Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 12, 2011

International Baseball Update (August 12, 2011)

WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC:

Contradictory reports from Japan on the quest by the NPB and it’s players to get more money from the WBC. The Yomiuri Shimbun reports that negotiations will continue in the US. But another report says that the demands have been outright rejected. The Japanese have reportedly said they wouldn’t take part if some sort of deal isn’t reached. The primary point of contention seems to be around the money that the Japanese team gets from sponsorships and merchandising. The various MLB-related stakeholders, of course, don’t want to give up any sort of revenue that they are already getting, so are stonewalling the Japanese. In other words, typical negotiations.

LITTLE LEAGUE WORLD SERIES:
The LLWS is approaching, with the US entrees and the Canadian one in qualifying right now. Already qualified: Kaohsiung (Taiwan/Taipei/Formosa/Whatever), Oranjestad (Aruba), Rotterdam (Netherlands- meaning, yes, there will be two teams of Honkballers because of Aruba), Hamamatsu City (Japan), Maracay (Venezuela), Dhahran (Saudi ARAMCO compound in Saudi Arabia- note that they LOST to a team from Uganda in qualifying, but Uganda was disqualified because the documents they gave the government to get their visas were pretty suspect) and Mexicali (Mexico). Lafayette, LA is the only US qualifier so far.

ASIA:
Speaking of Japan, Yakult Swallows and the Softbank Hawks are leading the Central and Pacific Leagues, respectively. The Pacific League is something of a laughing stock right now: Only the Nippon Ham Fighters are within 10 games of Softbank (they are 3.5 back). At least the Central has lots of teams grouped together at about 5 to 7 back….

Korea has had a lot of rain this season, and there have been problems in trying to figure out how to play them all.

As of Monday, the Lamigo Monkeys were leading the second half of the CPBL season in Japan. (The Uni-President Elephants won the first half)

The Tianjin Lions won China’s professional baseball league.

Gamingboy Posted: August 12, 2011 at 06:01 PM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: international, japan

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. vortex of dissipation Posted: August 12, 2011 at 06:05 PM (#3898751)
As of Monday, the Lamigo Monkeys were leading the second half of the CPBL season in Japan. (The Uni-President Elephants won the first half).

That should be Taiwan, of course, not Japan. I appreciate your International updates.
   2. Gamingboy Posted: August 12, 2011 at 06:17 PM (#3898759)
That should be Taiwan, of course, not Japan.

Yeah, of course.
   3. Greg K Posted: August 12, 2011 at 06:25 PM (#3898764)
Has there been any word on which nations are going to host the WBC qualifying pools?

Also would like to express appreciation for the international coverage
(Aside from the shocking lack of reporting on the British Baseball Federation season. Last week of the regular season!)
   4. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 12, 2011 at 06:31 PM (#3898768)
The BBF website is about 450,000% better than it was last year when I was trying to figure out if I could attend any games when I visited in September. There's standings and rosters! But no individual statistics. The Bolton Robots of Doom are tearing up the North division, behind star pitcher/1B Zak O'Boyle, who hails from the baseball hotbed of suburban Morecambe. Check out these results against the pathetic Oldham North Stars.
   5. Greg K Posted: August 12, 2011 at 06:34 PM (#3898771)
There's standings and rosters! But no individual statistics.

I beg to differ.
Link
Check out the OBP on that "G. Koabel". He must be as good at baseball as he is handsome.
   6. charityslave is thinking about baseball Posted: August 12, 2011 at 06:43 PM (#3898776)
Lafayette, LA is the only US qualifier so far.

We are all over the moon with pride down here in Cajun land. Our second trip to the series in the past 3 years. My son played on a team with the boy who got two ninth inning game winning hits in the series (a triple and a homer). It's been a great ride so far.
   7. vortex of dissipation Posted: August 12, 2011 at 06:44 PM (#3898777)
Check out the OBP on that "G. Koabel". He must be as good at baseball as he is handsome.

This would be you, I take it? :-)
   8. Greg K Posted: August 12, 2011 at 06:46 PM (#3898778)
This would be you, I take it? :-)

I'll say yes, provided you promise not to look at the pitching stats.
   9. Jay Seaver Posted: August 12, 2011 at 08:37 PM (#3898817)
(The Uni-President Elephants won the first half)

Not liking the new sponsor. "Brother Elephants" was right up there with "Nippon Ham Fighters" as my favorite foreign baseball team name.
   10. just plain joe Posted: August 12, 2011 at 08:53 PM (#3898827)
As of Monday, the Lamigo Monkeys were leading the second half of the CPBL season in Japan.

How could you not root for a team called the Monkeys. Wouldn't matter if they were in Japan, Korea or NYC, that is a team that I could get behind. Monkeys is a much better name for a team than Red Sox or Yankees :)
   11. Bourbon Samurai Posted: August 13, 2011 at 07:11 AM (#3899163)
Unquestionably. Can a Lamigo monkeys shirt be purchased somewhere? I'm in Indonesia right now, not too far for a shopping trip maybe.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.