Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, December 30, 2011

Images of 2011: Baltimore. Game 162. A series.

All images are Creative Commons by Keith Allison (who I used yesterday, but the guy is probably the best photographer on flickr who puts his stuff up under Creative Commons)

Gamingboy Posted: December 30, 2011 at 04:58 PM | 14 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: community, special topics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Davo Dozier (Mastroianni) Posted: December 30, 2011 at 11:13 PM (#4026001)
For mostly irrational reasons, I'm a big Robert Andino fan--I think he's poised for a big breakout year, with a shot at being a (token Orioles) All-Star in 2012.

I had completely forgotten that he was the one who won Game 162.
   2. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: December 31, 2011 at 06:35 AM (#4026135)
Having now had put some time between Game 162, I think it falls as the second or third craziest thing I've ever seen in a baseball game. Number one is Brosius' HR in the 2001 World Series--which even now seems too bizarre to be real--and the Netherlands coming back to beat the DR in the World Baseball Classic is vying for second place.
   3. birdlives is one crazy ninja Posted: December 31, 2011 at 06:48 AM (#4026138)
Robert Andino strutting off the field like he's Scarface is one of my favorite baseball moments.
   4. Don Lock Posted: December 31, 2011 at 05:23 PM (#4026241)
Love the RedSox guy in the fourth picture just stroking his neck and looking out at the field.

"Hmm, I guess we could have had the wedding in October. Looks like I won't be working that weekend..."
   5. Don Malcolm Posted: January 01, 2012 at 12:06 AM (#4026425)
Yes, it was simply inconceivable that Crawford would NOT catch that ball...and Andino earned a spot in the all-time top ten of Unlikeliest to Succeed as a result.

Carl should have sent Adam Dunn an Xmas card this year, thanking him for lapping the field in terms of megabucks "fall down go boom" contracts.

Only way to improve the visual sequence above would be to put timestamps on the photos. IIRC, it took about four minutes to find out that the Rays had beaten the Yanks after Carl's un-catch.
   6. Gamingboy Posted: January 01, 2012 at 01:35 AM (#4026456)

Only way to improve the visual sequence above would be to put timestamps on the photos. IIRC, it took about four minutes to find out that the Rays had beaten the Yanks after Carl's un-catch.

There was a great article in SI a few weeks back (I think it was the one that had Coach K and Summit on it). Great read if you can find it. Somebody really should write a book about that night.
   7. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 01, 2012 at 01:48 AM (#4026461)
Noooooo!! Nooooooooooo!!! My EYES!!!!
   8. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 01, 2012 at 01:53 AM (#4026464)
Somehow I've developed a real distance from the collapse itself - realizing that apparently the players and manager were as miserable as I was helps. But game 162, as surreal as it was, I really was totally confident the Sox were going to playoffs. I'm an idiot, perhaps, but I really thought that night was going to work out.
   9. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: January 01, 2012 at 01:54 AM (#4026465)
Yes, it was simply inconceivable that Crawford would NOT catch that ball...and Andino earned a spot in the all-time top ten of Unlikeliest to Succeed as a result.

Surpassed in unlikeliness just a few minutes later, by a redheaded former top Oakland prospect down in Tropicana Field!
   10. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: January 01, 2012 at 02:09 AM (#4026474)
Surpassed in unlikeliness just a few minutes later, by a redheaded former top Oakland prospect down in Tropicana Field!

Actually, the Dan Johnson come run came well before that, in the bottom of the 9th to tie. Longoria's game winning HR in the bottom of the 12th came a few minutes after Andino's hit.
   11. tfbg9 Posted: January 01, 2012 at 02:40 AM (#4026481)
The reason(s) Cashman acquired Proctor was in case they needed a guy to reliablly stink enough for a possible "Lets's screw-over Boston if the cards play-out that way/Let's help out an old friend" tank job/good deed.

He can read a schedule and has an imagination. Well done, Malicious Elf...well done.
   12. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: January 01, 2012 at 02:57 AM (#4026487)
The reason(s) Cashman acquired Proctor was in case they needed a guy to reliablly stink enough for a possible "Lets's screw-over Boston if the cards play-out that way/Let's help out an old friend" tank job/good deed.

He can read a schedule and has an imagination. Well done, Malicious Elf...well done.

That really was pretty damn cunning and foresighted on Cashman's part, since on the day that Proctor was signed by the Yankees, the Red Sox were in 1st place in the AL East and 8 games ahead of their closest possible wild card competition. But then since Cashman's been caught sending rubber crutches and amphetamines to Jimmy Fund kids, I guess anything's possible when you've an evil mind like that at work.
   13. ray james Posted: January 01, 2012 at 02:58 AM (#4026488)
Love the RedSox guy in the fourth picture just stroking his neck and looking out at the field.

That's Lowrie. He'll be stroking his neck for another team next year.
   14. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: January 01, 2012 at 04:19 AM (#4026502)
Actually, the Dan Johnson come run

That's, uh, not a good typo.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Guts
for his generous support.