Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Is Bill James Right about Ground Ball Pitchers and Injuries? | FanGraphs Baseball

Bill Petti’s initial study says he isn’t.

Jim Furtado Posted: March 24, 2013 at 08:56 AM | 4 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: sabermetrics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

   1. PASTE Will Notice Harper When He Hits .467 (Zeth) Posted: March 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM (#4395267)
Oh good, so we can continue arguing about sentence spacing here, right?

One space after a period is the obvious Right Thing and DEATH TO THE INFIDELS.
   2. Robinson Cano Plate Like Home Posted: March 24, 2013 at 02:01 PM (#4395299)
I'm no statistician, but it seems to me there's a flaw in comparing 25% of the population to the other 75%, because one group is 3 times bigger.
   3. Tom (and his broom) Posted: March 24, 2013 at 02:40 PM (#4395317)
The bigger flaw is that James was talking about pitchers who were extreme GB pitchers, not the top 25% but the top 2-3%. Pitchers whose gb rates differed from the median by a much more statistically significant amount. And not coincidentally were extremely effective.

   4. GotowarMissAgnes Posted: March 24, 2013 at 03:21 PM (#4395331)
No flaw in comparing different sized groups, as long as you recognize they'll have different levels of variation.

The article looks at the top 10%, T(AHB). Now, maybe you want to argue that it has to be on the top 2-3%, but at that point you are getting down to numbers where it would be close to impossible to prove much of anything.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.



<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF


Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.


You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

Newsblog2015 NL Wild Card Game OMNICHATTER
(104 - 3:29pm, Oct 07)
Last: Kiko Sakata

NewsblogOTP October 2015 II: Religion, Politics, Baseball - America's Favorite Pastimes Come Under the Microscope in Shaking the Tree's Gorgeous PASSION PLAY PART III
(95 - 3:23pm, Oct 07)
Last: You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR)

NewsblogReports: CC Sabathia's drinking spilled over into Yankees clubhouse
(19 - 3:20pm, Oct 07)
Last: Wins Above Paul Westerberg

NewsblogJoe Maddon is everything you want in a manager — and a person | Chicago Sun-Times
(4 - 3:02pm, Oct 07)
Last: Dan The Mediocre

NewsblogCardinals explain the Molina factor : Sports
(10 - 2:49pm, Oct 07)
Last: Pops Freshenmeyer

NewsblogBill Plaschke: It might be World Series or bust for Don Mattingly - LA Times
(8 - 2:39pm, Oct 07)
Last: hee came hee seop'd he choi'd

NewsblogToronto Blue Jays Big Favorites as 2015 MLB Postseason Begins
(19 - 2:35pm, Oct 07)
Last: Kiko Sakata

NewsblogMatt Harvey on missing playoff workout: 'I just screwed up' | Newsday
(120 - 2:31pm, Oct 07)
Last: The Good Face

NewsblogIchiro Suzuki signs with Miami Marlins |
(17 - 2:31pm, Oct 07)
Last: Gonfalon Bubble

NewsblogI Love Wrigley Field, But as a Wheelchair User, I Sure Wish It Was Easier to Navigate
(9 - 2:30pm, Oct 07)
Last: Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman

NewsblogMarlins' president Samson regrets unorthodox move of GM as manager - Sun Sentinel
(18 - 2:27pm, Oct 07)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogThe Cubs Might Have Screwed Themselves By Screwing Kris Bryant
(59 - 2:21pm, Oct 07)
Last: Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class

NewsblogArrieta-Cole, Objectively One of Best Playoff Matchups Ever | FanGraphs Baseball
(23 - 2:20pm, Oct 07)
Last: Spahn Insane is enjoying a peaty potation

NewsblogAlex Rodriguez embraces the underdog role, but Dallas Keuchel isn't buying it | Newsday
(24 - 1:57pm, Oct 07)
Last: SoSHially Unacceptable

Newsblog2016 HallOf Fame Pre-Integration Candidates Announced
(88 - 1:40pm, Oct 07)
Last: DanG

Page rendered in 0.1533 seconds
47 querie(s) executed