Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 13, 2014

In the Mets Locker Room, an Old Slur Resurfaces

In the New York Mets locker room Monday morning, I was talking with Jeff Cutler, a 30-year old Japanese American from suburban Boston who serves as the interpreter for Japanese-born pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka.

We were talking casually about Asian communities in America when we heard a voice behind us.

“Jeff!”

Cutler and I turned around. It was Dan Warthen, the Mets pitching coach.

“I’m sorry I called you a ‘Chinaman’ yesterday,” Warthen told Cutler.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM | 308 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: general, mets, new york, new york mets, race in baseball

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4
   301. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 21, 2014 at 01:57 PM (#4674922)

Primey for #300
   302. Joe Kehoskie Posted: March 21, 2014 at 04:07 PM (#4675003)
Just to be clear..."outing" someone on the site will get you permanently banned.

Understood, both then and now. Without reading through ~100 pages of OTP threads from two years ago, I'm 99 percent sure I didn't threaten to out 'formerly dp' at BBTF — i.e., so other people at BBTF would know who he was. And if I outed him but did so anonymously, no meaningful sanction could attach anyway (which I'm saying not as a threat, but to underscore my point with regards to anonymous activity/behavior).

Joe, there are major differences between 1) speech in an internet forum and speech in the workplace, 2) anonymous and pseudonymous speech, and 3) jokes and threats. Maybe some patient soul will explain these to you.

I don't expect you to understand how seriously I take what I do for a living, but if you had doxed me, it could have had real repercussions for my ability to do my job effectively. I could explain the particulars-- and they're not what you think-- but I don't owe it to you to do so. I don't care that you know who I am-- if I did I wouldn't volunteer *any* biographical details-- but I do care that a member of the BTF community threatened to take active steps intended to harm my career and my livelihood, in an effort to bully me into altering the way I express myself on BTF. That you're patting yourself on the back for it, and congratulating yourself as some sort noble vigilante, rather than hanging your head in shame over the behavior, speaks volumes about your character. My thinking at the time was precisely this: I value what I do too much to put it at risk over an argument with an internet troll, and if posting to BTF is going to expose me to the sorts of people willing to take direct action to harm me, better to just not do so.

So the fact that you don't see what you did as crossing a line is extremely troubling. I read your initial post in 2012 several times, because in over ten years here I had never seen another community member make an actionable threat against another-- and there was no other way to interpret it. Others in this thread obviously agree with that interpretation now, and expressed to me then that they felt similarly. After giving it some time, I was content to let the issue slide, and assume that you regretted the behavior. But that's apparently not the case. So congrats on being an internet bully incapable of simply responding to speech with speech. And congrats on being the second poster in 10 years to make my ignore list.

I would prefer it if you would take a similar action-- it's really easy-- and we'll just agree to not interact with each other on this site again.

Ignoring the litany of distortions, misrepresentations, and omissions, the above is just a whiny rationalization from someone who doesn't have the courage of his convictions. No surprise there — it was why I called 'formerly dp' on his behavior two years ago.

'formerly dp' wants to have it both ways: On the one hand, he has provided copious amounts of biographical information here — usually for purposes of bolstering the many appeals to authority he engages in — to the point that it literally took 2 minutes to figure out his name. But on the other, he claims his thinly veiled "anonymity" should shield him from any repercussions for the nasty things he says here, not only due to Jim's rules but also due to the highly dubious claim that internet custom grants anonymity even to people who have previously identified themselves (or all but identified themselves).

As I mentioned earlier, and as anyone with an IQ over room temperature understands, if a person wants anonymity, it's up to them to maintain it. They can't provide everything but their SSN and medical history and then try to unring the bell by claiming to be anonymous when people connect two or three dots.

'formerly dp' claims his thinly veiled anonymity should exempt him from facing the same sort of repercussions for vile speech that he demands others — such as Dan Warthen — face for their speech. It's a clear case of self-interested hypocrisy. If Warthen walked around the Mets clubhouse wearing a lucha libre mask and hurling insults and death threats at people, would 'formerly dp' have been cool with that because Warthen was acting anonymously? Of course not. Likewise, if Warthen maintained a thinly veiled BBTF or Twitter account from which he spouted vile speech, no one would just shrug and say, "Well, he was claiming to be anonymous, so it's no big deal."

As for the "ignore" silliness, I've never used it before and I'm not going to use it now. 'formerly dp' is the one who has long seemed to respond to the sight of my name like Pavlov's dogs responded to the bell. As he well knows, I've never gone out of my way to interact with him, and except for the entertainment value of his faux-intellectual pomposity, doing so has never been all that much fun.
   303. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 21, 2014 at 04:31 PM (#4675023)
The snitchy wheel gets the grease. So principled.
   304. Joe Kehoskie Posted: March 21, 2014 at 04:37 PM (#4675029)
The snitchy wheel gets the grease. So principled.

Yes, I agree Stu Woo's actions were wrong. Glad we finally agree on something.
   305. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 21, 2014 at 04:51 PM (#4675038)
As for the "ignore" silliness, I've never used it before and I'm not going to use it now.

I highly recommend it. Your bete-noire is on the small elite list of posters that I really enjoy not reading.
   306. zenbitz Posted: March 21, 2014 at 06:34 PM (#4675072)

ON TOPIC: is David Bowie's China Girl offensive?
   307. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 21, 2014 at 06:50 PM (#4675078)
ON TOPIC: is David Bowie's China Girl offensive?
I was actually tempted to have that played at my wedding reception...
   308. Lassus Posted: March 22, 2014 at 05:28 AM (#4675232)
Did she have those nails?

Also, regarding #302, ick.
Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sebastian
for his generous support.