and put the president's favorites in a jar with McCarthy's name on it. They apparently have been chatting on the phone regularly since the campaign and often watch movies together where they both talk all the way through. Trump calls him "my Kevin."
Yeesh.
   1114. Lassus Posted: June 21, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5697126)
and I think it overlaps but does not subsume the Castro.

A lot of the google "San Francisco neighborhood" images don't include it, which was why I asked.

I lived in one of the ugliest two-apartment duplexes on Corbett, in between 17th and Market, 1998-2000. It was like a blight on the block from those aforementioned 70s. Fine inside, great small deck and view from our 2nd-floor place. I miss living in San Francisco, such a beautiful city.
   1115. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 21, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5697128)
Not that surprising, these days, but still disappointing - ACLU Retreats From Free Speech:
The American Civil Liberties Union has explicitly endorsed the view that free speech can harm “marginalized” groups by undermining their civil rights. “Speech that denigrates such groups can inflict serious harms and is intended to and often will impede progress toward equality,” the ACLU declares in new guidelines governing case selection and “Conflicts Between Competing Values or Priorities.”

This is presented as an explanation rather than a change of policy, and free-speech advocates know the ACLU has already lost its zeal for vigorously defending the speech it hates. ACLU leaders previously avoided acknowledging that retreat, however, in the apparent hope of preserving its reputation as the nation’s premier champion of the First Amendment.
. . .
In selecting speech cases to defend, the ACLU will now balance the “impact of the proposed speech and the impact of its suppression.” Factors like the potential effect of the speech on “marginalized communities” and even on “the ACLU’s credibility” could militate against taking a case. Fundraising and communications officials helped formulate the new guidelines.

One half of this balancing test is familiar. The “impact of suppressing speech”—the precedents that suppression might establish, the constitutional principles at stake—is a traditional factor in case selection. But, traditionally, the ACLU has not formally weighed the content of speech and its consistency with ACLU values in deciding whether to defend it.
. . .
All this is the ACLU’s prerogative. Organizations are entitled to revise their values and missions. But they ought to do so openly. The ACLU leadership had apparently hoped to keep its new guidelines secret, even from ACLU members. They’re contained in an internal document deceptively marked, in all caps, “confidential attorney client work product.” I’m told it was distributed to select ACLU officials and board members, who were instructed not to share it. According to my source, the leadership is now investigating the “leak” of its new case-selection guidelines. President Trump might sympathize.

If you're not willing to defend speech you disagree with, even strongly disagree with, you're not really in favor of free speech.

NOTE: That article is behind the WSJ paywall, but if you Google all or part of the 1st sentence (or other sufficient portion) of the article, you should be be able to get to the article from the Google link. Worked for me, although the WSJ only allowing access via the Google backdoor seems a bit silly, and inconvenient.
   1116. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5697141)
Baldwin Leads In Re-Election Race

A new Marquette Law School poll in Wisconsin shows Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) ahead of GOP challengers Leah Vukmir (R), 49% to 40%, and Kevin Nicholson (R), 50% to 39%.

1117. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 03:43 PM (#5697145)
This is the sort of thing that causes the Modern GOP heartburn. It is reality though, and eventually they need to embrace the modern world as it is and not as it was portrayed in the 1950s.

Fewer Births Than Deaths Among Whites in Majority of U.S. States

The Census Bureau has projected that whites could drop below 50 percent of the population around 2045, a relatively slow-moving change that has been years in the making. But a new report this week found that whites are dying faster than they are being born now in 26 states, up from 17 just two years earlier, and demographers say that shift might come even sooner.

“It’s happening a lot faster than we thought,” said Rogelio Sáenz, a demographer at the University of Texas at San Antonio and a co-author of the report. It examines the period from 1999 to 2016 using data from the National Center for Health Statistics, the federal agency that tracks births and deaths. He said he was so surprised at the finding that at first he thought it was a mistake.

Much more after the link.
   1118. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 21, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5697161)
I notice that there are some Senate polls missing from Bitter Mouse's effort to keep BBTF-OTP informed, specifically in Florida & North Dakota. Careful observers of this space will know why.
   1119. McCoy Posted: June 21, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5697162)
13 year old in Illinois charged with a felony for recording his conversation with his principle. I know laws are different in every state but I say we need more of this. With everybody having a cell phone nowadays there's just way too much of this secretly recording conversations. Too many are trying to set others up and things need to change.
   1120. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:03 PM (#5697176)
I notice that there are some Senate polls missing from Bitter Mouse's effort to keep BBTF-OTP informed, specifically in Florida & North Dakota. Careful observers of this space will know why.

Thanks man! Whole lotta BLUE in that link, very nice. I appreciate you keeping us in the loop. I still feel pretty good about North Dakota though, especially since Trump keeps talking her up. I assume by this point Trump and your guy in ND have kissed and made up though, right?

Florida is tricky, but Scott has been dumping huge amounts of cash on that one, so down 3 in one poll doesn't ring any alarm bells for me. Scott has been smart to quickly throw Trump under the bus on the whole Kids in Cages mess. Horrible human being, but not a terrible politician. More Republicans should be so astute.
   1121. Count Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:04 PM (#5697179)
Are you joking? The takeaway should be how ridiculous it is to charge a 13 year old with a felony for that.
   1122. McCoy Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5697183)
It should be even easier. Lock them all up until they are 25. Now get off my lawn.
   1123. dlf Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5697185)
Both Kennedy, for the majority, and Thomas, for the dissenters

Sorry, too late to edit but the latter should have been Gorsuch. Thomas wrote a concurring decision, but it really didn't say much. (And in the FWIW I tend to think that something close to 99% of concurrences, certainly not limited to Thomas, are just 'hey look at me' rather than anything of any real import that future litigants or legislators can use.)
   1124. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5697187)

I've said that you can predict the votes of Justices in the great majority of cases where the arguments on both sides reflect clear cut ideological positions. I'm not sure how that'd apply to a case involving collecting state taxes for online purposes. I'd rather have the state sales tax automatically added to my online purchases, but that's much more a case of simplifying my tax returns, not ideology.
   1125. Count Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:17 PM (#5697192)
Yeah they’re protesting way too much - they wouldn’t cheer on the theft of a SCOTUS seat if they didn’t think you could predict decisions in the key political cases. (Judges have judicial philosophies etc that are very important but they also tend to align with their politics in key cases).
   1126. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:18 PM (#5697193)
Another case where parody and the real world are indistinguishable:

Political Scientists Baffled By Trump’s Ability To End Something He Had No Control Over Just Days Ago
NEW HAVEN, CT—At a loss to explain the mysterious nature of the president’s powers, political scientists were reportedly baffled Wednesday by Donald Trump’s ability to end the practice of separating families who cross the U.S. border seeking asylum mere days after stating that he had no control over it. “Just yesterday, he was explaining that his hands were tied and there was nothing he could do to stop children and infants from being forcibly torn away from their parents and put into cages—but then today, out of nowhere, he suddenly issued an executive order doing just that!” said Bruce Ackerman, a constitutional law professor at Yale University, remarking that this inexplicable development will fundamentally upend how the presidency is understood, because there is no theory in the entire field of political science that explains how it could be possible. “No new amendments to the Constitution have been passed, so the powers vested in the Executive Branch should be the same today as they were yesterday, right? And yet somehow, they have changed! Decades of research will be required before we can even begin to comprehend such a phenomenon. In the meantime, we can only sit back and wonder if there are any other powers the president has yet to discover.” At press time, sources confirmed Ackerman and his colleagues had flipped over an original copy of the Constitution and found a list of previously unknown executive powers that appeared to have been hastily scrawled in with a ballpoint pen.
   1127. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:20 PM (#5697194)
Since I have been accused of ignoring the Senate - in my defense making fun of GOP President Trumps colossal fumble around ripping away crying children from their parents, throwing them in cages, allowing evidence out there, and then cravenly folding on his "principles" almost immediately has occupied much of my time - so I think I should provide a link to some Senate analysis.

After I make some more fun of the Trump disaster, this time from Melania and her response. Melania Trump wears “I really don’t care, do u?” jacket on trip to migrant children

I don't think there is any hidden meaning or anything, but yup she wore a jacket saying - in large letters on the back - "I really don’t care, do u?" when traveling to go see those same children ripped away from their parents and tossed into a chain link summer camp disguised as a cage. Did no one think that was maybe a bit of a poor idea?

Anyway on to Senate analysis. Clapper linked to the polls, so I won't bother ... The tough Senate map for Democrats is looking a little less tough

Over the past few weeks, Democrats seem to have shored up their positions in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) has a double-digit polling lead on his Republican opponent; Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA) was always the favorite but now appears absolutely safe; and Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) — maybe the most vulnerable of the bunch and up for her first reelection in a state Republicans had been dominating — also seems to be on solid ground.

It’s a sign of the times: After two new polls found Brown leading Republican Rep. Jim Renacci by 17 points, the University of Virginia’s Crystal Ball moved Ohio to Likely Democrat. On Thursday, they moved Pennsylvania to Safe Democrat after another pair of polls put Casey up by double digits over Republican Rep. Lou Barletta.

The biggest surprise might be Baldwin’s apparent security. As I previously explained, there was reason to think the first-term senator could be in trouble in Wisconsin, a state where the GOP has solidified control of the state government and made ousting Baldwin a top priority. Indeed, Gov. Scott Walker’s Republican allies had already spent $8.5 million against her in March.

On the flip side, what remains is still plenty tough ...

Democrats are still at a disadvantage in trying to flip the 51-49 Senate. They have only two obvious opportunities to flip Republican-held seats — Nevada and Arizona — and they also have very vulnerable incumbents of their own in Missouri, Indiana, North Dakota, and West Virginia. Florida, where Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson is facing a well-funded campaign from two-term Gov. Rick Scott, also can’t be taken for granted. The polling there suggests a very close race.

Even with Trump sabotaging his own party's chances I will be ecstatic if Democrats escape 2018 with only losing a single seat, and losing two or three net would be annoying but not the end of the world. Anything better than losing a seat would be cause for a major celebration, but for now no champagne has been bought.
   1128. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:21 PM (#5697197)
Yeah they’re protesting way too much - they wouldn’t cheer on the theft of a SCOTUS seat if they didn’t think you could predict decisions in the key political cases.

You'd think that after posting article after article gloating how Trump's been able to ram his judicial nominees through the Senate, Clapper would just be happy, rather than pretend that the ideology of those judges was somehow unfathomable. I know damn well that I'd be gloating if I were in his place and the roles were reversed.
   1129. dlf Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:22 PM (#5697199)
I'd rather have the state sales tax automatically added to my online purchases, but that's much more a case of simplifying my tax returns, not ideology.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you are engaging in hyperbole and, instead, like roughly 99.999% of people, are not paying taxes on items ordered on-line where the seller doesn't include it. I have zero idea about sales tax in DC (or MD if you live on the other side of that line) but for most folks, this will result in increased spend on on-line items and increased revenue from a regressive tax for many of the states.
   1130. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:26 PM (#5697201)
After I make some more fun of the Trump disaster, this time from Melania and her response. Melania Trump wears “I really don’t care, do u?” jacket on trip to migrant children

I don't think there is any hidden meaning or anything, but yup she wore a jacket saying - in large letters on the back - "I really don’t care, do u?" when traveling to go see those same children ripped away from their parents and tossed into a chain link summer camp disguised as a cage. Did no one think that was maybe a bit of a poor idea?

This only further confirms my point that when it comes to the Trumps, it's impossible to tell parody from reality. I had to click on that link to make sure it wasn't from Borowitz or The Onion.
   1131. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:27 PM (#5697202)
OK, let's vote: TDS, or not TDS?
As the first lady boarded her plane from Andrews Air Force Base, she wore an olive green jacket. The back of the jacket read: "I really don't care. Do U?"
I'm trying to think what message she's be trying to send, *if* she were trying to send one. And I'm failing.

ETA: I'm fine dispensing a beverage for that one...
   1132. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5697208)

Thanks man! Whole lotta BLUE in that link, very nice. I appreciate you keeping us in the loop. I still feel pretty good about North Dakota though, especially since Trump keeps talking her up. I assume by this point Trump and your guy in ND have kissed and made up though, right?

Florida is tricky, but Scott has been dumping huge amounts of cash on that one, so down 3 in one poll doesn't ring any alarm bells for me. Scott has been smart to quickly throw Trump under the bus on the whole Kids in Cages mess. Horrible human being, but not a terrible politician. More Republicans should be so astute.

If the Dems are down to needing serious defensive efforts in just ND and FL... well... color me thrilled and ecstatic.

The only state I haven't seen any recent data on is Indiana.

The worst map in history for any party suddenly looks less and less daunting with each passing day. McCaskill's built a small but consistent lead. Manchin looks to be cruising. Casey and Brown in blowouts. Kaine isn't even getting a serious challenge. Tester's actually doing better in early polling than he did in either prior run and has a lead.

So much so that I'll give Clapper another bet to chicken out on... I'd be willing to bet the Senate side for the Dems comes out no worse than "net zero" (as in, the Dems manage to hold at least 49 seats). House control (meaning Clapper gets 24 seats in the spread) still on the table, too.
   1133. perros Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5697211)
For those people who believe that there shouldn't be a right to free movement between states:

First - do you believe that the presumption of a right to free movement exists in the absence of nation states or national boundaries (within states, or in stateless areas etc.)?

Second - if you do think that there is a prima facie right to free movement, by what argument do you justify its restriction by nation states?

In the ten years ending in 2014, it's estimated 40,000 people died trying to cross international borders globally. Much of which is a result of the War on Terror, which also greatly spiked the number of deaths of people crossing our border with Mexico.
   1134. Srul Itza Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5697212)
Sorry, too late to edit but the latter should have been Gorsuch. Thomas wrote a concurring decision, but it really didn't say much. (And in the FWIW I tend to think that something close to 99% of concurrences, certainly not limited to Thomas, are just 'hey look at me' rather than anything of any real import that future litigants or legislators can use.)

I think you still got it wrong. Gorsuch and Thomas both wrote concurrences, essentially to state their disagreement with negative/dormant Commerce Clause jurisprudence. CJ Roberts wrote the dissent.

We may never know to what extent being able to evade sales tax assisted in the rise of E-Commerce. It is now so ubiquitous, that I doubt that finally imposing taxes will suddenly bring it to a halt.

I think it might be the case that the original ruling was (leaving aside whether it was the correct jurisprudence), in the long run, a good idea insofar as it helped to spur the growth of e-commerce, and that the change is also a good idea, insofar as e-commerce has fully matured and will now have to pay its fair share of state taxes.

The fact the Congress kept silent after the first ruling, and will probably stay silent after this one, can be read as agreement with this analysis -- even if the real reason is the total dysfunction into which that institution has descended.
   1135. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5697214)
I'd rather have the state sales tax automatically added to my online purchases, but that's much more a case of simplifying my tax returns, not ideology.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you are engaging in hyperbole and, instead, like roughly 99.999% of people, are not paying taxes on items ordered on-line where the seller doesn't include it. I have zero idea about sales tax in DC (or MD if you live on the other side of that line) but for most folks, this will result in increased spend on on-line items and increased revenue from a regressive tax for many of the states.

Look, all I know is that 99% of my online purchases are for books from Amazon, which charges me Maryland sales tax and saves me the trouble of having to keep track of it It's purely a case of convenience, and it's for the same reason I have my stockbrokers deduct federal and state taxes from my dividends so I always get refunds rather than having to write a pair of checks every April. Items like appliances I research online but buy in a local brick and mortar store.

And when I had my book shop, 99% of my sales were over the counter, with the sales tax automatically added.

None of which has anything to do with my opinion of sales taxes, which if it were up to me would be eliminated completely, with the revenue shortfall made up for by a corresponding increase in the state income tax. I don't like regressive taxes any more than it seems you do, but I also don't like unnecessary paperwork.
   1136. Random Transaction Generator Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5697215)
Imagine if HRC had worn a coat with that message.

Or, heaven forbid, Michelle Obama!

FOX news went bonkers for Barack's tan suit and Michelle's bare arms...imagine a poorly thought out message on a jacket!
They would have fainted in their chairs!
   1137. perros Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:44 PM (#5697218)
Hidden message??? That #### was spelled out ALL CAPS.

Perhaps you need your children taken away...
   1138. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5697221)
You'd think that after posting article after article gloating how Trump's been able to ram his judicial nominees through the Senate, Clapper would just be happy, rather than pretend that the ideology of those judges was somehow unfathomable. I know damn well that I'd be gloating if I were in his place and the roles were reversed.

I've never said that ideology didn't matter, just that it is less precise and predictive than some contend, or at minimum, should be. How many had the Wisconsin redistricting case 9-0?
   1139. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5697225)
Hidden message??? That #### was spelled out ALL CAPS.

Perhaps you need your children taken away...

Deport her.
   1140. . Posted: June 21, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5697228)
The Make America Stay White

Umm ... Earth to Zonk?

America is not White.(*) Maybe if you came back and took a closer look, you'd notice.

(*) And therefore cannot "Stay White."
   1141. Shredder Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5697234)
Look, all I know is that 99% of my online purchases are for books from Amazon, which charges me Maryland sales tax and saves me the trouble of having to keep track of it It's purely a case of convenience
Amazon does now, but they changed their business model, and collecting sales seller's use tax was an inevitability. They went from "Best Buy with no tax" to "You can buy everything under the sun here and get it tomorrow, or maybe even today, without having to interact with a real human". Of course, they cut huge incentive deals with states on other taxes, which made agreeing to collect and remit use tax on their customers' behalf a much easier pill to swallow.

There are still a ton of questions that states are going to need to answer, mostly how not to completely hose small businesses with a massive new compliance burden. That said, you can ignore anyone who ever brings up the ridiculously dumb "There are 12,000 different tax jurisdictions" line of bullcrap. Filing returns in every state is a pain (less so if your sales are smaller and you filing frequency is semi-annually or annually), but it's not a 12,000 jurisdictions pain. Also, bear in mind that our per return fee probably ranges from $35-$60, which tells you how much time is spent on each return in a firm with professionals that bill out from $100-$900 per hour. It's not rocket science. I mean, the Tax Foundation will tell you that there are 1,500 different tax jurisdictions in Texas alone. You know how many returns you need to file in Texas to take care of all of those? 1.

It's weird, I have either sat through or presented at about 150 different sales/use tax training sessions. The first 15 minutes of each one is now completely obsolete.
   1142. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:02 PM (#5697235)

It takes a really special frau to #### up the Theresienstadt photo op...
   1143. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5697240)
Imagine if HRC had worn a coat with that message.

If Hillary had sported that coat into a meeting of Trump supporting coal miners, she'd never have gotten out alive. Or if she'd managed to survive with all her limbs intact, the coat would've been featured on the next 999 Fox News shows and every Trump commercial.

But in Melania's case, it just shows that she's got a playful sense of humor. Or something like that.
   1144. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5697243)
I'd still like to know - as do many Democratic Reps and Senators - why it is the DHS/HHS rules that requires 2 weeks advance notice AND prior approval to visit the trump camps don't apply to the first lady.

Do first ladies have some additional oversight powers that congress does not?
   1145. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5697245)
I always get refunds rather than having to write a pair of checks every April.

When you get a refund, you're giving the government an interest-free loan on your money; if you owe, you're receiving an interest-free loan from the government. Your choice.
   1146. . Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5697246)
But in Melania's case, it just shows that she's got a playful sense of humor. Or something like that.

Or that nobody gives a #### about her beyond a few obsessives. Whereas Clinton wanted to be president.
   1147. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5697249)
Look, all I know is that 99% of my online purchases are for books from Amazon, which charges me Maryland sales tax and saves me the trouble of having to keep track of it It's purely a case of convenience

Amazon does now, but they changed their business model, and collecting sales seller's use tax was an inevitability. They went from "Best Buy with no tax" to "You can buy everything under the sun here and get it tomorrow, or maybe even today, without having to interact with a real human". Of course, they cut huge incentive deals with states on other taxes, which made agreeing to collect and remit use tax on their customers' behalf a much easier pill to swallow.

All I know is that I've been charged sales tax on every book I've bought from Amazon for the last many years, including the last one just 2 weeks ago. Again, when it comes to my own purchases, all I care about sales taxes is not having to think about them. I buy close to 100 books a year online, but in the greater scheme of things the sales taxes on them amount to chump change, especially given the insanely low prices on hardback books these days.

There are still a ton of questions that states are going to need to answer, mostly how not to completely hose small businesses with a massive new compliance burden. That said, you can ignore anyone who ever brings up the ridiculously dumb "There are 12,000 different tax jurisdictions" line of bullcrap. Filing returns in every state is a pain (less so if your sales are smaller and you filing frequency is semi-annually or annually), but it's not a 12,000 jurisdictions pain. Also, bear in mind that our per return fee probably ranges from $35-$60, which tells you how much time is spent on each return in a firm with professionals that bill out from $100-$900 per hour. It's not rocket science. I mean, the Tax Foundation will tell you that there are 1,500 different tax jurisdictions in Texas alone. You know how many returns you need to file in Texas to take care of all of those? 1.

And you know how many returns anyone would have to file if they just did the right thing and got rid of sales taxes? 0.
   1148. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5697251)
Umm ... Earth to Zonk?

America is not White.(*) Maybe if you came back and took a closer look, you'd notice.
Yeah, and apparently some are still bitter about that...
   1149. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5697253)
Starting their career breaking a campaign promise might have some electoral consequences down the road

That would differentiate the Dems from the GOP, of course.
   1150. Shredder Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:20 PM (#5697254)
And you know how many returns anyone would have to file if they just did the right thing and got rid of sales taxes? 0.
Hey man, screw you! My mortgage ain't gonna pay itself. :)
   1151. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5697255)
Hot Dammmmmnnnn

This is just your standard web-based 'introduce the candidate' ad - though, you can easily see it being cut down into a TV spot.

But wow - MJ Hegar is the Democrat running TX-31 against John Carter. This is an R+10 district north of Austin and nobody's ever come within 20 points of Carter in the 8 times he's run, but jeebus. If candidate quality matters? The lady's gonna take him to the woodshed.

It's pretty rare that a candidate's ad moves to make a donation, but I just tossed her 20 bucks. That's one helluva an introduction.

EDIT: She also gets bonus points for using the word "Democrat", the word "tea party", and also - having a Cubs pennant hanging in one of the shots in the ad.
   1152. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:21 PM (#5697256)
There are still a ton of questions that states are going to need to answer, mostly how not to completely hose small businesses with a massive new compliance burden.

As a small business owner I can tell you collecting sales tax is about the least burdensome regulation I deal with. It takes me about 15 minutes every month to file. Every bookkeeping software in existence will quickly calculate sales tax on every sale for you, including online carts.

This is a boon to small business and brick and mortar. I have to pass on a 10.1% fee on everything I sell and every service I offer. Now, the playing field is leveled.
   1153. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5697257)

I suspect in Melania's case it means precisely what it says. Not that she doesn't care about the concentration camp kids. But that she doesn't care about being "first lady" and this is way more than she contracted for when she started boning the fat tub of lard for inheritance rights.
   1154. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5697258)
I always get refunds rather than having to write a pair of checks every April.

When you get a refund, you're giving the government an interest-free loan on your money; if you owe, you're receiving an interest-free loan from the government. Your choice.

Absolutely, and I choose to get the refund. I determined long ago not to sweat relatively small amounts of money, but when I do, I deal with the urge by recording movies for a quarter a shot instead of buying them from commercial outlets for 10 to 30 bucks. That alone saves me far more money every year than I lose by giving the government that interest-free loan. I like to keep things simple.
   1155. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5697259)

A rare agreement with Clapper.

I usually come up short - but my aim is always to owe money come the new year, not expect a refund.
   1156. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:32 PM (#5697261)
Hot Dammmmmnnnn

This is just your standard web-based 'introduce the candidate' ad - though, you can easily see it being cut down into a TV spot.

But wow - MJ Hegar is the Democrat running TX-31 against John Carter. This is an R+10 district north of Austin and nobody's ever come within 20 points of Carter in the 8 times he's run, but jeebus. If candidate quality matters? The lady's gonna take him to the woodshed.

It's pretty rare that a candidate's ad moves to make a donation, but I just tossed her 20 bucks. That's one helluva an introduction.

That tattoo in the opening shot sealed the deal for me. M.J. Hegar would be welcome in any pool room I've ever been in, no matter the racial or ethnic mix. Whoever composed that ad should be immediately hired by the DNC.

Now where can the Democrats find about 470 more candidates like that?
   1157. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5697263)
A rare agreement with Clapper.

I agree with him 100% on the merits of America's (baseball) Team. One agreement is enough.
   1158. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:34 PM (#5697264)

Rep. Mike Coffman
‏Verified account @RepMikeCoffman
58m58 minutes ago

or some other senior leadership figure on the job of making sure each and every child is returned to their parents. And the President should fire Stephen Miller now. This is a human rights mess. It is on the President to clean it up and fire the people responsible for making it.
457 replies 794 retweets 2,537 likes

1159. perros Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:36 PM (#5697265)
I suspect in Melania's case it means precisely what it says. Not that she doesn't care about the concentration camp kids. But that she doesn't care about being "first lady" and this is way more than she contracted for when she started boning the fat tub of lard for inheritance rights.

Being a billionaire's wife means not having to care. Still, she made her deal, and here's hoping Trump pulls a Nelson Rockefeller on her.
   1160. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5697267)
That said, you can ignore anyone who ever brings up the ridiculously dumb "There are 12,000 different tax jurisdictions" line of bullcrap. Filing returns in every state is a pain (less so if your sales are smaller and you filing frequency is semi-annually or annually), but it's not a 12,000 jurisdictions pain. Also, bear in mind that our per return fee probably ranges from $35-$60, which tells you how much time is spent on each return in a firm with professionals that bill out from $100-$900 per hour. It's not rocket science. I mean, the Tax Foundation will tell you that there are 1,500 different tax jurisdictions in Texas alone. You know how many returns you need to file in Texas to take care of all of those? 1.
This completely misunderstands the substance of the complaint. It's not that you have to file 12,000 separate returns; it's that the laws are different in each of those jurisdictions. Different things are exempt or taxed depending on jurisdiction, and those laws are pretty darn arbitrary. Quoting from Roberts' dissent:
A few examples: New Jersey knit- ters pay sales tax on yarn purchased for art projects, but not on yarn earmarked for sweaters. See Brief for eBay, Inc., et al. as Amici Curiae 8, n. 3 (eBay Brief). Texas taxes sales of plain deodorant at 6.25 percent but imposes no tax on deodorant with antiperspirant. See id., at 7. Illinois categorizes Twix and Snickers bars—chocolate- and-caramel confections usually displayed side-by-side in the candy aisle—as food and candy, respectively (Twix have flour; Snickers don’t), and taxes them differently. See id., at 8; Brief for Etsy, Inc., as Amicus Curiae 14–17 (Etsy Brief) (providing additional illustrations).
   1161. perros Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:41 PM (#5697268)
What's the deal with mocking Trump's lack of PR to cover for his not giving a #### what people think? Would you prefer to pretend every thing is hunky dory like Clapper and Co?

The truth is the system has grown cancerous enough to produce a Trump presidency. There's no going back to normal, or even a sense of normality, even if we amputate and eviscerate this miserable growth of a man.
   1162. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:44 PM (#5697270)
There's no going back to normal, or even a sense of normality, even if we amputate and eviscerate this miserable growth of a man.
Germany survived Real Hitler, we will survive Clown Hitler.

Sending optimistic thoughts your way.
   1163. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:45 PM (#5697271)
Being a billionaire's wife means not having to care. Still, she made her deal, and here's hoping Trump pulls a Nelson Rockefeller on her.

My sentiment as the same as with any rich, incredibly privileged person ######## about life: STFU and own it. YOU came to the US on the "escort's visa" (I mean model's visa, oops), you chose to marry for money to a soulless POS.

##### please. "I don't care". If only the children ripped from their mothers' arms could be so flip. #### off. Your life ain't hard for ####. You'll never know the hardship and desperation of poverty or choices (join a gang or get shot, join a gang or travel 3K miles to the US border) that are one bad option versus another.

Really pisses me off.
   1164. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:45 PM (#5697272)
Rep. Mike Coffman
‏Verified account @RepMikeCoffman
58m58 minutes ago

or some other senior leadership figure on the job of making sure each and every child is returned to their parents. And the President should fire Stephen Miller now. This is a human rights mess. It is on the President to clean it up and fire the people responsible for making it.
457 replies 794 retweets 2,537 likes

Here's another piece of work congressional candidate the GOP primaries have just awarded us, one who like Miller, is also (alas) a Duke alum. He was (how surprising) a notorious Chickenhawk during the Vietnam war, and this is his latest contribution to human knowledge:

'Diversity is a bunch of crap and un-American,' South Jersey congressional candidate Seth Grossman says
“The whole idea of diversity is a bunch of crap and un-American,” Grossman said at a GOP campaign forum held April 21 in Pittsgrove, Salem County. That comment, captured on video, was filmed by American Bridge to the 21st Century, a Washington-based political action committee that monitors Republican candidates. It was provided to the Inquirer and Daily News shortly after the June 5 primary.

In the two-minute video clip, Grossman calls diversity “an excuse by Democrats, communists, and socialists, basically, to say that we’re not all created equal; that some people, if somebody is lesser qualified, they will get a job anyway, or they’ll get into college anyway, because of the tribe that they’re with, what group, what box they fit into.”

He also insults Kim Guadagno, the former Republican lieutenant governor who ran and lost to Phil Murphy in the New Jersey governor’s race, suggesting she was only nominated because she is a woman. He yearns for a time when women did not have to work, and says a tightening of immigration laws should appeal to African Americans.

“So that’s the diversity box, and I think Republicans make a big mistake when we nominate lesser-qualified candidates because they fit into that box,” Grossman says on the video. “I believe that’s why Republicans nominated Kim Guadagno instead of Jack Ciattarelli last time. Oh, she’s a woman; she’ll get more votes, because we’re showing how diverse we are. Look how that turned out.”

Monday morning, Grossman said he recalled making the comments at the forum, sponsored by New Jersey Constitutional Republicans, and stood by them. ...

Just your typical Cadet Bone Spurs Republican, nothing to see here. I'm sure JE will vouch for his character.
   1165. Shredder Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5697273)
This completely misunderstands the substance of the complaint. It's not that you have to file 12,000 separate returns; it's that the laws are different in each of those jurisdictions.
This is 100% not true, of course. The fact that certain jurisdictions may treat similar items differently has nothing to do with the number of jurisdictions. You can quibble whether antiperspirant has medicinal value and should be treated differently than deodorant, but the fact is that their treatment is uniform throughout the state of Texas. That has nothing to do with the number of jurisdictions. None of the examples you cited has to do with the number of jurisdictions. At all. You may notice they talk about New Jersey, Texas, and Illinois. Those are states. There are 45 of them that impose sales and use taxes (47 if you count D.C. and P.R.). Not 12,000.
   1166. perros Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:50 PM (#5697274)
Sending optimistic thoughts your way.

Planning to go to the pound and save a pup, but kinda dreading a visit to death row. The county animal shelter is little different than the prison just down the street. The clerks are stationed behind secured booths with fortified glass.

What a world.
   1167. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5697275)
And speaking of Stephen Miller....

Trump aide Stephen Miller, meet your great-grandfather, who flunked his naturalization test
A photo of Nison (aka Max) Miller stares out from the screen, sullen and stern, in faded black and white. “Order of Court Denying Petition” is the title of the government form dated “14th November 1932,” to which it is attached, the one in which Miller is applying for naturalization as an American citizen.

And beneath the photo, the reason given for his denial: Ignorance.

Nison Miller is the great-grandfather of White House adviser Stephen Miller, who has taken credit for being one of the chief architects of the administration’s family separation policy. And this 85-year-old document is just one bit of ammunition in a campaign being waged by the unofficial band that goes by the hashtag #Resistance Genealogy.

Believing that the past is prologue, they search online archives for nuggets about the ancestors of public figures and politicians who disparage today’s immigrants. They use tools they developed as a personal hobby to make the point that people like Miller are holding newcomers to a standard that their own forebears could not meet.

“Unless your ancestors came on a slave ship or you’re Native American,” you came here as an immigrant, says Jennifer Mendelsohn, who created the #resistancegenealogy hashtag last summer after Republican congressman Steve King or Iowa was quoted as saying “We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies.” So she went on a genealogy website and quickly documented that King’s own grandmother was one such baby, arriving in 1894 from Germany as a 4-year-old, along with her infant siblings.

“The point isn’t to play ‘gotcha,’” says Renee Stern Steinig, a former president of the Jewish Genealogy Society of Long Island, who first found the Miller naturalization application last summer. “It’s to show that we are a nation of immigrants, and you are here because someone else picked up and came here for a better life.” In fact, she is careful to point out that Miller’s great-grandfather being labeled “Ignorant” on that application was probably because he slipped up on a few questions on his citizenship test, not because he was in fact stupid or unworthy of being a citizen — an example of the same harsh, presumptive judgment that she believes is being used against today’s immigrants. Eventually he retook the test and became a citizen. ...
   1168. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 21, 2018 at 05:59 PM (#5697277)
There's no going back to normal, or even a sense of normality, even if we amputate and eviscerate this miserable growth of a man.

That's no reason not to do so.
   1169. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:07 PM (#5697280)

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

“I REALLY DON’T CARE, DO U?” written on the back of Melania’s jacket, refers to the Fake News Media. Melania has learned how dishonest they are, and she truly no longer cares!
2:51 PM - 21 Jun 2018

Just stop already
   1170. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:14 PM (#5697283)
It's not that you have to file 12,000 separate returns; it's that the laws are different in each of those jurisdictions.

Somewhat relatedly, while people may be [reluctantly] OK with paying their home-state's sales tax on items they buy from Amazon, many won't be OK with also paying South Dakota sales tax on the item if it happens to be shipped from a South Dakota warehouse and that state decides to maximize its revenue by taxing such transactions. Even if your-home state gives you a credit for out-of-state sales tax paid, it may not be that simple to claim it. Congress could address the issue, but probably wouldn't unless the need to do so becomes readily apparent. Or maybe folks will become more tolerant of double-taxation than I imagine.
   1171. Lassus Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:15 PM (#5697284)
Is this old news? . I haven't kept track in the thread.
Early Wednesday morning, the station shot exclusive video of some unusual activity at a foster agency in East Harlem.

Sources tipped off NY1's Josh Robin to go to the Cayuga Centers facility in East Harlem.

He was told that kids separated from their parents along the southern U.S. border would be brought there.

The video, shot at 12:45 a.m., shows five girls, accompanied by two Spanish-speaking women, being led into the lobby of the building where the Cayuga Centers is housed.

A woman they were with emphatically denied they had been separated from their parents. But in an interview with NY1, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said those girls were part of the approximately 2,000 kids recently separated from their parents along the southern border.

"That's what the facilities have told us," Cuomo told NY1's Roma Torre.

The children eventually went into the lobby and asked for six on the buzzer to be pressed, the number for Cayuga.

About an hour later, they left with coverings shielding them, with no one offering any comment.
This is just pathetic.
   1172. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:19 PM (#5697286)
R.I.P. Charles Krauthammer
   1173. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:24 PM (#5697289)

Woah woah woah, lets not jump the gun here. I don’t think we should make any assumptions on the meaning, or indeed even the veracity of this purported jacket until we hear from our own BBTF in-house expert on symbolism and iconography. Until Yankee Clapper, AKA “The Maltese Blumpkin”, deigns to provide the detailed analysis for which he is known, I will reserve judgement,
   1174. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:25 PM (#5697291)
This is just pathetic.

Just wait.

The stories keep rolling in on the mind-boggling... well, if it's not pure evil, you tell me a better word - that the record keeping has been for an absolute ####. Toddlers who barely can say their name, much less have an ability to converse even in their native language - while the parent or parents are being adjudicated in groups of dozens at once where they can barely object over the shitty records that say they had a girl with them when it was a boy.

It's utterly appalling.

1175. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:27 PM (#5697294)

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
   1176. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:30 PM (#5697296)
It's utterly appalling.

As I posted late the other night, if the Trump admin was in charge of the MTA, you'd be better off taking a pedicap to an uber to a water taxi to get across the boroughs.

Not only is the admin spectacularly cruel -- it's incompetent to its core.

If the Trump admin does invade a country in the ME they'll probably bring Spanish translators and outfit the troops in the forest camo.
   1177. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:32 PM (#5697297)
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

he's alright. I can reason with conservatives like Krauthammer and David. Can't reason with the Trumpkins.
   1178. Joe Bivens, Slack Rumped Rutabaga Head Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5697298)
he's alright.

No, he's dead.
   1179. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:35 PM (#5697299)
No, he's dead.

I mostly know him through his endless columns in the Post when I was living there. Quite the disconnect between his personal values and his political ones imo.
   1180. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:36 PM (#5697300)
Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

“I REALLY DON’T CARE, DO U?” written on the back of Melania’s jacket, refers to the Fake News Media. Melania has learned how dishonest they are, and she truly no longer cares!
2:51 PM - 21 Jun 2018

Fake News. Why don’t you post a link to Twitter so people can read it for themselves?
   1181. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:47 PM (#5697303)
'Compromise' bill in the house previously postponed now cancelled entirely.

The GOP House is the ORGANIZED, EFFICIENT, AND FORWARD-LOOKING arm of the GOP compared to the White House.

Consider that for a moment...
   1182. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:53 PM (#5697305)
The GOP House is the ORGANIZED, EFFICIENT, AND FORWARD-LOOKING arm of the GOP compared to the White House.

Oh yeah? Well Nancy Pelosi is OLD. So there!
   1183. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5697306)
None of the examples you cited has to do with the number of jurisdictions. At all. You may notice they talk about New Jersey, Texas, and Illinois. Those are states. There are 45 of them that impose sales and use taxes (47 if you count D.C. and P.R.). Not 12,000.
The fact that the three examples I gave happened to be statewide ones does not mean that the laws only vary on a state-by-state basis. One obvious example is the Bloombergian soda taxes, which a bunch of far-left-wing cities have imposed.

(Also, note that there are some local sales taxes in some of the states that don’t have sales taxes. And contrary to your claim, some jurisdictions, not just states, require separate sales tax filing.)
   1184. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:03 PM (#5697307)

Seconded, even though obviously I seldom agreed with his writings, going back to when he was with The New Republic under Marty Peretz. But he could write clearly, and his opinions were based on historical fact, even if he didn't always interpret those facts the way that I would.

And his widow is a dear. She used to buy many posters and books from my shop to take home to him.
   1185. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:19 PM (#5697316)
I know this is an ancient Ray quip, but I live in the dumping capital of San Francisco. Which also has it's share of construction work done by illegal immigrants. I very rarely see construction debris dumped.

As I pointed out to Ray at the time, illegal immigrants aren’t demolishing homes on spec. They’re working for contractors. If there were construction debris being illegally dumped, it would be by the contractor, not the immigrants.

Kitchen or bathroom remods are not "demolishing homes." They produce debris that fits in the back of a pickup and can be dumped. And a ton of that work is done by illegal immigrants.

That said, I don't blame the workers for dumping the stuff on the sidewalks -- well, I do, but in terms of creating and solving the problem I blame the state and local governments, for charging people to deposit the debris in their landfills or waste areas. Among the very very few good uses of tax dollars would be to prevent neighborhoods from becoming trash ridden.
   1186. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:21 PM (#5697317)

Heard many words of his broadcasts.
   1187. perros Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:39 PM (#5697322)
from the 2002 vote that created ICE..

Barbara Lee - NO
Bernie Sanders - NO
Nancy Pelosi - NO
Russ Feingold - NO
Nydia Velazquez - NO

Hillary Clinton - YES
Carolyn Maloney - YES
Joe Crowley - YES
Chuck Schumer - YES
Diane Feinstein - YES
   1188. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 07:57 PM (#5697344)
I have loathed talking head pundit shows much of my adult life, but count me in if Krauthammer was on a panel. Always enjoyed him on Brit Hume's show w Mara Liasson and whoever else was on.
   1189. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 08:05 PM (#5697355)
My lasting memory of Krauthammer is from early 2003 when the Great War of Adventure in Iraq was in its earliest, headiest, most glorious stage. The statues of Saddam were torn down by the US Army as part of a PR event happy Iraqis and it was all candy and flowers and “whisky democracy sexy!”

Krauthammer went on one of the Sunday shows and smugly said that in the spirit of national unity and reconciliation he was willing to accept the apologies of all Americans who thought the Great War of Adventure was going to be anything less than a rousing and overwhelming success for America and America’s great heroes such as George Dubya Bush. He cautioned they should apologize for their skepticism quickly, because the irrefutable evidence of Iraqi Weapons of Mass Destruction was close at hand.

So #### that guy. Throw him in a mass grave with all of the collateral damage he was masturbating over.
   1190. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 08:52 PM (#5697420)

Fifteen years is an awfully long time to be holding a grudge over a political position you disagreed with.
   1191. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 21, 2018 at 08:55 PM (#5697423)
Fifteen years is an awfully long time to be holding a grudge over a political position you disagreed with.

You're turning into a troll. Calling what Krauthammer said, if the description is accurate, "a political position" is a bit much.
   1192. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:17 PM (#5697448)
He wasn't a Trumpkin. Wasn't a NeverTrumper either, but I suppose I wouldn't call him a Trumpkin.

His pre-Trump sins mean that's the best I can say for him...
   1193. Shredder Posted: June 21, 2018 at 09:58 PM (#5697507)
One obvious example is the Bloombergian soda taxes, which a bunch of far-left-wing cities have imposed.
Those are not sales taxes and have no relevance to today's decision, nor are they included in the Tax Foundation's "12,000 jurisdictions!!" nonsense.
   1194. Ray (CTL) Posted: June 21, 2018 at 10:37 PM (#5697563)
Bair, reading a question: "Morris Polander says, what's the difference between a Democrat and a socialist?"

Krauthammer: "A Democrat is a socialist with a filter."
   1195. Chicago Joe Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:26 PM (#5697609)
Shredder, are you based in Illinois? Asking for, uh, a friend.
   1196. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:36 PM (#5697614)
It's probably already been noted by those who care, but the Federal District Court in NY has found the structure of the Consumer Financial Protection Board unconstitutional, focusing on the purported limitations on the power of the President to remove the CFPB Director. No mention of the end-run on the Congressional appropriations process, which I believe is equally worthy of attention. As mentioned here previously, the District Court in DC made a similar finding that was reversed by the DC Circuit. There are a couple more cases percolating up in other locations, and Supreme Court review seems increasingly likely.
   1197. Shredder Posted: June 21, 2018 at 11:56 PM (#5697623)
Shredder, are you based in Illinois? Asking for, uh, a friend.
Yup.
   1198. Chicago Joe Posted: June 22, 2018 at 12:25 AM (#5697629)
Er, is there any way I could set up an informal consultation?
   1199. tshipman Posted: June 22, 2018 at 12:27 AM (#5697630)
Kitchen or bathroom remods are not "demolishing homes." They produce debris that fits in the back of a pickup and can be dumped. And a ton of that work is done by illegal immigrants.

That said, I don't blame the workers for dumping the stuff on the sidewalks -- well, I do, but in terms of creating and solving the problem I blame the state and local governments, for charging people to deposit the debris in their landfills or waste areas. Among the very very few good uses of tax dollars would be to prevent neighborhoods from becoming trash ridden.

I literally have never in my life seen the trash from a bathroom or kitchen remodel dumped on a sidewalk.
   1200. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 22, 2018 at 12:49 AM (#5697632)
Flip.
Page 12 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.